PDA

View Full Version : Is there a bit of excitement creeping back in at Hibs?

Northernhibee
06-06-2022, 09:57 AM
Last season felt crushing and I don’t think I’ve felt as done with the club since the Calderwood era, maybe longer. I didn’t feel any enthusiasm when LJ’s name was brought up as a rumour for the job nor when it became clear that he was going to be the man in the hot seat.

And yet - here I am looking forward to the new season and how we do, who we sign, how we play. Enthused by the two assistants (and reminds me a bit of the Stubbs, Doolan and Taff combo, even though Doolan had SDG’s job).

I like the cut of LJ’s chat so far. I like the signing of Marshall and Kenneh. I’m glad we’re not renewing the loans from last season and have let a few leave.

Still lots that I want to see differently (I don’t trust Ian Gordon nor Ron fully) but the fog feels like it’s lifting over the club a bit.

How is everyone else feeling for the season ahead? What are your expectations? Has your opinion of LJ changed?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2022, 10:06 AM
I just want to see the talking being done on the pitch.

Since452
06-06-2022, 10:08 AM
Absolutely. Feels like the start of something good.

Greenio
06-06-2022, 10:10 AM
Down with such positivity! You'll ruin folks day!

Aye, I'm feeling good about things. New manager, new team, clean slate...what's not to like!

Pagan Hibernia
06-06-2022, 10:27 AM
I have little interest in any football at the moment.

in another month I’ll be buzzing. I always am pre-season. LJ has impressed me so far.

Edina Street
06-06-2022, 10:47 AM
My expectations for the season would have to be based upon average attendances, so based upon Hibernian's 14,972 for last season we should theoretically speaking be looking at a fourth placed finish, with no excuses for ending up in a dogfight with no disrespect to clubs such as Livingston and Ross County that have over three times less resources than Hibs with average attendances of only 3,699 and 3,978. I would expect the same gulf to exist between Hibernian and those smaller teams, that currently exists between the Old Firm and Hibs. Obviously my expectations and hopes are two different things however. I obviously hope that we can exceed expectations by finishing above Hearts and achieving best of the rest at a minimum. Obviously I do also accept that underachieving happens, but I see no excuses for underachieving by such a margin that we finish in the bottom six alongside clubs that have over three times less resources. My hopes are that our current management team can rectify this situation and build a team where our league standing reflects our stature as a club, and the early signs seem positive.

OldEast
06-06-2022, 10:51 AM
I'm optimistic for a good season most years. Had plenty major let downs but that's all quickly forgotten.

matty_f
06-06-2022, 10:52 AM
I’m buzzing for it, I thought I’d be very jaded - definitely felt like a slog when the season was ending but now, with a new management team in, some players moved on and the promise of new arrivals coming in, I can’t wait for the season to start again.

jacomo
06-06-2022, 10:52 AM

Best to play football on the pitch really.

hibsbollah
06-06-2022, 11:02 AM

They are two separate things. Good PR doesn’t mean less energy goes into getting the balance of the team right, it’s like the argument about the big screens as being somehow responsible for us being rubbish in the pitch. Folk can walk and whistle at the same time.

Sir David Gray
06-06-2022, 11:31 AM

Yeah I agree with that.

I'm looking forward to see who we bring in over the coming weeks as I don't believe our current squad is good enough to compete at the level we want to be at.

worcesterhibby
06-06-2022, 12:01 PM
They are two separate things. Good PR doesn’t mean less energy goes into getting the balance of the team right, it’s like the argument about the big screens as being somehow responsible for us being rubbish in the pitch. Folk can walk and whistle at the same time.

It will always be the same...If we win football matches then most people will be positive. If we win them in style, even more people will be positive. If we actually win a trophy, everyone will be positive for a while...until we start losing a few. Last season we lost too many. Some people will do nothing but give the club grief until that is remedied. There is a lot going right at the club at the moment, but not much of it has been on the pitch. Let's hope the new season is a new start.

Smartie
06-06-2022, 12:02 PM
I'd listened to LJ's interview and tbh I was really quite positive about where we were going. Mistakes were made (many of them) last seaosn but I applaud Ron Gordon for taking decisive action re Maloney when it was clear it wasn't working.

Funnily enough though, there's something uneasy that rests deep inside me. There was something about the chat in the "Scott Allan" thread that just reinforced the fact that I'm far from won over by this new regime so far and it doesn't take much at all for me to get back into cynic mode.

We could really do with getting some more early transfer business done to avert the chances of agitation levels rising to dangerous levels again before the competitive games begin in earnest.

We do seem to be getting some very good people into key positions now, which is great.

Diclonius
06-06-2022, 12:16 PM
Johnson is saying all the right things and on the face of it looks a positive guy with a calming presence.

Gives off Stubbs vibes. Hopefully that's reflected on the pitch.

WhileTheChief..
06-06-2022, 12:47 PM
I going to try and answer the OPs question honestly, please don’t shoot me down for it.

I wasn’t pleased when we appointed LJ and listening to him, nothing has changed my mind. I think we’ve made another huge mistake and will be back here next year.

Reading the thread on here and the transfer window thread, he gets universal support. There’s not a single negative post about him so nobody can say the fans aren’t behind him.

Unfortunately for me, I don’t see what you guys are seeing.

Not impressed with the back room staff and being linked to guys like McGeady and Stockton is just horrific.

I like RG but if he thinks BK and IG are the right people to be running our club I think he’s completely wrong.

All the usual caveats of hope I’m wrong, time will tell etc apply, but I’m expecting another season similar to last year.

Now, if you disagree with me that’s fine.

But please be civil and argue the points made instead of name calling. Or just ignore me, mutter something under your breath about me and move on.

I don’t want to cause an argument and derail the thread but I think it’s important for us all to have our say.

Threads like this one shouldn’t just be everyone agreeing with each other if you genuinely want to gauge how the support feels.

matty_f
06-06-2022, 01:00 PM
I going to try and answer the OPs question honestly, please don’t shoot me down for it.

I wasn’t pleased when we appointed LJ and listening to him, nothing has changed my mind. I think we’ve made another huge mistake and will be back here next year.

Reading the thread on here and the transfer window thread, he gets universal support. There’s not a single negative post about him so nobody can say the fans aren’t behind him.

Not impressed with the back room staff and being linked to guys like McGeady and Stockton is just horrific.

I like RG but if he thinks BK and IG are the right people to be running our club I think he’s completely wrong.

All the usual caveats of hope I’m wrong, time will tell etc apply, but I’m expecting another season similar to last year.

But please be civil and argue the points made instead of name calling. Or just ignore me, mutter something under your breath about me and move on.

I don’t want to cause an argument and derail the thread but I think it’s important for us all to have our say.

Threads like this one shouldn’t just be everyone agreeing with each other if you genuinely want to gauge how the support feels.

I can’t get my head around how finding being linked with (and not signing) players can ever be considered “horrific”.

Also at a loss as to what you’d be expecting from the backroom staff that Johnson has brought on board.

Smartie
06-06-2022, 01:00 PM

Out of interest - is there anything in particular he has said that you disagree with? Or is there anything in particular about his choice of backroom staff that makes you think they will be substandard?

Whilst we need to be realistic and live within our means, do you have any suggestions regarding alternatives?

Does Kenneh not seem to have decent credentials? Marshall too? I tend not to get too fussed about players we are only linked with, preferring to be critical of actual business we do.

I wonder if the Roy Keane/ Jon Dahl Tomasson links may have skewed some folks' perspective a wee bit whilst I fully respect your right to your own opinion?

WhileTheChief..
06-06-2022, 01:04 PM
Out of interest - is there anything in particular he has said that you disagree with? Or is there anything in particular about his choice of backroom staff that makes you think they will be substandard?

Whilst we need to be realistic and live within our means, do you have any suggestions regarding alternatives?

Does Kenneh not seem to have decent credentials? Marshall too? I tend not to get too fussed about players we are only linked with, preferring to be critical of actual business we do.

I wonder if the Roy Keane/ Jon Dahl Tomasson links may have skewed some folks' perspective a wee bit whilst I fully respect your right to your own opinion?

Im at work just now so will try and reply properly later on.

Wilson
06-06-2022, 01:07 PM

There's nothing to argue with really. You are pessimistic about the current regime and need proven wrong. Others are optimistic and hope to be right. Some are on the fence and need the football to help them decide.

Personally, I'd like some signings. We've let the right players go but the squad needs filled out. There are a lot of moving parts to putting out a successful team and we've only just begun.

I back Lee Johnson. He's young but experienced relative to that. Keane would have been a car crash and JDT, apparently, a money pit. He's the right man. The club have to back their man and we need positive results.

Paul1642
06-06-2022, 01:09 PM

What / who would make you happy?

It’s obviously impossible to get a proper impression on a new manager until they are in the dugout but Johnson comes with a good CV, from interviews appears to have a philosophy that suits what our fans want, and has brought in one assistant manager who he has worked with before in Jamie Mcallister and another with an extremely impressive CV (IMO) in Adam Owens.

Like any appointment it might not work out but if you can’t get good vibes about the direction we are trying to move in then I really don’t see what realistic outcome would please you.

Since452
06-06-2022, 01:10 PM

You are obviously entitled to your opinion and i respect that. I was of a similar opinion when Maloney was appointed. Was very doubtfull and was crucified for it on here. He may or may not be a success. I do have a very good feeling about it however it's all about what happens on the park. That's the only thing that will convince people.

Big_Franck
06-06-2022, 01:38 PM
Last season felt crushing and I don’t think I’ve felt as done with the club since the Calderwood era, maybe longer. I didn’t feel any enthusiasm when LJ’s name was brought up as a rumour for the job nor when it became clear that he was going to be the man in the hot seat.

And yet - here I am looking forward to the new season and how we do, who we sign, how we play. Enthused by the two assistants (and reminds me a bit of the Stubbs, Doolan and Taff combo, even though Doolan had SDG’s job).

I like the cut of LJ’s chat so far. I like the signing of Marshall and Kenneh. I’m glad we’re not renewing the loans from last season and have let a few leave.

Still lots that I want to see differently (I don’t trust Ian Gordon nor Ron fully) but the fog feels like it’s lifting over the club a bit.

How is everyone else feeling for the season ahead? What are your expectations? Has your opinion of LJ changed?

Totally agree. I'm looking forward to next season far more than I was a month ago.

The signings of Marshall and Kenneh are a good start. Johnson deciding against keeping any of the bang average players we had on loan was another positive sign for me.

I'm not overly concerned about his chat in interviews as everyone bar bobby williamson can talk a good game, but I like the signs so far. I'm looking forward to seeing who else we bring in.

tonyrougier123
06-06-2022, 01:45 PM
I’m hopeful more than excited tbh,it should work out better than the last appointment but that won’t be hard either.

Let’s get a few players in see how the squad takes shape.
It’s as clean a slate since Stubbs so I’d expect a good number incoming.

Johnson said he is well connected so let’s see them utilised instead of a committee YouTube loan deal, nothing more exciting than a manager signing his own picks with confidence.

Looks like macey is away so I’d expect another quality proven 1st team goalie signed to battle for the gloves and Mitchell and sorry to say dabrowski going out.

No point in being false about the situation,it’s a huge summer for hibs.

He seems a good lad Johnson and I don’t think the last appointment will take much beating so here’s to him and his staff,let’s get the hibees back on song.

Northernhibee
06-06-2022, 01:46 PM

TBF there's very little evidence other than speculation that we're interested in Stockton or McGeady.

Saint Hibee
06-06-2022, 01:54 PM
My level of excitement will probably be decided by what signings we make between now and the start of the season.

Smartie
06-06-2022, 01:55 PM
There's nothing to argue with really. You are pessimistic about the current regime and need proven wrong. Others are optimistic and hope to be right. Some are on the fence and need the football to help them decide.

Personally, I'd like some signings. We've let the right players go but the squad needs filled out. There are a lot of moving parts to putting out a successful team and we've only just begun.

I back Lee Johnson. He's young but experienced relative to that. Keane would have been a car crash and JDT, apparently, a money pit. He's the right man. The club have to back their man and we need positive results.

Good post, and this is almost exactly where I am.

Lago
06-06-2022, 02:01 PM

I'll keep it simple and brief, I feel your completely wrong.

Since452
06-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Johnson attending the Livingston and Dundee games before he was even appointed and then immediatley punting back the loan players has grabbed my attention, in a good way.

flash
06-06-2022, 02:35 PM

It's an interesting post but the bit that I can't fathom is that you aren't impressed with the backroom staff.
Jamie McAllister is LJ's number two so that was a certainty which only leaves Adam Owen who, to my eye, appears to have a pretty impressive CV to be taking a backroom job with a club of our size.
Time will tell but this management team seems several levels above the previous one to my eyes.

thebausburst
06-06-2022, 02:37 PM
Probably like the majority I’m waiting to see who we sign and how we shape up in the LC games, heard all the talk before every time we change manager so now only interested in what we do on the park!

Wilson
06-06-2022, 02:42 PM
Probably like the majority I’m waiting to see who we sign and how we shape up in the LC games, heard all the talk before every time we change manager so now only interested in what we do on the park!

Quite right. I think a few games will start to answer everyone's questions. Whether you're feeling positive or not. Unfortunately, with no games in sight, talk is all we have to go on just now!

Still, if our manager wasn't saying the right things there would be plenty willing to point out the wrong ones!

Iain G
06-06-2022, 03:31 PM
A new broom sweeps through and there is the feeling of something new and hopeful and it's been pretty positive so far, he clearly knows what he wants to do, we have signed 2 players already who I would expect to be first picks, and let go the loanees and not offering new deals to players who aren't good enough.

So far it's all good, backroom team coming in and then a summer of new signings ahead, it's exciting! 😁

Stubbsy90+2
06-06-2022, 03:32 PM
My level of excitement will probably be decided by what signings we make between now and the start of the season.

Same here.

Didn’t particularly want Johnson at the time but he’s here now.

The signings and results will get me excited from where we are just now. After the last 2 or 3 years I’ve very little excitement in the bank so there needs to be something to get excited about. For me, that hasn’t been Johnson, that’s not to say I have anything against him though.

PatHead
06-06-2022, 03:56 PM
In answer to the OP I am not getting excited at thought of next season. For the first time in countless years I have not renewed my season ticket. I really wasn't enjoying the football and wasn't enjoying going so much that I have only been to one home game since the end of January.

It wasn't just Ross or Maloney it has been building up for a few seasons. Bland, boring football with the odd burst of excitement here and there. I hope I am wrong but LJ doesn't fill me with anticipation as he strikes me as one of those modern coaches.

I also think VAR will make things worse.

The Lennon era was a wee bit respite but I appreciate that he had to go at the end. Stubbs was really the last time I enjoyed and looked forward to a match.

I have joined a golf club instead and can now only blame myself for a miserable Saturday!

Hopefully I will come to miss it after a while and may even find myself looking for a half season but I really doubt it the way I am feeling just now.

LancsHibs
06-06-2022, 04:08 PM

:aok: I’m with you there, wasn’t excited by LJ’s appointment but since he’s arrived I’ve been impressed. Pleased, if rumours are true, that he’s looking to move Christian Doidge on, big Doidge is far from one of our worst players but is the sort we need to improve on if we are going to step up. In fact I’m sure LJ will be making attempts to improve on just about every current player in the squad.

B.H.F.C
06-06-2022, 04:11 PM
Not excited but feel slightly more optimistic than I did a few weeks ago. Think we’ve made some sensible decisions so far, in terms of not retaining any of the players we’ve let go. There were probably arguments to be made for some of them but the contributed very little between them last season. And Marshall replacing Macey improves a key position in the team.

Stuart93
06-06-2022, 04:26 PM
Think I’ll get more excited when I see more signings

weecounty hibby
06-06-2022, 04:33 PM
When it comes to Hibs I'm a 53 year old kid. Always get excited even when we are pish. When I look back at last year the league was disappointing but we were in a final and a semi final. Throughout the entire decade of the 80s we managed that once. LC loss to Aberdeeen and SC semi loss again to the sheep. We are regular attendees at semis and finals now. I think that LJ will be a decent appointment, I think the first signings look pretty good. Onwards and upwards

worcesterhibby
06-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Yep, if we play the sort of football that our new manager is talking about then, I think we are in for more hopeful times. My main worry is that there's not a lot of patience out there, so I hope his team hit the ground running.

For me, the main buzz of going to football matches is seeing goals scored, so his indication that we will be loading the box, getting players forward and looking to score more goals sounds good. At the end of the day we are unlikely to ever win the league, so league matches should be about entertainment as far as I'm concerned. If we regularly score 3+ goals a game I will be able to stomach the odd 5-3 defeat as long as their are more wins than losses. Good home form, more goals and faster more attacking football combined with getting the better of our neighbours and really competing like it's life and death during derbies and most people will be happy.

Jones28
06-06-2022, 04:36 PM
Some more signings and once we see how the team will play for me, there is certainly the green shoots there though, it's been a promising start.

WhileTheChief..
06-06-2022, 04:57 PM

He comes across as a really nice, likeable bloke.

I didn't really want that though, I wanted someone with a bit of an aura about them, some personality. Someone that would make the players sit up and go, 'ya beauty, this is gonna be good'.

I just see LJ as another Calderwood or Heckingbottom.

Backroom staff, on the face of it, is lacking experience. I'll admit to knowing hee-haw about them though :greengrin

For alternatives, despite what some might think, it's nothing to do with getting a 'big name'. I've ben clear about the type of person I want as manager since Lennon left. At least I'm consistent!!

What I'd like to understand is how LJs name even came up. It looks like we've simply looked at a spreadsheet of stats and got him in for an interview based on them. He obviously interviewed very well.

Keene and JDT certainly got my interest, maybe for the wrong reasons, but ER would have been bouncing on the first game of the season at ER with either of them in charge. That would've done for me for starters.

Kenneh seems like another young one for the future. Similar to the January transfer window we're signing players that won't be first team picks.

Marshall will probably do ok, but I think the goalkeepers position is the least of our worries.

Pleased that LJ has released some players and if he culls a good few more I might start to believe things will improve.

RG thinks we've got a decent squad. I think it's crap. Like really, really crap.

We need a complete overhaul and to freshen things up. If he does that, and has us winning games then of course I'll be delighted.

If he starts the season with basically the same core of players in the first team then I doubt my ST will get much use.

I'm not hating on LJ here btw, just giving my honest thoughts.

Other than that, the new hospitality things look good although they are way out of my price range. I used to do 2 games a season.

Not sure what other news three's been to get excited about? I could easily have missed it though, I've not been following things as closely as I used to.

Anyways, hope that goes some way to answer your point. I'm not claiming to be some genius here or anything, it just so happens I see things differently to most of you guys. Hope that's ok.

cameronw-hfc
06-06-2022, 05:07 PM

I didn't really want that though, I wanted someone with a bit of an aura about them, some personality. Someone that would make the players sit up and go, 'ya beauty, this is gonna be good'.

Backroom staff, on the face of it, is lacking experience. I'll admit to knowing hee-haw about them though :greengrin

For alternatives, despite what some might think, it's nothing to do with getting a 'big name'. I've ben clear about the type of person I want as manager since Lennon left. At least I'm consistent!!

What I'd like to understand is how LJs name even came up. It looks like we've simply looked at a spreadsheet of stats and got him in for an interview based on them. He obviously interviewed very well.

Keene and JDT certainly got my interest, maybe for the wrong reasons, but ER would have been bouncing on the first game of the season at ER with either of them in charge. That would've done for me for starters.

Kenneh seems like another young one for the future. Similar to the January transfer window we're signing players that won't be first team picks.

Marshall will probably do ok, but I think the goalkeepers position is the least of our worries.

Pleased that LJ has released some players and if he culls a good few more I might start to believe things will improve.

RG thinks we've got a decent squad. I think it's crap. Like really, really crap.

We need a complete overhaul and to freshen things up. If he does that, and has us winning games then of course I'll be delighted.

If he starts the season with basically the same core of players in the first team then I doubt my ST will get much use.

Other than that, the new hospitality things look good although they are way out of my price range. I used to do 2 games a season.

Not sure what other news three's been to get excited about? I could easily have missed it though, I've not been following things as closely as I used to.

Anyways, hope that goes some way to answer your point. I'm not claiming to be some genius here or anything, it just so happens I see things differently to most of you guys. Hope that's ok.

It does confuse me massively that Keane has excited you, someone with a pretty up and down record and a non-existent record over recent years, yet a manager thats left every club in a better place and has a recent track record of playing good exciting football doesn't excite you.

Kenneh doesn't seem like a signing for the future at all, he's obviously(well obvious to me at least) been signed to play this season. Just because its not another 35yo doesn't make them signings for the future.

And lastly, I completely disagree about the overhaul. It's a decent, but incredibly unbalanced squad. We don't need 10 new outfielders, we need 5/6 in the right positions, some to start and some for depth, but the basis of a good team is still there. It's still the same team that reached two semis and got third.

lyonhibs
06-06-2022, 05:37 PM
By virtue of "not being Roy Keane" I'm ok with him being the Hibs manager and the 2 confirmed signings I'm happy with. Less so if we start signing 37 year old outfield players which, as a 37 year old, makes me feel very old and sorry for myself so I'm off to the pub

judas
06-06-2022, 08:57 PM

I am happy with his moves so far

MWHIBBIES
06-06-2022, 09:36 PM

Had to stop at the bit in bold. Painful stuff. Adam Owen been working in football at big clubs for 19 years now. How on earth is he lacking experience?

You basically want us to make a good PR appointment that will make a few headlines rather than an actual good manager. Because Roy Keane is a ****ing dog**** manager.

At least you are consistent.

NAE NOOKIE
06-06-2022, 10:16 PM
I'm not massively excited by the new manager or the signing of an experienced keeper or the lad from Leeds. But the simple reason for that is that Lee Johnson is a manager whose ups have been matched by his downs, so the only proof of how good he will be here will be his results to come. Marshall can be a good keeper, but it remains to be seen if he will be as good as we hope. Kenneh seems to have the attributes we need to improve the team, but his first team experience is limited to say the least, I don't think he has been signed as a squad player, but only time will tell if he's any good.

Whether to be excited or not between now and the start of the season depends on who we sign. We still need probably 6 players who can and will seriously challenge for first team places and who if they do make the team will significantly improve it.

There was no doubt I would renew my season ticket and of the 10 folk I know personally from the Borders who are season ticket holders ... 11 if you include me ... every single one of us has renewed for next season ... perhaps that separation from the Edinburgh frenzy makes us more stoic :greengrin

ekhibee
06-06-2022, 10:58 PM
It's all down to opinions obviously as far as Johnson goes so far. For me I want to see more of the dross in the team from last season gone, and some signings that obviously improve the team on a consistent basis. There were far too many imposters last season, comfortable in the knowledge that they weren't getting replaced, and some players that either wern't good enough or just past it sadly. I do like what LJ's had to say so far, but the work starts as soon as possible.

Dr What If?
06-06-2022, 11:43 PM
Can't say I'm excited, worried actually. Nothing to do with the new manager, I'm sure he will do the best he can with what he has. I just look at the kind of spending power Hearts and Aberdeen have this summer and think 5th will be a good result......think I'm also pretty jaded by coming so close over the last couple of years in the Cups and coming out empty handed.
Signing Marshall has encouraged me a bit, if nothing else we have signed a national hero after that night in Serbia....proud to have him in our club colours. I'm hoping we bring in some players to change my mood, I've no problem with bringing in kids with good potential, but I want to see some players I've heard of too.....players with proven talent (and this is my worry, the other two in out market have more money to play with). Third place this year would be punching above our weight and I'm not expecting it.....but if we get the right two or three faces it could be achievable.....and since I'm greedy, I really want us to scratch that Cup itch this year and bloody win something!

jacomo
06-06-2022, 11:44 PM

I wasn’t keen on LJ because his managerial record raises doubts, but his enthusiasm and obvious amount of work he’s put in already to try and understand Hibs has impressed me.

I think he’s the type of character the fans could warm to, not afraid to show his emotions and put it on the line.

He’s also young and ambitious and looks like he has a point to prove. He wants to play attacking football.

I’m more hopeful than I was a couple of weeks ago, and I am assuming we’ve already got a number of targets lined up because we are letting a lot of players go.

Here’s hoping he’s a success.

Stokesy's on fire
07-06-2022, 01:49 AM
I don't believe in LJ as Hibs manager at all. I understand he needs time but my honest expectations with him in charge is to finish in the higher end of the top 6. Sorry to sound like a fun sponge.

OldEast
07-06-2022, 04:50 AM
I don't believe in LJ as Hibs manager at all. I understand he needs time but my honest expectations with him in charge is to finish in the higher end of the top 6. Sorry to sound like a fun sponge.

Top 3 then. Bring it on 😄😄😄

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2022, 05:10 AM
Being able to speak well is a bonus compared to the last incumbent, but the only thing that will get everyone on his side will be winning football matches.

When you get to my age, you have pretty much heard it all before, and nothing thats said now means much.

Win games LJ, thats all i want, and if its done with a bit of style, all the better.

One Day Soon
07-06-2022, 06:55 AM
Nope, not for me.

I don't see anything either spectacularly good or bad in LJ's managerial record so no excitement from that. There might have been some excitement just from the fact of our having a new manager had it not been for our recent run of managers and the disappointments with them.

So, two other prospects for excitement - player signings and playing style/games played. Marshall is a decent start but in my view our squad needs a massive overhaul and signing prospects alone won't do it. I'm reserving judgement on both RG's intent and LJ's weight until I see the quality and quantity of new signings because talk is cheap.

No-one knows how we will perform next season until we start doing it and I'm afraid I've seen too many false dawns to become starry-eyed about what will happen next until it actually happens. I guess I'm travelling in hope rather than expectation.

Key West
07-06-2022, 07:01 AM
LJ is probably a realistic fit for Hibs and if he proves to be even half decent a top Six position wouldn’t be a mountain to climb, it is after all the SPL.
Hopefully we won’t be going into the season with a streamlined squad again which resulted in us losing all of our forwards and having an exceptionally weak bench at times.
It’s too early to be contemplating any excitement and at my age that is based on far too many false dawns, what I would say though is that he may have a better starting point than some other managers had in the past notably Stubbs.
Signings, the balance of the team and style of play will all be vital factors, I expect Hearts and Aberdeen to be the opposition in our quest to finish in the top 5.

WhileTheChief..
07-06-2022, 07:39 AM
Had to stop at the bit in bold. Painful stuff. Adam Owen been working in football at big clubs for 19 years now. How on earth is he lacking experience?

You basically want us to make a good PR appointment that will make a few headlines rather than an actual good manager. Because Roy Keane is a ****ing dog**** manager.

At least you are consistent.

You should have read the whole of my post as it answers the crappy point you’re trying to make.

Steve20
07-06-2022, 07:44 AM
There will be quite a bit of excitement if the club bring in the right quality of player, in the needed positions.

If it's the level of dross we've had the last few transfer windows, then not so much.

MWHIBBIES
07-06-2022, 07:47 AM
You should have read the whole of my post as it answers the crappy point you’re trying to make.

Na, it doesn't. You want ER bouncing on the first game. That's your criteria. Fair enough but it's not something you should be using it criticize LJ.

hibsbollah
07-06-2022, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure i'm ever that excited at this point in the year, im still enjoying the off season. I think its a shame the seasons so long now, we all love the game but a break is as good as a rest. Its late July August when i'm traditionally excited for the new season, but those days are probably long gone now. A month is a long time in football, a team that looks uninspiring on paper can look fantastic after a couple of exciting signings and some early season wins.

Hiber-nation
07-06-2022, 08:38 AM
While LJ is saying the right things I'm not all that interested in the chat as we've heard it all before. I'm looking forward to the start of the season as I always do but there's definitely no excitement. That'll all depend on who he brings in. I like the look of the coaching team but it'll mainly be down to the quality of player. Loads of work to be done.

Hibernian Verse
07-06-2022, 08:39 AM

I stopped when you said the backroom staff lacked experience then admitted that you didn't actually have a clue whether they did or not.

cameronw-hfc
07-06-2022, 09:07 AM

As others have said, this is a bit bonkers. There's things in here that are just plain wrong, no opinion, facts. There's also opinions that are valid, but when you present an argument of "not experienced, but I don't know them" it's criticism for the sake of it, rather than constructive or even reasonable doubts.

Greenworld
07-06-2022, 09:14 AM
This is a very strong management team put together by LJ.
Hibs need to be applauded for backing him to bring such experiance together.
With similar backing to get players in I think this could be a very good season.
I still think the slight delay in bring guys in is due to seeing what Doig and or porteeous bring in transfer fee wise .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
07-06-2022, 09:25 AM
I’m glad last season is over and we are starting to reshape the squad.

I will be more excited IF we add some players which will improve our starting 11.

If we just try to top up a few areas we will struggle but if we add 5 or 6 players to come in and play in the starting 11 we will start to see a new fresh team. Though if we sell Doig and or Porto we will really need to rebuild.

I want us to create a team with characters and a mental toughness we haven’t seen for several seasons - players who get the club and will connect with the fan base. Not easy but this is the time for the recruitment team and others to demonstrate they know what they are doing.

Stubbsy90+2
07-06-2022, 09:26 AM
Nope, not for me.

I don't see anything either spectacularly good or bad in LJ's managerial record so no excitement from that. There might have been some excitement just from the fact of our having a new manager had it not been for our recent run of managers and the disappointments with them.

So, two other prospects for excitement - player signings and playing style/games played. Marshall is a decent start but in my view our squad needs a massive overhaul and signing prospects alone won't do it. I'm reserving judgement on both RG's intent and LJ's weight until I see the quality and quantity of new signings because talk is cheap.

No-one knows how we will perform next season until we start doing it and I'm afraid I've seen too many false dawns to become starry-eyed about what will happen next until it actually happens. I guess I'm travelling in hope rather than expectation.

This is about where I am.

I think our squad is absolutely abysmal and I don’t think we’ve yet shed anywhere near enough of them. If we start the season with a lot of the guys that played last season in the team then I won’t be particularly excited.

The squad last season was terrible after we lost Boyle who carried our team. Without a significant change in playing personnel then I fully expect next season will be more of the same.

Northernhibee
07-06-2022, 09:42 AM
This is about where I am.

I think our squad is absolutely abysmal and I don’t think we’ve yet shed anywhere near enough of them. If we start the season with a lot of the guys that played last season in the team then I won’t be particularly excited.

The squad last season was terrible after we lost Boyle who carried our team. Without a significant change in playing personnel then I fully expect next season will be more of the same.

I actually don't think we're a million miles away. We have too many players who would be very good "with the right players around them" but none of the players who will actually make it gel. It's almost like we've looked too much into data to identify targets rather than just a bit of judgment - Paul McGinn for example doesn't really excel in any area but he defends well, links up defence to midfield well and can get forward and put a cross in. Data wouldn't identify him as stand out in any way, but Jack Ross could see what he could offer in a back three or at right back.

Kenneh sounds as if he'll take some work off the shoulders of the midfield and if we can get another dynamic midfielder in then Henderson can sit between midfield and the striker.

Better options out wide and a player who can hold the ball up or create space for someone like Melkersen and I think we'll see more from him (although he was concerning me a little near the end of last season).

Around Fyvie and McGinn, Dylan McGeouch looked like a brilliant footballer. Away from them he's floundered and I think we have a few too many Dylan's and not enough Fyvie types.

jacomo
07-06-2022, 10:50 AM
Nope, not for me.

A lot of players have left already or their contract is nearly up. A big squad overall is inevitable.

JimboHibs
07-06-2022, 10:52 AM
This is a very strong management team put together by LJ.
Hibs need to be applauded for backing him to bring such experiance together.
With similar backing to get players in I think this could be a very good season.
I still think the slight delay in bring guys in is due to seeing what Doig and or porteeous bring in transfer fee wise .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

All in your opinion of course and I do hope your correct.

My own opinion is I can't get excited about anything we do at the moment and fear another season of mediocre guff.

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2022, 10:56 AM
All in your opinion of course and I do hope your correct.

My own opinion is I can't get excited about anything we do at the moment and fear another season of mediocre guff.

I dont fear anything related to Hibs anymore, i will be excited for the start of the new season though, because we will have a number of new players signed by then.

And because of that, fearing the unknown is pretty daft in my opinion.

JeMeSouviens
07-06-2022, 11:03 AM
I'm not over bothered about who we do and don't sign. Let's face it, the chances I'll have heard of any of them are next to fa anyway. It's all about what we do on the park for me.

I'm less than whelmed, but I was similar about Mowbray and pretty optimistic about T***y f****n B*****r so wtfdik?