PDA

View Full Version : Who Wrote This?

Dan Sarf
17-06-2022, 01:15 PM
From the Official Site:

They games schedule came out on Friday 17 June, which determined that the Hibees would kick off their campaign away at St Johnstone.

:confused:

Stuart93
17-06-2022, 01:39 PM
From the Official Site:

They games schedule came out on Friday 17 June, which determined that the Hibees would kick off their campaign away at St Johnstone.

Have you got a link to it? I can’t find that article

Mcbizz1998
17-06-2022, 01:52 PM
From the Official Site:

What we pointing out here? That someone said “they” instead of “the”? Just a typo nah?

OldEast
17-06-2022, 01:55 PM
Tell me I'm missing something here! Surely nobody is complaining about a typo?

greenpaper55
17-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Tell me I'm missing something here! Surely nobody is complaining about a typo?

I will soy this inly wins , i think the script writer from Allo Allo has been employed here

Willis1875
17-06-2022, 02:05 PM
Surely not the typo 🙈
This place is unreal

OldEast
17-06-2022, 02:14 PM
I will soy this inly wins , i think the script writer from Allo Allo has been employed here

😂😂😂😂 must have read that a dozen times before I got it?

SChibs
17-06-2022, 02:19 PM
We're really scrapping the barrel for things to moan about now

Scottie
17-06-2022, 02:24 PM
:agree: This place is sometimes a hoot to be on & good fun but lately its all becoming a little too precious. Can't wait till the season starts again so we all have something serious to moan about.

OldEast
17-06-2022, 02:30 PM

👀👏🏻

Diclonius
17-06-2022, 02:47 PM
Hibernian was remixed at St Johnstone on the first day. Lee Johnson's son is hoping for a successful match against midfielder Drey Wright and Perth, who signed midfielder Drey Wright at Hibis two years later.

Scotty Leither
17-06-2022, 03:05 PM
It's maybe the gagdie who used to write match summaries in strangled American English is back writing about "those soccer Hibernians who are due to face off against the Sainted Perthshire tractor dudes on league day one".

sleeping giant
17-06-2022, 03:08 PM
Great thread 😳

Dan Sarf
17-06-2022, 08:16 PM
From the Official Site:

Not bothered about the typo obviously.

I just despair at the clumsy use of words.

Apologies if you don't care.

jacomo
17-06-2022, 09:23 PM

Oi! That barrel has got plenty of life in it yet.

tamig
17-06-2022, 09:41 PM
It's maybe the gagdie who used to write match summaries in strangled American English is back writing about "those soccer Hibernians who are due to face off against the Sainted Perthshire tractor dudes on league day one".

We’re the Hibernators. 😀

Just Alf
17-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Apologies if you don't care.Eh?...it looks OK to me .... maybe things have changed since I was at school (a loooong time ago to be fair! :greengrin )

OldEast
18-06-2022, 01:14 AM
Eh?...it looks OK to me .... maybe things have changed since I was at school (a loooong time ago to be fair! :greengrin )

And me 😏 Just a weird thread.

Crunchie
18-06-2022, 06:14 AM

You see it in the EEN practically every day, a sign of the times unfortunately.

Hiber-nation
18-06-2022, 06:53 AM

You are not alone, does my head in as well.

heretoday
18-06-2022, 06:57 AM
I don't care.

Dan Sarf
18-06-2022, 10:10 AM
I don't care.

That website represents Hibs and I think this makes us look sloppy and poorly educated.

Surely you care about that?

A Hi-Bee
18-06-2022, 10:26 AM

I don't care, and my dyslexia tells me not to give a ****!

Hibbyradge
18-06-2022, 11:34 AM

It is clumsy grammar, but I'm not sure I'd have felt so bothered by it that I'd have started a thread.

However, to calm your anxt and restore some peace to your life, I have corrected the typo and rearranged the sentence as follows;

"The game schedule, which determined that the Hibees would kick off their campaign away at St Johnstone, was published on Friday 17 June."

(I have read and re-read that sentence to make sure it really is correct. However, I'm fairly confident that someone will spot an error, so bring on the inevitable humiliation! :greengrin)

Edit: While I think my alternative sentence is grammatically correct, the focus has been changed and subject is now the schedule, not the away fixture.

Dan Sarf
18-06-2022, 11:43 AM
It is clumsy grammar, but I'm not sure I'd have felt so bothered by it that I'd have started a thread.

However, to calm your anxt and restore some peace to your life, I have corrected the typo and rearranged the sentence as follows;

"The game schedule, which determined that the Hibees would kick off their campaign away at St Johnstone, was published on Friday 17 June."

(I have read and re-read that sentence to make sure it really is correct. However, I'm fairly confident that someone will spot an error, so bring on the inevitable humiliation! :greengrin)

Edit: While I think my alternative sentence is grammatically correct, the focus has been changed and subject is now the schedule, not the away fixture.

:top marks:greengrin

OldEast
18-06-2022, 12:11 PM

Nothing wrong with the original but good effort 👍🏻

Marked down for *angst*

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-06-2022, 12:13 PM
Nothing wrong with the original but good effort 👍🏻

Marked down for *angst*

I was going to mention that but, decided not to bother. 😀

OldEast
18-06-2022, 12:14 PM
I was going to mention that but, decided not to bother. 😀

Must keep up standards, on this thread anyway 😂😂😂

Hibbyradge
18-06-2022, 12:22 PM
I was just making sure you were paying attention. Honest.

Actually, I had originally written anxiety and "clumsily" just deleted iety to add the t. Too busy trying to make sure the other sentence was correct. :hilarious

The shame.

hibbydog
18-06-2022, 12:29 PM
The radge what wrote that should be given a pure skelpin

gbhibby
18-06-2022, 12:37 PM
I don't care so their.

Brooster
18-06-2022, 12:43 PM
Calling it a 'game schedule' is unforgivable.

McSwanky
18-06-2022, 01:50 PM
I for one am utterly outraged.

Or maybe I amn't.

FastEddieFelson
18-06-2022, 03:11 PM
It's pretty amateur

Hibernia&Alba
18-06-2022, 03:14 PM
From the Official Site:

So you've never turned up to work pished? What's happened to Scotland? :greengrin

Tommy75
19-06-2022, 04:27 PM
Cant' see any ishooz and I am really padantic when it comes to speling and grammer

Greenbeard
19-06-2022, 04:44 PM
:top marks:greengrin

:rolleyes:
Kick-off is hyphenated man, c'mon. 9.5/10.
Not a fan of the grammar polis on here but if it's your job to write and publish things, whether online or in print, you should at least have an English 'O' grade or whatever they call it these days. And also take a minute to proof-check your article for typos before hitting the publish button!

Is It On....
20-06-2022, 06:27 PM
From the Official Site:

I agree with you. Professionalism starts with getting the small things right and this is, in my opinion, poor.

Hiber-nation
20-06-2022, 08:02 PM
I agree with you. Professionalism starts with getting the small things right and this is, in my opinion, poor.

It's so true. I remember posting on here having a rant about the official site spelling "Hibernian" incorrectly in their main news banner heading and then I got slaughtered by half the main board!

Dan Sarf
03-09-2022, 08:59 AM
Alongside an opening day draw with Dundee United, this means Derek McInnes's side are currently sat in 9th place on four points.

Yes, I know it doesn't really matter but we should be doing better than this.

OldEast
03-09-2022, 09:03 AM
You're right. It doesn't matter.

Dan Sarf
03-09-2022, 09:59 AM
You're right. It doesn't matter.

At what point would you say it would matter? Spelling mistakes? Grammatical errors? Apostrophes like confetti?

OldEast
03-09-2022, 10:12 AM
As you brought it up and you were the one to say it doesn't matter then perhaps you should tell us why it irks you so much. What's the downside to some less than perfect grammar? Who amongst the readers will care enough to take any action which will be negative in any way to Hibs. I'd suggest none.

Bostonhibby
03-09-2022, 10:15 AM
Not getting too carried away by it all, but did find it a bit odd that the official match day preview email I got from the club described Kilmarnock as the hosts today.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 10:17 AM
At what point would you say it would matter? Spelling mistakes? Grammatical errors? Apostrophes like confetti?

It's such a simple thing to get right, but organisations that publish badly written material make themselves look amatuer at best.

That may not be everyone's view, but a high percentage of the population will notice these things and react negatively to them.

Of course there will be occasional mistakes or omissions, but when it's a regular occurrence, it reflects very badly on the author and their employer.

I do realise that I've now run the risk of having people search this post with a fine tooth comb looking for grammatical foxes paws.

Fill your boot's! :wink: :greengrin

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 10:21 AM
As you brought it up and you were the one to say it doesn't matter then perhaps you should tell us why it irks you so much. What's the downside to some less than perfect grammar? Who amongst the readers will care enough to take any action which will be negative in any way to Hibs. I'd suggest none.

I guess it's a question of whether you prefer Hibs to look intelligent and professional or uneducated and a bit Mickey Mouse.

Dan Sarf
03-09-2022, 10:21 AM

It's sloppy and reflects badly on Hibs. We should aim for excellence not "it'll do". Or do you disagree?

SlickShoes
03-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Incredible, you could probably go through almost any website and find a mistake, humans make them frequently.

Maybe we should just get AI to write everything.

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2022, 10:27 AM
Not getting too carried away by it all, but did find it a bit odd that the official match day preview email I got from the club described Kilmarnock as the hosts today.

Lee Johnson's side are back at home this weekend as we play host to Kilmarnock. Read the full match preview here - protected by Acronis | Dunedin IT!

:dunno:

OldEast
03-09-2022, 10:28 AM
It's sloppy and reflects badly on Hibs. We should aim for excellence not "it'll do". Or do you disagree?

If it isn't having a downside apart from annoying the pedants amongst us, then I'd say less than (what some) see as perfect grammar isn't currently a problem. If it deteriorates I'm sure it will be noticed internally or reported by an irate fan and the writer will be moved on.

OldEast
03-09-2022, 10:29 AM
Lee Johnson's side are back at home this weekend as we play host to Kilmarnock. Read the full match preview here - protected by Acronis | Dunedin IT!

:dunno:

😂😂😂😂

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2022, 10:30 AM
😂😂😂😂

it's early for me, wot hav ah mist

hibsbollah
03-09-2022, 10:31 AM
The Plain English Campaign is a thing I used to quite like. Leaving aside the car crash of ‘they games schedule’ :faf: there’s no real need to be saying ‘the schedule determined that the Hibees should face…’ with the schedule as the subject noun.

It’s just stylistically clumsy and unnecessary.

‘Today, Hibs will be playing (insert name of team)’ should do fine. All my kids have varying degrees of dyslexia and I’m aware of how annoying it is to wade through words you shouldn’t have to.

OldEast
03-09-2022, 10:33 AM
it's early for me, wot hav ah mist

I was just laughing because you pointed out it didn't say Killie were hosts 👍🏻

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2022, 10:37 AM
I was just laughing because you pointed out it didn't say Killie were hosts 👍🏻

ah right

still early in the morning for me :)

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 10:40 AM
The Plain English Campaign is a thing I used to quite like. Leaving aside the car crash of ‘they games schedule’ :faf: there’s no real need to be saying ‘the schedule determined that the Hibees should face…’ with the schedule as the subject noun.

It’s just stylistically clumsy and unnecessary.

‘Today, Hibs will be playing (insert name of team)’ should do fine. All my kids have varying degrees of dyslexia and I’m aware of how annoying it is to wade through words you shouldn’t have to.

Plain English is great, but it still needs to be correct.

For example, ending sentences with prepositions is fine. It's how we speak so it makes sense when written, but if they regularly get their, there or they're wrong, or misuse apostrophes, they should be publicly flogged.

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2022, 11:28 AM
It's such a simple thing to get right, but organisations that publish badly written material make themselves look amatuer at best.

That may not be everyone's view, but a high percentage of the population will notice these things and react negatively to them.

Of course there will be occasional mistakes or omissions, but when it's a regular occurrence, it reflects very badly on the author and their employer.

I do realise that I've now run the risk of having people search this post with a fine tooth comb looking for grammatical foxes paws.

Fill your boot's! :wink: :greengrin

Foxes' paws.

Also...I'm not so sure about the toothcomb.

As a fellow grammar-perfectionist, however, I salute your point.😄

Bostonhibby
03-09-2022, 11:43 AM

:dunno:What I gothttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220903/1ea3fa05a8c05bebcc73b410935a9fb2.jpg

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 11:43 AM
Foxes' paws.

Also...I'm not so sure about the toothcomb.

As a fellow grammar perfectionist, however, I salute your point.😄

Foxes' i agree.

Toothcomb is incorrect. Unless you comb your teeth? :agree:

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2022, 12:06 PM
Foxes' i agree.

Toothcomb is incorrect. Unless you comb your teeth? :agree:

Don't you?

Tramp.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2022, 12:08 PM
Don't you?

Tramp.

Fine teeth don't need combed.

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Fine teeth don't need combed.

😁

gbhibby
03-09-2022, 02:14 PM
Tis Fred s doin ma nut n.

hibsbollah
04-09-2022, 10:44 PM
Match report from the website. Guaranteed to annoy the grammatically pedantic.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/matches/hibernian-v-kilmarnock-1-1