PDA

View Full Version : Longbangers with Graham Spiers

matty_f
03-07-2022, 11:10 PM
Subscribers get early access to a fantastic episode with journalist Graham Spiers, where we discuss Hibs' season, Ross and Maloney, Ron Gordon, and Lee Johnson's rebuild. Additionally, Graham shares some great Hibs memories.

Subscribers also get Extra Time 13, an exclusive episode looking back at the week in Portugal.

Get it here:
https://Longbangers.hubwave.net

The episode with Graham will be available at all the usual places from 19:00 Monday (will add links then)

DaveF
04-07-2022, 07:27 AM
Being overly nosey I suppose but are you guys now attempting to make money by going down the subscription route? Maybe all the pods do it, I dunno as I don't listen to many, but I just noticed recently you have been pushing the subscription thing.

Since452
04-07-2022, 07:30 AM
Is this on Spotify? I'll give it a listen on the commute if it is.

matty_f
04-07-2022, 07:43 AM
Being overly nosey I suppose but are you guys now attempting to make money by going down the subscription route? Maybe all the pods do it, I dunno as I don't listen to many, but I just noticed recently you have been pushing the subscription thing.

Yeah, we have a subscriber option now, Dave for anyone that wants more than the free episodes that we continue to put out as we always have done (so every week there's still a free Longbangers and Shortbangers at a minimum) including guest interviews, they'll still be free to everyone.

We put out around 3-5 hours of content each week, including the subscription episodes, which works out at about 75p/week if anyone wants all of it!

matty_f
04-07-2022, 07:45 AM
Is this on Spotify? I'll give it a listen on the commute if it is.

It'll be on Spotify at 7pm tonight :aok: I'll stick the link on here.

Obviously I would say this, bit it's well worth the listen - Graham was a great guest, very amusing and his recollection of older games (72 Cup final, 0-7 at Tiny) is very good.

DaveF
04-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Yeah, we have a subscriber option now, Dave for anyone that wants more than the free episodes that we continue to put our as we always have done (so every week there's still a free Longbangers and Shortbangers at a. minimum) including guest interviews, they'll still be free to everyone.

We put out around 3-5 hours of content each week, incising the subscription episodes, which works out at about 75p/week if anyone wants all of it!

Thanks for the reply. If I see you moving to the comfy seats one block over next season, I'll know you have made it big 😁

matty_f
04-07-2022, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. If I see you moving to the comfy seats one block over next season, I'll know you have made it big 😁

Don't think that'll be happening any time soon, to be honest!

matty_f
04-07-2022, 06:14 PM
YouTube:

https://youtu.be/_ZNECrk1MMc

Apple:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560?i=1000568775229

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0eF7PnJWRCUumqLn7c6bLg?si=xPIR9L7ZTKOIpoHzkLT4KQ

Since452
04-07-2022, 07:27 PM

Obviously I would say this, bit it's well worth the listen - Graham was a great guest, very amusing and his recollection of older games (72 Cup final, 0-7 at Tiny) is very good.

Perfect cheers

WhileTheChief..
04-07-2022, 07:33 PM
Great guest.

Enjoyed listening to him and agree with his thoughts on last season.

matty_f
04-07-2022, 08:30 PM
Great guest.

Enjoyed listening to him and agree with his thoughts on last season.

Thanks, we thought he was really interesting, very engaging and has a clear soft spot for Hibs - we could have listened to him a lot longer!

tonyrougier123
04-07-2022, 08:36 PM
Really good episode guys.
Always enjoyed spiers exaggerated interpretations of Scottish football.
One of the best bits was his “corporation bus drivers in Edinburgh are more in the know than sports journalists”😂

Good insight of maloney era also.

WhileTheChief..
04-07-2022, 08:57 PM
Thanks, we thought he was really interesting, very engaging and has a clear soft spot for Hibs - we could have listened to him a lot longer!

I always enjoyed reading his stuff, despite his Rangers leanings.

He’s an educated guy, worth listening to and isn’t a clickbait journo that we see so many of these days.

Try and get him back this time next year for his take on LJs first season.

matty_f
04-07-2022, 09:20 PM
Really good episode guys.
Always enjoyed spiers exaggerated interpretations of Scottish football.
One of the best bits was his “corporation bus drivers in Edinburgh are more in the know than sports journalists”😂

Good insight of maloney era also.

Cheers - I thought his analysis of the Maloney era was spot on

matty_f
04-07-2022, 09:20 PM

He’s an educated guy, worth listening to and isn’t a clickbait journo that we see so many of these days.

That’s a good shout, I’m sure he’d be happy to do that as well.

Bridge hibs
04-07-2022, 09:48 PM
That’s a good shout, I’m sure he’d be happy to do that as well.Might be a controversial request given his leanings, any chance of getting Ally McCoist on one day, I think he is quite funny 😵

DaveF
04-07-2022, 09:52 PM
Good listen and your chat show host skills in terms of linking to the guests paid offerings are coming on a treat Matty 😁

matty_f
04-07-2022, 09:55 PM
Might be a controversial request given his leanings, any chance of getting Ally McCoist on one day, I think he is quite funny 😵

We could definitely try! Might get us cancelled, right enough!!

scm70nyd1973
04-07-2022, 10:17 PM

I went to school with him, stayed very close to him and played golf most summers and I’ll tell you this - he is a very decent guy who was not a huge Rangers fan.

I will never say anything against him and I - for one - will never say a bad word against him.

He has always talked good sense and the Huns don’t like him for what he has had to say about them.

Keep up the good work Speirsy - as I knew him 👍

PS - he was marginally a better golfer than me but we were both pants 😂

matty_f
04-07-2022, 10:25 PM
I went to school with him, stayed very close to him and played golf most summers and I’ll tell you this - he is a very decent guy who was not a huge Rangers fan.

I will never say anything against him and I - for one - will never say a bad word against him.

He has always talked good sense and the Huns don’t like him for what he has had to say about them.

Keep up the good work Speirsy - as I knew him 👍

PS - he was marginally a better golfer than me but we were both pants 😂

He had a cracking recollection of the game your username refers to!

JoeT
04-07-2022, 10:36 PM
Yeah, we have a subscriber option now, Dave for anyone that wants more than the free episodes that we continue to put out as we always have done (so every week there's still a free Longbangers and Shortbangers at a minimum) including guest interviews, they'll still be free to everyone.

We put out around 3-5 hours of content each week, including the subscription episodes, which works out at about 75p/week if anyone wants all of it!

Are some of the subs going into hibs.Net? Hope it is going well

matty_f
04-07-2022, 10:49 PM
Are some of the subs going into hibs.Net? Hope it is going well

No, only my PM membership! hibs.net has its own excellent podcast!

Bridge hibs
05-07-2022, 05:19 AM
We could definitely try! Might get us cancelled, right enough!!True, I think he would have some brilliant stories, probably a good few hibs ones too 🤣

Gloucester Hibs
05-07-2022, 05:38 AM
Don’t mind Spiers. Don’t the Huns hate him now? Sure he was previously part of the ‘succulent lamb’ brand of journalism but seen the light.

Since452
05-07-2022, 06:53 AM
Very good listen. Enjoyed that. Thought he was bang on about Maloney.

JimBHibees
05-07-2022, 07:14 AM
Don’t mind Spiers. Don’t the Huns hate him now? Sure he was previously part of the ‘succulent lamb’ brand of journalism but seen the light.

Don't think he was part of the succulent lamb brigade. Called out their bigotry on a number of occasions

matty_f
05-07-2022, 07:22 AM

Succulent lamb was specifically discussed on the episode, it was good to hear the background for it.

matty_f
05-07-2022, 07:22 AM
Very good listen. Enjoyed that. Thought he was bang on about Maloney.

Thanks, thought that as well. :agree:

flash
05-07-2022, 07:44 AM
That was a great listen guys.

Spiers has always been my favourite Scottish football journo due to his honesty regarding sectarianism and bigotry.

BILLYHIBS
05-07-2022, 07:48 AM
Shaun Maloney

:top marks

:greengrin

patlowe
05-07-2022, 07:54 AM
Good listen guys - I guess it's not something that you would want to do all the time but at transition points like this that view from the outside journo perspective works really well :aok:

matty_f
05-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Good listen guys - I guess it's not something that you would want to do all the time but at transition points like this that view from the outside journo perspective works really well :aok:

The guests have been a nice way for us to fill the pre-season where there's generally nothing to talk about, and we thought that outside view on things would be interesting -glad you enjoyed it, thanks for saying.

bigwheel
05-07-2022, 08:11 AM
Quality listen that. Thought Speirs was very generous in committing fully to the discussion and thought you guys asked great set up questions too. Nice one [emoji3516]

JimBHibees
05-07-2022, 08:45 AM
That was a great listen guys.

Spiers has always been my favourite Scottish football journo due to his honesty regarding sectarianism and bigotry.

Same for me. Always liked his Scotland on Sunday articles usually about Ayrshire junior football :greengrin

Brightside
05-07-2022, 10:02 AM
Probably the best one yet. Great listen.

matty_f
05-07-2022, 10:08 AM
Probably the best one yet. Great listen.

:aok: cheers!

Oscar T Grouch
05-07-2022, 10:09 AM
Finished it on the bus to work this morning. Another excellent pod by the Longbangers guys, well done :thumbsup:

Hibernian Verse
05-07-2022, 10:16 AM
Thoroughly enjoying the short bursts of listening I get in the car. Hopefully finish it tomorrow.

I also enjoyed the shortbangers you did with the St Mirren fan/author.

Smartie
05-07-2022, 10:21 AM
Just finished it now myself, a really good listen.

I always think that the true way to understand the general consensus is to get a feel for what the silent majority are thinking and it can actually be very difficult to do.

When it comes to Jack Ross - we were, and still are, very split. When it comes to Maloney - we were, and still are, very split. Empty vessels always make the most noise, which can be a problem in the social media age so you're more likely to hear from the critical factions - those who are against the manager prior them being sacked then those who are critical of the decision to sack after the decision has been made. The quiet and thoughtful, those who listen more and talk less are always less likely to share their opinion though.

Being "split" isn't as newsworthy as there being a section of the support who are hounding Ross or Maloney but essentially they can be 2 ways of saying the same thing.

The person who can vindicate the decisions made on Ross or Maloney is Lee Johnson. If he does a great job then both of those decisions can look correct very quickly. If he doesn't, then we'll probably still find ourselves bickering over them (as well as any decision in relation to him) for some time yet.

I tend to be a bit cynical about the idea of West Coast journalists and their perception or even interest in anything Hibs but I thought Spiers came across as well informed and his views were interesting. I also got the feeling he himself was genuinely interested in Hibs and Scottish football, unlike how some people who are paid to cover Scottish football come across at times (Davie Provan being the worst).

I've always respected the way he's constructively critical of Rangers and appears to have no time for the ugly underbelly that the club has. Funnily enough, a good few of the Rangers fans I've know over the years who are from the West are similar, although it's the ugly underbelly that appears to be what attracts fans from elsewhere in Scotland and beyond.

matty_f
05-07-2022, 11:43 AM
Finished it on the bus to work this morning. Another excellent pod by the Longbangers guys, well done :thumbsup:

Thank you! :aok:

matty_f
05-07-2022, 11:43 AM
Thoroughly enjoying the short bursts of listening I get in the car. Hopefully finish it tomorrow.

I also enjoyed the shortbangers you did with the St Mirren fan/author.

Chris Brookmyre :agree: I was delighted to get him on, huge fan of his books and he was a really nice guy as well!

matty_f
05-07-2022, 11:44 AM
Just finished it now myself, a really good listen.

I always think that the true way to understand the general consensus is to get a feel for what the silent majority are thinking and it can actually be very difficult to do.

When it comes to Jack Ross - we were, and still are, very split. When it comes to Maloney - we were, and still are, very split. Empty vessels always make the most noise, which can be a problem in the social media age so you're more likely to hear from the critical factions - those who are against the manager prior them being sacked then those who are critical of the decision to sack after the decision has been made. The quiet and thoughtful, those who listen more and talk less are always less likely to share their opinion though.

Being "split" isn't as newsworthy as there being a section of the support who are hounding Ross or Maloney but essentially they can be 2 ways of saying the same thing.

The person who can vindicate the decisions made on Ross or Maloney is Lee Johnson. If he does a great job then both of those decisions can look correct very quickly. If he doesn't, then we'll probably still find ourselves bickering over them (as well as any decision in relation to him) for some time yet.

I tend to be a bit cynical about the idea of West Coast journalists and their perception or even interest in anything Hibs but I thought Spiers came across as well informed and his views were interesting. I also got the feeling he himself was genuinely interested in Hibs and Scottish football, unlike how some people who are paid to cover Scottish football come across at times (Davie Provan being the worst).

I've always respected the way he's constructively critical of Rangers and appears to have no time for the ugly underbelly that the club has. Funnily enough, a good few of the Rangers fans I've know over the years who are from the West are similar, although it's the ugly underbelly that appears to be what attracts fans from elsewhere in Scotland and beyond.

I agree with that. :agree:

Since452
05-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Thought he was dead right when asked about Lee Johnson. The evidence suggests he'll do well. Sure he will. Also i had a wee chuckle at the big fancy words being trotted out in Spiers presence :tee hee:

Smartie
05-07-2022, 11:57 AM
Thought he was dead right when asked about Lee Johnson. The evidence suggests he'll do well. Sure he will. Also i had a wee chuckle at the big fancy words being trotted out in Spiers presence :tee hee:

I had more of a chuckle when "knob rot" was mentioned in his presence.

Danderhall Hibs
05-07-2022, 12:23 PM
I had more of a chuckle when "knob rot" was mentioned in his presence.

:hilarious- I thought he was going to reconsider his attendance when that was blurted out.

JimBHibees
05-07-2022, 12:26 PM
Excellent episode Spiers was a great listen. :aok:

matty_f
05-07-2022, 12:28 PM
Excellent episode Spiers was a great listen. :aok:

Thanks!

degenerated
05-07-2022, 12:44 PM
Excellent stuff, thoroughly enjoyable listen. Always liked Spiers from back when he did the sports diary bit in Scotland on Sunday. He

1875er
05-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Great listen, Spiers came across very very well..... particularly like the fact he frequently used the presenters names, nice personal touch.

Bad Habits
05-07-2022, 01:09 PM
Great episode guys! keep up the good work :)

leith lynx
05-07-2022, 01:20 PM
One of the best podcasts I've heard, thank you. May I suggest Craig or Charlie from the Proclaimers as a possible guest? (have a new album coming soon, which they might want to promote!) keep up the good work!

matty_f
05-07-2022, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words, folks - very much appreciated

MagicSwirlingShip
05-07-2022, 05:06 PM
Listened last night. Really enjoyed it.

For my recommendation for a guest, I’ll go Antonio Murray. Think he actually had a podcast of his own aswell. Was a decent player for Hibs, put in a great performance at Tynecastle in the 1-2 game under the lights.

Then just continue down the line up of Mowbrays side 😂

scm70nyd1973
05-07-2022, 05:15 PM
He had a cracking recollection of the game your username refers to!

Probably because I told him all about it after I had been at the game with my dad and my uncle. He probably also could well have a good recollection of the 4-1 drubbing in the sunshine a few months after the said game which I had the misfortune to attend with my dad and uncle☹️

worcesterhibby
05-07-2022, 05:48 PM
I've been meaning to get into Podcasts for a while, but have struggled to find the time. I finally knuckled down and made the effort to listen to Longbangers with Mr Speirs and it really was excellent..you guys have a new listener and I've tweeted Graham to tell him he's not nearly as much of an arse as I thought he was :greengrin Great stuff keep it up :aok:

e2los
05-07-2022, 07:35 PM
Listened on part of my way to a job this morning, podcast was over before I realised it and so had a big chunk of the tedious drive.

@matty_f

Off topic: on the podcasts it's repeatedly mentioned about subscribing for extra time etc.
I don't know what subscribing (paid) via Hubwave entails re ease of use.

Can it work with spotify which is my method of listening to your podcasts?
I don't see an android app for Hubwave.

Since it seems topical how about asking Leigh Griffiths to do a Heidbangers episode?

matty_f
05-07-2022, 07:40 PM
Listened on part of my way to a job this morning, podcast was over before I realised it and so had a big chunk of the tedious drive.

@matty_f

Off topic: on the podcasts it's repeatedly mentioned about subscribing for extra time etc.
I don't know what subscribing (paid) via Hubwave entails re ease of use.

Can it work with spotify which is my method of listening to your podcasts?
I don't see an android app for Hubwave.

Since it seems topical how about asking Leigh Griffiths to do a Heidbangers episode?

The subscription episodes don't work with Spotify (they don't allow custom RSS feeds, apparently). However I'm told it works with the Google Podcasts app, plus apps like Podbean etc (pretty much any podcast player other than Spotify!)...

If you decide to try it, give me a shout and I'll help with it.

We'll see if we can get in touch with Leigh. :aok:

WeeRussell
05-07-2022, 09:51 PM

He must be a fair bit older than what I thought!

matty_f
05-07-2022, 09:54 PM
He must be a fair bit older than what I thought!

Fair to say he was older than I thought as well!

et_hibby
05-07-2022, 09:55 PM
Well done on getting GS on, guys. Look forward to hearing this.

JoeT
05-07-2022, 10:02 PM
No, only my PM membership! hibs.net has its own excellent podcast!

Maybe should contribute more if you are advertising to a free and captive audience

e2los
05-07-2022, 10:16 PM
Fair to say he was older than I thought as well!

He looks somewhere between 10 and 80 imho from the pictures of him online.

Must be in his 70's anyway.

WeeRussell
05-07-2022, 10:20 PM
Maybe should contribute more if you are advertising to a free and captive audience

Maybe we appreciate being notified when the FREE episodes are available for us to listen to. One line mentioning what is also available to subscribers is hardly hard-advertising and no rules are being broken.

It’s great hibs-related content. Strange that you’ve drawn the conclusion that Matty should be paying more to hibs.net than anyone else on here.

matty_f
05-07-2022, 10:36 PM

:aok: maybe I will, these threads also bring in ad revenue for the site though, so it's not all one way traffic!

JoeT
05-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Maybe we appreciate being notified when the FREE episodes are available for us to listen to. One line mentioning what is also available to subscribers is hardly hard-advertising and no rules are being broken.

It’s great hibs-related content. Strange that you’ve drawn the conclusion that Matty should be paying more to hibs.net than anyone else on here.
Strange you think it strange. I'm a fan of Longbangers as well as all the hibs podcasts but since they are touting for subscriptions then making a new thread on here each weeek advertising their enterprise i feel it is flouting a captive market that no other business would be allowed to do.

JoeT
05-07-2022, 10:53 PM
:aok: maybe I will, these threads also bring in ad revenue for the site though, so it's not all one way traffic!
👍

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2022, 06:24 AM
Strange you think it strange. I'm a fan of Longbangers as well as all the hibs podcasts but since they are touting for subscriptions then making a new thread on here each weeek advertising their enterprise i feel it is flouting a captive market that no other business would be allowed to do.

The interview is free to all and has Hibs content. Not sure why it wouldn’t be posted on here?

Brightside
06-07-2022, 07:02 AM

All the pods mention when they have a new release. Up to people on here if they want to interact with the message. I’d rather have that than another pointless thread about Leigh Griffiths.

WeeRussell
06-07-2022, 08:45 AM
All the pods mention when they have a new release. Up to people on here if they want to interact with the message. I’d rather have that than another pointless thread about Leigh Griffiths.

Yep. And speaking of pointless threads - Matty also gave a lot of his free time helping to maintain and clear-up crappy threads and unfortunate posts, having served as an admin for years.

I’m sure all the hibs.net team feel he’s contributed more than enough.

DaveF
06-07-2022, 09:15 AM
Good luck to the guys with the subscription part of it. Not my thing as I'm now more a part time listener but they put in a lot of effort - I think Matty said they produce about 5hrs content a week - so if they can gain a little reward for their toil then why not.

JimBHibees
06-07-2022, 09:19 AM
Good luck to the guys with the subscription part of it. Not my thing as I'm now more a part time listener but they put in a lot of effort - I think Matty said they produce about 5hrs content a week - so if they can gain a little reward for their toil then why not.

Agree with that will likely only utilise the free stuff but no issue with subscription content at all

matty_f
06-07-2022, 09:28 AM

Thanks Dave.

bingo70
06-07-2022, 10:02 AM

Totally agree, I’m in the same boat, I used to listen to more podcasts when I drove more with work but not doing that as much just now so free content is more than enough for me.

I’d also add it’s nobody’s ****ing business why they want to charge for certain content, if someone doesn’t want to buy it then don’t. There’s not exactly a hard sell going on.

Well done Matty and the other bangers.

Who’s next?

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2022, 10:07 AM
Willing to wait for the free stuff as I am a cheap skate

Appreciate all the hard work and hours that Matty and the gang put in

Always look forward to tuning in

Keep up the good work

ClermistonGreen
06-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Must be really auld !
I have absolutely no idea what your all talking about !
:flag::agree:

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2022, 10:12 AM
Must be really auld !
I have absolutely no idea what your all talking about !
:flag::agree:

https://youtu.be/_ZNECrk1MMc

Groathillgrump
06-07-2022, 10:13 AM
Not really a person who listens to podcasts but when I saw Graham Spiers was your guest I gave it a listen and thoroughly enjoyed it. :aok:

matty_f
06-07-2022, 10:21 AM
Not really a person who listens to podcasts but when I saw Graham Spiers was your guest I gave it a listen and thoroughly enjoyed it. :aok:

Glad you enjoyed it!

LongJohnBanger
06-07-2022, 10:53 AM
A shree page thread all about one Longbangers episode? Once upon a time a multiple page thread just contained the various episode details.

Appreciate the feedback, genuinely. Longbangers has come a long way since it began and I've clearly come a long way personally since getting pulled up for 'hesitation markers' to getting rinsed for showing off and using a big word in front of a journalist 🤣

How come naebdy called me out for 'evocative' a few weeks back?!

superfurryhibby
06-07-2022, 11:12 AM
looking forward to hearing it.

Speirs lacked credibility as a journalist in his younger years. He was too sycophantic and not objective enough with the likes of Murray and Walter Smith. I think removing himself from the goldfish bowl of Scottish football journalism did him a lot of good.

marinello59
06-07-2022, 12:37 PM
Yep. And speaking of pointless threads - Matty also gives a lot of his free time helping to maintain and clear-up crappy threads and unfortunate posts, having been an admin for years.

I’m sure all the hibs.net team feel he’s contributed more than enough.

I’m sure Matty will correct you himself but he hasn’t been an Admin here for a wee while now. He’s an ex admin, he is no more, he’s fallen off his perch etc etc. :greengrin

DaveF
06-07-2022, 12:56 PM
How come naebdy called me out for 'evocative' a few weeks back?!

No one was listening?

matty_f
06-07-2022, 01:28 PM
I’m sure Matty will correct you himself but he hasn’t been an Admin here for a wee while now. He’s an ex admin, he is no more, he’s fallen off his perch etc etc. :greengrin

Hold on, I’m not sure i want the dead parrot reference today given who else has had it!!

And yes, after many years I hung up my admin boots a few weeks back.

matty_f
06-07-2022, 01:29 PM
No one was listening?

:agree: actual factual.

WeeRussell
06-07-2022, 03:00 PM

Apologies 😁 I might edit a couple of words to make it correct.

Lovely poster though, beautiful plumage.

3pm
21-07-2022, 10:18 PM
Good too. ✌🏻

Succulent lamb. 🤣

matty_f
21-07-2022, 10:27 PM
Good too. ✌🏻

Succulent lamb. 🤣

:greengrin

3pm
21-07-2022, 10:41 PM
You lads probably weren't needed for that episode. 🤣