PDA

View Full Version : Pubs open before the derby

BegbieHSC
04-08-2022, 04:47 PM
I’m getting a wee bit buzzing for Sunday now. This is probably a well discussed topic, but anyone know of any pubs open from 9/10 on derby day?

CentreLine
04-08-2022, 04:50 PM
I’m getting a wee bit buzzing for Sunday now. This is probably a well discussed topic, but anyone know of any pubs open from 9/10 on derby day?

Normally, during the festival, every licensed premises receives an automatic extension to their hours that they can chose to use if they wish. There are bound to be places open if that still applies this year.

Garymcl
04-08-2022, 08:40 PM
What about the weatherspoons pub at the foot of the walk as long as you are eating something you can buy alcohol that used to the case many times when going to hampden for an early kick off used to go to weatherspoons :thumbsup:

Carheenlea
04-08-2022, 09:05 PM
I saw a social media post from The Harp & Castle intimating that they were open pre match from 11am.

Not as early as the OP was perhaps looking for but at least it’s somewhere for a quick couple.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2022, 09:21 PM
Think most places will be 11. That's usually the case for the early Sunday kick offs.

IberianHibernian
04-08-2022, 09:27 PM
What about the weatherspoons pub at the foot of the walk as long as you are eating something you can buy alcohol that used to the case many times when going to hampden for an early kick off used to go to weatherspoons :thumbsup:Almost always on a Saturday . I remember being in a Wetherspoons in Glasgow before Ross County final ( a Sunday ) with folk having breakfast and soft drinks till stampede to bar at 12.30 . Was in the same pub 2 weeks ago midweek and the few staff who were there were sending customers to other places as there was no food before 4 and almost no bar staff .

martin1959
04-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Hoppy in marionville road is open from 9.0, usually does free pies on matchdays as well

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

munchar
04-08-2022, 10:28 PM
Hoppy in marionville road is open from 9.0, usually does free pies on matchdays as well

On a Sunday?

martin1959
05-08-2022, 05:53 AM
On a Sunday?Yes, got an early licence somehow for this sunday, my son's girlfriend is working there on sunday she starts at 9.0 then finishes about 11.30 then she's going to the game

munchar
05-08-2022, 06:21 AM
Yes, got an early licence somehow for this sunday, my son's girlfriend is working there on sunday she starts at 9.0 then finishes about 11.30 then she's going to the game

Perfect 👍 cheers 🍻 for the info

SChibs
05-08-2022, 06:56 AM

Is it not full of jambos on derby day?

Alex Trager
05-08-2022, 06:59 AM

Not on Sunday.

When I win the lottery they’ll be getting banned from the Arti pre match. Include the tims and huns in that as well

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2022, 07:00 AM

Wouldn't have thought so.

Leitherhibs
05-08-2022, 07:09 AM
Don't think there's many options pre 11, I know Wetherspoons (haven't been in one since Brexit) will likely be open but no idea what time they'd start serving alcohol?

HH81
05-08-2022, 07:18 AM
Scotland seems way out of sync with England for pub opening times.

I was in Newcastle a few weeks back, went to a boozer at 9am on a Sunday and it was just normal.

SChibs
05-08-2022, 07:21 AM
Wouldn't have thought so.

I went in after a derby and it was about 60:40 hibs fans to hearts fans. I'd have thought it may have been the other way before the game due to the location

Gatecrasher
05-08-2022, 07:29 AM
The selection of decent boozers near the stadium has dwindled in recent years, some good ones gone as well. I can't get over the Albion bar being turned into a corner shop ffs.

Lee Marvin
05-08-2022, 07:31 AM
I presume there will be a lot of people drinking in the streets? Where are they most likely to congregate?

Hermit Crab
05-08-2022, 08:58 AM
Scotland seems way out of sync with England for pub opening times.

I was in Newcastle a few weeks back, went to a boozer at 9am on a Sunday and it was just normal.

Different licensing laws up here, we have minimum pricing policies and restricted opening times. We've got the Scottish government to thank for that.

hibsbollah
05-08-2022, 09:02 AM
Is Wetherspoons a good option if you want to watch the game and have u18s with you? It’s not a pub chain I frequent very often.

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2022, 09:03 AM
Is Wetherspoons a good option if you want to watch the game and have u18s with you? It’s not a pub chain I frequent very often.

I don’t think any/many of them show live sports

Stairway 2 7
05-08-2022, 09:05 AM
Different licensing laws up here, we have minimum pricing policies and restricted opening times. We've got the Scottish government to thank for that.

Although on the other side I was surprised most pubs in London close bang on 11pm. We close at 1am mostly up town

SChibs
05-08-2022, 09:08 AM

They generally show football. Don't play music either. Soulless places to be honest

Frazerbob
05-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Minimum pricing is a good thing, our opening hours are fine. You can drink from 7am to 5am in Edinburgh today. What more do you want. The Sunday 11am opening is down The Church, so we have an outdated, fairytale to thank for that.

Oscar T Grouch
05-08-2022, 10:53 AM
Minimum pricing is a good thing, our opening hours are fine. You can drink from 7am to 5am in Edinburgh today. What more do you want. The Sunday 11am opening is down The Church, so we have an outdated, fairytale to thank for that.

Minimum pricing has been proven not to work. In fact the latest figures out show Scotland and Irelands deaths due to alcohol at an all time high despite these two nations being the only two in the British isles to have minimum pricing per unit. What It does do is effect low income alcoholics and their families to more hardships. The Scottish Government know this but have chosen to continue with minimum pricing per unit.

MartinfaePorty
05-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Yep, it was also well within living memory that you couldn't buy alcohol from a supermarket on a Sunday, then it was only after 12pm, then finally to where it is today, after 10am. Places you could drink on a Sunday were very limited and folk used to gravitate towards hotels, as their licences were more relaxed.

Since90+2
05-08-2022, 11:37 AM

What evidence is there a that minimum pricing is a good thing?

Mcbizz1998
05-08-2022, 11:43 AM

None. Papers reporting today that alcohol deaths in Scotland are at their highest in 13 years.

Iain G
05-08-2022, 11:47 AM

Taking steps and trying methods to reduce the major alcohol issues in Scotland is a good thing, but maybe this hasn't worked as hoped based on the latest figures.

Frazerbob
05-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Minimum pricing has been proven not to work. In fact the latest figures out show Scotland and Irelands deaths due to alcohol at an all time high despite these two nations being the only two in the British isles to have minimum pricing per unit. What It does do is effect low income alcoholics and their families to more hardships. The Scottish Government know this but have chosen to continue with minimum pricing per unit.

It has stopped irresponsible promotions like the £1 Vodka student nights and rock bottom priced , high alcohol, low quality products being sold in corner shops for less than a pint of milk. Alcohol deaths are happening despite minimum pricing not because of it.

This maybe isn’t for the football forum though lol

Mcbizz1998
05-08-2022, 11:52 AM
It has stopped irresponsible promotions like the £1 Vodka student nights and rock bottom priced , high alcohol, low quality products being sold in corner shops for less than a pint of milk. Alcohol deaths are happening despite minimum pricing not because of it.

This maybe isn’t for the football forum though lol

The point of the minimum pricing was to reduce problem drinking and alcohol related deaths. If the deaths are happening despite minimum pricing, then what’s the point of it?

There are also experts that think that it has pushed people into using cheap synthetic drugs as a way of getting a fix without spending money on alcohol - leading to more deaths.

This policy has been an unmitigated failure.

Frazerbob
05-08-2022, 11:56 AM
The point of the minimum pricing was to reduce problem drinking and alcohol related deaths. If the deaths are happening despite minimum pricing, then what’s the point of it?

There are also experts that think that it has pushed people into using cheap synthetic drugs as a way of getting a fix without spending money on alcohol - leading to more deaths.

This policy has been an unmitigated failure.

Maybe the deaths would be higher if there was no minimum pricing?

overdrive
05-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Although on the other side I was surprised most pubs in London close bang on 11pm. We close at 1am mostly up town

Yeah, when we were down in London earlier in the year, we were amazed that at 10.30 they were coming round offering you a plastic cup to pour your drink in and leave or otherwise drink up.

So there we there, wandering around Mayfair at 10.45pm drinking out of a plastic pint glass whilst folk were staring at us.

Mcbizz1998
05-08-2022, 12:01 PM

That’s not much of an argument. It was supposed to prevent deaths but has done the opposite and pushed people into taking street drugs.

Alcohol deaths were going down year on year when this policy was introduced, since then its actually gone up! To say this has worked or is a good thing is incoherent.

Since90+2
05-08-2022, 12:02 PM

So there is literally no way that the legislation can ever be revoked if that's the attitude.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths fall = it had worked and should continue.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths hit record levels = it might have been even higher had it not been introduced, let's keep it.

With that kind of thinking there's literally no way to offer a counterargument.

Pretty Boy
05-08-2022, 12:04 PM
I never know what the deal is with pubs in England.

When in London I always stay around Kings Cross. Of the 2 pubs I frequent regularly one closes at 11 on the dot and the other is open until 4am. The latter has a 'live music room' up the stairs so not sure if that makes a difference.

Newcastle is the same. A lot of pubs are 11 or midnight closing but take a wander and you will find boozers open until far later and clubs essentially all night if that's your thing.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2022, 12:19 PM
So there is literally no way that the legislation can ever be revoked if that's the attitude.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths fall = it had worked and should continue.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths hit record levels = it might have been even higher had it not been introduced, let's keep it.

With that kind of thinking there's literally no way to offer a counterargument.

All the evidence in Scotland and Wales is of a reduction in consumption on introduction, of course that won't stop people triumphantly making claims that its a failure when sad statistics such as alcohol related deaths are released.

Since90+2
05-08-2022, 12:30 PM
All the evidence in Scotland and Wales is of a reduction in consumption on introduction, of course that won't stop people triumphantly making claims that its a failure when sad statistics such as alcohol related deaths are released.

But this was to target problem drinkers I believe, and their overall consumption has increased and deaths at a record high.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2022, 12:37 PM
But this was to target problem drinkers I believe, and their overall consumption has increased and deaths at a record high.

1,245 people died from conditions caused by alcohol in Scotland in 2021, according to latest figures published by National Records of Scotland.

"The number of deaths is 5% (55) higher than 2020 and is the highest number of deaths since 2008. More detailed analysis shows the rate of mortality from alcohol-specific causes was 22.3 deaths per 100,000 people in 2021. Whilst this is higher than the 21.5 deaths per 100,000 in 2020, it is not a statistically significant increase, and remains below the peak rate of deaths from alcohol in 2006."

H18 SFR
05-08-2022, 12:58 PM
That’s my build up to the Derby started, night out tonight in Glasgow, race night in Ayr tomorrow night and early doors train to Edinburgh on Sunday getting me in at 11am.

tamig
05-08-2022, 05:12 PM
I never know what the deal is with pubs in England.

When in London I always stay around Kings Cross. Of the 2 pubs I frequent regularly one closes at 11 on the dot and the other is open until 4am. The latter has a 'live music room' up the stairs so not sure if that makes a difference.

Newcastle is the same. A lot of pubs are 11 or midnight closing but take a wander and you will find boozers open until far later and clubs essentially all night if that's your thing.
I worked in London for three years. I lived in a hotel on the Kings Cross/Farringdon border. During my time there the licensing laws were relaxed and pubs could more or less open whenever they fancied. I was quite often in my local at 2am or later if there were still a few of us in the boozer. Midnight was the stated closing time but it would stay open if the demand was there and the landlord lived in a flat above the pub in any case.

LustForLeith
05-08-2022, 06:04 PM
What time does the Hibs Club open at on Sunday?

DIXIHIBS
05-08-2022, 06:24 PM
What time does the Hibs Club open at on Sunday?

11am.

DIXIHIBS
05-08-2022, 06:24 PM
11am.

PS will probably be members only.

Hibiza
05-08-2022, 06:27 PM
That’s my build up to the Derby started, night out tonight in Glasgow, race night in Ayr tomorrow night and early doors train to Edinburgh on Sunday getting me in at 11am.
Nice one .

hibbymark
06-08-2022, 07:18 AM
:top marks

LewysGot2
06-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Mash Tun NOT opening before the game

CentreLine
06-08-2022, 09:51 PM

Of course it is not the case that deaths (and every one of them matters) are at an all time high. Deaths are at the highest since 2006. The paper published by the Medical Council, in 2019, was certainly very supportive of the policy and published its reasoning behind that. So what changed? It may be worth recognising that alcohol consumption took something of a jump during the period of lockdown in 2020-21, despite minimum pricing. There are always going to be factors that affect the arguments.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2022, 10:07 AM
Robbie’s open