PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 17 09 22)

Jonnyboy
17-09-2022, 07:22 PM
Just home from the game and raging at Jim Goodwin’s post match comments and the hilarity of the Sportsound team to his use of the word ‘conning’ when talking of Ryan Porteous at the penalty incident. Goodwin is and always has been a walloper and there are two things that should come out of this – the SFA must take disciplinary action against him for accusing an opposing player of being a cheat and Hibs should be issuing a statement condemning the attack. As for Sportsound, amateurs the lot of them.

As to the game, Hibs made one change with Henderson dropping to the bench with debutant Mykola Kuharevich coming in, but the hosts found themselves behind, early in proceedings when slack play on the Hibs right allowed Coulson to deliver a cross into the centre and with both central defenders caught out, Duk flicked a header up and over the helpless Marshall. That reverse rattled Hibs, but they soon got their act together and began to use the flanks to stretch the Dons defence. Newell in particular was having some success with finding Boyle and Youan but the Aberdeen defence were doubling up on Boyle and Youan was too indecisive when in possession and often lost possession before he could deliver a ball into the box.

Around the quarter hour, Hibs had a stonewall claim for a penalty when a ball into the box clearly struck the outstretched arm of Scales but with both the ref and his West Stand assistant having a clear view, they awarded a corner instead. It was a shocking decision, and it is fair to say that referee David Dickinson would go on to make more with both sets of fans having the right to boo him for his nonsensical decisions.

It struck me that from the moment they took the lead, Aberdeen took every single opportunity to waste time which is baffling given the bulk of the game remained to be played. The worst offender was their keeper who was allowed to take an age at every goal kick. The hosts were pushing for an equaliser, but the Dons defended deep, choosing to try and punish Hibs on the counter attack. A fine Boyle delivery from a free kick picked out Porteous but Ryan’s header cleared the bar and then a Dons attack was halted by an offside decision. In rapid succession, Campbell and Youan had attempts with the first names seeing his blocked and the second’s flying high of the target.

Around the twenty five minute mark, Anthony Stewart was booked for a crude challenge on Kuharevich, the first of five yellow cards for the visitors. Soon after, a Joe Newell shot from the edge of the box was easily collected by Roos and a few minutes later Newell was set up by Youan, but his effort flew wide of the post. Hibs were building up a head of steam now and the Dons defence was under constant threat. In the space of around three minutes, Kuharevich saw a shot blocked before Youan suffered the same fate with one attempt and then forced a save from Roos with his second.

Kenneh, who had been having an up and down game was then booked for pulling back Coulson as the Aberdeen man threatened to break free before Cabraja fed a pass to Kuharevich, but the big striker’s shot cleared the bar. Three minutes from the interval, Liam Scales was booked for a pretty shocking challenge on Josh Campbell and then within a minute or two the Aberdeen man allowed Porteous to get goal side of him as a cross came into the box. Scales pulled Porteous down and without hesitation the referee pointed to the spot. Scales got a second yellow and a red and as Boyle prepared to take the spot kick, Lopes was caught trying to destroy the penalty spot by grinding his foot in and twisting it. Newell confronted him and as referee Dickinson was castigating Newell, Lopes did the same thing again, this time stopped by Josh Campbell. After all of that, Boyle buried the penalty and before the half time whistle went, Cadden was scythed down by Bojan Miovski who was rightly booked for the challenge.

I watched as the players trooped off at half time and was unsurprised to see Jim Goodwin taking the referee to task. Obviously angry at Porteous ‘conning’ the official he no doubt told Dickinson that Porto is a cheat and that he’d been duped.

With their man advantage, Hibs went at Aberdeen from the off and the visitors were soon camped deep in their own half. Cadden shot high and wide but moments later released Campbell with a wonderful pass inside the full back. Josh was at a tight angle and wrongly tried to beat Roos from close range when he had Kuharevich free on the six yard line. Kenneh and Newell were next to work the keeper, but the first’s header and the second’s shot failed to beat Roos. Soon after, a Cadden cross had Kuharevich trying an acrobatic attempt on goal that cleared the crossbar. Thinking back to when Hibs faced a ten man Killie, the Ayrshire side was well organised and hard to break down. For their part, Aberdeen looked a shambles and just past the hour mark they paid the price. A fine run and pass by Cadden found Campbell totally unmarked just inside the box. Josh took the ball in on the turn and steered a low shot into the net with Roos beaten.

The pressure was becoming relentless, and the Dons were defending for their lives by conceding an endless stream of corners from one of which, Porto was unlucky to head an effort just over. A Cabraja pass found Newell in space, but Joe couldn’t get any pace in his shot and then Youan took a pass from Campbell but dallied too long and was blocked out. With twenty minutes left and following a rare venture forward, Ramadani took a pass from Hayes but fired his shot wide of the target. With Youan running out of steam, Lee Johnson replaced him with Tavares and although he wasn’t directly involved, he arrived to see Hibs score a third just a minute later. A Cadden cross found the head of Kuharevich who cushioned the ball down to the waiting Campbell with Roos trying to rush out but beaten by the outstretched boot of the Hibs man.

Not long after going 3-1 ahead, Aberdeen launched a pacy counter attack and when Richardson fed the ball in to the unmarked Miovski the striker was six yards out but screwed his effort wide. Goodwin then made a couple of changes and added more forward players which allowed Aberdeen to play higher up the park. Within a minute or two of replacing Josh Campbell, Ewan Henderson found his name going into the book for tugging at a jersey and moments later, Hayes became the fourth Don to see yellow and in stoppage time, McRorie the fifth for hacking down Tavares.

A 3-1 win was well merited in my view, and I thought Hibs played some lovely stuff at times. My grumpy side says we should have converted more of our chances but, hey we’re up to fourth so I’m happy again.

The players – Man of the match goes to Josh Campbell for his goals and general contribution.

Marshall – No chance with the goal and had little to do otherwise. At one point in the first half, he bulleted a pass to Youan wide on the left around the half way line. A pass any one of our midfield players would have been proud of to make.

Cadden – Back to his best in my opinion, Chris was heavily involved throughout and had telling involvement in both of Campbell’s goals.

Porteous – Majestic at times he never looked troubled and showed the form we know he is well capable of. I worry that Goodwin’s public condemnation of Ryan will make the lad feel maybe he needs to get away from the goldfish bowl that is Scottish football.

Hanlon – Looking as though he’s getting back to his best and I’m encouraged to witness him reaching that level again.

Cabraja – Up against a pacy right sided Dons he coped very well and was never really found wanting.

Kenneh – As I said earlier, a bit of an up and down performance. It worries me that he doesn’t always sense the danger when in possession and gets his pocket picked as a result.

Newell – Nothing negative to say about Joe as he put in a top performance. Sure, he frustrates at times, but he was involved from start to finish today and was noticeably in the box more often.

Boyle – Looking fitter and fitter with each passing game, he was again a constant threat to a packed defence. Good penalty too.

Campbell – Two great goals and enormous energy in getting forward to help the strikers and back to help the defence.

Youan – I find him really frustrating at times. Hibs need to drum in to him the benefits of looking up for a team mate rather than trying to beat everyone himself.

Kuharevich – A very promising debut and he lasted longer than I thought he might. Held the ball up well, was competitive in the air and he doesn’t look shy about taking on a shot.

Doyle-Hayes – Played the holding role well.

Tavares – Good touch and looks happy to take on his man.

Henderson – Only on the park for a few minutes.

Bojang – Same as Henderson.

Lee Johnson – I listened to his post-match interview and liked what I heard.

Referee – David Dickinson was really very poor overall.

Benny Brazil
17-09-2022, 07:30 PM
That pass from Marshall was brilliant - can't say I remember seeing a Hibs keeper with distribution as good as his for years

Boominator
17-09-2022, 07:31 PM
Cheers dude

Bridge hibs
17-09-2022, 07:35 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy, was worth waiting for 👍

Hiber-nation
17-09-2022, 07:36 PM
Thought Cadden was excellent today and I'm not a huge fan. Campbell was Pat McGinlay-esque. Great to see.

I thought Boyler met his match in their LB Coulson who was really quick.

Keith_M
17-09-2022, 07:41 PM
That pass from Marshall was brilliant - can't say I remember seeing a Hibs keeper with distribution as good as his for years

:agree:

gbhibby
17-09-2022, 08:24 PM
Ryan is being streetwise. Goodwin should know better than to make comments like that. Hope he is hauled up before the beaks for it. Sportscene seem to have a fixation with us and any decisions we get any the over analysis is getting a bit tiring. Great report by the way.

Eyrie
17-09-2022, 09:48 PM
One minor addition to your report.

Newell didn't just confront Lopes for trying to mess up the penalty spot, he also very deliberately stood on the offending foot :greengrin

Northernhibee
17-09-2022, 09:57 PM
I have to be honest, having seen the replays a few times, I’d be raging if the penalty was given against us. It was good two players giving as good as they got and although Goodwin’s words were way OTT, I can understand his frustration.

At least one blatant penalty not given for handball however so it evens itseld
out.

RIP
17-09-2022, 10:48 PM
I have to be honest, having seen the replays a few times, I’d be raging if the penalty was given against us. It was good two players giving as good as they got and although Goodwin’s words were way OTT, I can understand his frustration.

out.
Was it last season or the one before that Ryan won an almost identical penalty against the Sheep?

Iain G
18-09-2022, 12:14 AM
A wee bit mean I think with your comment on Cabraja, he played well going forward, passed the ball effectively and put in some great crosses again!

There was one great cross field ball to Boyle (I think) that was inch perfect!

Musselbound
18-09-2022, 01:20 AM

Not in the thirty odd years I've been watching Hibs anyway.

Musselbound
18-09-2022, 01:25 AM

out.

Mainly in agreement. I'm not raging at Goidwin as I think many of us would've been the same if the tables had been turned. Thought it was a soft pen although the Aberdeen player could have potentially been sent off for what was a really wild first yellow challenge.

Musselbound
18-09-2022, 01:27 AM

Not in the thirty odd years I've been watching Hibs anyway.

PatHead
18-09-2022, 07:33 AM
Mainly in agreement. I'm not raging at Goidwin as I think many of us would've been the same if the tables had been turned. Thought it was a soft pen although the Aberdeen player could have potentially been sent off for what was a really wild first yellow challenge.

I think it was a definite penalty, not soft at all.

Defenders are going to have to adjust to defending the ball rather than physically assaulting the attacker once VAR comes in. Thanks for the report JB.

CockneyRebel
18-09-2022, 07:48 AM
]I have to be honest, having seen the replays a few times, I’d be raging if the penalty was given against us. It was good two players giving as good as they got and although Goodwin’s words were way OTT,[/B] I can understand his frustration.

out.

At the game I felt the penalty was well justified. After watching the highlights later last night I came to the same conclusion as you. Lucky to get the penalty but unlucky with two handballs in the box, neither of which were discussed on the BBCs pathetic excuse for a highlights show. What have Hibs done to deserve such obvious one-sided treatment?

Also, what is the point of having two linesmen who contribute nothing to a match?

scm70nyd1973
18-09-2022, 09:35 AM

I’m raging at Goodwin for being personal.

My view is that Goodwin should just not mention any names and he and others should get off the bandwagon of personally criticising players such as Boyle and Porteous - especially the younger ones - it makes my blood boil.

I am sure lots of Managers have pre match words with officials but they don’t need to go public with it and demonise certain players 😡

Tambo
18-09-2022, 11:02 AM
One thing that needs to be pointed out was the fans yesterday.

Was a good atmosphere for a non old firm/hearts game.

NAE NOOKIE
18-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Having seen the penalty incident on TV I also have to agree that Goodwin has a point about the incident, I would have been raging if it had been given against us.

But as others are saying we could easily have had at least one pen for handball and from a personal POV somebody should ask Goodwin what part of football as entertainment includes deliberate and systematic time wasting from the second your team goes in front, even if that's in the first 10 minutes. If for no other reason Aberdeen got exactly what they deserved yesterday ............ nowt.

CyberSauzee
18-09-2022, 07:42 PM
A wee bit mean I think with your comment on Cabraja, he played well going forward, passed the ball effectively and put in some great crosses again!

There was one great cross field ball to Boyle (I think) that was inch perfect!

Agree with that, Cabraja was excellent especially second half. Always trying to get involved and be a threat. Cadden was also excellent after a few not so good games. We're starting to get a settled back line now in front of an outstanding goalkeeper.

No games now until October, gives us time to get more players back from injury. I'm more optimistic now than a month ago so well done to the management and squad.

B.H.F.C
18-09-2022, 07:51 PM
Agree with that, Cabraja was excellent especially second half. Always trying to get involved and be a threat. Cadden was also excellent after a few not so good games. We're starting to get a settled back line now in front of an outstanding goalkeeper.

No games now until October, gives us time to get more players back from injury. I'm more optimistic now than a month ago so well done to the management and squad.

Cadden and Cabraja were both superb yesterday. Along with Porteous I thought they really drove us up the park in the second half.

Iain G
18-09-2022, 08:50 PM

And time for the manger and coach to get their ideas further embedded into the players.

Unseen work
19-09-2022, 12:15 AM
As a vocal critic of Cadden earlier in the season it’s only right I praise him when he performs. I said it against Kilmarnock and I’ll do the same for his performance against Aberdeen.

He was brilliant. Defensively solid and his energy to get up and down the pitch was excellent. The things I have criticised him for before is his use of ball, I can’t fault him whatsoever as it was excellent. Some of the passes he played from a deeper position were exceptional;

- Through ball to Campbell for his chance pre goal
- Through ball to Porteous for his cross

There was one other which I annoyingly can’t remember, I want to say it’s the one where Campbell ran onto it, cut it back and Mykolo was unlucky not to tap it in. All very similar passes where he’s putting a bit of bend on them to get it between and behind centre half/full back for our forwards to run on to.

Then there’s obviously the pass for the goal and the cross for the 3rd.

The runs off the ball are clearly helping but the execution of some of them are brilliant and I really hope he continues with this form.

Brilliant.

Donegal Hibby
19-09-2022, 12:47 AM
As a vocal critic of Cadden earlier in the season it’s only right I praise him when he performs. I said it against Kilmarnock and I’ll do the same for his performance against Aberdeen.

He was brilliant. Defensively solid and his energy to get up and down the pitch was excellent. The things I have criticised him for before is his use of ball, I can’t fault him whatsoever as it was excellent. Some of the passes he played from a deeper position were exceptional;

- Through ball to Campbell for his chance pre goal
- Through ball to Porteous for his cross

There was one other which I annoyingly can’t remember, I want to say it’s the one where Campbell ran onto it, cut it back and Mykolo was unlucky not to tap it in. All very similar passes where he’s putting a bit of bend on them to get it between and behind centre half/full back for our forwards to run on to.

Then there’s obviously the pass for the goal and the cross for the 3rd.

The runs off the ball are clearly helping but the execution of some of them are brilliant and I really hope he continues with this form.

Brilliant.
Cadden was excellent . Pass to Campbell was very good after a good run forward for first goal . Cross into MyKola for Campbell's second was class . Actually thought he was a bit unlucky not to get man of the match.

James70
20-09-2022, 07:23 AM
Very impressed by Campbell, less so by Tavares who failed to get past the defender every time he had the ball. Still to be convinced by him and Bojang. Youan has the makings of a good player. A little concerned that Aberdeen were allowed two open goals which they messed up.

JimBHibees
21-09-2022, 08:41 AM
Very impressed by Campbell, less so by Tavares who failed to get past the defender every time he had the ball. Still to be convinced by him and Bojang. Youan has the makings of a good player. A little concerned that Aberdeen were allowed two open goals which they messed up.

Can remember one time Tavares did and was taken out at the knee. Two open goals can remember one by Mavioski no idea when a second was as think they had the ball in our box about three times. We really should have hammered them by more than we did.

nickwhibs
21-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Can remember one time Tavares did and was taken out at the knee. Two open goals can remember one by Mavioski no idea when a second was as think they had the ball in our box about three times. We really should have hammered them by more than we did.

Exactly