PDA

View Full Version : Two nil down at Tynie

theonlywayisup
15-07-2022, 03:40 PM
On that day at Tynie, even through we were 2 nil down, you had a feeling that we would still get back into the game. We had leaders in that team. Across the defence, we had Gray, McGregor, Hanlon & Stevenson. In midfield, we had super John McGinn, Marvin Bartley, Dylan McGeouch (replaced by Kevin Thomson after 31 minutes) and Liam Henderson. Up front, we had Stokes and Cummings. On the bench we had Fontaine, Boyle, Keatings and Gunnarsson. Not even in the squad was Fraser Fyvie.

Individually, they were all players who took responsibility and for much of their time at Hibs gave 110%. Yes, they had poor displays individually and collectively, but they were leaders.

I look at the current team and I may be overly critical, but I'm not seeing many leaders. Yes, there are some who have leadership qualities, but they are failing to show it often enough.

Let's pray we're not two nil down at Tynie with this team. It's all well buying for the future, but we seriously need to get some 'leaders' into this team.

Stubbsy90+2
15-07-2022, 03:43 PM
A great side and as you say, full of leaders. Also full of drive, determination, a will to win and energy.

The cup winning season through to 2018 was some of the best times of watching Hibs. Loads of great players and characters.

BS44
15-07-2022, 03:44 PM
We've not kicked a ball yet so it's too early to make uninformed guesses.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2022, 03:44 PM
Yeah I can’t imagine a team so stacked with leaders ever having a bad game away to Falkirk.

H18 SFR
15-07-2022, 03:45 PM
In my opinion Marshall is a leader. At the back Stevenson, Hanlon and Porteous are leaders. McGeady with his experience will be a leader.

We don’t know how many of the new lads will be natural leaders as of year.

I honestly think we’ve got it covered in this department.

tamig
15-07-2022, 03:47 PM
Yeah I can’t imagine a team so stacked with leaders ever having a bad game away to Falkirk.

Shhhhsh!

Stuart93
15-07-2022, 03:52 PM

Haha. Aye people seem to forget we lost some pretty poor games with the same team.

Since452
15-07-2022, 03:58 PM
Christ almighty. We had a poor first half against Falkirk in mid July. Far too early to say this team has no leaders. Fwiw I thought the reaction was pretty good. Just couldn't put the ball in the net.

CapitalGreen
15-07-2022, 04:02 PM
Haha. Aye people seem to forget we lost some pretty poor games with the same team.

Yup, so much so that they earned a reputation (and nickname) amongst Scottish football for throwing away leads. I loved that team and the players in it but it’s revisionist history to suggest they didn’t have an embarrassing result in their locker.

Cat Stanton
15-07-2022, 04:02 PM
For a mad, crazy moment - when I saw the thread title - I thought this was going to be a fun, positive, thread. Oh well...

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2022, 04:22 PM
Time for new heroes

loanheadhibby
15-07-2022, 04:36 PM
A great side and as you say, full of leaders. Also full of drive, determination, a will to win and energy.

The cup winning season through to 2018 was some of the best times of watching Hibs. Loads of great players and characters.
That great side was in the second division so let's not exaggerate.

Stubbsy90+2
15-07-2022, 04:39 PM

That great side won the cup, got promoted, had a decent go at Europe, went 9 unbeaten against Hearts, had a habit of beating the Old Firm and then got our records point total playing scintillating football. They had one of the greatest players Hibs have seen in the last 50 years or so in John McGinn.

The squad was probably the most likeable I’ve ever seen at Hibs as well.

As far as Hibs teams go, they were pretty great imo.

SaulGoodman
15-07-2022, 04:42 PM

I’ve seen it all on this site now

WeeRussell
15-07-2022, 04:43 PM
I’ve seen it all on this site now

If only

tamig
15-07-2022, 06:56 PM

You’re always a ray of sunshine. Sad.

Jones28
15-07-2022, 07:00 PM
Did anyone think we’d come back at half time? I ****ing well didn’t. As far as I was concerned it was same old story, Hibs’d it, etc etc.

Delighted we did but had no confidence we would at half time.

loanheadhibby
15-07-2022, 07:03 PM
You’re always a ray of sunshine. Sad.

Look we're all Hibbies on the site but surely you don't mind if I bring a touch of realism to the conversation.
Do you really want me to come on here and tell you how good Newell JDH and Campbell are.
Or on this thread tell you how great the team of 2016 was.
Fantastic to win the cup but the week before we couldn't beat Falkirk over two legs.
All the positive opinions on here didn't go us much good last season did it?
Fingers crossed for a much improved season.

Since452
15-07-2022, 07:16 PM
Look we're all Hibbies on the site but surely you don't mind if I bring a touch of realism to the conversation.
Do you really want me to come on here and tell you how good Newell JDH and Campbell are.
Or on this thread tell you how great the team of 2016 was.
Fantastic to win the cup but the week before we couldn't beat Falkirk over two legs.
All the positive opinions on here didn't go us much good last season did it?
Fingers crossed for a much improved season.

I do agree to an extent. That team had some horific results but it just shows that you shouldn't read too much in to early season defeats. Who would have said that team was full of leaders when Rangers we're destroying us 6-2 at Easter Road in July?

Bostonhibby
15-07-2022, 07:24 PM
No charities were robbed in the build up to that result.

Lest we forget.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Fergus52
15-07-2022, 08:05 PM
That great side won the cup, got promoted, had a decent go at Europe, went 9 unbeaten against Hearts, had a habit of beating the Old Firm and then got our records point total playing scintillating football. They had one of the greatest players Hibs have seen in the last 50 years or so in John McGinn.

The squad was probably the most likeable I’ve ever seen at Hibs as well.

As far as Hibs teams go, they were pretty great imo.

The squad the second half of the 17/18 season was completely different from the side that was 2-0 down at tynie.

Mcginn, Hanlon, Stevenson and McGregor are the only players in both starting XIs

B.H.F.C
15-07-2022, 09:10 PM
The squad the second half of the 17/18 season was completely different from the side that was 2-0 down at tynie.

Mcginn, Hanlon, Stevenson and McGregor are the only players in both starting XIs

McGeough as well. And Boyle was an important part of both squads. Bartley featured less in 17/18 but was another important part of both squad. We had a good core through that period which we really lack now IMO.

CL0762
15-07-2022, 10:02 PM
Did anyone think we’d come back at half time? I ****ing well didn’t. As far as I was concerned it was same old story, Hibs’d it, etc etc.

Delighted we did but had no confidence we would at half time.

Aye, weirdly I did. I mind saying to my mate at HT that there was no ****ing danger we should’ve been 2-0 down and we’d come back.

Had a feeling from the minute McGregor scored against Raith it was going to be our year.

15-07-2022, 10:40 PM
On that day at Tynie, even through we were 2 nil down, you had a feeling that we would still get back into the game. We had leaders in that team. Across the defence, we had Gray, McGregor, Hanlon & Stevenson. In midfield, we had super John McGinn, Marvin Bartley, Dylan McGeouch (replaced by Kevin Thomson after 31 minutes) and Liam Henderson. Up front, we had Stokes and Cummings. On the bench we had Fontaine, Boyle, Keatings and Gunnarsson. Not even in the squad was Fraser Fyvie.

Individually, they were all players who took responsibility and for much of their time at Hibs gave 110%. Yes, they had poor displays individually and collectively, but they were leaders.

I look at the current team and I may be overly critical, but I'm not seeing many leaders. Yes, there are some who have leadership qualities, but they are failing to show it often enough.

Let's pray we're not two nil down at Tynie with this team. It's all well buying for the future, but we seriously need to get some 'leaders' into this team.

I'm all for reminiscing about the 2016 cup run but this is just a different way to have a go about us losing to Falkirk in a poor attempt to justify why it deserves a new thread. There are plenty of other threads for this criticism.

You are criticising the current team for failing to show leadership qualities often enough after 2 competitive games so yes, you are being overly critical.

Diclonius
15-07-2022, 11:39 PM
Good thing Stubbs never lost to Falkirk in one of his first games as Hibs manager or half of us on here would have wanted him out.

Oh wait

IFONLY
16-07-2022, 04:10 PM
If only

What ??

Arch Stanton
16-07-2022, 04:20 PM

On hibs.net it's never too early to make uninformed guesses!

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2022, 04:29 PM
A great side

Who lost multiple big games to Falkirk. It happens. None of them were leaders when they joined us. Others will develop into that role here.

Unseen work
16-07-2022, 04:41 PM
The funny thing is that out of those mentioned how many of them would have been considered leaders when we first signed them? Not many at all and would probably have fell into the boy and category.

Cummings, Henderson’s Boyle, Keatings, McGeough and stokes would have fell into that whilst Fontaine, Bartley, Gray and gunarsson were unknown or signed from low leagues in England.

It was a young team and alot of unknown players.

Youan, Tavares, Bojang, Kenneh, Marshall, McGeady, Miller and Cabraja could easily turn out to be those players along with the ones that were here last season.

What I like is how many seem to have a bit about them and are desperate to impress and make a name for themselves, I think alot of them will have a fair amount of swagger which suits us normally.

Too many unknown quantities right now to write off our season or say we’re lacking characters although I think we still need some more signings.

theonlywayisup
21-07-2022, 05:57 AM

Christ almighty. We had a poor first half against Falkirk in mid July. Far too early to say this team has no leaders. Fwiw I thought the reaction was pretty good. Just couldn't put the ball in the net.

Yup, so much so that they earned a reputation (and nickname) amongst Scottish football for throwing away leads. I loved that team and the players in it but it’s revisionist history to suggest they didn’t have an embarrassing result in their locker.

I'm all for reminiscing about the 2016 cup run but this is just a different way to have a go about us losing to Falkirk in a poor attempt to justify why it deserves a new thread. There are plenty of other threads for this criticism.

You are criticising the current team for failing to show leadership qualities often enough after 2 competitive games so yes, you are being overly critical.

The funny thing is that out of those mentioned how many of them would have been considered leaders when we first signed them? Not many at all and would probably have fell into the boy and category.

Cummings, Henderson’s Boyle, Keatings, McGeough and stokes would have fell into that whilst Fontaine, Bartley, Gray and gunarsson were unknown or signed from low leagues in England.

Youan, Tavares, Bojang, Kenneh, Marshall, McGeady, Miller and Cabraja could easily turn out to be those players along with the ones that were here last season.

What I like is how many seem to have a bit about them and are desperate to impress and make a name for themselves, I think alot of them will have a fair amount of swagger which suits us normally.

Too many unknown quantities right now to write off our season or say we’re lacking characters although I think we still need some more signings.

If someone honestly believes that we've leaders at our football team, then they are seeing something different from me.

Yes, the aforementioned team had some bad losses, but the point is "when two down at Tynie" they had the individual and collective ability to take control of the situation and turn it around.

Yes, leadership qualities can be developed, but I don't want to wait 2-3 seasons before I see it in the team I support, I want to see it now. For a few seasons now, it's been abundantly clear that we need something better in central midfield and at central defence. We need players who are leaders today and not some kid we pluck from Benfica B team or someone who's never played a senior game until they moved to the Hibernian experiment.

theonlywayisup
03-01-2023, 04:41 PM

In my opinion Marshall is a leader. At the back Stevenson, Hanlon and Porteous are leaders. McGeady with his experience will be a leader.

We don’t know how many of the new lads will be natural leaders as of year.

I honestly think we’ve got it covered in this department.

Still too soon to make a judgement?

SaulGoodman
03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
What’s the point in bumping a thread from July. Is there not enough threads on the go to make your point?

theonlywayisup
03-01-2023, 04:59 PM
What’s the point in bumping a thread from July. Is there not enough threads on the go to make your point?

To point out that it's been pretty obvious since the start of the season (in fact for most of last season) that we needed to get some winners into our team. I leave ER after a bad result and that's what most are saying to me - we've no leaders.

If that's so obvious to many, why haven't our recruitment team addressed it.

hibeerealist
03-01-2023, 05:13 PM
I suspect some posters may well take a sharp intake of breath reading their posts given where we are now!!