PDA

View Full Version : Help a sassenach out please.

BradtheMiller
04-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Ian here, a 60 year old avid groundhopper & Rotherham United fan. I'm coming up to Easter Road for Saturday's game v Clyde.
Is the stadium walkable from Waverley station or is a bus better?
Best place to eat near the ground etc?
should I keep my gob shut (yorks accent)?
How's Joe Newell doing for you lot?
Are the natives generally friendly?
All help gratefully recieved, cheers!

HibbyAndy
04-07-2022, 01:47 PM
Walk about 25 minutes from Waverley station but buses every two minutes to take you pretty close by

Decent choice of pubs in the vicinity of the stadium

Shout as loud as you want at the match nobody cares and Newell splits opinions :greengrin

matty_f
04-07-2022, 01:47 PM
Ian here, a 60 year old avid groundhopper & Rotherham United fan. I'm coming up to Easter Road for Saturday's game v Clyde.
Stadium is easily walkable from the station - will take less than 30 minutes for most folks.
Wouldn’t worry about the accent, would be astonished if that bothered anyone.

Joe Newell’s had his good moments and not so good, when he’s at it he’s one of our best players, imho.

Enjoy the game!

Mcbizz1998
04-07-2022, 01:49 PM

It’s walkable for Waverley but will take about 30 mins I would think. Roughly 2 miles.

Lots of places to eat near the ground - best places are at the shore imo but also some good ones in Leith walk.

Nobody will care about your accent.

Joe Newell causes a bit of a debate on here, personally, I like him and think he has done well.

Generally friendly, plus it’s not a big game so won’t be a big crowd or some of the unsavoury characters that tend to come with it.

Enjoy the game, mate.

04Sauzee
04-07-2022, 01:51 PM
Like others have said the accent won't bother anyone so definitely don't be worrying about that.

Walkable from Waverly and mainly downhill all the way

Loads of places to grab a bite to eat

And lastly enjoy the game and hopefully you visit again.

Bridge hibs
04-07-2022, 01:52 PM
All help gratefully recieved, cheers!Hi Ian, yes its walkable but its a trek, I would get a bus to the top of Easter road and walk down, few good pubs on Easter road for a pint or 7, unsure about food though but the Omni centre down from Waverley has a few eateries

No problems with accents, we are a broad church and have many followers from England etc

Joe Newell, next question 🤣 nah he has looked sharp pre season

And yes of course we are friendly, we are a passionate bunch, google hibs v rangers scottish cup final and our rendition of Sunshine on Leith 🇳🇬👍🇳🇬

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 01:53 PM
Hi Ian

I live in York so I know the journey well. I'll try to help you.

It's a good 30 minute walk. I'd catch a bus.

What time does your train arrive? What kind of grub are you looking for? I'd suggest going for a pint in the Guildford Arms which is just 5 mins from the station. The beer is first class and the menu is more than decent. Check out their website. It's a great pub to visit before heading down to ER.

should I keep my gob shut (yorks accent)? Don't be silly.

How's Joe Newell doing for you lot? Now you've gone and done it! :wink:

We don't have natives but the local folk are marvellous. However, try to avoid anyone wearing maroon, driving a rover or wearing a nice practical cardigan.

HibbyAndy
04-07-2022, 01:56 PM
Did Gareth Evans no come from Rotherham ?

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 01:57 PM

He did, Andy. And Stubbsy went there.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-07-2022, 01:58 PM
If you come out Waverley steps and turn right you can continue right along Waterloo place, past the old Royal High school and the Burns monument. From here you’ll get a great view of the old City, you can continue on and down Abbeyhill and you’re on Easter Road. Several pubs and cafes etc on your way down towards the stadium. Edit - Guildford a great shout I seen mentioned if you’re a bit parched after the train 🍻

Pop into the club store and get a few bits before the match too.

JimBHibees
04-07-2022, 01:59 PM

Yes he did

HibbyAndy
04-07-2022, 02:00 PM

:aok:

Right enough about Stubbs forgot that

Hibernian Verse
04-07-2022, 02:00 PM
If you come out Waverley steps and turn right you can continue right along Waterloo place, past the old Royal High school and the Burns monument. From here you’ll get a great view of the old City, you can continue on and down Abbeyhill and you’re on Easter Road. Several pubs and cafes etc on your way down towards the stadium. Edit - Guildford a great shout I seen mentioned if you’re a bit parched after the train 🍻

Pop into the club store and get a few bits before the match too.

Definitely do this instead of getting a bus. The short 30 minute walk isn't a trek as described above.

Bridge hibs
04-07-2022, 02:03 PM
Definitely do this instead of getting a bus. The short 30 minute walk isn't a trek as described above.If thats my post you are referring to then it is a bloody trek, especially if you are a short arse like me

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 02:03 PM
Definitely do this instead of getting a bus. The short 30 minute walk isn't a trek as described above.

If he's a reasonably fit 60 y.o.

IvanSproule
04-07-2022, 02:04 PM
Definitely walk it if you can mate, the walk from Waverley, along Regent Road and then down Easter Road must be one of the most beautiful walks to a ground in British football I'd say.
Great views of the Old Town and Arthur's Seat.
Stop in the Artisan for a good pint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MrSmith
04-07-2022, 02:05 PM
Welcome to Edinburgh and Leith, we are a most inclusive folks and take everyone as they are :D enjoy your experience :flag:

St Pauli Hibee
04-07-2022, 02:07 PM
Hi Ian,

Stadium is around a 20 minute walk from Waverley Station, however there are buses that take you to London Road (Top of Easter Road) these include a no 1, 4, 5, 34 (Get off at Wellington Street as I believe the bus now doesn't stop at top of Easter Road for some reason)

I generally eat before I come to the ground however I have heard The Mash Tun does decent food (On Easter Road), Probably best to get onto google & pick something that takes your fancy

No need to hide your accent, I've bumped into people from Germany, Sweden, Denmark, England & Ireland at Hibs games previously.

Joe Newell is playing decent enough, can be frustrating at times as I certainly believe he could contribute a bit more going forwards but too often picks a sideways pass from that holding midfield position. Hopefully under Lee Johnson that will change.

Natives are friendly, In terms of the football for this game I wouldn't expect a crowd of more than 6,000 just due to it not being covered by a season ticket & people are away on holidays etc. In terms of the city most people are friendly & will help you out where they can, there are loads of tourists in Edinburgh so chances are you will be chatting away to someone in a bar in no time.

HH81
04-07-2022, 02:07 PM

I have a Yorkshire accent and no one cares.

Enjoy the trip up. Loads of information on the thread. I usually walk from the station but have caught the bus on a couple of occasions if pushed for time.

Wilson
04-07-2022, 02:10 PM
Yorks accent. Don't keep your gob shut.

Joe Newell?! Shut yer gob!

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-07-2022, 02:11 PM
Have we stopped lynching Sassenach’s? I don’t think I got the email!

Lago
04-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Well I'm into my 70s and it's an 20 min stroll for me, must be a lot of unfit hibbie around 🙄

MagicSwirlingShip
04-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Definitely walk it if you can mate, the walk from Waverley, along Regent Road and then down Easter Road must be one of the most beautiful walks to a ground in British football I'd say.

Yep. Either that or walk it in reverse on the way back into town after the match. Still love it and I’ve been in Edinburgh 30+ years

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2022, 02:25 PM

Good shout :agree:

If you like a beer, do this on the way back and on the way down, go via a selection of Guildford Arms/Café Royal/Barony Bar/Cask and Barrel/Windsor Buffet/Robbie's. Doing them all would be a world class pub crawl. :greengrin

LaMotta
04-07-2022, 02:28 PM
If thats my post you are referring to then it is a bloody trek, especially if you are a short arse like me

I agree its a fair trek, but (with all tram works and congestion etc) there's prob not much in it timewise I would wager between walking and bus....

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 02:33 PM
Well I'm into my 70s and it's an 20 min stroll for me, must be a lot of unfit hibbie around 🙄

A 20 minute stroll from Waverley to the stadium?

It's one and a half miles.

That's less than 14 minutes a mile.

bingo70
04-07-2022, 02:34 PM
I agree its a fair trek, but (with all tram works and congestion etc) there's prob not much in it timewise I would wager between walking and bus....

I can’t believe anybody would get the bus from Waverley to Easter road.

If the OP isn’t fit enough to do it in one go, just break up the journey by stopping for pints on the way.

I hate buses though so I’m probably not a great person to ask.

LaMotta
04-07-2022, 02:34 PM

Google maps says it a 29 min walk!

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 02:36 PM

I'm not saying he shouldn't walk, I often do when I'm up for games, but I've no idea if the chap can manage that or not.

KWJ
04-07-2022, 02:37 PM

If you like a beer, do this on the way back and on the way down, go via a selection of Guildford Arms/Café Royal/Barony Bar/Cask and Barrel/Windsor Buffet/Robbie's. Doing them all would be a world class pub crawl. :greengrin

Yeah, if you haven't been before I'd definitely do the walk if you can. This is from pretty much the train station, follow it straight (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9536053,-3.1878061,3a,75y,84.49h,84.59t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sokSIGMwVLkA8Nh3jip0imw!2e0!6sh ttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DokSI GMwVLkA8Nh3jip0imw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.g ps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D186.58594%26pitch%3 D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192) and this is the lovely walk on way. If you like your cask ale you've got the regent bar as a great reward before it's downhill to the ground.

LaMotta
04-07-2022, 02:37 PM

If the OP isn’t fit enough to do it in one go, just break up the journey by stopping for pints on the way.

I'm not a fan of buses either so in full agreement :greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 02:39 PM
Google maps says it a 29 min walk!

Mine says 32.

I started at the platform though! :greengrin

LaMotta
04-07-2022, 02:40 PM
I'm not saying he shouldn't walk, I often do when I'm up for games, but I've no idea if the chap can manage that or not.

I'm not saying you said he shouldn't walk, nor am I saying he should or shouldn't walk :greengrin Just wanted to flag up that timewise it may be fairly similar to help his decision making.

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 02:40 PM
I'm not saying you said he shouldn't walk, nor am I saying he should or shouldn't walk :greengrin Just wanted to flag up that timewise it may be fairly similar to help his decision making.

Exactly!

worcesterhibby
04-07-2022, 02:41 PM

He's from Yorkshire, I'm reliably informed they all think they are superhuman :greengrin

LaMotta
04-07-2022, 02:44 PM
Mine says 32.

I started at the platform though! :greengrin

Exactly!

:greengrin

Re food - Vittoria's on Leith Walk a good place to eat before or after a match. Would increase the walking time though....

Since452
04-07-2022, 02:45 PM
Well I'm into my 70s and it's an 20 min stroll for me, must be a lot of unfit hibbie around ��

I agree. Wouldn't say it was a fair trek. Not if you're used to walking a lot. 20/25 mins.

Stubbsy90+2
04-07-2022, 02:47 PM

:agree:

It wouldn’t even cross my mind to get a bus from Waverley but then I’ve averaged 14k or so steps a day for about the last 5 years.

If you’re physically able to walk a half hour or so at a leisurely pace downhill then definitely walk it. Lots of pubs on the way to break up the walk as well.

bingo70
04-07-2022, 02:51 PM
:agree:

It wouldn’t even cross my mind to get a bus from Waverley but then I’ve averaged 14k or so steps a day for about the last 5 years.

If you’re physically able to walk a half hour or so at a leisurely pace downhill then definitely walk it. Lots of pubs on the way to break up the walk as well.

See, I’m different, I’m fat and lazy, still wouldn’t get the bus from Waverley to Easter road though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-07-2022, 02:52 PM

Use this website for a wide choice of buses that pass the vicinity of Waverley Station and take you down Easter Road.

www.lothianbuses.com

BILLYHIBS
04-07-2022, 03:04 PM
What about a ticket to get in ( £12 - £6 concessions ) ?

Probably best to do it online and get it scanned to your phone for our scanners ( If they are working ? 😀)

The Ticket Office can be a bit of a last minute rush even at Cat C games on match days

Hope you are on the Hibs database? 😀

Jim44
04-07-2022, 03:11 PM
I personally like Newell but he has his critics in our support. As it happens, I think he played well in our recent friendlies, and I think and hope he is going to thrive under Lee Johnson. Enjoy your visit to ER.:hibees

overdrive
04-07-2022, 03:13 PM
On the bus debate, I'd definitely avoid getting the bus after the game if you're heading back to Waverley unless you have mobility issues. It might be different since there won't be a normal size of crowd but it normally takes way longer by bus to Waverley after a match than it is to walk due to match congestion, tram work congestion, matinees coming out of the Playhouse, etc.

If walking to/from the station, I'd avoid the Waverley Steps > Leith Street > London Rd route (unless you want to go to pubs around the Playhouse) and either go the scenic Waterloo Place route for the view, or the way I go which is to use the often forgotten about Calton Rd exit from Waverley, turn right out of the drop-off area, go down Calton Rd, left up Abbeyhill and down Easter Road - I find it quicker as it is less busy all round.

Mon Dieu4
04-07-2022, 03:42 PM
Walk it if you can, buses in and around Leith and Easter Road currently work on a timetable and route that Stephen Hawking couldn't work out

Sometimes it will take 5 minutes and others 5 years

superfurryhibby
04-07-2022, 03:57 PM
Walk downhill all the way. It's a nice stroll (you'll struggle to get a direct bus from Waverley anyway, they'll all involve a walk to some extent. .
Eat at Vittoria's on Leith Walk or head into Joseph Pierce's bar and have some scran and a quality beer.
No one cares about your accent.
Joe Newell- divides opinion. Has some decent footballing ability, but couldnae score in a swingers club.

Enjoy and welcome to Easter Road when you get there.

Bushwoof
04-07-2022, 04:05 PM

And don't forget to nip in to the Strathie on Iona Street, best wee pub in Edinburgh.

Loads of great places to eat on Leith Walk, of every description.

Bad Habits
04-07-2022, 04:08 PM

I'm a Yorkshireman with roots in Leith, the only bother I've ever had is from my dad. Who told me I could have at least tried to put an accent on when shouting the score out to a passing car.

I've had friends from Australia, California and the deepest darkest depths of England up and they've never been met with anything other than open arms. My friends who support Manchester United and Liverpool couldn't believe how accommodating the Hibs fans were!

Twiglet
04-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Mash Tun is nice for food. Been a while since I've been in but last time I was there I enjoyed it. May be busy on match day (see if you can reserve if you decide to go there).
Have a great day on Saturday.

BradtheMiller
04-07-2022, 04:21 PM
I'm a Yorkshireman with roots in Leith, the only bother I've ever had is from my dad. Who told me I could have at least tried to put an accent on when shouting the score out to a passing car.

I've had friends from Australia, California and the deepest darkest depths of England up and they've never been met with anything other than open arms. My friends who support Manchester United and Liverpool couldn't believe how accommodating the Hibs fans were!

Thanks for all the info & friendly warm welcome. I'm arriving fairly early so I'll probably take a leisurely stroll. You hibees are a friendly bunch, can't wait now, I'm a bit of an anorak so I'll be taking loads of pics of the city & Easter Road, see you Saturday!!!

bingo70
04-07-2022, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the info & friendly warm welcome. I'm arriving fairly early so I'll probably take a leisurely stroll. You hibees are a friendly bunch, can't wait now, I'm a bit of an anorak so I'll be taking loads of pics of the city & Easter Road, see you Saturday!!!

Off topic a bit maybe but I love the sound of going ground hopping round loads of the smaller stadiums. Think when my boy is a bit older I can see me being a bit of an anorak in that sense too.

Love seeing football stadiums, big or small, empty or full. I’d love to get to every stadium in Scotland.

Since90+2
04-07-2022, 05:14 PM

What is your favourite wee and big stadium you've visited?

BradtheMiller
04-07-2022, 05:36 PM
What is your favourite wee and big stadium you've visited?
I can only answer on English stadia unfortunately;
my favourite wee stadium is the Northolme, home of Northern Premier League Gainsborough Trinity, a beautiful little ground.
My favourite large stadium in England is Villa Park, a mixture of the ultra modern & old traditional, a great stadium.

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-07-2022, 05:53 PM
Not that far a walk, plenty busses if you canny be arsed though.

Don’t worry about the accent, there’s plenty hibs fans come up from England and over from Ireland.

Get a half pizza supper from Giovanni’s, salt and sauce obviously, for the authentic Scottish experience. Unrivalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BT58
04-07-2022, 06:00 PM
Ian, easiest thing to do is get an uber from Waverley to Easter road ( the street) then frequent a few bars in the area. Theres a restaurant near the bottom called the Persevere. Have a scran, then walk back up Easter road to Albion Road, turn left, then follow the guys wearing green and white scarves. Best of luck to ya.
B

badabing67
04-07-2022, 06:12 PM

Did Scottie Allan not go there as well

Tambo
04-07-2022, 06:13 PM
If it's your first visit to the city then I would recommend the walk, will get some great views. If you have the legs then Carlton hill will get you even better views.

Plenty pubs and food available on Easter road and would recommend baines if it's open.

Enjoy the trip.

Jay
04-07-2022, 06:16 PM
I walk down from opposite the train station most games. Its a lovely walk, 20 to 25 mins and you'll pass loads of places to eat on the way or veer off onto leith walk for more food choices.

The accent won't be a problem, enjoy your day hopefully you'll see a decent game and enjoy our City :flag:

HibbyAndy
04-07-2022, 06:19 PM
Did Scottie Allan not go there as well

Aye a hink so :agree:

MrSmith
04-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Don't forget the Shore onto Newhaven for good food.

Lancs Harp
04-07-2022, 07:33 PM
Dont listen to them mate, they made me wear a kilt, go on a haggis hunt, eat 5 deep fried mars bars and then wash it down 2 litres of buckfast before they would accept me :)

Hibs fans are the salt of the earth.

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 08:19 PM
Dont listen to them mate, they made me wear a kilt, go on a haggis hunt, eat 5 deep fried mars bars and then wash it down 2 litres of buckfast before they would accept me :)

Accept you?

When did that happen?

LongJohnBanger
04-07-2022, 08:20 PM

I must have made the walk down from the Waverley hundreds of times and it's never occured to me to go up the Waverley steps and up past the old Royal High School as you've described.

If I'm not meeting anyone on Leith Walk, that's my new route to the game. Great suggestion.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-07-2022, 08:27 PM
As an aside, at what point does it stop becoming Waterloo place and start being Regent Rd?

Lancs Harp
04-07-2022, 08:30 PM
Accept you?

When did that happen?

Probably when i got the round in :)

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 08:37 PM
Probably when i got the round in :)

Ah, you didn't mention that!

LaMotta
04-07-2022, 08:42 PM
As an aside, at what point does it stop becoming Waterloo place and start being Regent Rd?

Howies restaurant is the end of Waterloo Place on the left - it then veers up to the right behind the Scottish Government Building, whose entrance is on Regent Road.

Lago
04-07-2022, 08:44 PM

It's an easy downhill stroll 😊

IvanSproule
04-07-2022, 08:50 PM
I must have made the walk down from the Waverley hundreds of times and it's never occured to me to go up the Waverley steps and up past the old Royal High School as you've described.

If I'm not meeting anyone on Leith Walk, that's my new route to the game. Great suggestion.Been walking that way for years mate and it never gets old. Except when its pishin down!
Always pretty quiet too.

I do tend to avoid it when Rangers are in town as I think they park their buses there....

.Sean.
04-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Not that far a walk, plenty busses if you canny be arsed though.

Don’t worry about the accent, there’s plenty hibs fans come up from England and over from Ireland.

Get a half pizza supper from Giovanni’s, salt and sauce obviously, for the authentic Scottish experience. Unrivalled.

Agreed, Giovannis has been a staple of my day out at Easter Road for near 20 years. Just a shame it’s not washed down with pints at the nip anymore

SChibs
04-07-2022, 09:28 PM

If you come out the back way from Waverley beside the Black Bull you can make it to Easter Road in 20 mins. Not as good as the walk others have mentioned though

Hibbyradge
04-07-2022, 09:37 PM
If you come out the back way from Waverley beside the Black Bull you can make it to Easter Road in 20 mins. Not as good as the walk others have mentioned though

The Black Bull? That's on the top of Leith Walk, no?

bingo70
04-07-2022, 09:38 PM
The Black Bull? That's on the top of Leith Walk, no?

Where Renton gets knocked down in Trainspotting 😉

Liberal Hibby
04-07-2022, 09:57 PM
On the bus debate, I'd definitely avoid getting the bus after the game if you're heading back to Waverley unless you have mobility issues. It might be different since there won't be a normal size of crowd but it normally takes way longer by bus to Waverley after a match than it is to walk due to match congestion, tram work congestion, matinees coming out of the Playhouse, etc.

If walking to/from the station, I'd avoid the Waverley Steps > Leith Street > London Rd route (unless you want to go to pubs around the Playhouse) and either go the scenic Waterloo Place route for the view, or the way I go which is to use the often forgotten about Calton Rd exit from Waverley, turn right out of the drop-off area, go down Calton Rd, left up Abbeyhill and down Easter Road - I find it quicker as it is less busy all round.

Or go out the Calton Road exit (east end of the station) and under the Waterloo Arch (made famous by Renton being run over in the chase in Trainspotting - impossible in real life :wink:) and you're basically already at the junction of Leith Walk and London Road. It really is an easy walk - the last time I went to ER my train arrived at Waverley at 2.20 and I was in the ground with at least 15 minutes to spare.

Liberal Hibby
04-07-2022, 10:05 PM

If any one knew it would alter the space time continuum.

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-07-2022, 11:00 PM

5 deep fried mars bars and 2 litres of buckfast? You lucky *******

05-07-2022, 01:06 AM

If you've got plenty of time then you'll get some good photos of the city and our stadium from Calton Hill, which is on MagicSwirlingShip's route. The buildings in the photo at the link below are on Regent Road and as you can see, it isn't much of a trek up the hill (5 minutes to the top according to the Edinburgh guide). It is part of the world heritage site https://ewh.org.uk/world-heritage-sites/calton-hill/

Photos from Calton Hill:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photos+from+calton+hill&prmd=imnv&sxsrf=ALiCzsZMV_q18F5x5_z6YB2BFTqwaYE77A:165698301 7349&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6hpfhxuD4AhVVSkEAHRlvD0IQ_AUoAXoECAIQA Q&biw=412&bih=725&dpr=2.63

Hope you enjoy the game.

Forza Fred
05-07-2022, 05:39 AM
Get a taxi to the Hibs Club and mix with the punters over a few pre match beers.

KdyHby
05-07-2022, 05:43 AM

The route I generally take. Sometimes I turn right out of the station and go via the Palace and over Abbeyhill.

Greenbeard
05-07-2022, 09:06 AM
Definitely worth allowing whatever time you need for a pleasant and mostly downhill stroll Waterloo Place/Regent Road/Easter Road - if the weather is kind. Maybe even a wee detour up Calton Hill for the picture postcard 360 views of Edinburgh. It's a steep but short path up for much reward.
Mind and allow double the time for coming back uphill to Waverley though!

Greenbeard
05-07-2022, 09:12 AM

Quicker for sure but not very scenic!

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2022, 12:11 PM
Definitely worth allowing whatever time you need for a pleasant and mostly downhill stroll Waterloo Place/Regent Road/Easter Road - if the weather is kind. Maybe even a wee detour up Calton Hill for the picture postcard 360 views of Edinburgh. It's a steep but short path up for much reward.
Mind and allow double the time for coming back uphill to Waverley though!

Not to mention there a pretty decent view of Easter Road stadium from Calton Hill :greengrin

green with envy
05-07-2022, 01:55 PM

As you have a bit of time. I would suggest walking down towards the Playhouse Theatre (a 5 minute walk from station) There you will find plenty restaurants and bars. After your pre match refreshments, I would walk along London Road to the top of Easter Road, (the street) that should take around 10 mins, then head down Easter Road to the stadium another 10 minute stroll. If early you'll pass a couple of pubs on Easter Road itself en route to the stadium. If anything at least the weather is to be decent, even if the game's not. ��

LancashireHibby
05-07-2022, 02:51 PM
Amazed it took so long for someone to suggest the Calton Road exit from Waverley! My personal best is 16 minutes from ER to Waverley after the Molde game the other year to catch the last train south but fair to say I was walking pretty quickly. Only done the Regent Road route in a taxi (and a morning jog before the St Johnstone game at the end of last season!) but preferred the London Road route (albeit I do tend to go down Leith Walk instead for a pint or two)

l'omdra
05-07-2022, 09:35 PM

Dear Ian,
I agree with most of the replies and depending on weather
determines way to ground and also what you wish to eat. Strangely my wife and l are going to watch Ladies Euros next week with matches in Sheffield and Rotherham. We are staying in Rotherham but need a reciprocal arrangement,any recommendations for restaurants or places to visit,also any local golf courses.
Can you assist. Bill McMahon

BradtheMiller
06-07-2022, 01:08 AM
​
Dear Ian,
I agree with most of the replies and depending on weather
determines way to ground and also what you wish to eat. Strangely my wife and l are going to watch Ladies Euros next week with matches in Sheffield and Rotherham. We are staying in Rotherham but need a reciprocal arrangement,any recommendations for restaurants or places to visit,also any local golf courses.
Can you assist. Bill McMahon

Yorkshire’s finest historic parkland Golf Club in Rotherham | Rotherham Golf Club (https://www.rotherhamgolfclub.com/) told it's pretty good

THE 10 BEST Restaurants & Places to Eat in Wickersley 2022 - Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g3600172-Wickersley_Rotherham_South_Yorkshire_England.html)

I personally recommend 450 above, superb place but Wickersley, about 4 miles out of Rotherham town centre is the best in the area for restaurants.

Pagan Hibernia
06-07-2022, 07:29 AM
The Hibs support revealing its poor fitness levels in this thread lol

Wilson
06-07-2022, 08:57 AM
The Hibs support revealing its poor fitness levels in this thread lol

These colours don't run, right enough. Or jog. Or even walk at a brisk pace...

Sauerkraut
06-07-2022, 04:58 PM
Nice to hear from you pal, but do yourself a favour by taking the Waterloo Place, Regent Road, (then left down Easter Road) option. You'll be walking along a natural ridge with spectacular views back to the Castle and the late medieval town, Holyrood Palace and (modern) parliament below. Opposite you'll see Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh's designer mountain named after a famous left-winger/wingback who could do sub 11 sec, but usually forgot the ball.
Then Easter Road is grittier, but the shout for the Mash Tun is a good one. It might even be 'free beer for Yorkies' day. Or did I make that up? Whatevs, enjoy.

Lago
06-07-2022, 07:04 PM
These colours don't run, right enough. Or jog. Or even walk at a brisk pace...
😅

BradtheMiller
09-07-2022, 05:53 PM
Edinburgh was everything I expected it to be & so much more.
Enjoyed the match, loved the stadium & you Hibees fans couldn't have been more welcoming if you tried, altogether a fantastic groundhop.
Best City in the UK by a country mile, I'll be back soon, thanks again.

MagicSwirlingShip
09-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Enjoyed the match, loved the stadium & you Hibees fans couldn't have been more welcoming if you tried, altogether a fantastic groundhop.

Great stuff Brad. Link us to any pics !

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-07-2022, 06:07 PM

Always good to hear, which boozers did you venture into?

BradtheMiller
09-07-2022, 06:15 PM
@IBradders on twitter

Lago
09-07-2022, 06:20 PM
:top marks

offshorehibby
09-07-2022, 06:28 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Get yourself back for a big game with atmosphere, especially a game under the floodlights.

Liberal Hibby
09-07-2022, 08:47 PM

Would like if I could so followed you on Twitter instead - glad you had a great day.

One Day
10-07-2022, 08:04 AM

Glad you enjoyed your day out, and, you got to see some goals. Come back anytime

Keith_M
10-07-2022, 12:19 PM

I'm delighted you enjoyed it, mate.

👍

GloryGlory
10-07-2022, 12:49 PM

:thumbsup: Haste ye back!

Glad you enjoyed it.

GloryGlory
10-07-2022, 12:50 PM

https://twitter.com/IBradders/status/1545829591834628101