PDA

View Full Version : The season 22/23 Match Day Scran Thread

Pretty Boy
24-07-2022, 06:55 AM
Thought we could have a single thread for reviews and discussion around match day food options on our various adventures this season.

Options available, price, quality etc. This is meant to be light hearted so please treat it as such.

I'll kick off with:

Easter Road - Hibs v Clyde

Chips. £2.70. solid effort. Chips appeared hand cut and were more like wedges than chips. Maybe ever so slightly undercooked but not a huge problem. Decent sized portion that was just about right for sharing with my daughter. £2.30 for the accompanying juice decanted into a plastic cup was overpriced. 7/10

Meadowbank - FC Edinburgh v Arbroath

Burger. £5. Pricy for a football burger. Served from a catering van. Burger was decent. Well cooked, just at the point of being done but still juicy. Caramelised onions were a nice extra. Roll let it down. Too floury, not toasted and a bit limp and sad. 6/10

Broadwood - Broomhill v Spartans.

Mince Pie. £1.90. Decent price for a pie these days. Standard fare really. Unidentifiable grey meat surrounded by pastry. Meat was quite tasty though and had a nice kick from some black pepper. Pastry was well cooked with the base holding firm so no grease leakage onto hands. Only real let down was the top didn't have that nice crunch. 8/10.

Tambo
24-07-2022, 11:08 AM
Was hoping for a scotch pie from baynes but guess it's closed on a Sunday 😔

Pete70
24-07-2022, 11:11 AM
Was hoping for a scotch pie from baynes but guess it's closed on a Sunday 😔

I had a steak bake from Baynes yesterday. Much better than Greggs.

Billy Whizz
24-07-2022, 11:14 AM
I had a steak bake from Baynes yesterday. Much better than Greggs.

They do lovely Chicken pies too
Looks like it will be ER for a macaroni pie today

Crab apple
24-07-2022, 11:20 AM
My son had two steak and black pudding pies at Gayfield yesterday which he said were top notch.

Hiber-nation
24-07-2022, 11:35 AM
Never usually bother with the catering at ER but had a scotch pie the other night and it was was awful. Overcooked and dry with a horrible crumby texture on the top. Same ones that you get at tynie.

Tambo
24-07-2022, 12:25 PM
Never usually bother with the catering at ER but had a scotch pie the other night and it was was awful. Overcooked and dry with a horrible crumby texture on the top. Same ones that you get at tynie.

Just had one and the crust was shocking but better than nothing.

SteveHFC
24-07-2022, 01:04 PM
It looks like they’ve stopped selling the pizza twist’s.

Jones28
24-07-2022, 01:06 PM
I would like to give the chicken balti pies served at Stenhousemuir a shout and urge you to try one of you get the chance.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Easter Road - Hibs v Norwich

Cheese and bacon fries. £2.75 Chips of the same quality as previous. Arguably slightly better as they were cooked a bit further. Frankly that's it for the positives though and saves the offering from a zero score. A decent vet would have been able to get a pulse back into the bacon and I'm not sure what the 'cheese' was but oozing yellow liquid does not cheddar make. My daughter described it as tasting like sick but frankly that's an insult to vomit. A generous 2/10.

Hibby70
24-07-2022, 01:54 PM
We got chips in the west stand and they are back to the old straight cardboard fellies. Preferred the wedge type ones.

Wee Scottie Dug
24-07-2022, 03:53 PM
Chicken curry pie and Diet Coke combo today - both decent - no idea of the price though as the tills packed in (west upper) so the supervisor apologised for the delay and gave it away for free :thumbsup:

BoltonHibee
24-07-2022, 04:06 PM
My son had two steak and black pudding pies at Gayfield yesterday which he said were top notch.

Had them at a game there last season. Unbelievable !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesHFC
Chicken curry pie and Diet Coke combo today - both decent - no idea of the price though as the tills packed in (west upper) so the supervisor apologised for the delay and gave it away for free :thumbsup:

I had the Mr Singh chicken curry pie today and thought it was awful. £3.65 I think it was.

Pete70
Had a coke in the East. £2.60. Not sure how that compares to other grounds as I don’t usually go to away games.

Mikey_1875
24-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Went for the “cheap option” of a scotch pie in the West Lower today. Texture was decent enough, pastry not overcooked and the filling wasn’t as congealed as expected. Hard to give a mark for taste as there wasn’t any. It could certainly be introduced to salt and pepper as a minimum. A lot of brown sauce required to make up the shortfall.

Had a lot worse, 5/10.

Wilbur
24-07-2022, 04:59 PM
I was looking forward to the Kilted donuts they had last season but none today, hopefully still having them this season. Settled for the chips though, it was the wedge type, stone cold. Still ate them though. 😂

LewysGot2
24-07-2022, 05:01 PM
Tills in the West Upper north end were not working so had to go back down the stairs to the lower west to get anything

Jay
24-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Never use the catering really but today got a diet coke. It was almost undrinkable. Weird bitter aftertaste.

Malthibby
24-07-2022, 05:37 PM

Sadly the case in the East today as well, my steak pie was okay but my wife's scotch pie was dry & totally overcooked. More or less inedible.

B.H.F.C
24-07-2022, 05:58 PM
Sadly the case in the East today as well, my steak pie was okay but my wife's scotch pie was dry & totally overcooked. More or less inedible.

Scotch pie I had was all right. Bigger issue was trying to get it, the lassie had no idea what it actually was.

Twiglet
24-07-2022, 06:28 PM
Didn't get anything to eat in the stadium today but went to the £2 pizza place at the end of the road. Decent piece of pepperoni pizza for a good price, can imagine it will be busy during the season.
Went to get a drink at half time and saw that you can get water for free instead of having to buy a bottle, took that option and they filled the cup right up. Will be taking advantage of that during the season if it continues.

Aldo
24-07-2022, 06:36 PM
Portugal - Just outside Albufeira

Olives and Sardines/Prawns with baguette and salad.

Washed down with Rose and G and T’s.

Managed to catch a decent amount of todays game whilst getting tucked into a late lunch….

Total cost - 20 euros….

Tambo
24-07-2022, 06:48 PM
Scotch pie I had was all right. Bigger issue was trying to get it, the lassie had no idea what it actually was.

The inside on mine was ok but the outside was overcooked and crusty and looked uglier than Stevie Fulton.

stantonhibby
24-07-2022, 06:49 PM
Portugal - Just outside Albufeira

Olives and Sardines/Prawns with baguette and salad.

Washed down with Rose and G and T’s.

Managed to catch a decent amount of todays game whilst getting tucked into a late lunch….

Total cost - 20 euros….

Olhos D'Agua?

Diclonius
24-07-2022, 06:50 PM
Had a pie and those bizarre lattice chips at ER last season - first time I've had anything there for about a decade - and they were actually pretty good. Shame if they're back to regular chips now.

evy
24-07-2022, 06:57 PM
I was looking forward to the Kilted donuts they had last season but none today, hopefully still having them this season. Settled for the chips though, it was the wedge type, stone cold. Still ate them though. 😂

Kilted doughnuts have closed their leith shop now as well. Dunno if it was just a local link-up, but Stockbridge isn’t too far I guess.

CockneyRebel
24-07-2022, 07:40 PM

I bought chips today and they weren't hot enough, overcooked and quite dry. A cardboard box full of cardboard chips. They must have been under the warming (sic) light too long I reckon. Had a hotdog at the previous game which was pretty good.......not cheap mind. Prices at matches/cinemas etc. have always been high and I reckon the burger vans do a better job.

Aldo
24-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Olhos D'Agua?

No just to the north. Near the village farm bar! Next to camp site!

Stayed there a number of years ago!

stantonhibby
24-07-2022, 07:53 PM
No just to the north. Near the village farm bar!

Stayed there a number of years ago!

Ah ok....just wondered as just got back on Fri. Enjoy!

Aldo
24-07-2022, 07:55 PM
Ah ok....just wondered as just got back on Fri. Enjoy!

Thanks. Been to Algarve about a dozen times. Brilliant place. Was 43 degrees earlier and I was melting!

Pretty Boy
30-07-2022, 05:28 PM
McDiarmid Park - St Johnstone v Hibs.

Steak and black pudding pie. £3.10. Early signs were encouraging. Pastry looked nicely coloured and had a smattering of poppy seeds on top. My early instincts were correct. The pastry on top was both crunchy and flaky. I was concerned the black pudding would be stodgy and make this dry but it was nicely proportioned, the steak was chunky and tender and there was a lot of gravy. Only negative was the pastry towards the bottom was a bit doughy and almost verging on soggy. This means a bit of collapse late on in the eating. A solid effort though even at £3.10 which is the top end of what I would pay for a pie. Service was friendly but slow. 8/10.

GreenGray
30-07-2022, 05:40 PM
No hot food in the Ormond Stand today, fuming.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Easter Road - Hibs v Hearts

Hot Dog. £4.80. Firstly not what we wanted. 'we don't sell chips in this stand' isn't great. FF Upper. Hot dog is your standard service station, cinema, sport event deal. Rubbery and probably about 3% meat. Tasty in a 'this is obviously garbage' kind of way though. Queue was long but moved quickly and the service was decent, chip issue excepted and that isn't really the girl servings fault. 5/10.

SteveHFC
07-08-2022, 10:42 AM
Easter Road - Hibs v Hearts

Hot Dog. Firstly not what we wanted. 'we don't sell chips in this stand' isn't great. FF Upper. Hot dog is your standard service station, cinema, sport event deal. Rubbery and probably about 3% meat. Tasty in a 'this is obviously garbage' kind of way though. Queue was long but moved quickly and the service was decent, chip issue excepted and that isn't really the girl servings fault. 5/10.

I see we don’t sell pizza anymore. Sad times.

Lancs Harp
07-08-2022, 04:48 PM
Cochrane rates our chips 10/10

Jim44
07-08-2022, 04:59 PM
Somebody was complaining about £4 for a mince pie on another thread. :shocked:

SteveHFC
07-08-2022, 05:03 PM
Somebody was complaining about £4 for a mince pie on another thread. :shocked:

Was £3.85 for a Steak Pie.