PDA

View Full Version : Ron's Boy

Nakedmanoncrack
02-09-2022, 09:34 PM
So what happened to the thread about our head of recruitment?

Unseen work
02-09-2022, 10:11 PM
Deserves credit for some of the business we’ve done this window.

Marshall
Boyle
McGeady
Youan
Cabraja
McKirdy

All have are known quality of showing their quality, getting Boyle back alone is incredible and McKirdy seemed like one of Johnson’s top targets.

Recruited a lot of young promising players, some shown more than others right now but we have a strong squad. We can speak about the lack of centre mids but they seem happy with what we’ve got in there.

Looking forward to seeing a fully fit squad, if it ever happens.

Davy Mac
02-09-2022, 10:55 PM
In my opinion, Hibs need to employ a proper PR machine to take the heat off him. Sometimes all your good work can go unnoticed or being too quiet, he needs an aide to engage with the fans. He will learn in time, you need to work the fans first and foremost. But credit is due to the fella and his father.

McGruber
03-09-2022, 09:13 AM
Deserves credit for some of the business we’ve done this window.

Marshall
Boyle
McGeady
Youan
Cabraja
McKirdy

All have are known quality of showing their quality, getting Boyle back alone is incredible and McKirdy seemed like one of Johnson’s top targets.

Recruited a lot of young promising players, some shown more than others right now but we have a strong squad. We can speak about the lack of centre mids but they seem happy with what we’ve got in there.

Looking forward to seeing a fully fit squad, if it ever happens.

Agree completely. Well done Ian Gordon and the recruitment team, some tremendous players and deals in there for the club. Really excited with the prospects of our attacking options. The business to bring Boyle back alone was sensational and McKirdy was the top target and just have a feeling he's going to be a goalscoring fans favourite pretty soon.
Boyle, McKirdy and Youan - all look like they will be big players for us and to get those 3 in the same window really has been great business.
That trio could cause havoc, only it's missing a physical presence.. but we also sign a 6 ft 4 Ukranian U21 internationalist. Outstanding. Not to say this lad will be any good or not, who knows, but a different option anyway.

Boyle
McKirdy
Youan
Kurkharevych

Attacking options brought in during one window - in addition to McGeady, Tavares and Bojang. Who knows how these 3 will fare during the season. McGeady obvious quality but injury prone (?), Tavares and Bojang looking raw and in need of development. See how they go but we are well stocked.

Brought in David Marshall - outstanding bit of business for us. Never realised his distribution with his feet was so good and that's a real bonus for how Johnson wants to play

Cabraja in as replacement for Doig - looks class.

Kenneh, Miller.. jury is out but both look to have promise.

There's been great business done for one window. I doubt Johnson expected to fix everything in one window but that's a big turnover.

All the above (and absolutely granted we don't know how some of the young lads/new players to Scottish football are going to get on) and some have the window down as 'abysmal'. Some of the stuff on here last couple days has been toxic. Even the McKirdy deal people losing their ***** without having any idea of the ins and outs of it.

So all is Rosey? Oh no far from it. Dominant Centre back and hole in centre mid still staring us in the face.
Those were the 2 I was looking for before anything else so that's disappointing but there are loads of other positives. Up to the coaching team now to find a balance that works - or in Jan we go again.

3 points today. GGTTH

Lago
03-09-2022, 10:29 AM
:aok:
Agree completely. Well done Ian Gordon and the recruitment team, some tremendous players and deals in there for the club. Really excited with the prospects of our attacking options. The business to bring Boyle back alone was sensational and McKirdy was the top target and just have a feeling he's going to be a goalscoring fans favourite pretty soon.
Boyle, McKirdy and Youan - all look like they will be big players for us and to get those 3 in the same window really has been great business.
That trio could cause havoc, only it's missing a physical presence.. but we also sign a 6 ft 4 Ukranian U21 internationalist. Outstanding. Not to say this lad will be any good or not, who knows, but a different option anyway.

Boyle
McKirdy
Youan
Kurkharevych

Attacking options brought in during one window - in addition to McGeady, Tavares and Bojang. Whi knows how these 3 will fare during the season. McGeady obvious quality but injury prone (?), Tavares and Bojang looking raw and in need of development. See how they go but we are well stocked.

Brought in David Marshall - outstanding bit of business for us. Never realised his distribution with his feet was so good and that's a real bonus for how Johnson wants to play

There's been great business done for one window. I doubt Johnson expected to fix everything in one window but that's a big turnover.

All the above (and absolutely granted we don't know how some of the young lads/new players to Scottish football are going to get on) and some have the window down as 'abysmal'. Some of the stuff on here last couple days has been toxic. Even the McKirdy deal people losing their ***** without having any idea of the ins and outs of it.

So all is Rosey? Oh no far from it. Dominant Centre back and hole in centre mid still staring us in the face.
Those were the 2 I was looking for before anything else so disappointing there are loads of other positives. Up to the coaching team now to find a balance that works - or in Jan we go again.

3 points today. GGTTH

Centre Hawf
03-09-2022, 11:05 AM

Boyle
McKirdy
Youan
Kurkharevych

Attacking options brought in during one window - in addition to McGeady, Tavares and Bojang. Who knows how these 3 will fare during the season. McGeady obvious quality but injury prone (?), Tavares and Bojang looking raw and in need of development. See how they go but we are well stocked.

Those were the 2 I was looking for before anything else so that's disappointing but there are loads of other positives. Up to the coaching team now to find a balance that works - or in Jan we go again.

3 points today. GGTTH

I think this is a huge point that people should remember. We got rid of a lot of players already and brought in a lot of players as well. On a normal season the amount we've brought in (even just first team guys) is probably quite high. I know people wanted X Y Z to leave and a few more in but some people forget that getting rid of players can be difficult, we've seen that with Doidge.

Overall we've brought in a fair whack and there's still a few to come back from injury, it'll be a bumpy road I think until January but we've got a World Cup break to help us get some of these guys back firing. Fingers crossed we're still in the hunt for Europe and we can really go for it.

h1bs4life
03-09-2022, 11:17 AM
The personal stuff is out of order and some of the comments people getting annoyed cause Hibs were not signing the players they wanted never mind what was available was embarrassing.
Mind you some were saying we would not sell many season tickets, we wouldn’t sell out Hertz game etc .
I like Ron no problem with him wanting his own people and moving on some that have been here years maybe got complacent they should do the same with some of the players .
Going to take 2 or 3 transfer windows to sort out the mess mostly left by Ross Johnson is the man to do that

Smartie
03-09-2022, 11:23 AM
I’m not going to pretend not to have reservations about the guy but Hibs and his own Dad have thrown him to the wolves.

They could do an awful lot to take the pressure of him with a few communication features where they stick him in front of a camera, get him to discuss his role and helping emphasise the point that he’s not choosing who comes in to play for Hibs. And to show that he’s a decent guy, and competent.

The longer they opt not to do this, the more room they leave for fans to assume that either he is actually choosing who comes to play for Hibs or is possibly a complete imbecile who they cannot trust to be presented to the fans in any way.

superfurryhibby
03-09-2022, 11:29 AM
The personal stuff is out of order and some of the comments people getting annoyed cause Hibs were not signing the players they wanted never mind what was available was embarrassing.
Mind you some were saying we would not sell many season tickets, we wouldn’t sell out Hertz game etc .
I like Ron no problem with him wanting his own people and moving on some that have been here years maybe got complacent they should do the same with some of the players .
Going to take 2 or 3 transfer windows to sort out the mess mostly left by Ross Johnson is the man to do that

I agree with the sentiment that some of the personal abuse was way OTT, but can't really understand why Jack Ross can be held to blame for any mess or that we need two-three transfer windows to sort it out.

We've signed a huge number of players since he left and we're on our second manager. He departed with us in poor league form, but in a cup final. I doubt very much he was the man dishing out the long contracts etc.

Whilst it's clear that there's a bigger picture on-going at Hibs, fans want improvement in the here and now. Time will tell, but I think we missed the chance to address some real deficits in the squad this window. However, we have clearly improved our attacking options, so it won't be boring.

leith lynx
03-09-2022, 11:31 AM
I’m not going to pretend not to have reservations about the guy but Hibs and his own Dad have thrown him to the wolves.

They could do an awful lot to take the pressure of him with a few communication features where they stick him in front of a camera, get him to discuss his role and helping emphasise the point that he’s not choosing who comes in to play for Hibs. And to show that he’s a decent guy, and competent.

The longer they opt not to do this, the more room they leave for fans to assume that either he is actually choosing who comes to play for Hibs or is possibly a complete imbecile who they cannot trust to be presented to the fans in any way.

100% agree, great post.

Rumble de Thump
03-09-2022, 11:34 AM
Various people at Hibs,including Ron Gordon, have repeatedly explained that Ian Gordon isn't the one choosing who is signed. His role has been clearly explained, so Hibs certainly haven't thrown him to the wolves. Some fans just choose to ignore what has already been said. It's very weird behaviour.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 11:41 AM
Various people at Hibs,including Ron Gordon, have repeatedly explained that Ian Gordon isn't the one choosing who is signed. His role has been clearly explained, so Hibs certainly haven't thrown him to the wolves. Some fans just choose to ignore what has already been said. It's very weird behaviour.

His role has never been explained. Someone has to be the one leading recruitment and if it’s not the head of recruitment, then who is it? We keep getting told his role is nothing but an admin type role, so who’s the actual head of recruitment without the title? All we really ever get told about his role is what he’s not doing, rather than what he is doing.

Hibs really need to come and clarify exactly what it is that he does as ‘Head of Recruitment’. As someone else said, get him doing an interview, explaining his role, what he aims to achieve etc.

HendoDelivered
03-09-2022, 11:48 AM

This

degenerated
03-09-2022, 12:19 PM

The longer they opt not to do this, the more room they leave for fans to assume that either he is actually choosing who comes to play for Hibs or is possibly a complete imbecile who they cannot trust to be presented to the fans in any way.Would the hibs.net lynch mob believe him even if he did, they've chosen to completely ignore every other person at the club who has explained it and continued to just make stuff up.

It's a sad indictment of our support that this is even needing discussed.

jacomo
03-09-2022, 12:20 PM

:agree:

Ian clearly has an important role at the club but no public profile. He should communicate with the fans and tell us what he’s all about, otherwise speculation and gossip fills the gap.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 12:35 PM
Would the hibs.net lynch mob believe him even if he did, they've chosen to completely ignore every other person at the club who has explained it and continued to just make stuff up.

It's a sad indictment of our support that this is even needing discussed.

They’ve not explained what his role is. Hence why nobody has a clue what it is he does.

The only thing we ever hear from anyone at the club about him is Ron playing down the importance of his role and telling us he doesn’t sign the players.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-09-2022, 12:37 PM
An official Hibs interview with him so we can put a face to the name and get him to tell us what he actually does would go a long way to satisfy the majority.

Northernhibee
03-09-2022, 12:43 PM
We have to prioritise quality over quantity. The aforementioned players would be great if they was largely the activity of the window but we also have Boujang, Tavares, Miller and development talent we’ve spent money on and it almost feels like we’ve thrown a lot at the wall and hope that some it sticks.

We still feel short at CB, CM and LW, and if either of our two strikers aren’t up to it when we may feel light up there too. That’s not good when we’ve signed so many players. I don’t think JR can claim to have been well supported either and the less said about the winter window, the better.

Signing a striker from Swindon doesn’t paper over the cracks, recruitment is an area of massive concern.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 12:45 PM
:agree:

Ian clearly has an important role at the club but no public profile. He should communicate with the fans and tell us what he’s all about, otherwise speculation and gossip fills the gap.

I doubt he's bothered about that in the slightest.

Just like Rod Petrie, who was despised by a section of the fans regardless of what he did, but didn't react or respond, he's just getting on with his business.

Lago
03-09-2022, 12:49 PM
His role has never been explained. Someone has to be the one leading recruitment and if it’s not the head of recruitment, then who is it? We keep getting told his role is nothing but an admin type role, so who’s the actual head of recruitment without the title? All we really ever get told about his role is what he’s not doing, rather than what he is doing.

Hibs really need to come and clarify exactly what it is that he does as ‘Head of Recruitment’. As someone else said, get him doing an interview, explaining his role, what he aims to achieve etc.
Today's Scottish Daily Mail, Jamie McAllister when taking about LJ being hospitalised, he was still fully involved in final day transfers, having the final say on each of the three. That's good enough for me.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Today's Scottish Daily Mail, Jamie McAllister when taking about LJ being hospitalised, he was still fully involved in final day transfers, having the final say on each of the three. That's good enough for me.

I’m not sure that does anything at all to explain what Ian Gordon does though? That just tells us what Lee Johnson does.

Bridge hibs
03-09-2022, 01:03 PM
They’ve not explained what his role is. Hence why nobody has a clue what it is he does.

The only thing we ever hear from anyone at the club about him is Ron playing down the importance of his role and telling us he doesn’t sign the players.Ron explains it here

“I get why people ask the question, whether Ian is the right man for the head of recruitment role. I get it; he’s my son.

"But I think he’s working extremely hard and he has very good insights and he has put together a very solid team to help him

"He is just one player in the recruiting department – he doesn’t make the decisions. And no position is untouchable; if someone isn’t doing a good job or isn’t contributing to the success of the club, then it’s not going to work.

"He co-ordinates the vetting of the options the club has. That’s really what the recruitment department is doing."

He explained a bit more about the work that goes into recruitment, adding: "The recruitment department is essentially vetting potential signing targets: are they available, can we afford them, how much do they cost, what are their personal terms. That’s the work the recruitment department is carrying out; they’re not making decisions on who is signed.

"The manager has the final say. We’re not going to stick the manager with a player he doesn’t want, but we’re going to bring him the best options.

“And I see the targets the recruitment team brings to the table. There are lots of them and they are all good. It’s just a question of hopefully picking the right one.”

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2022, 01:07 PM
Ron explains it here

“I get why people ask the question, whether Ian is the right man for the head of recruitment role. I get it; he’s my son.

"But I think he’s working extremely hard and he has very good insights and he has put together a very solid team to help him

"He is just one player in the recruiting department – he doesn’t make the decisions. And no position is untouchable; if someone isn’t doing a good job or isn’t contributing to the success of the club, then it’s not going to work.

"He co-ordinates the vetting of the options the club has. That’s really what the recruitment department is doing."

He explained a bit more about the work that goes into recruitment, adding: "The recruitment department is essentially vetting potential signing targets: are they available, can we afford them, how much do they cost, what are their personal terms. That’s the work the recruitment department is carrying out; they’re not making decisions on who is signed.

"The manager has the final say. We’re not going to stick the manager with a player he doesn’t want, but we’re going to bring him the best options.

“And I see the targets the recruitment team brings to the table. There are lots of them and they are all good. It’s just a question of hopefully picking the right one.”

Yeah, but.... what does he really do?

Lago
03-09-2022, 01:12 PM
I’m not sure that does anything at all to explain what Ian Gordon does though? That just tells us what Lee Johnson does.
Been explained many times, recruitment and sign off, frankly even if someone frome Hibs explained it in words of 2 syllables it still won't be acceptable to you and some others.

Lago
03-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Yeah, but.... what does he really do?
Has anyone ever asked you what you "really" do 🤔

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 01:16 PM

Whoosh!

Lago
03-09-2022, 01:17 PM
Your fixation on Ian Gordon as an individual and his role in the recruitment team is a bit of a worry, maybe you need a hobby of some sort.

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2022, 01:35 PM

Many times... mainly when I'm asking for more money 😄

Ps my post was an attempt at irony .

The Modfather
03-09-2022, 01:46 PM
I doubt he's bothered about that in the slightest.

Just like Rod Petrie, who was despised by a section of the fans regardless of what he did, but didn't react or respond, he's just getting on with his business.

I’m not sure I’d be pointing to Petrie as a way to do things. We’re 3 years into his presidency at the SFA and he’s somehow managed to become even more invisible than he was at Hibs. At least at Hibs he told us a fable about a 5 year plan. This time he’s not even bothering to say there’s a plan.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 01:58 PM
I’m not sure I’d be pointing to Petrie as a way to do things. We’re 3 years into his presidency at the SFA and he’s somehow managed to become even more invisible than he was at Hibs. At least at Hibs he told us a fable about a 5 year plan. This time he’s not even bothering to say there’s a plan.

What he's doing or not at the SFA is sfa to do with my point, but well done taking the opportunity to have a boot at him! :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
03-09-2022, 01:59 PM
We have to prioritise quality over quantity. The aforementioned players would be great if they was largely the activity of the window but we also have Boujang, Tavares, Miller and development talent we’ve spent money on and it almost feels like we’ve thrown a lot at the wall and hope that some it sticks.

We still feel short at CB, CM and LW, and if either of our two strikers aren’t up to it when we may feel light up there too. That’s not good when we’ve signed so many players. I don’t think JR can claim to have been well supported either and the less said about the winter window, the better.

Signing a striker from Swindon doesn’t paper over the cracks, recruitment is an area of massive concern.

the results will be there on the park and speak for themselves in time both in the first team, youth and development. He appears to be working on a number of fronts - likely in line with what he’s been tasked with. So I’d skip the spiel a talk is cheap and would just get over scrutinised and used as a stick to beat him with. Let him prove his worth and others act as his advocates. That IMO is more useful and better used of time and energy.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 02:03 PM
Your fixation on Ian Gordon as an individual and his role in the recruitment team is a bit of a worry, maybe you need a hobby of some sort.

Your fixation on my posts is a bit of a worry. After I didn’t reply to the first one you’ve replied to me again. Maybe you need a hobby of some sort.

Lago
03-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Your fixation on my posts is a bit of a worry. After I didn’t reply to the first one you’ve replied to me again. Maybe you need a hobby of some sort.
Touché 👍

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 02:05 PM
Ron explains it here

It really doesn’t tell us all that much about what he does though, does it?

Co-ordinates the recruitment team. If that’s all he does then it’s hardly head of department stuff, is it?

The Modfather
03-09-2022, 02:18 PM
What he's doing or not at the SFA is sfa to do with my point, but well done taking the opportunity to have a boot at him! :greengrin

My Petrie spidey senses never miss a beat 😀 I just took minor exception to the point about Petrie not rising to unfair and unconstructive criticism as he doesn’t respond to fair and constructive criticism, or open and forthcoming with how he is running things, either.

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2022, 02:19 PM

Co-ordinates the recruitment team. If that’s all he does then it’s hardly head of department stuff, is it?

Would you prefer if he was called "Recruitment Co-ordinator "?

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 02:51 PM
Would you prefer if he was called "Recruitment Co-ordinator "?

If the extent of the head of departments duties are essentially being a team leader then I’d suggest we desperately need an actual head of recruitment similar to a DOF above him.

h1bs4life
03-09-2022, 04:09 PM
I agree with the sentiment that some of the personal abuse was way OTT, but can't really understand why Jack Ross can be held to blame for any mess or that we need two-three transfer windows to sort it out.

We've signed a huge number of players since he left and we're on our second manager. He departed with us in poor league form, but in a cup final. I doubt very much he was the man dishing out the long contracts etc.

Whilst it's clear that there's a bigger picture on-going at Hibs, fans want improvement in the here and now. Time will tell, but I think we missed the chance to address some real deficits in the squad this window. However, we have clearly improved our attacking options, so it won't be boring.

Mentioned Ross because there were a few extended contracts dished out on his watch and assume it wouldn’t be Ian Gordon head hunting them , Doidge , Newell , Doyle-Hayes , Campbell , Stevenson and Hanlon . All bar one still here , all handed contracts in November / December when there was no rush to do so .

keep the faith
03-09-2022, 04:14 PM
We have delivered on signings big time.
Yes there are some project signings,but we should look at them separately. Bringing Boyle back blew our plans and am sure our budget but we dug deep and did it. For that alone I am grateful to the club - never mind on top of the other first team additions.
Once this team beds in we will be fine and certain posters need to back off, get the big boys pants on, leave the keyboards for a bit, stop starting Gordon/Newall threads and support this team.

No wonder Ron gets perplexed at the criticism!

h1bs4life
03-09-2022, 04:18 PM
If the extent of the head of departments duties are essentially being a team leader then I’d suggest we desperately need an actual head of recruitment similar to a DOF above him.

Did you not ask Ian Gordon what his role was when you were in Portugal pre season not hearing Lee Johnson saying he rated Kenneth or was he not there ?

James70
03-09-2022, 04:38 PM
Is Ian Gordon the new Brian Kerr?

Mibbes Aye
03-09-2022, 04:45 PM
Ron explains it here

For me, that's a more than adequate account of what he does. Basically it describes his role as a sort of deal-prepper and deal-maker for the club. Identifying what the likely costs are for the players LJ is interested in - the chances of them wanting to come to Hibs, the likely outlay if we have to pay a transfer fee, the likely range the personal terms will need to fall within etc etc. LJ then has a clearer understanding of whether the player is ruled out, or there is a likelihood, strong, medium or mild.

As we know fine well, the detail of personal terms and potential fees has a bunch of different factors that influence them and it is extremely rare that anybody, certainly hardly anybody posting on here, knows the full detail. But if IG isn't doing his job, then it would soon become clear when we miss out on signings or agents aren't giving us the time of day.

I have a bit of an issue with people saying he should be on here or on YouTube providing chapter and verse about what he does. Typical of the sense of entitlement that pervades the world nowadays.. He does his job. If he doesn't do it well then I'm sure he could be found another position somewhere else rather than being kept around to the detriment of the business and of the club.

I'm also a bit amused by people saying if he doesn't come out giving us chapter and verse then specualtion and gossip are going to be rife. Sometimes this place really does feel like The Steamie :greengrin

CapitalGreen
03-09-2022, 07:59 PM
Did you not ask Ian Gordon what his role was when you were in Portugal pre season not hearing Lee Johnson saying he rated Kenneth or was he not there ?

😂😂

zlatan
03-09-2022, 08:04 PM
Whose boy?

Ronnnn's boy

Lago
03-09-2022, 08:25 PM
For me, that's a more than adequate account of what he does. Basically it describes his role as a sort of deal-prepper and deal-maker for the club. Identifying what the likely costs are for the players LJ is interested in - the chances of them wanting to come to Hibs, the likely outlay if we have to pay a transfer fee, the likely range the personal terms will need to fall within etc etc. LJ then has a clearer understanding of whether the player is ruled out, or there is a likelihood, strong, medium or mild.

As we know fine well, the detail of personal terms and potential fees has a bunch of different factors that influence them and it is extremely rare that anybody, certainly hardly anybody posting on here, knows the full detail. But if IG isn't doing his job, then it would soon become clear when we miss out on signings or agents aren't giving us the time of day.

I have a bit of an issue with people saying he should be on here or on YouTube providing chapter and verse about what he does. Typical of the sense of entitlement that pervades the world nowadays.. He does his job. If he doesn't do it well then I'm sure he could be found another position somewhere else rather than being kept around to the detriment of the business and of the club.

I'm also a bit amused by people saying if he doesn't come out giving us chapter and verse then specualtion and gossip are going to be rife. Sometimes this place really does feel like The Steamie :greengrin
Terrific assessment, nailed it, however I don't think it will convince certain supporters.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 10:16 PM
Terrific assessment, nailed it, however I don't think it will convince certain supporters.

It’s not really nailed it though, has it? That’s what the department does. Ron says that himself, he makes it clear he’s talking about the department and not Ian specifically. We’re asking specifically what Ian does, not the department he’s head of.

For all the posts that claim that Hibs have made it very clear what Ian does, nobody has even come close to actually telling us what Ian does himself.

03-09-2022, 10:26 PM
It’s not really nailed it though, has it? That’s what the department does. Ron says that himself, he makes it clear he’s talking about the department and not Ian specifically. We’re asking specifically what Ian does, not the department he’s head of.

For all the posts that claim that Hibs have made it very clear what Ian does, nobody has even come close to actually telling us what Ian does himself.

He put the recruitment team together and heads up the department. Are you deliberately being obtuse or do you really not understand what a head of department does, in any line of business?

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 10:29 PM
He put the recruitment team together and heads up the department. Are you deliberately being obtuse or do you really not understand what a head of department does, in any line of business?

So he gathered a few scouts together and he is their team leader.

If that’s the case then we need at least a couple of people who are properly qualified for their roles in posts above the team leader. Preferably one with experience of being a DOF.

Graeme Mathie was a DOF. Most big teams have a DOF. We seemed to have decided to stop a few rungs short of that at the team leader for the scouts and left him top of the chain.

If he’s the head of department like there would be in any other line of business, then he shouldn’t be as he’s absolutely no experience in this line of work. What makes him qualified to put together a recruitment team?

Ron Gordon seems to be at pains to tell us he’s not that an actual traditional Head of Department though, Infact he’s went as far as comparing it to an admin role, so I’m not sure why you’re comparing it to normal HODs in other lines of business. In any other place I’ve worked, a head of department has never been an admin role.

Zambernardi1875
03-09-2022, 10:36 PM

Ian Gordon put the recruitment team together is that true?

03-09-2022, 10:40 PM
So he gathered a few scouts together and he is their team leader.

If that’s the case then we need at least a couple of people who are properly qualified for their roles in posts above the team leader. Preferably one with experience of being a DOF.

Graeme Mathie was a DOF. Most big teams have a DOF. We seemed to have decided to stop a few rungs short of that at the team leader for the scouts and left him top of the chain.

If he’s the head of department like there would be in any other line of business, then he shouldn’t be as he’s absolutely no experience in this line of work. What makes him qualified to put together a recruitment team?

Ron Gordon seems to be at pains to tell us he’s not that an actual traditional Head of Department though, Infact he’s went as far as comparing it to an admin role, so I’m not sure why you’re comparing it to normal HODs in other lines of business. In any other place I’ve worked, a head of department has never been an admin role.

Who is Celtic's (currently the best team in Scotland) DOF?

03-09-2022, 10:40 PM
Ian Gordon put the recruitment team together is that true?

According to a quote above.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 10:43 PM
Who is Celtic's (currently the best team in Scotland) Sporting Director?

I’ve absolutely no idea, I’m a Hibs fan, not a Celtic fan.

Comparing our recruitment to Celtic’s though if that’s where you’re going with this is frankly ridiculous. Theirs has been exceptional while ours simply hasn’t been.

03-09-2022, 10:45 PM

You know that most big teams have a DOF so you must look further afield than Hibs, or is it just Hearts you're thinking of?

Zambernardi1875
03-09-2022, 10:48 PM
According to a quote above.

What quote ?

03-09-2022, 10:50 PM

Comparing our recruitment to Celtic’s though if that’s where you’re going with this is frankly ridiculous. Theirs has been exceptional while ours simply hasn’t been.

You're the one saying most big teams have a DOF. So as you brought up big teams, I referred to a big team in our league that didn't have one, did you not know they didn't?

03-09-2022, 10:51 PM
What quote ?

By Bridge Hibs.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 10:52 PM
You know that most big teams have a DOF so you must look further afield than Hibs, or is it just Hearts you're thinking of?

Hang on, so because I don’t know the name of Celtics sporting director (quite where Celtic came into this I’ve no idea) that means most big teams don’t have a DOF now? :faf:

I don’t know the name of near enough every player in the SPFL or EPL. I can say with a degree of certainty that most teams have players though. Even though I don’t known their names.

And I said most, not all. Picking one team that potentially doesn’t have one does absolutely nothing to disprove that.

matty_f
03-09-2022, 10:53 PM

That's exactly what a head of would be doing.

In an old job my boss was the Head of Guidance, he was never writing the guidance scripts, giving guidance to customers, arranging the schedule for staffing resource or managing the teams that he was Head of,

He coordinated it all, made sure the right people were in the right places and let them get on with the job. He set strategy and ensured the day to day activities supported that strategy.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 10:57 PM
That's exactly what a head of would be doing.

In an old job my boss was the Head of Guidance, he was never writing the guidance scripts, giving guidance to customers, arranging the schedule for staffing resource or managing the teams that he was Head of,

He coordinated it all, made sure the right people were in the right places and let them get on with the job. He set strategy and ensured the day to day activities supported that strategy.

In numerous posts I’ve been in that’s what the team leader would be doing. Not the head of department.

03-09-2022, 10:59 PM
Hang on, so because I don’t know the name of Celtics sporting director (quite where Celtic came into this I’ve no idea) that means most big teams don’t have a DOF now? :faf:

I don’t know the name of near enough every player in the SPFL or EPL. I can say with a degree of certainty that most teams have players though. Even though I don’t known their names.

And I said most, not all. Picking one team that potentially doesn’t have one does absolutely nothing to disprove that.

Celtic came into it because you brought up big teams so I used Celtic as a relevant big team in Scottish football that have recruited very successfully without a DOF. Please enlighten us with which big teams you had in mind when you made your statement.

matty_f
03-09-2022, 11:00 PM
In numerous posts I’ve been in that’s what the team leader would be doing. Not the head of department.

Team leader looks after a team, not a department. They'd be more responsible for the team members achieving their objectives and managing the day to day activity.

Zambernardi1875
03-09-2022, 11:01 PM
By Bridge Hibs.

So Ian Gordon is telling scouts what countries and leagues to go and get players from there?

03-09-2022, 11:04 PM
So Ian Gordon is telling scouts what countries and leagues to go and get players from there?

What do you think?

brianmc
03-09-2022, 11:08 PM

Why are you so obsessed with job titles as opposed to the duties the individuals actually carry out??

Post after post after post.....ffs

I can't quite make up my mind if you're an attention seeking troll or genuinely part of the tinfoil hat wearing community.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 11:10 PM
Celtic came into it because you brought up big teams so I used Celtic as a relevant big team in Scottish football that have recruited very successfully without a DOF. Please enlighten us with which big teams you had in mind when you made your statement.

Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves, Brighton who make up near enough all of the top half of the EPL last season. There’s probably more but I can’t be arsed looking any further but I’d hazard a guess a look at the bottom half of that league would have similar results.

Brighton and Brentford who are obscenely good at recruiting players for clubs of their size. Both have Directors of Football.

Rangers got to the Europa League final last season despite not having any real right to get there against some of the other teams that were in the competition. They have a Director of Football.

Still though, you found out that Celtic don’t have one and got your snide dig in about Hearts though, so good for you. Thank god I never said every good team had one or you’d be even more desperately clinging onto it.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 11:12 PM
Why are you so obsessed with job titles as opposed to the duties the individuals actually carry out??

Post after post after post.....ffs

I can't quite make up my mind if you're an attention seeking troll or genuinely part of the tinfoil hat wearing community.

That’s weird. It’s almost like you’ve completely overlooked the fact I’ve asked numerous times exactly what duties it is that Ian Gordon carries out.

Even weirder seeing as apparently I’m making “post after post”. Makes it even more impressive that you’ve managed to miss that. It’s almost like you’ve been so desperate to convince yourself of a certain storyline that you’ve ignored what’s actually being said. Now what was that about a tin foil hat community again…

03-09-2022, 11:20 PM
Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves, Brighton who make up near enough all of the top half of the EPL last season. There’s probably more but I can’t be arsed looking any further but I’d hazard a guess a look at the bottom half of that league would have similar results.

Brighton and Brentford who are obscenely good at recruiting players for clubs of their size. Both have Directors of Football.

Rangers got to the Europa League final last season despite not having any real right to get there against some of the other teams that were in the competition. They have a Director of Football.

Still though, you found out that Celtic don’t have one and got your snide dig in about Hearts though, so good for you.

English clubs that are not really relevant to Hibs/Scottish football and Rangers where a large proportion of fans are not happy with their Summer transfer window. And as far as digs go, you continually have digs about Hibs so if it's not Hearts you are bothered about why do you repeatedly spread negativity on here like a poison? Plenty of people can be critical of the club, which I'm all for, and put their point across without banging on and on about it ad nauseum.

Stubbsy90+2
03-09-2022, 11:23 PM
English clubs that are not really relevant to Hibs/Scottish football and Rangers where a large proportion of fans are not happy with their Summer transfer window. And as far as digs go, you continually have digs about Hibs so if it's not Hearts you are bothered about why do you repeatedly spread negativity on here like a poison? Plenty of people can be critical of the club, which I'm all for, and put their point across without banging on and on about it ad nauseum.
:faf:

Aye, of course. Why on earth would we use some of the best football teams and the way they do things as an example on best practice. Mental idea that.

You asked for big teams, you got a shed load of big teams, now those big teams don’t count because it’s not what you wanted to hear.

I see Celtic are well worthy of comparison to Hibs though, because that suits your argument despite the fact they’re also not really all that relevant to Hibs and operate on a completely different planet.

Also, I rarely discuss Hearts on this forum, funnily enough, because it’s a Hibs forum. You seem much more bothered about them than I am seeing as you’re trying to bring them up but that’s your problem, not mine.

Zambernardi1875
03-09-2022, 11:26 PM
What do you think?

I’m asking the expert

NC1875
03-09-2022, 11:26 PM

Or a ride 🤔

RMQ1967
04-09-2022, 01:31 PM

As many are pointing out it's grim reading - you clearly have some odd fixation with what IG does although it's been pretty clearly stated. Also bizarre that you also seem to be questioning the whole structure of the club. If you don't like it, go and buy your own club, employ who you want and structure it the way you want

The club has never been better run (although there's a way to go on the pitch obviously) and yet you have this obsession with the role of one individual.

Who's next in line for Stubbys inquisition - Henry, the mild mannered janitor :hmmm:

Unseen work
04-09-2022, 01:44 PM
Just posted on another thread but in two windows he’s managed to assemble the following squad

Team 1
…………..…………Marshall………………..

Cadden………Rocky…..Porteous……Cabraja…….

…………………Kenneh…..Newell….

Boyle………………Magennis……....McGeady…….

…………………………Nisbet……..

Team 2

…………..…………Schofield………………..

Miller………Fish……...Hanlon ……Stevenson…….

…………………JDH…..Campbell….

Melkersen………Henderson……....McKirdy…….

…………………………Youan……..

That’s not including

Dabrowski
Bojang
McLellend
McGregor
Mitchell
Tavares
Kukharevych

Loads of options. That’s two completely different 11’s of a good standard plus 7 extras whilst not including youngsters.

Hibbyradge
04-09-2022, 02:27 PM
Just posted on another thread but in two windows he’s managed to assemble the following squad

Team 1

…………………Kenneh…..Newell….

…………………………Nisbet……..

Team 2

…………………JDH…..Campbell….

…………………………Youan……..

That’s not including

Dabrowski
Bojang
McLellend
McGregor
Mitchell
Tavares
Kukharevych

Loads of options. That’s two completely different 11’s of a good standard plus 7 extras whilst not including youngsters.

But, but, but what does he do?

The Modfather
04-09-2022, 02:30 PM

Team 1

…………………Kenneh…..Newell….

…………………………Nisbet……..

Team 2

…………………JDH…..Campbell….

…………………………Youan……..

That’s not including

Dabrowski
Bojang
McLellend
McGregor
Mitchell
Tavares
Kukharevych

It’s interesting to see when put like that. However, and without going through player by player, it’s a picture that looks better on paper than reality IMO. A lot of them should be good but add up to make us much less than the sum of our parts.

04-09-2022, 02:36 PM
It’s interesting to see when put like that. However, and without going through player by player, it’s a picture that looks better on paper than reality IMO. A lot of them should be good but add up to make us much less than the sum of our parts.

Yes but that's the coach's job not IG's and LJ needs time to get the most out of them, as would even the very best coaches (not saying that you're suggesting otherwise).

sleeping giant
04-09-2022, 02:45 PM

Team 1

…………………Kenneh…..Newell….

…………………………Nisbet……..

Team 2

…………………JDH…..Campbell….

…………………………Youan……..

That’s not including

Dabrowski
Bojang
McLellend
McGregor
Mitchell
Tavares
Kukharevych

Facts.

The Modfather
04-09-2022, 02:54 PM
Yes but that's the coach's job not IG's and LJ needs time to get the most out of them, as would even the very best coaches (not saying that you're suggesting otherwise).

Fair comment, but its a squad expensively assembled that might come good in the years ahead, but with a large percentage contributing little, either since they arrived or in the here and now.

It just seems to me we’ve assembled a collection of either good or promising individuals but as a collective squad it’s less than the sum of its parts. That’s been the case since under Ross, Maloney & now Johnson IMO

04-09-2022, 03:42 PM
Fair comment, but its a squad expensively assembled that might come good in the years ahead, but with a large percentage contributing little, either since they arrived or in the here and now.

It just seems to me we’ve assembled a collection of either good or promising individuals but as a collective squad it’s less than the sum of its parts. That’s been the case since under Ross, Maloney & now Johnson IMO

I'd agree we've spent a lot and don't seem to have got value for money lately. How far that stretches back is up for debate, JR having achieved some success initially. Early days with the current squad so it remains to be seen as to whether or not we get more contributing than not from them. Hopefully LJ is allowed enough time to mould them into a cohesive unut.

The promising individuals is an interesting one. I like that we are investing in the future but also get the reservations of some that more of the budget should have gone to the 1st team. It's a balancing act that's not easy to get 100% right. What I would commend RG for is the flexibility and willingness go over budget, in the right circumstances. I think LJ said that we had effectively bust the budget to bring Boyle back however we still brought in more players thereafter. I think RG does see the need to have a successful team on the pitch right here and now.

Lago
04-09-2022, 05:00 PM
But, but, but what does he do?
Sorry but that's the wrong question, it should be, 'what does he "really" do? 🙄

McD
04-09-2022, 05:08 PM
That’s weird. It’s almost like you’ve completely overlooked the fact I’ve asked numerous times exactly what duties it is that Ian Gordon carries out.

Even weirder seeing as apparently I’m making “post after post”. Makes it even more impressive that you’ve managed to miss that. It’s almost like you’ve been so desperate to convince yourself of a certain storyline that you’ve ignored what’s actually being said. Now what was that about a tin foil hat community again…

why do you feel you must know what his duties are?

you’re going to say you’re a fan, a supporter, etc etc, which is fine, but doesn’t answer the question. You’re not his employer, he doesn’t owe you anything, why do you need to know what his exact duties are?

Btw, if you’re going to bring up how much money you pay into the club, I’m sure there’s people who pay in more, sponsors certainly do, should they be entitled to a specific lists of his duties? What about your job, should your companies customers be entitled to demand your duties be broken down, and critique you repeatedly? How might you feel if they were given a description of your job, and they respond with ‘yeah but what does they really do?’

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 05:38 PM

you’re going to say you’re a fan, a supporter, etc etc, which is fine, but doesn’t answer the question. You’re not his employer, he doesn’t owe you anything, why do you need to know what his exact duties are?

Btw, if you’re going to bring up how much money you pay into the club, I’m sure there’s people who pay in more, sponsors certainly do, should they be entitled to a specific lists of his duties? What about your job, should your companies customers be entitled to demand your duties be broken down, and critique you repeatedly? How might you feel if they were given a description of your job, and they respond with ‘yeah but what does they really do?’

I’m not sure why you bother asking questions because you seem to have made up your mind what all the answers are going to be anyway?

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 05:41 PM
As many are pointing out it's grim reading - you clearly have some odd fixation with what IG does although it's been pretty clearly stated. Also bizarre that you also seem to be questioning the whole structure of the club. If you don't like it, go and buy your own club, employ who you want and structure it the way you want

The club has never been better run (although there's a way to go on the pitch obviously) and yet you have this obsession with the role of one individual.

Who's next in line for Stubbys inquisition - Henry, the mild mannered janitor :hmmm:

An odd fixation/obsession because I’m discussing Ian Gordon on a thread about Ian Gordon?

I can only guess how we should be describing the fact you follow my posts around the forum having a go at them on every thread in that case. Obsession wouldn’t even touch the sides.

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 05:43 PM

Team 1

…………………Kenneh…..Newell….

…………………………Nisbet……..

Team 2

…………………JDH…..Campbell….

…………………………Youan……..

That’s not including

Dabrowski
Bojang
McLellend
McGregor
Mitchell
Tavares
Kukharevych

It he has assembled that squad then that directly contradicts what everyone else is saying he does.

So for all we’ve got people saying it’s clear what he does, it quite clearly isn’t. We’ve even got some of the same posters claiming he doesn’t sign players on one page (and Ron Gordon claimed that) then claiming on the next page he’s done a great job of signing all these players.

Clear as mud really.

sleeping giant
04-09-2022, 05:50 PM
It he has assembled that squad then that directly contradicts what everyone else is saying he does.

We’ve literally got people saying that he doesn’t sign players etc and that he simply co-ordinates the department yet now the same people are latching onto this as if Ian Gordon signed them all (not you btw).

So, which is it? All these folk who say it’s clear what he does yet they can’t actually decide one day to the next what it is he does.

What is it that you actually want to know.?
Hopefully you get the info you require before you bore the Internet to death.

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 05:50 PM
What is it that you actually want to know.?
Hopefully you get the info you require before you bore the Internet to death.

I’m not sure I could really be any more clear about what I and others want to know. Infact it’s been outlined numerous times in this thread.

McD
04-09-2022, 05:52 PM
I’m not sure why you bother asking questions because you seem to have made up your mind what all the answers are going to be anyway?

not made my mind up, just preempted the answers that are typically flung out (not necessarily by you) when people ask questions of those asking questions of the club/staff at the club

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Following on from your post above:

I’d like to know how he got the job. Was there a recruitment process? Did he beat off other applicants/potential candidates? What made him think he was suited to heading up a recruitment department at a Scottish football team given his previous work experience?

I’d like to know what a day in the working life of Ian Gordon consists of.

I’d like to know what his responsibilities are

I’d like to know what part he plays in player identification

I’d like to know what part he plays in signing players, if any

I’d like to know what the process was for him putting together the recruitment team seeing as he’s never worked in this field of work before

I’d like to know what he aims to achieve in this role

Nobody is claiming they “must” know what his duties are. Nobody is claiming he must answer the questions above. A lot of people would be interested in it though. I’d suggest even the people who are on here saying questions shouldn’t be asked of him would find it interesting.

And comparing a job in football to an every day job is really just a bit daft. Despite that though, my duties will be in the public domain seeing as my post was publicly advertised. This one wasn’t.

McD
04-09-2022, 06:07 PM

I’d like to know how he got the job. Was there a recruitment process? Did he beat off other applicants/potential candidates?

I’d like to know what the process was for him putting together the recruitment team seeing as he’s never worked in this field of work before

Nobody is claiming they “must” know what his duties are. A lot of people would be interested in it though.

And comparing a job in football to an every day job is really just a bit daft. Despite that though, my duties will be in the public domain seeing as my post was publicly advertised. This one wasn’t.

thanks for replying, you’ve not actually answered what I asked though (you’ve given answers to what a few others have asked). I asked why you feel you must know. I didn’t say you’d claimed you must know, but you go on about it often enough, wanting to know his exact duties. What business is it of yours?

isn’t football an everyday job to those who are employed in a football club or company that works closely with clubs? Or does someone who cleans the floors at ER or works on the commercial side of things not have an everyday job?

I doubt all of your duties were listed in the job advert, especially not your exact duties as you’ve asked for repeatedly. Not all jobs are publicly listed, many people are head hunted into roles (this may or may not be the case here) that aren’t publicly advertised, or are done so in a very minimal manner.

demanding to know someone’s exact duties in a job, working for a company that you have no right to know about is really just a bit daft

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 06:11 PM
thanks for replying, you’ve not actually answered what I asked though (you’ve given answers to what a few others have asked). I asked why you feel you must know. I didn’t say you’d claimed you must know, but you go on about it often enough, wanting to know his exact duties. What business is it of yours?

isn’t football an everyday job to those who are employed in a football club or company that works closely with clubs? Or does someone who cleans the floors at ER or works on the commercial side of things not have an everyday job?

I doubt all of your duties were listed in the job advert, especially not your exact duties as you’ve asked for repeatedly. Not all jobs are publicly listed, many people are head hunted into roles (this may or may not be the case here) that aren’t publicly advertised, or are done so in a very minimal manner.

demanding to know someone’s exact duties in a job, working for a company that you have no right to know about is really just a bit daft

I’ve never said I must know, so I’m not sure what you really want me to say to your question? As I said, nobody has claimed they must know. I don’t think there’ll be anybody on here who feels they absolutely must know.

If you’re going to compare a job like Ian Gordon’s at a football club to an every day job or a non footballing job like cleaning the floors at Easter Road then there’s not really any point in continuing the conversation any further with you. Jobs in the footballing department at football clubs simply aren’t every day jobs and football clubs aren’t comparable to normal companies.

basehibby
04-09-2022, 06:15 PM
The debate drags on and on. I appreciate the concerns expressed re IG's lack of experience in football recruitment but, as with football on the park it's results that matter.

I'd say as far as that's concerned we have a mixed bag. There have been some failings along with some outstanding succeses.

Under the unqualified success bracket are:
Resigning Boyle
Moving swiftly to sign Cabraja upon Doig's departure
Clinching the deal to sign McKirdy despite dificulties

On the negative side we have:
Signing an unfit Scott on loan last season who never gained full fitness until the season was over - absolute waste of a wage
Arguably failing to strengthen sufficiently in key areas over the summer (central mid & defence)
Arguably expending disproportionate funds on the development squad to the detriment of 1st team recruitment
Arguably indulging in speculative signings from exotic markets with limited chance of success - eg. Mueler

There have also been some events that have been leapt upon with indecent haste as evidence of misfeance which I think are more like evidence of a determination to find fault where there is none. I'd include among these the End of loan/send back/resigning of Rocky. It seems clear to me that Rocky triggered a signing option through his appearances that was put on hold until the new manager was in place to make a call on signing him. This is entirely reasonable but was jumped upon by some as evidence of a "shambles".

Some have raised the accusation of nepotism re IG's position. While it's fair comment that we want and need well qualified people in place making crucial decisions about transfers, the accusations of nepotism ignore the possible underlying reasoning behind making this appointment. Ron is not resident in Scotland and no doubt wants someone on the ground and in the thick of it who he can trust. If you also consider that, in the event of anything happening to Ron (he's in his 70s - in apparent good health but no spring chicken) his successor as owner and chairman of Hibernian FC would almost certainly be.... Ian Gordon - IG's appointment as head of recruitment starts to make more and more sense. Assuming - as we keep being told - that IG has experts under him identifying suitable targets, and a comittee that includes the manager actually making the decisions about who does and doesn't get signed - this does not avtually seem like a bad situation at all.

Certainly there appears to have been the odd error made - whether any or all of these errors have been down to IG is another question. But considered against the successes it seems to me that accusations of "omnishambles" have been wide of the mark. There may be a learning curve going on but that should be allowed. Fair enough to scrutinise & criticise Hibs' transfer activity but let's be even handed about it and less of the hysteria - we have the likes of the Sun & the DR with our beloved Tam McManus for that!

CapitalGreen
04-09-2022, 06:17 PM
Or a ride 🤔

Best post on this thread.

McD
04-09-2022, 06:21 PM
I’ve never said I must know, so I’m not sure what you really want me to say to your question? As I said, nobody has claimed they must know. I don’t think there’ll be anybody on here who feels they absolutely must know.

If you’re going to compare a job like Ian Gordon’s at a football club to an every day job or a non footballing job like cleaning the floors at Easter Road then there’s not really any point in continuing the conversation any further with you. Jobs in the footballing department at football clubs simply aren’t every day jobs and football clubs aren’t comparable to normal companies.

I’d like to you to tell us why you think you should be told his duties

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 06:28 PM
I’d like to you to tell us why you think you should be told his duties

And folk say I’m going on and on.

McD
04-09-2022, 06:32 PM

And folk say I’m going on and on.

yep, you do. And you’ve managed to avoid answering the question over several posts - you want, demand to know his duties, but won’t answer a simple question yourself :faf: hmmmm

Hibbyradge
04-09-2022, 06:39 PM
I truly hope Ian Gordon does nothing at all and he's just a way for Ron to avoid some tax.

It won't make any difference to me.

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 06:40 PM
yep, you do. And you’ve managed to avoid answering the question over several posts - you want, demand to know his duties, but won’t answer a simple question yourself :faf: hmmmm

I’ve gave you a very simple answer to your simple question numerous times. You seem to be having trouble comprehending it so it’s not really worth carrying on the discussion with you.

04-09-2022, 06:44 PM
They've not explained what his role is. Hence why nobody has a clue what it is he does.

The only thing we ever hear from anyone at the club about him is Ron playing down the importance of his role and telling us he doesn’t sign the players.

Just because you don't have a clue what he does, it doesn't mean nobody has a clue.

Still though, you found out that Celtic don’t have one and got your snide dig in about Hearts though, so good for you. Thank god I never said every good team had one or you’d be even more desperately clinging onto it.

Aye, of course. Why on earth would we use some of the best football teams and the way they do things as an example on best practice. Mental idea that.

You asked for big teams, you got a shed load of big teams, now those big teams don’t count because it’s not what you wanted to hear.

I see Celtic are well worthy of comparison to Hibs though, because that suits your argument despite the fact they’re also not really all that relevant to Hibs and operate on a completely different planet.

Also, I rarely discuss Hearts on this forum, funnily enough, because it’s a Hibs forum. You seem much more bothered about them than I am seeing as you’re trying to bring them up but that’s your problem, not mine.

So Celtic can't be used as a comparison because that's frankly ridiculous and they operate on a different planet to us but near enough the top half of the EPL (who also operate on a different planet) last season can be used as a comparison, because that suits your argument. And as far as snide digs go, I notice you're not averse to snide use of the rofl emoji, good for you.

Incidentally, Ian Gordon has said we do follow the Brentford model, to an extent, but with our own approach on it.

I'm not against having a DoF but there's no guarantee it would be an improvement. The following (if I've done it right) are the signing when Mathie was in the role. Not sure it could be said there were/are more successes than not.

Paul McGinn
Marc McNulty (2nd spell)
Stephane Omeonga (2nd spell)
Greg Docherty
Ádám Bogdán (2nd spell)
Kevin Nisbet
Stephen McGinn
Alex Gogic
Drey Wright
Matt Macey
Chris Cadden
Kyle Magennis
Jamie Murphy
Dillon Barnes
Jackson Irvine
Scott Allan (3rd spell)
Dan MacKay
Jake Doyle-Hayes
Dylan Tait
David Mitchell
James Scott
Nathan Wood
Chris Mueller (pre-contract signed under Mathie)

Bridge hibs
04-09-2022, 06:48 PM
Ron said

Ians manages a group of people who are out there scouting and looking at
potential recruits. He does the background work, he doesn't make the decisions
on who comes in.
"That is done by the manager... there is a group of us who are involved in
the decisions. It's not Ian.
"Ian is the one that goes out and makes sure they are available, that they fit
the profile we are looking for, that the manager is looking for, that it's a
development investment, that we can afford them. That's the work the recruitment
department does.

And if Stubbsy90+2 wants to know anymore of my business then ****ing phone me !

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2022, 06:54 PM
Can anyone tell me what someone with the title "Director of Football" would bring to the club, that we don't already have?

04-09-2022, 06:57 PM

So for all we’ve got people saying it’s clear what he does, it quite clearly isn’t. We’ve even got some of the same posters claiming he doesn’t sign players on one page (and Ron Gordon claimed that) then claiming on the next page he’s done a great job of signing all these players.

Clear as mud really.

You're just being obtuse again and arguing over semantics. Replace "assembled" with "played his part in recruiting" does that help you?

Please point out which posters have said on one page he doesn't sign players and then on the next page have said he's done a great job signing players. I bet if they have, it's sarcasm that's gone over your head.

basehibby
04-09-2022, 07:31 PM
Can anyone tell me what someone with the title "Director of Football" would bring to the club, that we don't already have?

I think a DoF is intended to provide a consistency of approach and continuity to certain aspects of running a FC so that the Manager can focus more directly on day to day football matters like coaching and selecting the matchday squad. Not sure if DoF remit would include what IG is currently doing - probably in large part yes, but would also include some matters more directly connected with the football team - eg. we recently got launched from the League Cup for playing an inelligible player - maybe a DoF would have picked up on that? Not sure. As it happens we were headed for an inglorious exit anyway but supposing we were not - that would have been an unmittigated disaster - we can put that administrational blunder down to a learning curve for the club under new ownership I suppose but it must not happen again - DoF or no.

04-09-2022, 07:32 PM

I’d like to know how he got the job. Was there a recruitment process? Did he beat off other applicants/potential candidates? What made him think he was suited to heading up a recruitment department at a Scottish football team given his previous work experience?

Nobody is claiming they “must” know what his duties are. Nobody is claiming he must answer the questions above. A lot of people would be interested in it though. I’d suggest even the people who are on here saying questions shouldn’t be asked of him would find it interesting.

You may not have used the word must but your like to knows listed above (and similar previously) indicate you have a strong desire that's tantamount to must knowing (those semantics again). It is obvious you're not getting the response you want on here, have you tried contacting anyone at the club about it?

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2022, 07:37 PM
I think a DoF is intended to provide a consistency of approach and continuity to certain aspects of running a FC so that the Manager can focus more directly on day to day football matters like coaching and selecting the matchday squad. Not sure if DoF remit would include what IG is currently doing - probably in large part yes, but would also include some matters more directly connected with the football team - eg. we recently got launched from the League Cup for playing an inelligible player - maybe a DoF would have picked up on that? Not sure. As it happens we were headed for an inglorious exit anyway but supposing we were not - that would have been an unmittigated disaster - we can put that administrational blunder down to a learning curve for the club under new ownership I suppose but it must not happen again - DoF or no.

Cheers.

Much of the chat here, I think, seems to be focused on titles of roles, rather than the actual duties. I can't help thinking that much of what you describe is already at the club, albeit spread across the responsibilities of various people.

Whether those duties are being carried out properly, of course, is open to debate. :cb

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 07:38 PM
Just because you don't have a clue what he does, it doesn't mean nobody has a clue.

So Celtic can't be used as a comparison because that's frankly ridiculous and they operate on a different planet to us but near enough the top half of the EPL (who also operate on a different planet) last season can be used as a comparison, because that suits your argument. And as far as snide digs go, I notice you're not averse to snide use of the rofl emoji, good for you.

Incidentally, Ian Gordon has said we do follow the Brentford model, to an extent, but with our own approach on it.

I'm not against having a DoF but there's no guarantee it would be an improvement. The following (if I've done it right) are the signing when Mathie was in the role. Not sure it could be said there were/are more successes than not.

Paul McGinn
Marc McNulty (2nd spell)
Greg Docherty
Ádám Bogdán (2nd spell)
Kevin Nisbet
Stephen McGinn
Alex Gogic
Drey Wright
Matt Macey
Chris Cadden
Kyle Magennis
Jamie Murphy
Dillon Barnes
Jackson Irvine
Scott Allan (3rd spell)
Dan MacKay
Jake Doyle-Hayes
Dylan Tait
David Mitchell
James Scott
Nathan Wood

I never said Celtic can’t be used. I was laughing at the fact you used Celtic whilst conveniently ruling out all listed teams with DOFs because they’re not comparable to us.

You’re the one saying teams can’t be used, not me.

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 07:38 PM
You may not have used the word must but your like to knows listed above (and similar previously) indicate you have a strong desire that's tantamount to must knowing (those semantics again). It is obvious you're not getting the response you want on here, have you tried contacting anyone at the club about it?

No, wanting to know something is not tantamount to “must know” and it never will be as much as that would suit your argument.

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 07:41 PM
You're just being obtuse again and arguing over semantics. Replace "assembled" with "played his part in recruiting" does that help you?

Please point out which posters have said on one page he doesn't sign players and then on the next page have said he's done a great job signing players. I bet if they have, it's sarcasm that's gone over your head.

It’s not being obtuse and it’s not semantics. People are literally all over this thread telling us he does different things to what other people are saying and others are saying he doesn’t do things that others are saying he does do.

Someone is saying he assembled a squad, others are posting quotes saying he’s got absolutely nothing to do with making decisions as to what players come in.

That’s not semantics, it’s completely different accounts of what his role is.

As I said, his role is clear as mud.

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2022, 07:59 PM
It’s not being obtuse and it’s not semantics. People are literally all over this thread telling us he does different things to what other people are saying and others are saying he doesn’t do things that others are saying he does do.

Someone is saying he assembled a squad, others are posting quotes saying he’s got absolutely nothing to do with making decisions as to what players come in.

Why don't you ask RG directly?

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 08:04 PM
Why don't you ask RG directly?

He’s been asked directly by others in video calls. The answer given is always pretty vague and clearly hasn’t cleared it up as lots of people seem to have a different idea of what he does and doesn’t do.

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2022, 08:05 PM
He’s been asked directly by others in video calls. The answer given is always pretty vague and clearly hasn’t cleared it up as lots of people seem to have a different idea of what he does and doesn’t do.

The word I used was "you". 😉

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 08:11 PM
The word I used was "you". 😉

True :greengrin

Because I fully expect the answer would be the same as previous ones. :aok:

RMQ1967
04-09-2022, 08:19 PM

Exactly. Add a completely unnecessary salary would be my guess.

04-09-2022, 08:21 PM
I never said Celtic can’t be used. I was laughing at the fact you used Celtic whilst conveniently ruling out all listed teams with DOFs because they’re not comparable to us.

You’re the one saying teams can’t be used, not me.

You didn't say Celtic couldn't be used but you did say it was frankly ridiculous to compare our recruitment to Celtic's. (Those damn semantics again). In that case, I didn't rule out any of the teams you listed (oh look, I can play the semantics game too).

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 08:25 PM
You didn't say Celtic couldn't be used but you did say it was frankly ridiculous to compare our recruitment to Celtic's. (Those damn semantics again). In that case, I didn't rule out any of the teams you listed (oh look, I can play the semantics game too).

The comparison was based on the quality of the recruitment before you pointed out whether they have a DOF or not. Hence why I said if that’s where you’re going with this. That was really quite clear to anyone other than yourself it would appear.

04-09-2022, 08:26 PM
No, wanting to know something is not tantamount to “must know” and it never will be as much as that would suit your argument.

If you'd posted about it a handful of times then I'd agree with you. Your post count, and no doubt time spent on it, indicates, as I said, a strong desire. That is what makes it tantamount to must knowing.

If "must" isn't the correct word for you then what is? Keeping in mind how much you posted on the subject.

RMQ1967
04-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Ron said

Ians manages a group of people who are out there scouting and looking at potential recruits. He does the background work, he doesn't make the decisions on who comes in.
"That is done by the manager... there is a group of us who are involved in the decisions. It's not Ian.

"Ian is the one that goes out and makes sure they are available, that they fit the profile we are looking for, that the manager is looking for, that it's a development investment, that we can afford them. That's the work the recruitment department does.

And if Stubbsy90+2 wants to know anymore of my business then ****ing phone me !

It's crystal clear unless you want to keep ignoring what's written in front of you :dunno:

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 08:29 PM
If you'd posted about it a handful of times then I'd agree with you. Your post count, and no doubt time spent on it, indicates, as I said, a strong desire. That is what makes it tantamount to must knowing.

If "must" isn't the correct word for you then what is? Keeping in mind how much you posted on the subject.

Wow :faf:

04-09-2022, 08:29 PM

Clear as mud really.

In one post you say some of the same posters are claiming he doesn't sign players and then saying that he has.

Now you've changed it to be other posters telling us different things to what other people are saying.

So which is it?

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 08:37 PM
In one post you say some of the same posters are claiming he doesn't sign players and then saying that he has.

Now you've changed it to be other posters telling us different things to what other people are saying.

So which is it?

Both of those.

There’s a poster on the first page who says he does recruitment and signs off. They’ve then replied to another poster later on who suggests he does something that doesn’t amount to that and replied with “nailed it”. (Apologies to Lago, I’m not calling you out as such).

There’s posters saying he’s assembled squads. There’s others providing quotes suggesting he’s nothing to do with signing players. There’s others giving descriptions akin to a team leader.

It’s clear from this thread that nobody actually has a clue what his role is.

basehibby
04-09-2022, 08:44 PM

I thought his role was reasonably clear - moreso than eg a DoF which tends to have a broader remit that varies from club to club and usually takes in recruitment to varying degrees. Eg - DoF at some clubs have a big say in what targets are pursued and this has been known to create conflict with the 1st Team Manager. I would be surprised if IG's role extended beyond compiling and relaying the reports from the scouting team.

IG's role - according to Ron anyway - only relates to recruitment activity. He acts as a conduit between a group of analysts and scouts and the comittee that actually makes the decisions as to who is approached and/or signed. So requirements are identified to IG who then relays that requirement to the analysts and scouts who come back with details of players that are out there that meet the criteria. Presumably the role also includes some degree of administration and communication with clubs/agents/players. The commitee then makes decisions as to what targets are pursued.

From what I can gather the comittee includes Ron, the manager and the CEO - presumably the Academy Director too when appropriate.

What's not so clear is IG's involvement beyond that. I would imagine that having established contact he may have an involvement in initiating subsequent negotiations but I would have thought the financial decisions etc would be made between Kensall, Ron & the manager.

brog
04-09-2022, 08:46 PM
I made the mistake of looking at this thread. Wow! Crying out for an admin close.

04-09-2022, 08:51 PM
The comparison was based on the quality of the recruitment before you pointed out whether they have a DOF or not. Hence why I said if that’s where you’re going with this. That was really quite clear to anyone other than yourself it would appear.

Did you genuinely not know they didn't have a DoF? Fair enough.

As I said earlier, recruitment when Graeme Mathie had the role was arguably not that great so bringing in a DoF doesn't necessarily mean an improvenent.

04-09-2022, 08:54 PM
Wow :faf:

I don't think "wow" accurately describes it. :faf:

McD
04-09-2022, 09:01 PM
I don't think "wow" accurately describes it. :faf:

aye I agree

Lago
04-09-2022, 09:07 PM
I made the mistake of looking at this thread. Wow! Crying out for an admin close.
It sure is, frankly I don't think Ron or Ian Gordon give a flying F... what certain dot netter think.

Stubbsy90+2
04-09-2022, 09:12 PM
Did you genuinely not know they didn't have a DoF? Fair enough.

As I said earlier, recruitment when Graeme Mathie had the role was arguably not that great so bringing in a DoF doesn't necessarily mean an improvenent.

Nope, I had no idea whether they had one or not.

When I look at the list of Mathie signings, it’s got a significantly better success rate than the list of signings since he left and IG came into his role imo. I’d have put it at about 1/3rd or maybe just short of it as successful to varying degrees. I don’t think we’re looking at that sort of success rate since.

Anyway, this debate between us has really got a bit silly now so I’ll not continue it further.

RyeSloan
04-09-2022, 09:33 PM
Cheers.

Much of the chat here, I think, seems to be focused on titles of roles, rather than the actual duties. I can't help thinking that much of what you describe is already at the club, albeit spread across the responsibilities of various people.

Whether those duties are being carried out properly, of course, is open to debate. :cb

If only our owner had taken the time to detail out the duties that IG carries out….

As for a DoF these duties will of course vary across different clubs despite the title being the same.

I’d go as far as saying we probably do have a DoF…he just happens to be our exec chairman as well. It’s Ron that has decided on the structure of the club and the duties that our CEO, Head of Recruitment, the guy who messed up the suspension thing (I forget his title..Head of Football Operations or something) and the Head of academy carry out…all of them report into him.

And I believe Ron has spent a lot of time and effort considering this structure and implementing it.

I really don’t see where a DoF is required at Hibs or what they would do that’s not being done already.

Having too many cooks and overlapping responsibilities can be as dangerous as not having the right people in the right places.

ClermistonGreen
04-09-2022, 09:42 PM
Couldn’t agree more !
Pathetic
At the end of the day WTF has it got to do with any of us
We just go to watch Our team regardless of who is in it .
He owns the club and like it or not he can do what he wants when he wants

Lago
04-09-2022, 09:52 PM
Couldn’t agree more !
Pathetic
Agree and that's my last word on this thread.

CL0762
04-09-2022, 10:11 PM

Paul McGinn
Marc McNulty (2nd spell)
Greg Docherty
Ádám Bogdán (2nd spell)
Kevin Nisbet
Stephen McGinn
Alex Gogic
Drey Wright
Matt Macey
Chris Cadden
Kyle Magennis
Jamie Murphy
Dillon Barnes
Jackson Irvine
Scott Allan (3rd spell)
Dan MacKay
Jake Doyle-Hayes
Dylan Tait
David Mitchell
James Scott
Nathan Wood

Why have you omitted Mathie’s signings pre George Craig leaving?

At least present the whole picture.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/graeme-mathie-departs-hibernian

“ I’m proud to have served Hibernian, initially as Head of Recruitment and latterly as Sporting Director, during some unprecedented times on and off the pitch”

I think you could argue with Mathie involved in player recruitment, it was a resounding success.

Also, Mathie’s initial role was ‘Head of Recruitment’. The exact same title IG has..

04-09-2022, 10:23 PM
Both of those.

There’s a poster on the first page who says he does recruitment and signs off. They’ve then replied to another poster later on who suggests he does something that doesn’t amount to that and replied with “nailed it”. (Apologies to Lago, I’m not calling you out as such).

There’s posters saying he’s assembled squads. There’s others providing quotes suggesting he’s nothing to do with signing players. There’s others giving descriptions akin to a team leader.

It’s clear from this thread that nobody actually has a clue what his role is.

Anyway, I’m not continuing this debate with you any further as it’s getting a bit pathetic really.

You've changed it again. Initially it was posters (plural) saying he doesn't sign players and then saying he's done a great job signing all these players on the next.

Now you're no longer saying it's posters but just one poster that you say contradicted themself and you've changed it from being the poster that mentioned doing a great job signing all the players (as you'd previously said).

You think it's clear from this thread that nobody has a clue what he does. Just because you don't have a clue, it doesn't mean that nobody does.

That's one thing we can agree on, how pathetic/silly this is. I'll readily admit I've played my part in that the last couple of days. I'd argue you've played a much bigger part, stretching back months.

04-09-2022, 10:25 PM
Couldn’t agree more !
Pathetic

I agree and I'll accept I played a part in the direction the thread took.

04-09-2022, 10:51 PM
Why have you omitted Mathie’s signings pre George Craig leaving?

At least present the whole picture.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/graeme-mathie-departs-hibernian

“ I’m proud to have served Hibernian, initially as Head of Recruitment and latterly as Sporting Director, during some unprecedented times on and off the pitch”

I think you could argue with Mathie involved in player recruitment, it was a resounding success.

Also, Mathie’s initial role was ‘Head of Recruitment’. The exact same title IG has..

I didn't put the player recruitment for when Mathie was Head of Recruitment because Stubbsy90+2 had made reference to Mathie having been DoF. I wasn't making a point about Mathie's overall time at Hibs, I was just saying that having a DoF (which I'm not against) might not improve the recruitment so used the DoF mentioned by Stubbsy90+2 as an example.

paddy1875
04-09-2022, 11:17 PM
Ian Gordon is just a middle man.

The scouts identify players that they think would fit our mould or what the manager is looking for make up a list and highlight reel then it’s brought to the board/manager to see if he fancies any of the identified players.

If the manager fancies the look of some of these players I’d imagine Ian Gordon then makes contact with the said player and club to see if a deal can be made to get the manager the player he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04-09-2022, 11:21 PM
Nope, I had no idea whether they had one or not.

When I look at the list of Mathie signings, it’s got a significantly better success rate than the list of signings since he left and IG came into his role imo. I’d have put it at about 1/3rd or maybe just short of it as successful to varying degrees. I don’t think we’re looking at that sort of success rate since.

Anyway, this debate between us has really got a bit silly now so I’ll not continue it further.

You are misrepresenting IG's role, he didn't take over Mathie's position when he left. All this time and you've been thinking IG's the Sporting Director (DoF). :faf:

There have been 2 windows since Mathie left, below are the signings in the first. I'm not going to list all those we've just signed but it's nice to know at this early stage you've already got less than 1 out of 3 down as successes (to varying degrees). Great way to get behind the team and is sadly typical of far too many, writing players off when they're barely in the door.

Elias Hoff Melkersen
Chris Mueller (pre-contract under Mathie, joined after Mathie)
Demetri Mitchell
Harry Clarke
Ewan Henderson
Sylvester Jasper

Stubbsy90+2
05-09-2022, 06:46 AM
You are misrepresenting IG's role, he didn't take over Mathie's position when he left. All this time and you've been thinking IG's the Sporting Director (DoF). :faf:

There have been 2 windows since Mathie left, below are the signings in the first. I'm not going to list all those we've just signed but it's nice to know at this early stage you've already got less than 1 out of 3 down as successes (to varying degrees). Great way to get behind the team and is sadly typical of far too many, writing players off when they're barely in the door.

Elias Hoff Melkersen
Chris Mueller (pre-contract under Mathie, joined after Mathie)
Demetri Mitchell
Harry Clarke
Ewan Henderson
Sylvester Jasper

“Since IG came into his role” as in since IG came into his role he’s currently in (head of recruitment). Not since IG came into Mathies role (which no longer exists).

Anyway, that really is the last I’m discussing it with you.

05-09-2022, 07:42 AM
“Since IG came into his role” as in since IG came into his role he’s currently in (head of recruitment). Not since IG came into Mathies role (which no longer exists).

Anyway, that really is the last I’m discussing it with you.

Okay, fair enough. Your statement could have meant either so I'll apologise for my comment in response to that part, though in my defense some of your posts on the topic seem like you think he's more akin to a DoF.

Stubbsy90+2
05-09-2022, 07:50 AM
Okay, fair enough. Your statement could have meant either so I'll apologise for my comment in response to that part, though in my defense some of your posts on the topic seem like you think he's more akin to a DoF.

Keith_M
05-09-2022, 07:55 AM
Can't you two just kiss and make up?

:hug:

:greengrin

Billy Whizz
05-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Kilmarnock are recruiting for a Head of Recruitment
The job spec is on the attached link

https://futboljobs.com/en/job/1982293/

Hibbyradge
05-09-2022, 09:02 AM
Kilmarnock are recruiting for a Head of Recruitment
The job spec is on the attached link

https://futboljobs.com/en/job/1982293/

"We expect the successful candidate to spend most of their time outside the Scotland' 🙄

Billy Whizz
05-09-2022, 09:06 AM
"We expect the successful candidate to spend most of their time outside the Scotland' 🙄

You applying then😀

Hibbyradge
05-09-2022, 09:08 AM
You applying then😀

The Scotland?

The application is in, btw.

Billy Whizz
05-09-2022, 09:14 AM
The Scotland?

The application is in, btw.

Grammar not the best😀

hibsbollah
05-09-2022, 09:15 AM

Billy Whizz
05-09-2022, 09:21 AM

Where is this?

Hibbyradge
05-09-2022, 09:21 AM

😃👍👏

hibsbollah
05-09-2022, 09:24 AM
Where is this?

Apparently where Killie's Head of Recruitment is going to be spending most of his time:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
05-09-2022, 09:37 AM

Job 1.

To recruit a proof-reader. Current employees of Hibernian need not apply. :greengrin

05-09-2022, 10:05 AM

👍

05-09-2022, 10:07 AM
Can't you two just kiss and make up?

:hug:

:greengrin

I think we just did, but with thumbs up. 😀

Stubbsy90+2
05-09-2022, 10:21 AM
I think we just did, but with thumbs up. 😀

Yup, no hard feelings mate.