PDA

View Full Version : NHC Terry Neil

He's here!
28-07-2022, 08:56 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62336286

Remember him well from my 1970s Panini football sticker albums. Hadn't realised he retired from playing so early and also stepped away from management so young.

IberianHibernian
28-07-2022, 09:07 PM
Remember him as a player and manager but also remember being in one of his sports bars in London ( near City right at Thames ) in late 80s ( ? ) . First time I`d ever been in one of these multi screen sports bars , was probably special at the time . RIP

brog
28-07-2022, 09:45 PM

Remember him well from my 1970s Panini football sticker albums. Hadn't realised he retired from playing so early and also stepped away from management so young.

He (accidentally) did in my cuz's knee in a LC tie and as a result an intended transfer to Man C fell through!
Great player, fine man.

Mibbes Aye
28-07-2022, 11:48 PM

He was Arsenal manager when I first started taking an interest in them, probably noticed them because they were the first team in the Panini albums in those days! He also signed Charlie Nicholas for them which was a real coup and sealed the deal for me as Nicholas was a bit of a boyhood hero at the time.

When I think of him it's probably the 1979 FA Cup final that sticks in the memory the most. What a genuine classic. Watched it a few times and it still retains the drama. And it lends itself to a classic football trivia question :greengrin

Likewise, I had never really clocked how young he was as a manager. And despite knowing, it had never really sunk in that he had taken Arenal to the FA Cup final three years in a row. This was at a time when the FA Cup final was significantly more prestigious. Pre-Sky money I can only remeember the fantastic mid-80s Everton side doing it

Pagan Hibernia
29-07-2022, 07:42 AM
He was Arsenal manager when I first started taking an interest in them, probably noticed them because they were the first team in the Panini albums in those days! He also signed Charlie Nicholas for them which was a real coup and sealed the deal for me as Nicholas was a bit of a boyhood hero at the time.

When I think of him it's probably the 1979 FA Cup final that sticks in the memory the most. What a genuine classic. Watched it a few times and it still retains the drama. And it lends itself to a classic football trivia question :greengrin

Likewise, I had never really clocked how young he was as a manager. And despite knowing, it had never really sunk in that he had taken Arenal to the FA Cup final three years in a row. This was at a time when the FA Cup final was significantly more prestigious. Pre-Sky money I can only remeember the fantastic mid-80s Everton side doing it

Used to love the FA Cup. Not as much as the Scottish but it wasn’t far off. As a bit of an anorak I could name all the winners from every year.

it’s lost all of that imo. Off the top of my head I couldn’t even tell you who won it last season. City or Liverpool presumably.

anyway, back on track, Terry Neil.