PDA

View Full Version : BBC Chumps League Deal

007 Mickey Weir
11-07-2022, 08:38 AM
I see the BBC have Agreed a three-year deal announced by UEFA last week and will cost the BBC about £20million!

How much do they spend on Scottish football?

This seems crazy. Why invest in such a small number of clubs. Not so British Broadcasting Company

Steven79
11-07-2022, 09:03 AM
I see the BBC have Agreed a three-year deal announced by UEFA last week and will cost the BBC about £20million!

This seems crazy. Why invest in such a small number of clubs. Not so British Broadcasting CompanyThey only care about English football.

Probably pay the presenters more in England for match of the day than they do for the rights for Scottish football.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Renfrew_Hibby
11-07-2022, 09:08 AM
I would imagine that their budget for English women's football is substantially bigger than what they put into the Scottish game.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 09:13 AM

This seems crazy. Why invest in such a small number of clubs. Not so British Broadcasting Company

The BBC already have the Scottish Football highlights.

Mcbizz1998
11-07-2022, 09:17 AM
Aren’t Scottish clubs in the champions league?

Paul1642
11-07-2022, 09:21 AM
Supply and demand. If the BBC don’t pay 20 million then someone else will pay a figure not far short of that.

The same demand isn’t there for Scottish football and they aren’t going to offer more than they need to.

Northernhibee
11-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Liverpool vs Bayern Munich is a more sellable asset than Ross County vs St Mirren, shocker.

hibbyfraelibby
11-07-2022, 09:36 AM
Supply and demand. If the BBC don’t pay 20 million then someone else will pay a figure not far short of that.

The same demand isn’t there for Scottish football and they aren’t going to offer more than they need to.

If the Barnet formula were applied as it is for all other government departments, and the BBC is the state broadcaster remember, we would get our fair share of their sports broadcast budget but heehaw chance of that happening when the spend more on one day of Wimbers than they do o the whole of Scottish sport.

The Baldmans Comb
11-07-2022, 09:39 AM
The BBC have contempt for Scotland so do the one thing that hurts them the most and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.😂.

Springbank
11-07-2022, 09:40 AM
It would not surprise me in the least if the BBC based their studio coverage at Pacific Quay (the same way they base their Question Time team notionally at Pacific Quay) so they can pump out this programme, that gives no real benefit to Scottish Football, but they can charge all the programme's costs against BBC Scotland (just like they do on Question Time) and the end credits says "produced by BBC Scotland".

It's their way of (ab)using Scottish license-payers money, such that the Beeb can say "more than 10% of our programmes are from BBC Scotland" but then it turns out those have little or no Scottish content - QUestion Time & House of Games being two good cases in point. Programmes with an audience and with arguable merits, but absolutely no Scottish content - we're just utilised as a host, not playing any cultural contributing factor to these programmes.

Absolute Last Days of Rome stuff - taking the michael out of you, me and all of us for as long as they can, until the whole edifice crashes down.

Just_Jimmy
11-07-2022, 10:29 AM
If the Barnet formula were applied as it is for all other government departments, and the BBC is the state broadcaster remember, we would get our fair share of their sports broadcast budget but heehaw chance of that happening when the spend more on one day of Wimbers than they do o the whole of Scottish sport.It's probably true that more people watch one day of Wimbledon than what they show as Scottish sport.

I can't remember when I last watched a Scottish sport on BBC. What do they even have?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
11-07-2022, 10:35 AM
More folk watch it, simple as.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 10:40 AM
If the Barnet formula were applied as it is for all other government departments, and the BBC is the state broadcaster remember, we would get our fair share of their sports broadcast budget but heehaw chance of that happening when the spend more on one day of Wimbers than they do o the whole of Scottish sport.

What's a fair share? There are 67 million people in the UK. Scotland's population makes up 7% of that.

Steven79
11-07-2022, 10:41 AM
It would not surprise me in the least if the BBC based their studio coverage at Pacific Quay (the same way they base their Question Time team notionally at Pacific Quay) so they can pump out this programme, that gives no real benefit to Scottish Football, but they can charge all the programme's costs against BBC Scotland (just like they do on Question Time) and the end credits says "produced by BBC Scotland".

It's their way of (ab)using Scottish license-payers money, such that the Beeb can say "more than 10% of our programmes are from BBC Scotland" but then it turns out those have little or no Scottish content - QUestion Time & House of Games being two good cases in point. Programmes with an audience and with arguable merits, but absolutely no Scottish content - we're just utilised as a host, not playing any cultural contributing factor to these programmes.

Absolute Last Days of Rome stuff - taking the michael out of you, me and all of us for as long as they can, until the whole edifice crashes down.

Summed it up perfectly mate.

That day is coming very soon and it can't come quick enough...

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 10:44 AM
What's a fair share? There are 67 million people in the UK. Scotland's population makes up 13% of that.

Do we have a population of over 8.5m?

donno
11-07-2022, 10:45 AM
They only care about English football.

Probably pay the presenters more in England for match of the day than they do for the rights for Scottish football.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkYou are correct. Linaker gets more from the BBC than they pay for the SPFL highlights.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know what the phrase "chip on the shoulder" means?

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 10:48 AM
You are correct. Linaker gets more from the BBC than they pay for the SPFL highlights.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Many times more people watch Match of the Day than the whole of Scottish football never mind just the highlights.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 10:54 AM
Do we have a population of over 8.5m?

Sorry **** maths. It's nearer 7%

MartinfaePorty
11-07-2022, 11:04 AM
Many times more people watch Match of the Day than the whole of Scottish football never mind just the highlights.

If they actual talked up our national game, made a more professional highlights programme (perhaps even showed clips from all the other leagues, similar to the 'EFL on Quest' show) and then promoted it properly, it might become more popular, although obviously not to the extent of MoTD.

Mark05
11-07-2022, 11:12 AM
What annoys me is the bbc dont invest in Scottish football. We all know that England has bigger games and more people watch it.But is it too much too ask for more professional programmes,It's our national sport and we should be treated with more respect.I watch all the big games around Europe but I still want to watch Scottish football

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 11:14 AM
If they actual talked up our national game, made a more professional highlights programme (perhaps even showed clips from all the other leagues, similar to the 'EFL on Quest' show) and then promoted it properly, it might become more popular, although obviously not to the extent of MoTD.

There's only so much they could do by "talking up" our game when half the teams in the top league struggle to average 5000 even with 3 or 4 Rantic visits.

Folk aren't blind or stupid.

jgl07
It’s a function of Scottish Football being dominated by two teams due to the timidity of the others accepting it and giving them the bulk of TV cash generated.

They all allowed Rangers and Celtic to block any changes. Even after Rangers went bust, there were no changes made in the voting mechanism or the cash allocations.

The result is an uncompetitive League with little or no interest from the press, the media or the general public beyond two teams.

On match days at Waverley, see how many travel South to watch football.

Mark05
Sorry Martin never saw your post,but I agree with you 👍

BS44
11-07-2022, 11:15 AM

Have Rupert and Netflix got a big interest in Scottish cultural programming?

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 11:17 AM
What annoys me is the bbc dont invest in Scottish football. We all know that England has bigger games and more people watch it.But is it too much too ask for more professional programmes,It's our national sport and we should be treated with more respect.I watch all the big games around Europe but I still want to watch Scottish football

Are there no games or highlights on the BBC anymore?

davhibby
11-07-2022, 11:23 AM
It’s a function of Scottish Football being dominated by two teams due to the timidity of the others accepting it and giving them the bulk of TV cash generated.

They all allowed Rangers and Celtic to block any changes. Even after Rangers went bust, there were no changes made in the voting mechanism or the cash allocations.

The result is an uncompetitive League with little or no interest from the press, the media or the general public beyond two teams.

On match days at Waverley, see how many travel South to watch football.

That’s just rubbish though. Our league is the best supported in Europe and would still be very high on the list if you took Celtic and Rangers away but most countries would have a similar drop if you took away the two best supported teams.

This is really the main problem we have, people who actually claim to support Scottish teams talking the league down and peddling absolute drivel that comes from the English. How are the media supposed to talk up our game when people that go to watch it constantly do the opposite.

CockneyRebel
11-07-2022, 11:27 AM
More folk watch it, simple as.

That's the answer so why does the same question get asked over and over? Folk might not be happy about it but the answer won't change.

Benny Brazil
11-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Is the BBC deal just for highlights of Champ League games or for showing live matches - £20m seems cheqp if it is live games

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2022, 11:49 AM

Are Scottish clubs banned from Europe?

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 11:49 AM
That’s just rubbish though. Our league is the best supported in Europe and would still be very high on the list if you took Celtic and Rangers away but most countries would have a similar drop if you took away the two best supported teams.

This is really the main problem we have, people who actually claim to support Scottish teams talking the league down and peddling absolute drivel that comes from the English. How are the media supposed to talk up our game when people that go to watch it constantly do the opposite.

Our league is the best supported per capita which is light years away from being the best supported. The last figures i saw were back in 2020 and Scotland averaged 96,000 people attending games each week.

The fact that way more than half are at one stadium tells you all you need to know about why Scottish TV rights are such a difficult sell.

itslegaltender
11-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Being tethered to the UK means the three smaller Countries get a far worse tv rights deal than other nations. Add to the ridiculously low price broadcasters pay for rights to show games, we also see so called national public owned State broadcasters like BBC and Channel 4 pump money into the English game for National games and womans football down South.

Would be interested to see how much Danish league gets paid as a good like for like example.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 01:06 PM
Being tethered to the UK means the three smaller Countries get a far worse tv rights deal than other nations. Add to the ridiculously low price broadcasters pay for rights to show games, we also see so called national public owned State broadcasters like BBC and Channel 4 pump money into the English game for National games and womans football down South.

Would be interested to see how much Danish league gets paid as a good like for like example.

Assuming the BBC wouldn't exist if Scotland was independent, how much would Scotland get from the EBC?

Torto7
11-07-2022, 01:09 PM
I would imagine that their budget for English women's football is substantially bigger than what they put into the Scottish game.

I'd like to know if this is true and the justification for it if it is.

I see the usual 'too wee' brigade are missing the point here.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 01:11 PM
I'd like to know if this is true and the justification for it if it is.

I see the usual 'too wee' brigade are missing the point here.

What is the point?

If more people want to watch X rather than Y, it's right that the national broadcaster priorities X.

Torto7
11-07-2022, 01:13 PM
Our league is the best supported per capita which is light years away from being the best supported. The last figures i saw were back in 2020 and Scotland averaged 96,000 people attending games each week.

The fact that way more than half are at one stadium tells you all you need to know about why Scottish TV rights are such a difficult sell.

Agreed. I notice English woman's football gets nice plum BBC 1 and two slots despite having less than impressive viewing figures along with endless marketing campaigns to promote it.

Torto7
11-07-2022, 01:15 PM
What is the point?

If more people want to watch X rather than Y, it's right that the national broadcaster priorities X.

That doesn't hold up when English woman's football enters the equation as the viewing figures range from mediocre to awful. It seems to only be a matter of viewership when Scotland is brought up. I.e they couldn't care less.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Agreed. I notice English woman's football gets nice plum BBC 1 and two slots despite having less than impressive viewing figures along with endless marketing campaigns to promote it.

I'd be interested to see those viewing figures. Is there a link?

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 01:17 PM
That doesn't hold up when English woman's football enters the equation as the viewing figures range from mediocre to awful. It seems to only be a matter of viewership when Scotland is brought up. I.e they couldn't care less.

Do more people want to watch Scottish football than English women's games?

cabbageandribs1875
11-07-2022, 01:19 PM
i'd be happy if BBC Alba actually used a HD camera for all games in Scotland, male and female, the camera quality is shocking

maybe they could crowdfund for HD cameras

The_Exile
11-07-2022, 01:24 PM
I take it this is for highlights only? I think we get around 15% of that.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 01:37 PM

It gets plum BBC slots for the Euros and World Cup only. The BBC show the World Cup and the Euros for both male or female, irrespective of the viewing figures.

The 'English' league games don't get plum slots on BBC. They're mainly on the red button and maybe a few Sunday afternoon slots. Ye'd never see Arsenal v Chelsea in the league on BBC on a Wednesday evening for example. I'm pretty sure most of them are on the iPlayer.

The WSL deal with Sky & the BBC is 'up to' £24m spread over 3 years. I'd imagine pretty all of that is paid by Sky.

The SPFL deal with Sky is £125m over 5 years.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Do more people want to watch Scottish football than English women's games?

I don't know the stats for the few WSL games that get shown live on the BBC.

The Womens World Cup Semi in 2019 got 11.7million viewers

itslegaltender
11-07-2022, 01:58 PM
I don't know the stats for the few WSL games that get shown live on the BBC.

The Womens World Cup Semi in 2019 got 11.7million viewers

Where the parity issue comes in is that pound for pound, the BBC is funding more into English men and womans football than it is in Scotland. In terms of licence fee we pay all the same, how is that right? As for Channel 4, its a UK State owned entity yet it is now piling cash into the English FA only. Again, clearly that is wrong when there is competing entities alongside England in the UK.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 02:13 PM
Where the parity issue comes in is that pound for pound, the BBC is funding more into English men and womans football than it is in Scotland. In terms of licence fee we pay all the same, how is that right? As for Channel 4, its a UK State owned entity yet it is now piling cash into the English FA only. Again, clearly that is wrong when there is competing entities alongside England in the UK.

That's to be expected though. Scotland is 7% of the UK population you surely can't be suggesting that we should be getting a quarter of the UK budget?

As for Channel 4, maybe state owned but unlike the BBC is a commercial business that has to make a profit. They have bought a product to make money.

archie
11-07-2022, 02:40 PM
I'm stuggling to follow the argument here. The BBC is a public corporation that bids for TV rights. The SFA and SPFL are made up of private companies. Is the suggestion that the BBC should pay more than the going rate for a private product? Surely the clubs should be making that product more attractive and driving up the price?

itslegaltender
11-07-2022, 02:46 PM
That's to be expected though. Scotland is 7% of the UK population you surely can't be suggesting that we should be getting a quarter of the UK budget?

As for Channel 4, maybe state owned but unlike the BBC is a commercial business that has to make a profit. They have bought a product to make money.

Nevermind 7%, I would take 5% of the 211 million paid out (by BBC on its own) for EPL Tv rights. Thats before you look at how much they are paying the likes of Linekar and how much they are paying for radio.

In addition, even if the BBC are paying only a quarter of the 24 million for English Womans football, 5% of $6 million would be 300k for Scottish womens football.

We are subsidising the funding into English football advancement to the detriment of our own.

Steven79
11-07-2022, 02:47 PM
I'm stuggling to follow the argument here. The BBC is a public corporation that bids for TV rights. The SFA and SPFL are made up of private companies. Is the suggestion that the BBC should pay more than the going rate for a private product? Surely the clubs should be making that product more attractive and driving up the price?

Is the money that comes from the BBC in proportian to the amount they dish out to English football (Even the woman's game in England)

I bet you anything the state broadcasters around Europe pay more for rights than the token about they pay in Scotland but their broadcasters aren't based in another country I guess...

Steven79
11-07-2022, 02:49 PM
Nevermind 7%, I would take 5% of the 211 million paid out (by BBC on its own) for EPL Tv rights. Thats before you look at how much they are paying the likes of Linekar and how much they are paying for radio.

In addition, even if the BBC are paying only a quarter of the 24 million for English Womans football, 5% of $6 million would be 300k for Scottish womens football.

We are subsidising the funding into English football advancement to the detriment of our own.

Just like the bigger picture where Scotland pays it's share for "UK infrastructure" like HS2 despite it coming nowhere near Scotland.

We are a nation of mugs that just accept it...

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 02:54 PM

You have to factor in the number of people who want to watch the spfl compared to the EPL and the competition that the BBC has for the viewing rights.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 02:56 PM
Is the money that comes from the BBC in proportian to the amount they dish out to English football (Even the woman's game in England)

I bet you anything the state broadcasters around Europe pay more for rights than the token about they pay in Scotland but their broadcasters aren't based in another country I guess...

You should research that. Scotland's TV deal is definitely one of the lowest in Europe, but I don't know what proportion of others leagues' deals are provided by the state broadcaster.

However, why do you think the SPFL can't command higher amounts?

archie
11-07-2022, 03:26 PM

I bet you anything the state broadcasters around Europe pay more for rights than the token about they pay in Scotland but their broadcasters aren't based in another country I guess... But if a public broadcaster, in an independent Scotland or otherwise, knowingly paid more than the market value for rights, then the police would be involved.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 03:46 PM

I really don’t see how ‘we’ are subsidising anything. I’m sure I read somewhere that Scotland has less than 1.3m licence fee payers. Can’t find a link but happy to be proved wrong on this. There’s about 28m in the whole of the UK.

Both Scotland and England gets a highlights programme for it’s leagues. Scotland also gets live lower league football.

As for women’s football I’d be stunned if the BBC is paying even 5% of the total cost.

The BBC’s job is to provide value for the licence fee payer, not to invest in UK sport.

The price of the rights for all is determined by market forces. The fees the BBC paid for SPFL and PL were market value.

Though I would agree and question why the BBC felt that amount couldn’t have been better spent on other content.

jgl07
11-07-2022, 04:06 PM
You should research that. Scotland's TV deal is definitely one of the lowest in Europe, but I don't know what proportion of others leagues' deals are provided by the state broadcaster.

The answer is a fairly obvious one.

The way that the matches are selected doesn’t help much. They only seem to show Celtic and Sevco away matches apart from a few tokens such as Edinburgh derbies. I am struggling to think of the last time I watched a live SPFL match on TV bar Tynecastle derbies.

Not only is the basic product rubbish but so is the presentation.

Lancs Harp
11-07-2022, 04:11 PM
The answer is a fairly obvious one.

The way that the matches are selected doesn’t help much. They only seem to show Celtic and Sevco away matches apart from a few tokens such as Edinburgh derbies. I am struggling to think of the last time I watched a live SPFL match on TV bar Tynecastle derbies.

Not only is the basic product rubbish but so is the presentation.

But does Joe Average in Scotland want to watch Livi v St Johnstone? Answer sadly no.

hibbyfraelibby
11-07-2022, 04:16 PM
What's a fair share? There are 67 million people in the UK. Scotland's population makes up 7% of that.

8.5% of UK population.Then factor in Wales and NI getting their fair share too.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 04:24 PM

Your arithmetic is wrong.

However, less than 1% of the population want to watch Scottish football on TV other than Rantic.

JimBHibees
11-07-2022, 04:27 PM
But does Joe Average in Scotland want to watch Livi v St Johnstone? Answer sadly no.

Personally would watch it

Lancs Harp
11-07-2022, 04:30 PM

So would I Jim. But i think the viewing figures would take a hit and at the end of the day thats the driving force for broadcasters.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 05:04 PM

They are getting their share. BBC NI have rights for live games and highlights and for their league and have the live rights for the Womens league and international football. Wales had highlights of their international football up until this year and the Welsh teams get their FA Cup games live on the BBC.

itslegaltender
11-07-2022, 05:10 PM
All very well saying its because of supply and demand etc. What those arguing against the idea we are being shortchanged in comparison to what is being paid and subsequently invested in the English game is that all the years that this has happened has helped to raise the standard of that football to make it the attractive proposition it is now.

James Stephen
11-07-2022, 05:17 PM
There's only so much they could do by "talking up" our game when half the teams in the top league struggle to average 5000 even with 3 or 4 Rantic visits.

Folk aren't blind or stupid.

Yet they are doing it endlessly with women's sport, especially women's fitba and women's cricket.

Dunno what they pay for those rights, mind.

Its almost as if Scotland is poorly served by making up a small % of a much larger whole. Whod have thought that?

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 05:20 PM
All very well saying its because of supply and demand etc. What those arguing against the idea we are being shortchanged in comparison to what is being paid and subsequently invested in the English game is that all the years that this has happened has helped to raise the standard of that football to make it the attractive proposition it is now.

Are you blaming the BBC for this?

Sky have put many billions into English football because they make many billions selling the games across the globe.

I'm not sure what the BBC could have done about that.

davhibby
11-07-2022, 05:20 PM

We can’t command much higher than we’ve got for the current deal because even when Sky and BT had rights, we only offered out 60 odd games. The current deal is only 48. All the comparable leagues in population and stature that get much more than us do so because all/almost all games are shown live on TV.

So the question people need to ask is if the extra money is worth pretty much never playing on a Saturday at 3 anymore.

Alfred E Newman
11-07-2022, 05:27 PM

I wouldn't.

Just_Jimmy
11-07-2022, 05:32 PM
It gets plum BBC slots for the Euros and World Cup only. The BBC show the World Cup and the Euros for both male or female, irrespective of the viewing figures.

The 'English' league games don't get plum slots on BBC. They're mainly on the red button and maybe a few Sunday afternoon slots. Ye'd never see Arsenal v Chelsea in the league on BBC on a Wednesday evening for example. I'm pretty sure most of them are on the iPlayer.

The WSL deal with Sky & the BBC is 'up to' £24m spread over 3 years. I'd imagine pretty all of that is paid by Sky.

The SPFL deal with Sky is £125m over 5 years.And all the WSL clubs are loss leading even with the TV deal.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
11-07-2022, 05:33 PM
We can’t command much higher than we’ve got for the current deal because even when Sky and BT had rights, we only offered out 60 odd games. The current deal is only 48. All the comparable leagues in population and stature that get much more than us do so because all/almost all games are shown live on TV.

So the question people need to ask is if the extra money is worth pretty much never playing on a Saturday at 3 anymore.

We can't command higher, because no-one is willing to pay any more. The reason for that is surely obvious.

The audience simply isn't there, either in the UK or the rest of the world.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 05:51 PM

It wasn’t the BBC that did that though. It was Sky. A commercial business looking to make a profit made this happen. They knew the money that was being paid by ITV at the time was a pittance in comparison to what was being paid in Italy, Spain and Germany and the profits companies like Rai were making out of them.

They had a football mad nation with a huge population to sell it to and proceeded to make enormous profits out of it.

On top of that, Sky did invest in Scottish football in the 90’s. It made very little difference as Sky didn’t get the viewers. Then the SPL shot itself in the foot by rejecting the £65m Sky deal 2002 and the best deal they could get was £3m a year from the BBC and set the league back years.

WhileTheChief..
11-07-2022, 06:12 PM
From memory, Sky were showing Scottish football a couple of years before the English Premier League was formed.

Their teams were still banned from Europe following Heysel and with Gazza signing for Rangers the interest in our game was huge.

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 06:24 PM
From memory, Sky were showing Scottish football a couple of years before the English Premier League was formed.

Their teams were still banned from Europe following Heysel and with Gazza signing for Rangers the interest in our game was huge.

There was the odd game on Sky before the PL. Gazza had just signed for Lazio when the PL kicked off and signed for the Huns 3 years after.

WhileTheChief..
11-07-2022, 06:28 PM
There was the odd game on Sky before the PL. Gazza had just signed for Lazio when the PL kicked off and signed for the Huns 3 years after.

Didn't we have a couple of full season's coverage before the EPL?

I remember my dad signing up for BSkyB i think it was at the time, specifically for the football. 1989 i think.

30+ years ago so could easily be wrong!

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2022, 06:30 PM
Is the BBC deal just for highlights of Champ League games or for showing live matches - £20m seems cheqp if it is live games

Just bumping this as no-one seems to have answered it .

Are BT still involved?

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 06:40 PM
Just bumping this as no-one seems to have answered it .

Are BT still involved?

BT still have the main rights. The CL always had a free to air package which was somehow scooped up by BT. The BBC must have bought that I’d imagine.

Edit. Looks like it’s just highlights. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/01/amazon-and-bbc-break-bt-stranglehold-on-champions-league-football

Winston Ingram
11-07-2022, 06:45 PM

I remember my dad signing up for BSkyB i think it was at the time, specifically for the football. 1989 i think.

Aye they had the odd game. I’m pretty sure the 1-1 draw at Tynie where Tommy McIntyre scored a pen was on Sky. That was 8 months before the PL started.

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2022, 06:45 PM
BT still have the main rights. The CL always had a free to air package which was somehow scooped up by BT. The BBC must have bought that I’d imagine.

Ta :aok:

LancashireHibby
11-07-2022, 07:02 PM
I’ve taken barely a passing interest while the CL has been on BT. As a subscriber to Sky and Premier, there was no way I was adding another subscription. Might stick the highlights on series link once available, though admittedly I’ve got the same with MOTD and usually just end up deleting them.

brianmc
11-07-2022, 09:18 PM

English teams were banned from European football for 5 years from 1985 (LFC got an additional year).

The Geordie clown joined the old hun in 1995.

jacomo
11-07-2022, 10:47 PM

BBC isn’t a government department.

Steven79
12-07-2022, 09:01 AM
BBC isn’t a government department.Sure?

In Scotland it's a Tory/unionist propoganda channel.

delbert
12-07-2022, 09:43 AM

This just seems to be an utter waste of licence payers money for games which most of the country can see live and in full a few hours earlier with just a couple of clicks. Smacks of desperation to somehow get an invite to a party where they can’t actually afford to buy a decent present.

Numptie
12-07-2022, 09:46 AM
My mate had a squarial (not a satellite dish) through BSB and I'm sure they showed Scottish Football before the English deal was done. BSB and Sky merged soon after to form BSkyB so I'm not sure about the timings - but I know I watched Scottish football before English football was transmitted by satellite.

Hibbyradge
12-07-2022, 02:16 PM
This just seems to be an utter waste of licence payers money for games which most of the country can see live and in full a few hours earlier with just a couple of clicks. Smacks of desperation to somehow get an invite to a party where they can’t actually afford to buy a decent present.

Millions of people don't have BT Sport.

Gloucester Hibs
12-07-2022, 02:56 PM

Yep - couple of seasons at least. I can remember a 1990/91 derby at Easter Road being shown, and the 1992 New Year's Day derby where Tommy McIntyre scored a penalty in a 1-1 draw. Also I think they showed the Scottish Cup and the League Cup too. As this was pre-EPL Sky had their "A-Listers" Martin Tyler and Andy Gray doing the commentary. This was when Sky Sports was "free" which all changed of course once they bought top flight English football and created what is now the EPL.

O'Rourke3
14-07-2022, 09:13 PM
i'd be happy if BBC Alba actually used a HD camera for all games in Scotland, male and female, the camera quality is shocking

maybe they could crowdfund for HD camerasIts not the camera, the chanel is not broadcast in HD

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
14-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Sure?

In Scotland it's a Tory/unionist propoganda channel.

Deary me.

nonshinyfinish
15-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Its not the camera, the chanel is not broadcast in HD

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I'd imagine if you watched the same game via iPlayer or the BBC Sport website you would get it in HD (at the cost of a slight delay).

Spooky
15-07-2022, 03:49 PM
BBC has absolutely no interest in ‘real life’.

I live in England (sorry)

If you are not a “w****” male, then you are OUT

Not only in Scotland, the BBC are a disgrace.

Please don’t think you are being persecuted in Scotland.

The BBC “bend” to a minority.

Why to we have to pay for the overpaid ‘pl##@ezz’?