PDA

View Full Version : 50th anniversary of 7-0 1.1.73

Greenbeard
01-09-2022, 07:12 AM
Four months to go until 1.1.23, 50 years on from the ultimate New Year Derby. What are folk planning to mark the occasion? I'll be proposing a toast at each of:
3.09 (O'Rourke)
3.16 (Gordon)
3.26 (Duncan)
3.35 (Cropley)
3.37 (Duncan)
Like Hibs that day, I'd better ease off a bit and I'm estimating the last few toast times based on the 2nd half kicking off at 4pm, unless anyone can correct that.
4.11 (O'Rourke)
4.30 (Gordon)
4.45(?) Full time whistle.

Looking forward to looking back. The You Tube video will get a few airings too.

Trinity Hibee
01-09-2022, 07:14 AM
Four months to go until 1.1.23, 50 years on from the ultimate New Year Derby. What are folk planning to mark the occasion? I'll be proposing a toast at each of:
3.09 (O'Rourke)
3.16 (Gordon)
3.26 (Duncan)
3.35 (Cropley)
3.37 (Duncan)
Like Hibs that day, I'd better ease off a bit and I'm estimating the last few toast times based on the 2nd half kicking off at 4pm, unless anyone can correct that.
4.11 (O'Rourke)
4.30 (Gordon)

Always wondered what it must have been like to be a fan in the 70s. Superb derby record and challenging in the league. Hopefully one day we’ll have a return to the derby dominance.

happiehibbie
01-09-2022, 07:18 AM
Always wondered what it must have been like to be a fan in the 70s. Superb derby record and challenging in the league. Hopefully one day we’ll have a return to the derby dominance.

It was the best

Trinity Hibee
01-09-2022, 07:19 AM
It was the best

I also forgot dishing out hammerings in Europe!

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2022, 07:22 AM
Hibs were playing that well at the time you just knew someone was going to ‘catch it’

The funny thing is that Hearts could have easily been 2-0 up if they had taken their chances

When reminded of this by a regular in his pub Jimmy O’Rourke replied “Well it would have been 7-2 then.”

A magnificent display of attacking football by the green machine that just kept going forward

Golden Bear
01-09-2022, 07:30 AM
A wonderful, wonderful day even although I only saw four of the goals mainly due to the hertz fans already exiting the ground when the 3rd goal went in.

:thumbsup:

Roxyhibee
01-09-2022, 07:31 AM
For years, I used to have the 7 Scotsman photos of the goals right along my office wall in time order, instead of organisational charts etc. And I was in senior management.! Some Jambos could barely come in to see me.

Roxyhibee
01-09-2022, 07:39 AM
Hibs were playing that well at the time you just knew someone was going to ‘catch it’

The funny thing is that Hearts could have easily been 2-0 up if they had taken their chances

When reminded of this by a regular in his pub Jimmy O’Rourke replied “Well it would have been 7-2 then.”

A magnificent display of attacking football by the green machine that just kept going forward

Yes, they like to say they could have been 2-0 up - and Donald Parks’ was a sitter to be fair, but that first ‘chance’ to Tommy Murray was outside the box. Edwards and ORourke had much better chances right in front of goal in that half. So it could have been 1-9.

JimBHibees
01-09-2022, 07:45 AM
I also forgot dishing out hammerings in Europe!

Yep hammering Sporting Lisbon 6 1 was incredible. Can remember mentioning it to a Portuguese Sporting supporting barman a few years back in the Algarve. Didn't go down well :greengrin

adam middlemass
01-09-2022, 07:45 AM
Still have the commemorative T Shirt with a picture of one of the goals on the front and on the back the team and goal scorers. Took it for granted these derby games in the seventies, happy days! :thumbsup:

gbhibby
01-09-2022, 07:46 AM
Eddie Turnbull thought he was in Heaven when Alan Gordon made it number seven.

Remember the exodus at half time but they wouldn't open the gates to let them out.

ACLeith
01-09-2022, 07:48 AM
3.09 (O'Rourke)
3.16 (Gordon)
3.26 (Duncan)
3.35 (Cropley)
3.37 (Duncan)
4.11 (O'Rourke)
4.30 (Gordon)

My memory us hazy - terrible hangover , I almost didn't go! - but I think it may have kicked off at 2? But to be safe maybe a toast for both times, 14 drams should do it!

gbhibby
01-09-2022, 07:51 AM
Yes, they like to say they could have been 2-0 up - and Donald Parks’ was a sitter to be fair, but that first ‘chance’ to Tommy Murray was outside the box. Edwards and ORourke had much better chances right in front of goal in that half. So it could have been 1-9.
Add to that Garland made 3 or 4 great saves.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2022, 07:52 AM

I remember they were trying to set Wee Mickey up for a goal in the first half right enough :greengrin

Sauerkraut
01-09-2022, 08:03 AM
Fairly sure it was an earlier kick-off. Perhaps either 1 or 2pm. Any programme holders out there? Walked back to Leith with a pal and was overtaken on Princes Street by a flat-bed coal lorry carrying dozens of singing Hibbys. :flag:

Pagan Hibernia
01-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Add to that Garland made 3 or 4 great saves.

He saved one from Stanton and to this day I have no idea how he got to it.

it’s not often a keeper has a good game and still ends up on the end of a 0-7 defeat

Golden Bear
01-09-2022, 08:10 AM
Eddie Turnbull thought he was in Heaven when Alan Gordon made it number seven.

Remember the exodus at half time but they wouldn't open the gates to let them out.

And prior to that I think there was a verse:- "The Hibees choir sang for more so Alex Cropley made it four. Bye Bye Jam Tarts !"

big gogs
It was the best
1971 till 1973 they were magical times,going to the games never expecting to lose.fabulous players ..the new year derby ,Europe,the league cup in 1972.sadly we knew it would not last,o’rourke out Alan Gordon out ,joe harper in.1974 onward it was a rough time.but as hibs fans we had to accept it, the Scottish cup win will live on in the memory .

gbhibby
My memory us hazy - terrible hangover , I almost didn't go! - but I think it may have kicked off at 2? But to be safe maybe a toast for both times, 14 drams should do it!
The time the game finished was 7 past Garland.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2022, 08:14 AM
Alan Gordon picked Jimmy O’Rourke up before the game and he asked Jimmy what he thought the score was going to be ?

Jimmy replied that he had just watched the movie The Mark Of Zorro on the telly that morning and he fancied us to score Seven :greengrin

https://youtu.be/lQnle_3KuOE

scm70nyd1973
01-09-2022, 08:15 AM
3.09 (O'Rourke)
3.16 (Gordon)
3.26 (Duncan)
3.35 (Cropley)
3.37 (Duncan)
4.11 (O'Rourke)
4.30 (Gordon)

Got my letter to Santa in early this year coz there will be a big demand for a time machine. Going back to 31/12/1972 for 3 days - New Year’s Eve for the bet,NYD for the game and the last day to read the papers and get over a hangover 👍

Golden Bear
01-09-2022, 08:19 AM
1971 till 1973 they were magical times,going to the games never expecting to lose.fabulous players ..the new year derby ,Europe,the league cup in 1972.sadly we knew it would not last,o’rourke out Alan Gordon out ,joe harper in.1974 onward it was a rough time.but as hibs fans we had to accept it, the Scottish cup win will live on in the memory .

Correct.

A crowd of us used to run a sweep on the timing of the first Hibs goal and if you happened to pick anything outside the first 20 minutes then you had virtually no chance of winning.

Trinity Hibee
01-09-2022, 08:20 AM
The time the game finished was 7 past Garland.

👏

leith lynx
01-09-2022, 08:29 AM
The Hearts keeper Kenny Garland was described in the press as the "Shut out King" before the game! Goalden times to be a Hi-bee! Happy days indeed.

greenpaper55
01-09-2022, 08:32 AM
The best one for me was the Gordon header as i was right behind that goal, he timed his leap to perfection. I wonder what the crowd was that day as judging by the number who claim to have been there it must be in the region of 100,000 !

Kato
01-09-2022, 08:37 AM
A jambo years ago claimed it was a "freak" result even though they were hardly scoring at home and Hibs were knocking in 5s, 6s and 7s regularly.

The Pink News interveiwed some Jambo director the week after and he said 4 or 5 of the goals were lucky and that it was a "good thing" because the last time Hearts had been tanked at home they went an unbeaten run. Didn't happen.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

greenpaper55
01-09-2022, 08:43 AM
The best one for me was the Gordon header as i was right behind that goal, he timed his leap to perfection. I wonder what the crowd was that day as judging by the number who claim to have been there it must be in the region of 100,000 !

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2022, 08:51 AM
3.09 (O'Rourke)
3.16 (Gordon)
3.26 (Duncan)
3.35 (Cropley)
3.37 (Duncan)
4.11 (O'Rourke)
4.30 (Gordon)

Half time was always 10 minutes in those days 😁

EastThomasSTboy
01-09-2022, 09:04 AM

Prior to January 1st....The Mighty Hearts had gone 8 games without scoring against us.
Prior to January 1st...We had taken 5 off Celtic, 6 off Airdrie, 7 off FC Besa and 8 off Ayr United...as well as winning the League Cup 22 days earlier.
After the game, this took the current tally of goals, of O'Rourke Gordon and Duncan to an amazing 80 !!(in all comps).

Commentators quotes from the game!!.."This could be a Cricket score" !! and the Classsic.." This is Fords 300th Appearance today..and he's never scored a goal against Hibs".

Last Amazing stat...which i read from the "Hearts Supporter fanzine in January 1985"...which reads.."Our Derby win against Hibs on 1st January (1985) not only got the New Year off on the proper footing,
but it laid the ghost which has HAUNTED us for so long, as it is 19 long YEARS since we last recorded a Festive victory over our City Rivals".......NINETEEN YEARS!!!!! and from a Hearts Fanzine!!!. Couldnae make it up!!.

As my Hearts pal recently said, its still a far worse result than the Brora one, ...at least Hearts were an equal match for Brora, but they never really stood a chance on that fateful day, against Eddie's TORNADOES.

GGTTH.

green.oracle
01-09-2022, 09:06 AM
And prior to that I think there was a verse:- "The Hibees choir sang for more so Alex Cropley made it four. Bye Bye Jam Tarts !"

The full song;

Jim O'Rourke broke no sweat, when he put the ball in the jamtarts net
bye bye jamtarts
Alan Gordon running through, when he made it number 2
bye bye jamtarts
Bobby Seith thought he was only dreaming, when Arthur Duncan hammered number 3 in
The Hibees choir sang for more so Alex Cropley made it 4
jamtarts bye bye.
Arthur Duncan took a dive, headed home number 5
bye bye jamtarts
Paddy Stanton showed his tricks when Jim O'Rourke made it 6
bye bye jamtarts
Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven, when Alan Gordon headed number 7
The Hibs support had their fill, the final score was 7 nil
jamtarts bye bye!!!!

:flag::flag::partyhibb:partyhibb

eastterrace
01-09-2022, 09:07 AM
Always wondered what it must have been like to be a fan in the 70s. Superb derby record and challenging in the league. Hopefully one day we’ll have a return to the derby dominance.yeh it was good times mid sixties till late seventies. Great derby record and usually up near top of the league. We always looked like we would score goals with real football players, no like what you see now.

Trinity Hibee
01-09-2022, 09:07 AM
Prior to January 1st....The Mighty Hearts had gone 8 games without scoring against us.
Prior to January 1st...We had taken 5 off Celtic, 6 off Airdrie, 7 off FC Besa and 8 off Ayr United...as well as winning the League Cup 22 days earlier.
After the game, this took the current tally of goals, of O'Rourke Gordon and Duncan to an amazing 80 !!(in all comps).

Some few months that

Pagan Hibernia
01-09-2022, 09:11 AM
A jambo years ago claimed it was a "freak" result even though they were hardly scoring at home and Hibs were knocking in 5s, 6s and 7s regularly.

The Pink News interveiwed some Jambo director the week after and he said 4 or 5 of the goals were lucky and that it was a "good thing" because the last time Hearts had been tanked at home they went an unbeaten run. Didn't happen.

hahaha

the goals were mostly sublime.

now, the 5-1… most of those goals were actually “lucky”

gbhibby
01-09-2022, 09:13 AM

Commentators quotes from the game!!.."This could be a Cricket score" !! and the Classsic.." This is Fords 300th Appearance today..and he's never scored a goal against Hibs".

Last Amazing stat...which i read from the "Hearts Supporter fanzine in January 1985"...which reads.."Our Derby win against Hibs on 1st January (1985) not only got the New Year off on the proper footing,
but it laid the ghost which has HAUNTED us for so long, as it is 19 long YEARS since we last recorded a Festive victory over our City Rivals".......NINETEEN YEARS!!!!! and from a Hearts Fanzine!!!. Couldnae make it up!!.

As my Hearts pal recently said, its still a far worse result than the Brora one, ...at least Hearts were an equal match for Brora, but they never really stood a chance on that fateful day, against Eddie's TORNADOES.

GGTTH.
And 6 off Sporting Lisbon one of the favourites for the CWc
Plus 5 off Dundee utd at their patch.

hibbyfraelibby
01-09-2022, 09:17 AM

Delusion runs in their DNA.

Golden Bear
01-09-2022, 09:18 AM
The full song;

bye bye jamtarts
bye bye jamtarts
Bobby Seith thought he was only dreaming, when Arthur Duncan hammered number 3 in
jamtarts bye bye.
bye bye jamtarts
bye bye jamtarts
jamtarts bye bye!!!!

Memories are made of this.

:flag:

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2022, 10:12 AM
Some wonder, why we get so peed off wi watching the teams of the past 3 years or so, and many other years and teams.
Mid-1960's to Mid-1970's Some amazing talent at Hibs then and some of the best games (outside the SC win) I have ever witnessed, all kinds of scores from 11 goals a few times to beating some of the best Europe had to offer at the time, all while the manky green other ones had perhaps the best team in Europe for a good few years after the manager left Hibs to go to them (We had pinched him from Dunfy right enough) often wondered what Hibs would have done with Stein as manager longer term. Great days to be a Hibs supporter.

Forza Fred
01-09-2022, 10:14 AM
I emigrated to Oz in August 74.

Must have subconsciously known the good times were over….

leith lynx
01-09-2022, 10:16 AM

GGTTH.

What a fantastic read that was! Thank you!

hibeerealist
01-09-2022, 11:33 AM
The full song;

bye bye jamtarts
bye bye jamtarts
jamtarts bye bye.
bye bye jamtarts
bye bye jamtarts
jamtarts bye bye!!!!

The last line from memory was;

The jam tart boys made for the gate, before the Hibees made it EIGHT!
Jam tarts bye bye!!!!!

Great memories

Alfiembra
01-09-2022, 12:01 PM
Funny how the mind works, the one thing that sticks in my head watching Hibs games at that time I always used to hear some worthy at ER shouting “Come on the machine” Watching Hibs then was like watching a beautiful majestic machine just demolish the opposition.

h1bs4life
01-09-2022, 12:25 PM
Was at primary school stayed in the high rise flats Lindsay Road , we were squashed in the Gorgie Road end above one of the exits .Half time seen boy from school who stayed underneath us in the flats a jambo totally devastated.
After the game gorgie road and then on the bus older Hibs singing “ Monday morning go for a walk I think we’ll take a walk in the park hey hey hey what a beautiful day “ based on a popular song at the time.
Took a few years to get a copy with Alistair Alexander commentating ,if you listen after they had missed there 2nd chance at 0-0 you can hear the Hertz fans singing “ easy , easy “

Greenbeard
01-09-2022, 01:12 PM
Fairly sure it was an earlier kick-off. Perhaps either 1 or 2pm. Any programme holders out there? Walked back to Leith with a pal and was overtaken on Princes Street by a flat-bed coal lorry carrying dozens of singing Hibbys. :flag:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YI8AAOSwgdViZr8m/s-l1600.jpg

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2022, 01:32 PM
Bumped into a couple of old school mates (hertz gimps) at half time as we were walking round to the other end (school end) met them about half way we were 5 up and one of them even refused to take a nip from my bottle, hertz gimp that he was, the other one was aright just sick as a dug, over the result, and expecting another doing the second half. We should have got to double figures for sure. Just a fantastic day, one that just 2 of us went, when it would usually be about 8 to 10 of us, but the hang overs got to the rest, what a game to miss.
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin

Sauerkraut
01-09-2022, 01:45 PM
Well done Greenbeard, 3pm right enough. It never got dark that particular day!

Greenbeard
01-09-2022, 02:23 PM
Well done Greenbeard, 3pm right enough. It never got dark that particular day!
In Jambo eyes the light had all but faded come 3.26. At 3.35 it was very black.

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2022, 02:27 PM
In Jambo eyes the light had all but faded come 3.26. At 3.35 it was very black.

It has remained very dark to this day.

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin

Hibs07p
01-09-2022, 02:29 PM
A hearts supporter that I knew told me that Jimmy and George Stewart? went into the Silver Wing, about 20 years ago and were having a bit banter with him and his mate, both Jambos. Jimmy said, "I know your dying to ask me, it was the first and sixth I scored".

Pretty sure another stat from that game was that they had only conceded 4 goals at home all season.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

WoreTheGreen
01-09-2022, 03:10 PM
I am one of lucky ones on here who can say “ I was there “

bigwheel
01-09-2022, 03:34 PM
I am one of lucky ones on here who can say “ I was there “

I wasn’t. Dad wouldn’t take me - he came home steamin….

The amount of Hibs fans that claim to have been there , there must have been about 80,000 !

gbhibby
01-09-2022, 03:40 PM
Never saw many Hearts fans on the corporation bus back to Clermiston after the game,they must have got on an earlier bus.😁

Roxyhibee
01-09-2022, 04:26 PM
We took my older Jambo cousin that day who was a good footballer playing for The Strollers at the time and I recall him saying as he left dejectedly that every Hibs team all the way down to the Colts were vastly superior to what Hearts were putting out.

The Harp
01-09-2022, 05:01 PM
I was in their old enclosure under the stand that wonderful day with around half a dozen Hibees and my brother-in-law, who's not a football fan - he hasn't been to a match since. What a last game to have attended.
I've still got the match programme and ticket stub. An unforgettable day.

Greenbeard
01-09-2022, 05:05 PM
I was in their old enclosure under the stand that wonderful day with around half a dozen Hibees and my brother-in-law, who's not a football fan - he hasn't been to a match since. What a last game to have attended.
I've still got the match programme and ticket stub. An unforgettable day.
That photo of the match programme which I posted earlier was from e-bay. £100!

ACLeith
01-09-2022, 05:25 PM
That photo of the match programme which I posted earlier was from e-bay. £100!

My copy came from a Hearts supporting uncle, sadly no longer with us. Not for sale at 10 times that price !

ancient hibee
01-09-2022, 05:52 PM
I wasn’t. Dad wouldn’t take me - he came home steamin….

The amount of Hibs fans that claim to have been there , there must have been about 80,000 !

I was in the old enclosure right behind Schades when he took the throw to Jimmy.Often scoured the old film to try and see myself!
None of the guys I usually went to ER went to the game although in later years claimed to have been there.

A good post for no.13000.

WoreTheGreen
01-09-2022, 05:56 PM
I was in the old enclosure right behind Schades when he took the throw to Jimmy.Often scoured the old film to try and see myself!
None of the guys I usually went to ER went to the game although in later years claimed to have been there.

A good post for no.13000.

Me my dad and brother were in the enclosure as well . I honestly thought we be like forever. Sadly not

Bostonhibby
01-09-2022, 06:00 PM

A good post for no.13000.[emoji106]

Almost afraid to say, I was there, in the same approximate place, 4 of us, one was a jambo.

I've got the programme, subsequently autographed by Alan Gordon.

Heady days, we just took it for granted that a high scoring rout of somebody was coming along.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
01-09-2022, 06:00 PM
I was in a supporters bus which came thru from Peebles. The bus was "full" when we came in but there were empty seats (for various reasons 😁) on the way home.

Mick O'Rourke
01-09-2022, 06:50 PM
Was at primary school stayed in the high rise flats Lindsay Road , we were squashed in the Gorgie Road end above one of the exits .Half time seen boy from school who stayed underneath us in the flats a jambo totally devastated.
After the game gorgie road and then on the bus older Hibs singing “ Monday morning go for a walk I think we’ll take a walk in the park hey hey hey what a beautiful day “ based on a popular song at the time.
Took a few years to get a copy with Alistair Alexander commentating ,if you listen after they had missed there 2nd chance at 0-0 you can hear the Hertz fans singing “ easy , easy “

That song you mention gets laldy now at a number of sports events/grounds
Beautiful Sunday (1972) by Daniel Boone

Back at the Zorro Game.

Then came the old safety in numbers angry �� chant when they realised the inevitable was happening.......
"There wont be many going home"
There wont be effing any, there wont be many going home"
Haha

I got a potted plant from a window dropped on me on the way home ,drunk and singing away.(me ,not the plant!)
Just landed/exploded at ma feet.
Dropped from a multi story flat .
Lucky me ! And the culprit i didnt find !

gbhibby
01-09-2022, 07:58 PM
That song you mention gets laldy now at a number of sports events/grounds
Beautiful Sunday (1972) by Daniel Boone

Back at the Zorro Game.

Then came the old safety in numbers angry �� chant when they realised the inevitable was happening.......
"There wont be many going home"
There wont be effing any, there wont be many going home"
Haha

I got a potted plant from a window dropped on me on the way home ,drunk and singing away.(me ,not the plant!)
Just landed/exploded at ma feet.
Dropped from a multi story flat .
Lucky me ! And the culprit i didnt find !
Sure I heard come and have a go with the Gorgie aggro from the few that were still in the ground.

Mick O'Rourke
01-09-2022, 08:17 PM
For years, I used to have the 7 Scotsman photos of the goals right along my office wall in time order, instead of organisational charts etc. And I was in senior management.! Some Jambos could barely come in to see me.

Surprised they didnt contact personel/HR and complain of mental stress and anxiety brought on by the trauma of witnessing your pictorial exhibition
Bet you got lots of Christmas cards from those colleagues or requests for their P45s !

For years there was no argument .They didnt have a team as good as TTs since the 50s
Such a great team, Such a short playing life the the original X1

I was in the western for a couple of days this week getting tests
2 other Hibbys,one who new me and Jimmy, and one Jambo in ward, all well older than me (I am 70)
Two Hibbys waxed lyrical as much about Tornadoes as they did the Famous Five
They loved the Zorro game. The FF never managed that.

The other Derby that stuck in their mind was the one Joe Baker scored 4.
Great memories/stories from them.
Made the hospital visit a bit easier.
The Jambo patient had to be patient with us 3
He took it on the chin and told the nurse,jokingly,that we were abusing him !!

Strangely enough he was in for Heart checks!

Itsnoteasy
02-09-2022, 07:42 AM
He saved one from Stanton and to this day I have no idea how he got to it.

it’s not often a keeper has a good game and still ends up on the end of a 0-7 defeat

Anti Niemi 6-2 what a game he had.

Pagan Hibernia
02-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Anti Niemi 6-2 what a game he had.

another one when it could and should have been double figures

RIP
02-09-2022, 10:11 AM
Gilzean the Edinburgh Evening News cartoonist had a depiction of Kenny Garland hiding under his bed with his maw trying to tempt him out with a biscuit. Based on the immortal advert, best said in the original Yorkshire accent;-

“Will you come out for a Cadbury’s Cookie?” 🤣

Carheenlea
02-09-2022, 10:17 AM
I’m 52, so the game, and The Tornadoes was just before my time.

The strange thing is though, the game feels as long back in the past now as it did back in the early 80’s when I was going to Easter Road and tormenting Hearts fans at school and such with “7-0” taunts. It was only 10 years after the event but I suppose the feelings of it being from way back in history then would just have been a consequence of having no memories of the game. It was still a few years before I ever saw film of the game, which added to the legend, and there was much excitement when a grainy VHS of the highlights started to be circulated amongst fans.

ACLeith
02-09-2022, 04:24 PM
(I am 70) !

Those who are 70 on 1.1.23 should get a special thread to themselves that day that nobody else can join in on. Sadly, I was 24 that day so can't be included

brog
02-09-2022, 04:40 PM

GGTTH.

Great stats but my favourite from that great day is that from New Years Day 1973 to the end of that season Hibs scored more goals at Tiny than Hearts!
PS, to add to goals scored above we were 2 0 and 2 1 down at Tannadice and Broomfield at half time in the LC and scored 5 without reply in both games in the 2nd half!

Mick O'Rourke
02-09-2022, 04:41 PM
Those who are 70 on 1.1.23 should get a special thread to themselves that day that nobody else can join in on. Sadly, I was 24 that day so can't be included

I became 21 that month
21 is 3 times 7
Born on the 27th and stayed at 17 Grassmarket :greengrin

So a glass of 7 up juice with a wee vodka mixed in to celebrate would be apt

Always a good choice of movie on NYD

The Magnificent 7 and The Mark of 7orro should be on
or for the musically minded
7 Brides for 7 Brothers:greengrin

gbhibby
02-09-2022, 05:48 PM
Great stats but my favourite from that great day is that from New Years Day 1973 to the end of that season Hibs scored more goals at Tiny than Hearts!
PS, to add to goals scored above we were 2 0 and 2 1 down at Tannadice and Broomfield at half time in the LC and scored 5 without reply in both games in the 2nd half!
After the league cup victory at Tannadice Jim McLean commented that that was the way football should be played and he wanted his team to take note

ACLeith
02-09-2022, 05:54 PM
I became 21 that month
21 is 3 times 7

👏. Mick, ever thought of going on Countdown ? you would skoosh the numbers rounds!

Mick O'Rourke
02-09-2022, 06:12 PM
After the league cup victory at Tannadice Jim McLean commented that that was the way football should be played and he wanted his team to take note

Did he? Am not really surprised though

Ally MacLeod,who played for us and went on to manage Scotland was also Ayr United manager.
The game after The Tornadoes won the League Cup ,we beat Ayr 8-1 at Easter Road.
Ally in an interview said in all his football days it was the best club display of football he witnessed.
Ayr Utd at that time under Ally did not lose heavily to anyone.
That Hibs side was special. Sadly...short lived.

gbhibby
02-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Did he? Am not really surprised though

Ally MacLeod,who played for us and went on to manage Scotland was also Ayr United manager.
The game after The Tornadoes won the League Cup ,we beat Ayr 8-1 at Easter Road.
Ally in an interview said in all his football days it was the best club display of football he witnessed.
Ayr Utd at that time under Ally did not lose heavily to anyone.
That Hibs side was special. Sadly...short lived.
He certainly did make the comment Mick which was not like him. Did Ally MacLeod not say that he had a plan to thwart Hibs that day,that plan went well! Aye those were the days.

Pagan Hibernia
02-09-2022, 07:41 PM
I became 21 that month
21 is 3 times 7

there’s always the film ‘Seven’. A classic!

brog
02-09-2022, 07:48 PM
He certainly did make the comment Mick which was not like him. Did Ally MacLeod not say that he had a plan to thwart Hibs that day,that plan went well! Aye those were the days.

His plan lasted 11 seconds until Crops, IIRC , scored!

brog
02-09-2022, 07:55 PM

We actually scored 5 goals in a half 6 times in 1st half of that season. Versus SCP, FC Besa and Ayr at home and Airdrie, Dundee Utd and a Tiny team away. Short but very sweet!!

IberianHibernian
02-09-2022, 09:46 PM
72 / 73 was actuallty a good season for Hearts . Think they finished about 5th which was very good for any Hearts team in the 70s . And the Ayr team we scored 8 against was also a very good Ayr team - maybe their best ever . The NY Derby at ER in 1976 finished 3 v 0 but we totally dominated after scoring 3 goals in the first half then just keeping possession in the second . Was even more one sided than 7 v 0 game .

darwenhibby
02-09-2022, 11:14 PM
72 / 73 was actuallty a good season for Hearts . Think they finished about 5th which was very good for any Hearts team in the 70s . And the Ayr team we scored 8 against was also a very good Ayr team - maybe their best ever . The NY Derby at ER in 1976 finished 3 v 0 but we totally dominated after scoring 3 goals in the first half then just keeping possession in the second . Was even more one sided than 7 v 0 game .
That was my first derby as a 7 year old
I remember being 3-0 up at half time
Second half Cruikshank had a blinder to keep the score down
Back to a party at 32 Albion Road
All the old aunties and uncles saying it should have been 7-0 again
Hibs fans singing jingle bells going along the road
Only for the game at Tanandice to be called off on the Saturday
Great days
GGTTH 🇳🇬

brog
03-09-2022, 06:59 AM

I think they actually finished mid division but at 1/1/73 they were about 4th. We really did destroy them for many years.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2022, 07:06 AM
I remember getting there early buying my Programme and taking my position on the wall behind the goals at the School End expecting a demolition job

The same spot I had grabbed for the 2-1 Scottish Cup win when Arthur had outrun the Hearts defence and had fired the winner across and beyond Crooky into the far corner

My auld man had gone for a pint and he later told me that he had problems getting in at the Gorgie Road end

He started queuing at 2.30pm in a massive queue it was slow getting in and people were getting anxious as the game kicked off and you could hear the roar from the crowd as the goals started to fly in

Word was passed down the line that Hibs were 2-0 up

The Gorgie Road end was never the safest place on earth but in the days before Health and Safety everyone pushed forward towards the turnstiles as the Jambo’s that had seen enough tried to make their escape and enjoy their Steak Pie

There must have been 36000 at the match with about 100000 hibbies at least

My memory of the match was a giant Hibby with a large green and white Dr Who scarf who had a bell and a gallon bottle of whisky underneath his overcoat and he would walk amongst both sets of fans ringing his bell giving friends and neighbours a nip out of his bottle

A great time to be alive and a great time to be a Hibby a fantastic team to watch we thought it would always be like this

https://youtu.be/Bzt4r_IIKVM

Ronniekirk
03-09-2022, 07:22 AM
Was a young teenager at the time and looking back I didn’t appreciate just how good a side that was
I still have my original programme but missing pages as I cut out playets pictures and put them on my wall lol
Remember getting the tee shirt and a hibs watch I also got one of those workmens hard hats and painted it green and white with all the players names on it You wouldn’t get into a game wearing one of those now lol
The rush from the crowds in those days meant I often. Didn’t see the build up to goals or the goals themselves
I remember we regularly took around 17 thousand to those games and don’t know why but I seem to remember a gang called the Shamrock rocking up at these games
The crush trying to get to the turnstiles to get in was something else Unique at the bit we got squeezed into on the approach
Halcon Days indeed and loved the old steam trains and crossing the Forth Road Bridge from Fife and visiting my Uncle Dougal who stayed in a ground flat opposite the Hibs Club
Used to stand at his window and watch the crowds go by at home games But I digress lol

Pagan Hibernia
03-09-2022, 07:33 AM
Looking at the footage there does seem to be a huge number of hibbees all round the ground.

even in the second half when by most accounts a lot of hearts fans had disappeared the place still looks well populated.

I know it was a different time, less segregation, probably still some people who would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next… but how many Hibs fans do we think were there that day in a crowd of 36k?

brog
03-09-2022, 09:00 AM
Looking at the footage there does seem to be a huge number of hibbees all round the ground.

even in the second half when by most accounts a lot of hearts fans had disappeared the place still looks well populated.

I know it was a different time, less segregation, probably still some people who would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next… but how many Hibs fans do we think were there that day in a crowd of 36k?

Given that Hearts would have had about 90% of the old stand, crowd was probably about 50/50. However the only Hearts place making any kind of noise was the daft bairns in the Wheatfield. TBF to them they did start a wee sing song when 3 0 down but was cut off in it's prime as Crops volleyed in #4.
Totally digressing but I remember an uglies game in 80s when blue ugly were winning in last minute. They launched into ''The cry was - -" as Roy Aitken rifled one into the top corner. I never did find out what the cry was! :greengrin

Kato
03-09-2022, 10:44 AM
Ayr Utd were 3rd or 4th in the league when we beat them 8-1 and were pretty good that season.

The "Shamrock". Was that not Young Lochend Shamrock?