PDA

View Full Version : What is required this summer?

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 07:22 AM
According to https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnsons-hibs-transfer-priorities-24031701, Hibernian do not require a right sided midfielder as Chris Cadden has made this position his, but Hibernian do require the following:

Striker and forward

Apparently, Christian Doidge's future at Hibs is uncertain, and Hibernian require an "experienced" striker, and also a replacement for Martin Boyle.

Attacking midfielder

Apparently, with Scott Allan on his way out of Hibs, we require an attacking midfielder, that is "even more dynamic" than Scott Allan.

2 Central Defenders

Apparently, keeping hold of Ryan Porteous is a must this summer, and with question marks hanging over Rocky Bushiri's future, added to Darren McGregor's age disadvantage, two central defenders are required urgently.

Heisenberg
23-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Two strikers. Two quick wingers. Two central midfielders. Two central defenders (three if Porto goes). A left back (if Doig goes).

Not much to ask for really…

Diclonius
23-05-2022, 07:38 AM
According to https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnsons-hibs-transfer-priorities-24031701, Hibernian do not require a right sided midfielder as Chris Cadden has made this position his, but Hibernian do require the following:

Striker and forward

Apparently, Christian Doidge's future at Hibs is uncertain, and Hibernian require an "experienced" striker, and also a replacement for Martin Boyle.

Attacking midfielder

Apparently, with Scott Allan on his way out of Hibs, we require an attacking midfielder, that is "even more dynamic" than Scott Allan.

2 Central Defenders

Apparently, keeping hold of Ryan Porteous is a must this summer, and with question marks hanging over Rocky Bushiri's future, added to Darren McGregor's age disadvantage, two central defenders are required urgently.

Hi Ross, decent article.

Jones28
23-05-2022, 07:48 AM
I think Doig and Porteous will be away, but I think Mitchell can make left back his own. I think there’s a player in Bushiri and want him to stay, McGregor potentially retiring as well so think a centre back will come in.

We need a midfield general. A Gogic style player but a better footballer would be ideal.

I want to see McKay given a chance wide left and if Jasper stays him a Cadden can fight it our t for the right hand side.

Clarkes future seems a bit uncertain so we might be looking for another right sided player.

Dylan Tait and Henderson are two I want to see more of in the Scott Allan role.

Striker wise I think we need minimum 1, 2 if Doidge goes and possibly 3 of Nisbet goes as well. James Scott might be an option, and I think he’d be worth a deal if available on a free.

Unseen work
23-05-2022, 07:52 AM
I’m not convinced Cadden will be a starter, think Clarke (if he’s still here) will be the first choice right back as he’ll want actual right wingers who are tricky, score and create as one of the front 3.

Sioux
23-05-2022, 07:53 AM
Do people rely on these web pests expecting some revealing insight?

Hibernian Verse
23-05-2022, 07:54 AM

I think it's the guys own article. Trying to get web traffic.

SChibs
23-05-2022, 07:55 AM

Maybe people are just interested in other people's opinions

JXM73
23-05-2022, 08:08 AM
I think Doig and Porteous will be away, but I think Mitchell can make left back his own. I think there’s a player in Bushiri and want him to stay, McGregor potentially retiring as well so think a centre back will come in.

We need a midfield general. A Gogic style player but a better footballer would be ideal.

I want to see McKay given a chance wide left and if Jasper stays him a Cadden can fight it our t for the right hand side.

Clarkes future seems a bit uncertain so we might be looking for another right sided player.

Striker wise I think we need minimum 1, 2 if Doidge goes and possibly 3 of Nisbet goes as well. James Scott might be an option, and I think he’d be worth a deal if available on a free.

Ffs, nonsense from start to finish...obviously spending too much time at tynecastle... anyone thats watched rocky can see there's only a donkey in there...

Sioux
23-05-2022, 08:19 AM
Maybe people are just interested in other people's opinions

Ye, people read something on the internet thinking the writer knows what he's talking about!

Hibernia&Alba
23-05-2022, 08:22 AM
Two strikers. Two quick wingers. Two central midfielders. Two central defenders (three if Porto goes). A left back (if Doig goes).

Yes, a lot of work required!

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 08:24 AM

I hope Lee Johnson can sell Doig and Porteous the dream and persuade them both to stay, and Ron can make it worth their while.

Regarding Bushiri, I like his age, only twenty two, and Hanlon and Porteous are already well established first team regulars with plenty experience, but I don't like the question marks over his ability, so I would like to see a couple of young central defenders come in, to be groomed for the role of stepping in for Hanlon whom maybe only has a couple of years at this level left in him.

Simon Ferry has compared Dundee's nineteen year old Scotland under 21 internationalist Josh Mulligan's work-rate to that of Gareth Bale, and described him as "powerful, strong and direct", and as a "Rolls-Royce" footballer.

Yes, we signed McKay for a reason.

Another good thing about Josh Mulligan, not only is he a nineteen year old currently playing in the Scottish under 21's as opposed to the Scotland under 19's, but he can also play on the right hand side of midfield, as well as central midield. Actually, he is also down as a right back.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/josh-mulligan/profil/spieler/674809

Always good to give youth a chance.

I don't think Kevin Nisbet will be going anywhere in the near future due to his injury. Though I would not put my money on that.

I do like the look of this Josh Mulligan however. Only one year left on his Dundee contract, and with Dundee getting relegated I am sure he would jump at the chance to play in the premier again and Dundee could be bribed. He's young, versatile, and has already scored against Hibernian, and played for Dundee during victories against both Hibs "and" Hearts.

Brightside
23-05-2022, 09:11 AM
Porto has already knocked back a good deal - I dont think he will stay. But we will get very little for him at this stage in his contract. Its a tricky one for Hibs.
Doig doesnt want to go for at least one more year. He doesnt think he is ready for the Championship yet. So a good season coming up and we could get a decent amount of money for him

Cadden will continue to play every game when he is fit. His energy and work rate make him first pick and why he was POTY. It will be interesting to see how the new managers fits him in with Clarke.

So i think we will get 2 CBs - one left and one right and both should be pushing to start. We need a dynamic number 6 in the style of ****e (but obv not that level). None of our current DMs can fetch and carry the ball.

We need at least 1 top class striker.

We need a top class no.10 - i could see that being a loan in the hope that Magennis could get properly fit.

Anything on top of that will i think be loan players.

eastterrace
23-05-2022, 09:21 AM

You forgot a goalie.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Goalie, central defender, central midfielder, striker.

Marshall is a good start, need to get 1st pick players in right up the spine of the team as our starting point.

The Modfather
23-05-2022, 09:29 AM
Porto has already knocked back a good deal - I dont think he will stay. But we will get very little for him at this stage in his contract. Its a tricky one for Hibs.
Doig doesnt want to go for at least one more year. He doesnt think he is ready for the Championship yet. So a good season coming up and we could get a decent amount of money for him

Cadden will continue to play every game when he is fit. His energy and work rate make him first pick and why he was POTY. It will be interesting to see how the new managers fits him in with Clarke.

So i think we will get 2 CBs - one left and one right and both should be pushing to start. We need a dynamic number 6 in the style of ****e (but obv not that level). None of our current DMs can fetch and carry the ball.

We need at least 1 top class striker.

We need a top class no.10 - i could see that being a loan in the hope that Magennis could get properly fit.

Anything on top of that will i think be loan players.

I like Cadden, he’s a real athlete. However I’m not sure there’s a place for him going forward if Clarke stays. Think Cadden could play RB and be a big help to a real winger in overlapping and creating space for him. As a wingback or winger though he’s not good enough in the final third to be our attacking outlet, and effectively Boyle’s replacement, as he was last season.

In mitigation, he gets into some great crossing positions and it’s an unenviable task trying to pick someone out with the limited midfield we have. Not convinced he’s good enough in the final third but with some new forwards and new midfielders he might be able to capitalise more on the positions he gets into.

CapitalGreen
23-05-2022, 09:34 AM
Central midfield
Central midfield
Central midfield

danhibees1875
23-05-2022, 09:37 AM
I think we're doing quite well in the full back department: Cadden, Clarke, Doig, Mitchell, and Stevenson are all good options. I'm not sure which 2 I'd pick and if the others can slot in elsewhere in the team with the right formation.

Everywhere else probably needs a bit of work.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2022, 09:40 AM
We need someone who can score goals, goals and more goals
Our top league scorer last season was Boyle on 7 goals, he was 23rd top goal scorer in Scotland last season, and hasn’t played for Hibs for ages

Jones28
23-05-2022, 09:41 AM
Ffs, nonsense from start to finish...obviously spending too much time at tynecastle... anyone thats watched rocky can see there's only a donkey in there...

Nonsense from start to finish...references one part of the post.

Ok then :aok:

Green Reaper
23-05-2022, 09:48 AM
I like Cadden, he’s a real athlete. However I’m not sure there’s a place for him going forward if Clarke stays. Think Cadden could play RB and be a big help to a real winger in overlapping and creating space for him. As a wingback or winger though he’s not good enough in the final third to be our attacking outlet, and effectively Boyle’s replacement, as he was last season.

In mitigation, he gets into some great crossing positions and it’s an unenviable task trying to pick someone out with the limited midfield we have. Not convinced he’s good enough in the final third but with some new forwards and new midfielders he might be able to capitalise more on the positions he gets into.
Lee did say he likes to get early balls in to the strikers so will like Cadden I think, just need actual strikers to be in and around the box, along with midfielders making forward runs.

CL0762
23-05-2022, 09:52 AM
If Porteous does go, if what I’ve heard is true we have a ready made replacement in Jack Brydon. Followed the same route as Porto when he went to Edinburgh City and they’re raving about him, feel that he’s showing more potential at that age than Ryan did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stubbsy90+2
23-05-2022, 10:01 AM
Imo we need:

A goalie - presumably Marshall
At least one centre half, two if Porteous goes. If McGregor calls it a day as well then probably 3.
3 centre midfielders, a 6, an 8 and a 10. Although I could see Henderson being the 10. I don’t think he’s good enough but he’s in the building so I think we’ll use him
Two wingers - wouldn’t be surprised if one of them is Jasper
Two strikers, could probably get by with one being a decent loan. Probably needs to be three if Doidge goes.

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 10:02 AM
Goalie, central defender, central midfielder, striker.

Marshall is a good start, need to get 1st pick players in right up the spine of the team as our starting point.

Marshall has got his Hibernian medical on Monday, according to the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61549097

Stubbsy90+2
23-05-2022, 10:03 AM
If Porteous does go, if what I’ve heard is true we have a ready made replacement in Jack Brydon. Followed the same route as Porto when he went to Edinburgh City and they’re raving about him, feel that he’s showing more potential at that age than Ryan did.

He’s only 17 so I’d be hoping we’d be looking for an actual replacement for Porteous rather than blooding a 17 year old.

He sounds a good prospect though.

stuart-farquhar
23-05-2022, 10:04 AM
13000 season ticket holders.

CL0762
23-05-2022, 10:09 AM
He’s only 17 so I’d be hoping we’d be looking for an actual replacement for Porteous rather than blooding a 17 year old.

He sounds a good prospect though.

Didn’t realise he’s only 17, he seems to have been spoken about for a couple of years now.

J-C
23-05-2022, 10:18 AM
If he goes 433 then I can see Cadden in midfield with Clarke as wingback. I think we need 2 CB's 2-3 midfielders with energy and some guile and 2-3 fast attacking forwards, that's around 6-8 players.

We also have players back in the squad who may feature, Bradley, Tait and Mackay.

Stubbsy90+2
23-05-2022, 10:25 AM
Didn’t realise he’s only 17, he seems to have been spoken about for a couple of years now.

Yeah, 18 in September. He went on loan to Civil Service just after his 16th birthday and then to Stenhousemuir, also when he was 16. He done really well at Stenhousemuir. Great prospect :agree:

Brightside
23-05-2022, 10:48 AM

Yeh i agree. I'd have Clarke in front of him with Cadden playing a more traditional RB role. As you say they both provide the energy for overlaps and to cover for each other. But if Johnson plays 433 it then becomes tricky.

Brightside
23-05-2022, 10:50 AM

I'd like to see Jack Brydon taking Daz's place on the bench next season and him getting plenty game time in early cup games etc.

Brightside
23-05-2022, 10:53 AM

He's 18 now....i think Transfer market have his age wrong.

NAE NOOKIE
23-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Clearly a couple of centre backs if Porto goes, I wasn't aware he had turned down a new contract until I read it on this thread, so it looks like he could well be on the way out .... I am not on the slightest bit convinced that Rocky is the answer, his ability in the air is well open to question from what I've seen of him, perhaps he could be made into a defensive midfield player, but from what I can see no way is he a centre half.

At least two midfielders, one with a bit of presence who can impose himself and pick a pass and no matter what the combination ends up being in that area at least two of them should be willing to get into the box when we have the ball in the final third, our failure to get midfielders into the box is a constant source of irritation to me and a large part of why our goals for column is so pathetic, all defenders have to worry about is our powder puff attack because our midfield doesn't have a bloody goal in it, JDH's two goals were standouts because we so rarely score from midfield and our shooting from more than 15 yards out has been woeful for years .... Magennis if fit could be one of the answers to that problem, he does get into the box.

So far as our forwards go we had two decent ones in Nisbet and Doidge, but it looks like Nizzy wont be back until at least November and if the tank half full version of Doidge we saw on return from injury is actually the finished article it's worth asking if it's even a good idea to hold on to him. I still think Melkerson has real potential, I like his movement, but he needs to bulk up a wee bit coz he's too easily forced off the ball, as he was in the St Johnston game just past. I would like to see us sign a forward in the mold of Grant Holt or even Andy Carroll, who has left West Brom I'm lead to believe. a big ( if injury prone ) bruiser who puts the fear into defences and makes room for wee guys like Melkerson ..... Edinburgh is just a hop up the road from his natural habitat :greengrin ... Holt was clearly past his best, but he did make a difference to us.

Oh, and at least one winger .... has Mackay pulled up any trees at Killie, I watched their games with Arbroath and can't say I noticed him on the park as Fraser Murray ripped it up with a great display in the second leg.

Hamish
23-05-2022, 12:46 PM
Think Dan Mackay got injured during his loan and returned for a few games on the bench.

Steven Bradley seems to have done well at Dundalk and scored a few goals. Don't know the terms of his loan though.

Stubbsy90+2
23-05-2022, 01:43 PM
He's 18 now....i think Transfer market have his age wrong.

It would appear he is, Hibs have him listed as 18 and I’d presume we’ll be correct. Maybe he will be closer to first team level then!

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Oh, and at least one winger .... has Mackay pulled up any trees at Killie, I watched their games with Arbroath and can't say I noticed him on the park as Fraser Murray ripped it up with a great display in the second leg.

If it is a winger we are after I like the look of this Darragh Burns. Only nineteen years of age and already a Republic of Ireland under 21 internationalist. We were after him earlier on in the season along with Celtic but would not meet St Patrick's Athletic's asking price. Scored several decent goals as well, all viewable on youtube.

Since452
23-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Clearly a couple of centre backs if Porto goes, I wasn't aware he had turned down a new contract until I read it on this thread, so it looks like he could well be on the way out .... I am not on the slightest bit convinced that Rocky is the answer, his ability in the air is well open to question from what I've seen of him, perhaps he could be made into a defensive midfield player, but from what I can see no way is he a centre half.

At least two midfielders, one with a bit of presence who can impose himself and pick a pass and no matter what the combination ends up being in that area at least two of them should be willing to get into the box when we have the ball in the final third, our failure to get midfielders into the box is a constant source of irritation to me and a large part of why our goals for column is so pathetic, all defenders have to worry about is our powder puff attack because our midfield doesn't have a bloody goal in it, JDH's two goals were standouts because we so rarely score from midfield and our shooting from more than 15 yards out has been woeful for years .... Magennis if fit could be one of the answers to that problem, he does get into the box.

So far as our forwards go we had two decent ones in Nisbet and Doidge, but it looks like Nizzy wont be back until at least November and if the tank half full version of Doidge we saw on return from injury is actually the finished article it's worth asking if it's even a good idea to hold on to him. I still think Melkerson has real potential, I like his movement, but he needs to bulk up a wee bit coz he's too easily forced off the ball, as he was in the St Johnston game just past. I would like to see us sign a forward in the mold of Grant Holt or even Andy Carroll, who has left West Brom I'm lead to believe. a big ( if injury prone ) bruiser who puts the fear into defences and makes room for wee guys like Melkerson ..... Edinburgh is just a hop up the road from his natural habitat :greengrin ... Holt was clearly past his best, but he did make a difference to us.

I hope Lee has seen enough to send him back to his parent club without taking up the option.

jacomo
23-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Central midfield is the absolute priority. Any combination we tried in there this season didn’t really work.

If Magennis is back then great but we can’t rely on that being the case.

If Porto goes he leaves big shoes to fill.

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 03:03 PM
You forgot a goalie.

We already have a Scottish international goalkeeper with 47 caps whom pulled off the most important save in Scottish international footballing history.
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/david-marshall-to-join-hibs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFYE9TnA5Q

number9dream
23-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Marshall
McGinn* Porto* Doig
Clarke* Newell Stevenson Mitchell
Magennis*
Melkersen* Doidge*

Subs from: Dabrowski, Hanlon, Henderson, Cadden, Delferriere, JDH, Bradley, Campbell, Tait, Mackay, Hauge, young team...

In theory, that team could start on the first day of next season and it would be a decent line-up, but there are a lot of doubts and question marks.
Will McGinn get the option of an extra year? I'd certainly sign him up. Largely dependable and versatile.
Will Porto get a move over the summer? His value has plummeted after so much time out through suspensions and with just one year left on his deal.
Will Clarke fancy it? He looks head and shoulders above the rest and might be looking for a way out. It would be great to get him back with a pre-season under his belt. Definitely an upgrade on Cadden in that position, although 'Cads' is a pretty good second choice.
Can Lewis go on forever? Of course he can! But we could do with a real athletic monster in there, who can pick a pass too, if that's realistic at our level. Hopefully the board can push the boat out for a
Will Magennis break down again? Given his history, it's hard to feel optimistic, but fingers crossed since he is a talent. Not sure Henderson is the answer, so that could be another area that needs addressed...
Melkersen a work in progress, can Doidge get his mojo back? With Nisbet crocked, we probably need two new strikers.

Over to you Ron.

raeburnhibs
23-05-2022, 03:12 PM
Marshall
McGinn* Porto* Doig
Magennis*
Melkersen* Doidge*

Subs from: Dabrowski, Hanlon, Henderson, Cadden, Delferriere, JDH, Bradley, Campbell, Tait, Mackay, Hauge, young team...

In theory, that team could start on the first day of next season and it would be a decent line-up, but there are a lot of doubts and question marks.
Will McGinn get the option of an extra year? I'd certainly sign him up. Largely dependable and versatile.
Will Porto get a move over the summer? His value has plummeted after so much time out through suspensions and with just one year left on his deal.
Will Clarke fancy it? He looks head and shoulders above the rest and might be looking for a way out. It would be great to get him back with a pre-season under his belt. Definitely an upgrade on Cadden in that position, although 'Cads' is a pretty good second choice.
Can Lewis go on forever? Of course he can! But we could do with a real athletic monster in there, who can pick a pass too, if that's realistic at our level. Hopefully the board can push the boat out for a
Will Magennis break down again? Given his history, it's hard to feel optimistic, but fingers crossed since he is a talent. Not sure Henderson is the answer, so that could be another area that needs addressed...
Melkersen a work in progress, can Doidge get his mojo back? With Nisbet crocked, we probably need two new strikers.

Over to you Ron.

None of McGinn, Newell, Mitchell, Stevenson, Melkerson should be first picks, squad fine/ subs. Magennis is perma-injured (as is Mitchell) and Porteous highly likely to be off....

B.H.F.C
23-05-2022, 03:19 PM
Marshall
McGinn* Porto* Doig
Magennis*
Melkersen* Doidge*

Over to you Ron.

I don’t think we’ll be seeing too much of a back three next season.

Smartie
23-05-2022, 04:15 PM
Central midfield is the absolute priority. Any combination we tried in there this season didn’t really work.

If Magennis is back then great but we can’t rely on that being the case.

If Porto goes he leaves big shoes to fill.

Newell and JDH looked fine when they had Magennis in there with them but apart from one or two other occasions they looked hopeless together without him.

We looked much better when Stevenson was playing in there from time to time at the end of the season.

It's weird, there are lots of parts that look like they could be of use but just haven't worked at all together for so much of this season.

I'm a bit flummoxed by it, it will be interesting to see what Johnson thinks is the solution.

overdrive
23-05-2022, 04:39 PM
I don’t think we’ll be seeing too much of a back three next season.

I would also hope that's the last we've seen of Doig as a centre half. Absolutely wasted there and not good enough in the air.

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 05:07 PM
I would also hope that's the last we've seen of Doig as a centre half. Absolutely wasted there and not good enough in the air.

I just wonder if Derby County's 20 year old out of contract Under 21 Republic of Ireland central defensive internationalist "Eiran Cashin" is within Hibernian's pulling power? Certainly would appear to be more suited to the role than Josh Doig, whom is better suited to left back, and would be "perfect" competition for Ryan Porteous and Paul Hanlon.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/what-is-the-latest-news-with-eiran-cashins-contract-situation-at-derby-county/

Cashin is out of contract at the end of the 2021/22 campaign and given how impressively he’s established himself at Championship level, you feel it’s likely that there will be other clubs interested.

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 06:43 PM
Nohan Kenneh

In this thread we have requests for central defenders, central midfielders, attacking midfielders, wingers and strikers, yet Lee Johnson's first outfield signing was an English under 16 and under 17 capped defensive midfielder, that can also play centre back.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/nohan-kenneh-becomes-a-hibee

The 19-year-old has put pen-to-paper on a three-year pre-contract agreement and will join up with Lee Johnson’s men when his contract at English Premier League side Leeds United expires at the end of next month.

Good goal!!!

<strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kVNVVry6U