PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Clyde 09 07 2022)

Jonnyboy
09-07-2022, 05:53 PM
After having been glad to see the end of last season, I was suitably pumped up for this season’s opener against Clyde. On paper at least and on the limited viewing of them in Portugal I was quite excited to see these new guys in action but of course, due to delays in getting work permits, a few missed out and only David Marshall and Nohan Kenneh were in the starting eleven. Marshall had only the threat of sunburn to bother him whilst Kenneh looked solid in midfield although he tired towards the end of the ninety minutes.

As to the game, the opening exchanges showed that Hibs are going to be a team that pushes high and challenges promptly if possession is lost. It’s high energy stuff and so fitness is key if players want to keep their place in the team. I was taken back to memories John Collins’ days when Hibs hunted in packs to get the ball back which was evidenced today.

The first ten minutes saw Hibs dominate the ball but being faced with a packed Clyde defence. Even so, it seemed only a matter of time before their dominance paid off and following unsuccessful efforts from Campbell, Melkersen and Doidge, the last of those three opened the scoring from a cross from the right. Doidge arrived at the back post and under pressure he nudged the ball home.

Hibs were playing some nice stuff and the quick movement in passing of the ball in combined with clever runs off it brought goal number two. Campbell’s fine pass picked out Melkersen in the box and the Hibs man swivelled before sending a low shot past Parry to make it 2-0. Melkersen’s celebration had the look of those demonstrated by Ambrose and Mixu in times gone by.

The visitors were rocking by this time and five minutes later, a fabulous mazy run from Doyle-Hayes ended with him picking Doidge out in the box and the big striker lifted the ball over the diving Parry for a finish equal to the pass setting him up. Sixty seconds later, Doidge completed his hat trick from a Chris Cadden pass and I cannot tell you how delighted I was for the big fella who looks more mobile than he was after he came back from injury.

Ten minutes from the break, Clyde had a chance to score a goal of their own when awarded a free kick in a central position just outside the penalty box, but Cunningham went for power and smashed the ball high over the bar. The game soon settled back into its pattern with Hibs pushing forward at every opportunity and with a few minutes left of the first half, scored a fifth goal when Henderson picked out Campbell some seven or eight yards from goal. Campbell struck the ball for the far corner, but it hit a defender and flew into the net. There may be some debate as to whether it was an own goal, but the shot was on target and so I’m giving it to Josh. Prior to the half time whistle, Grant was booked for a rash tackle on Josh Campbell.

During the interval the discussion was around which players had shone the most and in truth none of them was found wanting. My own view was that Kenneh looks solid, Campbell was very good, Doyle-Hayes revelled in the freedom this new approach offers him and Melkersen will benefit hugely by having others up alongside him. The laddie’s movement will trouble far better defences than the one he faced today.

I expected changes at half time but only one was made with McClelland replacing Bushiri. Being 5-0 up it must be difficult to keep the pace in the game and to an extent, and especially in the first half of the second half, I felt our tempo dropped markedly. Having said that we were only really under pressure the once when Clyde broke away and their attacker was being pursued by Stevenson and McGeady, the latter having replaced Doyle-Hayes on the hour mark. The two Hibs man negated the threat and I found it kind of amusing that two players the wrong side of thirty were able to show a level of fitness that allowed them to pursue and close down the threat.

When McGeady came on, so too did Newell and Miller with Doidge and Campbell making way. Miller slotted in at right back and Cadden moved up one. Melkersen went close with an effort that flew just wide and then a Kenneh shot was charged down.

It was a bit like a training game now but still there were positives to pick out. McGeady will be an asset for sure; Henderson dealt much better with attempts to bump him off the ball and Dylan Tait looks like he will be in and around the squad in future.

A 5-0 win is pleasing by any measure and although it will be pointed out that it was ‘only’ Clyde, a wee look at how St. Mirren got on today against lower league opposition means whoever you are playing you have to perform to win.

The players

David Marshall – A spectator today and did not have to make a single save. Unlike his predecessor, he was quick to get things moving again when he had the ball at his feet.

Chris Cadden – Playing n a deeper role he still managed to get forward a lot and had an assist to his name.

Ryan Porteous – Strolled in the sunshine, never under threat and more than happy to get himself in to attacking areas. One or two of his long range passes were first class.

Rocky Bushiri – I’m not sure why Rocky was replaced at the interval because, other than one slight miscue he was very good. I also felt he dispelled some of the chat about his ability in the air as I reckon, he won every header.

Lewis Stevenson – Solid as a rock defensively and got up and down the line well enough.

Jake Doyle-Hayes – Given the freedom to play further forward he was like a different and better player. His use of the ball was great and his energy levels impressive.

Nohan Kenneh – After a wobbly few minutes at the start I felt he settled down and played the holding role very well.

Josh Campbell – Has his critics and I confess I’ve been amongst them in the past but like Doyle-Hayes he played with a freedom today in scoring one and assisting another.

Henderson – This is the Henderson you want to see. Clever use of the ball, willingness to get involved in the physical battle and a real eye for a pass.

Melkersen – Took his goal really well and badgered the visiting defenders throughout.

Doidge – Christian must surely get a massive boost to his confidence after today. The goals were good enough, but he showed, both in attack and defence, that he still has much to offer.

Kyle McClelland – I was massively impressed by Kyle as he looked calm, composed and ready for anything coming his way. If Porto leaves (and I hope he doesn’t) we may already have his replacement.

Aiden McGeady – I saw enough today to convince me he’ll be a big player for us this season.

Joe Newell – Got around the park well enough but showed his weakness in front of goal twice.

Lewis Miller – Perhaps nerves got to him, but he looked a tad shaky at times.

Dylan Tait – I’ve watched him a few times when he was at Raith and I felt then that he had it in him to make the step up. I still do.

Lee Johnson – Will be delighted with the first 45 but will look to make us play that way for 90.

Referee – Craig Napier – Pretty anonymous for the most part.

Billy Whizz
09-07-2022, 06:19 PM
Agree with all of this JB. A nice sunny day at ER and a convincing victory, albeit against a team well below our level
Will do the lads confidence good too. Nice to hear Rocky get cheered when he was involved. Think he picked up a little injury just before half time
Maybe see you on Tuesday

Baldy Foghorn
09-07-2022, 06:23 PM
Thought Melkersen was superb, his run for the opener was sublime

GreenCastle
09-07-2022, 06:23 PM
JDH playing further forward definitely more noticeable.

Doidge and Melkersen will score goals if given the service.

It’s odd we still don’t like to shoot from outside the box. Hopefully we will see more long range strikes as some teams will be harder to break down.

hibby6270
09-07-2022, 06:31 PM
Thanks JB. Missed the game today due to a work commitment.
Good to hear the style of play continued from the 2 outings in Portugal.
As you say ‘it was only Clyde’ but no matter the opposition, we still need to be clinical and from you4 words - we were. Long may it last.

JohnM1875
09-07-2022, 06:41 PM
Totally agree with the assessment of the game.

When I saw McClelland was coming on I actually thought it would've been for Porto with the game being done at 5-0 and Rocky having a solid first half behind him. But I was majorly impressed with McClelland. He looked absolutely fantastic today! A signing I thought nothing of but now I'm chuffed we've made.

Groathillgrump
09-07-2022, 06:45 PM
I agree with you about McClelland, JB.

I realise it's early days but from what I've seen of him in the two friendly games in Portugal and today, he could turn out to be a very good player for us.

Ryan91
09-07-2022, 06:49 PM
Thanks JB. Missed the game today due to a work commitment.
Good to hear the style of play continued from the 2 outings in Portugal.
As you say ‘it was only Clyde’ but no matter the opposition, we still need to be clinical and from you4 words - we were. Long may it last.

There have been occasions in recent years where we have laboured through ties with lower league opposition. Long have many called for us to be dominating these ties, today we did just that and the second half was pretty much a pre-season friendly

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Feels like you have never been away

I was mightily impressed with McClelland

Surprised The Rangers let him go

Would like to see him against sterner opposition but acquitted himself well to the mental and physical challenge and was calm assured and two footed on the ball

Reminded me of Josh Doig

I know Josh was used as a wing back but he was always earmarked to be a future centre back

McClelland looked better defensively but difficult to judge after only one game

Up-the-slope
09-07-2022, 07:03 PM
As a previous poster under another moniker who left a number of years ago, as the drivel and baiting was relentless and the fun had gone:rolleyes:.... I only created another account a couple of years later so that I could continue to read 'This is how it feels'........

Football has truly returned now that JB is back doing what he does best :hibees

I would love to hear you commentating JB - perhaps a guest on Hibs TV :dunno:

Anyway keep it up and I will enjoy from my Lurkers Loft

Tambo
09-07-2022, 07:34 PM
I'm really pleased of the start we have made so far under Johnson, every player seems up for it.

4 players with an assist and 3 different goal scorers if we give Campbell his and lots of attacking options still to come in.

Never get carried away but can't of asked for more so far from the boys.

On to Tuesday.

Dazzjw1875
09-07-2022, 07:39 PM
First half stand outs for me melkerson great runs, hendo some nice touches and obv doidge for hatrick.. 2nd half standout for me the CB we brought on not scared to put his head in and looked very calm on the ball. But 2nd half was poor just a passing exercise we shouldve went for as many goals as possible. But in a good place with so many still to come in.

HIBS NUTS
09-07-2022, 08:26 PM
First half stand outs for me melkerson great runs, hendo some nice touches and obv doidge for hatrick.. 2nd half standout for me the CB we brought on not scared to put his head in and looked very calm on the ball. But 2nd half was poor just a passing exercise we shouldve went for as many goals as possible. But in a good place with so many still to come in.

agree 100 percent with first and second half analysis.

Hibernian Verse
09-07-2022, 08:34 PM

I think they were just knackered after 55/60 mins in that sunshine. It’s still early days.

HIBS NUTS
09-07-2022, 08:46 PM

agree 100 percent with first and second half analysis.

Lancs Harp
09-07-2022, 10:14 PM
Nice point about Marshall i noticed myself. The way he moves the ball on quickly, very often a first touch pass. He knows where he wants to kick before the ball arrives. Compare that to previous recent keepers who needed too much time and often needed several touches and several looks up before releasing. Saved a few bob this afternoon no need to wash his kit. About all he did have to save!!

PatHead
09-07-2022, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the report. Who did you have as man of the match?

Lancs Harp
09-07-2022, 10:18 PM

Got to be Doidge for getting a hatrick surely?

B.H.F.C
09-07-2022, 10:20 PM
Got to be Doidge for getting a hatrick surely?

Agree but thought Melkersen’s all round game was very good. Should have had more than the one goal though.

AZhibee
09-07-2022, 11:20 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy!

jonny
09-07-2022, 11:42 PM
Fair report. I agree with most but not so much with comments regarding Kenneh. I thought he was really wasteful in possession throughout and must've badly misplaced at least half a dozen passes.
It's very early days for him so definitely willing to give the lad a chance, he comes with good pedigree so I think there must be a player in there- just for me he didn't show it today.

NAE NOOKIE
10-07-2022, 12:37 AM
Fair report. I agree with most but not so much with comments regarding Kenneh. I thought he was really wasteful in possession throughout and must've badly misplaced at least half a dozen passes.
It's very early days for him so definitely willing to give the lad a chance, he comes with good pedigree so I think there must be a player in there- just for me he didn't show it today.

Got to agree with that ..... in both friendlies in Portugal and today he looks shaky on the ball, he holds it far too long looking for a pass that's staring him in the face at his first touch of the ball, and yet he doesn't play it, he needs to be far more switched on.

That aside, after 5 minutes today I noticed 2 passes where the ball was given away by Hibs players under no pressure. I decided to pay attention to that and in the 90 minutes we did it 12 times .... I am not counting balls played through trying to find a runner or passes that might have been good but for being slightly under hit, I'm talking about easy passes under no pressure that either didn't find their target or went out of play .... we have to cut that stuff out.

Forza Fred
10-07-2022, 12:41 AM
Didn’t think Miller looked ‘shaky’….more …’unsure’….would be the way I would describe it.

He did ok, but I do agree that he was much more tentative than what I have seen him in the past.

No doubt, playing in his first game in Europe he was more concerned with not stuffing up than anything else.

A bit like when we start a new job……the first few days seem awful and we are desperate not to make a fool of ourselves ..".until we settle in and our confidence is up.

As I say, he’ll be fine when he settles in and feels an equal, rather than a ‘new boy’

Having said that, he’s going to have to fight very hard to replace Cadden, based on the latter’s current form.

buktapurple79
10-07-2022, 12:41 AM
Bevvied, aye, but got a good vibe about the Cabbage this season, LJ ex Yam may be a master class in reverse sociology as he will fae the right mind games wae the lads. They’re a burst flush, we’re unknown qualities. Bring it on ma man

Smartie
10-07-2022, 07:27 AM
I agree that there was the odd example of rustiness / sloppiness - but surely that’s to be expected at this stage?

It was the first competitive game, the league doesn’t start for a few weeks, we had a few debutants and a few players adapting to their new team mates / a new level and a new style of football.

I’d probably be more concerned if we were playing as well as we possibly could. To have played well but still have room for improvement is surely a good thing?

Greenbeard
10-07-2022, 08:22 AM
"Referee – Craig Napier – Pretty anonymous for the most part."

Biggest compliment you can pay any ref. Here's hoping for more such assessments through the season especially v. The Uglies and Them. Not holding my breath mind.

Jonnyboy
10-07-2022, 09:17 PM
As a previous poster under another moniker who left a number of years ago, as the drivel and baiting was relentless and the fun had gone:rolleyes:.... I only created another account a couple of years later so that I could continue to read 'This is how it feels'........

Thank you, kind sir :aok:

I'd love a wee shot at commentating/summarising as it would take me back to my days when I commentated on Hibs Interactive. Sadly, it's unlikely :greengrin

Oops, first day back and an error already :greengrin Probably give it to Doidge but Melkersen would run him close

jacomo
10-07-2022, 10:48 PM

Mon DTS.

Unseen work
11-07-2022, 06:14 AM
Great result and delighted for Doidge to get the ball rolling in terms of goals. First was actually well taken considering how awkward it was, second a very good finish and third….well 😅

I was really impressed with Melkersen, Henderson and Campbell in the forward areas. Campbell’s pressing, ability to win the ball back and then quality on the ball and forward runs were really good, was happy to see him on the scoresheet.

I’m actually glad Johnson never seemed over the moon with the game though and said there’s still a couple of red flags.

The team understandably got tired second half but I think one of the concerns would be how they gave the ball away carelessly, in fairness that is probably due to being 5-0 up too and not concentrating - this is what they’ll want to stomp out though.

For me it was one where Porteous had the ball, chipped it into newells chest who then took a touch and volleyed it into Kenneh’s throat who ended up fouling the Clyde player. Needless and against better teams will get us punished.

Kenneh is one player I’m still waiting to see something from, that’s across all three games. He wins the ball back quite a bit and looks awkward to play against but some of his passes/touches are very poor. Happy to put this down to rustiness however.

Miller I thought was good and felt for him as he came on at a point when the game was dead but he was still keen to get forward and create. Couple of times the ball seemed to get stuck under his foot, don’t know if this was long/dry grass or a bit of nerves.

McLellend in all 3 games has looked a class act. Very composed and good on the ball, almost effortless. He’s had very little to do defensively when he’s played but when called upon has done so with ease. It will be interesting to see how he copes when we’re playing big physical teams who punt it in the box at every opportunity.

All in all a really positive start to competitive football, the ability to win the ball back quickly with a press and then punish teams is great to see.

Tug Wilson
11-07-2022, 05:11 PM
Great result and delighted for Doidge to get the ball rolling in terms of goals. First was actually well taken considering how awkward it was, second a very good finish and third….well 😅

I was really impressed with Melkersen, Henderson and Campbell in the forward areas. Campbell’s pressing, ability to win the ball back and then quality on the ball and forward runs were really good, was happy to see him on the scoresheet.

I’m actually glad Johnson never seemed over the moon with the game though and said there’s still a couple of red flags.

The team understandably got tired second half but I think one of the concerns would be how they gave the ball away carelessly, in fairness that is probably due to being 5-0 up too and not concentrating - this is what they’ll want to stomp out though.

For me it was one where Porteous had the ball, chipped it into newells chest who then took a touch and volleyed it into Kenneh’s throat who ended up fouling the Clyde player. Needless and against better teams will get us punished.

Kenneh is one player I’m still waiting to see something from, that’s across all three games. He wins the ball back quite a bit and looks awkward to play against but some of his passes/touches are very poor. Happy to put this down to rustiness however.

Miller I thought was good and felt for him as he came on at a point when the game was dead but he was still keen to get forward and create. Couple of times the ball seemed to get stuck under his foot, don’t know if this was long/dry grass or a bit of nerves.

McLellend in all 3 games has looked a class act. Very composed and good on the ball, almost effortless. He’s had very little to do defensively when he’s played but when called upon has done so with ease. It will be interesting to see how he copes when we’re playing big physical teams who punt it in the box at every opportunity.

All in all a really positive start to competitive football, the ability to win the ball back quickly with a press and then punish teams is great to see.

Funny how opinions can differ.

I thought Kenneh was very solid and looked the part. The job he did allowed the likes of Campbell, JDH and Henderson to push forward.

Miller on the other hand concerns me. Looked cumbersome and a bit lost. He is a big unit though and might just need game time.

Rocky is definitely a limited centre half. However, he kept it simple and was OK. McLellend looked class.

Melkersen looks a fabulous player.

So many things to be encouraged by.

Lancs Harp
11-07-2022, 05:15 PM
Funny how opinions can differ.

I thought Kenneh was very solid and looked the part. The job he did allowed the likes of Campbell, JDH and Henderson to push forward.

Miller on the other hand concerns me. Looked cumbersome and a bit lost. He is a big unit though and might just need game time.

Rocky is definitely a limited centre half. However, he kept it simple and was OK. McLellend looked class.

Melkersen looks a fabulous player.

So many things to be encouraged by.

Early days yet of course but i thought Kenneh gave the ball away too easily on a few occasions and worry if you get in his face as surely far better teams than Clyde will do he will cough the ball up.