PDA

View Full Version : Hibs 6th Best Run Club In Europe

Since452
20-06-2022, 03:15 PM
This wont please some on here

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-left-shade-two-27283651

matty_f
20-06-2022, 03:20 PM
I think it’s indicative of the steps Hibs took (and were criticised for) to tighten the belts in off-field areas of the club during covid, and also the increase in commercial activity. Without seeing the underlying data though, it’s hard to assess how we did as well.

H18 SFR
20-06-2022, 03:23 PM
The negative Nigel’s have their thinking caps on.

Delighted to read this. Well done to St Mirren as well.

nonshinyfinish
20-06-2022, 03:25 PM
So we did make the top six after all?

GreenGray
20-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Suppose an article about how well run Hibs and St Mirren are wouldn’t be enough, had to get the old firm in there too[emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
Maybe the club do know what they’re doing after all eh?

Gordon said he wants us competing at the top end and he and Kensell addressed a lot of big offield issues so that we can compete financially and in the long run progress up the table.

3 out the 10 teams became champions.

I’m not saying we will be champions in Scotland, but I think it shows everything is in place now for us to really kick on. The main thing now is (and always will be) recruitment.

But money is being invested on and off the pitch and we’re likely to receive money for Doig and Porteous this summer.

Hopefully it’s reinvested well.

04Sauzee
Tick Tock

.Sean.
20-06-2022, 03:29 PM
But I thought the reprobates on Kickback said we’re going bust :confused:

Mikey_1875
20-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Certainly backs up Ron’s claim that everything is looking really positive off the park. Hopefully we get the football side firing this year.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 03:37 PM
Great. Look forward to the parade to celebrate this.

We've been well run off the park for 20 years really. Its on it we need to start making a difference. Ron is being rightly criticized because we've gone from 3rd to 8th in a year under his leadership. A massive step backwards and now well behind our rivals in terms of resources because of it. The fact we're functioning off the pitch doesn't do much for me.

Probably going to lose another 2 quality players in Doig and Porteous with no one at the club showing they have the ability to replace them.

matty_f
20-06-2022, 03:38 PM

We've been well run off the park for 20 years really. Its on it we need to start making a difference. Ron is being rightly criticized because we've gone from 3rd to 8th in a year under his leadership. A massive step backwards and now well behind our rivals in terms of resources because of it. The fact we're functioning off the pitch doesn't do much for me.

Probably going to lose another 2 quality players in Doig and Porteous with no one at the club showing they have the ability to replace them.

So not a fan, then?

SChibs
20-06-2022, 03:38 PM
'Ron the Con'

Unseen work
20-06-2022, 03:40 PM

He was also the one that took us to third, along with two cup finals and numerous semi finals.

The recruitment team under Mathie really let Ross down who paid the ultimate price, although even with the players available the run was shocking.

Gordon with hindsight recognises he got Ross out/Maloney in wrong and took no time in correcting it.

For me Johnson will do a similar job to Ross whilst playing a lot better football. Our windows in January and now have the ingredients of being good, if only we can sign quality this summer from now on and not untried youngsters.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 03:41 PM
So not a fan, then?

I support Hibs, not Ron Gordon. In my opinion, he hasn't shown himself to have any clue on how to get a winning football team on the pitch.

Scotty Leither
20-06-2022, 03:42 PM
Same stuff Petrie’s acolytes used to get all warm and fuzzy about. The team a bit less so, though.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 03:43 PM
He was also the one that took us to third, along with two cup finals and numerous semi finals.

The recruitment team under Mathie really let Ross down who paid the ultimate price, although even with the players available the run was shocking.

Gordon with hindsight recognises he got Ross out/Maloney in wrong and took no time in correcting it.

For me Johnson will do a similar job to Ross whilst playing a lot better football. Our windows in January and now have the ingredients of being good, if only we can sign quality this summer from now on and not untried youngsters.

Eh, I think the staff from the previous regime made the majority of the good decisions than brought us to 3rd place. Since Dempster has moved on, we'd basically made zero good decisions on the footballing side.

I desperately hope he gets it right, I would love nothing more, but he hasn't done anything so far to show he can.

Big_Franck
20-06-2022, 03:47 PM

I agree with a lot of this. But our windows in January and this summer have absolutely not moved us forward and I don't see any ingredients that are likely to do so. In terms of first team quality we haven't moved forward at all since 1st January 2022 IMO.

Roxyhibee
20-06-2022, 03:47 PM
Weirdly, I started buying a pre match pie toward the end of last season for the first time in about 20 years. From the perspective of a grumpy old Hibby, I think this could be a powerful key performance indicator of how well the club is being run..

Unseen work
20-06-2022, 03:48 PM
Eh, I think the staff from the previous regime made the majority of the good decisions than brought us to 3rd place. Since Dempster has moved on, we'd basically made zero good decisions on the footballing side.

I desperately hope he gets it right, I would love nothing more, but he hasn't done anything so far to show he can.

Ah right ok, so all the bad is Ron’s fault and all the good is Leanne’s? Even though they’re in different roles?

What about the commercial side of things/behind the goals etc all being really poor and not changing until recently?

No doubt Leanne done a brilliant job initially, but I don’t think she was still as highly thought of prior to her departure.

She also had plenty of mistakes (as does everyone).

Yorkshire HFC
20-06-2022, 03:48 PM
So not a fan, then?

I support Hibs as a football team - I support the players and manager - I'm not bothered about anything else.

The club pays a board of directors to run the club and I assume they do it well - that's why they get paid the big bucks.

I've got enough worries about my own finances - I'm certainly not worried about the finances of a football club.

If we're so well run then why did we go into our last final without a manager? Why did we sell our best player and not replace him? Why do we have such a high turnover of managers?

How long does it all take to bear fruit - should we expect great things next season? I hope so.

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2022, 03:50 PM
Why you not all calling the Record a rag like usual?

Does that only apply when we read something we don’t like?

Unseen work
20-06-2022, 03:51 PM
I agree with a lot of this. But our windows in January and this summer have absolutely not moved us forward and I don't see any ingredients that are likely to do so. In terms of first team quality we haven't moved forward at all since 1st January 2022 IMO.

I do get that, I’m meaning more on the current unknown players albeit it’s a massive if as opposed to when.

Kenneh, Tavares, Melkersen etc could all be brilliant or terrible. Henderson has shown flashes he could be a good player going forward.

I think Marshall, Mitchell, Clarke were all good signings but with injuries it really killed any momentum and hype about them. Jasper was another that in a better and more consistent team I think he would have shined.

But for me we need to stop with all the unknown players and get some tried and tested players to take us forward

flash
20-06-2022, 03:51 PM

You do realise it wasn't the Record who compiled the list we came 6th on?

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 03:57 PM
Ah right ok, so all the bad is Ron’s fault and all the good is Leanne’s? Even though they’re in different roles?

What about the commercial side of things/behind the goals etc all being really poor and not changing until recently?

No doubt Leanne done a brilliant job initially, but I don’t think she was still as highly thought of prior to her departure.

She also had plenty of mistakes (as does everyone).

Well, Dempster has, in my opinion, a fairly successful system in place and the team have been fairly good since she came in. What are these plenty of mistakes Dempster made? I'd say Ron has already made more on the footballing side than she ever did.

Yes, they were in different roles, but she was the highest level staff member left from before, and I think her team were doing a good job, and had done a brilliant one to start with. She had proven she could hire people to get a winning team on the pitch.

Ron absolutely has not.

I never mentioned the commercial side whatsoever, because its not why I buy a season ticket, I don't support business partnerships with restaurants and testicle shaving equipment. I'm all for it and I do think RG knows what he is doing on that front and I trust him to get us good business deals. I do not trust him to use the money wisely to get us winning matches, though.

Bostonhibby
20-06-2022, 03:58 PM
Same stuff Petrie’s acolytes used to get all warm and fuzzy about. The team a bit less so, though.I can feel a positive balance sheet coming on, RP did us much more good than harm but at my advancing age I need it to be happening regularly on the pitch, the rest of it whilst relevant doesn't excite me as much as it used to when the tache was in charge of Arkwright's cash register.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

McSwanky
20-06-2022, 03:59 PM

Hopefully this will avoid any Daily Record arguments.

https://offthepitch.com/a/danish-club-takes-top-spot-pitch-announce-top-financial-performers-2021

For once they were only reporting the facts.

Waxy
20-06-2022, 04:02 PM
A whole new bright future here on Hibs.net.
Bye bye negative nellies.

Unseen work
20-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Well, Dempster has, in my opinion, a fairly successful system in place and the team have been fairly good since she came in. What are these plenty of mistakes Dempster made? I'd say Ron has already made more on the footballing side than she ever did.

Yes, they were in different roles, but she was the highest level staff member left from before, and I think her team were doing a good job, and had done a brilliant one to start with. She had proven she could hire people to get a winning team on the pitch.

Ron absolutely has not.

I never mentioned the commercial side whatsoever, because its not why I buy a season ticket, I don't support business partnerships with restaurants and testicle shaving equipment. I'm all for it and I do think RG knows what he is doing on that front and I trust him to get us good business deals. I do not trust him to use the money wisely to get us winning matches, though.

I’d say how things ended with Lennon, no one knows the exact details but the whole thing looked like a mess which she received a lot of criticism for at the time.

Under Lennon we appeared to move away from the recruitment that worked well in the championship with us moving to a different type of player that saw us recruit guys like Nelom, Mavrias, big Dave etc.

Then there was the thing with Appleton and him being the first choice but we couldn’t agree on the deal which lead to Heckingbottom being appointed and a lot of people thinking he was clearly second choice.

This isn’t a knock on her by the way as I really liked her and appreciate the work she done for us and ultimately being at the club and party responsible for that day in May.

But I think it’s not fair to compare her and Ron based on the limited time.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion though 👍🏻

Dashing Bob S
20-06-2022, 04:09 PM
I support Ron. Not that bothered about Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
20-06-2022, 04:10 PM
Let’s call this Ron.net or Ron.con

Brightside
20-06-2022, 04:11 PM

They are just reporting a study. They didnt write the study.

jacomo
20-06-2022, 04:17 PM
I support Hibs, not Ron Gordon. In my opinion, he hasn't shown himself to have any clue on how to get a winning football team on the pitch.

Except when we finished 3rd or does that not count?

H18 SFR
20-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Team Ron. 100% a Ron-man myself.

Mon the Ron.

JimBHibees
20-06-2022, 04:20 PM
Except when we finished 3rd or does that not count?

Obviously not

Brooster
20-06-2022, 04:22 PM
Massive strides being taken off the pitch by Hibs and Ron Gordon at the moment, well done. Just need to improve on the pitch.

Smartie
20-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Wait for some to claim it’s a lack of ambition, penny pinching etc.

I think it’s indicative of the steps Hibs took (and were criticised for) to tighten the belts in off-field areas of the club during covid, and also the increase in commercial activity. Without seeing the underlying data though, it’s hard to assess how we did as well.

I seem to remember us taking a slaughtering for it from all sorts of "experts" within Scottish football, particularly the Sportsound lot.

Interesting that Hibs appear to be now receiving plaudits for their handling of the situation at the time, which may have appeared to be a bit ruthless but seemed totally sensible to me.

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2022, 04:25 PM

"You do realise...."

Get you eh, feeling all superior now aye.

flash
20-06-2022, 04:30 PM
"You do realise...."

Get you eh, feeling all superior now aye.

So you didn't realise that then.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Except when we finished 3rd or does that not count?Already answered this :aok:

I’d say how things ended with Lennon, no one knows the exact details but the whole thing looked like a mess which she received a lot of criticism for at the time.

Under Lennon we appeared to move away from the recruitment that worked well in the championship with us moving to a different type of player that saw us recruit guys like Nelom, Mavrias, big Dave etc.

Then there was the thing with Appleton and him being the first choice but we couldn’t agree on the deal which lead to Heckingbottom being appointed and a lot of people thinking he was clearly second choice.

This isn’t a knock on her by the way as I really liked her and appreciate the work she done for us and ultimately being at the club and party responsible for that day in May.

But I think it’s not fair to compare her and Ron based on the limited time.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion though 👍🏻

Lennon ending was ugly, but I certainly don't think it was her fault. She should've just sacked him as he deserved.

Recruitment was strange under Lennon, but I think he had a big part to play in that. Still signed some quality, but mostly short term quality.

Don't think there was anything wrong with Appleton thing. He wanted X, we wanted Y. Happens in every job worldwide.

I think its absolutely justified to compare them both. She inherited a complete and utter mess and turned it upside down into a great side. He inherited much less of a mess and, based on last season, is kinda turning it into one, although I don't think it will reach those levels.

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2022, 04:34 PM

They are just reporting a study. They didnt write the study.

See the difference in tone here?

You used to post your thoughts on Hibs and football related stuff in general. Now it's just digs at fellow Hibs fans. What happened?

If you read the last page or two of the LJ thread that has just been closed, you'll see a few posts giving on instructions on how to use the ignore function.

Try it out on me and let everyone know if it's working.

flash
20-06-2022, 04:35 PM
Already answered this :aok:

Lennon ending was ugly, but I certainly don't think it was her fault. She should've just sacked him as he deserved.

Recruitment was strange under Lennon, but I think he had a big part to play in that. Still signed some quality, but mostly short term quality.

Don't think there was anything wrong with Appleton thing. He wanted X, we wanted Y. Happens in every job worldwide.

I think its absolutely justified to compare them both. She inherited a complete and utter mess and turned it upside down into a great side. He inherited much less of a mess and, based on last season, is kinda turning it into one, although I don't think it will reach those levels.

Surely the comparison is between the owner and Tom Farmer.

OldEast
20-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Massive strides being taken off the pitch by Hibs and Ron Gordon at the moment, well done. Just need to improve on the pitch.

Hopefully the appointment of Lee Johnson will take care of that. Obviously going by last season's performances we need new signings but even if we sign nobody else I feel he'll get much better out of our current squad.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 04:38 PM
Surely the comparison is between the owner and Tom Farmer.

Fair enough yeah.

Farmer hired Dempster.

Gordon hired his laddie and Kensell.

Still doesn't look especially good for Ron.

Now, of course, Farmer had 25 years before hiring Dempster, but its very difficult to compare that IMO. Farmer wasn't all success, thats for sure. I'm just comparing the 2 recent eras.

FWIW, I'm delighted Ron and Hibs are succeeding off the pitch. I'd much rather see them succeed on it.

Mark05
20-06-2022, 04:38 PM

I'm thinking the same, I'm getting excited about this coming season hopefully some good attacking football to watch

flash
20-06-2022, 04:44 PM
Fair enough yeah.

Farmer hired Dempster.

Now, of course, Farmer had 25 years before hiring Dempster, but its very difficult to compare that IMO. Farmer wasn't all success, thats for sure. I'm just comparing the 2 recent eras.

FWIW, I'm delighted Ron and Hibs are succeeding off the pitch. I'd much rather see them succeed on it.
Can't argue with any of that.

flash
20-06-2022, 04:45 PM

You used to post your thoughts on Hibs and football related stuff in general. Now it's just digs at fellow Hibs fans. What happened?

If you read the last page or two of the LJ thread that has just been closed, you'll see a few posts giving on instructions on how to use the ignore function.

Bit ironic seeing as your post was a dig at fellow fans.

Never used ignore and never will.

davhibby
20-06-2022, 04:46 PM
Fair enough yeah.

Farmer hired Dempster.

Well you’ve just ruined your own argument there. Since Farmer is clearly getting the benefit of the doubt for not appointing someone as good as Dempster for 25 years, why can’t you even give the man Ron has appointed a full year to prove his worth?

For what it’s worth, I think Ron’s biggest mistake so far was not replacing Dempster when she left and giving Mathie a greater role. If she’d been replaced properly at the time by someone like BK then the window last summer wouldn’t have been as much of a disaster

jacomo
20-06-2022, 04:50 PM
Already answered this :aok:

Leeann did great for us but of course she made mistakes along the way. She admits to having regrets over the way Neil left, which suggests it wasn’t just his fault.

Ron’s biggest mistake so far was sacking Jack and appointing Shaun. But again he has hinted at regrets over this, and since praised Jack for the work he did.

It’s been a bumpy year. But I think we need to appreciate there is a clear desire for success at the top, and hope that it all starts to come together. I don’t see why it shouldn’t.

Brightside
20-06-2022, 04:51 PM

Is that aimed at me? 😂

flash
20-06-2022, 05:00 PM
Is that aimed at me? 😂

I claim that honour.

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 05:02 PM
It's good to hear, but the 6th best run club in Europe wouldn't have finished in the bottom 6 of the SPL with Hibs budget.

SlickShoes
20-06-2022, 05:05 PM
Kind of amazing that some of our fans can't just see a bit of good news and think "well that's cool" and move on with their day. Got to find a way to use it to complain about something and get your daily moan out of your system.

Brightside
20-06-2022, 05:10 PM
It's good to hear, but the 6th best run club in Europe wouldn't have finished in the bottom 6 of the SPL with Hibs budget.

Have you read the report?

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Kind of amazing that some of our fans can't just see a bit of good news and think "well that's cool" and move on with their day. Got to find a way to use it to complain about something and get your daily moan out of your system.

Forum would be a bit boring if that were the case.

Hibs are not 6th best ran club in Europe. It's bonkers to think otherwise, as the ultimate evidence of that is on the park.

Scotty Leither
20-06-2022, 05:19 PM

Heard this song before though, so many times.

We had the best balance sheet and a prolonged run of crap teams with dire players that shouldn’t have got near a Hibs strip. There was a link between the two…

And if the OP didn’t want a debate on it, why start a thread???

hibee-boys
20-06-2022, 05:24 PM
Ron The Don😎

hibee-boys
20-06-2022, 05:24 PM
…..at least we made the top 6🤪

matty_f
20-06-2022, 05:28 PM
It covers 2021, during which time we secured a third place finish, a cup semi final, European football, and a cup final. The important on the pitch measurements have rarely been bettered.

It was the second year in a row we’d been in the top ten:

A couple of regulars from Off The Pitch’s celebration of financial performers from the year before are also in the top 10 in 2021, with Hibernian being among top 10 most sustainable clubs for the second year in a row.

I would doubt that we’re in there for a third year given the expense of replacing talk managers and their teams, and that will be a reflection of the mistakes of those running the club.

H18 SFR
20-06-2022, 05:33 PM
In Ron we trust.

Nae whingers needed.

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 05:37 PM
In Ron we trust.

Nae whingers needed.

I agree. Doesn't mean people can't point out the glaringly obvious elephant in the room with claiming we are one of the best run clubs in Europe ie the ultimate barometer how the team performs on the pitch.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Silky
20-06-2022, 05:45 PM

Is that necessarily true? That club form Glasgow, who used to be called Rangers, were very badly run off the pitch, yet recorded successful seasons. If a badly run club can win things, a well run club can finish bottom 6.

May21/05/16
20-06-2022, 05:54 PM
I support Hibs, not Ron Gordon. In my opinion, he hasn't shown himself to have any clue on how to get a winning football team on the pitch.That's because you're hearts fan [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

SlickShoes
20-06-2022, 05:56 PM
Forum would be a bit boring if that were the case.

Hibs are not 6th best ran club in Europe. It's bonkers to think otherwise, as the ultimate evidence of that is on the park.

Do you know what this study is? It’s not “the best football club in Europe”

Since452
20-06-2022, 05:59 PM
Well you’ve just ruined your own argument there. Since Farmer is clearly getting the benefit of the doubt for not appointing someone as good as Dempster for 25 years, why can’t you even give the man Ron has appointed a full year to prove his worth?

For what it’s worth, I think Ron’s biggest mistake so far was not replacing Dempster when she left and giving Mathie a greater role. If she’d been replaced properly at the time by someone like BK then the window last summer wouldn’t have been as much of a disaster

Genuinely think Ron's biggest mistake so far was listening to the vocal minority that wanted Ross out. Scottish football fans are the most reactionary out there and I don't think he understood that. You're only as good as your last defeat.

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 06:00 PM

Really? I'm shocked at hearing we're not the 6th best club in Europe.

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 06:01 PM
Genuinely think Ron's biggest mistake so far was listening to the vocal minority that wanted Ross out. Scottish football fans are the most reactionary out there and I don't think he understood that. You're only as good as your last defeat.

It was a mistake sacking Ross. I don't see how it can be objectively argued otherwise.

southern hibby
20-06-2022, 06:03 PM
So we did make the top 6 this season

GGTTH

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 06:04 PM
Is that necessarily true? That club form Glasgow, who used to be called Rangers, were very badly run off the pitch, yet recorded successful seasons. If a badly run club can win things, a well run club can finish bottom 6.

If you look at in purely financial terms then yes. If you look at the things that actually matter on the park like management appointments, coaching standards and quality of signings then Rangers have clearly been extremely well run the last few years.

If it was in purely financial terms they'd not have been a baw hair away from winning the Europa League. They played teams with far bigger budgets than them.

Billy Whizz
20-06-2022, 06:07 PM

What is the study actually based on, the DR article is a bit vague

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 06:10 PM
That's because you're hearts fan [emoji106]

I'm really not. Ridiculous thing to say. More than happy to meet up at the next match at Easter road if you'd like me to prove it.

You really do not read many of my posts if you think I don't support Hibs. Just make yourself look a bit silly.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 06:14 PM

I understand that, but you must remember what Farmer took over. A reluctant owner who saved the club and built us up over years Vs a guy who inherited us with little debt, a great stadium and training ground etc and made big promises. You can't compare the 2. I'd have significantly more patience with Ron if he took over in the circumstances Tom Farmer did.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable in asking for some signs of competence from our football department.

jacomo
20-06-2022, 06:20 PM
Ron The Don😎

:aok:

jacomo
20-06-2022, 06:24 PM
It was a mistake sacking Ross. I don't see how it can be objectively argued otherwise.

It can’t. Someone will be along to say we’d now be looking forward to the championship if we’d kept him but we should ignore such nonsense.

The only positive is that it might have taught our owner some valuable lessons about running a Scottish football club. He’s clearly no fool.

Bostonhibby
20-06-2022, 06:26 PM
I understand that, but you must remember what Farmer took over. A reluctant owner who saved the club and built us up over years Vs a guy who inherited us with little debt, a great stadium and training ground etc and made big promises. You can't compare the 2. I'd have significantly more patience with Ron if he took over in the circumstances Tom Farmer did.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable in asking for some signs of competence from our football department.

Agree with all of that, you've been around enough for it to be based on fact, it's just a pity you apparently don't seem to be a Hibs fan [emoji849]

Pretty Boy
20-06-2022, 06:37 PM
So a thread about Hibs adapting well to the covid situation and coming out of it relatively unscathed and financially sound descends into a thread with fans slagging each other within about half a dozen posts and the subject matter is totally lost.

Great.

matty_f
20-06-2022, 06:41 PM
So a thread about Hibs adapting well to the covid situation and coming out of it relatively unscathed and financially sound descends into a thread with fans slagging each other within about half a dozen posts and the subject matter is totally lost.

Great.

I probably didn’t help matters, i’ll edit my post.

NAE NOOKIE
20-06-2022, 06:45 PM
There is a difference between being a well run club and being a successful one. I'm sure there are a few clubs in the lower reaches of the SPFL who are well run, but who hold no pretensions of ever being a top league club or seriously challenging for any of the cups. That's not us and simply being well run isn't enough, desirable absolutely but not enough, because as Hearts will show next season there's a pile of cash to be made in the new landscape of European football and a failure to tap into that by, for example, finishing 8th in a 12 team league means you are in effect failing in your core business.

If you get managers wrong, if you get the signing policy wrong, then you fail on the pitch. It doesn't matter how many small sponsorship deals you sign, it doesn't matter how attractive the hospitality areas are and it doesn't matter how well you budget the cash the club has from these areas. The real money is in being successful on the park.

More success on the park = more fans paying through the gate. More success on the park = more prize money. More success on the park = more TV money. Income from these 3 things dwarf all other income streams, with the exception of income from transfers, but even then success on the park also makes your players worth more in the transfer market.

This is possibly why a lot of folk are getting a bit squeaky ersed about the number of kids we are signing with as yet no sign of the experience we need to improve the team immediately, with the very real prospect that before we make any signings like that we might have two of our best regulars from last season to replace in Porteous and Doig, making getting tried and tested first team ready players in even more of an imperative, but also meaning we will need more of them if those two do go.

Apparently we have sold just shy of 10,500 season tickets, that's pretty bloody good considering how negative things have been for 6 months. But we simply can't afford another season like the last one or that will drop big time, that means getting it right on the pitch next season.

Since90+2
20-06-2022, 06:46 PM

Great.

That's a tad overdramatic. Seems like a fairly normal debate about the merits of such a ranking after the pathetic performance of the team last season.

We're football fans after all not investment bankers, we take enjoyment from results on the pitch not financial performance.

May21/05/16
20-06-2022, 07:15 PM
I'm really not. Ridiculous thing to say. More than happy to meet up at the next match at Easter road if you'd like me to prove it.

You really do not read many of my posts if you think I don't support Hibs. Just make yourself look a bit silly.I won't take you up on your offer to meet up
Before a game as I only like meeting positive thinking fans
I withdraw my remark about you being a hearts fan

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 07:22 PM
I won't take you up on your offer to meet up
Before a game as I only like meeting positive thinking fans
I withdraw my remark about you being a hearts fan

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

:faf: oh bore off.

I'm not a positive or negative Hibs fan. I go with what I think is correct. Sad how you cannot respond to my argument so you reply with this utter pish.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Agree with all of that, you've been around enough for it to be based on fact, it's just a pity you apparently don't seem to be a Hibs fan [emoji849]

I am absolutely a Hibs fan. I've defended players on here against similar circle jerks. I manage to respect the opinions of others and not just say they aren't Hibs fans when I disagree. Dreadful patter. Its hilarious to say I'm not a Hibs fan because I'd like us to be better than last season.

If you wish to blindly follow an owner without question, go for it. Ironically, a very yam thing to do.

Bostonhibby
20-06-2022, 07:37 PM
I am absolutely a Hibs fan. I've defended players on here against similar circle jerks. I manage to respect the opinions of others and not just say they aren't Hibs fans when I disagree. Dreadful patter. Its hilarious to say I'm not a Hibs fan because I'd like us to be better than last season.

If you wish to blindly follow an owner without question, go for it. Ironically, a very yam thing to do.I'm hoping you will see I was 100% backing you here

Lendo
20-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Amazing how many mentions Rangers and Celtic can get in an article which has absolutely nothing to do with Rangers and Celtic.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2022, 07:48 PM
I'm hoping you will see I was 100% backing you here

Apologies, you are right my friend :greengrin

Bostonhibby
20-06-2022, 07:50 PM
Apologies, you are right my friend :greengrin[emoji106]

May21/05/16
20-06-2022, 07:50 PM

I'm not a positive or negative Hibs fan. I go with what I think is correct. Sad how you cannot respond to my argument so you reply with this utter pish.You need to calm down

H18 SFR
20-06-2022, 07:57 PM

I'm not a positive or negative Hibs fan. I go with what I think is correct. Sad how you cannot respond to my argument so you reply with this utter pish.

Every single thread seems to be dominated by this kind of argument. It’s becoming really exhausting. To the point where I’m beginning to think this site isn’t worth engaging with. So negative and draining.

Hiber-nation
20-06-2022, 08:00 PM
Every single thread seems to be dominated by this kind of argument. It’s becoming really exhausting. To the point where I’m beginning to think this site isn’t worth engaging with. So negative and draining.

Yep, started by the OP's comment "this won't please some on here". No need.

Libby Hibby
20-06-2022, 08:07 PM

He has a point to be fair

Pretty Boy
20-06-2022, 08:14 PM
He has a point to be fair

I've made this point countless times over the last few years and I still stand by it.

You can't bemoan a lack of positive comment on this site, or any site for that matter, then when a positive story comes along half the front page is dominated by posters essentially challenging people to find a negative in it. How is that conductive to producing a thread that is either positive or full of reasoned debate? Should the people being called out not have the right of reply?

The only way the dynamic of the site can be changed is by positive posters putting forward a positive case. Settling scores from other threads on this one before a single negative comment has been posted just creates these cyclical arguments where the same old points get trotted out again and again.

If people want to do that then fine but you can't complain when the cavalry from the 'other side' come steaming in.

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2022, 08:15 PM

:top marks

It set the tone. lining things up for an argument.

Could easily have just posted the link.

Scotty Leither
20-06-2022, 08:26 PM
There is a difference between being a well run club and being a successful one. I'm sure there are a few clubs in the lower reaches of the SPFL who are well run, but who hold no pretensions of ever being a top league club or seriously challenging for any of the cups. That's not us and simply being well run isn't enough, desirable absolutely but not enough, because as Hearts will show next season there's a pile of cash to be made in the new landscape of European football and a failure to tap into that by, for example, finishing 8th in a 12 team league means you are in effect failing in your core business.

If you get managers wrong, if you get the signing policy wrong, then you fail on the pitch. It doesn't matter how many small sponsorship deals you sign, it doesn't matter how attractive the hospitality areas are and it doesn't matter how well you budget the cash the club has from these areas. The real money is in being successful on the park.

More success on the park = more fans paying through the gate. More success on the park = more prize money. More success on the park = more TV money. Income from these 3 things dwarf all other income streams, with the exception of income from transfers, but even then success on the park also makes your players worth more in the transfer market.

This is possibly why a lot of folk are getting a bit squeaky ersed about the number of kids we are signing with as yet no sign of the experience we need to improve the team immediately, with the very real prospect that before we make any signings like that we might have two of our best regulars from last season to replace in Porteous and Doig, making getting tried and tested first team ready players in even more of an imperative, but also meaning we will need more of them if those two do go.

Apparently we have sold just shy of 10,500 season tickets, that's pretty bloody good considering how negative things have been for 6 months. But we simply can't afford another season like the last one or that will drop big time, that means getting it right on the pitch next season.

You'll be getting told that's too simplistic an argument as our resident wannabee accountants and financial gurus on here will tell you.

It's a cogent set of points that was frequently put to Petrie and his toadies over the years, and was similarly dismissed by them even in the face of two relegations and a play-off game where we survived by the skin of our teeth.

It didn't seem to dawn on the Board at that time there was a direct link between recycling p1ss poor players and signing no-marks that led us into these relegations, they appeared to accept that as collateral damage for the prissy, zero-risk approach to running the club.

Infrastructure v buying better players was only ever going to have one outcome with the previous regime, and that culture still pervades the club now, IMO.

I couldn't give a stuff about metrics/balance sheets/incremental growth; I want to see Hibernian FC punch its weight for 5/6/7 seasons consistently and maybe just once in my lifetime see us challenge for the League.

Libby Hibby
20-06-2022, 08:38 PM
I've made this point countless times over the last few years and I still stand by it.

You can't bemoan a lack of positive comment on this site, or any site for that matter, then when a positive story comes along half the front page is dominated by posters essentially challenging people to find a negative in it. How is that conductive to producing a thread that is either positive or full of reasoned debate? Should the people being called out not have the right of reply?

The only way the dynamic of the site can be changed is by positive posters putting forward a positive case. Settling scores from other threads on this one before a single negative comment has been posted just creates these cyclical arguments where the same old points get trotted out again and again.

If people want to do that then fine but you can't complain when the cavalry from the 'other side' come steaming in.

You have made a fair point to be fair PB however I’m unsure if this thread would’ve turned out any different if the OP had not said what he said.

If we want positivity on this forum, we really should consider chucking out the continual, trouble making, anti-hibs posters that we know exist amongst us and turn threads into an shambles almost daily. I am all for a little debate and fun and I get not everyone shares the same views as me but the persistent negative posts from some is really tiring, draining and probably boring some decent Hibs fans away from posting and sharing their views.

I’m sure someone will be along to tell me to ‘ignore’ the negative posters but by the same token why should we be subjected to such obvious mischief making by a few.

SaulGoodman
20-06-2022, 08:41 PM

It’s not. Every thread is dominated by the same people arguing and looking for reactions.

Iain G
20-06-2022, 10:04 PM
Considering the hellish time it was for football clubs in this country in 2021, to get an accolade like this is great for Hibs and I think shows that Ron knows how to run a business well. He is open and honest enough to have admitted to some mistakes along the way but he seems to be learning. LJ so far seems to be an impressive and interesting appointment and we are doing business earlier in the window trying to upgrade and overhaul the squad.

Feeling strangely hopeful for the season ahead and hope it all comes together on and off the pitch.

Mrimbetween
20-06-2022, 10:28 PM
Considering the hellish time it was for football clubs in this country in 2021, to get an accolade like this is great for Hibs and I think shows that Ron knows how to run a business well. He is open and honest enough to have admitted to some mistakes along the way but he seems to be learning. LJ so far seems to be an impressive and interesting appointment and we are doing business earlier in the window trying to upgrade and overhaul the squad.

Feeling strangely hopeful for the season ahead and hope it all comes together on and off the pitch.

Correct

FitbaFolkKen
20-06-2022, 10:42 PM

I don’t understand why some can’t separate a success like this from other issues. It gives us the platform to build the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicho87
21-06-2022, 05:22 AM
In that case all is forgiven

Since90+2
21-06-2022, 07:21 AM
I don’t understand why some can’t separate a success like this from other issues. It gives us the platform to build the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That platform has been getting built for decades now. We've always been well run, financially prudent and safe, infrastructure is cracking, own training ground ect. That hasn't stopped us being largely pish and underachieving for the last 2 decades though.

I just want us to perform well on the pitch, the other things are largely irrelevant to me.

SlickShoes
21-06-2022, 08:00 AM
That platform has been getting built for decades now. We've always been well run, financially prudent and safe, infrastructure is cracking, own training ground ect. That hasn't stopped us being largely pish and underachieving for the last 2 decades though.

I just want us to perform well on the pitch, the other things are largely irrelevant to me.

We've not always been well run though, you've just made that up so you can moan about the current situation

I'm Spartacus
21-06-2022, 08:02 AM
Great news, ultimately long term that's what we want.

But 3rd place, winning a cup, and being 200th place is what I would prefer.

I don't see us having an open top bus parade with our accounts, business plan and strategy being held above the players heads.

Northernhibee
21-06-2022, 08:09 AM
Good news - absolutely has to translate to the pitch sooner rather than later though. Otherwise we’re back to the Petrie days of our accounts sheet being celebrated more than the team.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 08:18 AM
Good news - absolutely has to translate to the pitch sooner rather than later though. Otherwise we’re back to the Petrie days of our accounts sheet being celebrated more than the team.

The thing that’s being overlooked by some already on this thread is that this study covers 2021, a year in which it absolutely did translate onto success on the pitch. A cup final, third place, Europe, and a semi-final. We were a match (cup final) away from one of the best seasons in most of our lifetime’s.

And it’s easily forgotten that this owner took a huge amount of flack in the media for making decisions to furlough staff or make redundancies and then spending relatively big money on the first team squad. Tom English (I know) absolutely lambasted Hibs for it.

Last season was a massive failure and all through the club people need to review their part in that shambles, from the owner down, and I would be amazed to see us sitting high in that research for 2022, where ironically being less financially prudent (I think) will have done us no favours at all.

Northernhibee
21-06-2022, 08:30 AM
The thing that’s being overlooked by some already on this thread is that this study covers 2021, a year in which it absolutely did translate onto success on the pitch. A cup final, third place, Europe, and a semi-final. We were a match (cup final) away from one of the best seasons in most of our lifetime’s.

And it’s easily forgotten that this owner took a huge amount of flack in the media for making decisions to furlough staff or make redundancies and then spending relatively big money on the first team squad. Tom English (I know) absolutely lambasted Hibs for it.

Last season was a massive failure and all through the club people need to review their part in that shambles, from the owner down, and I would be amazed to see us sitting high in that research for 2022, where ironically being less financially prudent (I think) will have done us no favours at all.

I think it’s really tough for success not to have an asterisk next to it - considering the opposition we had in the cups we should absolutely have achieved more without a shadow of a doubt. We had a very capable squad and failed to turn it into the sort of success that goes down into the record books - cup wins.

On paper it’s a good season, I can’t help but look back on that season with some regret.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 08:42 AM
I think it’s really tough for success not to have an asterisk next to it - considering the opposition we had in the cups we should absolutely have achieved more without a shadow of a doubt. We had a very capable squad and failed to turn it into the sort of success that goes down into the record books - cup wins.

On paper it’s a good season, I can’t help but look back on that season with some regret.

I get what you’re saying but i don’t necessarily agree. If we’d gone out in the quarter finals of the cups but finished comfortably third and secured Europe, we’d all have said that was a successful season.

Of course we should have done better in the final, but Rangers got knocked out the cup at home to St Johnstone, they won the league and didn’t even reach the final of the Scottish Cup. Do you think their fans put an asterisk against the season being successful because it could have been better?

Hearts just finished third and lost the cup final without laying a glove on Rangers - they lost to better opposition than we did but the circumstances going into that final gave them a great shout.

Are their fans putting an asterisk against last season? Doesn’t look like it, they’re getting right behind the team and selling rakes of season tickets.

Third place, a cup final, and another semi final will be very hard to repeat, imho - it might be a decade before we see another ‘failure’ like that.

Greenbeard
21-06-2022, 08:44 AM

That's because he's a businessman looking after the business. Yes, part of that is appointing and overseeing the right football-knowledgeable staff to get a winning team on the pitch and I'm accepting of the fact that the jury is still out on that aspect of his ownership.

Greenbeard
21-06-2022, 08:55 AM
A whole new bright future here on Hibs.net.
Bye bye negative nellies.
Not so fast with your bye-bye. There's lies, damn lies and statistics. :wink:

FWIW I can see both sides of the argument here.
1. Firstly, you need a sound business foundation on which to build the club and improve the team. However, have we not had that for c.20 years?
2. It's only what happens on the pitch that matters. However, would you be happy with a top three team but crap stadium/pitch, crap rented training facilities, crap development set-up, crap pies, etc. Surely that's short-sighted.

A balance needs to be struck and just at the moment, the see-saw seems to have swung the business side. It will swing back I'm sure.

Northernhibee
21-06-2022, 08:57 AM
I get what you’re saying but i don’t necessarily agree. If we’d gone out in the quarter finals of the cups but finished comfortably third and secured Europe, we’d all have said that was a successful season.

Of course we should have done better in the final, but Rangers got knocked out the cup at home to St Johnstone, they won the league and didn’t even reach the final of the Scottish Cup. Do you think their fans put an asterisk against the season being successful because it could have been better?

Hearts just finished third and lost the cup final without laying a glove on Rangers - they lost to better opposition than we did but the circumstances going into that final gave them a great shout.

Are their fans putting an asterisk against last season? Doesn’t look like it, they’re getting right behind the team and selling rakes of season tickets.

Third place, a cup final, and another semi final will be very hard to repeat, imho - it might be a decade before we see another ‘failure’ like that.

The problem is that for a club like Hibs, success will always be defined by taking the opportunities that come our way when they do come - our maroon neighbours did that last season and although they largely achieved similar to what we did in the season you’ve mentioned, they came up against Rangers in the final and put in largely the same insipid performance we did against St Johnstone. Barring a major, major upset third place and European group stage football was the best they were going to get and they did just that.

We’re not big enough that success is simply expected like with Rangers and Celtic but also too big to be able to write off the chance of winning a cup when we’re facing a non Old Firm team in the final or semi final with a similar tie in the next round.

That doesn’t happen often for us so when it does and we don’t take it, I genuinely don’t think it can be an overall success.

CL0762
21-06-2022, 08:58 AM
It’s not. Every thread is dominated by the same people arguing and looking for reactions.

No it isn’t.

[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
21-06-2022, 08:58 AM
But but but if I or my pals were running Hibs we'd be 1st!!! IT'S NOT FAIRRRRRRRRR

Greenbeard
21-06-2022, 09:03 AM
I'll canvas opinion on the need for a marquee signing.
And I'll get the puns out the way first.
Someone like Russell La Tepee? Or Tent Alexander-Arnold?

franck sauzee
21-06-2022, 09:20 AM
You have made a fair point to be fair PB however I’m unsure if this thread would’ve turned out any different if the OP had not said what he said.

If we want positivity on this forum, we really should consider chucking out the continual, trouble making, anti-hibs posters that we know exist amongst us and turn threads into an shambles almost daily. I am all for a little debate and fun and I get not everyone shares the same views as me but the persistent negative posts from some is really tiring, draining and probably boring some decent Hibs fans away from posting and sharing their views.

I’m sure someone will be along to tell me to ‘ignore’ the negative posters but by the same token why should we be subjected to such obvious mischief making by a few.

Completely agree. It's the same ones that derail just about every thread and they're clearly sad Jambo trolls

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 09:20 AM
But but but if I or my pals were running Hibs we'd be 1st!!! IT'S NOT FAIRRRRRRRRR

This is just a daft thing to say. No one here has claimed they could do a better job than Ron has.

Someone will really need to explain to me why it is so wrong to question our owner and the decisions he has made on the football front so far. You cannot blindly follow this guy, its extremely naive to assume because he made money for himself in totally different fields, he will do well in this one. If he doesn't know football, he needs to appoint proven people who do and can get results. So far, he has failed to do this.

Stuart93
21-06-2022, 09:21 AM
Really good things being done off the park. Hopefully that then trickles through to on the park as well, which is where it matters most for the majority

Bostonhibby
I'll canvas opinion on the need for a marquee signing.
And I'll get the puns out the way first.
Someone like Russell La Tepee? Or Tent Alexander-Arnold?Or some other guy will do as long as he keeps it tight at the back and remains firmly grounded, last thing we want is another ropey bell end.

CapitalGreen
This is just a daft thing to say. No one here has claimed they could do a better job than Ron has.

Someone will really need to explain to me why it is so wrong to question our owner and the decisions he has made on the football front so far. You cannot blindly follow this guy, its extremely naive to assume because he made money for himself in totally different fields, he will do well in this one. If he doesn't know football, he needs to appoint proven people who do and can get results. So far, he has failed to do this.

Straw man. Nobody has said it’s wrong to question the owner and the decisions he has made.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 09:22 AM
Completely agree. It's the same ones that derail just about every thread and they're clearly sad Jambo trolls

There are no ''sad jambo trolls'' on this thread. Just different opinions. Try engaging in the conversation and debate rather than just insulting anyone who disagree with. Thats the biggest problem with Hibs.net.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 09:23 AM
Straw man. Nobody has said it’s wrong to question the owner and the decisions he has made.

They definitely have. I've been called a jambo by multiple posters on here just for doing so.

Chip shop Joe
21-06-2022, 09:35 AM
There are no ''sad jambo trolls'' on this thread. Just different opinions. Try engaging in the conversation and debate rather than just insulting anyone who disagree with. Thats the biggest problem with Hibs.net.

The “biggest problem with Hibs.net” is the constant negativity from the same people “looking to engage in debate”.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 09:37 AM

Have you considered asking the person or people who have said it’s wrong to question our owner?

Has anyone actually said that?

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 09:38 AM
The “biggest problem with Hibs.net” is the constant negativity from the same people “looking to engage in debate”.

Fair enough. Certainly not myself, as I am not constantly negative on here. In fact, I've been called a deluded happy clapper many times as well.

Really though, negativity isn't against the forum rules. Pathetic personal jibes certainly are.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 09:39 AM
Have you considered asking the person or people who have said it’s wrong to question our owner?

Has anyone actually said that?

Again, I've been called a jambo multiple times in this thread for doing so?

matty_f
21-06-2022, 09:42 AM
Really good things being done off the park. Hopefully that then trickles through to on the park as well, which is where it matters most for the majority

I would say that’s where it matters most for everyone - certainly the fans are more interested in seeing a winning team on the park than what’s in the accounts. I’d be amazed if there is anyone out there who would, at the end of a season, prefer a balanced set of accounts over a trophy or a high league finish. These people don’t exist.

Even the actual money people at club rely on a successful team to hit their targets, everything at the club hinges on the team doing well and that’s why there’s such a focus on trying to get a sustainable plan to achieve on-field success (and that includes having a successful commercial department to fund it).

There are plenty of us here who have lived through very dark financial times at the club and seen us almost go out of business, it’s natural that we want to see well run club across all aspects, but nobody supports a football club for its balance sheet, the very idea of that is ludicrous.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 09:45 AM

For questioning the owner?

I’ve seen folk getting called acolytes for saying that the report was a positive, doesn’t mean they’re not allowed to say it.

OldEast
21-06-2022, 09:57 AM

Then don't engage in debate. It's people's constant moaning about those they see as negative that causes all the problems.
If somebody posted "Hibs are *****" on every single thread and nobody responded there wouldn't be a problem would there?

Chip shop Joe
21-06-2022, 10:08 AM
Then don't engage in debate. It's people's constant moaning about those they see as negative that causes all the problems.
If somebody posted "Hibs are *****" on every single thread and nobody responded there wouldn't be a problem would there?

To be honest I am not entirely sure your argument makes any sense whatsoever!
A lot of people are moaning about a few posters who may or may not be the same person. Their constant negativity is creating a toxic atmosphere either deliberately or otherwise.
The problems are caused by the (very) few not by the many.

If someone was on a Hibs forum and posted on every thread that “Hibs are *****” I would have to disagree and say that there would be a problem.

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2022, 10:15 AM
You'll be getting told that's too simplistic an argument as our resident wannabee accountants and financial gurus on here will tell you.

It's a cogent set of points that was frequently put to Petrie and his toadies over the years, and was similarly dismissed by them even in the face of two relegations and a play-off game where we survived by the skin of our teeth.

It didn't seem to dawn on the Board at that time there was a direct link between recycling p1ss poor players and signing no-marks that led us into these relegations, they appeared to accept that as collateral damage for the prissy, zero-risk approach to running the club.

Infrastructure v buying better players was only ever going to have one outcome with the previous regime, and that culture still pervades the club now, IMO.

I couldn't give a stuff about metrics/balance sheets/incremental growth; I want to see Hibernian FC punch its weight for 5/6/7 seasons consistently and maybe just once in my lifetime see us challenge for the League.

As it happens I have no problem with Hibs investing in infrastructure, for me it's not an either / or situation. Take the east stand as an example, Hibs pretty well had to do it when they did, planning permission was soon to run out and with new flats behind the stand there was no guarantee we would have been able to build to the same height as we did if we had to reapply, especially given our past dealings with the council, also steel was cheap as chips at the time.

My only real concern was stuff like not recognising that spending a few extra bob on a player might lead to avoiding losing far more later on down the line. I for one don't think the current owner has or is sacrificing the team to concentrate on infrastructure projects, we have actually spent a fair few bob on the team recently, whether that money has been or will be spent wisely still remains to be seen.

OldEast
21-06-2022, 10:18 AM
To be honest I am not entirely sure your argument makes any sense whatsoever!
A lot of people are moaning about a few posters who may or may not be the same person. Their constant negativity is creating a toxic atmosphere either deliberately or otherwise.
The problems are caused by the (very) few not by the many.

If someone was on a Hibs forum and posted on every thread that “Hibs are *****” I would have to disagree and say that there would be a problem.

My point was if you ignore posts from the very few people you find negative then threads won't descend into name calling and wanting people banned. Don't you see it's the response that's causing the problem not the initial post. It's so easy to ignore but pretty draining when loads of folk get triggered.

Since452
21-06-2022, 10:30 AM
I think it's good positive news, in fact i think it's excellent news, and should give people more confidence that the owner knows what he's doing. I think one debatable sacking and one very poor appointment has caused a lot of critisism (rightly so) and had the doubts creeping in. On the whole we have definitely made progress off the park under Ron and up until this time last year progress on the park.

Stuart93
21-06-2022, 10:32 AM
I would say that’s where it matters most for everyone - certainly the fans are more interested in seeing a winning team on the park than what’s in the accounts. I’d be amazed if there is anyone out there who would, at the end of a season, prefer a balanced set of accounts over a trophy or a high league finish. These people don’t exist.

Even the actual money people at club rely on a successful team to hit their targets, everything at the club hinges on the team doing well and that’s why there’s such a focus on trying to get a sustainable plan to achieve on-field success (and that includes having a successful commercial department to fund it).

There are plenty of us here who have lived through very dark financial times at the club and seen us almost go out of business, it’s natural that we want to see well run club across all aspects, but nobody supports a football club for its balance sheet, the very idea of that is ludicrous.

I agree. You’d imagine if you’re getting things right off the park it’s only a matter of time before you start getting them right on the park.

9 times out of 10 if we get it right on the park and we have a good season/win a trophy it makes selling stuff to the fans off the park a lot easier. Takes a lot less encouragement for people to get on board.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 10:33 AM
As it happens I have no problem with Hibs investing in infrastructure, for me it's not an either / or situation. Take the east stand as an example, Hibs pretty well had to do it when they did, planning permission was soon to run out and with new flats behind the stand there was no guarantee we would have been able to build to the same height as we did if we had to reapply, especially given our past dealings with the council, also steel was cheap as chips at the time.

My only real concern was stuff like not recognising that spending a few extra bob on a player might lead to avoiding losing far more later on down the line. I for one don't think the current owner has or is sacrificing the team to concentrate on infrastructure projects, we have actually spent a fair few bob on the team recently, whether that money has been or will be spent wisely still remains to be seen.

:agree:

Chip shop Joe
21-06-2022, 10:39 AM
My point was if you ignore posts from the very few people you find negative then threads won't descend into name calling and wanting people banned. Don't you see it's the response that's causing the problem not the initial post. It's so easy to ignore but pretty draining when loads of folk get triggered.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Everyone posts a negative point of view now and again but not constantly.

The root cause of the threads going off track is the continuous trolling/disagreeing with the vast majority of other posters, all of the time. If he/she was not doing it to (in my view) deliberately annoy people then it simply would not happen.

For the first time recently I have used the ignore button but the fact so many people are now doing this again suggests the problem is the few not the many.

OldEast
21-06-2022, 11:24 AM
I think we will have to agree to disagree. Everyone posts a negative point of view now and again but not constantly.

The root cause of the threads going off track is the continuous trolling/disagreeing with the vast majority of other posters, all of the time. If he/she was not doing it to (in my view) deliberately annoy people then it simply would not happen.

For the first time recently I have used the ignore button but the fact so many people are now doing this again suggests the problem is the few not the many.

OK, thanks for the discussion. There are certainly plenty strong views on the subject. I won't be calling you a jambo or asking for you to be banned, hope you'll be the same 😂😂😂😂 👍🏻

Chip shop Joe
21-06-2022, 11:29 AM
OK, thanks for the discussion. There are certainly plenty strong views on the subject. I won't be calling you a jambo or asking for you to be banned, hope you'll be the same 😂😂😂😂 👍🏻

:greengrin:cheers:

evy
21-06-2022, 11:33 AM

As an actual trainee accountant...it's too simplistic an argument. If fans ran clubs they'd be bust in 2 seasons with no guarantee of success.

To quote a classic film 'If you build it, they will come'.

Ron has had a clear plan from the outset imo, building the commercial revenue (which we've been miles behind for years) in order to compete with the rest. Yes, he has got things wrong and is paying the price for that atm, but I'm confident that over the mid to long term things will come good.

I'm Spartacus
21-06-2022, 11:39 AM
For the Ron fans:

What has been his best decision so far?

For the Ron haters:

What has been his worst decision so far?

I wouldn't mind seeing how each side views the best and worst moments.

Hibernia&Alba
21-06-2022, 11:45 AM
Only sixth? Sack the board, sell all the players and demolish the stadium. :greengrin

easty
21-06-2022, 11:50 AM
For the Ron fans:

For the Ron haters:

Best - not sticking with Maloney.

Worst - either hiring Maloney in the first place, or not doing enough to get a replacement in for Boyle.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 11:53 AM
For the Ron fans:

For the Ron haters:

I am not sure anyone here is either a Ron fan or a Ron hater. Most people would acknowledge that he’s got some stuff very right (commercial side most notably and getting the club through covid in decent shape financially, overseeing us getting into europe and finishing third) and some stuff wrong (arguably sacking Ross too soon, hiring and then firing Maloney, recruitment).

Since90+2
21-06-2022, 11:55 AM
I am not sure anyone here is either a Ron fan or a Ron hater. Most people would acknowledge that he’s got some stuff very right (commercial side most notably and getting the club through covid in decent shape financially, overseeing us getting into europe and finishing third) and some stuff wrong (arguably sacking Ross too soon, hiring and then firing Maloney, recruitment).

I think that points to him clearly being an astute businessman but perhaps not someone who understands the ins and outs of running a football club. That is where a strong CEO should come in.

Diclonius
21-06-2022, 11:56 AM

There is a fairly large group of people, on here and elsewhere, who under a number of different monikers (we all know which ones) repeatedly and systematically slated every decision made by Farmer/Petrie/Dempster. Gordon didn't get any respite, the minute he took over they constantly criticised him too.

They'll never be happy until they're running the club, and that is their end goal.

SaulGoodman
21-06-2022, 11:58 AM
For the Ron fans:

For the Ron haters:

Sacking Maloney

Hiring Maloney

Brooster
21-06-2022, 12:10 PM

TBF it's easy to see why folk would think you're a jambo troll.

Scotty Leither
21-06-2022, 12:18 PM
As an actual trainee accountant...it's too simplistic an argument. If fans ran clubs they'd be bust in 2 seasons with no guarantee of success.

To quote a classic film 'If you build it, they will come'.

Ron has had a clear plan from the outset imo, building the commercial revenue (which we've been miles behind for years) in order to compete with the rest. Yes, he has got things wrong and is paying the price for that atm, but I'm confident that over the mid to long term things will come good.

I’ve worked for two companies, one SME, and a branch office of a multinational that were systematically ruined by Chartered Accountants and their slavish devotion to the bottom line.

It’s why I never took to Petrie as his parsimonious ways lowered the expectations of the club and the support to that of acceptance of mid-table (and worse) mediocrity.

If Gordon can match the off-field investment with investment in the team, I’ll eat humble pie and admit his approach was the right way all along.

I’m just not convinced that Gordon doesn’t share the mindset of his predecessor and his ultra cautious approach to team matters/signing of established players that would really kick the club on. Time will tell, I suppose.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2022, 12:18 PM
TBF it's easy to see why folk would think you're a jambo troll.Its really not. Perhaps if they are genuine morons and only read this one thread then maybe because I've had the audacity to suggest our owner is failing on the football front, but not if they read my other posts.

Consistently defend players on here from dogs abuse - Hanlon, Stevenson, Newell, Paul Mcginn, Doidge etc.
Defend the club from the nonsense criticism it gets both from our own fans and the media
I really dislike Hearts
I go to watch Hibs every week and have had a season ticket for 18 years now, since I was 8 years old.

Please, I'm begging you, tell me how I'm a jambo troll?

For the Ron fans:

For the Ron haters:

Best decision is he has obviously done a very good job on the commercial side. We have more money coming in that way than before. Nothing close to the money we'd have got from being in the conference league group stages, though.

Worst decision - Hiring his son and hiring Maloney. Sacking Ross up there too. 3 dreadful decisions.

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2022, 12:29 PM
It’s not bad news that the club is being run well.

evy
21-06-2022, 12:39 PM
I’ve worked for two companies, one SME, and a branch office of a multinational that were systematically ruined by Chartered Accountants and their slavish devotion to the bottom line.

It’s why I never took to Petrie as his parsimonious ways lowered the expectations of the club and the support to that of acceptance of mid-table (and worse) mediocrity.

If Gordon can match the off-field investment with investment in the team, I’ll eat humble pie and admit his approach was the right way all along.

I’m just not convinced that Gordon doesn’t share the mindset of his predecessor and his ultra cautious approach to team matters/signing of established players that would really kick the club on. Time will tell, I suppose.

Good thing I'm not going down the CA route and training in Management Accounts :wink:

I don't think Ron will accept mid-table mediocrity going what he has said in the press and to fans. Whether he can achieve his goals remains to be seen, of course. We are still a relatively short-way along the journey of his ownership.

matty_f
21-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Good thing I'm not going down the CA route and training in Management Accounts :wink:

I don't think Ron will accept mid-table mediocrity going what he has said in the press and to fans. Whether he can achieve his goals remains to be seen, of course. We are still a relatively short-way along the journey of his ownership.

I think it’s evident in the sacking of two managers that he won’t accept underperformance on the pitch. Someone posted on another thread the amount Hibs has spent on player acquisition and it was high for us, if we’re found wanting on the pitch, i don’t think it’ll be down to the amount of money spent.

A Hi-Bee
21-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Very good to hear that our club is being well run, if you want to build anything you start with a good base, onwards and upwards wi Ron.
:thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2022, 10:01 PM
For the Ron fans:

For the Ron haters:

Buying Hibs

Buying Hibs

lyonhibs
23-06-2022, 11:10 AM

Quite.

The reality is that, by definition, the vast majority of teams do not win a bean the vast majority of seasons. Trophies are not doled out like sweeties.

Now, accepting that cruel reality for what it is, I'd sooner be the 6th best run club than the 60th

We should still strive for good on-field performancs, of course, but especially through/after COVID being a well run business operation has its own merits.

matty_f
23-06-2022, 11:22 AM
Quite.

The reality is that, by definition, the vast majority of teams do not win a bean the vast majority of seasons. Trophies are not doled out like sweeties.

Now, accepting that cruel reality for what it is, I'd sooner be the 6th best run club than the 60th

We should still strive for good on-field performancs, of course, but especially through/after COVID being a well run business operation has its own merits.
:agree: you certainly wouldn't criticise a club for being well run. Or at least you wouldn't think you would...