PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Falkirk 12 07 22)

Jonnyboy
12-07-2022, 09:57 PM
I expected some changes to last Saturday’s starting eleven, but I didn’t think it would be as many as six. I know Lee Johnson wanted to see the six showing him they’re ready and able to play his pressing game, but the truth is that the wholesale changes didn’t really work, and the first 45 minutes was a shambles. Falkirk did to us what Johnson wanted us to do to them and we just couldn’t cope. The pitch didn’t help but that’s no excuse really. It’ll be lessons learned for the manager and I have to say I learned a few things myself.

From the off, Falkirk were up and at us and hunting the ball down whilst our guys failed to gain any meaningful possession. Our centre backs looked jittery and Dabrowski just couldn’t cope with the ball at his feet. Both he and Bushiri struggled in that regard and were being caught flat footed. Inside the first ten minutes, Callum Morrison and Nesbitt both found space to get a shot away but neither could hit the target. Next, McGuffie caused Dabrowski to have to save low to his left whilst Hibs’ first sight of goal came when Newell and Stevenson combined to feed McGeady, but the shot was badly hit and rolled wide of the target.

Hibs enjoyed a short spell of possession around that time and next to have a go was Lewis Stevenson, but his right footed effort was sliced well wide of goal. Little had been seen of Hauge and Doidge who were basically starved of any chance to bear down on goal. A silly foul by Doyle-Hayes on Callum Morrison allowed the Falkirk man to take a quick free kick, finding the impressive Leon McCann wide on the left. Miller failed to cut out the cross and both Bushiri and McClelland were missing in action as Aiden Nesbit glanced a header beyond Dabrowski. The Hibs keeper was caught flat footed and clearly hadn’t learned his lesson from minutes before the goal when he made a hash of trying to clear the ball with his feet, allowing a Falkirk player a clear shot at a gaping goal which he somehow contrived to miss.

It could easily have been 2-0 before the interval but Callum Morrison was adjudged to be offside which was just as well because Bushiri and Dabrowski contrived to make a total hash of clearing the danger.

I expected a raft of substitutions for the second half and Hibs provided four with Miller, McGeady, Hauge and McClelland making way for Cadden, Melkersen, Henderson and Porteous. Personally, I’d have hooked Bushiri before McClelland but at least the manager was taking positive action. Within minutes, Henderson fired a shot that PJ Morrison saved in the centre of his goal. Moments later, Henderson delivered a corner that caused problems for the Falkirk defenders but somehow, they managed to clear their lines.

There was much more purpose to Hibs’ play now and Henderson again manufactured a shot at goal, but PJ Morrison stood firm. It seemed like the frame of the goal was like an extra defender for the home side as it came to their rescue more than once. A couple of bookings kept Kevin Clancy busy as first Melkersen and then Nesbitt saw yellow. Hibs were pushing forward at every opportunity, but Falkirk not only repelled them but created a couple of half chances themselves. Sloppy footwork by Porteous allowed Oliver to race away but the Hibs man caught up with him and cleared the danger.

With twenty minutes left there was a loud appeal for a penalty when a Porteous shot appeared to strike an arm. Hibs players were incensed when Clancy waved the claims away and Bushiri obviously overstepped the mark and was booked for his protest. Two minutes later, Henderson jinked past a defender and struck the ball under the diving PJ Morrison only to see Yeats clear the effort off the line. Josh Campbell was next to see yellow as he scythed McGuffie down to halt a promising Falkirk move. In a frantic couple of minutes, Hibs appealed twice for penalties, but both were turned down by Clancy. Hibs then replaced Stevenson with Kenneh as desperation set in in the hunt for an equaliser. Soon after, Kenneh fired a low cross into the box which Melkersen headed towards goal but agonisingly, the woodwork once again denied Hibs a leveller and then right at the death, Doidge was through one on one with the keeper, fired his shot low which PJ Morrison partially blocked and with the ball rolling slowly towards goal, McKay cleared it away for a corner.

It was always going to be a tricky game as despite the views of some that Falkirk are rubbish, they clearly weren’t tonight. Much food for thought for Lee Johnson who must have been thoroughly disappointed with an insipid first half display and an inability to convert at least one of the numerous chances created in the second half because for most of that half we were all over them.

The players

Dabrowski – Kev was like a rabbit caught in the headlights any time he was looking to use his feet to pass the ball. Certainly, whenever we appoint a goalkeeping coach, he’s going to have to work on that because building from the back is a must for Lee Johnson.

Miller – I thought Lewis struggled a bit against Clyde and hate to say it, but he struggled again tonight. Obviously, he’s just settling in, but he’ll find himself behind Cadden in terms of team selection if he doesn’t get himself going.

Bushiri – I often cringe when I hear players described as a bomb scare but I came close to thinking that of him tonight. Touch of an elephant when the ball is at his feet and alarmingly, he doesn’t seem able to strike a ball hard enough when passing to a team mate.

McClelland – As good as he was against Clyde, he was pretty poor tonight and his positioning for the goal was horrific.

Stevenson – I lost count of the number of times in the first half that he looked up to find a team mate and only saw Falkirk players rushing towards him.

Campbell – Josh got forward plenty but not to any great effect.

Newell – I thought he should have been hooked at half time, rather than McGeady.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake was obviously the designated sitter but when your midfield partners are missing in action that’s a tough gig to perform.

Hauge – Other than a couple of decent runs and a bucket load of effort, Runar looked as though he’s not yet ready for first team football.

Doidge – After an anonymous first half he perked up in the second and might have had a goal, but it was disallowed. Should really have buried the one at the death.

McGeady – His quick feet were not fed enough ball tonight.

Cadden – Brought more of a threat going forward than Miller had managed.

Porteous – His one ‘blip’ aside he tried his best to urge the side forward in looking to get level.

Melkersen – Busy as ever and so unlucky that his glancing header came back off a post.

Henderson – Looked to be our main threat in terms of both creating chances and having a few shots himself. Another who was unlucky to hit the frame of the goal and to see his shot cleared off the line after he’d beaten the keeper.

Kenneh – Wasn’t really on long enough to make much of an impression.

Man of the match – Not too many to highlight but I’m going for Henderson who was the best of our numerous substitutes.

Lee Johnson – I saw him in ‘discussion’ with the fourth official a time or two. He’s finding out just how poor our officials are, I guess.

Kevin Clancy – Enters the Guiness Book of Records for the most penalty claims turned down in a three minute spell.

3pm
12-07-2022, 10:09 PM
The only time I met you John was at Falkirk on the first day of the 16/17 season. A well earned win with guys like McGinn, Cummings, Holt etc.

A long way off a team like that now unfortunately.

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2022, 10:25 PM
I expected some changes to last Saturday’s starting eleven, but I didn’t think it would be as many as six. I know Lee Johnson wanted to see the six showing him they’re ready and able to play his pressing game, but the truth is that the wholesale changes didn’t really work, and the first 45 minutes was a shambles. Falkirk did to us what Johnson wanted us to do to them and we just couldn’t cope. The pitch didn’t help but that’s no excuse really. It’ll be lessons learned for the manager and I have to say I learned a few things myself.

From the off, Falkirk were up and at us and hunting the ball down whilst our guys failed to gain any meaningful possession. Our centre backs looked jittery and Dabrowski just couldn’t cope with the ball at his feet. Both he and Bushiri struggled in that regard and were being caught flat footed. Inside the first ten minutes, Callum Morrison and Nesbitt both found space to get a shot away but neither could hit the target. Next, McGuffie caused Dabrowski to have to save low to his left whilst Hibs’ first sight of goal came when Newell and Stevenson combined to feed McGeady, but the shot was badly hit and rolled wide of the target.

Hibs enjoyed a short spell of possession around that time and next to have a go was Lewis Stevenson, but his right footed effort was sliced well wide of goal. Little had been seen of Hauge and Doidge who were basically starved of any chance to bear down on goal. A silly foul by Doyle-Hayes on Callum Morrison allowed the Falkirk man to take a quick free kick, finding the impressive Leon McCann wide on the left. Miller failed to cut out the cross and both Bushiri and McClelland were missing in action as Aiden Nesbit glanced a header beyond Dabrowski. The Hibs keeper was caught flat footed and clearly hadn’t learned his lesson from minutes before the goal when he made a hash of trying to clear the ball with his feet, allowing a Falkirk player a clear shot at a gaping goal which he somehow contrived to miss.

It could easily have been 2-0 before the interval but Callum Morrison was adjudged to be offside which was just as well because Bushiri and Dabrowski contrived to make a total hash of clearing the danger.

I expected a raft of substitutions for the second half and Hibs provided four with Miller, McGeady, Hauge and McClelland making way for Cadden, Melkersen, Henderson and Porteous. Personally, I’d have hooked Bushiri before McClelland but at least the manager was taking positive action. Within minutes, Henderson fired a shot that PJ Morrison saved in the centre of his goal. Moments later, Henderson delivered a corner that caused problems for the Falkirk defenders but somehow, they managed to clear their lines.

There was much more purpose to Hibs’ play now and Henderson again manufactured a shot at goal, but PJ Morrison stood firm. It seemed like the frame of the goal was like an extra defender for the home side as it came to their rescue more than once. A couple of bookings kept Kevin Clancy busy as first Melkersen and then Nesbitt saw yellow. Hibs were pushing forward at every opportunity, but Falkirk not only repelled them but created a couple of half chances themselves. Sloppy footwork by Porteous allowed Oliver to race away but the Hibs man caught up with him and cleared the danger.

With twenty minutes left there was a loud appeal for a penalty when a Porteous shot appeared to strike an arm. Hibs players were incensed when Clancy waved the claims away and Bushiri obviously overstepped the mark and was booked for his protest. Two minutes later, Henderson jinked past a defender and struck the ball under the diving PJ Morrison only to see Yeats clear the effort off the line. Josh Campbell was next to see yellow as he scythed McGuffie down to halt a promising Falkirk move. In a frantic couple of minutes, Hibs appealed twice for penalties, but both were turned down by Clancy. Hibs then replaced Stevenson with Kenneh as desperation set in in the hunt for an equaliser. Soon after, Kenneh fired a low cross into the box which Melkersen headed towards goal but agonisingly, the woodwork once again denied Hibs a leveller and then right at the death, Doidge was through one on one with the keeper, fired his shot low which PJ Morrison partially blocked and with the ball rolling slowly towards goal, McKay cleared it away for a corner.

It was always going to be a tricky game as despite the views of some that Falkirk are rubbish, they clearly weren’t tonight. Much food for thought for Lee Johnson who must have been thoroughly disappointed with an insipid first half display and an inability to convert at least one of the numerous chances created in the second half because for most of that half we were all over them.

The players

Dabrowski – Kev was like a rabbit caught in the headlights any time he was looking to use his feet to pass the ball. Certainly, whenever we appoint a goalkeeping coach, he’s going to have to work on that because building from the back is a must for Lee Johnson.

Miller – I thought Lewis struggled a bit against Clyde and hate to say it, but he struggled again tonight. Obviously, he’s just settling in, but he’ll find himself behind Cadden in terms of team selection if he doesn’t get himself going.

Bushiri – I often cringe when I hear players described as a bomb scare but I came close to thinking that of him tonight. Touch of an elephant when the ball is at his feet and alarmingly, he doesn’t seem able to strike a ball hard enough when passing to a team mate.

McClelland – As good as he was against Clyde, he was pretty poor tonight and his positioning for the goal was horrific.

Stevenson – I lost count of the number of times in the first half that he looked up to find a team mate and only saw Falkirk players rushing towards him.

Newell – I thought he should have been hooked at half time, rather than McGeady.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake was obviously the designated sitter but when your midfield partners are missing in action that’s a tough gig to perform.

Hauge – Other than a couple of decent runs and a bucket load of effort, Runar looked as though he’s not yet ready for first team football.

Doidge – After an anonymous first half he perked up in the second and might have had a goal, but it was disallowed. Should really have buried the one at the death.

Porteous – His one ‘blip’ aside he tried his best to urge the side forward in looking to get level.

Melkersen – Busy as ever and so unlucky that his glancing header came back off a post.

Henderson – Looked to be our main threat in terms of both creating chances and having a few shots himself. Another who was unlucky to hit the frame of the goal and to see his shot cleared off the line after he’d beaten the keeper.

Man of the match – Not too many to highlight but I’m going for Henderson who was the best of our numerous substitutes.

Lee Johnson – I saw him in ‘discussion’ with the fourth official a time or two. He’s finding out just how poor our officials are, I guess.

Kevin Clancy – Enters the Guiness Book of Records for the most penalty claims turned down in a three minute spell.

Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Getting that horrible Shaun Maloney deja vu vibe already

We are only two games in but Jimmy Clitheroe really needs to sort that midfield out and sort it now before it is too late

Probably needs to use his contacts to bring in an experienced established midfield campaigner to steady the ship

I was impressed with how quick Aiden McGeady’s feet were for a 36 year old - put Fred Astaire to shame

Good work

Stuart93
12-07-2022, 10:27 PM

The players

Reckon you’ve been a bit harsh on Rocky and a let Porteous off quite a bit.

Campbell the worst player on the pitch

LewysGot2
12-07-2022, 10:36 PM

The players

Much as I saw things at the game. Dabrowski was just lost tonight. Completely all over the place. Bushiri and Miller appeared complicit in us losing the goal. Cadden is not going to have much competition if the first few games are anything to go by.

Interestingly I see a disconnect between things I’ve read from folk who watched online or on tv and how it looked and felt at the game. Not sure I can face looking online for the lowlights to see if things were so very different.

Hiber-nation
12-07-2022, 10:38 PM
Reckon you’ve been a bit harsh on Rocky and a let Porteous off quite a bit.

Campbell the worst player on the pitch

Agree, Despite not being up to the required standard, Rocky was fine in the 2nd half. Porto is no good on the left and the time when he broke away and gave an awful ball to Melkerson then had a go at him wasnt good to see.

Billy Whizz
12-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Much as I saw things at the game. Dabrowski was just lost tonight. Completely all over the place. Bushiri and Miller appeared complicit in us losing the goal. Cadden is not going to have much competition if the first few games are anything to go by.

Interestingly I see a disconnect between things I’ve read from folk who watched online or on tv and how it looked and felt at the game. Not sure I can face looking online for the lowlights to see if things were so very different.

To play Kevin with a couple of rookies in front of him was stupid. He’s young in goalkeeping terms, but he had nobody in front of him talking him through the game

B.H.F.C
12-07-2022, 10:43 PM
To play Kevin with a couple of rookies in front of him was stupid. He’s young in goalkeeping terms, but he had nobody in front of him talking him through the game

Think it needs to be the other way about, young or not. Goalie is the one who can see everything. He looked nervous with the ball at his feet as well.

Marshall needs to be in the team full time now to start trying to build some consistency and understanding.

bigwheel
12-07-2022, 10:44 PM

He also played Miller in defence first half . Falkirk defence with Mackay, McCann and Mackie had more experience than ours. It was a glaring error from
Our manager .

Ps KD isn’t comfortable enough with the ball at his feet - he shouldn’t get any starts unless he can sort that …

Billy Whizz
12-07-2022, 10:45 PM
He also played Miller in defence first half . Falkirk defence with Mackay, McCann and Mackie had more experience than ours. It was a glaring error from
Our manager .

Ps KD isn’t comfortable enough with the ball at his feet - he shouldn’t get any starts unless he can sort that …

Kevin never had been great with his feet, he’s a fantastic shot stopper

bigwheel
12-07-2022, 10:46 PM
Kevin never had been great with his feet, he’s a fantastic shot stopper

He is. But it’s not enough at first team level imo.

Billy Whizz
12-07-2022, 10:48 PM
He is. But it’s not enough at first team level imo.

It’s not if we’re building from the back

JohnM1875
12-07-2022, 10:53 PM

Miller failing to stop the cross and McClelland awful marking was at fault for the goal if you ask me. Don't think Rocky can be blamed.

Franck Stanton
12-07-2022, 11:39 PM
Miller failing to stop the cross and McClelland awful marking was at fault for the goal if you ask me. Don't think Rocky can be blamed.

Since when has the truth stopped the haters having a go at the season's scapegoat?

LewysGot2
12-07-2022, 11:45 PM
Since when has the truth stopped the haters having a go at the season's scapegoat?

Dear oh dear...

ErinGoBraghHFC
13-07-2022, 12:35 AM

Miller was rotten imo, maybe just getting used to the pace of Scottish football though. I’ll reserve judgment for now, McClelland played well but marking pish poor for the goal. Rocky can’t be blamed for the goal whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
13-07-2022, 03:44 AM
Agree with most of John’s analysis, with the exception of Rocky who, despite a couple of errors played ok I thought.

Think Miller and McLelland need to be nursed into the side to gain experience and confidence at this level.

Can’t help but think that after beating Clyde 5-0, the manager thought all first division sides would succumb as easily and tinkered with his starting 11 accordingly, .so maybe he’s learned a lesson.

Our midfield existed only on paper, during the game they were anonymous

Dazzjw1875
13-07-2022, 05:18 AM
Now I've slept on it after eventually getting home. First half was shocking and tbh far too many off days! We had no width on the right when attacking with Hauge posted missing he really shouldve been on the touchline but always wanders into the middle and never helped defend when required. CM trio no idea how any of them stayed on with JN for me poorest too slow moving the ball. Second 45 more tempo with passes but defense wise very shaky and nervous too many slack balls putting us in trouble. Melkersson made a difference very lively along with Hendo and cadden every chance coming from the right through him. Still have 8players? Missing from tonight through injury/permit issues 100% we will be fine but for me another CM/playmaker and a solid CB are a priority for us this window.

Since452
13-07-2022, 05:22 AM
Porteous looked more of a bomb scare than Rocky last night. Dabrowski showed exactly why he shouldn't be our number one. Stevenson was hopeless and constantly went backwards instead of forward. I'd be amazed and disappointed if Campbell starts for us again.

Huge wake up call for everyone last night and it may not be the worst thing in the world. Glad it happened now and not in the derby for example. Expect a massive reaction on Sunday.

PeeJay
13-07-2022, 05:43 AM
Interesting take on the game as ever.

Thought Rocky had an OK game myself, apart from one or two jittery moments - he looked good when going forward ... Henderson looked decent as did Melkersen at times, otherwise not impressed by what we offered.

We were truly awful the first half. With the subs, we then picked up in the second, but overall a pretty poor evening for us. We don't look anywhere like a "team" - unlike Falkirk, who played exactly as expected and had a clear game plan. Thought Nesbit scored a really good goal myself ...

... bit worrying when our own manager says he was bored watching us ...

h1bs4life
13-07-2022, 06:47 AM
Agree with a lot of what you say but as usual your reluctance to criticise Stevenson shines through.
Using terms like bomb scare for Rocky and horrific positioning and pretty poor for McClelland both young lads still learning the game and then your rating for Stevenson blames other players rather than admit he was very poor tonight.
The manager sent out a very inexperienced defence last night with exception of Stevenson and it showed when the league starts I would hope none would be starters .
Midfield was very poor just don’t get it with Newell get rid down south if possible the other 2 not much better.
Last 2 managers have given contract extensions to all 3 no idea why hopefully now the manager can see how bad they are .
No service to the front 3 , improved in the 2nd half , would have got more from Mcgeady in the 2nd half with better players around him.
Heard Johnson’s interview after the game saying he has learned a few things hopefully we will see a changed team , hopefully we will still qualify and look back on this game as a lesson learned

BILLYHIBS
13-07-2022, 06:59 AM
I thought McClelland appeared to slip or stumble when the cross came in but nevertheless was caught flat footed underneath the ball and out of position excellent header from Nesbit in fairness

We all know that Falkirk with John McGlynn at the helm and their team full of ex jambos hibees and journeymen would be no pushovers

Someone should have warned LJ

Lesson learned

Mike Berry
13-07-2022, 08:50 AM
Excellent as always, and right about Clancy. Apparently it's not a penalty if a defender deliberately uses his hand to put the ball out of play; who'd have thought it?

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 08:54 AM
Excellent as always, and right about Clancy. Apparently it's not a penalty if a defender deliberately uses his hand to put the ball out of play; who'd have thought it?

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Two of those pen claims looked nailed on to me …also, how Mackay got away with putting hands on Doidge twice infill view of the ref needs some explaining too…

Jones28
13-07-2022, 09:19 AM
Dear oh dear...

There's no dear oh dear about it, everyone seems to be waiting for Rocky to make a mistake so they can be right. He had a solid game by most accounts last night.

Souter96Mac
13-07-2022, 09:21 AM
I actually thought Rocky had a decent 2nd half, tried to will the team on and was alright in possession.

Ronniekirk
13-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Honest appraisal but a bit depressing .Hopefully he has learnt a few things from last night and takes action to sort it out

BoomtownHibees
13-07-2022, 09:37 AM
There's no dear oh dear about it, everyone seems to be waiting for Rocky to make a mistake so they can be right. He had a solid game by most accounts last night.

He wasn’t solid 1st half, he was all over the place. 2nd half he wasn’t really tested a great deal defensively but looked decent enough coming out with the ball and trying to get us moving forward.

Still don’t think we should be relying on him as a 1st choice CH this season

Pretty Boy
13-07-2022, 10:08 AM
I think Rocky is one of those players who is always going to have a 'moment' even when he is playing well.

I thought he was a bit slack last night, not terrible but not great and a couple of clumsy headers and misplaced passes don't help his case. Likewise on Saturday, a decent 45 minutes but there was still one incident where he tried to hook the ball back to the keeper and made a total hash of it. He recovered well but it was a situation of his own making.

I didn't much rate him last season and I'm not convinced he's a short or long term solution now. After all the stuff thrown at him I would love him to do well. I'm just not convinced it's going to happen for him at Hibs though and I still think it would be best for all parties if he was to move on.

Unseen work
13-07-2022, 10:10 AM

Come on, a solid game?

First half he was brutal. Underhitting backward headers, getting dragged all over the place and Oliver getting the better of him. Second half he almost had a disaster at the offside goal.

Second half Falkirk dropped off and we pushed further up the pitch, he hardly had to defend and had longer on the ball.

If we play him teams will target him all game, he gives you a chance.

In fairness guys like Stevenson were equally as awful, Stevenson probably worse actually.

Jones28
13-07-2022, 10:18 AM
He wasn’t solid 1st half, he was all over the place. 2nd half he wasn’t really tested a great deal defensively but looked decent enough coming out with the ball and trying to get us moving forward.

Still don’t think we should be relying on him as a 1st choice CH this season

Come on, a solid game?

First half he was brutal. Underhitting backward headers, getting dragged all over the place and Oliver getting the better of him. Second half he almost had a disaster at the offside goal.

Second half Falkirk dropped off and we pushed further up the pitch, he hardly had to defend and had longer on the ball.

If we play him teams will target him all game, he gives you a chance.

In fairness guys like Stevenson were equally as awful, Stevenson probably worse actually.

I should say I didn't see the game, only highlights. Thats why I said most accounts.

Tambo
13-07-2022, 11:49 AM
I don't think any player can hold their head up after that performance and be happy.

The first half with the lack of high press etc was brutal as we made Falkirk look like the SPL club and we looked like League 1 and it could of been more than 1.

Second half Henderson made a big difference and we should of grabbed a goal, especially at the end with Doidge 1 on 1.

Actually thought Melkersen played ok and was unlucky with a flick on goal if I remember correctly?

Not sure what kind of game Porteous was playing 😆 but JDH looked the better of the poor middle trio but Joe's hair looks good flopping about as he jogs on the pitch.

Highwayman
13-07-2022, 12:31 PM
I know hindsight is a “wonderful” thing but on reflection maybe Johnson would have been better playing last nights starting line up against Clyde and vice versa.

Surely even last nights woeful crowd could have got a positive result agains a very poor Clyde side.

As it is Falkirk have already done the heavy lifting in Group D by taking 4 points against what could be considered the first and second favourites.They look more than capable of taking full points against their remaining games against Clyde and Bonnyrigg Rose.

On the basis that Hibs finish second and have done enough to qualify for the next round where does that put them as far as seeding etc is concerned ?

Billy Whizz
13-07-2022, 12:45 PM
I know hindsight is a “wonderful” thing but on reflection maybe Johnson would have been better playing last nights starting line up against Clyde and vice versa.

Surely even last nights woeful crowd could have got a positive result agains a very poor Clyde side.

As it is Falkirk have already done the heavy lifting in Group D by taking 4 points against what could be considered the first and second favourites.They look more than capable of taking full points against their remaining games against Clyde and Bonnyrigg Rose.

On the basis that Hibs finish second and have done enough to qualify for the next round where does that put them as far as seeding etc is concerned ?

Falkirk are on 5 pts I think. I don’t think there’s a hope in hell we’ll be seeded. We need to get to 9 pts and hope that’s good enough to get into the last 16
It will become clearer after the weekends game, how many points it will take to be a qualifier

Smartie
13-07-2022, 01:28 PM
Rocky had a very good 2nd half - but still managed to have a clanger moment so bad that it would potentially cost us points most weeks. His driving forward was part of the reason we improved a great deal in the second half.

I thought he was atrocious first half though. Heavy touches, panicking under pressure, suspect defensively and deemed to have a terrible understanding with the goalkeeper and his CH partner.

If I ever see McLelland, Rocky and Dabrowski line up in the same team again then I'm off to the pub. Fortunately I don't think that's likely.

He gets my support, but I'd be surprised if Rocky's got what it takes to play regularly in a team that's good enough to finish top 6, let alone top 4.

Since452
13-07-2022, 02:10 PM
Thought Rocky looked very good bringing the ball out of defence and his passing is about. He was nowhere near our worst player last night. The mistake in the second half i blame more on Dabrowski for not coming for it.

ancient hibee
13-07-2022, 02:51 PM
The manager picked a terrible,terrible team. Using two rookie centre backs looked as if he was being contemptuous of the level of football here. I should imagine it made John McGlynn’s team talk easy.Hopefully he will realise that his preferred midfield three will only result in us spending the season at the bottom of the league. Perhaps he was sending a message to the owner that this is what the team could look like unless strengthened.

BILLYHIBS
13-07-2022, 05:52 PM
The manager picked a terrible,terrible team. Using two rookie centre backs looked as if he was being contemptuous of the level of football here. I should imagine it made John McGlynn’s team talk easy.Hopefully he will realise that his preferred midfield three will only result in us spending the season at the bottom of the league. Perhaps he was sending a message to the owner that this is what the team could look like unless strengthened.
:agree:

Team selection had ‘Shock Result’ written all over it

His contempt for the standard in Scotland reminded me of Hecky although possibly influenced by the poor standard set by Clyde FC

If he persists with the Terrible Trio in midfield he will find himself out of a job faster than you can say Scott Allan

Alfred E Newman
13-07-2022, 08:20 PM
Porteous looked more of a bomb scare than Rocky last night. Dabrowski showed exactly why he shouldn't be our number one. Stevenson was hopeless and constantly went backwards instead of forward. I'd be amazed and disappointed if Campbell starts for us again.

Huge wake up call for everyone last night and it may not be the worst thing in the world. Glad it happened now and not in the derby for example. Expect a massive reaction on Sunday.

It wasn’t really a wake up call. We’ve seen it all before.

cameronw-hfc
13-07-2022, 08:34 PM
:agree:

Team selection had ‘Shock Result’ written all over it

His contempt for the standard in Scotland reminded me of Hecky although possibly influenced by the poor standard set by Clyde FC

If he persists with the Terrible Trio in midfield he will find himself out of a job faster than you can say Scott Allan

This imaginary "contempt" LJ is supposedly showing is brutal patter. We are in the middle of pre-season having to deal with competitive games, of course we need to change the squad. What would happen if LJ just went with the strongest available squad after the Portugal game every week and we start the season and pick up injuries? The boys coming in to play will be significantly lacking fitness and match sharpness.

As much as some will point blank refuse to see the truth here as it's more fun to slate the englishman for distespecting us, it is not disrespectful to say it's pre-season. That doesn't mean the games aren't serious, it means the period of time we are currently in, is pre-season. Therefore we NEED to get every member of the squad we will be using some game time and fitness.

But aye, LJ thinks the standard is crap up here and just wanted to play the B team for a laugh and that, not because we need to get players fit or anything.

Jonnyboy
13-07-2022, 09:09 PM

I wrote TIHIF immediately after the game (unable to be there in person) but I've had 24 hours now to properly digest what I watched :aok: I agree Porto was shaky at times and retain my view that Dabrowski looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and I think Lewis had little chance to go forward when there was no midfield players looking for the ball. Even so, on reflection he was pretty poor throughout.

Agree with a lot of what you say but as usual your reluctance to criticise Stevenson shines through.
Using terms like bomb scare for Rocky and horrific positioning and pretty poor for McClelland both young lads still learning the game and then your rating for Stevenson blames other players rather than admit he was very poor tonight.
The manager sent out a very inexperienced defence last night with exception of Stevenson and it showed when the league starts I would hope none would be starters .
Midfield was very poor just don’t get it with Newell get rid down south if possible the other 2 not much better.
Last 2 managers have given contract extensions to all 3 no idea why hopefully now the manager can see how bad they are .
No service to the front 3 , improved in the 2nd half , would have got more from Mcgeady in the 2nd half with better players around him.
Heard Johnson’s interview after the game saying he has learned a few things hopefully we will see a changed team , hopefully we will still qualify and look back on this game as a lesson learned

See above for my revised view on Lewis

I actually thought Rocky had a decent 2nd half, tried to will the team on and was alright in possession.

Rocky was very poor in the first half in my opinion and only looked better in the second because Falkirk were defending in depth. Doesn't make me a Rocky hater, whatever that is (and I know it wasn't you that coined the phrase) :wink:

BILLYHIBS
13-07-2022, 09:13 PM
This imaginary "contempt" LJ is supposedly showing is brutal patter. We are in the middle of pre-season having to deal with competitive games, of course we need to change the squad. What would happen if LJ just went with the strongest available squad after the Portugal game every week and we start the season and pick up injuries? The boys coming in to play will be significantly lacking fitness and match sharpness.

As much as some will point blank refuse to see the truth here as it's more fun to slate the englishman for distespecting us, it is not disrespectful to say it's pre-season. That doesn't mean the games aren't serious, it means the period of time we are currently in, is pre-season. Therefore we NEED to get every member of the squad we will be using some game time and fitness.

But aye, LJ thinks the standard is crap up here and just wanted to play the B team for a laugh and that, not because we need to get players fit or anything.

Nothing imaginary about the result unfortunately

Besides I thought he is Scottish or half Scottish ?

What happened to winning the fight and then the game first before giving players a run after all it was a tricky cup tie and not a friendly

The only people being disrespected were Falkirk with that starting lineup giving John McGlynn all the motivation his team needed could easily have been 2 or 3 before half-time

Plenty of underage games lined up to get our young new recruits fit

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose

I will leave LJ to explain to Ron Gordon what went wrong

O'Rourke3
13-07-2022, 10:46 PM
I only saw the second half, with the sound off, so confused by the disallowed goal. Suspect it was the keeper had control but the replay would suggest this wasnt true or inconclusive from the camera angle. Second half whatever the curse is on Hibs at Falkirk is still in place. I was taken back to 15, 16 and 17 when their goal had some for of charm.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
14-07-2022, 05:41 PM

I thought Rocky was our best player. Opinions I know, but thought some were well off the pace, but Rocky wasn't 1

B.H.F.C
14-07-2022, 05:55 PM
I thought Rocky was our best player. Opinions I know, but thought some were well off the pace, but Rocky wasn't 1

Multiple times in the second half he was running past the midfield trying to take things in to his own hands (because they weren’t going to do anything). He gave everything. Still doesn’t give me any confidence defensively though.

Tyler Durden
14-07-2022, 06:08 PM
Multiple times in the second half he was running past the midfield trying to take things in to his own hands (because they weren’t going to do anything). He gave everything. Still doesn’t give me any confidence defensively though.

The reason that happens is that Falkirk we’re happy for him to have the ball. They’d mark the midfielders and let Rocky keep it.

He’s terrible defensively. Hopefully we don’t have to use him once the league games start