PDA

View Full Version : Craig Napier - Referee

DaveF
02-06-2022, 03:40 PM
Saw an article on the BBC where he has come out as gay. Another step in the right direction.

Apologies if already mentioned but didn't spot a thread.

Stubbsy90+2
02-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Never heard of him - is he a top flight ref?

matty_f
02-06-2022, 03:54 PM
Very brave of him to do it, he was followed by another (whose name I forget).

Pretty Boy
02-06-2022, 03:54 PM

He's a category one ref and has officiated in the Premiership. Lloyd Wilson, who referees in the lower leagues, has also made it public today that he is gay as well.

I think Jake Daniels has marked a sea change for football and homosexuality. It was madness to believe there aren't gay players, managers and referees out there and it seems some are increasingly comfortable being open about that. About time.

sauzee=legend
02-06-2022, 03:55 PM

Pretty sure he was the ref against Dundee on the 2nd last game of the season.

Hibernia&Alba
02-06-2022, 04:16 PM
Best of luck to both of them. The more it happens, the less of an issue it will become. In the meantime it will give confidence to others within football that they needn't hide being gay and times have moved on.

Scorrie
02-06-2022, 04:55 PM
Best of luck to both of them. The more it happens, the less of an issue it will become. In the meantime it will give confidence to others within football that they needn't hide being gay and times have moved on.

Spot on. One day this won’t even be news

Stubbsy90+2
02-06-2022, 04:58 PM
He's a category one ref and has officiated in the Premiership. Lloyd Wilson, who referees in the lower leagues, has also made it public today that he is gay as well.

I think Jake Daniels has marked a sea change for football and homosexuality. It was madness to believe there aren't gay players, managers and referees out there and it seems some are increasingly comfortable being open about that. About time.

Nice one :aok:

TAHibby
02-06-2022, 05:39 PM
All the best to him. Inb4 all the 'this isn't news, whys he going public' crowd appear proving why, he's gone public

Vault Boy
02-06-2022, 05:44 PM
So glad he feels comfortable being true to himself in public. Maybe, just maybe, we're getting there.

Irish_Steve
02-06-2022, 07:41 PM

The sad thing is that it still is an issue.

All the best to him and he may well become the first referee I've ever applauded onto the pitch

cameronw-hfc
02-06-2022, 07:59 PM
I use to run a football dept with a guy named Luke, top top writer, even better bloke. He's gay, and the abuse he gets sent to him on literally every single one of his articles/posts is something I truly wouldn't have believed if he didn't show me. Death threats, both private and public and abuse left right and centre.

It's a significant issue in football and it doesn't get the push it deserves giving how serious an issue homophobia is in football.

Seeing things like this makes me happy, personally ill never experience it, I'll never know the feeling of being abused for who I am, but seeing it firsthand has opened my eyes massively. I hope more follow and keep doing so, there's an abundance of gay players that are still terrified of coming out. Referees and officials will be no exception.

Well done to both, and I hope both continue to be role models for the younger gay players/officials coming through.

Keepthefaith
02-06-2022, 10:24 PM
I use to run a football dept with a guy named Luke, top top writer, even better bloke. He's gay, and the abuse he gets sent to him on literally every single one of his articles/posts is something I truly wouldn't have believed if he didn't show me. Death threats, both private and public and abuse left right and centre.

It's a significant issue in football and it doesn't get the push it deserves giving how serious an issue homophobia is in football.

Seeing things like this makes me happy, personally ill never experience it, I'll never know the feeling of being abused for who I am, but seeing it firsthand has opened my eyes massively. I hope more follow and keep doing so, there's an abundance of gay players that are still terrified of coming out. Referees and officials will be no exception.

Well done to both, and I hope both continue to be role models for the younger gay players/officials coming through.

👋👋👋👋 Well said!

Hibbyradge
02-06-2022, 10:51 PM
This is a heartwarming thread.

Attitudes are changing for the better.

HoboHarry
02-06-2022, 11:36 PM
This is a heartwarming thread.

Attitudes are changing for the better.
It is but wait until the season starts, the morons are going to have a field day.

cameronw-hfc
03-06-2022, 12:09 AM
It is but wait until the season starts, the morons are going to have a field day.

This is the sad part. There will be kids online that will post nice reactions for likes and yet will hurl slurs when he inevitably refs Hibs and has a stinker. That not even considering the bufoons that seem to support football team's that are by nature homophobic and against the thought.

This is why I hate seeing people try play it off as if it's not a big deal, it is. Whenever a player or official comes out, that is their life changed forever. It shouldn't be, but it is, from that moment onwards they become a role model to a whole section of fans, kids growing up playing and others that need representation in the sport. It also opens them up to vile abuse on the regular that most of us will never need to deal with.

Hopefully, the SFA take a harsh stance on any abuse, unfortunately I don't see it happening.

JimBHibees
03-06-2022, 06:08 AM

Did he report these threats to the police?

green day
03-06-2022, 07:34 AM

I would like to think that clubs would brief stewards to bring these things to the attention of the police - and tell fans this is happening.

I would hope a night in the cells, a charge under the hate crime legislation, a fine and and a criminal record will focus the minds (obviously I appreciate that doesnt always happen with sectarian chants).

Phil MaGlass
03-06-2022, 12:42 PM
I hope the clubs are ready to deal with anything that happens within the stadiums, it was many moons ago but feels like yesterday, remember Mark Walters the black player and the amount of grief he received on the pitch from folk throwing bananas, monkey chants and the rest. Hopefully it doesnae come tae much.
A better fairer Scotland.

cameronw-hfc
03-06-2022, 12:45 PM
Did he report these threats to the police?

He has done before, but he doesn't. It's not worth his time to report all messages he gets every time he posts. He shouldn't have to do it in the first place, if I had abuse on every post id get bored and give up reporting any as well.

JimBHibees
03-06-2022, 01:08 PM
He has done before, but he doesn't. It's not worth his time to report all messages he gets every time he posts. He shouldn't have to do it in the first place, if I had abuse on every post id get bored and give up reporting any as well.

Absolutely disgusting can he not turn off comments or whatever? So much chat about mental health these days yet so many avenues to negatively impact people in that way. Sounds like he has learned to ignore it to an extent though absolutely shouldn't need to.

cameronw-hfc
03-06-2022, 02:31 PM
Absolutely disgusting can he not turn off comments or whatever? So much chat about mental health these days yet so many avenues to negatively impact people in that way. Sounds like he has learned to ignore it to an extent though absolutely shouldn't need to.

Unfortunately not. He's a freelance writer about football so turning off notifications and replies would be detrimental to him trying to promote his own work. He just puts up with it it now.

CJHibby
07-06-2022, 10:21 AM
Maybe a day could be set up for all gay men/women in football to 'come out' if they feel they want to. A safety in numbers approach may help them be more forthcoming in doing so.