PDA

View Full Version : Lee Johnson

Pages : [1] 2

Ozyhibby
12-07-2022, 08:47 PM
Looking like another dud manager if he is going to keep playing Newall and Campbell. The fact that he hasn’t brought in a proven midfielder tells me he is going to fail badly, just like Maloney did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH81
12-07-2022, 08:52 PM
His interview was honest.

He said he was bored watching that. Me too first half.

JohnM1875
12-07-2022, 08:52 PM
Way way to early to call him a dud. But a few complaints the Sunderland fans made about him is he takes credit when it's good and throws players under the bus when we lose.

Thought he kinda did that post match there.

SlickShoes
12-07-2022, 08:55 PM
I would say this thread and some of the comments I have read tonight are unbelievable but they aren't, it's all too common now to just get the manager hounded out as quick as possible. What chance do they have beyond winning every single game?

Stubbsy90+2
12-07-2022, 08:57 PM
Our last manager was hounded after about 4 games.

By that point he’d won 3 and lost at Celtic Park. We’ve just had our worst result in a good few years tonight. This result simply has to make him realise how far off it we still are.

Ozyhibby
12-07-2022, 08:57 PM
I would say this thread and some of the comments I have read tonight are unbelievable but they aren't, it's all too common now to just get the manager hounded out as quick as possible. What chance do they have beyond winning every single game?

He could give himself half a chance by getting a midfield.

Since452
12-07-2022, 08:58 PM
Agreed with his interview. Let's see how we react on Sunday. Pissed off he didn't play his strongest team though. These aren't friendlies.

ancient hibee
He picked a terrible team-a cardinal sin.

Glasgowhibby95
Far too early to be labelling Johnson a dud. Needs more time to bring in more of his own players and identify his best 11.

HendoDelivered
Looking like another dud manager if he is going to keep playing Newall and Campbell. The fact that he hasn’t brought in a proven midfielder tells me he is going to fail badly, just like Maloney did.

It’s “Newell” btw :aok:

GreenCastle
12-07-2022, 09:03 PM

At least beat a part time team.

Wrong team selection in several ways.
Questionable subs.

truehibernian
Did he not say he’d done his research on the club and watched games last season ?

Clearly didn’t see how utterly dreadful a midfield we had - sorry have - in Joe Newell, Doyle-Hayes and Josh Campbell. Minute I saw the team sheet I knew we’d be over run and out fought in midfield, on a sticky pitch, with three players who don’t break into a jog.

Club should be working hard to move on all three.

Broxburn Greens
Really? A terrible result tonight but hardly a sacking offence in isolation.

Picked a weaker team probably thinking we’d just run over the top of them, he’ll hopefully learn from that. Tonight will have taught him a lot about playing lower league opposition in cups.

We’ll still make the next stage but a resounding victory is required against Bonnyrigg to put this behind him.

Unseen work
12-07-2022, 09:04 PM
He was using today to see more of some players and get them minutes.

Starting team and the subs made.

He’ll have learned a lot and said as much in his post game interview.

There will be new faces in and a fair few leaving.

Heisenberg
12-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Way way to early to call him a dud. But a few complaints the Sunderland fans made about him is he takes credit when it's good and throws players under the bus when we lose.

Thought he kinda did that post match there.

Think this group of players more than deserve that. Too long they had Maloney and Ross standing up for them in public when they didn’t deserve it.

matty_f
12-07-2022, 09:06 PM
I honestly wish we could put posters under the pressure that they try to put the manager under. One terrible 45 minutes and he's getting called a dud.

This is the sort of rubbish that is slowly but surely ruining watching Hibs, there's no margin for error at all, one defeat and we've got a ***** thread asking if he's under pressure and another calling him a dud.

Get that so far to ****.

MrSmith
12-07-2022, 09:07 PM
Did he not say he’d done his research on the club and watched games last season ?

Clearly didn’t see how utterly dreadful a midfield we had - sorry have - in Joe Newell, Doyle-Hayes and Josh Campbell. Minute I saw the team sheet I knew we’d be over run and out fought in midfield, on a sticky pitch, with three players who don’t break into a jog.

Totally agree! Those three are awful and everything that is wrong with us. I was shouting from the roof tops last year and the year before for that matter, that it was urgent we get two commanding midfielders. If I can see it, others can see it, what the F! is going on with the coaches. Absolutely dreadful midfield that creates and provides nothing.

WhileTheChief..
12-07-2022, 09:07 PM
Really poor from him tonight. He needs to get up to speed quickly.

Didn't sound convincing at all.

HIBS NUTS
12-07-2022, 09:08 PM
He picked a terrible team-a cardinal sin.

He picked last years team, he has found out early, that some of them can’t play his system, i’m looking forward to the new players coming in.

GreenCastle
12-07-2022, 09:08 PM

Picked a weaker team probably thinking we’d just run over the top of them, he’ll hopefully learn from that. Tonight will have taught him a lot about playing lower league opposition in cups.

We’ll still make the next stage but a resounding victory is required against Bonnyrigg to put this behind him.

Hibs aren’t good enough to rotate - we don’t have the depth.

This was a proper game - our season started Saturday.

Get knocked out league cup and that’s also a target missed. (Getting knocked out in group stages is definitely under performing).

Vault Boy
12-07-2022, 09:09 PM
There are ways to discuss the new manager’s decision making after a poor loss like that - but calling him a dud after our second competitive match, playing a rotated side with half a team missing isn’t one of them.

loanheadhibby
12-07-2022, 09:10 PM
Strike one for Lee already. 2 games in and he’s put himself under a wee bit pressure. Obviously underestimated Falkirk tonight.

Since452
I'd rather he found out now that he can't rely on players that helped get two managers the sack, some of them more than that. The team will be much different for the St Johnstone game.

delbert
There are ways to discuss the new manager’s decision making after a poor loss like that - but calling him a dud after our second competitive match, playing a rotated side with half a team missing isn’t one of them.

I would have a lot more confidence in him if he would do what countless managers before him haven’t done, go out a sign two or three players who have an actual spine !

04Sauzee
12-07-2022, 09:11 PM
I haven't missed threads like this

GreenCastle
I honestly wish we could put posters under the pressure that they try to put the manager under. One terrible 45 minutes and he's getting called a dud.

This is the sort of rubbish that is slowly but surely ruining watching Hibs, there's no margin for error at all, one defeat and we've got a ***** thread asking if he's under pressure and another calling him a dud.

Get that so far to ****.

2nd half v Clyde - 45 mins

Tonight against a part time team full of ex Hibs and Hearts rejects - 90 mins.

The team / players / club full deserve criticism for tonight- while it wasn’t Brora it was embarrassing.

GreenGray
Calling Another dud manager after 2 competitive games which are this early in the season, give me strength I hate hibs fans sometimes

Stanton Spence
12-07-2022, 09:12 PM

Get that so far to ****.Couldn't have put it better myself
I was tempted to say I can't believe half of the reactions but it's now the norm

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

chrisski33
See alot of the LJ doubters are starting to crawl out and spouting cr@p hes a dud. Result was embarrassing but he will have learnt from it.

Leith Green
Doesnt take a genius to work out that the very same midfield 3 from last season doesnt work. We desperately need quality signed alongside kenneh. For me it’s obvious that Newell , doyle hayes , and especially campbell are not good enough to be playing for Hibs. Maybe get away with 1 of them playing alongside 2 proper midfielders, but playing the 3 of them together and expecting anything positive to come of it is just crazy.

WhileTheChief..

Get that so far to ****.

Got a view on tonight's game or just popped in to have a go at some posters on here?!:greengrin

Ray Donovan
12-07-2022, 09:13 PM
Certainly a bad result but anyone calling for his head needs to go for a lie down. It's not even the middle of July.

LunasBoots
Needs new experienced players in midfield too freshen it up, ideally not the current lot and untried youngsters we've signed.

CB Hibs 68
Way to early to call him out.That performance and the contribution or lack of by certain players needs to be addressed.

Steve20
12-07-2022, 09:14 PM
You can’t be calling a manager a dud already. It’s just silly.

That was a shocking result tonight but you can’t call a manager a dud after every shocking result. Mowbray is hugely thought of by our fan base but lost 4-0,4-1 and 4-0 in the same season to our rivals. So should he have been sacked after those games??

If he learns from this (and step one is NEVER play JDH and Newell in the same line up), then give him time.

You just can’t call a manager a did after two games.

Baader
12-07-2022, 09:14 PM
How many goals and assists will you get out of Newell, JDH and Campbell over a season I wonder? There will be individual midfield players in our league who will likely hit better stats for both than those three combined.

If they made us hard to beat by being good defensively that would compensate a bit but they don't.

truehibernian
12-07-2022, 09:15 PM

Get that so far to ****.

He’s not under pressure Matty, but anyone coming in playing that trio in midfield together clearly hasn’t watched a lot of last season - they do not work together, at all. Tonight wasn’t an experiment, it was a competitive game in a cup we should be looking to win. That team selection was very poor and I’m worried he sees a player in Campbell in particular. Newell and JDH in a midfield is literally like placing two cones on the ground, several metres apart 😂

Stubbs had a shaky start, I’m sure Lee will have ups and downs. But playing that three tonight is an alarm bell for me. Those three should never be in the same midfield again, ever. They don’t work and it’s so utterly obvious.

JohnM1875
12-07-2022, 09:18 PM
Think this group of players more than deserve that. Too long they had Maloney and Ross standing up for them in public when they didn’t deserve it.

Don't even disagree with giving the players a roasting. But the fact he even mentioned the starting XI, which to me means he knows it was a mistake, without taking blame for that being a huge factor in the loss is all I meant.

Leith Green
12-07-2022, 09:18 PM
Im actually really pissed off with the club just now. 2 windows consecutively we are signing laddies to play development football instead of focusing on the glaringly obvious lack of a midfield in iur first team. Forget about managers , lets sort the recruitment out and give the guy a chance. What the hell have our recruitment team been watching these past 12 months

loanheadhibby
12-07-2022, 09:19 PM
Calling Another dud manager after 2 competitive games which are this early in the season, give me strength I hate hibs fans sometimes

Mate, I’m certainly not calling him a dud however this is a big job he’s got. If things don’t go his way, he’ll get slaughtered. It’s just how it is. If he’s not getting pelters from here, he’ll soon find out about the pressure via press/social media.

We’re Hibs and deserve the best. And if we don’t get the best, it should be called out.

matty_f
12-07-2022, 09:19 PM

The team / players / club full deserve criticism for tonight- while it wasn’t Brora it was embarrassing.

We were 5-0 up ffs

matty_f
12-07-2022, 09:20 PM
Got a view on tonight's game or just popped in to have a go at some posters on here?!:greengrin

Tonight was awful. First half was as bad as anything we saw last season. Second half was a bit better and we were unlucky not to score but ultimately both teams got what they deserved out of the game

HoboHarry
12-07-2022, 09:22 PM

You really do post some garbage.

Jim44

Is it not just the winner of the group that qualifies? If so, Falkirk are favourites as they’ll win all their games now.

Stubbsy90+2

Get that so far to ****.

One terrible 45 minutes? Your internet must be catching up from the Clyde game.

I feel for you.. Wait till you watch the Falkirk game.

GreenCastle
12-07-2022, 09:23 PM
We were 5-0 up ffs

Yes I know.

But the 2nd half was poor - you can’t argue against that.

Bad habits and all that..

Thinking about the team and spine.

If Porto leaves we are in big trouble but he still needs somone decent to play next to.

Central Midfield is a mess. It’s been an issue for too long and if we don’t sign starters and improve that area we will get over run.

Yes Kenneh has been signed but we need x2 others desperately who will start games.

jeffers
12-07-2022, 09:24 PM
Tbf to the OP he said he’s looking like a dud if he continues to play Newell and Campbell, add in JDH too. Hard to argue with that. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he hadn’t seen them all play together last season the point is he kept them all on for the whole game.

Scotty Leither

He’ll not be allowed to, unless they fit the following criteria: a) no fee is payable b) are “promising” and might be sold on for a profit c) we’ve all got to be “patient” to see if they come good.

Diclonius
I honestly have no words. This thread is pathetic.

Stubbsy90+2
12-07-2022, 09:25 PM
You really do post some garbage.

What part of it is garbage?

The midfield is terrible. He persisted with it.

We’ve brought in one guy with no first team experience to fix it. If we don’t add more then we’re screwed. I’m not sure how any of that can reasonably be argued with.

GreenGray
Mate, I’m certainly not calling him a dud however this is a big job he’s got. If things don’t go his way, he’ll get slaughtered. It’s just how it is. If he’s not getting pelters from here, he’ll soon find out about the pressure via press/social media.

We’re Hibs and deserve the best. And if we don’t get the best, it should be called out.

And I don’t disagree with you on those points, but the ones calling him a dud should be embarrassed.

I swear some hibs fans would rather get the chance to say “I told you so” rather than the team doing well.

Stubbsy90+2
Tbf to the OP he said he’s looking like a dud if he continues to play Newell and Campbell, add in JDH too. Hard to argue with that. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he hadn’t seen them all play together last season the point is he kept them all on for the whole game.

:agree:

MWHIBBIES
12-07-2022, 09:26 PM
Newell and Campbell were no worse than Lewis, McGeady, Hauge, Miller and McCelland. Lewis especially was murder.

Easy targets, though, which in a way they've earned.

greenlad
12-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Is it not just the winner of the group that qualifies? If so, Falkirk are favourites as they’ll win all their games now.

8 Group winners and the 3 group runners up with most points. Assuming Falkirk beat Bonnyrigg and Clyde they'll be on 11pts and the most Hibs can do is 9.

If just 3 second place teams hit 10pts then Hibs are out

Stuart93
12-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Newell and Campbell were no worse than Lewis, McGeady, Hauge, Miller and McCelland. Lewis especially was murder.

Easy targets, though, which in a way they've earned.

At say at least the latter were actually involved in parts. Newell and campbell done absolutely nothing, all night

loanheadhibby
12-07-2022, 09:30 PM
I honestly have no words. This thread is pathetic.

To be fair, losing to Falkirk is pathetic also.

The Captain....
12-07-2022, 09:31 PM
It's what he learns from tonight and puts into action that will determine if he's a dud or not.

He has to put pressure on the club to bring in proven quality in midfield and get shot of Newell (for starters).

I'm ****ing sick of watching the same players continuously under performing and there being no consequences. They've seen off a few.managers now...get them to **** out the club even if it means paying up their contracts...which won't be cheap thanks to the mystfying decision to reward failure.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

hhibs
12-07-2022, 09:36 PM
It's what he learns from tonight and puts into action that will determine if he's a dud or not.

He has to put pressure on the club to bring in proven quality in midfield and get shot of Newell (for starters).

I'm ****ing sick of watching the same players continuously under performing and there being no consequences. They've seen off a few.managers now...get them to **** out the club even if it means paying up their contracts...which won't be cheap thanks to the mystfying decision to reward failure.

Well put Sir, you are absolutely correct.

GreenCastle
12-07-2022, 09:36 PM

10 players who finished the game tonight played last season.

Then we wonder why it looks the same as last season.

Not sure why he took of McGeady.

ehf
12-07-2022, 09:38 PM
What part of it is garbage?

The midfield is terrible. He persisted with it.

We’ve brought in one guy with no first team experience to fix it. If we don’t add more then we’re screwed. I’m not sure how any of that can reasonably be argued with.

Nicely put; utterly staggering that we seem to be stuck with that woeful midfield trio.

18Craig75
12-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Ffs give it a rest. 4 of our new signings not even in the squad due to matters outwith our hands.

He would have learnt far more in the first 45 tonight than he did in the first 45 on Saturday.

How can the manager be blamed for Doidge’s 2 sitters tonight? 2 new strikers signed, both unavailable & Nisbet injured. He didn’t bungle a contract that now means we have a huddy playing CB.

PaulSmith
12-07-2022, 09:40 PM
LJ isn’t a dud, far far from it and I think he’ll do brilliantly for us. However, and is a big f’n however, unless he bins Rocky, KD, Josh Campbell, JDH, Haugue, Doidge and Newell either completely or from the starting x1 then he’ll go the same way as everyone else.

HIBS NUTS
12-07-2022, 09:41 PM
Ffs give it a rest. 4 of our new signings not even in the squad due to matters outwith our hands.

He would have learnt far more in the first 45 tonight than he did in the first 45 on Saturday.

How can the manager be blamed for Doidge’s 2 sitters tonight? 2 new strikers signed, both unavailable & Nisbet injured. He didn’t bungle a contract that now means we have a huddy playing CB.

Agree 100 percent.

HIBS NUTS
12-07-2022, 09:42 PM
LJ isn’t a dud, far far from it and I think he’ll do brilliantly for us. However, and is a big f’n however, unless he bins Rocky, KD, Josh Campbell, JDH, Haugue, Doidge and Newell either completely or from the starting x1 then he’ll go the same way as everyone else.

i’m sure he’s learned a lot tonight.👍🏻

PaulSmith
12-07-2022, 09:43 PM

He, no one else, choose to play that huddy tonight. He also choose to play Doidge up front on his own.

They weren’t good decisions.

May21/05/16
12-07-2022, 09:48 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHarsh

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
12-07-2022, 09:56 PM
Harsh

My patience is wearing very thin with managers who play that midfield. It’s bloody awful and he should have worked that out by now. Tonight could be enough to knock us out the cup. He put out a weak line up and it’s cost us. Hopefully he starts taking the job seriously now.
If he doesn’t bring in a centre mid then he’ll fail. He’s not a dud yet but if he doesn’t fix that midfield then that’s the way he is heading.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2022, 09:59 PM
8 Group winners and the 3 group runners up with most points. Assuming Falkirk beat Bonnyrigg and Clyde they'll be on 11pts and the most Hibs can do is 9.

If just 3 second place teams hit 10pts then Hibs are out

Based on last season 9 points with a goal difference of +6 (which is what we would be on at least if we win our last two games) would have been enough to win 3 of the groups and out of the other 5 groups we would have finished as one of the best runners up.

greenlad
12-07-2022, 10:03 PM
Based on last season 9 points with a goal difference of +6 (which is what we would be on at least if we win our last two games) would have been enough to win 3 of the groups and out of the other 5 groups we would have finished as one of the best runners up.

Yes,checked back to 2016 when the group format started. In general, 9pts with a decent GD is usually enough to qualify.

Tonight's result has opened up the possibility of freak results in the other groups doing us over and Hibs being able to do nothing about it however.

H18 SFR
12-07-2022, 10:04 PM
If we fail to get out this group it is an absolute disgrace.

B.H.F.C
12-07-2022, 10:12 PM
We will see what LJ is about now. It’s all been nice and positive and quite comfortable so far.

He should never be starting Newell, Campbell and JDH in the same team. If he hasn’t learnt that he won’t last.

League is only a couple of weeks away and we didn’t look anywhere near ready tonight. Left back, centre half and central midfielder required. Not squad fillers and not players who might be available months down the line.

WhileTheChief..
12-07-2022, 10:14 PM
Tonight was awful. First half was as bad as anything we saw last season. Second half was a bit better and we were unlucky not to score but ultimately both teams got what they deserved out of the game

Agreed.

Huge improvement all round needed.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2022, 10:17 PM
Yes,checked back to 2016 when the group format started. In general, 9pts with a decent GD is usually enough to qualify.

Tonight's result has opened up the possibility of freak results in the other groups doing us over and Hibs being able to do nothing about it however.

Only caveat there is that up until last season there were 4 runners up that qualified for the last 16 and now it's just 3 runners up due to the extra European place given to Scotland.

Being seeded is now almost certainly gone and finishing top is also out of our hands now.

So as much as it would be nice to finish top there's no real difference between us topping the group and finishing second, as long as we finish as one of the three best runners up.

I think two wins v Bonnyrigg and Morton would be enough so hopefully we can do that and then get a favourable draw against one of the seeded sides in the last 16.

The Harp Awakes
12-07-2022, 10:17 PM
Doesnt take a genius to work out that the very same midfield 3 from last season doesnt work. We desperately need quality signed alongside kenneh. For me it’s obvious that Newell , doyle hayes , and especially campbell are not good enough to be playing for Hibs. Maybe get away with 1 of them playing alongside 2 proper midfielders, but playing the 3 of them together and expecting anything positive to come of it is just crazy.

Nail on the head there.

Campbell should have already been loaned to a lower league team this season. For him to be feature regularly last season the lad must have some talent, but has repeatedly not shown it. Maybe it's a confidence problem, but his contribution in games has been virtually non-existent.

Newell is a squad player at best. JDH, I actually rate, who could do much better for us in a more balanced midfield.

Playing the 3 of them in midfield in a game v a Div 1 team is just madness, as is not seeing the problem during the game and failing to sub any of them.

Just as mad is calling for the Manager to go after 1 game however. Like a lot of Hibs fans I was lukewarm when he was appointed. However, we need to get behind him and give the guy a chance. You've just got to hope he learns quickly from the mistakes he made tonight, in the selection of first 11 and his use of subs.

Basildon Hibs
12-07-2022, 10:18 PM
Agreed.

Huge improvement all round needed.

Soft as ***** in midfield - have been for years. Why the hell can't we appoint a manager who sees this??

🤣🤣

SRHibs
12-07-2022, 10:19 PM

Everything is so reactionary. After the 5-0 Clyde game people are talking as if everything is fixed, then a complete 180 tonight. Maybe it's time to start judging managers over the long haul.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2022, 10:20 PM
We will see what LJ is about now. It’s all been nice and positive and quite comfortable so far.

He should never be starting Newell, Campbell and JDH in the same team. If he hasn’t learnt that he won’t last.

League is only a couple of weeks away and we didn’t look anywhere near ready tonight. Left back, centre half and central midfielder required. Not squad fillers and not players who might be available months down the line.

I've been saying for weeks that we still need 3 or 4 signings to come in as first team ready players and tonight just confirms my thoughts on that matter.

I realise we have a few players to come in once work permits are sorted out but I still think we are lacking in several areas.

Scotty Leither
12-07-2022, 10:34 PM
I've been saying for weeks that we still need 3 or 4 signings to come in as first team ready players and tonight just confirms my thoughts on that matter.

I realise we have a few players to come in once work permits are sorted out but I still think we are lacking in several areas.

I’m pissed off with Hibs never being “ready” be that for a European campaign, or even something as prosaic as a league cup tie against a third division team.

This Board are close to taking the piss with the shortcomings of the squad when you consider the money that has poured into the club since January.

Now the latest issue is work permit delays which means they’ll be needing games to get up to speed, when we’re facing two very hard home games to start the league campaign.

Sick of the excuses, we style ourselves as one of the biggest clubs in Scotland yet there always seems to be external “problems” with putting a decent team on the park that’s never the club’s doing.

heid the baw
12-07-2022, 10:43 PM
We've not had a poor cup result.against lower league opposition for a good while. These results happen to all teams.
I agree about the team selection. Of the group matches, this was the tricky away tie against experienced opposition on a plastic pitch. Play your best centre half and keeper along with Hoff and Henderson. If you win the game then tinker in the next 2 and give players game time. Plus there is still a friendly to come.
Hopefully no harm done. We were unlucky 2nd half not to score with woodwork and goal line clearances

WhileTheChief..
12-07-2022, 10:45 PM
Soft as ***** in midfield - have been for years. Why the hell can't we appoint a manager who sees this??

🤣🤣

I’m hoping LJ does see it.

I don’t believe that our recruitment is down to our managers though. It’s too much of a coincidence that we keep going for youngsters ‘with potential’. The focus appears to be on future sell on value over anything else.

LJ seems like a nice guy. I can’t see him putting his foot down or rocking any boats, so he’ll go with what he gets. I accept there will be the odd player or two that he wants but in the main, nah.

I’ve zero faith in Kensall or Ian Gordon to get things right. The transfer window so far has been identical to the last 2 and we’re playing with largely the same first team as we did 2 years ago. Says it all about our signing policy.

Anyways, we’ve got a few weeks to try and sort it out so fingers crossed that we do.

Scotty Leither
12-07-2022, 10:46 PM
Everything is so reactionary. After the 5-0 Clyde game people are talking as if everything is fixed, then a complete 180 tonight. Maybe it's time to start judging managers over the long haul.

Nobody said everything was “fixed” after the Clyde game.

They were piss poor opposition and I personally watched the game to see how the new players did. The laddie Kenneth looks like he can put a tackle in, yet his distribution looked average. Miller came on and did nothing startling and continued that onto tonight where first half he was awful both offensively and defensive and was rightly hooked at half time.

If the club build these players up like they did with Mueller, and they turn out to be no better than who they’ve replaced, then they’re going to catch harsh criticism even after only a couple of games and an awful result like tonight.

I’m sick of the manifestly scatter gun bargain buys, and it’s not unreasonable to expect a chunk of the Boyle and Doig money to be spent on decent signings that’ll go straight in the first team; replace the worst Hibs midfield I’ve seen in a long time, and maybe just look like the club have an idea of what they’re about with recruitment, as the “data experts” headed up by Ian Gordon currently look like they couldn’t spot a proper Hibs player that the support can identify with if they tried.

He's here!
12-07-2022, 10:59 PM

Obviously nobody's expecting LJ to win every game but surely it's not 'unbelievable' that he's getting flak for losing (deservedly) to a League 1 side?

SlickShoes
12-07-2022, 11:00 PM
I’m hoping LJ does see it.

I don’t believe that our recruitment is down to our managers though. It’s too much of a coincidence that we keep going for youngsters ‘with potential’. The focus appears to be on future sell on value over anything else.

LJ seems like a nice guy. I can’t see him putting his foot down or rocking any boats, so he’ll go with what he gets. I accept there will be the odd player or two that he wants but in the main, nah.

I’ve zero faith in Kensall or Ian Gordon to get things right. The transfer window so far has been identical to the last 2 and we’re playing with largely the same first team as we did 2 years ago. Says it all about our signing policy.

Anyways, we’ve got a few weeks to try and sort it out so fingers crossed that we do.

Classic you.

SlickShoes
12-07-2022, 11:01 PM
Obviously nobody's expecting LJ to win every game but surely it's not 'unbelievable' that he's getting flak for losing (deservedly) to a League 1 side?

Folk are saying his job is at risk, after 1 defeat.

neil7908
12-07-2022, 11:07 PM
A bit of a reality check after some folk were getting carried away with winning a couple of friendlies and beating a terrible Clyde team.

Manager should absolutely not be under any pressure but he needs to learn quickly what players he can rely on. And as much as I understand we want to support our own, we also need to be honest that players like Rocky, Campbell and Dubrovski aren't good enough. We aren't charity and need to be a wee bit more ruthless at times.

And players like Newell, Lewis, McLelland and JDH have massive question marks over them.

For me we are still a CB, an LB and x2 CMs away from being ready.

With Boyle and Doig going for nearly £6m we should have plenty of cash. Aberdeen have spent £1.4m already. Let's show a bit of ambition and bring in some real quality.

B.H.F.C
12-07-2022, 11:17 PM
A bit of a reality check after some folk were getting carried away with winning a couple of friendlies and beating a terrible Clyde team.

Manager should absolutely not be under any pressure but he needs to learn quickly what players he can rely on. And as much as I understand we want to support our own, we also need to be honest that players like Rocky, Campbell and Dubrovski aren't good enough. We aren't charity and need to be a wee bit more ruthless at times.

And players like Newell, Lewis, McLelland and JDH have massive question marks over them.

For me we are still a CB, an LB and x2 CMs away from being ready.

With Boyle and Doig going for nearly £6m we should have plenty of cash. Aberdeen have spent £1.4m already. Let's show a bit of ambition and bring in some real quality.

Agree with your first paragraph in particular.

Based on those games he was all of a sudden going to transform all the players who were only poor last year because of the manager, apparently. It not going to be the case. He might get a bit more out of them individually but as a collective we can’t continue to go with the same players who have got two managers the sack already.

Obviously he shouldn’t be under any pressure but I thought we looked a long way from having fixed our problems tonight. I hope he learns from it and gets the fixes in place in time for the league starting.

Greenio
12-07-2022, 11:21 PM
Laughable thread tbf.

Stuart93
12-07-2022, 11:25 PM
The result was unfortunate. First opportunity for a lot of people and a big travelling support to see LJ’s hibs team for the first time, unfortunately they served them up much of the same as last season.

There’s obviously no pressure on him but that’ll dent the confidence that’s being growing amongst fans

Unfortunately there was a same old hibs feeling about the result

SMAXXA
12-07-2022, 11:26 PM

What a pishy post after 2 games in charge, have a word.

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-07-2022, 11:28 PM

Mind put your Tena on before bed the night, Jesus wept. Aye it was rank but Jesus **** calm down

Stuart93
12-07-2022, 11:34 PM
What a pishy post after 2 games in charge, have a word.

Quite unreal

2nd competitive game n he’s a dud 🤣

Carheenlea
12-07-2022, 11:34 PM
A lot of posters are suggesting that Lee Johnson will have learned a lot from tonight.
The supporters haven’t, and could have told him on day 1 what he must surely see right now.

The red tape surrounding some of our new players awaiting clearance is taking a ridiculous time and the sooner that is resolved the better, but hopefully we will see some of the problem areas (and problem players) addressed.

The pattern looks similar to before - we can look a good side if we get ahead first, but concede first and we don’t have the players to dig us out of the hole and turn games around. Obviously tonight’s starting line up was predominantly last seasons side.

Ozyhibby
12-07-2022, 11:59 PM
Quite unreal

2nd competitive game n he’s a dud [emoji1787]

Who said he was a dud?

matty_f
13-07-2022, 12:14 AM
The result was unfortunate. First opportunity for a lot of people and a big travelling support to see LJ’s hibs team for the first time, unfortunately they served them up much of the same as last season.

There’s obviously no pressure on him but that’ll dent the confidence that’s being growing amongst fans

Unfortunately there was a same old hibs feeling about the result

:agree: Good post.

Hibee Mac
13-07-2022, 12:53 AM
Are people being serious with the criticism already? We've played 2 competitive games FFS. This thread and the others are proper embarrassing.

ddoc
13-07-2022, 02:10 AM
IMO the problem, stating the obvious, is not only the result but the manner it came about. I am sure not many Hibs supporters expected us to lose against Falkirk, so the knee jerk reaction is to look for someone to blame.
As many have pointed out, the League Cup is one of two competitions we can potentially win, so we expect it to be taken seriously.
If it was treated as just another pre-season run out then that has seriously back-fired. You would think that LJ would be aware, or it would have been communicated to him, that the lower league teams are generally well up for games against premier league teams in the cup and are keen as mustard to take our scalp.
The game plan should have been to do the same as we done in the first game, put the result to bed, then tinker with team format etc after you have achieved this. So he should have fielded a stronger starting 11 than he did.
LJ has just poured fuel on the fire for many on this site by that abysmal performance, but, as it has been pointed out by others, it may be a saving grace that it has happened now as our short-comings must be glaringly obvious to him, if they were not already.

RIP
13-07-2022, 05:29 AM
I would have been a lot more impressed with Lee Johnston if he had put out the same attacking line up that started the Clyde game.

Rangers or Celtic away, I’d expect our manager to play with one striker.

But against Falkirk? Really? That’s what we can expect in a cup match?

A wrong call from yet another manager seemingly unwilling to shoulder the blame.

Since452
13-07-2022, 05:43 AM
The second half was like night and day. The attitude was completely different. We went from treating it like a friendly in the first half and thinking we could just turn up to actually competing. I want us to start that way against Bonnyrigg and Morton. I think everyone completely underestimated McGlynn and Falkirk. Huge lesson learned hopefully.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 05:44 AM
I would have been a lot more impressed with Lee Johnston if he had put out the same attacking line up that started the Clyde game.

Rangers or Celtic away, I’d expect our manager to play with one striker.

But against Falkirk? Really? That’s what we can expect in a cup match?

A wrong call from yet another manager seemingly unwilling to shoulder the blame.

Mental folk still think one striker is less attacking than 2.

You do realise Celtic and Rangers play 1 striker right?

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 05:49 AM

Some folk are utter clueless so it’s not a surprise only need to read this forum tonight to illustrate that

The Baldmans Comb
13-07-2022, 06:07 AM
Still livid with the arrogance and disrespect Johnson shows towards Scottish football by completely underestimating the challenge a brand new Falkirk side would bring under McGlyn including two ex Hibs players.

His post match interview just confirmed that he hasn't done any homework on Scottish football whatsoever as unlike England the league cup isn't a joke competition as its realistically the only competition Hibs can win.

The coaching staff led by David Gray who is no stranger to disasterous results at Falkirk would have told him all this but you could see from his post match interview he thought this game mattered not a jot and was only a kickabout ahead of the season starting in a few weeks time.

Having bad luck as Hibs did tonight isn't the managers fault as that happens in football but looking down on the opposition and deliberately picking a weak team without a spine through the middle because you aren't to sure yet about players and formations was classic arrogance.

The league cup is a joke in England but you aren't in England and you should be treating the competition and the Hibs fans with more respect.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 06:48 AM
Are people being serious with the criticism already? We've played 2 competitive games FFS. This thread and the others are proper embarrassing.

We’ve just been beat by League One Falkirk and now stand a very real chance of not getting out of a group with Falkirk, Bonnyrigg Rose and Clyde.

You don’t think that deserves criticism?

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 06:55 AM
Still livid with the arrogance and disrespect Johnson shows towards Scottish football by completely underestimating the challenge a brand new Falkirk side would bring under McGlyn including two ex Hibs players.

His post match interview just confirmed that he hasn't done any homework on Scottish football whatsoever as unlike England the league cup isn't a joke competition as its realistically the only competition Hibs can win.

The coaching staff led by David Gray who is no stranger to disasterous results at Falkirk would have told him all this but you could see from his post match interview he thought this game mattered not a jot and was only a kickabout ahead of the season starting in a few weeks time.

Having bad luck as Hibs did tonight isn't the managers fault as that happens in football but looking down on the opposition and deliberately picking a weak team without a spine through the middle because you aren't to sure yet about players and formations was classic arrogance.

The league cup is a joke in England but you aren't in England and you should be treating the competition and the Hibs fans with more respect.

Nothing to do with respect ffs. Pre season to date not one of those players have put in a bad performance until last night so you can hardly blame the manager for picking anyone last night.

Heisenberg
13-07-2022, 06:59 AM
Nothing to do with respect ffs. Pre season to date not one of those players have put in a bad performance until last night so you can hardly blame the manager for picking anyone last night.

I think a combination at the back of Rocky and McLelland was always going to be a recipe for disaster. They were all over the place and didn’t look comfortable, I think he needs to take the blame for that. Same with picking the midfield trio that led us to 8th in the league last season, he surely must know they don’t work together?

He is only in the door a couple of months but he can’t escape criticism when we’ve just lost to Falkirk. It was a very poor team selection and hopefully he’s learned his lesson.

He also needs to get going in the transfer market as we still need better in key areas. Not just one or two more to supplement the squad. Actual quality starting players in central midfield, central defence and at left back.

Since452
13-07-2022, 07:03 AM
Melkersen should have started for me. Spent pretty much his entire career to date playing on astro. You could see the surface catching a few Hibs players cold.

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 07:07 AM
I think a combination at the back of Rocky and McLelland was always going to be a recipe for disaster. They were all over the place and didn’t look comfortable, I think he needs to take the blame for that. Same with picking the midfield trio that led us to 8th in the league last season, he surely must know they don’t work together?

He is only in the door a couple of months but he can’t escape criticism when we’ve just lost to Falkirk. It was a very poor team selection and hopefully he’s learned his lesson.

He also needs to get going in the transfer market as we still need better in key areas. Not just one or two more to supplement the squad. Actual quality starting players in central midfield, central defence and at left back.

I get that but my point is he’s probably felt he’s seen enough in these players since he came in to feel they would more than have enough for Falkirk. Throw in pre season where all have been getting plaudits, it would be remis if him if he took the approach ‘yous were crap for 2 managers that failed last season I’m not giving you a fair crack under me’. I don’t think they are good enough personally but he has to piss with the cock he has and until he can get better (defo trying to) se are where we are. Games like last night show up players for their true colours, they could have been great for LJ so far but as he said last night he’s learned a lot in some, can’t be a bad thing imo.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2022, 07:09 AM
Melkersen should have started for me. Spent pretty much his entire career to date playing on astro. You could see the surface catching a few Hibs players cold.

I said that during the first half last night, we'll never know what difference it would have made.

RIP
13-07-2022, 07:13 AM
Some folk are utter clueless so it’s not a surprise only need to read this forum tonight to illustrate that

Why do a small minority of posters on this messageboard insist on insulting others (he’s mental; he’s clueless) simply because we articulate a different opinion?

Wouldn’t it have been more courteous to state how dropping Melkerson from the starting lineup with Doidge was a positive change from the Clyde game?

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 07:17 AM
While it’s been pointed out by most that the 2nd half was a much better performance last night and I totally agree with that, none of it was due to improvement with Newell or Campbell. They were every bit as hopeless in the 2nd half as the first.

SMAXXA
13-07-2022, 07:18 AM
Why do a small minority of posters on this messageboard insist on insulting others (he’s mental; he’s clueless) simply because we articulate a different opinion?

Wouldn’t it have been more courteous to state how dropping Melkerson from the starting lineup with Doidge was a positive change from the Clyde game?

Personally don’t mean to be insulting to people but I stand by my comments that some people on here and social media are utter clueless and some of the comments I see are ridiculous. I agree tho wwjd to their own with their opinions but I think some views are miles away from reality or so unreasonable they warrant criticism.

hibsforeurope
13-07-2022, 07:20 AM
I know we’re not allowed to criticise anything the club does in here but last night was a shocker. It was obvious Falkirk away was the hardest game in the group but we play many of the same players who failed last season, this was asking for trouble.
With the teams in this group we should easily finished with 4 wins, the standard well below what we can expect in the league games.
It also highlights we still need more recruits in midfield and defence, as we can’t rely on players from last season to show up.
Still early days but this is definitely a mark against the new regime.

Nicho87
13-07-2022, 07:22 AM
Maybe this was one of the defeats LJ said that we will probably take along the way.

No impressed

Slow start
Midfield
Too many players still here from last season

The work permit boys won’t rescue that team as the midfield spine of the team is league 2 standard

RIP
13-07-2022, 07:24 AM

See my reply to SMAXXA

Rangers can expect goals from midfielders and defenders.
Celtic always field more than one goal threat. Comparisons with either are meaningless.

I felt that the team Johnston started the game with lacked sufficient goal threat and handed the initiative to Falkirk.

Feel free to say I’m mental if you please but I’d prefer if you stated your opinion instead justifying the dropping of Melkerson.

B.H.F.C
13-07-2022, 07:28 AM

You can certainly blame the manager for picking a team consisting of that midfield. He spoke before about being at a Livingston and Dundee at the tail end of last season, he should have known based on that alone how much we needed to upgrade the middle of the park. Then he has Gray on the coaching staff who watched it all of last season.

It’s fine folk talking about work permits still to come through even when they do, none of those players really help us address the most glaring issue in that team.

DIXIHIBS
13-07-2022, 07:41 AM

Get that so far to ****.

Sums it up for me. Yes poor result but maybe the manager needed to see just how bad we can be at times. Agree that the extreme reactions are starting to spoil watching hibs. For many it seems if we dont win every game...sack the manager!! There is no middle ground watching hibs anymore. We are either world beaters or rank rotten....nothing in between. Maybe its like this at other clubs these days as well but people need to calm down.

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 07:44 AM
Classic you.

Likewise.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 07:45 AM
Sums it up for me. Yes poor result but maybe the manager needed to see just how bad we can be at times. Agree that the extreme reactions are starting to spoil watching hibs. For many it seems if we dont win every game...sack the manager!! There is no middle ground watching hibs anymore. We are either world beaters or rank rotten....nothing in between. Maybe its like this at other clubs these days as well but people need to calm down.

I’ve not seen a single post suggesting he should be sacked..

DIXIHIBS
13-07-2022, 07:47 AM

Look harder.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 07:49 AM
Look harder.

Why don’t you point one out?

I’ve read near enough every thread since last night. Nobody has said he should be sacked unless I’ve missed it.

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 07:49 AM

Uber fans wanting a fight.

They're lining up waiting to have a dig at the rest of us if we step out of line and criticise things too much.

Every single person on the match day thread was in agreement last night. That rarely happens and shows that it wasn't bed wetting or over reacting.

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 07:54 AM

You actually believe this? If true he should be sacked!!

He said he did a whole load of research on us before taking the job. He just needed to watch any game from last season to see how bad we could be.

Mental.

He's here!
13-07-2022, 08:07 AM

Get that so far to ****.

The reason Hibs are playing these ridiculously early (IMHO) group games is because we were too woeful to even scrape a top six place last season. If we want to prove we're better than that rather than just an ongoing soft touch we surely need to be showing that on the pitch. Instead we got bossed for 45 minutes by a League 1 side and were lucky to go in at HT only 1-0 down. That can't pass without severe criticism.

Was the 'pressure' too much for the manager? Surely not, but I don't think he deserves much slack along the lines of 'he's just in the door'. Unlike recent managers he's had a full close season to hit the ground running.

DIXIHIBS
13-07-2022, 08:07 AM

He said he did a whole load of research on us before taking the job. He just needed to watch any game from last season to see how bad we could be.

Mental.

You dont think a manager should see for himself? Maybe he thought he could get more out of them? You saying he should be sacked for playing certain players in his 2nd game in charge...thats mental.

WestStandWillie
13-07-2022, 08:09 AM

Guaranteed tae use safety scissors with crap like that.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-07-2022, 08:10 AM
Why don’t you point one out?

I’ve read near enough every thread since last night. Nobody has said he should be sacked unless I’ve missed it.

I can't see any either, yet those rightly critical after an utterly abysmal performance are being hounded by some, who are simply making things up, very strange behaviour IMO.

Dmas
13-07-2022, 08:26 AM
The reason Hibs are playing these ridiculously early (IMHO) group games is because we were too woeful to even scrape a top six place last season. If we want to prove we're better than that rather than just an ongoing soft touch we surely need to be showing that on the pitch. Instead we got bossed for 45 minutes by a League 1 side and were lucky to go in at HT only 1-0 down. That can't pass without severe criticism.

Was the 'pressure' too much for the manager? Surely not, but I don't think he deserves much slack along the lines of 'he's just in the door'. Unlike recent managers he's had a full close season to hit the ground running.

A full close season and ridiculously early group games all in the same post?

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 08:26 AM
I can't see any either, yet those rightly critical after an utterly abysmal performance are being hounded by some, who are simply making things up, very strange behaviour IMO.

I think it’s safe to say nobody has said he should be sacked.

DIXIHIBS
13-07-2022, 08:29 AM

The point I was making was over reaction of some to what was clearly a very poor performancentre. Check out the match thread and there are comments the manager should gtf. Other reacted to it saying it was out if order. I'm not saying the manager/players don't deserve criticism but it's noise 2nd game ffs.

matty_f
13-07-2022, 08:39 AM
I know we’re not allowed to criticise anything the club does in here but last night was a shocker. It was obvious Falkirk away was the hardest game in the group but we play many of the same players who failed last season, this was asking for trouble.
With the teams in this group we should easily finished with 4 wins, the standard well below what we can expect in the league games.
It also highlights we still need more recruits in midfield and defence, as we can’t rely on players from last season to show up.

"We're not allowed to criticise anything the club does in here"

Have you read any of the threads? There's virtually nothing but criticism from that shambles last night! Who's not allowed to do it?

#2 Double Tap
13-07-2022, 08:41 AM
The point I was making was over reaction of some to what was clearly a very poor performancentre. Check out the match thread and there are comments the manager should gtf. Other reacted to it saying it was out if order. I'm not saying the manager/players don't deserve criticism but it's noise 2nd game ffs.

2nd game or not, it was against falkirk. drawing or losing to a team ranked so low, in any competitive fixture is unacceptable, we should be turning up and rolling those types of teams over without any thinking.

Not being able to do that highlights that either the players we have are not at the level we need or the tactical instructions/set up is wrong, or both.

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 08:43 AM
You dont think a manager should see for himself? Maybe he thought he could get more out of them? You saying he should be sacked for playing certain players in his 2nd game in charge...thats mental.

You suggested he deliberately put that side out to see how bad they are.

That's the mental bit, and going by LJs post match interview he didn't do that at all.

I don't think he should be sacked at all. I'm saying if he deliberately put that team out to see how bad they are then of course he should be sacked. He had a week in Portugal to figure it out.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 08:47 AM

That's the mental bit, and going by LJs post match interview he didn't do that at all.

I don't think he should be sacked at all. I'm saying if he deliberately put that team out to see how bad they are then of course he should be sacked. He had a week in Portugal to figure it out.

The idea that a manager should be deliberately putting out a team with the intention of them being as bad as possible so he can see what rock bottom looks like in a competitive game is laughable.

As you say, if he really had some urge to be as bad as possible then Portugal was the time to do that.

I don’t doubt for a second that wasn’t LJs intention though.

hibsforeurope
13-07-2022, 08:49 AM
"We're not allowed to criticise anything the club does in here"

Have you read any of the threads? There's virtually nothing but criticism from that shambles last night! Who's not allowed to do it?

There's many examples of posters jumping on other posts, if you don't agree with their view you're either a 'Dafty', a 'Yam', 'stupid', etc, etc.

Not just from last nights game, a defeat usually gets the same over reaction that a friendly win against Burton or Hartlepool does.

Lago
13-07-2022, 08:50 AM

Mental.
Very considered and detailed response to a poor display, you obviously disagree and have immediately gone for the nuclear option of sack the manager.

ahibby
13-07-2022, 08:58 AM

For me the problem started second half against Clyde, quite a boring, insipid performance that carried on into last night. The players need to get a grip.

Arch Stanton
13-07-2022, 08:58 AM

So the team he inherited are woeful? Is anyone disagreeing?

However, I really don't think he had the option of starting with a completely fresh set of players.

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 08:59 AM

However, I really don't think he had the option of starting with a completely fresh set of players.

He could have started with quite a different eleven last night though

Arch Stanton
13-07-2022, 09:02 AM
He could have started with quite a different eleven last night though

And not done any rotation? That would have been folly!

He's here!
13-07-2022, 09:03 AM
A full close season and ridiculously early group games all in the same post?

Yep, you make a fair point there:)

Nevertheless LJ was not brought in to try and salvage an unravelling season like the previous 3 managers. He's had a decent amount of time to get up to speed so it's alarming how quickliy we reverted to the woeful form of last season.

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 09:09 AM
And not done any rotation? That would have been folly!

The major rotation should have been this coming Sunday - he’s called it wrong - and it’s cost us

SlickShoes
13-07-2022, 09:10 AM
Yep, you make a fair point there:)

Nevertheless LJ was not brought in to try and salvage an unravelling season like the previous 3 managers. He's had a decent amount of time to get up to speed so it's alarming how quickliy we reverted to the woeful form of last season.

Reverted to the woeful form? One game isn't form. If he starts the next game with that midfield three then some of the comments made in this thread could be merited, but hopefully, he is smarter than that.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2022, 09:11 AM
The major rotation should have been this coming Sunday - he’s called it wrong - and it’s cost us

Very much this. 👏

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 09:12 AM
Very considered and detailed response to a poor display, you obviously disagree and have immediately gone for the nuclear option of sack the manager.

FFS i have been crystal clear that i do not think he should be sacked.

Iain G
13-07-2022, 09:14 AM
FFS i have been crystal clear that i do not think he should be sacked.

Fired then? Axed? Chopped? Dumped? Not pass his probation? 😁

WhileTheChief..

Why you quoting me?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone on this thread other than the poster who suggested LJ deliberately put that team out to see how bad it was.

WhileTheChief..
Fired then? Axed? Chopped? Dumped? Not pass his probation? 😁

Eh? :confused:

WhileTheChief..
13-07-2022, 09:15 AM
I think LJ should remain as Hibs manager.

I don't know how to be any clearer than that.

GreenGray
13-07-2022, 09:15 AM

“We’re not allowed to criticise the club on here” like that’s not all the majority of posters have been doing for the last three months [emoji23]

matty_f
13-07-2022, 09:21 AM
There's many examples of posters jumping on other posts, if you don't agree with their view you're either a 'Dafty', a 'Yam', 'stupid', etc, etc.

Not just from last nights game, a defeat usually gets the same over reaction that a friendly win against Burton or Hartlepool does.

But you're allowed to do it, just you think that you shouldn't be allowed to challenge someone?

Stuart93
13-07-2022, 09:26 AM
I’m really hoping LJ seen for himself last night that the midfield trio don’t work.

Mind you, he kept it the same for the 2nd half.

hibsforeurope
13-07-2022, 09:30 AM
But you're allowed to do it, just you think that you shouldn't be allowed to challenge someone?

I have been fairly critical of things recently, i have my reasons for this, but my issues are more than a very poor defeat by Falkirk. I don't always agree with people's opinions that things are all going well but i've never called anyone a 'Dafty' or called them 'Stupid, etc. That seems to be the tactic of some who only see things in a positive light.

DIXIHIBS
13-07-2022, 09:54 AM

I suggested he needed to see how bad they can be not hoping they were bad. Maybe they showed up well in training and he felt they should play in his system etc. Now he has seen them there is no excuses. To say I suggested he deliberately set out to get beat is ridiculous...but I think you knew that.😊

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 09:59 AM
See my reply to SMAXXA

Rangers can expect goals from midfielders and defenders.
Celtic always field more than one goal threat. Comparisons with either are meaningless.

I felt that the team Johnston started the game with lacked sufficient goal threat and handed the initiative to Falkirk.

Feel free to say I’m mental if you please but I’d prefer if you stated your opinion instead justifying the dropping of Melkerson.

No one was dropped. The squad was rotated.

The team that started was poor, but mainly in defence. Folk are going ape over midfield but the defence put us under far more pressure. 2 fullbacks and McClelland were rank. Goalie as well.

Front 3 looked okay on paper to me. They needed minutes

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 10:07 AM
No one was dropped. The squad was rotated.

The team that started was poor, but mainly in defence. Folk are going ape over midfield but the defence put us under far more pressure. 2 fullbacks and McClelland were rank. Goalie as well.

Front 3 looked okay on paper to me. They needed minutes

The defence were under pressure because when they looked up to play a pass there was nobody there for them. The middle of the park was empty. And that continued all game, not just the first half. It was appalling to watch. The midfield totally hung them out to dry.

Hibee Mac
13-07-2022, 10:12 AM
We’ve just been beat by League One Falkirk and now stand a very real chance of not getting out of a group with Falkirk, Bonnyrigg Rose and Clyde.

You don’t think that deserves criticism?There's criticism and then there's the reams and reams of over the top criticism based on a game of two halves which is only the 2nd competitive game under LJ.

The overall reaction on this forum from last night is way over the top.

Plus, to say we stand a very real chance of not getting out the group is an exaggeration. Top two teams go through and we're comfortably in second place.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 10:16 AM
There's criticism and then there's the reams and reams of over the top criticism based on a game of two halves which is only the 2nd competitive game under LJ.

The overall reaction on this forum from last night is way over the top.

Plus, to say we stand a very real chance of not getting out the group is an exaggeration. Top two teams go through and we're comfortably in second place.

The top team goes through. After that it’s only the three best 2nd place teams so more 2nd place teams are out than in.

As it stands just now there’s 5 second place teams with 100% records. If Ross County win on Saturday as expected then they will also have a better record than us.

As for it being a game of 2 halves, we were still pish in the second half, just not as pish as the first.

Northernhibee
13-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Made a mistake. Got his pants pulled down. Admitted it. Unlikely to make the same mistake again.

We move on.

hibsforeurope
13-07-2022, 12:18 PM
The top team goes through. After that it’s only the three best 2nd place teams so more 2nd place teams are out than in.

As it stands just now there’s 5 second place teams with 100% records. If Ross County win on Saturday as expected then they will also have a better record than us.

As for it being a game of 2 halves, we were still pish in the second half, just not as pish as the first.

as well as Only the top 3 group winners will be seeded for the next round.

Stuart93
13-07-2022, 12:21 PM
Made a mistake. Got his pants pulled down. Admitted it. Unlikely to make the same mistake again.

We move on.

I’m sick of watching managers pants getting pulled down recently

Admitted his mistake yet kept the same 3 in midfield on for the 2nd half? That’s worrying.

flash
13-07-2022, 12:44 PM
I’m sick of watching managers pants getting pulled down recently

Admitted his mistake yet kept the same 3 in midfield on for the 2nd half? That’s worrying.

He made 4 changes at half time and we were 100% better for it.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2022, 12:46 PM

The midfield didn’t get any better, we just bypassed them a bit more.

flash
13-07-2022, 12:48 PM

I disagree. The midfield wasn't great but definitely better.

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 12:49 PM

That didn’t happen ..we still Passed the ball through midfield

Stuart93
13-07-2022, 01:29 PM

Like another posters said, the midfield didn’t get any better for me.

You seen Rocky and Porteous carrying the ball a lot further into Falkirks half and completely bypassing our inadequate/useless midfield

Iain G
13-07-2022, 02:28 PM
I have been fairly critical of things recently, i have my reasons for this, but my issues are more than a very poor defeat by Falkirk. I don't always agree with people's opinions that things are all going well but i've never called anyone a 'Dafty' or called them 'Stupid, etc. That seems to be the tactic of some who only see things in a positive light.

You did make a whole series of daft and stupid statements blaming the club for work permit and visa issues out with their control

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2022, 04:19 PM
For me the problem started second half against Clyde, quite a boring, insipid performance that carried on into last night. The players need to get a grip.

That is the worry for me, we saw performances like last night so many times last season, and it's taken 2 games for it to return.

I've no idea who LJ speaks to at Hibs, or just how much he saw of us last season, but i think he now knows some of those players he selected last night are not up to the job, and will make being a success at Easter Road very difficult for him.

bigwheel
13-07-2022, 04:21 PM
That is the worry for me, we saw performances like last night so many times last season, and it's taken 2 games for it to return.

I've no idea who LJ speaks to at Hibs, or just how much he saw of us last season, but i think he now knows some of those players he selected last night are not up to the job, and will make being a success at Easter Road very difficult for him.

We’ve got to assume and trust that he learnt more about those players last night than he had so far ..let’s see why his selections are over the next few games

Since452
13-07-2022, 04:22 PM

We were 5-0 up at half time.

Stubbsy90+2
13-07-2022, 04:25 PM
We were 5-0 up at half time.

We were still crap second half though.

These games are competitive matches and are going to get us ready for the season ahead. Coasting through them isn’t going to do much for any of the players on the pitch.

GreenCastle
13-07-2022, 04:38 PM
We were still crap second half though.

These games are competitive matches and are going to get us ready for the season ahead. Coasting through them isn’t going to do much for any of the players on the pitch.

Exactly - 5-0 up or not - the drop in quality was obvious to see Saturday and no surprise it got worse last night.

It’s all about standards and culture.

WestCoastHibby
13-07-2022, 04:48 PM
I can’t say I was excited about the appointment but come on!! Give the guy a chance.
We can’t afford another payoff and this management team Simply has to work this time around

May21/05/16
13-07-2022, 04:53 PM
Absolute mental the guys been in charge for two games

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2022, 04:59 PM
Exactly - 5-0 up or not - the drop in quality was obvious to see Saturday and no surprise it got worse last night.

It’s all about standards and culture.

Do you really think we were going to keep up that tempo for 90 minutes in our 3rd fixture since returning to training? Job was well done on Saturday, we chilled a bit 2nd half and just knocked it about. Melkersen and Porteous missed 2nd half sitters to make it more. Absolutely nothing to complain about from Saturday. Really sad how desperate some are to find every possibly negative, even making them up.

Sergio sledge
13-07-2022, 05:50 PM

To be fair some of the players have had 3 years of being coached to play in a certain style, first Heckingbottom with his ponderous play, then Ross with his ponderous play with the addition of fast counter attacks through Boyle, then Maloney with his ponderous, possession based stuff. If Johnson is trying to coach that out of the players then it probably takes more than a few weeks training for it to become the default.

That doesn't make last night acceptable however.

Tambo
13-07-2022, 06:31 PM
The forward line and midfield lacked every and press so that was always going to put the defence under pressure.

A bad result for the club but we move on, Sunday will be a fight. Will the players be up for it?

e2los
14-07-2022, 08:05 PM
I can’t say I was excited about the appointment but come on!! Give the guy a chance.
We can’t afford another payoff and this management team Simply has to work this time around

Obviously hope Lee can do well, but after attending the Falkirk game I honestly can't see him lasting very long.

JimBHibees
14-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Obviously hope Lee can do well, but after attending the Falkirk game I honestly can't see him lasting very long.

Based on one game the world has gone mad

Baldy Foghorn
14-07-2022, 08:38 PM
Based on one game the world has gone mad

After the 1st 3 games I was delighted, Tuesday was a blip. Don't think that line up will start many, as players have to get permits, Kenneh and others will see more game time.

Still think we are in for an exciting season under LJ:flag:

matty_f
14-07-2022, 11:54 PM
After the 1st 3 games I was delighted, Tuesday was a blip. Don't think that line up will start many, as players have to get permits, Kenneh and others will see more game time.

Well said.

andrew70
15-07-2022, 12:00 AM

100% B I’ve seen enough to be positive.

It was a reminder of where we were last season but the difference is this season we have the option of change and we will do that.

Johnson will have us properly kicking on come July 30th.

marinello59
15-07-2022, 12:27 AM

I still have concerns about the role of others at the club but I think LJ will get the best out of what he has. I’m really looking forward to the new league campaign.

donno
15-07-2022, 06:59 AM
OK, LJ made the mistake of treating the LC group stages as friendlies, and it bit him on the ass.
There's still 6 weeks of the transfer window, and I'm sure there will be players on his mind to come in to strengthen the squad.
Don't forget, a player at the end of their contract is entitled to an extra month's wages if they don't get a new contract within the month after their contract ends. So, players whos contract ended on June 30th, won't make themselves available until August the 1st. I reckon we will see some decent signings then.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Stubbsy90+2
15-07-2022, 07:03 AM
OK, LJ made the mistake of treating the LC group stages as friendlies, and it bit him on the ass.
There's still 6 weeks of the transfer window, and I'm sure there will be players on his mind to come in to strengthen the squad.
Don't forget, a player at the end of their contract is entitled to an extra month's wages if they don't get a new contract within the month after their contract ends. So, players whos contract ended on June 30th, won't make themselves available until August the 1st. I reckon we will see some decent signings then.

Eh?

If a players contract ends at the end of June then they’re not getting paid for July.

Hibernian Verse
15-07-2022, 07:06 AM

Pretty certain that's not the case

marinello59
15-07-2022, 07:08 AM

Has he treated them as friendlies? I’m not so sure he has. He may have said we are still in pre-season mode or words to that effect and he he is right but that’s a different thing. He’s still getting to know the players and it takes a few games to do that properly.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2022, 07:13 AM
Has he treated them as friendlies? I’m not so sure he has. He may have said we are still in pre-season mode or words to that effect and he he is right but that’s a different thing. He’s still getting to know the players and it takes a few games to do that properly.

Yeah. The team that started Tuesday was significantly better than falkirks. We just played badly

flash
15-07-2022, 07:17 AM
Yeah. The team that started Tuesday was significantly better than falkirks. We just played badly

The goalkeeper and back four weren't and that's what caused much of the problem.
It's no coincidence the midfield improved considerably when the defence was sorted out at half time.

Hibbyradge
15-07-2022, 07:28 AM
The goalkeeper and back four weren't and that's what caused much of the problem.
It's no coincidence the midfield improved considerably when the defence was sorted out at half time.

I actually thought that it was Melkerson who made the difference.

His addition gave the midfield options. Prior to that, it was as if Doidge was on his own.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2022, 07:29 AM

I agree with that, they certainly played badly, but are still better than falkirks players.

donno
15-07-2022, 07:32 AM
Eh?

If a players contract ends at the end of June then they’re not getting paid for July.It's strange, but it's league rules down here in England.

Edited - It's called severance pay, and players are entitled to it if they do not sign a new contract withing the month after their contract ends. The power of Google!

flash
15-07-2022, 07:33 AM
I actually thought that it was Melkerson who made the difference.

His addition gave the midfield options. Prior to that, it was as if Doidge was on his own.

Aye was more than one factor for sure but improving the defence definitely helped.

flash
15-07-2022, 07:34 AM
I agree with that, they certainly played badly, but are still better than falkirks players.

We will never see that back four again so that's something at least.

Since452
15-07-2022, 07:42 AM

I agree. The problem was the players massivley underestimated Falkirk and they wired in to us from the start. Fair play to them. We came out 2nd half knowing we were in a game. Our attitute was completley different and it showed.

JimBHibees
15-07-2022, 07:50 AM

He hasnt treated them as friendlies made it clear we had to win these games

Phil MaGlass
15-07-2022, 10:00 AM
Im thinking the Falkirk game was the wake up call we needed, looking forward to the new season, fighting for third with the Dons.

marinello59
15-07-2022, 10:23 AM

e2los
15-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Well said.

Hope you guys are right.

Just watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur_ziH0r8Bk

Unseen work
15-07-2022, 07:23 PM
Interesting him saying that Cabraja was signed for his quality on the ball and not just being athletic.

I like that Johnson recognises we can’t have a full team of runners and how important it has to have guys who can get the more attacking minded players on the ball.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2022, 08:00 PM
I still have massive reservations about the club in general and am not as excited about the season as most others seem to be but hopefully we can win our next two games and qualify for the last 16.

Smartie
15-07-2022, 08:15 PM
Im thinking the Falkirk game was the wake up call we needed, looking forward to the new season, fighting for third with the Dons.

I agree.

There were certain things to do with that team selection that should simply never happen again unless we’re in the most desperate of situations.

I like Johnson even though he got it totally wrong on Tuesday. He also needs to be experimenting during these games, finding out what doesn’t work is as important as figuring out what does.

He’ll learn imo.

cameronw-hfc
15-07-2022, 09:11 PM

Wish folk would pack this drivel in. He did not at any point say they were friendlies, he's said we are still in pre-season, and whether you want to admit it or not, that's a fact.

He doesn't mean to be disrespectful, he's being honest. We've not started the league season yet, still only a couple of weeks into training and awaiting new signings. The players aren't fully match fit yet, and the only way to do that is by making sure they ALL play games.

This is literally pre-season, it just so happens that the Scottish league cup starts during Pre-season, meaning there might be a hiccup along the way.

This attitude about LJ treating them as friendlies or as some have said "English arrogance" is chronic and either folk just desperate to have a dig, or it's folk that don't understand how fitness works.

Stuart93
15-07-2022, 10:23 PM
LJ saying in an interview with the Sun that it’ll likely be 4 or 5 games into the season until we see the team hit its full potential.

We have a few bad results in the games leading up to that and he might already find himself under some pressure.

He also said this regarding Campbell “Josh Campbell hasn't missed a day, had a great off-season, is super-fit anyway, and he's ready to go.” Certainly sounds like big praise for him from LJ. Everyone will have their own opinion on him but that’s sounding to me like he’s definitely in the managers plans which is worrying.

JamesHFC
15-07-2022, 10:29 PM
LJ saying in an interview with the Sun that it’ll likely be 4 or 5 games into the season until we see the team hit its full potential.

We have a few bad results in the games leading up to that and he might already find himself under some pressure.

The Hearts result will determine some people’s opinion of him from the get go.

Stuart93
15-07-2022, 10:35 PM

If we’re struggling after the 4th or 5th game people will rightly be worried especially considering the large turnover in playing staff

On the flip side, if we’re hopefully doing well after the 4th or 5th game and LJ is convinced we haven’t peaked yet, people will be excited!

B.H.F.C
15-07-2022, 10:37 PM

Think it’ll depend on the circumstances. If we turn up unprepared with multiple players not ready to go, as is looking more and more possible, then there will be a hell of a lot of discontent if it goes badly.

There is a definite frustration in his interview despite what he’s been saying about being ’happy’ with the squad. That actually encourages me.

Stuart93
15-07-2022, 10:40 PM
Think it’ll depend on the circumstances. If we turn up unprepared with multiple players not ready to go, as is looking more and more possible, then there will be a hell of a lot of discontent if it goes badly.

There is a definite frustration in his interview despite what he’s been saying about being ’happy’ with the squad. That actually encourages me.

I think he’s pretty pissed off at some of the players for their first half performance on Tuesday as well. There’s been a few hints now towards players playing mediocre.

JamesHFC
15-07-2022, 10:44 PM
If we’re struggling after the 4th or 5th game people will rightly be worried especially considering the large turnover in playing staff

On the flip side, if we’re hopefully doing well after the 4th or 5th game and LJ is convinced we haven’t peaked yet, people will be excited!

We be fine. Plenty of good players added to the squad, I think we will enjoy a good result against St Johnstone first game of the season.

SMAXXA
15-07-2022, 10:59 PM

Never a truer post I’ve read on here for a while.

Stuart93
15-07-2022, 11:00 PM
We be fine. Plenty of good players added to the squad, I think we will enjoy a good result against St Johnstone first game of the season.

Aye fingers crossed!

SMAXXA
15-07-2022, 11:00 PM
I still have massive reservations about the club in general and am not as excited about the season as most others seem to be but hopefully we can win our next two games and qualify for the last 16.

What are your massive reservations? Surprised to read this tbh

ekhibee
15-07-2022, 11:08 PM
For me it's irrelevant if we have a better team than Falkirk, they beat us and it was a disgraceful result.

Not In The Know
15-07-2022, 11:10 PM

Tbh I really am perplexed about comments like this. Compare our new owners to our old and I don’t know what anyone can complain about. Farmer saved us that can never be forgotten. Petrie’s/Farmers regime was average at best. The bench mark for comparison is actually quite low.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2022, 11:12 PM
What are your massive reservations? Surprised to read this tbh

I personally don't think the squad is strong enough in key areas at the moment and I'm not convinced by the personnel who are making the key decisions at the club.

I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded but I'm not really sharing the enthusiasm that others appear to have regarding Hibs right now.

Smartie
15-07-2022, 11:52 PM

He also said this regarding Campbell “Josh Campbell hasn't missed a day, had a great off-season, is super-fit anyway, and he's ready to go.” Certainly sounds like big praise for him from LJ. Everyone will have their own opinion on him but that’s sounding to me like he’s definitely in the managers plans which is worrying.

I don’t have any issue with Josh Campbell being in his plans. He was part of some of our best stuff in the friendlies and against Clyde.

The problem is those 3 playing together. Any 1 of them might slot neatly into a very effective unit, possibly 2 of them if the 3rd one they were grouped with was right.

Of the 3 of them Newell’s the one who is on the thinnest ice. Been posted missing during far too many of our meekest performances.

Newell running onto a decent chance and sclaffing his kick has the potential to be this season’s “every man back for corners” in raising my blood pressure to the most dangerous levels.

Stubbsy90+2
16-07-2022, 06:59 AM
I don’t have any issue with Josh Campbell being in his plans. He was part of some of our best stuff in the friendlies and against Clyde.

The problem is those 3 playing together. Any 1 of them might slot neatly into a very effective unit, possibly 2 of them if the 3rd one they were grouped with was right.

Of the 3 of them Newell’s the one who is on the thinnest ice. Been posted missing during far too many of our meekest performances.

Newell running onto a decent chance and sclaffing his kick has the potential to be this season’s “every man back for corners” in raising my blood pressure to the most dangerous levels.

Not for me and I say that as someone who doesnt rate Newell that highly either.

Josh Campbell isn’t a top tier player quality wise imo. If he’s playing then we’ll struggle. I’d be concerned if he’s getting significant game time tbh and if he does then I think it makes Johnson, and therefore Hibs, a lot less likely to be a success.

Libby Hibby
16-07-2022, 07:10 AM
I tend to agree regarding Newell which is a shame as when he plays well, he can certainly drive the side forward, be strong in the tackle and retain possession well. It’s like he can be bothered to play at times.

JC is a player I think that needs a ‘job’ on the pitch. Like the LC semi v Rangers, to me he was specifically told to buzz around Davies for the game and it worked. He is also very good at pressing so I suppose very good off the ball. On the ball is where he fails, constantly losing possession by poor passing or caught in possession but again he has his uses.

JDH is for me the best out of the 3 but is dragged down due to the fact the 3 are poor playing together.

Individually and in different set ups they are fine if they play best they can. Playing the 3 together, well it’s clear for all to see it just doesn’t work.

Mutu
16-07-2022, 07:41 AM
I tend to agree regarding Newell which is a shame as when he plays well, he can certainly drive the side forward, be strong in the tackle and retain possession well. It’s like he can be bothered to play at times.

JC is a player I think that needs a ‘job’ on the pitch. Like the LC semi v Rangers, to me he was specifically told to buzz around Davies for the game and it worked. He is also very good at pressing so I suppose very good off the ball. On the ball is where he fails, constantly losing possession by poor passing or caught in possession but again he has his uses.

JDH is for me the best out of the 3 but is dragged down due to the fact the 3 are poor playing together.

Individually and in different set ups they are fine if they play best they can. Playing the 3 together, well it’s clear for all to see it just doesn’t work.

On JC, I think that is spot on. In a big game where our possession is lower he is a good option to have to man mark their playmaker or whatever. It just feels like he's less use when we are trying to break a team down, like Falkirk. It's not necessarily his fault... it's just that he is often the most advanced of our midfield three and I really don't think that is his game.

I like our recruitment this year, I think it's generally been quite positive but we have not sorted the central midfield problem. Maybe the answer is Kenneh starting and playing JDH and Newell to play further forward. Wait and see...

WhileTheChief..
16-07-2022, 08:24 AM
I personally don't think the squad is strong enough in key areas at the moment and I'm not convinced by the personnel who are making the key decisions at the club.

I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded but I'm not really sharing the enthusiasm that others appear to have regarding Hibs right now.

I think there's a huge chunk of the fan base feel similarly about the squad.

I don't know any Hibs fas in real life ( as in not on here) that are happy with the squad, the manager or Ben Kensall.

Nobody is spitting feathers or bumping their gums about anything though. Just kinda feel resigned to another season like last.

I quite like LJ but he doesn't inspire me or fill me with any confidence at all. I just don't see it working out.

(This isn't a moan, a gripe, me slating the club, LJ or anyone else. Just how i genuinely feel about my club just now. No agenda, not posting this so I can come back and say I told you do, and I'm not a yam.)

worcesterhibby
16-07-2022, 08:54 AM

I don't know any Hibs fas in real life ( as in not on here) that are happy with the squad, the manager or Ben Kensall.

Nobody is spitting feathers or bumping their gums about anything though. Just kinda feel resigned to another season like last.

I quite like LJ but he doesn't inspire me or fill me with any confidence at all. I just don't see it working out.

(This isn't a moan, a gripe, me slating the club, LJ or anyone else. Just how i genuinely feel about my club just now. No agenda, not posting this so I can come back and say I told you do, and I'm not a yam.)

i like LJ and at the moment I have confidence in him to get us playing attacking football, which will be a big plus. I’m undecided about Kensall, but still hopeful, we can’t expect t him to get everything right, but we seem to now be heading in the right direction. However squad wise I think we are still short of a couple of players. If we bring in an experienced and competent centre half and a creative and dynamic centre mid, I will start getting excited.

SlickShoes
16-07-2022, 09:06 AM

I don't know any Hibs fans in real life that are as negative as you, or other posters here/on twitter, doesn't mean it's exactly how it is, just means its how it is in your little bubble.

WhileTheChief..
16-07-2022, 10:17 AM
I don't know any Hibs fans in real life that are as negative as you, or other posters here/on twitter, doesn't mean it's exactly how it is, just means its how it is in your little bubble.

I'm not really negative though, you just think i am.

I'm firmly in the happy clapper camp but worried that things won't go as well as we all hope.

Stubbsy90+2
16-07-2022, 10:43 AM

I personally think that’s a bit unfair on LJ tbh.

I think he’s on a hiding to nothing if we don’t sign another centre midfielder that’s good enough to start. I suppose you could argue whether that’s his fault or not, it seems to be that it depends who you are as to whether it’s your fault - for example Jack Ross was let down by not getting a centre mid, Shaun Maloney was at fault for not getting a centre mid according to some.

If we get a decent centre mid and centre half in I could see us having a decent season. If we don’t though then I think there’s a limit as to how good we can be and I think that limit is around mid table. That’s really regardless of the manager though imo.

Lago
16-07-2022, 10:50 AM

A huge chunk? Not sure about that.

Since452
16-07-2022, 11:02 AM
I'm not really negative though, you just think i am.

I'm firmly in the happy clapper camp but worried that things won't go as well as we all hope.

That would be a worry no matter who was our manager. Who was our last manager who wasn't sacked? Mowbray? It rarely does work out.

Stubbsy90+2
16-07-2022, 11:04 AM
That would be a worry matter who was our manager. Who was our last manager who wasn't sacked? Mowbray? It rarely does work out.

Stubbs?

Since452
16-07-2022, 11:04 AM
Stubbs?

Oh aye how could I forget him!

WhileTheChief..
16-07-2022, 11:07 AM
That would be a worry no matter who was our manager. Who was our last manager who wasn't sacked? Mowbray? It rarely does work out.

Lennon? :wink:

Keith_M
16-07-2022, 11:53 AM
Can we at least give the guy until Christmas before calling for his head?

tonyrougier123
16-07-2022, 12:07 PM

Good to see some support on here for Josh Campbell.
A hibby trying really hard in what can’t be classed as a great midfield.

I’m staunch in my Belief there’s a really good player in Josh Campbell.

Jdawg
16-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Good to see some support on here for Josh Campbell.
A hibby trying really hard in what can’t be classed as a great midfield.

I’m staunch in my Belief there’s a really good player in Josh Campbell.

He’s definitely not a really good player. I would go as far as to say no other team in the top flight who would want him.

Would rather see him go on loan for a year in the championship.

Silky
16-07-2022, 12:13 PM

:agree: At least until Christmas. But, you and I both know, he'll get until the Derby. If he loses that, that will be the point of no return for many.

Big_Franck
16-07-2022, 12:26 PM

I have to say this poster's feelings echo mine and the Hibs fans I know. The squad needed serious investment in the summer with players ready to come in and help us challenge for 3rd/4th and the cups. We've signed too many punts/projects for me and the signing of a young lad who had never played a single professional game to sort our disaster of a midfield does not fill me with any confidence at all.

The club are undoubtedly under pressure to start the season reasonably well, this 3/5 year project talk won't wash anymore.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2022, 12:33 PM
I have to say this poster's feelings echo mine and the Hibs fans I know. The squad needed serious investment in the summer with players ready to come in and help us challenge for 3rd/4th and the cups. We've signed too many punts/projects for me and the signing of a young lad who had never played a single professional game to sort our disaster of a midfield does not fill me with any confidence at all.

The club are undoubtedly under pressure to start the season reasonably well, this 3/5 year project talk won't wash anymore.

And there we have the problem in one. Of course we need experience now, they may well still come in before the window closes?

We still have 7 or 8 injured and not available players that WILL become available shortly, and the team will look completely different to midweek.

Yet the new owner has it seems looked to go down a different route to the one we've previously had for all of my lifetime, and is putting in an acctual plan we can all see, not the famous Petrie 5 year plan where nobody knew the details.

It might all fail, and the plan could be sheite, but FFS it's 5 minutes into it, and we are spending good money, we will get others in too, but i know once again we need to be patient, but at least this time we can see what the plan actually is.

Big_Franck
16-07-2022, 12:48 PM
And there we have the problem in one. Of course we need experience now, they may well still come in before the window closes?

We still have 7 or 8 injured and not available players that WILL become available shortly, and the team will look completely different to midweek.

Yet the new owner has it seems looked to go down a different route to the one we've previously had for all of my lifetime, and is putting in an acctual plan we can all see, not the famous Petrie 5 year plan where nobody knew the details.

It might all fail, and the plan could be sheite, but FFS it's 5 minutes into it, and we are spending good money, we will get others in too, but i know once again we need to be patient, but at least this time we can see what the plan actually is.

Good luck asking football fans to be patient after finishing 8th and taking in approx £6m in fees. Another season like that, together with more derby loses and Johnson will be gone. The club need to sign a centre half and a centre mid of quality asap.

Borderhibbie76
16-07-2022, 12:54 PM

U don't speak for me nor the majority if Hibs fans I know, most seem happy with LJ and willing to give him a chance. U seem overly negative tbh and its far too early to judge us when most of our new signings haven't even played yet

Callum_62
16-07-2022, 12:55 PM
There is definately a unreasonable demand for instant results

What ever happened to building a team?

Some folk were saying last season was a disaster

And yet in the same breath are demanding the whole squad is fixed within 6 weeks of the first transfer window opening

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
16-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Can’t say I’ve seen many calling for his head, in fairness.

Onceinawhile
16-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Really looks to be trying to manage expectations "10 or 12 games" until we see his real team.

Frustrated with the home office etc..

Not a hugely optimistic outlook imo

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2022, 01:15 PM
Good luck asking football fans to be patient after finishing 8th and taking in approx £6m in fees. Another season like that, together with more derby loses and Johnson will be gone. The club need to sign a centre half and a centre mid of quality asap.

I agree, we've been asked to be patient for years, although the club are putting together an actual plan that will need patience, not some mysterious one we were asked to follow years ago under Petrie.

Smartie
16-07-2022, 01:17 PM

And yet in the same breath are demanding the whole squad is fixed within 6 weeks of the first transfer window opening

It’s a balancing act.

You always have to be building a team and thinking a few years ahead.

I didn’t buy a season ticket for 3 years time, I bought it for this season. I’m happy to watch an imperfect work in progress if it genuinely feels like it’s going somewhere but there always needs to be a balance between building for the future and getting the best team possible on the park right now.

The best thing we could do for the sake of the team in 5 years time would be to get a strong team out now, giving us the funds generated by selling season tickets, progressing in cup competitions and getting into Europe. That money buys the best players and pays for the best possible coaches to improve those players.

Patience plays a part too though, no doubt.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2022, 01:26 PM
It’s a balancing act.

You always have to be building a team and thinking a few years ahead.

I didn’t buy a season ticket for 3 years time, I bought it for this season. I’m happy to watch an imperfect work in progress if it genuinely feels like it’s going somewhere but there always needs to be a balance between building for the future and getting the best team possible on the park right now.

The best thing we could do for the sake of the team in 5 years time would be to get a strong team out now, giving us the funds generated by selling season tickets, progressing in cup competitions and getting into Europe. That money buys the best players and pays for the best possible coaches to improve those players.

Patience plays a part too though, no doubt.

I agree, but it's as clear as the nose on your face that the club are not thinking this way.

tonyrougier123
16-07-2022, 01:31 PM

Tbf we’ve got a few squad issues that go back quite a bit further than six weeks.
That guy that manages them keeps changing though.
I’ve been waiting for a decent CB to come in for a long time now.

In terms of money in you’d think we’d have done that.

Stadium✅

Training facilities ✅

Season ticket sales✅

All these things now going well so bringing in real good quality players should be the main focus for us,as well as continuing to add to our brand through marketing.
We should be on the crest of a wave,instead we keep cycling through managers for different reasons,but the main one for me personally is because we keep failing to sufficiently add players to key problematic positions in the team.

There’s centre half’s available and midfield anchors who could fill these positions.instead we are throwing some youngsters into the mix hoping they can backstroke before they can paddle.

That’s my take on anyway.

A lot to be positive about with Johnson,it already feels much better than the previous set up,and as a Jack Ross guy I’d even say feels better than that.

But we have to start filling what we really need no hoping we can fill it and go with what we have.

I’d have thought a centre back would be highest of priorities,including rocky deal I’d still have expected experienced attention to that position.

Gordy M
16-07-2022, 01:38 PM
Tbf we’ve got a few squad issues that go back quite a bit further than six weeks.
That guy that manages them keeps changing though.
I’ve been waiting for a decent CB to come in for a long time now.

In terms of money in you’d think we’d have done that.

Stadium✅

Training facilities ✅

Season ticket sales✅

All these things now going well so bringing in real good quality players should be the main focus for us,as well as continuing to add to our brand through marketing.
We should be on the crest of a wave,instead we keep cycling through managers for different reasons,but the main one for me personally is because we keep failing to sufficiently add players to key problematic positions in the team.

There’s centre half’s available and midfield anchors who could fill these positions.instead we are throwing some youngsters into the mix hoping they can backstroke before they can paddle.

That’s my take on anyway.

A lot to be positive about with Johnson,it already feels much better than the previous set up,and as a Jack Ross guy I’d even say feels better than that.

But we have to start filling what we really need no hoping we can fill it and go with what we have.

I’d have thought a centre back would be highest of priorities,including rocky deal I’d still have expected experienced attention to that position.

Do you not think Hanlon and Porto will be our pairing this year? I think they will, with Rocky and McLelland back up but prob not getting much game time. I can only see us signing another CH if Porto leaves.

I think Kennah will anchor the midfield.

HendoDelivered
16-07-2022, 01:38 PM
Really looks to be trying to manage expectations "10 or 12 games" until we see his real team.

Frustrated with the home office etc..

Not a hugely optimistic outlook imo

😴😴😴

tonyrougier123
16-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Do you not think Hanlon and Porto will be our pairing this year? I think they will, with Rocky and McLelland back up but prob not getting much game time. I can only see us signing another CH if Porto leaves.

I think Kennah will anchor the midfield.

I’m hoping kenneh can be that tbh but if not him who do we have?

I like the thought of Hanlon and porteous being what we need,but it’s still a concern if that actually works or not consistently.

Gordy M
16-07-2022, 02:00 PM
I’m hoping kenneh can be that tbh but if not him who do we have?

I like the thought of Hanlon and porteous being what we need,but it’s still a concern if that actually works or not consistently.

Yeh obv if any of those get injured, esp Kennah then you would have to play one of the much maligned JDH, Newall or JC in there but unfortuntately thats the way it goes. If we sign another established Ch or anchor MF you are basically saying to Kennah, Porto or PH you arent playing 1st choice this season. Im not sure we will do that, rightly or wrongly.

LewysGot2
16-07-2022, 02:39 PM

This is a bit of a leap...but you're Slov Sam, where do I collect my Scottish pound notes 😄

Onceinawhile
16-07-2022, 03:11 PM
😴😴😴

Cracking response.

green day
16-07-2022, 03:24 PM
I don't know what Hibs were thinking appointing a manager like Lee Johnson, when there are so many top candidates available right here on this thread..........

jacomo
16-07-2022, 03:29 PM
Yeh obv if any of those get injured, esp Kennah then you would have to play one of the much maligned JDH, Newall or JC in there but unfortuntately thats the way it goes. If we sign another established Ch or anchor MF you are basically saying to Kennah, Porto or PH you arent playing 1st choice this season. Im not sure we will do that, rightly or wrongly.

Kenneh has zero first team seasons under his belt.

Regardless of his quality it is a big ask to rely on him week after week.