PDA

View Full Version : Ballingarry-born founder of Scottish side Hibernian FC to be honoured

Hibby Gav
05-09-2022, 05:02 PM
The full story here …

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/900435/ballingarry-born-founder-of-scottish-side-hibernian-fc-to-be-honoured.html

ggtth

Bridge hibs
05-09-2022, 05:05 PM
Worky linky

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/900435/ballingarry-born-founder-of-scottish-side-hibernian-fc-to-be-honoured.html

05-09-2022, 05:15 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting.

Weststandwanab
05-09-2022, 05:17 PM
Thanks for posting that it was a great read.

Scotty Leither
05-09-2022, 05:19 PM
What an extremely moving article.

I've traced my own family's roots back to 1840 and my paternal great-great grandmother came to the Cowgate from Ireland around 1850. It gives me immense pride to think they would have been around at the inception of the club, and we still have familial links to the Cowgate, Grassmarket and Fountainbridge even now.

I hope the boys and girls from the deputation from St Pats have a whale of a time when they're over there in September.

Glory, glory, to the Hibees.

Hibby Gav
05-09-2022, 05:21 PM
Worky linky

thanks mate :thumbsup:

GORDONSMITH7
05-09-2022, 05:25 PM
Firstly I would like to thank fellow St. Patrick's Branch member, Mark Shipway in Leeds who patiently, over a period of time made the mosaic and without which this event would not be taking place. I would also like to thank Branch Committee member Brian Duffy for the excellent article above and the efforts of fellow St. Patricks Committee members and Ballingary AFC Committee for making this happen.
Suffice to say that the Hibernian administration have been very supportive exemplified by them working closely with us and being represented by Hibs Director Stephen Dunn, who will be one of the mains speakers at the event in Ballingary.

BIG G

Bridge hibs
05-09-2022, 05:25 PM
thanks mate :thumbsup:No probs mate and thanks for posting, will have a good read of that later 👍

Scotty Leither
05-09-2022, 05:30 PM
Firstly I would like to thank fellow St. Patrick's Branch member, Mark Shipway in Leeds who patiently, over a period of time made the mosaic and without which this event would not be taking place. I would also like to thank Branch Committee member Brian Duffy for the excellent article above and the efforts of fellow St. Patricks Committee members and Ballingary AFC Committee for making this happen.
Suffice to say that the Hibernian administration have been very supportive exemplified by them working closely with us and being represented by Hibs Director Stephen Dunn, who will be one of the mains speakers at the event in Ballingary.

BIG G

Have a ball when you're over there, G. I'll hear all aboot it nae doubt!

05-09-2022, 05:35 PM

BIG G

Brilliant stuff. Thanks to Mark for his part in breaking the curse.

05-09-2022, 05:37 PM
What an extremely moving article.

I've traced my own family's roots back to 1840 and my paternal great-great grandmother came to the Cowgate from Ireland around 1850. It gives me immense pride to think they would have been around at the inception of the club, and we still have familial links to the Cowgate, Grassmarket and Fountainbridge even now.

I hope the boys and girls from the deputation from St Pats have a whale of a time when they're over there in September.

Glory, glory, to the Hibees.

Fantastic. 👍

DaveF
05-09-2022, 05:39 PM
That was a good read but part of me is a little disappointed that the club didnt have any interest in displaying the mosaic harp.

Why is / was that?

Antifa Hibs
05-09-2022, 06:04 PM
That was a good read but part of me is a little disappointed that the club didnt have any interest in displaying the mosaic harp.

Why is / was that?

Likewise. Used to be displayed in Main Stand reception with 2 busts (assuming Cannon Hannon and Whelan), was definitely there in 2016. It's an iconic piece that goes back decades, probably nearer a century (I know this is a remake) so disappointing it couldn't be incorporated into the new hospitality or changing rooms or something.

Anyway, hope the St Pats guys have a blast. Still hoping we get back to Ireland for a game or 3 in 2025 as part of the 150 year birthday party.

Keith_M
05-09-2022, 06:12 PM
Worky linky

That;s a brilliant article, a really interesting read.

:thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
05-09-2022, 06:23 PM

BIG GA great read G, thanks and appreciation due to the many who have stuck with this through thick and thin.

Some achievement to finally get the mosaic in place.

Take care.GGTTH

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Malthibby
05-09-2022, 06:24 PM
Thank god, for a second I read that as Ballingry.....:bitchy:

GORDONSMITH7
05-09-2022, 06:28 PM
A great read G, thanks and appreciation due to the many who have stuck with this through thick and thin.

Some achievement to finally get the mosaic in place.

Take care.GGTTH

See you sooner rather than later amigo.

Bostonhibby
05-09-2022, 06:50 PM
See you sooner rather than later amigo.[emoji106] long overdue.

brog
05-09-2022, 06:53 PM
Well done to all concerned.

Lago
05-09-2022, 07:10 PM
Worky linky

That's a lovely piece, thank you.

I'm_cabbaged
05-09-2022, 07:15 PM
What a brilliant wee read!!

I'm_cabbaged
05-09-2022, 07:16 PM

Why is / was that?

Aye, why is that?

gbhibby
05-09-2022, 07:41 PM
Great read. We need statues outside the ground of our founders.

Bridge hibs
05-09-2022, 07:44 PM
That's a lovely piece, thank you.I never posted the link mate I just re-posted the link to make it readable, credit to Hibby Gav who posted the original 👍

Mick O'Rourke
05-09-2022, 07:56 PM
Great read. We need statues outside the ground of our founders.

Yes ,its fantastic that we have fans who remember and cherish our roots and this event coming up should signal to the club that the main stand at The Holy Ground should be named in honour of our beloved founder ASAP.

Alan Lugton will be proudly smiling down at the ceremony in Ballingarry

Well done St Patrick's Branch and all the others who made this possible

HGSP

"And if you know your history"
"Glory Glory to The Hibees"

And still i live and hope to see the Scottish Cup once more !!:greengrin

IberianHibernian
05-09-2022, 09:15 PM
Very interesting read . Well done to all involved in arranging this .
About the harp mosaic , this is a copy of the original which the Swan family have . Is that right ?

One Day
06-09-2022, 07:49 AM
Very good article

AltheHibby
06-09-2022, 08:01 AM
Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

The Harp Awakes
06-09-2022, 09:18 AM

BIG G

Hear hear Gordon.

A lasting tribute to our founder's legacy in his birth town. Clearly a lot of hard work has gone into making this happen. Well done St Patrick's branch and to all concerned :top marks

Can't wait to be there :flag:

GGTTH

Mick O'Rourke
06-09-2022, 09:45 AM
Very interesting read . Well done to all involved in arranging this .
About the harp mosaic , this is a copy of the original which the Swan family have . Is that right ?

The harp mosaic was in Harry's office for years.
By all accounts when Harry Swan died,the Harp was presented to his widow.
It would be of interest,of course, to know if the Swan family still have it.
For years i thought it had been lost.
Maybe someone involved in the Ballingarry event knows.

GORDONSMITH7
06-09-2022, 11:34 AM
The harp mosaic was in Harry's office for years.
By all accounts when Harry Swan died,the Harp was presented to his widow.
It would be of interest,of course, to know if the Swan family still have it.
For years i thought it had been lost.
Maybe someone involved in the Ballingarry event knows.

Hibs Director Stephen Dunn,who will be speaking on behalf of the Club at the event and has been involved with the Hibernian Historical Trust over the years may know Mick. We'll ask the question.

BIG G

pogo
06-09-2022, 11:47 AM
I live fairly close to Ballingarry and was thinking of going up for the event. Does anyone have any info on times?

Mick O'Rourke
06-09-2022, 11:56 AM
Hibs Director Stephen Dunn,who will be speaking on behalf of the Club at the event and has been involved with the Hibernian Historical Trust over the years may know Mick. We'll ask the question.

BIG G
Thanks G
Just to add to the harp story

I saw the following in the archive here from 2013
Written by "brizo"

The clubs origianal harp and shamrock crest remained on the stadium wall until the mid 1950s when it was taken down during rebuilding work. A painting of it was commissioned and hung in the Boardroom. When Harry Swan died the painting was gifted to his wife.

So that viewpoint does not suggest the harp itself was gifted to the Swan family.
Older members of my family thought it went when the stadium wall it decorated was demolished/rebuilt.
Or one of the workers took it.
So many theories down the years.

GORDONSMITH7
06-09-2022, 12:25 PM
Thanks G
Just to add to the harp story

I saw the following in the archive here from 2013
Written by "brizo"

The clubs origianal harp and shamrock crest remained on the stadium wall until the mid 1950s when it was taken down during rebuilding work. A painting of it was commissioned and hung in the Boardroom. When Harry Swan died the painting was gifted to his wife.

So that viewpoint does not suggest the harp itself was gifted to the Swan family.
Older members of my family thought it went when the stadium wall it decorated was demolished/rebuilt.
Or one of the workers took it.
So many theories down the years.

At my advanced years my memory isnae too hot but at the back of my head I think I read that a replica of it made by Irish craftsmen was presented to her.Time for me to look through Alan Lugtons splendid books I think.

BIG G

OstKurve Hibs
06-09-2022, 02:49 PM
Was reading this the other day, quiet fancy goin over for it.

BS44
06-09-2022, 03:54 PM
I live fairly close to Ballingarry and was thinking of going up for the event. Does anyone have any info on times?

Send a message to this email and they'll give you arrangements for Saturday in Ballingarry, [email protected]

You could have put us all up, saved everyone a few bob on their digs! Do you have a fire and plenty turf?

Carheenlea
06-09-2022, 04:42 PM
Will this mosaic be on public display outside the ground or within the ground itself I wonder?

I’m a regular visitor to Galway and would like to take a trip down to Ballingarry to see the mosaic some time, but if not on public display I do still feel an obligation to visit Ballingarry regardless.

pogo
06-09-2022, 09:39 PM
Send a message to this email and they'll give you arrangements for Saturday in Ballingarry, [email protected]

You could have put us all up, saved everyone a few bob on their digs! Do you have a fire and plenty turf?

Thanks for the info!
I live in Killarney Kerry, an hour(ish) from Ballingarry.
Have a stove but we're not allowed to burn turf here now😁

Pagan Hibernia
07-09-2022, 10:52 AM
Will this mosaic be on public display outside the ground or within the ground itself I wonder?

I’m a regular visitor to Galway and would like to take a trip down to Ballingarry to see the mosaic some time, but if not on public display I do still feel an obligation to visit Ballingarry regardless.

yeah, I live in belfast and I’d love to drive down for this but will be out of the country for this event. Still hope to go down sometime and would love to see the mosaic

Hibiza
07-09-2022, 03:34 PM

If we manage to get it be great to see it in place somewhere in / on the stadium.

The Harp Awakes
15-09-2022, 12:00 AM

Don't know for sure but maybe one of the St Patrick's committee members would know?

The Harp Awakes
16-09-2022, 09:10 AM

Apparently the harp will be held on a commemorative wall at the Ballingarry AFC grounds (The Paddocks), so outside. We don’t think the ground has gates to it, so it should be available to view at any time.

Will confirm 100% after the event :aok:

vercol36
17-09-2022, 09:35 AM
Sorry folks I can’t read the article - website doesn’t seem to work on my phone. Can someone let me know when this is - is it tomorrow?

pogo
17-09-2022, 09:52 AM
Sorry folks I can’t read the article - website doesn’t seem to work on my phone. Can someone let me know when this is - is it tomorrow?

It's next Saturday.

https://www.theirishvoice.com/news/hibs-supporters-to-bring-harp-home-to-ballingarry/

Cut and paste link into your browser.

Mick O'Rourke
17-09-2022, 09:59 AM

I got this info from St Patrick's Branch website (News tab)
There is a lot of detail there to assist those attending.

Saturday 24th September

Ballingarry FC youth football match at 12.30

Formal Ceremony 3.00pm

Edit
More info and background here
Great photo too!

https://www.theirishvoice.com/news/hibs-supporters-to-bring-harp-home-to-ballingarry/

Carheenlea
17-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Apparently the harp will be held on a commemorative wall at the Ballingarry AFC grounds (The Paddocks), so outside. We don’t think the ground has gates to it, so it should be available to view at any time.

Will confirm 100% after the event :aok:

Wonderful, thanks for the information.

Look forward to hearing how the unveiling event goes and look forward myself to travelling down over the festive period when next over.

GORDONSMITH7
22-09-2022, 06:57 PM
Director Stephen Dunn speaking on behalf of Hibernian.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-supporters-travel-to-ireland-to-honour-clubs-founder-with-permanent-memorial-3852844

BIG G

Leith Green
22-09-2022, 07:26 PM
Thats crazy , i hadn’t realised the story about the harp mosaic being placed in the west stand the season we won the cup. Im not one for myths and stories of curses , but that is quality.. 💚

Mick O'Rourke
22-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Thats crazy , i hadn’t realised the story about the harp mosaic being placed in the west stand the season we won the cup. Im not one for myths and stories of curses , but that is quality.. ��

Spooky,isnt it? boo hoo ! .
Add to that,we beat Zombies to win it .

The gypsy is lying at rest now !

Carheenlea
24-09-2022, 12:11 PM
From The Hibernian Historical Trust FB page -

🤝Ahead of the St Patricks Hibernian Supporters Branch commemorative event this afternoon, our Trustee and Hibernian Football Club Director Stephen met John Cronin of Ballingarry Afc to exchange pennants.

https://i.postimg.cc/HWFgWhL9/889-C0-A7-C-35-D6-4276-B2-AA-EC2-AF9-F72-D9-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/NL8VpbmK)

HHT
24-09-2022, 01:39 PM
We are receiving regular updates from Stephen so be sure to follow us on our socials - https://twitter.com/HibsTrust

Few more pictures from today so far -

https://i.imgur.com/waftUZl.jpg

https://imgur.com/WPgfrHVhttps://i.imgur.com/v5RwnCf.jpg

BS44
24-09-2022, 04:29 PM
Is it possible to post photos on mobile site? I've tried switching to desktop but somehow ended up on a rugby forum

Keith_M
24-09-2022, 04:37 PM
Is it possible to post photos on mobile site? I've tried switching to desktop but somehow ended up on a rugby forum

Exact same thing happened to me when I tried the link at the bottom of the page.

I got it sorted by switching back to the mobile site, then changing to the Desktop View in the Browser settings.

Be warned, everything will look absolutely tiny, but you should be able to zoom in.

Bostonhibby
25-09-2022, 08:04 AM
Thought I'd share this here.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220925/2881352dad5f7a3ad1ad781eba37cd8a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220925/1ee7d10e7d1ef0d655dd32935040d27d.jpg

Mick O'Rourke
25-09-2022, 08:55 AM
The Pride of Ballingarry.
Great day for the St Patrick's Hibees and our Irish brothers and sisters for their hard work in making this all happen.

I hope our club custodians recognise that something similar at the Holy Ground would be welcomed by most supporters of the club .
Something that many have called on/desired for many years.
Its time to name the West Stand after our founder .

GGTTH
HGSP

Keith_M
25-09-2022, 09:47 AM
Fantastic stuff, thanks for the updates guys.

:aok:

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2022, 01:03 PM
The Pride of Ballingarry.
Great day for the St Patrick's Hibees and our Irish brothers and sisters for their hard work in making this all happen.

I hope our club custodians recognise that something similar at the Holy Ground would be welcomed by most supporters of the club .
Something that many have called on/desired for many years.
Its time to name the West Stand after our founder .

GGTTH
HGSP
Think this is a outstanding idea naming one of our stands after our founder and imo really should happen sooner rather than later in honour of him.

gbhibby
25-09-2022, 01:07 PM
Think this is a outstanding idea naming one of our stands after our founder and imo really should happen sooner rather than later in honour of him.
The South Stand would be a good shout.

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2022, 02:46 PM
The South Stand would be a good shout.
For. me the west stands a good choice though if some fans like the south that's fine maybe a vote on it to see most popular choice . Something that should be done to honour him imo . Could have a official opening and invite the good people of Ballingarry over for it too

chippy
25-09-2022, 04:36 PM
For. me the west stands a good choice though if some fans like the south that's fine maybe a vote on it to see most popular choice . Something that should be done to honour him imo . Could have a official opening and invite the good people of Ballingarry over for it too
I think the South Stand mention is a bit tongue in cheek. To wind up Sevco and Jambos

Mick O'Rourke
25-09-2022, 05:27 PM
I think the South Stand mention is a bit tongue in cheek. To wind up Sevco and Jambos

Yes ,when the "stand naming" topic came up before, i suggested the South be named "The St Patrick's Stand" incorporating
"The Holy Ground" hospitality suite.
Some chance !!

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2022, 05:54 PM
Yeah Just playing along with it . Having 3 or 4 thousand hearts or rangers fans in the"Cannon Hannon stand" doesn't really sound right.

Bostonhibby
25-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Yeah Just playing along with it . Having 3 or 4 thousand hearts or rangers fans in the"Cannon Hannon stand" doesn't really sound right. I could probably tolerate three or four thousand of them being rammed into a cannon though[emoji6]

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2022, 06:52 PM
I could probably tolerate three or four thousand of them being rammed into a cannon though[emoji6]

:fire::greengrin

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2022, 07:34 PM
Still think it would be a good idea to name a stand after our founder though lots of clubs naming stands after companies or businesses now for financial gain so probably won't happen.

gbhibby
25-09-2022, 07:41 PM
Yes ,when the "stand naming" topic came up before, i suggested the South be named "The St Patrick's Stand" incorporating
"The Holy Ground" hospitality suite.
Some chance !!
My response was tongue in cheek. A statue at the back of the West Stand would be best and special gates commissioned for the entrance into the East Stand for both founders of the club.

Carheenlea
25-09-2022, 07:56 PM
The event appears to have been a great success and the mosaic and plaques look absolutely fantastic.

A terrific initiative from St Patrick’s Branch and forging a friendship and connection between Ballingarry and Edinburgh can only be a good thing.

Everyone be who made this possible is deserving of a lot of credit :top marks

Mick O'Rourke
26-09-2022, 11:16 AM
Big G and The St Patrick's Branch have added some lovely pictures of the event on the Bounce.
Thread title "Mosaic Harp"
Our club history from the famine to the Cowgate and persecution would be worthy of TV series.
Adversity and the animus? It seems sometimes nothing changed much !
We are so much more than a football club.
I hope our younger Hibernians ensure our reason for being is not forgotten and we continue to strive in the way of our Fathers in serving the community along with entertaining on the park.

We are all St Patrick's Boys. I am certainly proud to be a descendant of those,who,against all the odds........ Persevered

HGSP
GGTTH

GORDONSMITH7
26-09-2022, 02:18 PM
Quote of the day was when in his address, St. Patrick's Branch Chairperson Dougie McLeod said 'Always remind the other team that were second to wear the green, that if it wasn't for a young man born in your small village of Ballingarry, that they would not exist.

BIG G

The Harp Awakes
26-09-2022, 11:35 PM
The day will live long in my memory. Not an easy place to get to and it cost each of us a good bit of dosh, but I would make the trip 500 times over.

Ballingarry AFC and the local people of the town welcomed us with open arms. A big connection has been forged between the communities and it will only become stronger through time.

PS - the Dublin Hibs contingent were delighted with the bar prices too.

cabbageandribs1875
01-10-2022, 05:17 PM
https://scontent.fman1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/307773932_517461473715081_1933369095675804199_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=9BLjqhgsFfIAX9WL_7f&tn=vIvSFNl06GFFe0Qb&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-2.fna&oh=00_AT8nHEY5txIN1XEBl14g4n0wH4ebBoeSDBcryLWCiwWK BQ&oe=633E21A4

https://scontent.fman1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/309067509_517461163715112_804344171129733923_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=-_C7F47j9D8AX9rm8-b&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-1.fna&oh=00_AT-XT1TX_K7ne8kqGYgNpFfDbPkwL2PoYUZOArgA-uz25Q&oe=633DC2F8