PDA

View Full Version : Question Injury updates

RoxburghHibs
08-07-2022, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know the current status of our remaining injured players? That said compared to the second half of last season we are in much better shape for sure.

Kyle Magennis - last update I read he was near to returning at the end of last season however they decided to hold back to ensure he was ready for the new season.
However I notice he didn't feature in the two friendlies in Portugal. Will he be in the squad tomorrow or will we need to wait a little longer?

Demetri Mitchell - I've not heard or seen anything on Demetri's current status

Dylan Tait - I know Dylan was injured whilst on loan at Killie last season. Any updates on his return?

Kevin Nisbet - last update I read was his op went well and the target was an October return.

Paul Hanlon - another who didn't feature in the two pre-season friendlies. Not sure if that was precautionary or if he is out for a spell?

Brightside
08-07-2022, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know the current status of our remaining injured players? That said compared to the second half of last season we are in much better shape for sure.

Kyle Magennis - last update I read he was near to returning at the end of last season however they decided to hold back to ensure he was ready for the new season. However I notice he didn't feature in the two friendlies in Portugal. Will he be in the squad tomorrow or will we need to wait a little longer?

Dylan Tait - I know Dylan was injured whilst on loan at Killie last season. Any updates on his return?

Kevin Nisbet - last update I read was his op went well and they target was an October return.

Paul Hanlon - another who didn't feature in the two pre-season friendlies. Not sure if that was precautionary or if he is out for a spell?

Paul and Kyle are running. Wont be in the squad yet
Dylan has played for the Dev team - chat is he will go out on loan.
Demetri - no idea. Nothing been mentioned for a while
Kevin - still in rehab. Oct hopefully but Dec more likely.

04Sauzee
08-07-2022, 08:30 AM

Kyle Magennis - last update I read he was near to returning at the end of last season however they decided to hold back to ensure he was ready for the new season.
However I notice he didn't feature in the two friendlies in Portugal. Will he be in the squad tomorrow or will we need to wait a little longer?

Kevin Nisbet - last update I read was his op went well and the target was an October return.

Tait definitely played the other night in the development game so believe he's fit.

nonshinyfinish
08-07-2022, 08:31 AM
Hanlon had surgery during the close season and was still doing rehab from that during the Portugal trip. IIRC he said during commentary on the Hartlepool game that he was back running.

Unless there's another Kyle that I've forgotten, Magennis must have been doing some training in Portugal as one of the coaches shouted 'Kyle' during a drill in the miked up training video.

EDIT: just remembered Kyle McClelland…

RoxburghHibs
08-07-2022, 09:09 AM
Thanks all :thumbsup:

oneone73
08-07-2022, 09:11 AM
Anyone heard how Hauge's injury is?

Stubbsy90+2
08-07-2022, 09:12 AM
Hanlon had surgery during the close season and was still doing rehab from that during the Portugal trip. IIRC he said during commentary on the Hartlepool game that he was back running.

Unless there's another Kyle that I've forgotten, Magennis must have been doing some training in Portugal as one of the coaches shouted 'Kyle' during a drill in the miked up training video.

EDIT: just remembered Kyle McClelland…

Would probably have been McLelland. Magennis isn’t back in full training.

ancient hibee
08-07-2022, 09:43 AM

Do you mean better shape because we’ve got others who can come in because we’re certainly no better with the actual injury list.

McGruber
08-07-2022, 09:47 AM
Do you mean better shape because we’ve got others who can come in because we’re certainly no better with the actual injury list.

Think we had as much as 14 out at a point last season so probably just better in numbers.

Since452
08-07-2022, 09:48 AM
Was wondering this too. Magennis and Mitchell are two potentially huge players for us. Was hoping they'd both be back training.

Stubbsy90+2
08-07-2022, 09:52 AM
Was wondering this too. Magennis and Mitchell are two potentially huge players for us. Was hoping they'd both be back training.

We’re now approaching the point where the people injured players will have missed all of pre season which is hugely disappointing

ancient hibee
08-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Think we had as much as 14 out at a point last season so probably just better in numbers.

I’m thinking more of the quality of the missing players.

RoxburghHibs
08-07-2022, 09:56 AM

We had double figures in regards to players being injured last season so have 3 or 4 out is far better in that regards.

RoxburghHibs
08-07-2022, 09:56 AM

Yip exactly that. Never seen anything like it at Hibs or any other club for that matter as these 14 were all from our first team squad.

Lendo
08-07-2022, 10:01 AM
I had totally forgotten about Dimitri Mitchell!

Superfurry72
08-07-2022, 10:02 AM
Mitchell is a strange one as (if I recall correctly) he made the bench for one of the games at the end of the season, then disappeared again. We've heard nothing since!

04Sauzee
08-07-2022, 10:05 AM
Mitchell is a strange one as (if I recall correctly) he made the bench for one of the games at the end of the season, then disappeared again. We've heard nothing since!

He came off the bench against Livingston at the end of April. Then as you say disappeared, can't recall if he had a operation after that or just broke down not sure

EVENTUALLY
08-07-2022, 10:05 AM

Was the Mitchell on the bench maybe the goalie Mitchell who has now left the club.

AlbertK86
08-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Had a foot op and is still recovering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superfurry72
08-07-2022, 10:08 AM
Was the Mitchell on the bench maybe the goalie Mitchell who has now left the club.

No, it was definitely him for the Livingston game, played the last 10 minutes, as although I'd forgotten he even came on! Just checked the match report...

Since452
08-07-2022, 11:06 AM
We’re now approaching the point where the people injured players will have missed all of pre season which is hugely disappointing

Yeah it is. Already playing catch up which isn't great.

Cat Stanton
08-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Nisbet hopefully back ("in contention") ahead of schedule by end of October (according to EEN today).

Cat Stanton
08-07-2022, 12:00 PM
Nisbet hopefully back ("in contention") ahead of schedule by end of October (according to EEN today).

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/kevin-nisbet-injury-latest-as-hibs-boss-lee-johnson-gives-cautious-update-on-strikers-comeback-3761079

basehibby
08-07-2022, 12:36 PM
Would probably have been McLelland. Magennis isn’t back in full training.

A bit concerning that Magennis isn't back in full training - I thought the word was that he was almost ready at the end of last season - surely if that was the case he would have been right in there at the start of pre-season!

Onceinawhile
08-07-2022, 02:37 PM
A bit concerning that Magennis isn't back in full training - I thought the word was that he was almost ready at the end of last season - surely if that was the case he would have been right in there at the start of pre-season!

I'm sure he went for surgery in the last two or three weeks of the season though.

basehibby
08-07-2022, 02:46 PM
I'm sure he went for surgery in the last two or three weeks of the season though.

I don't remember reading about that but makes sense I suppose - any idea about the nature of the surgery and recovery schedule?

Ronniekirk
08-07-2022, 02:55 PM
We had double figures in regards to players being injured last season so have 3 or 4 out is far better in that regards.

Agree but the season hasn’t really started yet But surely it can’t get as bad as last season

Ronniekirk
08-07-2022, 02:59 PM

Yep the lack of update is strange given we were led to believe he was making better progress than expected towards the latter part of the season
He has a history of injuries so it’s a worry if he broke down again
An update would be good

Cat Stanton
08-07-2022, 03:35 PM
Yep the lack of update is strange given we were led to believe he was making better progress than expected towards the latter part of the season
He has a history of injuries so it’s a worry if he broke down again
An update would be good

From EEN link posted earlier: "Hanlon and Magennis both did some light running in the Algarve and Johnson is hopeful of having them and Mitchell back in contention sooner rather than later".

Cat Stanton
16-07-2022, 05:39 PM
In case not posted elsewhere, some seemingly positive news on the injury front:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/positive-hibs-injury-news-updates-on-demetri-mitchell-paul-hanlon-kyle-magennis-kevin-nisbet-and-momodou-bojang-3770874

H18 SFR
22-07-2022, 03:30 PM
Any further update on Magennis?

w pilton hibby
22-07-2022, 06:59 PM
From the EEN

Hibs handed injury boost as Paul Hanlon and Demi Mitchell return to training

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-handed-injury-boost-as-paul-hanlon-and-demi-mitchell-return-to-training-3779378

Big_Franck
22-07-2022, 07:06 PM
Any further update on Magennis?

There's been nothing on him for months, as far as I remember. There were noises about him returning to full training around April and then it's gone all quiet again since.

We really should be planning our squad without Magennis. I don't want to hear anyone at the club blaming any poor future results on not having him available. We know the score with Magennis now, so it'd be unbelievably naive to plan for him to play a big part this year.

Mikey_1875
22-07-2022, 07:15 PM
There's been nothing on him for months, as far as I remember. There were noises about him returning to full training around April and then it's gone all quiet again since.

We really should be planning our squad without Magennis. I don't want to hear anyone at the club blaming any poor future results on not having him available. We know the score with Magennis now, so it'd be unbelievably naive to plan for him to play a big part this year.

Ron Gordon sounded as frustrated as the rest of us when he mentioned Magennis yesterday. Didn’t get the impression he was close to a return even though he never really gave much away.

Agree fully that we can’t be relying on him at all and need a replacement.

Waxy
22-07-2022, 08:05 PM
Its been so long i’ve forgotten what Mcgennis’s injury was and how long he’s been out for.

H18 SFR
22-07-2022, 08:18 PM

Sounds fair enough when put like that.

loanheadhibby
22-07-2022, 10:05 PM

Totally agree a disastrous signing but obviously wish him all the best for the future.

JohnM1875
22-07-2022, 10:09 PM
Ron Gordon sounded as frustrated as the rest of us when he mentioned Magennis yesterday. Didn’t get the impression he was close to a return even though he never really gave much away.

Agree fully that we can’t be relying on him at all and need a replacement.

Aye thought RG was equally as frustrated as the fans with not having Magennis back. Said something along the lines of 'we're going to try again with him' I'm sure.

Such a shame but he's going to be nowhere near ready anytime soon I reckon. Isn't back in full training yet then you have to think it'll take a good while to get match fit and used to playing again. Hasn't played a game in about a year

GreenCastle
22-07-2022, 10:14 PM
Its been so long i’ve forgotten what Mcgennis’s injury was and how long he’s been out for.

September 2021

Nearly 10 months out injured.

Sir David Gray
22-07-2022, 10:23 PM
Aye thought RG was equally as frustrated as the fans with not having Magennis back. Said something along the lines of 'we're going to try again with him' I'm sure.

Such a shame but he's going to be nowhere near ready anytime soon I reckon. Isn't back in full training yet then you have to think it'll take a good while to get match fit and used to playing again. Hasn't played a game in about a year

Yeah I don't think we can rely on Magennis being available anytime soon and even when he is back I don't think we can rely on him being available for any length of time.

It's a shame because he could solve a lot of our problems in midfield but I don't think it's very likely unfortunately.

One Day Soon
22-07-2022, 10:31 PM
I remember talking years ago to a Hearts insider about one of their long term injured players in the ‘MITA’ squad from the ‘80s - one of their better players - who he described this way “he’s got a really bad ankle injury, in his head”. Some players get that way and once that’s the case it’s rare it gets turned around.

Ronniekirk
22-07-2022, 10:31 PM

A few weeks ago Lee said Mitchel and Hanlon would be back in full training which they are now . I thought he then said Nisbet would be next as he was ahead of schedule ,and Mcgennis was after him with no date set for his return But I may have picked him up wrong

Sir David Gray
22-07-2022, 10:44 PM
A few weeks ago Lee said Mitchel and Hanlon would be back in full training which they are now . I thought he then said Nisbet would be next as he was ahead of schedule ,and Mcgennis was after him with no date set for his return But I may have picked him up wrong

Nisbet's at least three months away so if Magennis is behind Nisbet in terms of a return then we're possibly looking at him not being back until around Christmas.

Big_Franck
23-07-2022, 03:00 AM

I think you may have picked that up wrong Ronnie, I watched the same interview and I'm 90% sure LJ said Mitchell and Hanlon weren't far away, that Kyle was a bit further away and then Nisbet's was longer still. He didn't give any timescale whatsoever for Magennis though, so it didn't sound like an imminent return at all. Must be infuriating for the lad as well no doubt.

hibbydog
23-07-2022, 05:03 AM
Fed up waiting for MCGennis to stop being injured.

We should get shot of him. He’s injured far more than he plays.

Total waste of a wage

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2022, 05:14 AM

Total waste of a wage

Imagine how he feels. Get a grip and support the guy.

04Sauzee
23-07-2022, 05:49 AM

Total waste of a wage

Looking forward to having McGennis,Nesbit, Hanlin and Mitchal all back for and raring to go.

loanheadhibby
23-07-2022, 07:26 AM

I take your point and would love to support him.
Given that he came to Easter Road injured it's been a terrible signing.

flash
23-07-2022, 08:00 AM

Total waste of a wage

Not as fed up as he is about it I reckon.

hibbydog
23-07-2022, 08:02 AM

I do when he plays.

And of course it’s not his fault being injured for so long. It’s a risk every club takes when they sign a player.

But do you honestly think his contract has been money well spent?

Same as the Scott Allan situation. We all knew what he was capable of, and we really wanted him to get back to that. But in the end he just wasn’t playing enough and it was best for everyone that he moved on.

Time will tell if I’m right or wrong. But unless MCGennis plays 25+ games once fit this season, he’s not been anywhere worth it

superfurryhibby
23-07-2022, 08:09 AM
I do when he plays.

And of course it’s not his fault being injured for so long. It’s a risk every club takes when they sign a player.

But do you honestly think his contract has been money well spent?

Same as the Scott Allan situation. We all knew what he was capable of, and we really wanted him to get back to that. But in the end he just wasn’t playing enough and it was best for everyone that he moved on.

Time will tell if I’m right or wrong. But unless MCGennis plays 25+ games once fit this season, he’s not been anywhere worth it

You do understand that Allan's contract had expired and that Magennis has another two seasons after this one?

Based on that fundamental difference, how exactly do we get shot of Magennis?

I wish people would stop talking pointless, cliched, Tom Kite and engage the brain before posting.

hibbydog
23-07-2022, 09:29 AM
You do understand that Allan's contract had expired and that Magennis has another two seasons after this one?

I wish people would stop talking pointless, cliched, Tom Kite and engage the brain before posting.
Have a nice day mate 👍

hibbyfraelibby
23-07-2022, 09:31 AM
To be honest I think we should write off any contribution from our long term injured players this season and plan to get on with the job without them.

If they do return and perform well enough to warrant selection then its a bonus but lets just stop holding our collective breath and get on with molding what we have into a competetive unit.

Carheenlea
23-07-2022, 09:38 AM
Looking forward to having McGennis,Nesbit, Hanlin and Mitchal all back for and raring to go.

Yes, buzzing for season ‘23/‘24.

hibbydog
23-07-2022, 10:10 AM

Totally irrelevant.

The point I’m making is that we should get shot of players who don’t contribute enough. The length of their deal is another matter completely.

Surely with our business savvy, commercially smart owners we can find a way of making this happen?!

Dismissing my point as ‘Tom Kite’ is immature and unnecessary.

I’d prefer to debate the actual topic rather than trading small minded nonsense.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2022, 10:24 AM
Totally irrelevant.

The point I’m making is that we should get shot of players who don’t contribute enough. The length of their deal is another matter completely.

Surely with our business savvy, commercially smart owners we can find a way of making this happen?!

I’d prefer to debate the actual topic rather than trading small minded nonsense.

You just cant get rid of players if you dont happen to rate them, or they are injured for a long period of time.

In fact what player in their right mind would even sign for us knowing we would try and do these things?

LewysGot2
23-07-2022, 11:42 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-handed-injury-boost-as-paul-hanlon-and-demi-mitchell-return-to-training-3779378

DaveF
23-07-2022, 03:00 PM
Does anyone actually know what it is that Magennis is recovering from? Clearly its something serious but what?

Smartie
23-07-2022, 03:07 PM
To be honest I think we should write off any contribution from our long term injured players this season and plan to get on with the job without them.

If they do return and perform well enough to warrant selection then its a bonus but lets just stop holding our collective breath and get on with molding what we have into a competetive unit.

Totally agree.

I’m not anticipating a positive contribution from either Magennis or Nisbet this season.

McD
23-07-2022, 05:39 PM
Totally irrelevant.

your point is Tom Kite though, how do you propose we get shot of him?

I doubt there’s a club anywhere who’s likely to buy him, we can’t sack him (nor should we), and paying off his contract makes no difference to simply letting it run to its conclusion, if anything doing that takes away money from the current coffers. Perhaps he should refuse his wages, and find another way to pay his mortgage and bills, just until he’s fully fit of course :rolleyes:

Whether it turns out to be a good, bad or indifferent deal for Hibs, that’s not KM’s fault. Classy way you want to deal with someone who want injured whilst employed by Hibs

superfurryhibby
23-07-2022, 06:30 PM
Totally irrelevant.

Apologies, I was indeed being a bit immature.

In truth, getting players away from the club, particularly when they have long contracts, It would cost plenty and we do have a fair number of underperforming players like that.

I would like to see more wheeling and dealing from Johnson, but does he have the scope for that or does he have to work with what's provided?

In terms of the injuries. A fit Magennis potentially transforms that midfield. We all hope for his sake and that of Hibs that it happens. Either way, he's staying a Hibs player until that plays out.

Mikey_1875
23-07-2022, 06:37 PM
Has there been any updates on the result of JDH heel scan during the week? I see he’s still on the injury list for tomorrows game but that they were hoping it wasn’t too bad. This would be typical to exacerbate our midfield issues!

GreenCastle
24-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Injury list..I think…

Magennis
Nisbet
McGeady
Stevenson
JDH
Marshall (sick)
Cadden - scan

Returning to training Mitchell and Hanlon.

B.H.F.C
24-07-2022, 05:22 PM
Marshall just a sickness bug. Cadden to get a scan tomorrow on his thigh. Nothing mentioned about McGeady.

Mikey_1875
24-07-2022, 06:12 PM
Comment just put in the EEN about Mcgeady

“Aiden tried to chop inside, and the guy caught him a little bit on the ankle and he felt the joint open up,” Johnson continued.

Sometimes you can run it off, sometimes it takes four or five days. He felt a sharp pain but hopefully it won’t keep him out."

JimBHibees
24-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Marshall just a sickness bug. Cadden to get a scan tomorrow on his thigh. Nothing mentioned about McGeady.

Cadden being injured is a nightmare

LewysGot2
24-07-2022, 06:17 PM
Cadden being injured is a nightmare

Think Johnson said the scan is precautionary so hopefully not too bad 🤞

Billy Whizz
24-07-2022, 06:19 PM
Think Johnson said the scan is precautionary so hopefully not too bad 🤞

Still worryingly enough if they are sending him for a scan
Not going to be an ideal build up to the St Johnstone game if the likes of McGeady and Cadden don’t train