PDA

View Full Version : BT Wifi disk

HibbyAndy
31-07-2022, 04:41 PM
I have changed broadband providers from Sky to Bt , My new BT router is upstairs whilst my PC is downstairs , With sky i had my router next to my PC and was connected via a yellow ethertet cable easy peasy..Now i can't have an ethernet cable running from upstairs to downstairs so the BT engineer said i need a 'wifi disc'

Does anyone else have their router upstairs using a wifi disk to connect to a downstairs PC ?

Green Man
31-07-2022, 05:57 PM
I’m the opposite, router downstairs and a disc upstairs. I’ve got an xbox and a Switch running fine off it.

Just Alf
31-07-2022, 06:06 PM
I’m the opposite, router downstairs and a disc upstairs. I’ve got an xbox and a Switch running fine off it.Folks are similar... in fact after a few supplier changes over the years they've said this was so seemless they're not changing again lol

HibbyAndy
31-07-2022, 06:25 PM
I think my point is if my PC is downstairs and not plugged into my router then how can a wifi disk upstairs find a connection ?

pollution
31-07-2022, 06:32 PM
This is news to me. I have BT wi fi downstairs and it works well upstairs without a disc or anything.

Are we talking about the same thing ?

HibbyAndy
31-07-2022, 06:45 PM
This is news to me. I have BT wi fi downstairs and it works well upstairs without a disc or anything.

Are we talking about the same thing ?

Nae idea , But when i got BT installed the engineer said i can only put the router upstairs which is nae good to me as my PC is downstairs which was fine when i was with Sky as my router was next to my PC plugged in via a yellow ethernet cable

speedy_gonzales
31-07-2022, 08:27 PM
If you absolutely need your PC to be connected via ethernet, have you considered using powerline adaptors?
They plug in to your mains network, one by the router, one by the PC. The powerline adaptors connect to each other over your electric cabling and you connect your router & PC to the powerlines with a short (or long) Ethernet cable.
You can get decent download speeds using them but take care if it's for gaming as the ping latency isn't the best.

Moulin Yarns
01-08-2022, 07:47 AM
Have you tried to see if it works fine without the disk?

Green Man
01-08-2022, 08:37 AM
I think my point is if my PC is downstairs and not plugged into my router then how can a wifi disk upstairs find a connection ?

Ah, got you. You would need a wireless network card in your PC to connect using the disc, otherwise a wired connection using powerline adapters as suggested above.

Edit: just checked my disc and it has an Ethernet port. So you can have your disc downstairs next to your PC and plug them in.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2022, 09:10 AM
If you absolutely need your PC to be connected via ethernet, have you considered using powerline adaptors?
They plug in to your mains network, one by the router, one by the PC. The powerline adaptors connect to each other over your electric cabling and you connect your router & PC to the powerlines with a short (or long) Ethernet cable.
You can get decent download speeds using them but if take care of its for gaming as the ping latency isn't the best.

That's what I use.

oneone73
01-08-2022, 09:37 AM
I've got three BT discs. I think they're great. Router is downstairs. Work laptop is plugged into the disc in my upstairs study.

HibbyAndy
01-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Ah, got you. You would need a wireless network card in your PC to connect using the disc, otherwise a wired connection using powerline adapters as suggested above.

Edit: just checked my disc and it has an Ethernet port. So you can have your disc downstairs next to your PC and plug them in.

That's exactly what i'm on about :aok:

£100 for the disk though :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
06-08-2022, 05:40 AM
That's exactly what i'm on about :aok:

£100 for the disk though :rolleyes:

Would a £5-£10 wireless card stuck in to a spare USB port on your PC not work? :dunno:

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/computing/servers-networking/networking/router-accessories/tp-link-tl-wn725n-network-adapter-usb-2-0/P237049P?cidp=Froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfgf93ZYQnNHmGWiDquf 131o4NAMm2T_49xKDwYlC1_uEVX0F6RCwcYaArNzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

HibbyAndy
06-08-2022, 02:07 PM
Would a £5-£10 wireless card stuck in to a spare USB port on your PC not work? :dunno:

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/computing/servers-networking/networking/router-accessories/tp-link-tl-wn725n-network-adapter-usb-2-0/P237049P?cidp=Froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfgf93ZYQnNHmGWiDquf 131o4NAMm2T_49xKDwYlC1_uEVX0F6RCwcYaArNzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can only try i guess , Ordered one :aok:

Just Alf
06-08-2022, 03:05 PM
Can only try i guess , Ordered one :aok:I used one of those with no issues for work stuff. Well worth a try.

HibbyAndy
08-08-2022, 04:32 PM
This is going to sound daft but i really don't have a clue about technical stuff:greengrin

Sooo ...On my PC , Along the bottom on the screen Their is a wee icon saying 'internet access' i clicked on it and it brings up my bt broadband details , I clicked on that and it connected me :thumbsup::thumbsup: Nae wifi disk needed , And their was me gonna spend £100 on a disc i dinnae even need !! Nae ethernet cable , Totally wireless ...BT broadband £25 a month

Just Alf
08-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Sorted!... must've been WiFi enabled already :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
08-08-2022, 06:17 PM
Have you tried to see if it works fine without the disk?

Ahem!

pollution
08-08-2022, 06:29 PM
All that for nothing !! £100 better off. It makes you wonder....

HibbyAndy
08-08-2022, 06:31 PM
Ahem!

Aken mate :greengrin