PDA

View Full Version : Mnd

gbhibby
01-08-2022, 06:50 PM
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-son-asks-hearts-hibs-24640400
Thought this was worth sharing.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

wookie70
01-08-2022, 07:13 PM
I hope he is mentioned in the end of the year round up of Hibs fans who have passed and we can get on with the game on Sunday. I know it sounds heartless but in a game that is as important I don't want any atmosphere that has built to be broken by this. Absolutely no problem having a clap at half time or before the game, some footage on the big screens and info on the disease etc but please, nothing during it.

Fanforlife
01-08-2022, 10:17 PM
Phil was one of lifes good guys,absolute gent.💚💚

cabbageandribs1875
01-08-2022, 11:11 PM
won't be there but i hope there's a good response, no reason not to be is there

hope it brings some small comfort to his sons, family and friends at this time, and of course highlights Mnd itself

basehibby
02-08-2022, 01:14 AM
I hope he is mentioned in the end of the year round up of Hibs fans who have passed and we can get on with the game on Sunday. I know it sounds heartless but in a game that is as important I don't want any atmosphere that has built to be broken by this. Absolutely no problem having a clap at half time or before the game, some footage on the big screens and info on the disease etc but please, nothing during it.

I agree with this sentiment although I think it's probably too late to change things for Sunday so may as well go along with it and join in a tribute this time. Would far prefer to see such tributes at HT - or as part of a collective effort though. The announcer could help, making clear the connection to the awful Motor Neurone Disease for example.

These kind of tributes have become increasingly common in recent years such that sometimes they seem to be happening every home game - and as often as not, most folk have no idea what they are clapping about. Regardless, it does actually distract from the game at hand - and it's arguable it may even distract the players as they go about their business on the pitch - possibly even altering the course of a game - so I'd rather see the practice abandoned.

It's sad but true that supporters of clubs like Hibs and Hearts die in numbers every week of the year. Every death is a tragedy for the family & friends involved, but the increased frequency of such tributes tends to dilute poignancy and meaning - and they are ALWAYS a distraction.

NB - sympathies to Phil Meikle's friends and family by the way - I mean no disrespect by the above - it's just my opinion about what's become an increasingly frequent phenomonem.

Brizo
02-08-2022, 04:53 AM
Totally appreciate the points made by the previous poster basehibby and why he and others share that view.

Phil was an absolute gent and a great Hibs man and I'm sure the commemoration of his life at 66 minutes will bring a lot of solace and comfort to his family and friends in the here and now.

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2022, 07:33 AM
Phil was a great guy and a staunch Hibby always had time to stop and chat and a big smile for everyone

Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Pretty Boy
02-08-2022, 09:22 AM
I always try to join in with the applause but I have seen 3 different requests on Twitter for minutes applause on Sunday for 3 different people.

I'm sure in their own right they are all worthy of recognition and it will mean a lot to the family and friends of those involved. I knew one of the people to talk to and he was a 'well Kent face' as it were. It's nothing personal but I think we have to be realistic about the impact of these minutes applause as they become more widespread and common.

3 in one game is just asking for feelings to be hurt though as the impact and participation is diluted as each one happens. Ultimately it's a fan led thing so people will try to rally others to the cause. I'm just not sure 3 in a 90 minute period will all catch on and have the impact hoped for though. The fact only one has made it on here thus far suggests they all aren't gaining traction in all quarters.

Carheenlea
02-08-2022, 09:32 AM
I always try to join in with the applause but I have seen 3 different requests on Twitter for minutes applause on Sunday for 3 different people.

I'm sure in their own right they are all worthy of recognition and it will mean a lot to the family and friends of those involved. I knew one of the people to talk to and he was a 'well Kent face' as it were. It's nothing personal but I think we have to be realistic about the impact of these minutes applause as they become more widespread and common.

3 in one game is just asking for feelings to be hurt though as the impact and participation is diluted as each one happens. Ultimately it's a fan led thing so people will try to rally others to the cause. I'm just not sure 3 in a 90 minute period will all catch on and have the impact hoped for though. The fact only one has made it on here thus far suggests they all aren't gaining traction in all quarters.

The proposal of a game selected either at the end of the year or season where those who have passed can be remembered by family, friends and the wider Hibs community seemed to be universally endorsed and thought of as a much more appropriate tribute.

I’ll applaud along at these things but ultimately it’s out of obligation and if you don’t know the deceased, coupled with the frequency now of family tributes, such displays have become a bit diluted.

Feed McGraw
04-08-2022, 12:52 PM
I'm on holiday at present and been away for a few days and just noticed this sad news. I was at secondary school with Phil and we were good pals as young teens and I often travelled with him to away games on the old eastern branch bus . I would occasionally bump into him at Easter road on match day and the last time I did was the 5-5 game and I had a good wee blether with him. I did not even know he was ill and got a shock to read of his passing. What a lovely guy he was and what a great Hibby he was too. R.I.P. Old friend, condolences to his family.