PDA

View Full Version : Lee David Johnson (officially unofficial thread for updates on our manager)

Mr. Wonderful
21-06-2022, 12:05 PM
The man, the myth, the manager.

Thought I'd create a space where we can discuss the man, since the old thread got derailed somewhat.

Consider this a safe space for updates, news, honest opinions and proper discussion.

LJGAWA

matty_f
21-06-2022, 12:17 PM
i’m very excited to see what he can do. His record is very good, imho, on a number of aspects.

We’re only a week or so away from our first pre-season game now, so we won’t have too long to wait to see if he’s as good as his chat suggests.

04Sauzee
21-06-2022, 12:23 PM
i’m very excited to see what he can do. His record is very good, imho, on a number of aspects.

We’re only a week or so away from our first pre-season game now, so we won’t have too long to wait to see if he’s as good as his chat suggests.

Hoping to see some more content from Hibs with him behind the camera when we go away to Portugal.

Think he will do well but even he's said the players have had 2 managers previous to him coming in and asking them to play different styles. He's said himself it's going to take a few windows for him to sort this out. We need to be patient 👍

J-C
21-06-2022, 12:23 PM
I like the fact he's trying to change our age old problem of pace and energy in the team, Boyle was about the only one we had with that and when he went it wasn't replaced. If we get McGeady then the problems of a creative could be solved, so far I like what I'm seeing.

jacomo
21-06-2022, 12:29 PM
Ah I see what you did here.

I’m gonna hijack this thread at the earliest opportunity to revisit an argument I had on here 8 months ago, because someone disagreed with me and I feel compelled to force my opinion down their throat.

*JOKE*

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2022, 12:31 PM
Hoping to see some more content from Hibs with him behind the camera when we go away to Portugal.

Think he will do well but even he's said the players have had 2 managers previous to him coming in and asking them to play different styles. He's said himself it's going to take a few windows for him to sort this out. We need to be patient 👍

Never gonna happen, christ we were having folk slitting their wrists when Lennon had us 2nd and winning in Europe, and Ross getting to cup finals and 3rd place.

If we are struggling around mid table at xmas, he will be hounded like the others.

jacomo
21-06-2022, 12:34 PM
Never gonna happen, christ we were having folk slitting their wrists when Lennon had us 2nd and winning in Europe, and Ross getting to cup finals and 3rd place.

If we are struggling around mid table at xmas, he will be hounded like the others.

Let’s try and change the script eh?

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Don’t get a great feeling about him which is a good sign as it usually means he’ll be decent.

Mr. Wonderful
21-06-2022, 12:49 PM

Agree. I know results are all that matters really but Would like to see us do one of those mic'd up videos that others do.

JimBHibees
21-06-2022, 01:20 PM
Agree. I know results are all that matters really but Would like to see us do one of those mic'd up videos that others do.

Hope not

H18 SFR
21-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Feeling really positive about the new season and this appointment.

He’s got a very solid foundation to build upon, I’m excited to see where we are 12 and 24 months from now under him.

Excited to be getting underway again.

JammyDoidger
21-06-2022, 01:50 PM
Got a great feeling about him, what I don't have is a great feeling he will get what he wants in terms of players coming in, the board seem to be rigidly sticking to their model, I hope this changes under johnson and he's allowed to add 3 or 4 players of real quality.

GreenGray
21-06-2022, 01:55 PM
His record is very very good on paper, particularly at Bristol City when he was given a long period of time, hopefully he gets that here and the fans get behind him, I have a feeling this season could be a lot of fun with lots of ups and downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 01:58 PM

I’m gonna hijack this thread at the earliest opportunity to revisit an argument I had on here 8 months ago, because someone disagreed with me and I feel compelled to force my opinion down their throat.

*JOKE*

And the crowd goes mild.

Smartie
21-06-2022, 01:59 PM
If you were to ask me to name three geniuses, I probably wouldn't say Einstein, Newton... [struggles for word] . I'd go Milligan, Cleese, Everett.

Sessions.

jacomo
21-06-2022, 02:33 PM
And the crowd goes mild.

Don’t you start!

matty_f
21-06-2022, 02:37 PM
If you were to ask me to name three geniuses, I probably wouldn't say Einstein, Newton... [struggles for word] . I'd go Milligan, Cleese, Everett.

Sessions.

yes!! :greengrin

Since452
21-06-2022, 02:42 PM
It's the most optimistic i've felt about a managerial appointment in a long time. I think he has the right blend of age and experience. Left each of his previous clubs in a better position than when he joined and been involved in the game up here so wont underestimate it. I honestly believe we'll push on under him.

H18 SFR
21-06-2022, 02:44 PM
It's the most optimistic i've felt about a managerial appointment in a long time. I think he has the right blend of age and experience. Left each of his previous clubs in a better position than when he joined and been involved in the game up here so wont underestimate it. I honestly believe we'll push on under him.

This is a really good summary to be fair. I think we have made a really good appointment.

HendoDelivered
21-06-2022, 02:47 PM

This for me too.

RyeSloan
21-06-2022, 04:15 PM
His record is very very good on paper, particularly at Bristol City when he was given a long period of time, hopefully he gets that here and the fans get behind him, I have a feeling this season could be a lot of fun with lots of ups and downs.

He was quoted as saying he’ll need 3 or 4 windows before he really has the team he wants…I dearly hope his teams are good enough in the interim for him to get that chance!

All positive from me so far though, the prospect of watching a Hibs team that actually is entertaining to watch is the only metric required for that just now…we’ll move that bar up soon enough though but for starters some fun n goals is the aim.

Northernhibee
21-06-2022, 04:18 PM

*JOKE*
No you’re not

All I hope to begin with is being able to enjoy watching Hibs. Either though winning a lot or playing really good football that could lead to us having a really good team, I’ll go with it.

Sir David Gray
21-06-2022, 04:30 PM
He was quoted as saying he’ll need 3 or 4 windows before he really has the team he wants…I dearly hope his teams are good enough in the interim for him to get that chance!

All positive from me so far though, the prospect of watching a Hibs team that actually is entertaining to watch is the only metric required for that just now…we’ll move that bar up soon enough though but for starters some fun n goals is the aim.

Four windows (including this one) takes us into January 2024 so whilst it may well take that long for him to get the team together that he wants, he's going to need to get the best out of the squad we currently have in order to be given until January 2024.

Time isn't something that is really given to football managers nowadays and I'm sure he knows that. We need to really hit the ground running and show some real positive signs early on - for me that includes skooshing the League Cup group stage and starting strongly in the league (including avoiding defeat to Hearts in our first home league match) so that we're in or around 3rd place by the end of the first round of fixtures.

Rightly or wrongly a continuation of the last 6 or 7 months of last season will see the pressure build regardless of how long Johnson thinks he needs.

RyeSloan
21-06-2022, 04:53 PM
Four windows (including this one) takes us into January 2024 so whilst it may well take that long for him to get the team together that he wants, he's going to need to get the best out of the squad we currently have in order to be given until January 2024.

Time isn't something that is really given to football managers nowadays and I'm sure he knows that. We need to really hit the ground running and show some real positive signs early on - for me that includes skooshing the League Cup group stage and starting strongly in the league (including avoiding defeat to Hearts in our first home league match) so that we're in or around 3rd place by the end of the first round of fixtures.

Rightly or wrongly a continuation of the last 6 or 7 months of last season will see the pressure build regardless of how long Johnson thinks he needs.

Don’t overly disagree but reckon anything top 6 after the first round of games alongside some good entertaining football will be fine…sure I hope he does better but like it or not we are going to have to give him some time to build. As long as he can do that in a respectable manner I think he’ll get it.

Still if he wants to go and win us the league cup and have us cruising in third in a few months time then he’s welcome to do that as well [emoji2957]

MyJo
21-06-2022, 07:14 PM

But what if he just tells us one of his recycled anecdotes that he’s already said in other interviews again?

jacomo
21-06-2022, 07:25 PM
But what if he just tells us one of his recycled anecdotes that he’s already said in other interviews again?

Let’s not eh? You’ll get this thread shuttered n all.

jacomo
21-06-2022, 07:29 PM
No you’re not

All I hope to begin with is being able to enjoy watching Hibs. Either though winning a lot or playing really good football that could lead to us having a really good team, I’ll go with it.

It’s tricky because the reality is that the only thing that matters in the short term is getting results. Otherwise he will be starting in a tricky situation.

However, remember that Stubbs had a pretty forgettable first couple of months, regrettably Hearts built a commanding lead in the championship that they never relinquished.

But from late September 2014 it all started to click into place.

Mr. Wonderful
21-06-2022, 07:42 PM

Then someone can post their opinion about it and hopefully a reasoned debate will ensue with agreements and disagreement. As is natural in any walk of life.

H18 SFR
21-06-2022, 07:54 PM
Let’s not eh? You’ll get this thread shuttered n all.

I genuinely think some folk are deliberately doing this.

B.H.F.C
21-06-2022, 07:55 PM
It’s tricky because the reality is that the only thing that matters in the short term is getting results. Otherwise he will be starting in a tricky situation.

However, remember that Stubbs had a pretty forgettable first couple of months, regrettably Hearts built a commanding lead in the championship that they never relinquished.

But from late September 2014 it all started to click into place.

Think the Stubbs example shows the importance of a ‘big’ result for a manager.

We were toiling big time then, out of nowhere, found ourselves 3-0 up at Ibrox after about half an hour one night. Our form was still a bit up and down at times but that gave a bit of belief. Then even towards the end of that season we beat Hearts at ER and, even though it didn’t really count for much, it was another thing that gave a bit of belief. For all that folk say it’s all about results, I remember the crowd clapping them off at the end of the Play Off against Rangers at ER even though it meant another season in the Championship. Think if folk genuinely feel something is going in the right direction, they’ll support it.

Guess what I’m trying to say is it would be really helpful for LJ, and us, if we could just beat Hearts at the start of August. Would be massive IMO as we need something that is going to unite support and players a bit again.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 08:28 PM
Think the Stubbs example shows the importance of a ‘big’ result for a manager.

We were toiling big time then, out of nowhere, found ourselves 3-0 up at Ibrox after about half an hour one night. Our form was still a bit up and down at times but that gave a bit of belief. Then even towards the end of that season we beat Hearts at ER and, even though it didn’t really count for much, it was another thing that gave a bit of belief. For all that folk say it’s all about results, I remember the crowd clapping them off at the end of the Play Off against Rangers at ER even though it meant another season in the Championship. Think if folk genuinely feel something is going in the right direction, they’ll support it.

Guess what I’m trying to say is it would be really helpful for LJ, and us, if we could just beat Hearts at the start of August. Would be massive IMO as we need something that is going to unite support and players a bit again.

We talked about your last paragraph on the podcast this week, it really is a massive game for Johnson. i don’t think a defeat would be catastrophic but it would be a significant setback, whereas a win would be absolutely massive for him and the club, which could really build momentum and set us up for the season.

Jim44
21-06-2022, 08:36 PM

3 to 4 windows??? He won’t get that long. If we aren’t challenging after a couple of windows, he’ll be out the door……… not necessarily my opinion but a likely Hibernian trait. Bottom line, Lee. Get out the traps early and don’t expect a leisurely season or two to find your feet.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 08:39 PM
3 to 4 windows??? He won’t get that long. If we aren’t challenging after a couple of windows, he’ll be out the door……… not necessarily my opinion but a likely Hibernian trait. Bottom line, Lee. Get out the traps early and don’t expect a leisurely season or two to find your feet.

I don't think he meant he would need that to perform, he meant to shape the squad exactly how he wanted it with his own players.

B.H.F.C
21-06-2022, 08:40 PM
We talked about your last paragraph on the podcast this week, it really is a massive game for Johnson. i don’t think a defeat would be catastrophic but it would be a significant setback, whereas a win would be absolutely massive for him and the club, which could really build momentum and set us up for the season.

We’ll take a big crowd up to Perth first game of the season. And irrespective of the result there, ER will be a sell out for the Derby. The support will be there to start with, we really need to see something we can get behind early doors. We’d still have plenty opportunity to recover from a poor start but with the current mood, a good start is really important.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 08:42 PM
We’ll take a big crowd up to Perth first game of the season. And irrespective of the result there, ER will be a sell out for the Derby. The support will be there to start with, we really need to see something we can get behind early doors. We’d still have plenty opportunity to recover from a poor start but with the current mood, a good start is really important.

Totally agree. :agree:

Slim Shady
21-06-2022, 09:51 PM

Bad start at Perth and against Herats and the media will have great delight in lighting the torch paper on Lee.

ian cruise
21-06-2022, 10:03 PM

While I don't disagree with the first part of your comment I'm not sure the second part is a guarantee.

If a Hibs team is playing attractive football you're definitely given some leeway, if you're playing pragmatic, safe style with no flair or panache then you need the results.

Unfortunately Ross struggled with the latter so when a result didn't go his way, some were ready to pounce. If the style Johnson played with other teams is what he brings to Hibs he should get a little more rebuilding time.

CL0762
21-06-2022, 11:24 PM
Bad start at Perth and against Herats and the media will have great delight in lighting the torch paper on Lee.

Then it should be well ignored.

LJ is going to have a sticky spell, that’s beyond doubt but I feel the difference in him could be how the players are performing. Latterly under Ross, majority under Maloney & continued into Gray the players just didn’t seem that arsed. Weren’t busting a gut to make a block or trying a risky pass. It was all very safe and laboured.

I’m fairly confident that given Johnson’s track record we’ll win more than we’ll lose and we’ll do it in a way that excites and enthuses the support.

theonlywayisup
22-06-2022, 07:57 AM

Don't think it'll be just the media. Some on .net will also be the same.

However, IMO he's being set up to fail if we continue our current recruitment policy. It's all very good if our young recruits excel and we go on to have a good season, but surely we need some reliable good solid pros now. Like many, I'm excited by some of our young recruits, but what happens if they disappoint.

Dalianwanda
22-06-2022, 09:10 AM
Don't think it'll be just the media. Some on .net will also be the same.

However, IMO he's being set up to fail if we continue our current recruitment policy. It's all very good if our young recruits excel and we go on to have a good season, but surely we need some reliable good solid pros now. Like many, I'm excited by some of our young recruits, but what happens if they disappoint.

We could say that about some of the 'good solid pros' weve signed over the years, many a disappointment. I do get why folk are looking for experience but we do have it there already, I also think there will be more to come in. I like what Ive heard from LJ and have high hopes that he's going to get the best from our players & put out a team that will get pulses racing (oh please god)....

Betty Boop
22-06-2022, 11:00 AM
Anybody know if he is going to be living up here ?

snedzuk
22-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Hes packing a bit of paunch - like me - but satrorially seems to be doing pretty well. Good hair / beard look. Has a stripey sports jacket though that could usefully spend more time in the wardrobe.

Since452
22-06-2022, 11:59 AM
Anybody know if he is going to be living up here ?

He said in an interview he's going to commit to the club and local area so he's definitely putting everything in to it

basehibby
22-06-2022, 12:26 PM
I think it's interesting that LJ's dad is also a manager. That doesn't happen often. Anyone think that bestows any advantage on a young manager?

Greencore
22-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Highlights of when Leeds (hecky manager) played Bristol City (LJ manager) were on sky sports football last night. Managed to see the game upto 2-2, one thing I noticed Bristol City were taking throw ins and launching them into the box, which resulted into two goals.

H18 SFR
22-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Highlights of when Leeds (hecky manager) played Bristol City (LJ manager) were on sky sports football last night. Managed to see the game upto 2-2, one thing I noticed Bristol City were taking throw ins and launching them into the box, which resulted into two goals.

I’m sure they had a 6’6” centre half though - name escapes me.

Smartie
22-06-2022, 10:04 PM
I’m sure they had a 6’6” centre half though - name escapes me.

Was that Aden Flint?

He was an absolute monster at corners the time I saw Bristol City play, scored one and caused havoc the rest of the time.

Didn’t think he was quite 6 ft 6 but was certainly a physical presence.

H18 SFR
22-06-2022, 10:14 PM
Was that Aden Flint?

He was an absolute monster at corners the time I saw Bristol City play, scored one and caused havoc the rest of the time.

Yeah that’s him. They played off him at every set piece.

Nicho87
22-06-2022, 10:30 PM

Better not start that nonsense up here

I only want liquid football on the deck, the hibs way.

Kidding

If it’s effective, go for it

DstN75
22-06-2022, 11:07 PM
While I don't disagree with the first part of your comment I'm not sure the second part is a guarantee.

If a Hibs team is playing attractive football you're definitely given some leeway, if you're playing pragmatic, safe style with no flair or panache then you need the results.

Unfortunately Ross struggled with the latter so when a result didn't go his way, some were ready to pounce. If the style Johnson played with other teams is what he brings to Hibs he should get a little more rebuilding time.

Yeah totally agree. If Ross had been playing attractive football there’s no way he’d have been binned when he was.

JimBHibees
23-06-2022, 05:58 AM
I think it's interesting that LJ's dad is also a manager. That doesn't happen often. Anyone think that bestows any advantage on a young manager?

Definitely would I would have thought will provide a level of experience and knowledge a young manager could only dream of plus an honest sounding board.. Gary Johnson always seemed like a decent guy also and was successful at a number of clubs in English lower leagues predominantly. Think he did well at Yeovil for a number of years

JimBHibees
23-06-2022, 06:00 AM
Was that Aden Flint?

I was hoping we would be in for him as he was out of contract at the end of the season but signed for Stoke. Wonder if we have any chance of signing Bailey Wright centre half who was at Sunderland with LJ and out of contract. Australian international

Stevie Reid
23-06-2022, 07:47 AM
Definitely would I would have thought will provide a level of experience and knowledge a young manager could only dream of plus an honest sounding board.. Gary Johnson always seemed like a decent guy also and was successful at a number of clubs in English lower leagues predominantly. Think he did well at Yeovil for a number of years

Think his Dad took Yeovil from the Conference to League One and then Bristol City from League One to the Championship playoff final in three years. Bit of a legend at both clubs I think.

Northernhibee
25-06-2022, 09:36 AM
I have to say that the more I hear the more I'm really excited for the new season, I feel bad for doubting him and preferring some of the other names on the candidates list above him. Sounds like a really decent and dedicated guy.

Callum_62
25-06-2022, 12:03 PM
Our manager on our head of recruitment
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220625/eedea891bf369cc4910b07333c8fcf39.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
25-06-2022, 01:25 PM
If we sign any more kids his first priority is gonna be a PVG certificate. :greengrin

He seems to have a pretty mixed record, which makes him on a par with probably 95% of managers who have been around for more than 5 minutes. As I said on another thread, what I do like is his stated philosophy that he would rather play to get two wins and a defeat in every three games than one win and two draws, I can't understand why more managers don't have that attitude to be honest, better 6 points out of every 9 than 5. No doubt it's high risk though, coz if it turns into one win and two defeats in every three it's ta ta Lee.

IMO he's been a bit unfortunate landing a derby for the second game of the season, I'm sure he would have preferred at least 6 league games under his belt before taking on the manky mob, especially when it's followed shortly after by a visit to Ibrox ...... having said that, if he can win it his stock with the fans will be high and it will give his players a lift for the games to come.

Lets hope it works out for him, in all honesty as things stand just now I can hardly recall a lead up to a season where I was so bereft of any idea as to how it was likely to work out.

Mcbizz1998
26-06-2022, 08:52 AM
Mate of mine met LJ in Indigo Yard last night, enjoying a few G&T’s. Said he is a lovely guy who was more than happy to talk about hibs with whoever wanted to.

Apparently he is especially excited by Tavarez, and can’t believe we managed to sign him.

Unseen work
27-06-2022, 12:01 PM
https://trib.al/7MVdoHs

Nisbet and the players seem impressed and excited

Since452
27-06-2022, 12:06 PM
I have to say that the more I hear the more I'm really excited for the new season, I feel bad for doubting him and preferring some of the other names on the candidates list above him. Sounds like a really decent and dedicated guy.

I was the same initially then the more i listened to him and more i read, the more i started to get really excited. You can see excactly why he was appointed. His enthusiasm is infectious.

ian cruise
27-06-2022, 12:30 PM
IMO he's been a bit unfortunate landing a derby for the second game of the season, I'm sure he would have preferred at least 6 league games under his belt before taking on the manky mob, especially when it's followed shortly after by a visit to Ibrox ...... having said that, if he can win it his stock with the fans will be high and it will give his players a lift for the games to come.

While derbies are massively important, both to the club and the fans, and we all want a Hibs win I'm not so sure it is unfortunate to have that as the second game proper in the league campaign, possibly the opposite.
If we win, what a start and as you say gives the players an absolute lift however if we lose then it's early days for the manager and the team and unlikely to see anyone bar the most hard to please calling for his head, and there are 3 more at least to set the record straight.

Probably the closest you'll get to a free hit in a derby situation as we're a total unknown quantity with no real expectations on us yet.

bingo70
29-06-2022, 08:55 AM
Don’t think there’s been any word of the new goalie coach yet has there?

Noticed David Preece has left that role at Sunderland, he was at Barnsley at the same time as LJ as well so I suspect he could be our goalie coach.

Northernhibee
29-06-2022, 08:59 AM
While derbies are massively important, both to the club and the fans, and we all want a Hibs win I'm not so sure it is unfortunate to have that as the second game proper in the league campaign, possibly the opposite.
If we win, what a start and as you say gives the players an absolute lift however if we lose then it's early days for the manager and the team and unlikely to see anyone bar the most hard to please calling for his head, and there are 3 more at least to set the record straight.

Probably the closest you'll get to a free hit in a derby situation as we're a total unknown quantity with no real expectations on us yet.

Also Hearts have less time to suss out what we're about under LJ too. We might just catch them unawares.

Unseen work
04-07-2022, 03:57 PM
https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1543978260748460032?s=21&t=dnWzTI_M_gTSUzu4cLaYLg

Johnson mic’d up in training before the Hartlepool game.

Really interesting watch.

SteveHFC
04-07-2022, 04:03 PM
https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1543978260748460032?s=21&t=dnWzTI_M_gTSUzu4cLaYLg

Enjoyed that.

stokesmessiah
04-07-2022, 04:27 PM

Is that Dabrovski in nets at the end of that clip? Two amazing saves!

Stevie Reid
04-07-2022, 10:23 PM

Really enjoyed that. Brilliant video

Northernhibee
04-07-2022, 10:42 PM
Really enjoyed that. Brilliant video

I think I’d like working for him.

Unseen work
04-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Is that Dabrovski in nets at the end of that clip? Two amazing saves!

Yeah it is mate, brilliant saves.

https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1541798705724096515?s=21&t=BBBkVbBG5iMQjgYoZFYidA

Better angle of it above too.

green day
05-07-2022, 07:06 AM
The mic'd up thing was good.

Sounds like he knows what he wants and, importantly, gets his message across well.

As an aside, the club have had some criticism over the last year for its "content" - have to say that all of the coverage from Portugal (clips, match coverage, drone footage etc) has been very very good.