PDA

View Full Version : Based on how trigger-happy the club were last season, is LJ under pressure already?

He's here!
12-07-2022, 08:54 PM
OTT thread title? Perhaps, but LJ was by no means an overwhelmingly popular choice as boss among the Hibs support..

What he really needed to avoid was a dismal early result and unfortunately for him tonight's result, coupled with what was by all accounts was a performance every bit as hopeless as many of those we suffered through last season, is about as dismal as it gets.

Our hopes of League Cup progress have been thrown into doubt by a League 1 side. It's not a good look for a new Hibs manager still saddled with a stack of players you wouldn't want to rely on to dig you out of a hole - and certainly not the way to reassure an owner looking for a swift upturn in fortunes that he's made the right appointment.

mcohibs
12-07-2022, 08:57 PM
No is the answer.

Pagan Hibernia
12-07-2022, 08:58 PM
:greengrin

come off it

Mrimbetween
12-07-2022, 08:59 PM
Aye LJ will get the boot, jesus wept

SlickShoes
12-07-2022, 08:59 PM
we got dumped out the cup tonight?

Steve20
12-07-2022, 09:00 PM
No he’s not.

Tonight was a disgrace but you can’t have a manager under pressure already. Even for modern day football, that’s ridiculous.

Since452
No

jeffers
He should be for picking that midfield. Then giving it the whole game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-07-2022, 09:01 PM
Lol

Johnny_Leith
12-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Not by the club, no, and rightly so.

But there was a good post on this board under Jack Ross' time which rung true. Managers are only ever going to get a few poor results before the fans start to turn. This is a blemish already imo, hopefully a bit of a reality check/kick up the arse. I don't think the result was a fair reflection of the game but that's football but if it leads to us being dumped out the league cup in the group stages you can bet things will get pretty toxic pretty quickly.

Callum_62
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

100 percent..if he's not sacked within the next 10 days I'd be amazed

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
we got dumped out the cup tonight?

Well Falkirk are now favourites to win the group surely.

Ray Donovan
12-07-2022, 09:04 PM
Definitely not.

Although his team selection, the first half performance and result have certainly dampened my renewed optimism slightly.

flash
12-07-2022, 09:04 PM
Well Falkirk are now favourites to win the group surely.

If we win our next two we will go through.

Jim44
12-07-2022, 09:08 PM
OTT thread title? Perhaps, but LJ was by no means an overwhelmingly popular choice as boss among the Hibs support..

What he really needed to avoid was a dismal early result and unfortunately for him tonight's result, coupled with what was by all accounts was a performance every bit as hopeless as many of those we suffered through last season, is about as dismal as it gets.

Effectively dumped out the League Cup by a League 1 side. It's not a good look for a new Hibs manager still saddled with a stack of players you wouldn't want to rely on to dig you out of a hole - and certainly not the way to reassure an owner looking for a swift upturn in fortunes that he's made the right appointment.

Despite all the ‘no’ replies, and I agree there won’t be any rash knee-jerk reactions from RG, but of-course LJ has a mountain to climb to regain the massive loss of confidence he’s been landed with after that fiasco.

Broxburn Greens
12-07-2022, 09:09 PM
No, it’s one game, a dreadful result but not one that puts him under pressure. These things happen in football.

ancient hibee
12-07-2022, 09:10 PM
If we win our next two we will go through.

No if Falkirk win their next two games they will win the group.

Iain G
12-07-2022, 09:10 PM
****ing no!! Ffs this place is going mad...

loanheadhibby
12-07-2022, 09:12 PM
Probably no but not done himself any favours tonight. Even if we get a runners up spot, guaranteed we’ll end up away to Celtic/Huns.

look what happened to ****bos in last year’s league cup.

SChibs
12-07-2022, 09:31 PM
No if Falkirk win their next two games they will win the group.

And hibs would go through as one if the best 2nd place teams

Carheenlea
12-07-2022, 09:36 PM
I think I the point the OP is making that with Gordon/Kensell & managers you can rule anything out.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2022, 09:39 PM
And hibs would go through as one if the best 2nd place teams

We probably would but that's far from guaranteed.

Diclonius
Let's just sack every manager after their first defeat to keep the fans happy.

Stuart93
🤣🤣🤣 ffs.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2022, 09:41 PM
He's not under pressure yet but based on how the club acted in removing Ross and Maloney, if we end up not qualifying from this group and then start poorly in the league then he will undoubtedly find himself under pressure quite quickly.

Make no mistake tonight's result and first half performance was completely unacceptable.

JimBHibees
12-07-2022, 09:42 PM

Effectively dumped out the League Cup by a League 1 side. It's not a good look for a new Hibs manager still saddled with a stack of players you wouldn't want to rely on to dig you out of a hole - and certainly not the way to reassure an owner looking for a swift upturn in fortunes that he's made the right appointment.

Ffs

judas
12-07-2022, 09:46 PM

Have you been drinking anti freeze?

Franck Stanton
12-07-2022, 09:46 PM
My god. After one defeat, ONE!!!

Talk about over reacting. Calm down ffs

GreenCastle
12-07-2022, 09:54 PM
Next 4 games..Not included Norwich as that is a friendly.

Bonnyrigg
Morton
St J
Hearts

HendoDelivered
12-07-2022, 09:54 PM
Delete thread

stoneyburn hibs
12-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Ffs ridiculous.

Mike Berry
12-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Well, I know we all tend to get a bit emotional after a result like that, but this is a bit silly. I'm home now with a beer in front of me and I've calmed down.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

chrisski33
12-07-2022, 10:04 PM
We arent out the cup ffs

NC1875
12-07-2022, 10:05 PM
🤣🤣🤣🤣

MKHIBEE
12-07-2022, 10:10 PM
Unbelievable, until you remember it’s Hibs.net then it’s no surprise to
see such nonsense written

yonder1875
12-07-2022, 10:24 PM
Get this to ****.

He's here!
12-07-2022, 10:30 PM
Next 4 games..Not included Norwich as that is a friendly.

Bonnyrigg
Morton
St J
Hearts

That Hearts game has an ominously early look to it. If we stutter against St J the fear factor going into the derby will be significant. Lose it and, well, let's just say LJ may not last the first quarter.

Can only hope my ultra pessimistic take on things proves wildly off the mark but after such a pathetic result tonight you realise the scars of last season are still very much there.

Mcbizz1998
12-07-2022, 10:31 PM
That Hearts game has an ominously early look to it. If we stutter against St J the fear factor going into the derby will be significant. Lose it and, well, let's just say LJ may not last the first quarter.

Can only hope my ultra pessimistic take on things proves wildly off the mark but after such a pathetic result tonight you realise the scars of last season are still very much there.

Yeah it is a lot earlier than I would like it. St J are crap though and we tend to win on the opening weekend. We could just as easily be going in to the derby on the back of 3 wins and with all our signings available.

Beat that mob and he is off to a flyer.

He's here!
12-07-2022, 10:32 PM
We arent out the cup ffs

Yes, hands up to a mistake there. I thought only group winners went through.

We're almost certainly relying on a best runner-up spot though.

LaMotta
12-07-2022, 10:40 PM

Our hopes of League Cup progress have been thrown into doubt by a League 1 side. It's not a good look for a new Hibs manager still saddled with a stack of players you wouldn't want to rely on to dig you out of a hole - and certainly not the way to reassure an owner looking for a swift upturn in fortunes that he's made the right appointment.

No idea why you are getting so much stick for this. It's an absolutely shocking result and of course it adds pressure to the manager and increased scrutiny for the next few games.

It may end up being a result that is forgotten about, lets hope so - but its a dreadful start. The fact that Josh Campbell is still a key part of the squad is terrifying.

CB Hibs 68
12-07-2022, 10:41 PM
Yes, hands up to a mistake there. I thought only group winners went through.

We're almost certainly relying on a best runner-up spot though.

How many runners up qualify?If we do get through on that basis we want be seeded so tonight’s loss could be really detrimental.This wasn’t a pre season frienldly it was a competitive match .LJ shouldn’t have been experimenting.As soon as I saw the midfield I thought here we go and not in a good way

Sir David Gray
12-07-2022, 10:44 PM
How many runners up qualify?If we do get through on that basis we want be seeded so tonight’s loss could be really detrimental.This wasn’t a pre season frienldly it was a competitive match .LJ shouldn’t have been experimenting.As soon as I saw the midfield I thought here we go and not in a good way

3 runners up qualify.

We almost certainly won't be seeded even if we win the group.

Ozyhibby
12-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Delete thread

Has a thread ever been deleted just because you didn’t like it?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JammyDoidger
13-07-2022, 12:18 AM
Is this a joke? Delete this post ffs. He's learned a massive lesson tonight.

Baader
13-07-2022, 12:28 AM
No. Ridiculous question. A bad night and he shouldn't and hopefully won't go with that midfield again.

Hibernia&Alba
13-07-2022, 12:38 AM
Of course he isn't under pressure. However, considering how quickly Maloney found himself under the pump, he won't get long to show the board signs of progress. We have to give him a chance; we can't just keep on sacking managers, but he will have to get results, like all managers.

Hibee Mac
13-07-2022, 12:50 AM
Congratulations mate, two games in and you've already won the award for most ridiculous thread of the season.

OldEast
13-07-2022, 03:05 AM

Maybe an OTT title. Each of your paragraphs have varying levels of fact though, so as it's a forum and you're a member then post away. I don't agree he's under any pressure, in fact those under pressure should be the under performing players. I see LJ being pretty ruthless once all the squad eventually come together.
Unlike many on here what I find draining are the constant calls for bans or threads to be deleted. FFS if you don't agree with a poster then engage or ignore.

J-C
13-07-2022, 05:29 AM
I find it strange that he picked a stronger team on saturday against Clyde than he did last night, surely it was clear to everyone that last nights game was the harder and more important one to get right, I know LJ is treating these games like pre season but this wasn't one of them.

Brizo
13-07-2022, 05:56 AM

I read that in an Alan Partridge voice. You've certainly got his passive-aggressive tone down to a T :)

Shocker last night but hopefully a one-off. If we qualify from the group it'll go down as a blip. If we don't qualify it'll be the catalyst for us having exited one of the two competitions we have a chance of winning.

LJ should know now that the LC isn't a practice run or a set of glorified pre-season friendlies and I expect to see him changing things now to get us out of the group.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 06:03 AM
He's under pressure if our daft fanbase begins hounding him. Otherwise, no.

Keith_M
13-07-2022, 07:00 AM

Seriously?

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 07:06 AM
Not by the club, no, and rightly so.

But there was a good post on this board under Jack Ross' time which rung true. Managers are only ever going to get a few poor results before the fans start to turn. This is a blemish already imo, hopefully a bit of a reality check/kick up the arse. I don't think the result was a fair reflection of the game but that's football but if it leads to us being dumped out the league cup in the group stages you can bet things will get pretty toxic pretty quickly.

This.

Last season there was people quite openly telling us how they wanted rid of Maloney after the Cove Rangers game. That was the game that told them he wasn’t good enough and we should cut our losses apparently. That game was the 4th of Maloney’s tenure and followed a good win against Aberdeen, an even better win against Dundee United and a defeat away to the eventual Champions. We also won that game after a poor performance against a better side than we played last night. 4 games, 3 wins and a defeat to the champions.

We then played Arbroath 3 weeks later and it was a must win game really. That’s how quickly the fans can get on your back and that’s without suffering a result anywhere near as bad as last nights one.

People will laugh and say no all they like but it’s a fair enough question. He won’t be under any pressure from the board as of yet but he’ll be under pressure from a small number of fans already and that’ll only be made worse if we don’t get out this league cup group, something which is now out of our hands.

So after last nights result, whilst he might not instantly be under pressure, it probably leaves him very little wiggle room before he will be. With a tricky away tie at St J and then a home derby to come in his first two league games that’s not a great position to be in as he’ll not really be able to build any credit for beating Bonnyrigg or Morton.

matty_f
13-07-2022, 09:30 AM
I find it strange that he picked a stronger team on saturday against Clyde than he did last night, surely it was clear to everyone that last nights game was the harder and more important one to get right, I know LJ is treating these games like pre season but this wasn't one of them.

As bad as it was, the players that played last night should have had enough about them to beat Falkirk. Falkirk started the game with Stephen McGinn and Sean Mackie, neither of whom were good enough to stay at Hibs.

Yes it was a potentially tough tie, but unless we're saying we'd take Falkirk's players over ours, the team should have won.

I make that point with the caveat that I think the manager made a huge mistake with the defence and midfield he selected.

Mantis Toboggan
13-07-2022, 09:31 AM
Attention seeking nonsense

Winston Ingram
13-07-2022, 09:39 AM

A glorious example of post-match bed wetting.

I dunno how Hibs were trigger happy. JR lost 7 league games out of 9. SM won 1 in his last 13.

If Hibs were more trigger happy we wouldn't be in this competition and likely be in Europe.

He's here!
13-07-2022, 10:40 AM
A glorious example of post-match bed wetting.

I dunno how Hibs were trigger happy. JR lost 7 league games out of 9. SM won 1 in his last 13.

If Hibs were more trigger happy we wouldn't be in this competition and likely be in Europe.

I don't understand your last sentence. You mean we should be sacking managers even more regularly than we have been? Johnson is our fourth since Lennon, with a couple of caretaker spells from Gray thrown in.

Also, the 'bed wetting' accusations don't really hold water on recent evidence. Fair enough if these sort of pathetic performances were few and far between but they've become pretty much the norm for a long time now.

Northernhibee
13-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Jesus ****ing wept.

Lancs Harp
13-07-2022, 10:49 AM
All Managers are under 0ressure to a degree. Its nothing new to LJ and would imagine in his entire tenure with us he wont be under the same immense pressure he was under at Sunderland. Its something he's used to.
***** result yesterday but very early days yet. The pressure will increase if we start the season badly and dont pick anything up in difficult home games against Hearts and Rangers.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 11:00 AM
All Managers are under 0ressure to a degree. Its nothing new to LJ and would imagine in his entire tenure with us he wont be under the same immense pressure he was under at Sunderland. Its something he's used to.
***** result yesterday but very early days yet. The pressure will increase if we start the season badly and dont pick anything up in difficult home games against Hearts and Rangers.

Your last sentence is probably the most damaging part of last nights result and performance.

It’s not inconceivable that we could lose the first two home games of the season. As I said above, people were wanting Maloney sacked after his 4th game when we’d won 3 and lost away to Celtic. By the time we got to about game 10 it was win or bust against Arbroath. This was despite the fact we hadn’t had any results as bad as last night, had lost our one man team and had been taken over half way through the season by Maloney in much more difficult circumstances.

Some of them are even posting on this thread as if the suggestion a manager could be under pressure that fast is mental despite having just done it themselves to the previous guy.

That result last night was disastrous and the performance was indefensible. There’s only one opportunity now to get credit in the bank again before the derby with the St J game as there’s no real credit to be gained from beating Bonnyrigg Rose or Morton. If we were to get knocked out the league cup and lose to Hearts then the Rangers game will suddenly carry a huge amount of pressure with a lot of fans starting to form an opinion on where we’re going by that point.

Once fans have got an opinion on someone, it’s very hard to change it.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 11:02 AM
I’m comfortable with the club sacking any manager who keeps playing Joe Newell.

DH1875
13-07-2022, 11:04 AM
People are aware that only 3 2nd place teams qualify, yeah? Fail to qualify and there will be problems ahead.

The Spaceman
13-07-2022, 11:05 AM
I slept OK knowing we’d hit the bar three times and had two cleared off the line yesterday. It happens sometimes and was basically a Hibs B team on a rubbish plastic pitch.

Should we have done better? Yes. But I’m at least hoping this has triple-underlined to LJ that only one of Campbell (please no), JDH or Newell can play at any one point.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 11:06 AM
I slept OK knowing we’d hit the bar three times and had two cleared off the line yesterday. It happens sometimes and was basically a Hibs B team on a rubbish plastic pitch.

Should we have done better? Yes. But I’m at least hoping this has triple-underlined to LJ that only one of Campbell (please no), JDH or Newell can play at any one point.

Absolutely regarding your last point. If any 2 of them are on the pitch at the same time then we’ll be treated to the same crap we’ve watched all of last season again.

Smartie
13-07-2022, 11:12 AM

This quite neatly sums up last night to me tbh.

JDH offers the most of the 3 and I think would thrive with the right players in there with him.

Dalianwanda
13-07-2022, 11:12 AM
It’s kinda cheeky calling the board trigger happy when looking at the reaction from posters on here to last night.

Libby Hibby
13-07-2022, 11:13 AM
It’s kinda cheeky calling the board trigger happy when looking at the reaction from posters on here to last night.

Haha, quality comment.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 11:18 AM

Newell and Campbell have been here a long time. This isn’t a reaction to one game. If he keeps playing them then he’ll be gone sooner rather than later.
He still has a chance to fix this. He needs to take it. We’ll know by the weekend if he’s going to be smart enough to change direction.

Pretty Boy
13-07-2022, 11:33 AM
It's bordering on madness to think a manager is under pressure after 2 competitive games.

However Hibs, and others like us, aren't really in a position to give managers multiple seasons to get it right. I've said before that managers don't get given time, they earn it. The current ownership have shown they will be ruthless if things aren't working. There was little goodwill or sentiment shown to Ross and the Maloney mistake was, at least partially, rectified quickly.

The owner has spoken about big ambitions and whilst there isn't a huge amount of evidence of that on the park as of yet it is obviously where he wants us to be (whether he or the people he has employed know how to get us there is a whole other discussion which I'm sure will be had again if there are another couple of results like last night). With that ambition comes more pressure for a manager though. It may well be that a top 6 finish and plucky losers in a semi final simply isn't deemed good enough anymore. If there is a considerable increase in expenditure on the team then it stands to reason the expected returns on that will be higher. 'Who was the last manager to do X, Y or Z' may no longer be a relevant question if we are working under different conditions and with different aspirations. I suppose you can argue we as fans can't have it both ways, demand extra ambition but then use relatively modest successes of the past as a benchmark for whoever the current one is. If your aspirations are higher then your targets and standards have to match that.

I don't think Johnson is under any pressure yet, from either the club or the majority of the fanbase. If we fail to qualify from this group then he may well be, if is doing a lot of heavy lifting there though. He has a bit of a nightmare start in terms of league games and a couple of losses in the 2 home games could see any goodwill quickly evaporate. We need to get back on track in the next 2 games, need to get a result in Perth and from there he should be relatively insulated barring an absolute disaster in the derby.

One Day Soon
13-07-2022, 11:36 AM
We have two chances of silverware this season and one opportunity to strengthen our position on last season, which is the league.

Last night severely dented our league cup prospects and I would observe that Falkirk are a 5hitty league 1 side - not even Championship - that finished 6th in that league last season, just 10 points off a relegation spot. They are fully two leagues below us. I think climbing the league is a grind and will likely take time which is fair enough. Beating teams like Falkirk in the cup is another story entirely and there is no excuse for failing. None.

Unless we are starting games with a substantially changed and improved midfield and forward line compared to last season - and of course our defence is now disrupted too with transfers and releases - we are simply going to repeat the same mistakes as last season. I would argue that for a successful league campaign the most important element is a consistent first team, playing a consistent style and developing a winning mentality. The cup games are a bit more like pot luck but lower league sides should still be meat and drink.

We need to be fielding an improved and relatively stable line up and we need that stable line up to have players of proven quality and experience because that's the kind of framework within which your bright younger prospects get a chance to shine, make mistakes, gain experience and grow. If they are expected to do that within a struggling team their potential is damaged rather than developed. They cannot be expected to carry the team, instead the team needs to provide a platform for them. Who have we signed that fits the bill of being experienced, automatic first team picks, quality and likely to remain fit and injury free?

I don't know if LJ is now or will be soon under pressure and TBQH I don't really care. I just want a manager that works. We have gone on a bit of a signing spree and in my book the jury is out as to whether the club mentality behind that is about building a strong team and squad or speculating to try to accumulate.

If LJ goes on a bad run, particularly with Hearts up so early on, it will be as much a test of Ron's nerve as ours.

He's here!
13-07-2022, 12:08 PM
It's bordering on madness to think a manager is under pressure after 2 competitive games.

However Hibs, and others like us, aren't really in a position to give managers multiple seasons to get it right. I've said before that managers don't get given time, they earn it. The current ownership have shown they will be ruthless if things aren't working. There was little goodwill or sentiment shown to Ross and the Maloney mistake was, at least partially, rectified quickly.

The owner has spoken about big ambitions and whilst there isn't a huge amount of evidence of that on the park as of yet it is obviously where he wants us to be (whether he or the people he has employed know how to get us there is a whole other discussion which I'm sure will be had again if there are another couple of results like last night). With that ambition comes more pressure for a manager though. It may well be that a top 6 finish and plucky losers in a semi final simply isn't deemed good enough anymore. If there is a considerable increase in expenditure on the team then it stands to reason the expected returns on that will be higher. 'Who was the last manager to do X, Y or Z' may no longer be a relevant question if we are working under different conditions and with different aspirations. I suppose you can argue we as fans can't have it both ways, demand extra ambition but then use relatively modest successes of the past as a benchmark for whoever the current one is. If your aspirations are higher then your targets and standards have to match that.

I don't think Johnson is under any pressure yet, from either the club or the majority of the fanbase. If we fail to qualify from this group then he may well be, if is doing a lot of heavy lifting there though. He has a bit of a nightmare start in terms of league games and a couple of losses in the 2 home games could see any goodwill quickly evaporate. We need to get back on track in the next 2 games, need to get a result in Perth and from there he should be relatively insulated barring an absolute disaster in the derby.

If we quickly end up in choppy waters and Jack Ross ends up doing well at Tannadice, it will raise further questions as to whether the owner knows what he's doing.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 12:10 PM
If we quickly end up in choppy waters and Jack Ross ends up doing well at Tannadice, it will raise further questions as to whether the owner knows what he's doing.

What Jack Ross does at Tannadice is irrelevant really. He was sacked by Hibs because we were terrible, that hasn’t changed if he does well up there.

HibbyAndy
13-07-2022, 12:16 PM
What Jack Ross does at Tannadice is irrelevant really. He was sacked by Hibs because we were terrible, that hasn’t changed if he does well up there.

Spot on

Libby Hibby
13-07-2022, 12:30 PM

What that guy does up at Tannadice is irrelevant. In fact, he is responsible for giving last nights midfield three long term deals.

Jack Ross can effing bolt.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2022, 12:36 PM
What that guy does up at Tannadice is irrelevant. In fact, he is responsible for giving last nights midfield three long term deals.

Jack Ross can effing bolt.

Joe Newell signed his new deal in March when Maloney was in charge.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Joe Newell signed his new deal in March when Maloney was in charge.

And Jack Ross was trying to fix the midfield in his last window here and was let down by the club. That’s why Mathie got the sack.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2022, 01:30 PM

Quality post PB. 👏

Smartie
13-07-2022, 01:36 PM
Jack Ross had a midfield 3 of Newell, JDH and Magennis very close to going top of the league late last September before injuries to key players really started to bite.

I can certainly understand why, based on what we'd seen up to the point those contracts were renewed, he might have wanted to tie some of those players down.

It's unlikely he'd have earmarked a middle 3 of Newell, JDH and Campbell playing together as his first choice 3 every week.

Even then, they were good enough in a one off game to comfortably beat a team who reached a European final last season.

He's here!
13-07-2022, 01:39 PM

Yes, we were on a dreadful run but I got the sense from Ross that there were other factors at play off the pitch.

I felt his sacking was harsh at the time and nobody would argue we've ended up in a better place without him. Even Ron Gordon admitted it may have been a mistake to ditch him.

Personally I think he remains one of the top Scottish managers in the game and it will be interesting to see how he does at United.

He's here!
13-07-2022, 01:42 PM
I’m comfortable with the club sacking any manager who keeps playing Joe Newell.

The guy's continued involvement baffles me. Sporadic occasions when he's been lauded for having a 'touch of class' about him but overall his contribution appears negligible.

Smartie
13-07-2022, 01:43 PM
The guy's continued involvement baffles me. Sporadic occasions when he's been lauded for having a 'touch of class' about him but overall his contribution appears negligible.

He appears to be the most constant single factor in our poorest performances and results.

Played a decent chunk of the second half on Saturday when we were huffing and puffing against a team we'd managed to put 4 past in the first half an hour.

It hasn't been a good last game and a half from him at all.

He'd be in trouble if we had many more midfielders.

J-C
13-07-2022, 02:50 PM
I think we've all been excited about the young new players brought in, McGeady gives us guile and experience but the main area of concern is still the central midfield engine room. We still don't know Magennis's problems and when he'll be fit, it's also plain to see that Newell needs moved on and Campbell although a Hibby just isn't good enough for what we need, JDH has talent but is very inconsistent, we need at least 2 quality midfielders brought in and soon.

Hibees1973
13-07-2022, 07:55 PM
It could easily be argued that Ross failed in his latter 3 months at Hibs much in the same way as the Gordon's & Kensall have failed so far at Hibs.

Yet the latter 3 have the power to sack, which they have done on numerous occasions, various people at the club.

Johnson is really the last throw of the dice that the Gordon's and Kensall have.

Johnson must have Hibs in the top 5 and in the latter stages of the cups which is where Ross consistently had Hibs placed. If not the Gordon's & Kensall will have failed and must be removed.

marinello59
13-07-2022, 08:17 PM
I feel like I am in a minority here in thinking that the reaction to last nights defeat has been just a wee bit over the top. Two bounce matches in the sunshine aren’t going prepare us properly for competitive football no matter the standard of opposition and exposes the madness of having these League Cup group stage matches so early.
We are still short of match fitness, a few games away from meaningful team cohesion and as such we were always going to be vulnerable to an early doors defeat. The suggestion that LJ is already under pressure is bonkers,.

Smartie
13-07-2022, 08:24 PM
I feel like I am in a minority here in thinking that the reaction to last nights defeat has been just a wee bit over the top. Two bounce matches in the sunshine aren’t going prepare us properly for competitive football no matter the standard of opposition and exposes the madness of having these League Cup group stage matches so early.
We are still short of match fitness, a few games away from meaningful team cohesion and as such we were always going to be vulnerable to an early doors defeat. The suggestion that LJ is already under pressure is bonkers,.

Any suggestion that LJ is under pressure is nonsense, but I don’t think we should sugarcoat what was a terrible performance and result with so many individual factors we should be concerned about.

There were plenty of positives to be taken from the Clyde game so when you put both together I don’t think many firm conclusions should be drawn quite yet.

marinello59
13-07-2022, 08:36 PM
Any suggestion that LJ is under pressure is nonsense, but I don’t think we should sugarcoat what was a terrible performance and result with so many individual factors we should be concerned about.

There were plenty of positives to be taken from the Clyde game so when you put both together I don’t think many firm conclusions should be drawn quite yet.

I agree. I haven’t formed an opinion yet on where we are based on either of those results.

Since452
13-07-2022, 08:37 PM
The team that starts against St Johnstone will be vastly different to the one that started last night. We've even got four new signings that haven't made their debut yet and probably another one or two signings to come. Should be absolutely no talk of LJ losing his job.

He's here!
13-07-2022, 08:56 PM

Clyde have just lost at home to Bonnyrigg.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 09:03 PM
The only thing that will cost Johnson his job is results. It won’t be anything anyone says on here.
People getting upset because some fans are concerned about the state of our midfield are worrying over nothing. If the results are good, we’ll all be happy and praising Johnson. If they are bad, then it will be the opposite. It’s the same for every club.
We are just voicing an opinion that if he doesn’t bring in new midfielders, then we think that he will fail.
Only time will tell. Johnson’s job is to get results. He’s made a bad start and some of us think we know why. Us pointing it out won’t get him the sack. It will be the results.
He still has time to fix it and bring in the players he needs but if he doesn’t, then I’m my humble opinion, he will fail badly.

HoboHarry
13-07-2022, 09:06 PM
If this level of stupidity is what's now acceptable for reasonable debate regarding Hibs then its time to find a new Hibs forum. Off the charts stupidity.

Pretty Boy
13-07-2022, 09:06 PM
The team that starts against St Johnstone will be vastly different to the one that started last night. We've even got four new signings that haven't made their debut yet and probably another one or two signings to come. Should be absolutely no talk of LJ losing his job.

I'm genuinely not being a smart arse here but I'm aware it could come across that way so I'm adding the disclaimer.

If the work permit issue drags on another week or 2 how many of the early league games are we happy to write off because of their lack of games, time it will take them to get up to speed, team will be vastly different when those things happen etc? If we are throwing 2, 3 or 4 newbies in for their debut after a friendly v Norwich or a LC game as prep then it stands to reason the same issues about fitness and cohesion will still be present.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether people would be happy to excuse us taking say 3 points from our 1st 4 games in the same way they are intimating they aren't that bothered about the potentially perilous situation we find ourselves in in one of the competitions we can actually win.

LaMotta
13-07-2022, 09:12 PM
The only thing that will cost Johnson his job is results. It won’t be anything anyone says on here.
People getting upset because some fans are concerned about the state of our midfield are worrying over nothing. If the results are good, we’ll all be happy and praising Johnson. If they are bad, then it will be the opposite. It’s the same for every club.
We are just voicing an opinion that if he doesn’t bring in new midfielders, then we think that he will fail.
Only time will tell. Johnson’s job is to get results. He’s made a bad start and some of us think we know why. Us pointing it out won’t get him the sack. It will be the results.
He still has time to fix it and bring in the players he needs but if he doesn’t, then I’m my humble opinion, he will fail badly.

Exactly this. :agree:

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 09:15 PM
I'm genuinely not being a smart arse here but I'm aware it could come across that way so I'm adding the disclaimer.

If the work permit issue drags on another week or 2 how many of the early league games are we happy to write off because of their lack of games, time it will take them to get up to speed, team will be vastly different when those things happen etc? If we are throwing 2, 3 or 4 newbies in for their debut after a friendly v Norwich or a LC game as prep then it stands to reason the same issues about fitness and cohesion will still be present.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether people would be happy to excuse us taking say 3 points from our 1st 4 games in the same way they are intimating they aren't that bothered about the potentially perilous situation we find ourselves in in one of the competitions we can actually win.

Nobody will want to write off any games , and a good start will be highly desirable..but tbh. If we are in the top 4 at Xmas time , I wouldn’t care how many points we take in the first 4 games …

marinello59
13-07-2022, 09:17 PM

We shouldn't be playing crucial competitive matches like the league cup group games so soon after squads reassemble yet that’s where we are. The powers that be have effectively made them the pre season preparation for the league campaign. I’m bothered that we may go out of the League Cup early but it shouldn’t be bringing undue pressure on to LJ. We do need to hit the ground running in the league, hopefully after these three games where the bulk of the players have played together we do.

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 09:36 PM
All the teams in the league cup knew when it started.

Why is it just the clubs that lost a game that are saying it’s only pre season or that they need time to get up to speed?!

If Falkirk could be ready for us, we should have been able to be ready for them? What was holding us back that didn’t stop Falkirk?

GreenCastle
13-07-2022, 09:37 PM

If we are short of match fitness why didn’t we start pre-season sooner and arrange more friendlies ?

I know LJ said he wasn’t happy coming back later but we should have no excuses as part time Falkirk shouldn’t be more fit than us.

Pretty Boy
13-07-2022, 09:39 PM
All the teams in the league cup knew when it started.

Why is it just the clubs that lost a game that are saying it’s only pre season or that they need time to get up to speed?!

If Falkirk could be ready for us, we should have been able to be ready for them? What was holding us back that didn’t stop Falkirk?

I understand the point about LC games being too early regardless of whether we win comfortably like Saturday or lose horribly like last night.

I am concerned about the early league games though. Regardless of whether these games we are currently playing are competitive or friendlies the same lack of preparation is going to be an issue for at least 3 players come the opening league game in Perth. It's either guys with maybe 90 minutes under their belt being thrown in or relying on guys who played last night.

That has to be a concern even if large parts of it aren't the fault of Hibs.

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 09:39 PM

3 points from the first 4 games could see us bottom of the league.

I can’t imagine many of us would be happy with that and there would probably be calls for LJ to go.

At the same time, there would be plenty of people saying it’s only 4 games and to give him a chance, wait for work permits and injuries etc.

Lets hope it doesn’t come to that. If it does, it will set the tone for the whole season.

B.H.F.C
13-07-2022, 10:02 PM
I understand the point about LC games being too early regardless of whether we win comfortably like Saturday or lose horribly like last night.

I am concerned about the early league games though. Regardless of whether these games we are currently playing are competitive or friendlies the same lack of preparation is going to be an issue for at least 3 players come the opening league game in Perth. It's either guys with maybe 90 minutes under their belt being thrown in or relying on guys who played last night.

That has to be a concern even if large parts of it aren't the fault of Hibs.

I think we’ll win the next two League Cup games and qualify from the group. But the start of the league concerns me.

We have signed a lot of new players who might or might not be available and who might or might not be up to speed. At best, they’ll all be available but won’t have played much together. If we had what I felt was a strong core of the team, and just needed to fit a few of the new players around it, I’d be a bit happier but I just don’t think that’s there.

Come the game in Perth, it won’t surprise me if you’re looking at only 2 or 3 of the new players being in the team.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 10:05 PM
3 points from the first 4 games could see us bottom of the league.

I can’t imagine many of us would be happy with that and there would probably be calls for LJ to go.

At the same time, there would be plenty of people saying it’s only 4 games and to give him a chance, wait for work permits and injuries etc.

Lets hope it doesn’t come to that. If it does, it will set the tone for the whole season.

I think if there are a couple of new midfielders in and he has a bad start then people will be more inclined to give him time. If he goes with the failures we have and has a bad start then he’s on a hiding to nothing.

ZitellZeTime
13-07-2022, 10:28 PM

Aye last season all 3 of them were ***** and Campbell didn't look like he had a clue where he was meant to be or doing on the pitch, Newell was ***** a lot as well but had a great game every so often but then would be ***** again for the next few weeks.

I would have picked him out of the 3 if we were letting two go to bring in two as was discussed on another thread not long ago but the few games before this JDH I think would look a much better option with Magennis and someone else if a midfield 3 and probably Campbell on the bench and try get rid of Newell. We definitely need atleast 1 other new CM if he's going to play 3. Kenneh looks decent but don't know how good he is going to be once the season starts.

Even if he is good and we bring in someone else we could have the new player Kenneh and Magennis, JDH and Campbell on the bench. Newell doesn't even look interested these days.

Can't see us getting rid of him though, think he's on a decent wage so he's not going to be pushing to go anywhere as I doubt anyone is going to be desperate for him at the moment.

We got money for Boyle, now Doig, decent money for both, one just this week, moved swiftly to replace him but we still need another CB another CM and another Striker, I like Doidge but we can't rely on him being the Talisman, good squad player to have but surely with the money now for doig we cant get a CB,CM,and a number 9 type striker.

I know we bought that Mcallister boy from Bristol and they're quite pissed we've got him and other teams were after him so must have something about him but he's only 16 and only played under 23's for Bristol so far so im guessing he's not coming to be an instant starter.

If Kenneh hits the ground running and Magennis is back to even near he was before alongside JDH think that'd be ok, but thats a big if and if Kyle gets injured again we're screwed. I'd really want two CM's to be honest but with all the midfielders on the books unless we get rid of one of Newell or something theres no chance we're bringing in two new ones.

But definitely need a striker, a lot of the forward type players seem similar as wide type of strikers who can play through the middle if needed but we neeed a proper number 9 and I don't think we can rely on Doidge for that. Don't know how long it will take Nisbet to get back up to speed when he eventually is back either. Really think we need someone there.

I read Bojangs work permit should be done this week but didn't mentuon Youan or Tavares, will we need a work permit for the new left back as well?

Is this something to do with Brexit? We never used tro have to get work permits for Portugese players like Tavares or French players like Youan who is 23 I think and has played int he same league Kamberi did and can't remember us needing a work permit for him.

Did we even need to get a work permit for Melkerson and Bushiri who were just in January there? I'm not clued up on why we need work permits for European players now. I thought maybe Brexit but I remember it being in the news that it won't affect us and will still get fast tracked work permits for players. Doesn't seem very fast tracked.

I'm guessing the reason it isn't happening with a lot of the foreign players signing in the EPL is because they are already established players for their countrys national sides or something?

lyonhibs
14-07-2022, 04:34 AM
You just knew there'd be a moronic thread like this after the first bump in the road 😅 As predictable as the rising and setting off the sun

Stubbsy90+2
14-07-2022, 07:29 AM
You just knew there'd be a moronic thread like this after the first bump in the road 😅 As predictable as the rising and setting off the sun

It’s not really moronic though when there was people calling for the last managers head and saying they had made up their mind he wasn’t good enough after 3 wins and a defeat away to Celtic.

Fair enough the board side of it is pretty much a guarantee he’s not under pressure yet but Maloney was under pressure after 4 games from some fans despite having won 3 of them. There’s a very realistic chance that Johnson could be under pressure from people by the end of the Hearts game if we don’t do well and Tuesdays result will be a factor in that.

Since90+2
14-07-2022, 07:33 AM
***** threads like this should be closed immediately. Just feeds into negativity.

The guys been in charge for 2 games ffs.

easty
14-07-2022, 07:39 AM
***** threads like this should be closed immediately. Just feeds into negativity.

The guys been in charge for 2 games ffs.

50% win is a good rate for a Hibs manager.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2022, 07:53 AM

I dont think anyone really is calling for LJ to be sacked, but i will say tuesdays result was more predictable than any call for the managers head, when you see the team that he picked.

Yorkshire HFC
14-07-2022, 08:04 AM

First sensible post I've seen on this website in a long time. I'm of an age where being a football supporter meant following your team on a Saturday then getting on with the other things in your life. I've never understood people coming onto the internet and trying to get people to lose their jobs - I guess this website just allows people to shout the first thing that comes into their head - and think that other people need to hear it. Why would someone who knows nothing about football think they can offer advice to someone who's worked in football for 30 years?

Stubbsy90+2
14-07-2022, 08:11 AM
First sensible post I've seen on this website in a long time. I'm of an age where being a football supporter meant following your team on a Saturday then getting on with the other things in your life. I've never understood people coming onto the internet and trying to get people to lose their jobs - I guess this website just allows people to shout the first thing that comes into their head - and think that other people need to hear it. Why would someone who knows nothing about football think they can offer advice to someone who's worked in football for 30 years?

Absolutely nobody is trying to get anybody to lose their job though.

There’s a hell of a lot of hyperbole surrounding the negative comments. You’re not the first poster suggesting that people are wanting us to sack LJ despite there having never been anyone saying that.

People seem to be falling over themselves to make out the ‘negative’ posts are ten times worse than they are and claiming they’ve seen things posted that they haven’t actually seen so that they can tell us how ridiculous the posts are or that this place has went down hill.

I don’t see why this thread is that ridiculous giving how quickly other managers have come under pressure from the fans and how quick we sacked the last manager and that’s despite the fact that we’ve not had a result as bad as Tuesdays for years.

superfurryhibby
14-07-2022, 08:16 AM

This shouldn't be a surprise to you, even for those of us who went to football in a different era. Managers still got sacked and fans still gave them stick.

If Johnson persists with that midfield three then he will fail at Hibs, you don't need to be mystic meg to work that one out. Fortunately, he has the chance to learn from that error and correct a glaring misjudgement, starting on Saturday.

OldEast
14-07-2022, 08:24 AM

Like you it was fitba Saturday, the odd Wednesday night then back to real life. These days have gone now with the introduction of the internet, and moaning faced twats have a vehicle to spout their what is generally agreed to be negative nonsense. But so what? I've commented more than once on this. When did grown men turn into such bloody snowflakes? Have they always been there and like the negative types they can now moan about the moaners?
How's about growing the **** up and instead of squealing like a bunch of schoolgirls for posters to be banned or threads to be closed just move along. Don't you see it's yourselves who keep these threads going. If you can't respond with a positive comment then don't give them a second thought if you don't like what's said.

SlickShoes
14-07-2022, 08:31 AM
I think we’ll win the next two League Cup games and qualify from the group. But the start of the league concerns me.

We have signed a lot of new players who might or might not be available and who might or might not be up to speed. At best, they’ll all be available but won’t have played much together. If we had what I felt was a strong core of the team, and just needed to fit a few of the new players around it, I’d be a bit happier but I just don’t think that’s there.

Come the game in Perth, it won’t surprise me if you’re looking at only 2 or 3 of the new players being in the team.

What's the other option? Just use the same squad as last season and don't sign players or only sign UK based players that are fully fit and know everyone in the squad already?

We are all aware that we need a huge overhaul, we have already signed a huge amount of new faces, if they all settle and we win loads of games it will be a miracle.

Everyone knows that new managers and new players need time, but no one wants to give them time, this forum wants results NOW NOW NOW, good performances every single time, god forbid we remember that the people involved here are human beings.

The rhetoric here is already the same as last season, nothing is good enough, predictions of doom, expectations so far beyond what our club has ever consistently managed that pretty much no manager or group of players at our level is likely to produce.

superfurryhibby
14-07-2022, 08:46 AM
What's the other option? Just use the same squad as last season and don't sign players or only sign UK based players that are fully fit and know everyone in the squad already?

We are all aware that we need a huge overhaul, we have already signed a huge amount of new faces, if they all settle and we win loads of games it will be a miracle.

Everyone knows that new managers and new players need time, but no one wants to give them time, this forum wants results NOW NOW NOW, good performances every single time, god forbid we remember that the people involved here are human beings.

The rhetoric here is already the same as last season, nothing is good enough, predictions of doom, expectations so far beyond what our club has ever consistently managed that pretty much no manager or group of players at our level is likely to produce.

Yep, we've signed players, but for one reason or another we played with the failed midfield trio from last season and lost to a 1st Division side. Do you expect that kind of result and predictable performance pleased the away fans who sold out their ticket allocation?

Now you're making up stuff about expectations and no group of players at our level ever being likely to achieve. Let's ignore the facts though and forget that Aberdeen managed a consistent run of form in our league, with broadly comparable resources, achieving several second and third place finishes over a period of years. Why can't Hibs fans aspire to that?

Clap on, but not many will be joining in though

Stubbsy90+2
14-07-2022, 08:55 AM
Yep, we've signed players, but for one reason or another we played with the failed midfield trio from last season and lost to a 1st Division side. Do you expect that kind of result and predictable performance pleased the away fans who sold out their ticket allocation?

Now you're making up stuff about expectations and no group of players at our level ever being likely to achieve. Let's ignore the facts though and forget that Aberdeen managed a consistent run of form in our league, with broadly comparable resources, achieving several second and third place finishes over a period of years. Why can't Hibs fans aspire to that?

:agree:

Bang on.

B.H.F.C
14-07-2022, 09:00 AM

Think you’re over reacting to my post a bit, I don’t think I predicted any doom.

Why should we need a miracle to be ready for the league season? I’m of the opinion that we’re now spending good money on the squad (I know some people aren’t but I think our wages and so on will be significantly up on before and we’re finding different ways to get people in the door). It’s up to the club to ensure we are ready for the league starting, I just happen to be concerned that we might not be from what I’ve watched.

The reason some of the rhetoric is the same is because we’ve just witnessed exactly the same thing as we witnessed for months last season. It’s a shame because there was some positivity building, I just hope Johnson has learned quickly from what he saw and makes the changes required.

Iain G
14-07-2022, 09:06 AM
Absolutely nobody is trying to get anybody to lose their job though.

There’s a hell of a lot of hyperbole surrounding the negative comments. You’re not the first poster suggesting that people are wanting us to sack LJ despite there having never been anyone saying that.

People seem to be falling over themselves to make out the ‘negative’ posts are ten times worse than they are and claiming they’ve seen things posted that they haven’t actually seen so that they can tell us how ridiculous the posts are or that this place has went down hill.

I don’t see why this thread is that ridiculous giving how quickly other managers have come under pressure from the fans and how quick we sacked the last manager and that’s despite the fact that we’ve not had a result as bad as Tuesdays for years.

Of course this thread is ridiculous as it's game 2! He has only in to door and only been working with players for around 4 weeks.

Forza Fred
14-07-2022, 09:16 AM
Of course this thread is ridiculous as it's game 2! He has only in to door and only been working with players for around 4 weeks.

Absolutely.

Defies other comment.

SlickShoes
14-07-2022, 09:21 AM

Falkirk are a second division side. No one is pleased with the result, but this thread and many of the posts within it are a complete overreaction.

We aren't Aberdeen though, what they did is completely irrelevant. While they were doing that we spent 3 years in the division below. We have had 4 3rd place finishes in my entire lifetime.

We can aspire to it, but it's going to take time to get there, especially based on what we witnessed last season. Being aspirational is not the same as the expectations that people here have for the team. Just look at the reaction to a single defeat.

The expectation here is that the new manager comes in, signs lots of players and we don't lose to **** teams, we don't lose to our rivals, and we win big games. Which basically amounts to winning every game. It's a sport and this is never going to happen.

Do you honestly think that the online hibs community here and on social media asking questions about the manager being sacked after his second game is in any way productive? The discussion is ridiculous.

Stubbsy90+2
14-07-2022, 09:38 AM

I would agree with you - if we hadn’t seen our previous manager come under pressure after 3 wins and a defeat away to the eventual champions and also get to win or bust stage at game 10. That would suggest to me that LJ could be under pressure very soon as he’s already off to a worse start than Maloney was by the time he was under pressure.

Although i suppose it’s fair to say those reactions were ridiculous as well. It’s just funny though seeing some of the people calling this ridiculous are the very ones who declared they knew it was time to get Maloney out after 3 wins and a defeat at Parkhead.

Since452
14-07-2022, 09:41 AM

I think that kind of start would put any Hibs manager under pressure. I wouldn't accept that at all no matter what our player situation was. The LC group stages are prone to throwing up surprises because it is so early in the season. I'm not reading too much in to it but i agree that it is one of the two competitions we should be aiming to win. Was it Hearts that lost to Peterhead few seasons ago? I'm still really excited optimistic for this season.

superfurryhibby
14-07-2022, 09:50 AM
Falkirk are a second division side. No one is pleased with the result, but this thread and many of the posts within it are a complete overreaction.

We aren't Aberdeen though, what they did is completely irrelevant. While they were doing that we spent 3 years in the division below. We have had 4 3rd place finishes in my entire lifetime.

We can aspire to it, but it's going to take time to get there, especially based on what we witnessed last season. Being aspirational is not the same as the expectations that people here have for the team. Just look at the reaction to a single defeat.

The expectation here is that the new manager comes in, signs lots of players and we don't lose to **** teams, we don't lose to our rivals, and we win big games. Which basically amounts to winning every game. It's a sport and this is never going to happen.

Do you honestly think that the online hibs community here and on social media asking questions about the manager being sacked after his second game is in any way productive? The discussion is ridiculous.

Aberdeen part is based on the fact that they are comparable to us in terms of support and historical standing in our game. Just because we have underachieved in your (and my) lifetime, doesn't mean we can't do better.

We have taken in six million pounds in transfer fees this year, that's fuelled expectation around the standard of player we can bring to the club.

No one, even the most blinkered fan, has suggested that we should win every game, that's just you making things up. However, we definitely don't enjoy being beaten by a side from league 1.

Johnson has time and goodwill, but if he plays that midfield trio and loses matches, then he is going to get pelters. Is that not to be expected?

Ps

WhileTheChief..
14-07-2022, 11:39 AM

I guess you don’t read many posts then.

Why are you even on here if we’re meant to go home after the game and forget about it?

Take your poxy insults elsewhere.

14-07-2022, 01:38 PM
A Roy Keane team wouldn't have lost to Falkirk. :fishin:

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2022, 08:01 PM
A Roy Keane team wouldn't have lost to Falkirk. :fishin:

But would have lost to Clyde 😉

marinello59
14-07-2022, 08:08 PM
But would have lost to Clyde 😉

Well remembered. :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
20-07-2022, 08:56 PM
He is now.

We’ve got 3 very difficult games to start our league campaign. Fail to win any of them which is a very real possibility and it’ll be a long way back for him.

Allant1981
20-07-2022, 09:00 PM
He is now.

We’ve got 3 very difficult games to start our league campaign. Fail to win any of them which is a very real possibility and it’ll be a long way back for him.

No he isnt

Stevie Reid
20-07-2022, 09:00 PM
Couldn’t have imagined a worse start. Supporter morale being this low in July is a disaster.

Look well short in every department, and the guys still to come in won’t fix our problems.

Pretty Boy
20-07-2022, 09:01 PM
I feel genuinely sorry for LJ.

A few people higher up the chain should be looking in the mirror and making an honest appraisal of themselves.

They have thrown Johnson the the wolves.

HoboHarry
20-07-2022, 09:01 PM
He is now.

Aye right.

FitbaFolkKen
20-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Couldn’t have imagined a worse start. Supporter morale being this low in July is a disaster.

Look well short in every department, and the guys still to come in won’t fix our problems.

If we get gubbed by Hearts there will be no coming back for him with a section of the support.

Scottie
20-07-2022, 09:03 PM

A few people higher up the chain should be looking in the mirror and making an honest appraisal of themselves.

They have thrown Johnson the the wolves.
Disagree completely. Johnson knew exactly what he was in for when he took the job. Whats changed so much in the month or so he's had the job ?

supermcginn
20-07-2022, 09:04 PM
The first two home games are massive for him. Two humpings from hearts and rangers and he will be finished in many fans eyes rightly or wrongly.

overdrive
He’ll be gone by Christmas.

The two that really need sacking are Gordon Jr and Kensell.

Northernhibee
Very unfortunate to have had such a short pre season and a recruitment team who seem to sign players like it’s Football Manager than real life. Still not good enough, but if it comes down to him or the owners son losing their job in a few months then we know who the victim will be.

SlickShoes
Still no, it’s going to take a long time to stop the rot from last season.

Crab apple
20-07-2022, 09:06 PM
I'd be amazed if RG is contemplating ditching LJ this early but not winning this group is a huge disappointment. We've had excellent cup runs the last few years which maybe papered over the cracks in our league form. No hiding behind these this season.

Baader
20-07-2022, 09:07 PM
Worse possible start for the guy. We've had two of our worst results in years in the last three games. Defeat to St Johnstone and Hearts and he is really going to be done for in the eyes of some of the support. Like it or not.

The Captain....

They have thrown Johnson the the wolves.Agreed the constant eroding of quality window by window has led us to what we saw tonight and Falkirk. These aren't anomalies, the quality of player isn't better than those clubs.

Johnson has been hung out to dry with a very poor inherited squad, youngsters not ready for the standard, and a sprinkling of oldies right at the end of their careers.

Recruitment is diabolical.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Jdawg
Almost guaranteed to be bottom 6

Cameron1875
20-07-2022, 09:08 PM
The 4 week break in November for the World cup is looking ominous for Johnson especially if this continues.

Maybe after tonight we can sign some players that we've actually heard of rather than Ian Gordon testing out the strength of his old mans fibre optic broadband...

Stubbsy90+2
20-07-2022, 09:08 PM
No he isnt

You’re kidding yourself on if you don’t think he’s under huge pressure now for the first 3 games from the fans.

If we get off to a bad start then as I said, it’ll be a long way back for him, especially if that includes a derby defeat at ER.

overdrive
20-07-2022, 09:09 PM
Almost guaranteed to be bottom 6

I think we’ll be lucky to get that. I can see us being in a relegation battle on the basis of the league cup games.

HH81
20-07-2022, 09:10 PM
Henderson and Rocky best two players pre-season.

Lot of poor performers from rest.

Stuart93
It’s the constant being told that the transfer fees we’re receiving will be invested back into the playing squad, where about?

A few signing on fees paid and a few players wages. Nowhere near enough investment in this squad.

GreenNWhiteArmy
St Johnstone A
Hearts H
Livi A
Rangers H

Two tough away games and two of the toughest home games to open up the league campaign after an embarrassing group stage league Cup exit

Worrying

overdrive
20-07-2022, 09:11 PM
It’s the constant being told that the transfer fees we’re receiving will be invested back into the playing squad, where about?

A few signing on fees paid and a few players wages. Nowhere near enough investment in this squad.

Spent on players for the development team who may never make it.

loanheadhibby
20-07-2022, 09:12 PM
No he isnt

Do you honestly believe he’s not already under pressure? He has to be. We’ve just failed to qualify from a group containing Falkirk, Bonnyrigg, Clyde & Morton. That’s sackable in itself

Percy Vere
20-07-2022, 09:13 PM
We probably would but that's far from guaranteed.

Pretty much no chance
It’s disappointing but I’d rather it happens now than in the league.
LJ knows he has a task on his hands.

Jones28
20-07-2022, 09:14 PM
I thought this was a laughable thread title a few days ago.

Now I hope it’s true. LJ had me won over but I’m very quickly regressing.

And a pre season win against Norwich will not change my mind.

loanheadhibby
20-07-2022, 09:14 PM

I’ll be very surprised if he’s here in December. Got Jim Duffy written all over it.

Lancs Harp
20-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Putting pressure on himself is the only thing LJ has succeeded in so far.
Disappointing to say the least to date.

Carheenlea
20-07-2022, 09:17 PM
David Gray better check his suitcase with the temporary managers outfit is all in order and ready to be sprung into action at any given time.

JohnM1875
20-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Do you honestly believe he’s not already under pressure? He has to be. We’ve just failed to qualify from a group containing Falkirk, Bonnyrigg, Clyde & Morton. That’s sackable in itself

I actually agree he'll already be under pressure from some fans. But no way Ron is going to be as trigger happy this time.

Also I'm sure we still haven't technically failed to get of the group. We're still top.

Stubbsy90+2
20-07-2022, 09:19 PM
I thought this was a laughable thread title a few days ago.

Now I hope it’s true. LJ had me won over but I’m very quickly regressing.

And a pre season win against Norwich will not change my mind.

Thing is, being under pressure doesn’t need to equate to being sacked.

He’s given himself a terrible start though and he’s not only got no credit in the bank, he’s already sitting in his overdraft. There’s been very little pre season to be positive about. Crap results, crap performances, crap signings and a manager who has completely underestimated at least one of the games.

If we lose to St J first game of the season then the Hearts game could end up getting into must not lose territory in terms of keeping the fans onside to some extent.

Stokesy's on fire
20-07-2022, 09:20 PM
Morton and now Falkirk...this doesnt look good for LJ at all.

Jones28
20-07-2022, 09:22 PM
Thing is, being under pressure doesn’t need to equate to being sacked.

He’s given himself a terrible start though and he’s not only got no credit in the bank, he’s already sitting in his overdraft. There’s been very little pre season to be positive about. Crap results, crap performances, crap signings and a manager who has completely underestimated at least one of the games.

If we lose to St J first game of the season then the Hearts game could end up getting into must not lose territory in terms of keeping the fans onside to some extent.

If we’re sitting with no wins from the first 5 or 6 games after as dismal a league cup as this then I’ve every confidence he could be sacked after 10 games, and Ben Kensall along with him.

scuttle
20-07-2022, 09:22 PM
Simple answer from me is yes, no attacking,high pressing football so far,new signings look way off it,but yes he talks a good game, will be gone before xmas

JammyDoidger
20-07-2022, 09:23 PM
It's not the manager every single time, it's the board. Recruitment again garbage. No winners, no leaders, weak, just weak.

Mantis Toboggan
20-07-2022, 09:24 PM
Still an idiotic thread and if you are posting to back it then get an f grip. Mind blowing short sighted stupidity.

Stubbsy90+2
20-07-2022, 09:24 PM
If we’re sitting with no wins from the first 5 or 6 games after as dismal a league cup as this then I’ve every confidence he could be sacked after 10 games, and Ben Kensall along with him.

Short of losing every match I think he’ll get the first set of fixtures regardless. If we fail to win any of the first 3 though (especially with a defeat to Hearts) then I’d suggest it’s already at the point where it’s more likely than not just a matter of time.

Jones28
20-07-2022, 09:26 PM
Short of losing every match I think he’ll get the first set of fixtures regardless. If we fail to win any of the first 3 though (especially with a defeat to Hearts) then I’d suggest it’s already at the point where it’s more likely than not just a matter of time.

We don’t like derby defeats, one was enough to turn a significant number of fans against Jack Ross. I wasn’t one of them for the record.

Fwiw I agree he will and absolutely should get the first round of fixtures as a minimum.

Steve20
20-07-2022, 09:28 PM
So we sack another manager and then what??? It’s the same clowns that run the club and the same recruitment team that sign the crap.

It goes far deeper than the management role.

But we will announce another commercial partnership soon and Ron will expect us to appreciate him doing so.

He’s not got a clue how to run a football club. Not a single clue.

SideBurns
20-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Given that Ron Gordon sacked a manager a week before a cup final, then gave the next guy a few months before deciding he wis useless, I don't think Johnson should feel particularly comfortable.

But after watching that tonight, I honestly couldnae give a fiddler's fart one way or the other right now.

Jim44
20-07-2022, 09:31 PM
Still an idiotic thread and if you are posting to back it then get an f grip. Mind blowing short sighted stupidity.

Some might say you’re the stupid one. As I’ve said elsewhere, Ron Gordon is the root of the problem ……. clueless!

WhileTheChief..
20-07-2022, 09:32 PM

If that happens, he should be sacked.

There's no excuse. Well, no valid one anyways.

The things we're talking about now are exactly the same things we were saying last summer. We've known for ages what had to be done to fix it, but for whatever reason the club just don't see it.

Maybe they're naive? Maybe they're arrogant and think we're actually pretty good? Whatever it is they think, they're wrong.

We've got fans that have been watching Hibs every week for decades. They'd never heard of us 5 years ago. They need to listen, and learn.

Pretty Boy
I’ll be very surprised if he’s here in December. Got Jim Duffy written all over it.

He lasted until February.......

H18 SFR
Levein just made a fair point on BBC Scotland- these players have already seen off two managers.

It’s going to take several transfer windows to correctly overhaul the squad.

Mantis Toboggan
20-07-2022, 09:33 PM
Some might say you’re the stupid one. As I’ve said elsewhere, Ron Gordon is the root of the problem ……. clueless!

Sack Gordon then. That makes sense.

Stevie Reid
20-07-2022, 09:34 PM
I wouldn’t feel anywhere near as bad if we were in the same situation but had played well in the games, missed loads of chances, and just been undone by a couple of sucker punches in the two defeats.

It wasn’t like that though. Falkirk caused us a lot of problems, and though we did create a fair amount, it’s hard to argue that we were really hard done by.

Tonight was even worse. Did their keeper even have a save? Marshall had a very good one. Had we gone out but seen strong signs of the style of football that LJ has promised, a good pattern to our play with energy and tempo, that would be one thing.

Going out after abject performances with all of the new players looking way off what we need, is quite another.

Usually full of optimism at this point in the season. Feel as scunnered as I did at the end of the last one at the moment.

McGruber
Just can't believe he has repeated Maloney's failings. The midfield needed a revamp this window as it did under Maloney. Newell, Campbell, Doyle-Hayes lining up and failing v Falkirk. We needed a quality centre back before anything else - we needed tried and tested experienced leaders - queue bunch of untried kids.

Not looking good.

Stubbsy90+2
Levein just made a fair point on BBC Scotland- these players have already seen off two managers.

I honestly can’t believe how many people have been saying that we’re starting to build a good squad. I also can’t believe people were expecting big improvements from the crap that let us down before.

People bigged up the likes of Kenneh is if he was going to be a superstar despite having never seen him. He looks miles off this level so far (although it is early days) and as it stands, he’s the only guy we’ve signed to change our abomination of a midfield from last year.

Gatecrasher
So we sack another manager and then what??? It’s the same clowns that run the club and the same recruitment team that sign the crap.

But we will announce another commercial partnership soon and Ron will expect us to appreciate him doing so.

:agree: the pressure should be put on those running the club.

Iain G
20-07-2022, 09:35 PM

Did you explain why you think he is the root of all problems?

Jones28
20-07-2022, 09:36 PM

I don’t think that’s entirely accurate. He hasn’t got a clue how to appoint people to run a football club on the playing side.

Kensall is proving that he is switched on commercially with the new income generated for the club, but making a complete balls up of the playing side.

Not backing and then sacking Jack Ross is the biggest mistake the club has made since…**** knows when actually. When was the last time you could so clearly see how big a cock was made by the club?

We need a Director of Football.

Flanny boy
20-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Morton and now Falkirk...this doesnt look good for LJ at all.
A bad start in the league and that could be it

McGruber
20-07-2022, 09:37 PM

Have we not signed about 11 new players under LJ already? How many does he need to change the team up?

Cod Boy
20-07-2022, 09:37 PM
Big transfer money brought in for Boyle and Doig and our market is Rainbow FC cmon

The Harp Awakes
20-07-2022, 09:38 PM
When we appointed LJ I was underwhelmed. I hoped he would turn things around but I really couldn't see what he'd done to earn the Hibs job.

It's still early in the season, but in the games we've played against mediocre opposition, there doesn't look to be any improvement on last season. We are crying out for a leader in the middle of the pitch, but even though we've taken in £6m in transfers, we have failed so far to bring in that quality. How can the recruitment team not see what we need?

If the Manager is the fall guy early in the season, there has to be massive changes in the leadership at our Club. It's beginning to look like our custodians are a mob of rookies who haven't a clue what they are doing.

Stubbsy90+2
20-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Have we not signed about 11 new players under LJ already? How many does he need to change the team up?

He needs them in the right positions and he needs them to actually be good.

We’ve signed loads of players but we’ve neglected the midfield which was the most critical with us only signing a 19 year old with no first team experience who looks nowhere near ready to be playing this level. That’s on LJ who has come out and said he has no intention of signing anyone else for that area.

Jim44
20-07-2022, 09:40 PM
Did you explain why you think he is the root of all problems?

Makes crap decisions and is out of his depth.

Iain G
20-07-2022, 09:41 PM
Makes crap decisions and is out of his depth.

Such as...?

Pretty Boy
20-07-2022, 09:42 PM
Such as...?

Appointing Ben Kensell as CEO and his son as head of a failing recruitment team for starters.

WhileTheChief..
I don’t think that’s entirely accurate. He hasn’t got a clue how to appoint people to run a football club on the playing side.

Kensall is proving that he is switched on commercially with the new income generated for the club, but making a complete balls up of the playing side.

Not backing and then sacking Jack Ross is the biggest mistake the club has made since…**** knows when actually. When was the last time you could so clearly see how big a cock was made by the club?

We need a Director of Football.

Greg McEwan, our marketing guy that came from the R&A, is responsible for securing sponsorship deals surely? If not, what's his role?

He was interim CEO before we got BK. He should be made the permanent CEO.

McGruber
He needs them in the right positions and he needs them to actually be good.

We’ve signed loads of players but we’ve neglected the midfield which was the most critical with us only signing a 19 year old with no first team experience who looks nowhere near ready to be playing this level.

Yes I know, totally agree. Same with centre back.
It is him that hasn't signed the quality in the right positions so he has to be held accountable for it

GreenCastle
20-07-2022, 09:44 PM
I wouldn’t feel anywhere near as bad if we were in the same situation but had played well in the games, missed loads of chances, and just been undone by a couple of sucker punches in the two defeats.

It wasn’t like that though. Falkirk caused us a lot of problems, and though we did create a fair amount, it’s hard to argue that we were really hard done by.

Tonight was even worse. Did their keeper even have a save? Marshall had a very good one. Had we gone out but seen strong signs of the style of football that LJ has promised, a good pattern to our play with energy and tempo, that would be one thing.

Going out after abject performances with all of the new players looking way off what we need, is quite another.

Usually full of optimism at this point in the season. Feel as scunnered as I did at the end of the last one at the moment.

100% :agree:

I said I was annoyed / worried after 2nd half against Clyde - 5v0 up or not we were dreadful when the changes were made.

We need to get rid of players like Newell - the worry is I doubt we would bring in better - I don't trust them to recruit well.

I miss having a team that gave everything and weren't bullied - instead we have a group who look lost.

GreenCastle
20-07-2022, 09:45 PM

You could sign 100 players - it's quality over quantity we need.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2022, 09:46 PM
Very unfortunate to have had such a short pre season and a recruitment team who seem to sign players like it’s Football Manager than real life. Still not good enough, but if it comes down to him or the owners son losing their job in a few months then we know who the victim will be.

I don’t think the short pre season is any kind of mitigation. Same applies to Morton and Falkirk who could only dream of our resources, nice trip to the Algarve and so on.

I don’t think it’s all down to him though. We look like a collection of random players pulled from everywhere and anywhere which is what the recruitment policy is. And the thing that frustrates me most is that I don’t think we’re being tight or not spending. I just think the way we’re spending is the issue.

It’s going to be a hard season. We’re lacking all over the pitch and I don’t think there’s any kind of collective spirit, drive or determination amongst them.

Hibby Bairn
20-07-2022, 09:47 PM
Jeez. Imagine that lot at Parkhead, Ibrox or Tynecastle. They'll get battered.

Stuart93
20-07-2022, 09:48 PM
Appointing Ben Kensell as CEO and his son as head of a failing recruitment team for starters.

It’s the appointing of his son as head of the recruitment that’s been his strangest decision so far.

Barely anything released for the fans when he was appointed. No confirmation of what credentials he holds for the position. No clear identity to our signings either. Like a signing lottery, similar to how hearts were a few seasons ago.

He's here!
20-07-2022, 09:48 PM
I'm away on holiday and I knew when I tried to check the score and found .net locked to non members after a game against the mighty Morton it must have been an embarrassing night.

Johnson's taking the p*** with this cup 'campaign'. We need someone in who takes the role seriously. Time to cut our losses before the derby I reckon and stick Gray back in charge. I'd be relatively confident he would at least keep the score down.

Jones28
20-07-2022, 09:49 PM
Greg McEwan, our marketing guy that came from the R&A, is responsible for securing sponsorship deals surely? If not, what's his role?

He was interim CEO before we got BK. He should be made the permanent CEO.

I don’t know, but BK is also overseeing all the improvements on hospitality and the deals that have been made there too. You’d be churlish to deny him a crumb of credit there - an area that the club have neglected for a long time.

BoomtownHibees
20-07-2022, 09:50 PM
I'm away on holiday and I knew when I tried to check the score and found .net locked to non members after a game against the mighty Morton it must have been an embarrassing night.

Johnson's taking the p*** with this cup 'campaign'. We need someone in who takes the role seriously. Time to cut our losses before the derby I reckon and stick Gray back in charge. I'd be relatively confident he would at least keep the score down.

He played what was probably his strongest available team tonight. That’s the main worry

The Modfather
20-07-2022, 09:50 PM
We are Hearts under budge. Squandering millions and millions, churning through players and managers without ever addressing any of the actual issues or building a spine of the team.

Stuart93
20-07-2022, 09:51 PM
I don’t know, but BK is also overseeing all the improvements on hospitality and the deals that have been made there too. You’d be churlish to deny him a crumb of credit there - an area that the club have neglected for a long time.

You aren’t going to fill hospitality suites watching that ***** on the pitch.

Their eyes have been taken well and truly off the ball with regards to the playing side

Heisenberg
20-07-2022, 09:51 PM
We are Hearts under budge. Squandering millions and millions, churning through players and managers without ever addressing any of the actual issues or building a spine of the team.

Spot on.

loanheadhibby
20-07-2022, 09:52 PM
He lasted until February.......

And we lived to regret it. Duffy should have gone after 2 2 at Tynie.

LJ needs to hit ground running. Defeats to St Johnstone & Hearts are already unthinkable

Jones28
20-07-2022, 09:52 PM
You aren’t going to fill hospitality suites watching that ***** on the pitch.

Their eyes have been taken well and truly off the ball with regards to the playing side

Which is exactly my point. They can run a club overall but they need a football head for the football department

Hibs90
20-07-2022, 09:54 PM

Yup, move Kensell aside to do whatever he is good at.

Get someone who knows what they are doing in charge of football operations and punt Gordon Jr.

Pretty Boy

I've said it a million times but Hearts started getting it right with recruitment and on the park when they appointed a sporting director.

It's something the biggest clubs have, it's something plenty clubs about the same size as us have and a fair few smaller clubs have one as well.

It's a position that helps develop an identity and pulls the various diffuse areas of the football operation together. Going without one leads to the scattergun approach we seem to be seeing currently. Let BK concentrate on building restaurants, buy IG a copy of Football Manager and get a qualified person in to run the football department.

GreenCastle
Jeez. Imagine that lot at Parkhead, Ibrox or Tynecastle. They'll get battered.

Worryingly LJ said we may take a few batterings as we play attacking football.

This isn't going to end well if he takes a hammering in near future as he's got zero credit on the bank currently.

21sMay
20-07-2022, 09:55 PM
I don't actually blame Lee at all . Unfortunately there's a budget at every club , at the moment he is operating without Hanlon, mcgennis, neisbit ,youanne and the new lb. That is a massive portion of the wages made available.

I may be alone in this but I think the season will be a success overall. Midfielder ,center half and another still to arrive minimum

bigwheel
20-07-2022, 09:57 PM
I don't actually blame Lee at all . Unfortunately there's a budget at every club , at the moment he is operating without Hanlon, mcgennis, neisbit ,youanne and the new lb. That is a massive portion of the wages made available.

I may be alone in this but I think the season will be a success overall. Midfielder ,center half and another still to arrive minimum

That’s an optimistic view. We won’t know how this season will go until probably well into October…but there’s nothing we are seeing yet that suggests a positive season….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stuart93
20-07-2022, 10:00 PM
Which is exactly my point. They can run a club overall but they need a football head for the football department

Definitely think we need to bring in more brains in the football department.

Our own Joe Savage would help. Get the owners son to ****.

Jim44
20-07-2022, 10:00 PM
Such as...?

…. not to mention sacking Ross ( debatable but a wrong decision IMHO ) and replacing him with Maloney and now Johnson, who has a mountain to climb.

The Harp Awakes
20-07-2022, 10:02 PM
Worryingly LJ said we may take a few batterings as we play attacking football.

This isn't going to end well if he takes a hammering in near future as he's got zero credit on the bank currently.

He was in overdraft with the majority of Hibs fans when he was appointed. Still waiting to see the attacking football.

21sMay
20-07-2022, 10:06 PM
That’s an optimistic view. We won’t know how this season will go until probably well into October…but there’s nothing we are seeing yet that suggests a positive season….

I try not to look too much into a start to managerial careers , alot of the time you get the 'bounce' from a new manager and then not long after the managers sacked. On the other hand it can take some managers a few months to get things going and for some reason to which I can't explain ....I feel Lee will have us doing well before long

Carheenlea
20-07-2022, 10:06 PM

If anything good is to come out of this humiliating cup campaign it may be that the desire to address the central midfield void may be accelerated.

Right now I’m sensing it’s a case of league survival with this squad. Any new additions will need SPL experience and understand the league and it’s demands. No frills & reliable grafters.

HendoDelivered
20-07-2022, 10:11 PM
Some Post match comments from LJ. https://bit.ly/3cnrE8V

bigwheel
20-07-2022, 10:20 PM
I try not to look too much into a start to managerial careers , alot of the time you get the 'bounce' from a new manager and then not long after the managers sacked. On the other hand it can take some managers a few months to get things going and for some reason to which I can't explain ....I feel Lee will have us doing well before long

I recall worrying very early in the Mowbray era, after watching us get papped out of the inter toto in Vilnius and then a poor draw against ( I think ) Killie in the league. I went home thinking we are going to be crap this season..I couldn’t have been more wrong. I hope this season is the same..although I’m not getting Mowbray vibes from LJ at the moment….

SideBurns
20-07-2022, 10:21 PM
If anything good is to come out of this humiliating cup campaign it may be that the desire to address the central midfield void may be accelerated.

Right now I’m sensing it’s a case of league survival with this squad. Any new additions will need SPL experience and understand the league and it’s demands. No frills & reliable grafters.

If central midfield was the only problem (I agree it is a major one) then I could almost take some comfort from that. But the inadequacies are everywhere, and reliable grafters won't solve the lack of imagination and creativity that allowed Morton to take us to penalties tonight.

If their keeper hadn't dived in vain for Hendo's equaliser, he could've packed away his strip for next week without any need for a wash.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2022, 10:22 PM
I recall worrying very early in the Mowbray era, after watching us get papped out of the inter toto in Vilnius and then a poor draw against ( I think ) Killie in the league. I went home thinking we are going to be crap this season..I couldn’t have been more wrong. I hope this season is the same..although I’m not getting Mowbray vibes from LJ at the moment….

Killie beat us the first game of the season that year but we absolutely battered them. There was such a massive change in the way we played. Not seeing that at the moment, it’s just more huff and puff from the same players.

Stevie Reid
20-07-2022, 10:23 PM

We lost 1-0 to Killie but played them off the park and created loads of chances. I left that game disappointed but massively encouraged.

bigwheel
20-07-2022, 10:25 PM
We lost 1-0 to Killie but played them off the park and created loads of chances. I left that game disappointed but massively encouraged.

As I said, I didn’t. Was depressing…but equally, I misjudged it..and we had a really good season. I was more hoping this ends up similar…

SideBurns
20-07-2022, 10:26 PM

I have the same recollection of Mowbray's start, but he had the benefit of the 'Golden Generation' of Riordan, Brown etc coming of age (which he supplemented with some great signings, to give him credit). LJ has no such luck I'm afraid.

Stuart93
20-07-2022, 10:27 PM
As I said, I didn’t. Was depressing…but equally, I misjudged it..and we had a really good season. I was more hoping this ends up similar…

Haha, we can all hope. It’s a pity we don’t have the players to match that team.

Is It On....
20-07-2022, 10:30 PM
I've said it a million times but Hearts started getting it right with recruitment and on the park when they appointed a sporting director.

It's something the biggest clubs have, it's something plenty clubs about the same size as us have and a fair few smaller clubs have one as well.

It's a position that helps develop an identity and pulls the various diffuse areas of the football operation together. Going without one leads to the scattergun approach we seem to be seeing currently. Let BK concentrate on building restaurants, buy IG a copy of Football Manager and get a qualified person in to run the football department.

As bad as the situation is, it's actually a relatively quick fix and things can turn quickly. We went from the debacle of Butcher to proper recruitment strategy led by George Craig that saw us with players like McGinn and Allan at the start of the next season. Our neighbours replaced the ludicrous manager / chief scout / trusted agent combo with Savage and Lancefield (who worked at Brighton in their data analysis team) and improvements quickly followed. What Ron Gordon must do is move his son from his role in the recruitment department get someone who knows what they are doing. I was one who, for all the supposed shortcomings of Mathie, thought that our get better slowly strategy was generally working. Since he left, we have signed about 20 players (and had 3 managers) in 9 months. We need to let LJ settle in with his new squad but top priority has to be a new Head of Recruitment in time for the January window.

Sir David Gray
20-07-2022, 10:32 PM
Lee Johnson is definitely under pressure, any Hibs manager who fails to get the team to qualify from a group involving Morton, Falkirk, Clyde and Bonnyrigg will always be under pressure, add that onto the previous history that the board has in quickly firing the two previous managers and of course it's not hard to see that Johnson is now under pressure.

The problem for me is that nothing at Hibs will change under the current regime and structure. We have a Head of Recruitment who is only in post because he's the owner's son (despite the fact that we're supposed to believe that his title isn't actually all that important) and a CEO who can certainly thrash out a good sponsorship deal but who doesn't seem to have a clue how to run a football club in terms of on the park.

Until things fundamentally change at the club we'll be wasting our time changing the manager as nothing will change.

I don't trust the capabilities of the current regime and I am genuinely worried about the direction the club is heading in.

McGruber
20-07-2022, 10:53 PM

It's recruitment. Whilst that may not be all down to Johnson he is on record to say he has final say and the manager carries the can. So for me I do blame Lee.

As you say every club has a budget - the Hibs budget this year has been substantial in relation to the majority of other teams in the league.

With his substantial budget he was tasked, among other things, with filling the void at centre back and centre midfield - and giving the team some leaders and a strong spine. Mission failed. Budget spent on kids of the future.

I'm not as hopeful as you are we will see many or any more signings either. Possibly this mystery centre back but have been saying that since Ross

J-C
21-07-2022, 06:07 AM
They've went down the potential route recruitment wise, that'll work only if you already have a spine of the team with loads of experience or good players, we have a spine which includes Porteous who thinks he can play at a higher level so won't sign a new deal, even though he's a Hibs man, still making errors. A CM who is a show pony and turns up whenever he can be arsed which is about 1 in 10 games and a CF who's slower than a week in Saughton who only scored if it hits his arse of knee. Marshall is the only part of that spine who gets pass marks.

Libby Hibby
21-07-2022, 06:41 AM

Did you not post earlier that you expected a midfielder in midweek, is it still on the cards?

Nicho87
21-07-2022, 06:45 AM
Lj needs to show some more passion an urgency

Too lacklustre and accepting

Libby Hibby
21-07-2022, 06:50 AM

100%. His body language is way off.

flash
21-07-2022, 06:58 AM

Random word generator stuff this. He has made changes at half time in almost every game now to try and change things.

Hardly the actions of someone "accepting" what they are seeing.

We were poor last night and there's a massive question hanging over the club regarding recruitment but chasing the manager out the door already is utterly ludicrous.

We have taken in millions recently without anything like the required amount of reinvestment in the first team and am not sure that's down to the manager.

Massive few weeks coming up before the window closes with movement both in and out needed.

I won't name individual players as there's enough vitriol around already but the problem with keeping substandard players around the club is that they are only ever an injury or two away from getting back in the team.

Having said that the manager is far from blameless in all this in my opinion.

Surely the likes of Tait and Delferriere should have been given a try before now and last night Oscar McIntyre should have started at left back instead of shifting Cadden and completely negating what he gives us every week.

We need two centre halfs and a quality midfielder in without any fannying around and we need them now.

itslegaltender
21-07-2022, 08:04 AM
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if news came out he had gone already. We are watching a car crash in slow motion here. Take a step back and look at that team. Players who have underperformed last season and a half at Hibs and Players in who were reserve team and lower league fodder.

This season is shaping up to be brutal.

BS44
21-07-2022, 08:06 AM

I didn't even notice him on the park.

B.H.F.C
21-07-2022, 08:11 AM
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if news came out he had gone already. We are watching a car crash in slow motion here. Take a step back and look at that team. Players who have underperformed last season and a half at Hibs and Players in who were reserve team and lower league fodder.

This season is shaping up to be brutal.

The players who remain are a far bigger problem IMO. Have been saying it all summer that our biggest problem was some of the absolute garbage we have tied up on long term deals.

We’d have been far better served getting in half the number of players we have but ones who would replace the likes of Newell, not be asked to play with them. Bringing in a collection of players from all world and asking them to play with some of the core players we have isn’t going to work. We needed to create a new spine and take it from there.

Mikey_1875
21-07-2022, 08:15 AM
Surely the likes of Tait and Delferriere should have been given a try before now and last night Oscar McIntyre should have started at left back instead of shifting Cadden and completely negating what he gives us every week.

We need two centre halfs and a quality midfielder in without any fannying around and we need them now.

Thought the second half would have been ideal to swap Tait for Kenneh as a player (with at least the reputation for) getting his foot on the ball and starting attacks would have been a big help.

I wondered what Macintyre must have been thinking as Campbell was brought on to fill in at LB but then it was maybe for the best considering the jeers at the end.