PDA

View Full Version : (SHC) Uwe Seeler RIP

GloryGlory
21-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Uwe Seeler has passed away.

ISTR watching him at ER in a game against Hamburg in the old Fairs Cup.

Lancs Harp
21-07-2022, 05:11 PM
Just seen this. RIP Uwe.
He scored the Hamburg goal at Easter Road which effectively knocked us out of the Fairs Cup 68/69 (we won 2-1at Easter Road but lost 1-0 in Germany).
He played in 4 World cups for then West Germany including the 66 final. He spent his entire career with Hamburg although did do a mini comeback after retirement turning out in Ireland I think for Cork Celtic.
He was 85. RIP

Alfiembra
21-07-2022, 05:11 PM
Yes around about 1969, remember seeing him at ER can’t remember if he scored or not, think we lost 1-2 at home and 1-0 away.

Hiber-nation
21-07-2022, 05:12 PM
When he played for West Germany I remember wondering how an old baldy guy like that could be such a good striker! Shame he didn't get the World Cup winners medal he deserved.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Great player probably one of the best centre forwards ever produced by Germany

Gerd Muller RIP as well obviously

Remember the Hamburg game well

1-0 down from the first leg Hibs bombarded the Hamburg goal Joe McBride another brilliant centre forward scored twice

Hibs had two good goals disallowed for offside ( The Hamburg goalkeeper wore a green jersey)

Penalty King Joe Davis even had a rare penalty miss

Uwe Seeler scored the precious away goal when a Hibs defender slipped at the halfway line and he burst through to score easily putting the Germans through 2-2 on the away goal

The Referee arranged for the teams to change ends in expectation of extra time after the full time whistle but 27000 streetwise disappointed Hibs fans feeling robbed were already heading for the exits

Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Ray_
21-07-2022, 05:33 PM
He got the goal for Hamburg, that put us out [on away goals], back at the start of 1969. Highly respected player at the time R.I.P.

heretoday
22-07-2022, 01:57 AM
He got one in the 1970 WC in Mexico to knock out England. A backwards header if I remember correctly. Gerd Muller got the winner so you had the two eras changing about.

cocopops1875
22-07-2022, 05:50 AM
I’ve got a match worn shirt of his from a Charity game, class player and a very classy shirt

Forza Fred
22-07-2022, 05:54 AM
Just seen this. RIP Uwe.
He scored the Hamburg goal at Easter Road which effectively knocked us out of the Fairs Cup 68/69 (we won 2-1at Easter Road but lost 1-0 in Germany).
He played in 4 World cups for then West Germany including the 66 final. He spent his entire career with Hamburg although did do a mini comeback after retirement turning out in Ireland I think for Cork Celtic.
He was 85. RIP

I was at that game.

I remember he had a specially made set of boots with one heel padded to protect him for further injury on his heel.

PeeJay
22-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Sad news to hear of "uns Uwe's" passing. A great footballer, extremely popular all over this country and - by all accounts - a down-to-earth and very humble and decent human being.

Offered a million Deutschmarks to go and play in Italy at Inter he preferred to stay in Hamburg with his team. In those days, to supplement his income, he sold sports products "after hours" for Adidas (and others I think), clocking up 40,000 kilometres a year doing so: changed days.

Saw him at ER with Hamburg and who can forget that goal against England in Mexico with the back of his head?

Machs gut Uwe! :not worth

delbert
22-07-2022, 08:15 AM
Uwe Seeler has passed away.

ISTR watching him at ER in a game against Hamburg in the old Fairs Cup.

When he had his testimonial in the 70’s between Germany and a Rest of the World side, Alan Gordon played for the RotW side, think it was in the Olympic Stadium in Munich.

Sauerkraut
22-07-2022, 08:19 AM
Ich weiß nicht, was soll es bedeuten,
Daß ich so traurig bin

Wiedersehen, Uwe. I was there in 1970. Disappointed, but thrilled and proud in the presence of such wonderful footballers.

Glory glory.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2022, 09:42 AM
When he had his testimonial in the 70’s between Germany and a Rest of the World side, Alan Gordon played for the RotW side, think it was in the Olympic Stadium in Munich.

Alan Gordon played in Willi Shulz’s Testimonial Hamburg v Rest of the World XI playing up front with Gerd Muller providing two assists IIRC

Uwe Seeler played for Hamburg

Uwe Seller’s Testimonial was played on 1st May 1972 SV Hamburg 3 v 7 Europe XI

Some goal by Beckenbauer

https://youtu.be/_bkAzOadHuc