PDA

View Full Version : Tonight’s Zoom chat with LJ and BK

cabbage91
13-07-2022, 06:42 PM
Great zoom chat asking to Renew if you can, was all going well untill someone said the midfield 3 last night arnt good enough and it was the same last season (in a roundabout way) can we see a new midfielder coming in- answers was no 😭 he even said the midfielders will get better! It baffles me how 3 managers can pick those 3, 2 have lost there job because off it, the 3rd is going the same way!
if that 3 are playing every week he will be sacked by October because we will be rock bottom! How can they not see they are brutal and the weak link?

SaulGoodman
13-07-2022, 06:43 PM
Worrying, they’re not going to get better. If anything they’re getting worse.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 06:45 PM
They won't be the first choice 3, and we'll be nowhere near rock bottom.

****ing chronic how desperate folk are for our new manager and our players to fail.

JimBHibees
13-07-2022, 06:46 PM
Worrying, they’re not going to get better. If anything they’re getting worse.

They aren't really going to highlight to other teams which area they are looking at especially if trying to sell or buy in players.

JimBHibees
13-07-2022, 06:46 PM

****ing chronic how desperate folk are for our new manager and our players to fail.

Tend to agree

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2022, 06:47 PM

I'd be surprised if anyone (of a Hibs persuasion) was desperate for that to come to fruition, nonsense talk.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 06:47 PM
I'd be surprised if anyone was desperate for that to come to fruition, nonsense talk.

Read the OP again. Tell me he isn't absolutely choking for us to fail.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2022, 06:49 PM

What's wrong about his concerns? October might be a tad early granted.

JammyDoidger
13-07-2022, 06:49 PM
If the answer is no, then who are we actually going to spend any significant amount of money on..this isn't good enough after the season we've just had, if we don't sign a proper centre midfielder it's nothing short of a disgrace.

truehibernian
13-07-2022, 06:56 PM
They aren't really going to highlight to other teams which area they are looking at especially if trying to sell or buy in players.

That's very true Jim, I would hope they are actively looking to bolster the midfield with some creativity, as well as moving a couple on.

That game last night wasn't just a bad day at the office I'm afraid, it was a continuation of playing some very poor players in a poor formation. It'll take LJ a few windows, but I'm really looking for him to get that midfield sorted in the next couple and the majority of them moved on in those windows. They're not offering anything, rather, they are good at failing when it matters. We need much much better in that area.

Gloucester Hibs
13-07-2022, 06:58 PM
Was me who asked the question. I thought LJ answered it well albeit maybe not the reply we were all hoping for. Thought he could’ve been trying to throw us off the scent maybe? He did say he himself was a midfielder and he would be able to identify weaknesses quickly and rectify them (paraphrasing a bit there).

Stuart93
13-07-2022, 06:59 PM

For me he’s highlighting how poor that midfield are/were last night and for LJ to say they’ll get better is ridiculous tbh. They aren’t going to get better, they just simply don’t work together.

2 other managers tried the same combination and both were sacked. To try it again would be utter madness

CapitalGreen
13-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Was me who asked the question. I thought LJ answered it well albeit maybe not the reply we were all hoping for. Thought he could’ve been trying to throw us off the scent maybe? He did say he himself was a midfielder and he would be able to identify weaknesses quickly and rectify them (paraphrasing a bit there).

You can maybe confirm whether this is the case or not but to me the way the question was presented in OP reads like you were asking if LJ had any plans to replace/upgrade Newell, JDH and/or Campbell.

I’d be very surprised if any manager would confirm in a fans forum that they were actively looking to replace/upgrade a current player. I wonder if it was asked in a different way, without mention of the current 3 players it would have elicited a different answer. A simple, “is there any plans to further strengthen the midfield?”, for example.

LunasBoots
13-07-2022, 07:19 PM
We needed a upgrade in midfield last summer, then in January and still need it now, these players have had there chance, it doesn't work.

Gloucester Hibs
13-07-2022, 07:22 PM
You can maybe confirm whether this is the case or not but to me the way the question was presented in OP reads like you were asking if LJ had any plans to replace/upgrade Newell, JDH and/or Campbell.

I’d be very surprised if any manager would confirm in a fans forum that they were actively looking to replace/upgrade a current player. I wonder if it was asked in a different way, without mention of the current 3 players it would have elicited a different answer. A simple, “is there any plans to further strengthen the midfield?”, for example.

I asked if their were plans to bring in an experienced midfielder as midfield was a major issue for us last season and many of those involved remain and played last night.

04Sauzee
13-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Rock bottom?
Wonder if I can get a refund on our season tickets.

Since452
13-07-2022, 07:25 PM
The hysteria after last night is unreal. We were 5-0 up at half time on Saturday. Let's see how Sunday goes.

AlbertK86
13-07-2022, 07:26 PM

Well said mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itslegaltender
13-07-2022, 07:32 PM
Whats the latest on when Magennis will be back? that will feel like a new midfielder.

LunasBoots

But why wouldn't people ask the questions of a midfield that failed all last season and cost the two previous managers there job?

Steve20
The midfield is soft and doesn’t create anything. It’s clear we need more than one signing in there.

Unseen work
13-07-2022, 07:34 PM
I think Kenneh and Henderson will start as part of the midfield 3, based on form I think JDH will join them in the 3.

Magennis still go come back.

Newell, Campbell, Tait, Delferriere all capable of playing in the 3.

I still think we could do with more quality, especially breaking down teams and because we can’t rely on Magennis but it’s nowhere near as some make out.

Onion
13-07-2022, 07:38 PM
We needed a upgrade in midfield last summer, then in January and still need it now, these players have had there chance, it doesn't work.

Last season was a horrific in the main due to the ineffective midfield - can't defend, tackle, create or score. Hibs get ton of money for Doig but no plans to change midfield, and they wonder why some have chosen not to renew their ST :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
13-07-2022, 07:39 PM
That's very true Jim, I would hope they are actively looking to bolster the midfield with some creativity, as well as moving a couple on.

That game last night wasn't just a bad day at the office I'm afraid, it was a continuation of playing some very poor players in a poor formation. It'll take LJ a few windows, but I'm really looking for him to get that midfield sorted in the next couple and the majority of them moved on in those windows. They're not offering anything, rather, they are good at failing when it matters. We need much much better in that area.

Agree think we will move on Newell and Campbell in this window and bring another in. Would like to see Kenneh JDH and Henderson given a chance depends on shape but possibly Cadden could play right of a three also. The JDH Newell combo is the main issue imo don't play well together poor movement hold onto the ball too long and play too safe. Also play too close together imo and too square of each other. Give Kenneh a run of games imo need his physicality.

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 07:41 PM
But why wouldn't people ask the questions of a midfield that failed all last season and cost the two previous managers there job?

Pretty sure the defence and the forwards had a fair say in the outcome aswell not just the midfield

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 07:42 PM
The midfield is soft and doesn’t create anything. It’s clear we need more than one signing in there.

Yet they created 5 last wkend and plenty in the second half yesterday. We have players there who can create and will, maybe just not the combination we seen last night.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 07:44 PM
The hysteria after last night is unreal. We were 5-0 up at half time on Saturday. Let's see how Sunday goes.

Losing to League One Falkirk tells us a hell of a lot more about our team than winning 5-0 against League One Clyde does.

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Losing to League One Falkirk tells us a hell of a lot more about our team than winning 5-0 against League One Clyde does.

What does it tell us?

Libby Hibby
13-07-2022, 07:48 PM

I’m not sure it does to be honest.

JimBHibees
13-07-2022, 07:48 PM

Yep no way is he going to publically slate a player or players and why would he. Some need to really calm down and let him do his job. There is about 6 weeks of the transfer window left.

Alfred E Newman
13-07-2022, 07:51 PM
Great zoom chat asking to Renew if you can, was all going well untill someone said the midfield 3 last night arnt good enough and it was the same last season (in a roundabout way) can we see a new midfielder coming in- answers was no 😭 he even said the midfielders will get better! It baffles me how 3 managers can pick those 3, 2 have lost there job because off it, the 3rd is going the same way!
if that 3 are playing every week he will be sacked by October because we will be rock bottom! How can they not see they are brutal and the weak link?

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 07:52 PM
What does it tell us?

That our midfield that was absolute abysmal last season is still abysmal. That we’re still a long way off being the team we want to be

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 07:55 PM
That our midfield that was absolute abysmal last season is still abysmal. That we’re still a long way off being the team we want to be

But another combination midfield done well the game before? That tells us those were better than other ones last night and maybe a better combo? The manager is leading and seeing which combos work best, he’s been in the door 2mins so was always going to be the case imo

CallumLaidlaw
13-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Anything else interesting from the call?

B.H.F.C
13-07-2022, 07:58 PM

No, I don’t think it does.

It’s just that a lot of people think that if we stick with what we have in that area of the pitch we will fail.

Big difference between thinking something and wanting something.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 08:02 PM

Shaun Maloney was absolutely hopeless. Our midfield didn't cost him his job.

Ross hit an awful run of form, due to a lot of injuries and bad form of key players.

The idea that the midfield are responsible is just rubbish. They haven't failed any more or less than anyone else.

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 08:04 PM

Ross hit an awful run of form, due to a lot of injuries and bad form of key players.

The idea that the midfield are responsible is just rubbish. They haven't failed any more or less than anyone else.

Spot on

marinello59
13-07-2022, 08:05 PM

:agree:

Mcbizz1998
13-07-2022, 08:08 PM
Pretty worrying. I went last night and thought we were chronic. Only real hope is that Magennis can get and then stay fit but there is nothing to suggest he can do that.

Campbell is the one I really worry about as the weak link. He simply isn’t good enough.

Lago
13-07-2022, 08:08 PM

It's really beginning to get on my tits, so much so I've not been coming on the site much at all, getting more like twitter.

Gloucester Hibs
13-07-2022, 08:09 PM
Anything else interesting from the call?

LJ went into a bit of detail on the recruitment process, confirmed he has final say on all transfers. Some general stuff from BK emphasising the importance of the ST holder, talking about improving the match day experience further. LJ spoke very highly of Melkerson, said he was even better than he had expected.

Thought it was good and both guys spoke really well. FWIW I did word my question pretty badly, it was a bit loaded and didn’t give LJ much scope to answer yes.

Brightside
13-07-2022, 08:09 PM

He didn’t say that would be the general starting 3.

hibsforeurope
13-07-2022, 08:14 PM
What was the purpose of the zoom call, who was it aimed at?

CapitalGreen
13-07-2022, 08:16 PM

That’s explained in the first sentence of the first post. it was for season ticket holders who haven’t renewed.

SteveHFC
13-07-2022, 08:18 PM
i think it was for folk who have not renewed ST, my dad got invited but his mind is already made up :no way:

hibsforeurope
13-07-2022, 08:19 PM
That’s explained in the first sentence of the first post. it was for season ticket holders who haven’t renewed.

i think it was for folk who have not renewed ST, my dad got invited but his mind is already made up :no way:

Thanks, hopefully it’s convinced a few to renew.

Hibernian Verse
13-07-2022, 08:26 PM
Great initiative. Did it say on the screen how many were on it?

Gloucester Hibs
13-07-2022, 08:33 PM
Great initiative. Did it say on the screen how many were on it?

I think the host said at the end, 38 maybe? I’m going to look into renewing tomorrow - hadn’t planned to as missed over half the games last season due to work commitments.

GreenCastle
13-07-2022, 09:33 PM
I keep hearing about the different midfield combinations.

Currently centrally we have (don’t think I’ve missed anyone centrally?)

Kenneh
JDH
Campbell
Newell
Tait
Henderson
Magennis- injured

So 3 from 6 currently really doesn’t give us many options at all.

We 100% need to add x2 new central midfielders minimum - at worst x1.

If we don’t then it’s a huge mistake.

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 09:36 PM

Kenneh
JDH
Campbell
Newell
Tait
Henderson
Magennis- injured

Tbf any 3 from 6 would give you up to 20 combinations #maths #apologies

GreenCastle
13-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Tbf any 3 from 6 would give you up to 20 combinations #maths #apologies

What would the top 3 combinations be ?

My worry there isn’t even a standout 1st pick each time you try to decide best combination.

The Modfather
13-07-2022, 09:59 PM
What would the top 3 combinations be ?

My worry there isn’t even a standout 1st pick each time you try to decide best combination.

Maybe we’re as well taking a play from the Jack Ross playbook and going 442. Sacrifice the midfield, which we do anyway, for gains elsewhere.

brianmc
13-07-2022, 10:03 PM
Gonna throw a MENTAL suggestion into the discussion pot here: Maybe LJ thinks he can coach (some of) the players currently at the Club to become better??

Bizarrely, this seems like an option that's being completely overlooked by most on here.

One Day Soon
13-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Our midfield has been over staffed and under powered for a long time. For a while we had too many similar types of midfielders and more recently we have had more variety but almost uniformly of a poor standard.

I sincerely hope that LJ was diplomatically lying through his teeth about no new signings there because if he wasn't it is going to be ugly.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Gonna throw a MENTAL suggestion into the discussion pot here: Maybe LJ thinks he can coach (some of) the players currently at the Club to become better??

Bizarrely, this seems like an option that's being completely overlooked by most on here.

Guardiola should try that, would save Man City a fortune.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 10:13 PM

It’s not being discussed all that much because nobody thinks it is going to happen.

Newell has no natural attacking instinct. He’s 29. He’s not going to suddenly develop it. He’ll continue to do what he’s done for his 3 seasons at Hibs and keep trying to play the easiest, simplest pass he can find at all times.

Campbell is nowhere near good enough. We’re not talking about small improvements needed from him, we’re looking at Johnson being able to work wonders to make him the required standard.

If LJ wants to go with this bunch of centre midfielders because he thinks he can make it work then he’ll fail here imo.

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 10:14 PM

Kenneh
JDH
Campbell
Newell
Tait
Henderson
Magennis- injured

Maybe just maybe we will only play 2 of these and make up the formation with McGeady, melkerson, ele, Bojang, Tavares, Mitchell etc. I think this is plausable and have Nisbet, doidge, ele, Bojang up with 3 in behind. Time will tell

heid the baw
13-07-2022, 10:52 PM
I got an invite for tonight but didn't join the call. Work commitments cause me to miss games and although season ticket is a fine hassle free way of catching games, I can't justify the outlay due to rising costs everywhere else. I will miss my season ticket, but will still attend when I can.
The owners are keen to engage with the fanbase and that's to be applauded.

Brightside
14-07-2022, 09:56 AM

Kenneh
JDH
Campbell
Newell
Tait
Henderson
Magennis- injured

I want another CM - but we clearly have loads of options based on your post. You've also missed Delf out, and McGeady who can play no10.

jacomo
14-07-2022, 11:25 AM
Maybe just maybe we will only play 2 of these and make up the formation with McGeady, melkerson, ele, Bojang, Tavares, Mitchell etc. I think this is plausable and have Nisbet, doidge, ele, Bojang up with 3 in behind. Time will tell

Agreed, I thought it would be more likely that McGeady would play no.10 behind the striker.

If Delfierre is ready for the first team then we need to know! With Magennis not back currently we are relying on Kenneh to be the change our central midfield desperately needs.

Eyrie
14-07-2022, 05:27 PM

Doyle-Hayes looked more positive at the weekend than we saw under Ross or Maloney, so it's possible.

On the other hand, Newell didn't look to have got the message about playing at pace because on Tuesday he was still wanting to take his time on the ball.

JohnM1875
14-07-2022, 05:36 PM
Doyle-Hayes looked more positive at the weekend than we saw under Ross or Maloney, so it's possible.

On the other hand, Newell didn't look to have got the message about playing at pace because on Tuesday he was still wanting to take his time on the ball.

Definitely agree.

Newell is my favourite of the three and I think he's the best footballer, but I actually think he's the worst right now for the way LJ wants us play.

Hibiza
14-07-2022, 05:58 PM
if that 3 are playing every week he will be sacked by October because we will be rock bottom! How can they not see they are brutal and the weak link? Worrying

Tyler Durden
14-07-2022, 06:15 PM
It’s not being discussed all that much because nobody thinks it is going to happen.

Newell has no natural attacking instinct. He’s 29. He’s not going to suddenly develop it. He’ll continue to do what he’s done for his 3 seasons at Hibs and keep trying to play the easiest, simplest pass he can find at all times.

Campbell is nowhere near good enough. We’re not talking about small improvements needed from him, we’re looking at Johnson being able to work wonders to make him the required standard.

If LJ wants to go with this bunch of centre midfielders because he thinks he can make it work then he’ll fail here imo.

While they are here, it’s literally Lee Johnson’s job to improve them.

He’s not blind or stupid. He will know that we need better players or performances in central midfield. He cannot come out and slate individual players. Managers can’t give their honest opinion.

The fans need to accept that it might take a window or two to get rid of some of these players and get better options in. Albeit we’re in mid July FFS.

All this “if Johnson thinks he’ll succeed with these 3” chat is rank stupidity.

Stubbsy90+2
14-07-2022, 06:56 PM

He’s not blind or stupid. He will know that we need better players or performances in central midfield. He cannot come out and slate individual players. Managers can’t give their honest opinion.

The fans need to accept that it might take a window or two to get rid of some of these players and get better options in. Albeit we’re in mid July FFS.

Of course it is. I don’t see any improvement in Newell or Campbell that’s going to get them to the level required though. You’re asking Joe Newell to become a completely different player at 29 year old and Campbell is miles off it.

JDH there’s maybe a chance.

It doesn’t matter what month we’re in surely if he’s come out and said we won’t be signing a centre mid? We could be the first or last day of the window. If the manager says we’re not signing a centre mid then the discussion will turn to the players we have and their ability.

HendoDelivered
14-07-2022, 07:08 PM

:agree:

JimBHibees
14-07-2022, 08:01 PM

Great point

HendoDelivered
14-07-2022, 08:20 PM
Anywhere this can be watched?

worcesterhibby
14-07-2022, 08:35 PM
With the new left back coming in, I’d be putting Stevenson in midfield ahead of Newell and Campbell. I’ve written this on all 27 threads that are currently slagging off our midfield in the hope that LJ is registered on here. :greengrin