PDA

View Full Version : Time for an Orange card and 10min sin bin?

Greenbeard
22-08-2022, 07:15 AM
I detest the sort of "professional" foul committed by Lundstram on Boyle but most of us would be raging if a Hibs player had seen red for an equivalent challenge. Plenty chat already this season in Hibs and other games about borderline reds given and yellows that could have been red.
I'd advocate an orange card for cynical deliberate fouls such as Lundstram's which don't meet the criteria for a straight red but prevent a player breaking into open play.

BILLYHIBS
22-08-2022, 07:24 AM
Nope

VAR will be here in the winter

Newcastle had a straight red overturned yesterday

At least it gives Refs a second look

DIXIHIBS
22-08-2022, 07:34 AM
One of the problems is that a yellow card covers so many types of foul. A lot ia down to poor refereeing though. Saw 2 fouls on sportscene...sibbick had a wee push in the back of a celtic player and got 2nd yellow and sent off. Ross Callaghan comitted a shocker but was also just booked. The callaghan one may be upgraded but it shows a yellow can be for a very minor offence or a really hefty tackle so maybe an alternatjve is needed. I like the idea of a sin bin. 10 mins off the park for minor offences. It might cut out petty fouls and also gives an advantage to the opposition which a yellow card doesnt.

DaveF
22-08-2022, 07:38 AM
One of the problems is that a yellow card covers so many types of foul. A lot ia down to poor refereeing though. Saw 2 fouls on sportscene...sibbick had a wee push in the back of a celtic player and got 2nd yellow and sent off. Ross Callaghan comitted a shocker but was also just booked. The callaghan one may be upgraded but it shows a yellow can be for a very minor offence or a really hefty tackle so maybe an alternatjve is needed. I like the idea of a sin bin. 10 mins off the park for minor offences. It might cut out petty fouls and also gives an advantage to the opposition which a yellow card doesnt.

Sin bin is a nice idea but can you imagine the time wasting that will go on within that 10min period? It would be the slowest, most tiresome 10mins you will ever witness.

Keith_M
22-08-2022, 07:50 AM
How about a sin bin for diving and time wasting?

Or even actually doing something.... anything.... to clamp down on it?

That's the worst thing in football just now.

lucky
22-08-2022, 07:54 AM
Or we just leave the laws of the game alone and get refs to be consistent.

mcohibs
22-08-2022, 07:55 AM
Introducing another card (or another form of punishment like sin bin) won't solve any problems.

The debate will just shift to whether it is a yellow card offence or an orange etc. i.e. if something is borderline orange/sinbin or not. There's always going to be debate around the parameters of what is deemed yellow, orange, sinbin, red etc. Introducing more forms of punishment just complicates it further IMO.

wookie70
22-08-2022, 08:07 AM
I'd rather they change the laws to make that type of challenge a red. If a player has no chance of winning the ball and brings and opponent down then send them off. I'd be happy if that included pulls on the jersey, rugby tackles too regardless of where they are on the pitch. It is those types of fouls teams share out so they can stop other teams playing and it ruins the game.

McGruber
22-08-2022, 08:20 AM
I'd rather they change the laws to make that type of challenge a red. If a player has no chance of winning the ball and brings and opponent down then send them off. I'd be happy if that included pulls on the jersey, rugby tackles too regardless of where they are on the pitch. It is those types of fouls teams share out so they can stop other teams playing and it ruins the game.

Totally agree. Change the rules so these challenges are reds. Probably don't even need a change of rule just a confirmation of the application of the current rules.
Red for violent contact which is excessive force. If you are cynically playing the man like that without the ball even being in the equation then it is excessive. It is excessive because no contact should be made. The same as kicking out at someone off the ball and effectively just hitting them. Doyle-Hayes challenge for me is also cynical but the difference being the ball was closer and not outwith the realms he could have reached it. He never and knew he was taking ball or man, cynical yes but a booking. At no point is the ball in the equation for Lundstrum.
The argument that he didn't endanger Boyle, less likely obviously a trip like that injures a player and Lundstrum is clearly tripping him, no intent to injure, however imagine if the way Boyle lands puts him out for months from that action which is so deliberate- make them red card offences and they stop

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2022, 08:25 AM
An Orange card - can just imagine the scenes…

hibbyfraelibby
22-08-2022, 08:27 AM
An Orange Card? Only to be used in a The Rangers game then to give them a get out of jail free card?

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2022, 08:28 AM
Seems a bit of a tussle going on - ComicalRobbie seems to want to go down the basketball route - he called out team fouls V cards yesterday. Maybe there is something about penalising teams during the game but it would add another layer of complexity to VAR at a time when we should be keeping things simple. We’ve gone so far away from refs decision is final it’s taking on an industry of its own…

I'm Spartacus
22-08-2022, 08:35 AM

There's was a study done recently that showed 'ball in play' times, the lowest has been 42 minutes with the best being 68 minutes. There was the suggestion of 80 minute timed matches, so the clock constantly stops when it's either out of play or there's a stoppage, so time wasting isn't a thing.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2022, 08:38 AM
There's was a study done recently that showed 'ball in play' times, the lowest has been 42 minutes with the best being 68 minutes. There was the suggestion of 80 minute timed matches, so the clock constantly stops when it's either out of play or there's a stoppage, so time wasting isn't a thing.

that said I can’t see what can be done about disrupting flow which will just remain another aspect of the game for some teams seeking basing their entire approach on that.

LaMotta
22-08-2022, 09:16 AM
Seems like a reasonable idea.

But then what happens when a player with an orange card gets back on? Is the slate wiped clean so if he makes another yellow card challenge he stays on the pitch? Or if he makes a second orange card challenge is it just another 10 mins in the sinbin?

LaMotta
22-08-2022, 09:17 AM

This is the solution I think.

Winston Ingram
22-08-2022, 09:19 AM
I think the solution for the orange card is to have the player automatically substituted. That'd likely make a player think again on making a challenge like Lundstram did. If they have no subs left then he still goes off.

Helensburghhibs
22-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Don't think it's the answer. Imagine how many orange cards we would get at key times 😂🤣 especially against the OF

heretoday
22-08-2022, 09:31 AM

You're right. It used to be called dirty play. Now it's tactical or "taking one for the team."
Do schools encourage kids to do likewise on the field?

I'm Spartacus
22-08-2022, 10:00 AM
And we know in Scotland an orange card could never be allowed to happen, they would call it Amber or a Warning Card!

gbhibby
22-08-2022, 02:49 PM
And we know in Scotland an orange card could never be allowed to happen, they would call it Amber or a Warning Card!
If VAR then deemed it to be a sending off would that be an Orange Walk.

RMQ1967
22-08-2022, 03:18 PM
I detest the sort of "professional" foul committed by Lundstram on Boyle but most of us would be raging if a Hibs player had seen red for an equivalent challenge. Plenty chat already this season in Hibs and other games about borderline reds given and yellows that could have been red.
I'd advocate an orange card for cynical deliberate fouls such as Lundstram's which don't meet the criteria for a straight red but prevent a player breaking into open play.

Absolutely - but 15 mins for every yellow.

Bostonhibby
22-08-2022, 03:23 PM
An Orange card - can just imagine the scenes…Huns will be marketing them to sevconians, probably have loads of wee stars on them.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

allezsauzee
22-08-2022, 03:25 PM
I'm all for using a sin bin for offences like taking of your shirt when celebrating, time wasting, dissent etc but cynical fouls like Lundstram's are a red all day for me. If a player has the choice between 10 minutes off the park (half of which will be wasted by his team mates) and allowing an opposition player even half a chance of a goalscoring opportunity, it's a no brainer for him.

Stubbsy90+2
22-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Agree.

The kind of tackles that ruin games of football. The risk/reward is far too heavily weighted towards the fouler.

If you’ve made no attempt to win the ball then send them off.

WhileTheChief..
22-08-2022, 03:57 PM
Would complicate things way too much.

"Shoulda been a red, nah orange, nope, yellow.....". The arguments would be endless.

It was a foul and was dealt with, let's move on and forget about it.

The dalmeny
22-08-2022, 04:02 PM
If VAR then deemed it to be a sending off would that be an Orange Walk.

if 2 players got it at the same time would it be a parade?

Bostonhibby
22-08-2022, 04:13 PM
if 2 players got it at the same time would it be a parade?[emoji23]

Great point, would certain refs be allowed to bring their flutes rather than whistles?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
23-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Or we just leave the laws of the game alone and get refs to be consistent.

Yep.

And enforce the rules.

Players only do so called ‘professional fouls’ and other things come to that because they know they are going to avoid severe punishment.

Give a few penalties at corners and the wrestling matches will disappear.

Northernhibee
23-08-2022, 01:03 PM
Nah, the current rules are fine and not over-complicated. They just need to be applied with common sense and consistently.

Carheenlea
24-08-2022, 11:18 AM
You're right. It used to be called dirty play. Now it's tactical or "taking one for the team."
Do schools encourage kids to do likewise on the field?

More to do with a league set up with predominantly anti-football managers/coaches.

neil7908
24-08-2022, 11:20 AM

This x1000.

neil7908
24-08-2022, 11:25 AM

Agree with this as well. The Sevco boy slid in from behind with no chance or intention of getting the ball. That should be a red all day long. What if he caught Boyle who then falls awkwardly and breaks his leg?

But the rules of the game mean he gets the same punishment as SDG does for taking his shirt off after scoring a last minute winner in the cup final???

This and a real clampdown on diving and time wasting should be top of the football authorities agenda.

Waxy
24-08-2022, 11:29 AM
Timewasting is brutal but every team does it.
It needs a solution.

wookie70
24-08-2022, 04:29 PM
Agree with this as well. The Sevco boy slid in from behind with no chance or intention of getting the ball. That should be a red all day long. What if he caught Boyle who then falls awkwardly and breaks his leg?

But the rules of the game mean he gets the same punishment as SDG does for taking his shirt off after scoring a last minute winner in the cup final???

This and a real clampdown on diving and time wasting should be top of the football authorities agenda. I agree. Most football fans could improve the football product in five minutes. Most people that run football have no interest in that product