PDA

View Full Version : Captain - David Marshall

flash
28-07-2022, 09:09 AM
https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1552581187037790209?t=7DgvHf7aT6SCfjQns33dGg&s=19

Happy with this on all fronts.

04Sauzee
28-07-2022, 09:11 AM
David Marshall has been announced as the new Hibs team captain with Paul Hanlon the Club captain. Ryan Porteous will take Captain duties if either of those players are unavailable

04Sauzee
28-07-2022, 09:12 AM
Sorry as I was typing another poster beat me to it, please delete or merge
Thanks

OldEast
28-07-2022, 09:12 AM
David Marshall has been announced as the new Hibs team captain with Paul Hanlon the Club captain. Ryan Porteous will take Captain duties if either of those players are unavailable

Good! An experienced keeper is the right call as captain imo

Stubbsy90+2
28-07-2022, 09:26 AM
When did clubs start allocating all these different roles? Noticed someone else do it recently as well but can’t think who it was -
Maybe Villa when they announced McGinn as captain?

What happened to someone just being captain? I presume Marshall will be captain even when Hanlon is playing?

MWHIBBIES
28-07-2022, 09:27 AM
A good move I think. Shame for Paul, but I think he'll understand and respect the decision.

JohnM1875
28-07-2022, 09:28 AM
Wonder if folk will moan at Marshall for not being vocal enough when he doesn't sprint half the length of the pitch to shout at the ref for a bad tackle 😂.

Just_Jimmy
28-07-2022, 09:29 AM
A good move I think. Shame for Paul, but I think he'll understand and respect the decision.I don't think it means that. I think Marshall will captain the team when Hanlon isn't on the pitch. If Hanlon plays, he's captain.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

flash
28-07-2022, 09:30 AM
I don't think it means that. I think Marshall will captain the team when Hanlon isn't on the pitch. If Hanlon plays, he's captain.

Marshall will be captain every game he plays in.

B.H.F.C
28-07-2022, 09:30 AM
I don't think it means that. I think Marshall will captain the team when Hanlon isn't on the pitch. If Hanlon plays, he's captain.

Na it means Marshall is captain whenever he’s on the pitch.

Winston Ingram
28-07-2022, 09:32 AM
So who's captain when both play? I think it's really unclear. Declan Rice was Team Captain at West Ham but handed over the armband every time Club Captain Mark Noble Noble played. On the flipside, Yesterday, Tyrone Mings was removed as Villa Captain and replaced by SJM. Ashley Young was appointed Club Captian. I can't see Gerrard making all the effort to remove Mings and appoint McGinn if he has to hand it over every time Young comes on.

EDIT: Confirmed that Marshall is captain when both play.
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/lee-johnson-confirms-hibs-captain

Hermit Crab

Wrong. Hanlon will only captain the team when Marshall is unavailable.

"Paul Hanlon will remain as Club Captain and will continue to play an important role both on and off the pitch. He will captain the Hibees when Marshall is unavailable for selection."

B.H.F.C
Wonder if folk will moan at Marshall for not being vocal enough when he doesn't sprint half the length of the pitch to shout at the ref for a bad tackle 😂.

Don’t think he will be running half the length of the pitch.

But in the first half of the Morton game he was going bonkers at the rest of the team for not being of the refs case about their time wasting.

04Sauzee
28-07-2022, 09:33 AM
So who's captain when both play? I think it's really unclear. Declan Rice was Team Captain at West Ham but handed over the armband every time Club Captain Mark Noble Noble played. On the flipside, Yesterday, Tyrone Mings was removed as Villa Captain and replaced by SJM. Ashley Young was appointed Club Captian. I can't see Gerrard making all the effort to remove Mings and appoint McGinn if he has to hand it over every time Young comes on.

Marshall captain
Hanlon will captain the team is Marshall isn't playing
Porteous will be captain if either of the above aren't on the field.

That's how I read it anyway.

Hermit Crab
28-07-2022, 09:33 AM

Marshall. It clearly states that.

The_Sauz
28-07-2022, 09:36 AM

Nope you are wrong my friend :wink: Paul is now the Club captain, and is back-up to Marshall, who is now the overall team captain:agree:

J-C
28-07-2022, 09:37 AM
I see club captain as the main club ambassador on and off the pitch, team captain is as it states for matches. We've never really done this before, always had a captain and a vice captain.

EdinMike
28-07-2022, 09:38 AM
Gutted for Lewey, but if you were to ask him I don’t think he would ever put himself in contention for captaincy. He’s just not kinda guy.

WellingtonHibby
28-07-2022, 09:40 AM
I see club captain as the main club ambassador on and off the pitch, team captain is as it states for matches. We've never really done this before, always had a captain and a vice captain.

Think SDG assumed the club captain role for a spell

CapitalGreen
28-07-2022, 09:41 AM

Not formally but there was period when Gray was club captain yet rarely playing and Hanlon was essentially team captain as he was playing and captaining the team every week.

The_Sauz
28-07-2022, 09:42 AM
And if all 3 are not playing Hermit Crab will take over the role.......As he likes to moan about everything to the Ref and players :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
28-07-2022, 09:48 AM
Why are we getting so confused with this - the statement is fairly clear?

Mick O'Rourke
28-07-2022, 09:53 AM

So Ryan's title will be Deputy Marshall :cb

Since452
28-07-2022, 09:57 AM
I'm happy about this.

supermcginn
28-07-2022, 09:57 AM

The article clearly states Marshall is captain if playing. Would possibly mean Hanlon will be no longer first choice.

1875Sean
28-07-2022, 10:03 AM
The article clearly states Marshall is captain if playing. Would possibly mean Hanlon will be no longer first choice.

Based on the defence so far he will be first choice

Viva_Palmeiras
28-07-2022, 10:05 AM
Why are we getting so confused with this - the statement is fairly clear?

I blame reality TV shows :)

Just_Jimmy
28-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Wrong. Hanlon will only captain the team when Marshall is unavailable.

"Paul Hanlon will remain as Club Captain and will continue to play an important role both on and off the pitch. He will captain the Hibees when Marshall is unavailable for selection."In that case it's a nonsense.

Paul is either captain or not.

***** way to treat a Hibs legend.

Logie
28-07-2022, 10:12 AM
Happy about this great professional, going on the Bonnyrigg game he was so vocal, very positive too that must be a huge plus for our defence!

Renfrew_Hibby
28-07-2022, 10:14 AM

No Paul is now Club Captain, its a different role from team captain. Most clubs are moving to this position, makes a lot of sense.

Just_Jimmy
28-07-2022, 10:15 AM
The article clearly states Marshall is captain if playing. Would possibly mean Hanlon will be no longer first choice.So it clearly states it? But you're still not sure?

Cheers

Victor
28-07-2022, 10:16 AM
Some might find it unfair on Paul Hanlon, but the Manager, obviously believes that David Marshall will do a better job. There can be no room for sentimentality when choosing such an important role.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-07-2022, 10:20 AM
In that case it's a nonsense.

So if a better candidate for captain comes up they’re discounted based on the fact they never took part in a game in 2016 (albeit the ultimate game)?

I think the issue around captain is a bit of a red herring. We want all players to take responsibility lumping a lot of that on an individual is flawed IMO.

Paul can still be as influential - we certainly miss him when he’s not around. But maybe that’s kinda baked in to the thinking, injury and form may mean he’s not able to be around as consistently as years gone by. ?

danhibees1875
28-07-2022, 10:21 AM

My concern with Marshall is him wondering up half the length of the pitch mid-play. :wink:

Greenio
28-07-2022, 10:25 AM
With Ryan given a key leadership role for the season, can we assume he's staying? Would be an odd move to do that if he he'd not committed no?

offshorehibby
28-07-2022, 10:26 AM

I'm sure Porto will step up for that role. :agree:

J-C
28-07-2022, 10:27 AM
Not formally but there was period when Gray was club captain yet rarely playing and Hanlon was essentially team captain as he was playing and captaining the team every week.

The only real difference is Gray always took the arm band when he played but this won't bother Paul, club captain is an important role.

Hibbyradge
28-07-2022, 10:34 AM
And if all 3 are not playing Hermit Crab will take over the role.......As he likes to moan about everything to the Ref and players :greengrin

Mostly about the players.

Unseen work
28-07-2022, 10:35 AM
Delighted it’s Marshall with essential Hanlon as vice captain.

Find it a bit odd Porteous now has his own ‘leadership’ role but doesn’t really change anything.

Hermit Crab
28-07-2022, 10:36 AM
In that case it's a nonsense.

Hanlons an adult, he will understand and respect the managers decisions, who knows, perhaps LJ and Hanlon had a chat about it before any decision was made?

Hanlons at an age now where injuries are beginning to catch up on him. He's had a good career at Hibs but its the beginning of the end for him now.

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-07-2022, 10:39 AM
Big fan of the experienced keeper being captain

A good call also giving RP leadership responsibilities. A good move for his development. Hopefully he signs that new contract now he sees how valuable he is to us (not that it was a reason for not signing, but an extra incentive)

supermcginn
28-07-2022, 10:39 AM
So it clearly states it? But you're still not sure?

Cheers

Eh? If both are playing Marshall is captain. Great decision.

supermcginn
28-07-2022, 10:49 AM
Based on the defence so far he will be first choice
Looks to me like the new Centre back coming in will be first choice or why bother dropping him as captain?

SlickShoes
28-07-2022, 10:52 AM

Find it a bit odd Porteous now has his own ‘leadership’ role but doesn’t really change anything.

I see it as he's on track to becoming captain, it's giving him a role where if he proves he can handle it then he will get promoted upward.

MikeyS
28-07-2022, 11:20 AM
So Ryan's title will be Deputy Marshall :cb

Assistant to the regional manager

Lago
28-07-2022, 11:22 AM

Nope not how it will work, your not reading the announcement correctly

MikeyS
28-07-2022, 11:24 AM

In all honesty it's probably just a way of recognising Porto's talent and standing within the squad. Hopefully the title gives him a little more personal responsibility and makes him screw the nut a bit.

Or at least until he buggers off on the last hour of the transfer window!

Lago
28-07-2022, 11:25 AM
No Paul is now Club Captain, its a different role from team captain. Most clubs are moving to this position, makes a lot of sense.
Correct, easy to understand in my opinion

Carheenlea
28-07-2022, 11:27 AM
Wonder who’s captain when Marshall and Hanlon are injured and Porto suspended? Joe Newall maybe?

WestStandWillie
28-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Interesting comment from Marshall:

"I'm more than comfortable with the armband. I'm still assuming Paul will be captain when he's fit!"

:confused:

Just_Jimmy
28-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Nope not how it will work, your not reading the announcement correctlyI didn't read the announcement. I saw on social media the list of titles then this thread.

The confusion comes from the fact club captain in the past would always out rank the captain on the pitch. Who in turn stood in when the club captain couldn't play or wasn't on the park.

It's getting much more mileage than it needs tbh.

I think it's pretty poor to have Paul on the park as club captain whilst Marshall is apparently out ranking him as captain of the team. Others clearly don't think so fair enough.

SlickShoes
28-07-2022, 12:26 PM
Maybe Hanlon isn't going to be playing any time soon, so he keeps his club captain role and gets a less rushed path back to fitness. We are going to have to have another captain for at least the first month of the season, so naming Marshall in that role makes sense, if we do well then it would be insane to strip him of that just because Hanlon is fit again.

hibbyfraelibby
28-07-2022, 12:31 PM

Marshall will bethe leader on the field, Hanlon will bethe Shop Steward and Porto will be on the picket line shouting at everyone😉

Since452
28-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Interesting comment from Marshall:

"I'm more than comfortable with the armband. I'm still assuming Paul will be captain when he's fit!"

:confused:

Hanlon will captain Hibs when Marshall is not avaliable for selection.

easty
28-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Assistant to the regional manager

That’s exactly what I thought tae Mikey!

easty
28-07-2022, 04:07 PM
I didn't read the announcement. I saw on social media the list of titles then this thread.

The confusion comes from the fact club captain in the past would always out rank the captain on the pitch. Who in turn stood in when the club captain couldn't play or wasn't on the park.

It's getting much more mileage than it needs tbh.

I think it's pretty poor to have Paul on the park as club captain whilst Marshall is apparently out ranking him as captain of the team. Others clearly don't think so fair enough.

Out-ranking him?

Far too much is being made of this.

Marshall will wear the armband, Hanlon will play the exact same way he did as captain but won’t wear the armband.

It’s really not that big a deal.

JimBHibees
28-07-2022, 07:43 PM
Out-ranking him?

Far too much is being made of this.

Marshall will wear the armband, Hanlon will play the exact same way he did as captain but won’t wear the armband.

It’s really not that big a deal.

Absolutely no big deal at all. They are professional players not spoiled toddlers.

28-07-2022, 08:58 PM
Don’t think he will be running half the length of the pitch.

But in the first half of the Morton game he was going bonkers at the rest of the team for not being of the refs case about their time wasting.

I hope not.

https://i.ibb.co/9HhF5cf/E32s5wu-XMAAb-F1-A-jpg-large.jpg (https://ibb.co/Qvk2wpq)

RIP
28-07-2022, 09:23 PM
Hanlon is currently out of the team, recovering slowly after a major operation.

The manager has to appoint a Team Captain before the first game of the season.

So it can’t be Paul Hanlon. Lee has to pick someone else. He’s chosen Marshall, who has been performing the role in pre-season.

Paul is made Club Captain which is a role suitable for a player not currently available.

Most sensible and straightforward decision IMO.

tamh
29-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Hanlon is currently out of the team, recovering slowly after a major operation.

The manager has to appoint a Team Captain before the first game of the season.

So it can’t be Paul Hanlon. Lee has to pick someone else. He’s chosen Marshall, who has been performing the role in pre-season.

Paul is made Club Captain which is a role suitable for a player not currently available.

Most sensible and straightforward decision IMO.
At the end of the day Paul has been dropped from being team captain because the manager says he's not seen him play on grass ?...:confused: Mental

Scouse Hibee
29-07-2022, 11:17 AM
At the end of the day Paul has been dropped from being team captain because the manager says he's not seen him play on grass ?...:confused: Mental

He’s not been dropped at all, was the club captain and remains the club captain.

J-C
29-07-2022, 11:30 AM

Absolute nonsense