PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn

Pages : [1] 2

Key West
22-05-2022, 07:48 AM
Could SJM boost his transfer value and help Liverpool win the league at City?

McSwanky
22-05-2022, 07:53 AM
Could SJM boost his transfer value and help Liverpool win the league at City?I very much doubt it.

easty
22-05-2022, 07:53 AM
Man City are going to pump Villa today

danhibees1875
22-05-2022, 07:55 AM
Fingers crossed! I don't think it will happen though.

It feels like his value to villa is greater than what another team would be willing to pay for him - I think, particularly if it doesn't happen this summer, he'll see out his days at villa.

Key West
22-05-2022, 07:56 AM
I very much doubt it.

So do I but you can only hope.

Sir David Gray
22-05-2022, 07:58 AM
Hope not!

Key West
22-05-2022, 08:00 AM
I’m a massive fan of McGinn but I don’t think he would get into the midfield of Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea but he certainly would be an option for Arsenal, Spurs or Man United.

FRes Hibbie
22-05-2022, 08:10 AM
I’m a massive fan of McGinn but I don’t think he would get into the midfield of Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea but he certainly would be an option for Arsenal, Spurs or Man United.

I used to think he’d be a good fit for Klopp’s Liverpool but they’ve evolved a little since Thiago joined. McGinn’s probably slightly too old now for the big 6 to pay the sort of transfer fee Villa would demand.

Key West
22-05-2022, 08:15 AM
I used to think he’d be a good fit for Klopp’s Liverpool but they’ve evolved a little since Thiago joined. McGinn’s probably slightly too old now for the big 6 to pay the sort of transfer fee Villa would demand.

Totally agree, I could be wrong but since Gerrard arrived he seems to have a more subdued and defensive role and I prefer him to be an attacking midfielder with a goal threat.

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 08:16 AM

I've made this point a few times and folk haven't been able to take their green tinted glasses off. Villa are my English team, and whilst I think Mcginn would do well at a few top clubs, he won't end up there. Villa are loaded so don't need the cash, have already said they want over 50m and his age plays against him going for that size of a fee now-a-days.

Add in the fact Gerrard spoke about building the team around SJM, it's mostly wishful thinking that we will get cash for him anytime soon, just the circumstances aren't lining up well for it.

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 08:18 AM
Totally agree, I could be wrong but since Gerrard arrived he seems to have a more subdued and defensive role and I prefer him to be an attacking midfielder with a goal threat.

That's been necessary rather than by choice. Villa only have one natural #6 and he's just back from a long term injury so Luiz and Mcginn(both better going forward but can cover in defensive mid) have been occupying that role, but a #6 is top of the priority list so I imagine SJM will be back to an 8 next season.

Key West
22-05-2022, 08:21 AM
I've made this point a few times and folk haven't been able to take their green tinted glasses off. Villa are my English team, and whilst I think Mcginn would do well at a few top clubs, he won't end up there. Villa are loaded so don't need the cash, have already said they want over 50m and his age plays against him going for that size of a fee now-a-days.

Add in the fact Gerrard spoke about building the team around SJM, it's mostly wishful thinking that we will get cash for him anytime soon, just the circumstances aren't lining up well for it.

Do you see any notable difference in his game since Gerrard took over?

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 08:24 AM
Do you see any notable difference in his game since Gerrard took over?

Yeah he's been better all round. Mcginns issue with Villa has been patchy form. Sometimes looks like the best CM in the world, sometimes he runs into danger, his cross balls don't work and his long shots hit row Z.

Since Gerrard came in he's been a lot more consistent, better passing and much, much better decision making. He could have had a hat trick before half time vs Burnley if it wasn't for Pope.

I'm not sold on Gerrard yet, but the improvements he's made with Ramsey and Mcginn in a few months are pretty big tbf.

Springbank
22-05-2022, 08:24 AM
Rumours this week that conte wants him at spurs as,an upgrade on Harry winks

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Rumours this week that conte wants him at spurs as,an upgrade on Harry winks

Would be the most believable option to me, but I don't see Spurs spending the cash Villa will demand. they're not exactly known for free spending under Levy.

hibeg
22-05-2022, 08:25 AM

Saw report last week showing he was number 1 at Villa for completed passes, tackles made, and about 4/5 other key stats
It appears he is invaluable to them.
He had 2 efforts v Burnley in midweek which produced great saves from Nick Pope.
Obviously it would be great if a big money offer came in, but would Villa sell ?

Key West
22-05-2022, 08:28 AM
Yeah he's been better all round. Mcginns issue with Villa has been patchy form. Sometimes looks like the best CM in the world, sometimes he runs into danger, his cross balls don't work and his long shots hit row Z.

Since Gerrard came in he's been a lot more consistent, better passing and much, much better decision making. He could have had a hat trick before half time vs Burnley if it wasn't for Pope.

I'm not sold on Gerrard yet, but the improvements he's made with Ramsey and Mcginn in a few months are pretty big tbf.

Fair enough Gerrard does appear to improve the overall performances of individuals.

Key West
22-05-2022, 08:29 AM
Saw report last week showing he was number 1 at Villa for completed passes, tackles made, and about 4/5 other key stats
He had 2 efforts v Burnley in midweek which produced great saves from Nick Pope.
Obviously it would be great if a big money offer came in, but would Villa sell ?

His stats are impressive and a lot of coaches will be aware of this.

FRes Hibbie
22-05-2022, 08:33 AM

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-owner-premierleague-rich-list-25164342.amp

Villa’s owners are among the richest in the league so they certainly don’t need the money.

Highwayman
22-05-2022, 09:12 AM
If Conte at Spurs and managers at clubs higher up in the league than Villa see that John McGinn could be of use to them,the views of posters on .net amount to nothing.

As far as I am concerned get the McGinn transfer deal done as soon as possible.

Both Hibs and the hangers on at St Mirren need their share of the deal as soon as possible.

Also Villa need to start getting some cash in so that they buy back “one of their own” from Manchester City,the dud Jack Grealish.

MWHIBBIES
22-05-2022, 09:24 AM
If Conte at Spurs and managers at clubs higher up in the league than Villa see that John McGinn could be of use to them,the views of posters on .net amount to nothing.

Both Hibs and the hangers on at St Mirren need their share of the deal as soon as possible.

Also Villa need to start getting some cash in so that they buy back “one of their own” from Manchester City,the dud Jack Grealish.

Don't think its clever to write Grealish off. He is brilliant. He hasn't been great, but it has taken some of the very best in the world a season to adapt to Pep and City. He'll be going nowhere.

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 09:34 AM
Don't think its clever to write Grealish off. He is brilliant. He hasn't been great, but it has taken some of the very best in the world a season to adapt to Pep and City. He'll be going nowhere.

Brilliant?

Seem to remember him missing two glorious chances to bury Real Madrid once and for all

Noticed that for a 100m player could not head a ball to save himself

Seems to spend most of his time on the bench

Good luck to the guy though

MWHIBBIES
22-05-2022, 09:38 AM
Brilliant?

Seem to remember him missing two glorious chances to bury Real Madrid once and for all

Noticed that for a 100m player could not head a ball to save himself

Seems to spend most of his time on the bench

Good luck to the guy though

Yes. This isn't his first season as a professional. He was absolutely brilliant for Villa, there is a reason Pep Guardiola wanted him. Decent manager Pep is.

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 09:44 AM
Yes. This isn't his first season as a professional. He was absolutely brilliant for Villa, there is a reason Pep Guardiola wanted him. Decent manager Pep is.

Your point is caller ?

I would expect 100m player to hit the ground running be an ever present and win us loads of trophies

Not a tanner ba player brought out of his box for circus tricks once the game is done and dusted

The sooner Citee get Haaland on board the better

MWHIBBIES
22-05-2022, 09:53 AM
Your point is caller ?

I would expect 100m player to hit the ground running be an ever present and win us loads of trophies

Not a tanner ba player brought out of his box for circus tricks once the game is done and dusted

The sooner Citee get Haaland on board the better

As I've already said, better players than Grealish taken time to adapt to teams and playstyles. His pricetag means nothing whatsoever. Just a number they had to pay because Villa refused to sell.

Haaland a great player but injury record becoming a bit worrying.

Personally hope they all flop at such a loathsome club, but reality is quite different. Great players.

Pedantic_Hibee
22-05-2022, 10:01 AM
Thread derailed. Once more.

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 10:03 AM
As I've already said, better players than Grealish taken time to adapt to teams and playstyles. His pricetag means nothing whatsoever. Just a number they had to pay because Villa refused to sell.

Haaland a great player but injury record becoming a bit worrying.

Personally hope they all flop at such a loathsome club, but reality is quite different. Great players.

Agree with all of that

My gripe is - and we discussed this when he signed - I am obviously not as big a fan of Grealish as you are and I would never describe as brilliant good maybe 😀

Will leave it at that

Craig_in_Prague
22-05-2022, 10:11 AM
Thread derailed. Once more.

Needs to get back on track, agree.

MWHIBBIES
22-05-2022, 10:12 AM
Thread derailed. Once more.yawn

Agree with all of that

My gripe is - and we discussed this when he signed - I am obviously not as big a fan of Grealish as you are and I would never describe as brilliant good maybe 😀

Will leave it at that

:aok:

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 10:13 AM
yawn

:aok:

KDB is brilliant!

MWHIBBIES
22-05-2022, 10:15 AM
KDB is brilliant!

Oh I agree. Levels above Grealish. One of the best ever in his position.

Itsnoteasy
22-05-2022, 11:08 AM
What about the poor fans who started following Villa after his move. Are they going to have another English team to support.

gbhibby
22-05-2022, 11:17 AM
Just hope he does not pick up an injury we need him for the world cup qualifiers. Hope Spurs and Man utd get into a bidding war for him.

(Thread back on track,thank you)

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-05-2022, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle express an interest.

Coco Bryce
22-05-2022, 11:24 AM

They already have.

As well as Spurs and Man U

ancient hibee
22-05-2022, 11:53 AM
Don’t think there’s any doubt that if he has the chance of playing European football with better players or scudding around the lower end of the league with Villa what he’ll choose.

danhibees1875
22-05-2022, 12:10 PM
What about the poor fans who started following Villa after his move. Are they going to have another English team to support.

A different one anyway, hopefully a less maroon-y one. :greengrin

Green Reaper
22-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Don’t think there’s any doubt that if he has the chance of playing European football with better players or scudding around the lower end of the league with Villa what he’ll choose.

Agree with this, he will know this could well be his last chance to get such a move.

RyeSloan
22-05-2022, 12:31 PM

And they would be smart to do so.

Putting SJM into most teams will improve them and for Newcastle he would improve that midfield immediately by some distance and allow them to add more flair players around him.

He’s a stick on performer at that level and they have the money to buy a top player to do them over their transition period who would not have a huge resale value after.

Ozyhibby
22-05-2022, 12:34 PM
And they would be smart to do so.

Putting SJM into most teams will improve them and for Newcastle he would improve that midfield immediately by some distance and allow them to add more flair players around him.

He’s a stick on performer at that level and they have the money to buy a top player to do them over their transition period who would not have a huge resale value after.

It’s not just a case of him moving up the way as far as we are concerned. Even if his form drops and Villa decide they want rid, it will still likely mean a £10m fee to Forest or Norwich etc. our share of that would be significant. Main thing is we need him to move. Anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicho87
22-05-2022, 12:35 PM
I think he’s 27 now. For a big move he maybe only has one or two windows left before the bigger spenders wouldn’t wouldnt pay past £50 odd million

I hope for hibs sake he gets a big love this summer

Man Utd would be splendid

Hibee Mac
22-05-2022, 12:37 PM
I think he’s 27 now. For a big move he maybe only has one or two windows left before the bigger spenders wouldn’t wouldnt pay past £50 odd million

Man Utd would be splendidCorrect, 27 soon to be 28 in October. From our point of view we want him to move now

AltheHibby
22-05-2022, 12:50 PM

Man Utd would be splendid

Nice of you to wish that for him, but what would Hibs get out of it?:greengrin

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 03:46 PM

Of course they're interested, my point isn't that he would do well there, it's that Villa are loaded, aren't forced to sell and what one of those clubs will front up what Villa want?

I can't see spurs splashing 50/60m on him, I can't see Arsenal or Liverpool paying that, i just don't see where the move happens.

For Johns sake if he wants to go I hope he gets it, but there's been rumours every season and he's never even hinted at forcing a move, he's not that type of player. I just don't see the move likely, due to a lot of factors.

I'm not saying it's impossible, he could leave in the summer if someone pays what Villa want, but that's exactly the issue. Who's going to pay it? And Villa won't sell unless they get enough, they don't need to make any money, they're already one of the richer clubs in the league.

If anyone wants a reference to the pulling power at Villa currently, they've just snatched Boubacar Kamara from the hands of Athletico by offering considerably more money than they did.

HoboHarry
22-05-2022, 04:03 PM
Of course they're interested, my point isn't that he would do well there, it's that Villa are loaded, aren't forced to sell and what one of those clubs will front up what Villa want?

I can't see spurs splashing 50/60m on him, I can't see Arsenal or Liverpool paying that, i just don't see where the move happens.

For Johns sake if he wants to go I hope he gets it, but there's been rumours every season and he's never even hinted at forcing a move, he's not that type of player. I just don't see the move likely, due to a lot of factors.

I'm not saying it's impossible, he could leave in the summer if someone pays what Villa want, but that's exactly the issue. Who's going to pay it? And Villa won't sell unless they get enough, they don't need to make any money, they're already one of the richer clubs in the league.

If anyone wants a reference to the pulling power at Villa currently, they've just snatched Boubacar Kamara from the hands of Athletico by offering considerably more money than they did.
IIRC Villa have improved McGinns contract twice already but there could easily be set figure for a release clause. As always, we never know all of the details.

WhileTheChief..
22-05-2022, 05:02 PM
He’ll need to make a move if he wants to win another trophy. Sooner the better for us obv.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2022, 05:02 PM
How did he play today

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 05:09 PM
How did he play today

Quiet, but worked hard enough. Not a bad game for him overall

hfcok
22-05-2022, 05:34 PM
He’s been playing out of his natural position

Key West
22-05-2022, 05:45 PM
He’s been playing out of his natural position

He certainly was.

bod
22-05-2022, 05:58 PM
Heard he’s home sick & wants to come back to hibs

mjhibby
22-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Id say its 50/50 he goes. The fee is the problem. Villa need to get a big enough fee to tempt them to sell and and then they will heed a replacement. Id hope for sjms sake he gets a move to a spurs or man utd as he deserves to be playing for a club challenging at the top end. Gerrard isnt utilising him in his best position and at utd in centre mid he can break up the play and play that quick ball utd have been so missing. Ferandes would benefit hugely from having sjm and hed fit in to the spurs team no problem. Plus conte is a top manager and will make sjm a better player. Obviously it would make a massive difference to us if he does go but we will be planning im sure not with any money due in mind. Im sure clubs know on the grapevine if its likely to happen. John is saying all the right things as hes a gentleman but if man u or spurs put in a big bid hes bound to want to go. Who wouldnt. Hed be in a big squad at spurs and united but spurs will need to rotate with the champions league games. I hope for john sake he gets a stab at a top club. If not he has still had a fabulous career and as he has said many times i doubt anything will top may 21 and the parade. Once in a lifetime experience.

Since90+2
22-05-2022, 06:17 PM

Agreed.

We've had folk on here telling is McGinn will be going for 50/60 million for the last 2 years and it hasn't happened. The fact is he now nearly 28 makes it even less likely to happen now.

He is a very good player but not as good as some people on here would like to make us think.

If he didn't have the Hibs link he would hardly be mentioned on this forum.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2022, 06:26 PM
Agreed.

We've had folk on here telling is McGinn will be going for 50/60 million for the last 2 years and it hasn't happened. The fact is he now nearly 28 makes it even less likely to happen now.

He is a very good player but not as good as some people on here would like to make us think.

You can’t be serious! He’s an absolute star for Scotland, captain when Robertson isn’t available

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 06:33 PM
Agreed.

Nail on the head! I write for a few Villa publications and if say I know the fanbase on socials pretty well. I tried to say on here that there's a section of the Villa fans that don't rate him and got hounded by Hibs fans saying that's not true.

I've written plenty about John and had plenty of replies telling me how crap he is, despite most Villa fans disagreeing. There's a few bigger Villa twitter accounts that are adamant he's hopeless.

I disagree with them all, but it goes to show he's not the unstoppable force he was at Hibs. He's a good player, sometimes a very good player and very well liked, but he's not perfect.

And again, to everyone saying Gerrard plays him out of position, it's a necessity. Villa have 6/7 midfielders, all 10's or 8s. Mcginn and Luiz are the only two that can feasibly cover the DM role when Nakamba isn't playing.

Gerrard has spoke plenty about getting a #6 in and unleashing Mcginn higher up the pitch next season.

A Hi-Bee
22-05-2022, 06:35 PM
Id say its 50/50 he goes. The fee is the problem. Villa need to get a big enough fee to tempt them to sell and and then they will heed a replacement. Id hope for sjms sake he gets a move to a spurs or man utd as he deserves to be playing for a club challenging at the top end. Gerrard isnt utilising him in his best position and at utd in centre mid he can break up the play and play that quick ball utd have been so missing. Ferandes would benefit hugely from having sjm and hed fit in to the spurs team no problem. Plus conte is a top manager and will make sjm a better player. Obviously it would make a massive difference to us if he does go but we will be planning im sure not with any money due in mind. Im sure clubs know on the grapevine if its likely to happen. John is saying all the right things as hes a gentleman but if man u or spurs put in a big bid hes bound to want to go. Who wouldnt. Hed be in a big squad at spurs and united but spurs will need to rotate with the champions league games. I hope for john sake he gets a stab at a top club. If not he has still had a fabulous career and as he has said many times i doubt anything will top may 21 and the parade. Once in a lifetime experience.

They can let him go for less, slippy G can buy that one from the hun, that Tam english is suddenly in love with.
:thumbsup:

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 06:36 PM
You can’t be serious! He’s an absolute star for Scotland, captain when Robertson isn’t available

He is, but UTD or Spurs won't buy him because he plays well 4/5 times a year every 4 months. They'll be looking at how he plays week in week out for Villa, in the Premier League, and he's not as integral to Villa as he is for Scotland. He's important, but the point is that Hibs fans severely over rate him. I've had folk tell me he'd walk into most CMs in the world and it's just not true, he's not consistent enough. When he's good, he's exceptional but it's not every week.

Since90+2
22-05-2022, 06:50 PM

So was James McFadden.

As I said we've had posters claiming he'd be sold for 50/60 million for years now. If it didn't happen at 25/26 it ain't happening a few months from his 28th birthday.

JohnM1875
22-05-2022, 07:00 PM
So was James McFadden.

As I said we've had posters claiming he'd be sold for 50/60 million for years now. If it didn't happen at 25/26 it ain't happening a few months from his 28th birthday.

It'll happen this summer I reckon.

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 07:05 PM
It'll happen this summer I reckon.

Would be a massive surprise given even SJM has admitted he's had a pretty poor season this year. If it didn't happen the last few years I can't see how it would happen after his worst season.

Before anyone thinks I'm saying he's been crap, he's not, but everyone at Villa expected a hell of a lot more from the whole team this year, and Mcginn is part of that. His interview with JJ for Soccer AM (fifa ratings one) he says he will probably go down a rating for the next game after how he's played this season. Even he recognises he's been off it a bit.

Mike Berry
22-05-2022, 07:06 PM
I find it a bit strange that lots of folk here are saying that at 27 years old John McGinn is too old to attract really high bids. He's only just coming into his peak years.

Shrekko
22-05-2022, 07:08 PM
So was James McFadden.

Ever since he went to Villa he's been a certain starter under all 3 managers when fit. So they rate him very highly meaning it probably would take that kind of offer to tempt them to sell to a rival.

I can see both sides of it- if Villa decided to sell or McGinn asked for a move it would undoubtedly be for a very big fee (they're about to get £35 million from Newcastle for a full-back they lent out) but I don't think they want to sell and he won't ask for a move.

I don't think anyone's really over-rating him. He's highly thought off down South by fans, pundits and football people generally and 50/60 million really isn't mega money these days.

cameronw-hfc
22-05-2022, 07:10 PM
I find it a bit strange that lots of folk here are saying that at 27 years old John McGinn is too old to attract really high bids. He's only just coming into his peak years.

Because when you pay 50 mil for a 27yo they HAVE to work. There's absolutely no chance of selling for a profit, you're banking on the fact that you're signing a player to be a mainstay, and if they don't work, 2 years later you've got a 29yo 50mil floor that you can't get half your money back on.

Whereas if he's 21, you spend 50 mil and it doesn't work 2 years later there's still plenty of time left for someone to buy and develop the potential.

Hibbyradge
22-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Today was SJMs 100th Premier League game.

I wonder if Hibs get a windfall from it.

Callum_62
22-05-2022, 07:27 PM
I seen some stat pack come on the screen the other day with various metrics on villa as a team - Mcginn was first in them all

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

FRes Hibbie
22-05-2022, 07:40 PM

It’s not that he’s old or past it or anything as dramatic as that. It’s that when teams spend £50m, £60m or more it tends to be on players in the first half of their twenties. John McGinn will be 28 early next season, doesn’t seem the sort to try to force a move and Villa have no need to sell for anything other than top dollar.

Mr. Wonderful
22-05-2022, 08:16 PM
Nail on the head! I write for a few Villa publications and if say I know the fanbase on socials pretty well. I tried to say on here that there's a section of the Villa fans that don't rate him and got hounded by Hibs fans saying that's not true.

I've written plenty about John and had plenty of replies telling me how crap he is, despite most Villa fans disagreeing. There's a few bigger Villa twitter accounts that are adamant he's hopeless.

I disagree with them all, but it goes to show he's not the unstoppable force he was at Hibs. He's a good player, sometimes a very good player and very well liked, but he's not perfect.

And again, to everyone saying Gerrard plays him out of position, it's a necessity. Villa have 6/7 midfielders, all 10's or 8s. Mcginn and Luiz are the only two that can feasibly cover the DM role when Nakamba isn't playing.

Gerrard has spoke plenty about getting a #6 in and unleashing Mcginn higher up the pitch next season.

True enough, but it's always been the case (imo) that his ability isn't his biggest asset. Mcgeouch and Allan were more gifted footballers than he was in his time here, for instance.

His value to the bigger sides is his attitude, his ability to drive the team up the pitch and his ability to unite dressing rooms. Priceless assets.

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 08:25 PM
He’s better than Zidane

Nicho87
22-05-2022, 08:28 PM
He’s better than Zidane

He’s Stevie Gerard’s man

JohnM1875
22-05-2022, 09:49 PM
Would be a massive surprise given even SJM has admitted he's had a pretty poor season this year. If it didn't happen the last few years I can't see how it would happen after his worst season.

Before anyone thinks I'm saying he's been crap, he's not, but everyone at Villa expected a hell of a lot more from the whole team this year, and Mcginn is part of that. His interview with JJ for Soccer AM (fifa ratings one) he says he will probably go down a rating for the next game after how he's played this season. Even he recognises he's been off it a bit.

He made the Fifa (community) Premiership team of the season. Voted for by fans. I know a football game has absolutely no bearing on this what so ever, and rightfully so! But he's a popular guy.

Doesn't he have the highest crossing success in the whole league? Villa have had a poor season and McGinn is undoubtedly a part of that. But I'd be surprised if there isn't at least some serious offers for him this window.

Key West
22-05-2022, 10:17 PM
Thought he was ineffectual in the game today through no fault of his own, played out of position, less dynamic and involved as usual but that was a Gerrard decision which was working well until the later stages.

CapitalGreen
23-05-2022, 08:14 AM
Today was SJMs 100th Premier League game.

I wonder if Hibs get a windfall from it.

I believe it was confirmed before (possibly at an AGM) that all add-ons within the deal had now been met and the only potential further income was dependent on a future transfer.

Stick
23-05-2022, 08:41 AM
Thought he was ineffectual in the game today through no fault of his own, played out of position, less dynamic and involved as usual but that was a Gerrard decision which was working well until the later stages.

Agree with this. I was disappointed with his contribution, the play mostly passed him bye. When he had the ball he looked good but didn’t get it often enough. He was being played as mostly defensive cover and was practically a full back at times. We know he is most affective as an attacking midfielder, don’t know why he isn’t being used that way.

KWJ
23-05-2022, 08:56 AM
True enough, but it's always been the case (imo) that his ability isn't his biggest asset. Mcgeouch and Allan were more gifted footballers than he was in his time here, for instance.

His value to the bigger sides is his attitude, his ability to drive the team up the pitch and his ability to unite dressing rooms. Priceless assets.

I get what you mean in terms of how Allan and McGeouch could be better on the eye as they are more graceful and natural looking but McGinn isn't lacking in technique and has considerably more than just work rate. He's explosive, has great strength beyond just sticking his arse out and has a wonderful left foot.

Ozyhibby
23-05-2022, 09:39 AM

McGinn is a more gifted footballer than those two put together and even if it were the case, separating work rate and attitude out as lesser skills? There are plenty skilful guys doing keep ups in shopping centres, are they better footballers who just lack a bit of effort?
McGinn is the best player to play for Hibs since Sauzee. It’s not even close.

SlickShoes
23-05-2022, 09:42 AM
McGinn is a more gifted footballer than those two put together and even if it were the case, separating work rate and attitude out as lesser skills? There are plenty skilful guys doing keep ups in shopping centres, are they better footballers who just lack a bit of effort?

It's quite amazing that some people don't consider him a better footballer than those two, McGinn has everything, which is why he is playing at the level he is, saying it's mostly his work ethic or attitude does him a massive disservice.

JeMeSouviens
23-05-2022, 01:02 PM
He’s Stevie Gerard’s man

He'll always be Allan Stubbs' man. Even when he was Neil Lennon's man, he was Alan Stubbs' man! :greengrin

I think Spurs would be a great move for SJM. Champions League and Conte is a great manager who favours a high tempo, high energy style of play. Fingers crossed.

Springbank
23-05-2022, 02:32 PM
He'll always be Allan Stubbs' man. Even when he was Neil Lennon's man, he was Alan Stubbs' man! :greengrin

I think Spurs would be a great move for SJM. Champions League and Conte is a great manager who favours a high tempo, high energy style of play. Fingers crossed.

Agree - he'd be a superb signing for Spurs, Newcastle or Man U

Spurs because of the Conte factor

Newcastle / Man U because each club SJM has played for since St Mirren have been at the beginnings of an upwards journey. He sets a standard & has a great way of bringing others up to standard with him

Liam978
23-05-2022, 02:36 PM

He's a Villan and hopefully will be for some time yet.

Oscar T Grouch
23-05-2022, 02:48 PM
Tottenham told to U-turn on John McGinn after journalist's transfer update

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tottenham-told-to-u-turn-on-john-mcginn-after-journalists-transfer-update-robinson/

nonshinyfinish
23-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Tottenham told to U-turn on John McGinn after journalist's transfer update

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tottenham-told-to-u-turn-on-john-mcginn-after-journalists-transfer-update-robinson/

Am I missing something, or is this an article by Paul Robinson reporting on "exclusive" quotes from Paul Robinson about why Paul Robinson thinks Spurs shouldn't sign SJM?

SlickShoes
23-05-2022, 03:11 PM
Am I missing something, or is this an article by Paul Robinson reporting on "exclusive" quotes from Paul Robinson about why Paul Robinson thinks Spurs shouldn't sign SJM?

That is exactly what it seems to be, amazing.

TrinityHibs
23-05-2022, 03:15 PM
He is, but UTD or Spurs won't buy him because he plays well 4/5 times a year every 4 months. They'll be looking at how he plays week in week out for Villa, in the Premier League, and he's not as integral to Villa as he is for Scotland. He's important, but the point is that Hibs fans severely over rate him. I've had folk tell me he'd walk into most CMs in the world and it's just not true, he's not consistent enough. When he's good, he's exceptional but it's not every week.

John missed 3 league games for Villa this year that's pretty integral. If he wasn't consistent he would be rotated. There are very few teams in the premier league that he would struggle in and he would certainly improve Spurs, Arsenal, Man U and Newcastle. The real issue is not his talent but his contract and his value to a wealthy team.

Shrekko
23-05-2022, 03:28 PM

Agree- absolutely nuts when people still bang on about Allan in particular and also McGeough as being more "gifted footballers" than McGinn. They're not even remotely close.

Hibbyradge
23-05-2022, 03:31 PM
I believe it was confirmed before (possibly at an AGM) that all add-ons within the deal had now been met and the only potential further income was dependent on a future transfer.

Ok, thanks.

SaulGoodman
23-05-2022, 03:42 PM

“Welcome to a football insider news bulletin, I’m Paul Robinson, first we head to Paul Robinson for news on Spurs transfer business, over to you, Paul.”

“Thanks Paul, John Mcginn is *****. Back to you Paul”

“Thanks Paul, well there you have it folks a scathing review from Paul Robinson. Thanks for tuning in, I’ve been Paul Robinson”

nonshinyfinish
23-05-2022, 03:58 PM
“Welcome to a football insider news bulletin, I’m Paul Robinson, first we head to Paul Robinson for news on Spurs transfer business, over to you, Paul.”

“Thanks Paul, John Mcginn is *****. Back to you Paul”

“Thanks Paul, well there you have it folks a scathing review from Paul Robinson. Thanks for tuning in, I’ve been Paul Robinson”You can see why they value having an ex-pro on their staff, amazing network of contacts for scoops like this.

cameronw-hfc
23-05-2022, 04:31 PM
John missed 3 league games for Villa this year that's pretty integral. If he wasn't consistent he would be rotated. There are very few teams in the premier league that he would struggle in and he would certainly improve Spurs, Arsenal, Man U and Newcastle. The real issue is not his talent but his contract and his value to a wealthy team.

I see him weekly and think he needs to work on inconsistency but each to their own.

Allant1981
23-05-2022, 04:35 PM
I see him weekly and think he needs to work on inconsistency but each to their own.

If he was inconsistent then gerard and previous managers wouldnt have played him as often surely?

He's here!
23-05-2022, 04:53 PM
He's a Villan and hopefully will be for some time yet.

He obviously enjoys playing for Villa and made a very shrewd choice in moving there IMHO. They're a huge club and he could cement legendary status by staying there.

Obviously from a Hibs point of view it would suit us for him to move though. Man U would be where I'd like to see him. Just the kind of player they need but is he highly rated enough to get a move there?

Dashing Bob S
23-05-2022, 04:55 PM
He obviously enjoys playing for Villa and made a very shrewd choice in moving there IMHO. They're a huge club and he could cement legendary status by staying there.

Obviously from a Hibs point of view it would suit us for him to move though. Man U would be where I'd like to see him. Just the kind of player they need but is he highly rated enough to get a move there?

Sideways move these days

HoboHarry
23-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Sideways move these days

They may be struggling currently, but no it isn't. Not even close.

Mr. Wonderful
23-05-2022, 08:03 PM

He's is twice the player of those guys and he does have huge ability, but his physical and mental attributes combined with his ability make him so. In terms of raw technique those guys were better than him when he arrived. He's had to work hard to become the player he is.

gbhibby
23-05-2022, 08:16 PM
Gérard has admitted that he is playing in a position which is not his best position and he would like him to be further forward. Steve Clarke gets more out of him playing him in his best position. Villa need to sign a number 6 to let him play further forward.

cameronw-hfc
23-05-2022, 08:18 PM
Gérard has admitted that he is playing in a position which is not his best position and he would like him to be further forward. Steve Clarke gets more out of him playing him in his best position. Villa need to sign a number 6 to let him play further forward.

Yeah I've already tried saying that twice on here already lol

gbhibby
23-05-2022, 08:59 PM
Yeah I've already tried saying that twice on here already lol
Sorry Cameron came late to the thread. For some villa fans he can do no wrong but others seem to not rate him
Having watched quite a few villa matches on TV he seems to not get enough decent passes from team mates but when he does makes things happen. There was a few times playing for us where he would drop so deep to get decent possession of the ball then play a worldy of a pass. Villa need to channel more play through him. As you watch him week in week out what's your opinion.

jacomo
23-05-2022, 10:38 PM

Bizarre click bait articles across that site. I don’t give it much credibility, the guys churning out the copy don’t even get a byline.

cameronw-hfc
23-05-2022, 11:08 PM
Sorry Cameron came late to the thread. For some villa fans he can do no wrong but others seem to not rate him
Having watched quite a few villa matches on TV he seems to not get enough decent passes from team mates but when he does makes things happen. There was a few times playing for us where he would drop so deep to get decent possession of the ball then plat a worldy of a pass. Villa need to channel more play through him. As you watch him week in week out what's your opinion.

I love him. He has his flaws, but he's just needed a little rounding off, coaching wise. Gerrard seems to be doing that doing that and I think he'll remain a starter. He's always struggled to regularly hit the back of the net for Villa and often is used in a normal box to box role(obviously excusing the few months recently Nakamba has been out), and has said he knows he needs to score more, but otherwise I don't have complaints. I just try give a more balanced view on here, but overall Johns still a brilliant player and has really improved under Gerrard, which at 27 is a testament to his dedication.

He's mostly loved by the fans as well for being the same joker he was at Hibs. There is a section that don't rate him, but it is also a minority, most Villa fans think he's class and appreciate him. I don't think he's going anywhere, but I'm not saying it's impossible, more improbable giving his age/price tag, and finances. I hope he stays, but for Hibs sake id also he delighted if it was a massive fee and we got a chunk, so I am torn on it.

Clarence Beeks
24-05-2022, 12:28 PM
I love him. He has his flaws, but he's just needed a little rounding off, coaching wise. Gerrard seems to be doing that doing that and I think he'll remain a starter. He's always struggled to regularly hit the back of the net for Villa and often is used in a normal box to box role(obviously excusing the few months recently Nakamba has been out), and has said he knows he needs to score more, but otherwise I don't have complaints. I just try give a more balanced view on here, but overall Johns still a brilliant player and has really improved under Gerrard, which at 27 is a testament to his dedication.

He's mostly loved by the fans as well for being the same joker he was at Hibs. There is a section that don't rate him, but it is also a minority, most Villa fans think he's class and appreciate him. I don't think he's going anywhere, but I'm not saying it's impossible, more improbable giving his age/price tag, and finances. I hope he stays, but for Hibs sake id also he delighted if it was a massive fee and we got a chunk, so I am torn on it.

There will always be Villa fans that don't rate him, I can remember fans moaning at David Platt and Dwight Yorke, not sure if it's a Brummie thing or wider but there are those that seem to want to spend their money to sit and moan regardless.

Anyway, I love him and I think the manager does too. He's been asked to do jobs which don't suit him this season thanks to our complete and utter lack of any kind of defensive midfielder, and the general turmoil of the Grealish/Deano losses. So one big problem was sorted yesterday and I fully expect next season will see McGinn firing on all cylinders in a much better team.

BoomtownHibees
24-05-2022, 12:29 PM
I fully expect next season will see McGinn firing on all cylinders in a much better team.

Spurs?

CockneyRebel
24-05-2022, 12:33 PM
Spurs?

:greengrin

Clarence Beeks
24-05-2022, 12:44 PM
Spurs?

Honestly, Spurs are about the last club I could see him playing for, all fart and no ****.

loanheadhibby
25-05-2022, 01:09 PM
Sideways move these days

Geez a sideways move, Aston Villa to Man U.
Please tell me you're joking.

7Hero
25-05-2022, 02:37 PM
hes going to spurs, if there is a bet available stick some dosh on it..

MrSmith
25-05-2022, 03:01 PM
I’m confident JM will end up at Man U. Not in the know he just seems to be a perfect fit and exactly what they need.

JohnM1875
25-05-2022, 03:27 PM

Heard something then I'm guessing?

Be delighted if this is true! Champions League football for McGinn and good money for us.

jacomo
25-05-2022, 03:49 PM
I’m confident JM will end up at Man U. Not in the know he just seems to be a perfect fit and exactly what they need.

Agree, but Man Utd have been poor at signing what they need in recent seasons.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2022, 03:59 PM

Cant see it, I'd very much think ETH has his own targets sorted already. Doubt he knows who McGinn is.

147lothian
25-05-2022, 04:09 PM

I'm loving your optimism m8 but is your assertion based on anything or just a hunch?

BoomtownHibees
25-05-2022, 04:50 PM

5/1 yer cash on SkyBet

147lothian
25-05-2022, 04:56 PM
5/1 yer cash on SkyBet

Yeah I've just seen that Spurs have emerged as the 5/1 favorites to sign John McGinn on SkyBet

MagicSwirlingShip
25-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Cant see it, I'd very much think ETH has his own targets sorted already. Doubt he knows who McGinn is.

I’m pretty confident he will know who Mcginn is. He was Scotlands MOM against the Netherlands at Pittodrie in 2017

JammyDoidger
25-05-2022, 06:53 PM
I personally think he would be a real asset to liverpool, that high intensity is exactly what liverpool is all about.

Since90+2
25-05-2022, 06:59 PM
I personally think he would be a real asset to liverpool, that high intensity is exactly what liverpool is all about.

Liverpool are arguably the best football team in the world at the moment.

McGinn is quality and a good English Premier League player but I'm not sure he's quite good enough to play for the very elite teams, and Liverpool are very much the elite of elites.

HoboHarry
25-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Liverpool are arguably the best football team in the world at the moment.

McGinn is quality and a good English Premier League player but I'm not sure he's quite good enough to play for the very elite teams, and Liverpool are very much the elite of elites.
I'd suggest that if a 27 year old Jordan Henderson was playing for Aston Villa there would be a good number on here claiming he wasn't good enough for the current Liverpool team. He very clearly is obviously.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2022, 07:42 PM
I'd suggest that if a 27 year old Jordan Henderson was playing for Aston Villa there would be a good number on here claiming he wasn't good enough for the current Liverpool team. He very clearly is obviously.

You think McGinn gets anywhere near a midfield of Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago? No way.

flash
25-05-2022, 07:44 PM
You think McGinn gets anywhere near a midfield of Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago? No way.

Aye he does.

Fergus52
25-05-2022, 07:46 PM

Tbf though the backups are Keita who hasn't settled into English football, Chamberlain who can't stay fit and milner who is only getting older

Since90+2
25-05-2022, 07:46 PM

Henderson is a very good player, the fact is he doesn't play for Villa he's the captain of possibly the best team on the planet.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2022, 08:18 PM
Aye he does.

No, he absolutely doesn't. All 3 players are better than McGinn, especially Fabinho and Thiago. Well above. The bias for McGinn is unreal.

I absolutely love the guy. He is not world class.

LewysGot2
25-05-2022, 08:22 PM
SJM is a Liverpool fan. There’s a photo of him behind Brendan Rodgers dugout at a European tie at Anfield hinging over the wall - that’ll resurface if he moves to one or two clubs I can think of :greengrin

JammyDoidger
25-05-2022, 08:27 PM
No, he absolutely doesn't. All 3 players are better than McGinn, especially Fabinho and Thiago. Well above. The bias for McGinn is unreal.

McGinn gets in any squad in world football for me like. He's that good.

bigwheel
25-05-2022, 08:32 PM

He’s good at EPL level - but not great. Wouldn’t get a starting role for Liverpool or Man City

bingo70
25-05-2022, 08:33 PM

Liverpool play about 60 games a season, they’re not doing that with 3 central midfielders.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2022, 08:34 PM

Why has no one in 4 years at Villa made a bid, then? Because they went for Grealish, why not McGinn?

Love the guy but many, many better midfielders.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2022, 08:35 PM
Liverpool play about 60 games a season, they’re not doing that with 3 central midfielders.

Yes. And they still have never bid for McGinn. Because they don't need him.

alibaba
25-05-2022, 08:41 PM

Individually probably not but as part of a team he has the engine in midfield to break up play and an eye for a pass .
I think most teams would like that sort of player
Also got a good scoring record for Scotland

B.H.F.C
25-05-2022, 08:46 PM
Tbf though the backups are Keita who hasn't settled into English football, Chamberlain who can't stay fit and milner who is only getting older

This is the point IMO. He’s good enough to go to one of the big clubs. Might not be in their first pick team but he’d get more than his fair share of games with the number of games they play, injuries, suspensions etc.

Only thing for him is that, because of his age, it needs to happen now.

LeithMike
25-05-2022, 08:53 PM
McGinn gets in any squad in world football for me like. He's that good.Not good enough to be a defensive midfielder (6) and not good enough to be an attacking midfielder (10) but perfect box to box as an 8. Can't think of many who bring the energy John does to a team. That's a rare and precious commodity in today's game.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

cameronw-hfc
25-05-2022, 09:01 PM
I still massively doubt the UTD move, just can't see it happening. Spurs on the other hand, if they can pay the right fee, I assume working with Conte would be a massive pull for Mcginn.

cameronw-hfc
25-05-2022, 09:03 PM

He might not be a nailed on starter for even Villa next season if the transfer targets are to be believed. Apparently after another box to box CM, and between him and Ramsey id pick Ramsey for the other spot if it's between Mcginn and Ramsey.

He's very good, but he's not world class, at least yet. He has way too many anonymous games

loanheadhibby
25-05-2022, 09:10 PM
You're talking complete rubbish, listen to MWHibbies.
John is a very good player but nowhere near good enough for Liverpool.

SeanWilson
25-05-2022, 09:10 PM
He might not be a nailed on starter for even Villa next season if the transfer targets are to be believed. Apparently after another box to box CM, and between him and Ramsey id pick Ramsey for the other spot if it's between Mcginn and Ramsey.

He's very good, but he's not world class, at least yet. He has way too many anonymous games

Absolute pish. He has started every PL game bar 4 in two season. He’s a rolls Royce of a midfielder. Reminds me of Jordan Henderson with a bit more to his game. Does all the stuff that others won’t, allowing others to get in to the game.

cameronw-hfc
25-05-2022, 09:13 PM
Absolute pish. He has started every PL game bar 4 in two season. He’s a rolls Royce of a midfielder. Reminds me of Jordan Henderson with a bit more to his game. Does all the stuff that others won’t, allowing others to get in to the game.

I'm not saying I wouldn't, but if Gerrard brings in another CM, it'll be between him and Ramsey and he won't be starting weekly, unless the other CM is to cover Mcginn but we've been linked with Kalvin Phillips so highly doubt he's/or someone similar coming in to be back up.

Ramsey and Mcginn are about as good as each other, but Ramseys younger by a lot.

I'm still not sure what Gerrards plan is, he's said he's a huge fan, but is actively looking for players in Johns role, and has been since he came in.

Stubbsy90+2
25-05-2022, 09:23 PM
This is the point IMO. He’s good enough to go to one of the big clubs. Might not be in their first pick team but he’d get more than his fair share of games with the number of games they play, injuries, suspensions etc.

Only thing for him is that, because of his age, it needs to happen now.

Absolutely.

Keita has made 39 appearances this season. McGinn would most likely make similar.

Smartie
25-05-2022, 09:24 PM
You're talking complete rubbish, listen to MWHibbies.
John is a very good player but nowhere near good enough for Liverpool.

I’m sure someone will have said this about Andy Robertson at some point.

He’s not going to go and be their best player but he might go and be an essential squad player.

All of the best sides have had ordinary but reliable players of excellent character who have been integral parts of successful squads. He’s easily got what it takes to play that kind of role.

Willis1875
25-05-2022, 09:30 PM
I’m sure someone will have said this about Andy Robertson at some point.

He’s not going to go and be their best player but he might go and be an essential squad player.

All of the best sides have had ordinary but reliable players of excellent character who have been integral parts of successful squads. He’s easily got what it takes to play that kind of role.

He could likely take on the James Milner type of role at Liverpool

JimBHibees
25-05-2022, 09:36 PM

Absolutely could do that

Nicho87
25-05-2022, 10:00 PM
Charlie Adam not that long ago was on the books of Liverpool

Forza Fred
25-05-2022, 10:32 PM
Think talk of SJM moving to Man U or Spurs are just media stories to fill column inches.

I have never seen anything to support these claims, other than unattributed comments.

Love SJM but can’t see him being courted by the top six or so

King Cosell
25-05-2022, 10:45 PM
Think talk of SJM moving to Man U or Spurs are just media stories to fill column inches.

I have never seen anything to support these claims, other than unattributed comments.

Love SJM but can’t see him being courted by the top six or so

There's odds on Sky Bet:

Spurs 5/1
Arsenal & Man U 7/1
Dortmund 10/1
Leicester 12/1

Also a lot of Spurs fans on social media discussing it, most of them sound keen.

Since90+2
26-05-2022, 05:21 AM
Charlie Adam not that long ago was on the books of Liverpool

10 years ago, that's an age in footballing terms.

JammyDoidger
26-05-2022, 05:42 AM
Why has no one in 4 years at Villa made a bid, then? Because they went for Grealish, why not McGinn?

McGinn isn't as fashionable as Grealish, and he's not English he's scottish, Mcginn is one of the most complete midfielders in that league for me, he can do a bit of it everything and can do it all very well. He's a player any manager would love to manage as his attitude is also spot on. Deserves to step up. Head and shoulders above anything Arsenal have got, walks into Spurs and Man Utd for me, definitely would play games at Liverpool, bet not many thought Robertson would..interesting to see what he would be like in a team with much better players actually.

Since452
26-05-2022, 05:55 AM

Because Grealish is English, rolls his socks down and has a funny haircut. Actually quite like the guy. Seems a nice bloke but got to be the most overrated player in world football.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 06:11 AM
McGinn isn't as fashionable as Grealish, and he's not English he's scottish, Mcginn is one of the most complete midfielders in that league for me, he can do a bit of it everything and can do it all very well. He's a player any manager would love to manage as his attitude is also spot on. Deserves to step up. Head and shoulders above anything Arsenal have got, walks into Spurs and Man Utd for me, definitely would play games at Liverpool, bet not many thought Robertson would..interesting to see what he would be like in a team with much better players actually.

He's not head and shoulders above Thomas Partey. Partey is excellent when fit, a key player for arsenal and atletico before that. Martin Odegaard is much better and younger yoo.

Comments like that just show the bias. Mcginn is a good player. No one seems to be able to tell me why villa haven't had a single bid for him in 4 years, though. He's a brilliant grafer and ball winner and with the right manager could go up a level but he's not there now.

Callum_62
26-05-2022, 07:01 AM
He's not head and shoulders above Thomas Partey. Partey is excellent when fit, a key player for arsenal and atletico before that. Martin Odegaard is much better and younger yoo.

Comments like that just show the bias. Mcginn is a good player. No one seems to be able to tell me why villa haven't had a single bid for him in 4 years, though. He's a brilliant grafer and ball winner and with the right manager could go up a level but he's not there now.

How do you know there hasn't been interest?

Havnt villa given him 2 improved contracts since hes been down there -whos to say the latest 5 year deal he signed wasnt to fend off interest from elsewhere?

Since90+2
26-05-2022, 07:12 AM
Let's be honest here, if McGinn didn't have the Hibs link would folk be on here touting him for teams like Liverpool? Of course not, he's a good player but there is inherent bias because he's a Hibs legend.

Is he any better than Douglas Luiz for example? To me they look a similar standard and Luiz is nearly 4 years younger, has won the Olympics with Brazil and now plays for the full Brazilian team.

flash
26-05-2022, 07:24 AM

He also scores goals and hits amazing passes.

J-C
26-05-2022, 07:36 AM
The tv pundits rave about McGinn almost every week, he stands out in a decent Villa team and would improve Spurs or Man U.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 09:02 AM
How do you know there hasn't been interest?

Havnt villa given him 2 improved contracts since hes been down there -whos to say the latest 5 year deal he signed wasnt to fend off interest from elsewhere?

Fair enough. There hasn't been any genuine reported interest. Villa renewed his deal because he's a good player and vital for them, not because Real Madrid were after him.

bingo70
26-05-2022, 09:33 AM
Let's be honest here, if McGinn didn't have the Hibs link would folk be on here touting him for teams like Liverpool? Of course not, he's a good player but there is inherent bias because he's a Hibs legend.

Is he any better than Douglas Luiz for example? To me they look a similar standard and Luiz is nearly 4 years younger, has won the Olympics with Brazil and now plays for the full Brazilian team.

I’m no expert on Villa but I read that statistically he is better than every other midfielder at the club, which would include Luiz, I suspect he’s also played more minutes than Luiz although that may not be the case.

I would suggest that your argument is actually true in reverse as well though, if McGinn was Brazilian and had an exotic name, people would be raving about him more than they are and valuing him higher.

Diclonius
26-05-2022, 09:40 AM
If McGinn was English he'd be worth ~£80-90 million.

jacomo
26-05-2022, 09:41 AM

I think Milner and Henderson are the reasons why Liverpool have not gone for SJM.

As others have said, a good team is not 11 players called Grealish. SJM brings energy and character to any team, and all teams need that.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 02:45 PM
I think Milner and Henderson are the reasons why Liverpool have not gone for SJM.

As others have said, a good team is not 11 players called Grealish. SJM brings energy and character to any team, and all teams need that.

He's not the type of signing Liverpool make at all. The kind of guys they've spent that kind of money on are top 3 or 4 in their position, like van dijk and Allison.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 02:53 PM
Fair enough. There hasn't been any genuine reported interest. Villa renewed his deal because he's a good player and vital for them, not because Real Madrid were after him.

I think SJM signed a 5 year contract on circa £25k a week basic, but it was improved half way through because of interest from other clubs, one of whom was said to be Liverpool.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 02:56 PM

Google John McGinn Liverpool and you'll see why people on here are linking him with Liverpool.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 02:57 PM
I think SJM signed a 5 year contract on circa £25k a week basic, but it was improved half way through because of interest from other clubs, one of whom was said to be Liverpool.

Or was it improved because that is nothing for a key player at a big premier League club?

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 02:59 PM
Or was it improved because that is nothing for a key player at a big premier League club?

Do clubs often have pangs of conscience that their agreed contract is actually too low and shell out more?

Liverpool were linked with McGinn.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 03:01 PM
This is from last June.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/436802-liverpool-hold-a-very-real-interest-in-john-mcginn

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 03:02 PM
Do clubs often have pangs of conscience that their agreed contract is actually too low and shell out more?

I see daily mail and express articles? Surely you don't rate those as sources? Rubbish clickbait articles based on nothing.

One Day Soon
26-05-2022, 03:03 PM

:tee hee: There's barely a week goes by that some Premier club or another isn't spontaneously upping the the wage packet of one of their players for no reason other than they feel a bit bad about how little they're paying them.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 03:04 PM
I see daily mail and express articles? Surely you don't rate those as sources? Rubbish clickbait articles based on nothing.

Of course.

The LiverpoolFC.com took it seriously.

The Mail also got the Grealish story right though, and the price.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 03:05 PM
:tee hee: There's barely a week goes by that some Premier club or another isn't spontaneously upping the the wage packet of one of their players for no reason other than they feel a bit bad about how little they're paying them.

Mbappe will be getting a wee lift before Christmas, no doubt.

MagicSwirlingShip
26-05-2022, 03:07 PM
He's not the type of signing Liverpool make at all. The kind of guys they've spent that kind of money on are top 3 or 4 in their position, like van dijk and Allison.

Well that’s just not true.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/28/1

StarryPloughHSC
26-05-2022, 03:12 PM
If McGinn was English he'd be worth ~£80-90 million.

correct

Since90+2
26-05-2022, 03:24 PM
correct

Conversely, if he was English and had never played for Hibs he'd not be as highly rated as he is on here.

Broken Gnome
26-05-2022, 03:32 PM
I read something on the Birmingham Live site today mapping out a 'dream' Villa side for next season if they were to sign realistic transfer targets - Bissouka from Brighton being one.

Even with that addition and the new French guy, he was still named in the ideal first eleven.

StarryPloughHSC
26-05-2022, 03:35 PM
Conversely, if he was English and had never played for Hibs he'd not be as highly rated as he is on here.

probably so but when goons like mcguire are being priced at 80 millon it's only fair that mcginn is sold for double that

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 03:42 PM
This is from last June.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/436802-liverpool-hold-a-very-real-interest-in-john-mcginn

In a bit called media watch, from a mail article. Thats a dreadful source. I'm talking about actual journalists that actually know things. This is clickbait rubbish.

Well that’s just not true.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/28/1

Who there do you think is comparable to them shelling out what Villa would likely want for McGinn? Maybe Keita, no one else. Others that they have spent big on are among the best players in the world.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 04:15 PM
In a bit called media watch, from a mail article. Thats a dreadful source. I'm talking about actual journalists that actually know things. This is clickbait rubbish.

Who there do you think is comparable to them shelling out what Villa would likely want for McGinn? Maybe Keita, no one else. Others that they have spent big on are among the best players in the world.

You're dissing the reports because they counter your opinion, but whether you believe the reports or not, it's a fact that he was linked with Liverpool, even if you don't like who linked him. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. I don't understand why you feel the need to argue with every single post which doesn't agree with your view. You could be wrong you know.

I don't know if he's good enough to play for Liverpool, I don't know if the interest was strong or if it progressed, and I don't know how much Villa would want for him or what Liverpool might pay, but it wasn't just because he played for Hibs that people think he's that standard of player. Clearly, at least some folk with no Hibs conections think so too.

Edit: I should add, the interest from Liverpool story originated in The Athletic which is a very credible publication.

LancsHibs
26-05-2022, 04:18 PM
Get him sold Villa, can’t hold the lad back forever!😁

MagicSwirlingShip
26-05-2022, 04:33 PM

Klopp has signed many players who weren’t the “best players in the world” at the point of signing. Salah is one. Robertson another. Wijnaldum another. Mane another. Diaz and Jota more recently for a combined £95m.

Like you’ve mentioned Keita has been one that seems really overpriced in hindsight. Hasn’t really consistently turned it on for Liverpool. Would make sense to look for a high performer in the Premier league than another relative risk from a Euro side

If any Champions League team came in for Mcginn, and he wanted to leave, history tells us he will go. Villa finished 14th. I can see him wanting to kick on an test himself at the highest level.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-05-2022, 04:45 PM
You're dissing the reports because they counter your opinion, but whether you believe the reports or not, it's a fact that he was linked with Liverpool, even if you don't like who linked him. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. I don't understand why you feel the need to argue with every single post which doesn't agree with your view. You could be wrong you know.

I don't know if he's good enough to play for Liverpool, I don't know if the interest was strong or if it progressed, and I don't know how much Villa would want for him orphan Liverpool might pay, but it wasn't just because he played for Hibs that people think he's that standard of player. Clearly, at least some folk with no Hibs conections think so too.

Edit: I should add, the interest from Liverpool story originated in The Athletic which is a very credible publication.

Amen

cameronw-hfc
26-05-2022, 04:52 PM
He also scores goals and hits amazing passes.

If you mean Mcginn? No he doesn't. Not in the Prem anyway.

He does for Scotland but he's usually used as a #8 for Villa and his goal scoring in the prem has been pretty awful.

Bridge hibs
26-05-2022, 06:07 PM
If you mean Mcginn? No he doesn't. Not in the Prem anyway.

He does for Scotland but he's usually used as a #8 for Villa and his goal scoring in the prem has been pretty awful.He hits amazing passes though

cameronw-hfc
26-05-2022, 06:13 PM
He hits amazing passes though

As do the rest of Villas midfield. And passing is one of Johns more inconsistent parts of his game. Sometimes he's hitting beauties, sometimes he can't pass 10 yards. It's something he's improved under Gerrard so far.

147lothian
26-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Klopp has signed many players who weren’t the “best players in the world” at the point of signing. Salah is one. Robertson another. Wijnaldum another. Mane another. Diaz and Jota more recently for a combined £95m.

Like you’ve mentioned Keita has been one that seems really overpriced in hindsight. Hasn’t really consistently turned it on for Liverpool. Would make sense to look for a high performer in the Premier league than another relative risk from a Euro side

If any Champions League team came in for Mcginn, and he wanted to leave, history tells us he will go. Villa finished 14th. I can see him wanting to kick on an test himself at the highest level.

Some good points well said here, I would just like to add IMO the Liverpool are world class in defense and up front, but the weakest part of their team is midfield, that's not to say I think their midfield is bad it's just not of the caliber of Man City's, McGinn would be a very shrewd signing for me and I don't think it's unrealistic for a top club like Liverpool to go for John McGinn.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 08:04 PM

Notice though not a single one of those players cost more than they were worth. Mcginn would cost a lot because Villa are rich, he probably wouldn't force a move and he's got a long contract. Liverpool would get a better player for cheaper, as they've done consistently recently.

Mcginn could end up at a bigger club, but Liverpool are not going to be it. It's not the type of transfer they have done at all.

blackpoolhibs
26-05-2022, 08:26 PM
What i wouldnt give for SJM to sign for Liverpool.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2022, 08:30 PM
What i wouldnt give for SJM to sign for Liverpool.

I'd be absolutely delighted too. For John and Hibs. I'm sure many would be just as delighted to rub it in my face.

I just do not think it will happen.

Big_Franck
26-05-2022, 08:45 PM
John McGinn could easily play for Liverpool. If they were to swap James Milner for John McGinn this summer their squad would be stronger.

Just_Jimmy
26-05-2022, 08:54 PM
Hibs got absolutely mugged in the mcginn deal and it'll probably never get any better than it already has.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
26-05-2022, 08:55 PM
John McGinn could easily play for Liverpool. If they were to swap James Milner for John McGinn this summer their squad would be stronger.

Clearly

Hibbyradge
26-05-2022, 09:00 PM
Hibs got absolutely mugged in the mcginn deal and it'll probably never get any better than it already has.

Villa got a great player for not a huge outlay, but we weren't mugged.

We got the maximum we could at that time. The only other team interested was Celtc and their bid was much lower, iirc.

Hibees1973
26-05-2022, 09:23 PM
For Hibs to get a big fee (£5M+), McGinn would probably have to sign for one of the big 6 down south. He doesn't seem to me the kind of player who would interest a Spanish/German/Italian side. There doesn't seem to be much publicised interest in McGinn from abroad anyway.

McGinn could fit into the squads of Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. He is not a Pep signing and I feel he is not the kind of player Man Utd or Chelsea will be looking for in the summer. Utd have a new manager probably looking to the continent and South America for players with Chelsea not able to sign anyone at present. The only club outside the big 6 who could buy McGinn are Newcastle United. I think this would be a good fit for him, but this is just my guess.

Much as everyone on here is touting figures of £50m plus, I don't see McGinn going for as much as this. He is good, but no where near £70-£80m. What no one has mentioned on here is that the clock is ticking on Hibs getting a share of any McGinn transfer money. McGinn is 28 later this year and if he is not sold by Villa this summer we can probably wave goodbye to a sizeable sum of money which would enable us to rejuvenate our squad properly.

Villa have been active in the transfer market already. They have had 3-4 great years out of McGinn and may look to cash-in on him when he his now probably at his peak value. Because of his age, his transfer value is likely only to go down from this summer onwards.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2022, 11:32 PM
So much for the rumours about Gerrard moving him on, has now made him captain.

SteveHFC
27-07-2022, 11:43 PM

Many Villa fans not happy with the news.

LustForLeith
28-07-2022, 04:59 AM

What’s the difference between capital and club captain?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62326887

Do we have a captain and a club captain?

MWHIBBIES
28-07-2022, 05:21 AM
What’s the difference between capital and club captain?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62326887

Do we have a captain and a club captain?

Club captain will do the PR stuff, attend events etc. Mcginn will be captain of the team.

jacomo
28-07-2022, 01:07 PM
Many Villa fans not happy with the news.

If you referring to the Twitter comments, I don’t think they are representative of the fanbase at large.

I know a few Villans and they all love him.

greenginger
28-07-2022, 01:18 PM

I think Grealish was captain before he was sold to City.

heretoday
28-07-2022, 01:55 PM
So that makes it less likely we are going to get any dosh out of him for a while I suppose.

nonshinyfinish
28-07-2022, 01:59 PM
I think Grealish was captain before he was sold to City.

According to Wiki he was captain from March 2019 (and joined City in summer 2021).

It doesn't mean McGinn definitely won't move on, but it would be an odd thing to do if Villa were expecting to sell him this summer.

hhibs
28-07-2022, 02:05 PM
I just wonder if John is getting paid at the market rate

I know he will be on big money but for him the clock is also ticking regarding a big move.

MWHIBBIES
28-07-2022, 02:28 PM
If you referring to the Twitter comments, I don’t think they are representative of the fanbase at large.

I know a few Villans and they all love him.

I mean, it's not just Twitter. Seems a pretty general consensus across the villa fans on the internet that they wouldn't actually have him as a nailed on starter next season, never mind captain.

It's definitely fair to say the big move just isn't happening. He's not the world class player folk on here believe.

danhibees1875
28-07-2022, 02:42 PM
I just wonder if John is getting paid at the market rate

I know he will be on big money but for him the clock is also ticking regarding a big move.

He signed a new contract when villa were promoted, I'm not sure if he's signed another since then or not but he's getting paid as a premiership player rather than the championship one he moved to become.

I don't think he'll make an upwards move again in his career and I don't think his bank balance will be too bothered by that either.

loanheadhibby
28-07-2022, 03:53 PM

Very good player but not good enough to be anywhere near Liverpool's 1st X1.

cameronw-hfc
28-07-2022, 04:35 PM
I mean, it's not just Twitter. HuhSeems a pretty general consensus across the villa fans on the internet that they wouldn't actually have him as a nailed on starter next season, never mind captain.

It's definitely fair to say the big move just isn't happening. He's not the world class player folk on here believe.

I'm a Villa fan and love him, but he's not a nailed on starter so it's a strange one. For 2/3 roles in the team there's Ramsay, Mcginn, Luiz, Kamara, Sanson and Nakamba, Coutinho and possibly Buemdia in there too. If we play a 4231 it'll be Kamara and someone, that someone I thought would be Ramsay. If it's a 433 it'll be Kamara, Mcginn and Ramsay but yeah, he's the captain but it's strange as his place is up for grabs this season, something it's never been before.

Kato
28-07-2022, 06:10 PM
Is there a clause for a specific number of appearances? That contract was pretty tight given the low fee.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
28-07-2022, 06:14 PM
He’ll be starting every week if fit and will be a good captain. Good luck to him.

Smartie
28-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Is there a clause for a specific number of appearances? That contract was pretty tight given the low fee.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I'm sure I remember hearing that every clause that may have included some sort of payment to Hibs has now been activated and paid - other than a sell on clause.

Allant1981
28-07-2022, 06:18 PM
I'm a Villa fan and love him, but he's not a nailed on starter so it's a strange one. For 2/3 roles in the team there's Ramsay, Mcginn, Luiz, Kamara, Sanson and Nakamba, Coutinho and possibly Buemdia in there too. If we play a 4231 it'll be Kamara and someone, that someone I thought would be Ramsay. If it's a 433 it'll be Kamara, Mcginn and Ramsay but yeah, he's the captain but it's strange as his place is up for grabs this season, something it's never been before.

Pretty sure they wouldnt have just made him captain if he wasnt going to start

cameronw-hfc
28-07-2022, 06:31 PM
Pretty sure they wouldnt have just made him captain if he wasnt going to start

He will start plenty, I just meant the reaction from the fans is probably more due to this being the first season he's got real competition for his place. Last few seasons he's been the only option and has been a nailed on starter, this season his position has more players vying for it, so some didn't think he'd be a nailed on starter, hence the reaction from some Villa fans.

I've said on here before and got rubbished, whilst I'm not one, there is a section of the Villa support that don't rate John. I do, I think hes an integral part of the side and delighted hes been made captian. I was meaning more as to how some of the other fans have seen it, the section that don't rate him are piping up, and there's another section of the fans that thought he'd have a more limited role this year so there's some confusion there but as I said, personally I'm delighted and it defo shows he'll play when fit, but was trying to give a less green tinted hibs perspective from someone that's pretty well up to date with a lot of villa fans, being one and having a lot of Villa supporting friends.

Since90+2
28-07-2022, 06:35 PM
Very good player but not good enough to be anywhere near Liverpool's 1st X1.

That's not quite the point he was making.

loanheadhibby
28-07-2022, 09:17 PM
That's not quite the point he was making.

The poster stated he could easily play for Liverpool.
I don't think he's good enough to do that.
What point was he tying to make?

Hibrandenburg
06-11-2022, 03:02 PM
Why has he fallen out of favour with Villa's new manager? He's started the last 3 games on the bench.

JimBHibees
06-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Why has he fallen out of favour with Villa's new manager? He's started the last 3 games on the bench.

Think this was Emerys first game.

B.H.F.C
06-11-2022, 03:05 PM

The Villa fans had been wanting him dropped for ages. Form not been good.

bigwheel
06-11-2022, 03:09 PM

They dropped him after Gerrard was emptied. And not sure they’ve lost since. Won at least 2 out of 3

danhibees1875
06-11-2022, 03:23 PM
The Villa fans had been wanting him dropped for ages. Form not been good.

He's been sitting pretty deep whenever I've seen villa play and generally just wasn't involved in doing anything good.

He seemed to have fallen out of favour with the fans as you say, but Gerard obviously liked him (captain). Villa have since went on a much improved little run of form - that's not necessarily a result of dropping McGinn, but I imagine it'll make it harder for him to get back into the team. Be interesting to see what the future holds for him in the summer.

smack
06-11-2022, 03:24 PM
Hope he spits the dummy and puts in a transfer request. He needs to leave villa for us to get any more money for him

He's here!
06-11-2022, 03:43 PM

I assume the new manager likes the look of the team better without him. Results would seem to vindicate the decision to drop him.

OstKurve Hibs
06-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Hope he spits the dummy and puts in a transfer request. He needs to leave villa for us to get any more money for him

No chance he will do that, hes a model pro not a whiney gimp like a lot of "pro's" these days. He will fight to get back in the team.
I'm sure if he keeps on not gettin much game time there other clubs will notice and come in with bids tho.

Just_Jimmy
06-11-2022, 04:09 PM
We'll not get a penny more for mcginn. I said at the time it was a **** deal cos we undersold. Stand by it.

Forza Fred
07-11-2022, 03:49 AM

If you go the Villa fans forum you will see he has also fallen out of favour with majority of fans who post on it too.

Wouldn’t surprise me if SJM is moved on at the end of the season if Villa stay up, and it won’t be for anything like the 30 to 50 million we see thrown about.

Football is a pretty unforgiving workplace.

KeithTheHibby
07-11-2022, 06:16 AM
He seems to play so deep for Villa. He’s clearly been told to do that which stifles his game. When you see him for Scotland he definitely plays with more freedom in a far more advanced role, the amount of goals he’s scored tells you that.

BT58
07-11-2022, 07:44 AM
Watching the game yesterday, Villa fans were singing his song and applauding his efforts. Could be the captaincy was holding him back. The new manager brought back a few players who have been out of favor under SG.
B

chippy
07-11-2022, 08:53 AM
If you go the Villa fans forum you will see he has also fallen out of favour with majority of fans who post on it too.

Wouldn’t surprise me if SJM is moved on at the end of the season if Villa stay up, and it won’t be for anything like the 30 to 50 million we see thrown about.

He’ll be off to Celtic if they want him

OstKurve Hibs
07-11-2022, 08:57 AM
We'll not get a penny more for mcginn. I said at the time it was a **** deal cos we undersold. Stand by it.

Didmt he have 6 months left on his contract with us ? Not exactly a great bargaining tool for more money is it.

danhibees1875
07-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Didmt he have 6 months left on his contract with us ? Not exactly a great bargaining tool for more money is it.

Maybe a full year? 6 months until he was bosman-able.

I think we got a reasonable deal for him, hasn't all came to fruition though as he's lasted at villa longer than planned.

Since452
07-11-2022, 09:23 AM

More likely to make a bit of coin from Doig rather than McGinn now.

Mcbizz1998
07-11-2022, 09:52 AM
He’ll be off to Celtic if they want him

Would be pretty astonished if that happened. Plenty of clubs in England will want him, and in the Premiership.

Would show a severe lack of ambition if he came back to Scotland, don’t see him doing that.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 10:52 AM

Bizarrely, I think this gives us a better chance of making an extra few quid on him.

The chance of a £50m bid from Man Utd as previously rumoured has probably gone. But if Villa decide they want to move him on he’ll easily get another team down there and 20 odd million or so is completely realistic in the market down there.

cameronw-hfc
07-11-2022, 10:59 AM

He's been, to put it nicely, poor recently. It's been a long time coming, team looking so much better without him atm. He'll get back in, it's the first time he's been dropped in about 3 years, and he was looking like he needed a spell out.

cameronw-hfc
07-11-2022, 11:00 AM
He seems to play so deep for Villa. He’s clearly been told to do that which stifles his game. When you see him for Scotland he definitely plays with more freedom in a far more advanced role, the amount of goals he’s scored tells you that.

He's played higher up and been just as bad, it's not where he plays, he's just in a bad run of form, albeit really, really bad. It happens

Brummie_Hibs
07-11-2022, 11:05 AM
He was great for Scotland in September, so he hasn't lost form.

The manager's haven't played him to his strengths.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 11:11 AM

Exactly.

He'd still command a very significant fee.

MWHIBBIES
07-11-2022, 11:13 AM
Bizarrely, I think this gives us a better chance of making an extra few quid on him.

The chance of a £50m bid from Man Utd as previously rumoured has probably gone. But if Villa decide they want to move him on he’ll easily get another team down there and 20 odd million or so is completely realistic in the market down there.

Let's be honest, it wasn't happening anyway. Mcginn is/was a solid premier league player, but real world class ones like Thomas Partey and Bruno Guimares were available for less.

Cardinal G
07-11-2022, 02:06 PM

I feel at Villa he is made to play a defensive/holding role, as we all know his strengths see him in a more attacking role as we have seen at Hibs and now for Scotland.

raeburnhibs
07-11-2022, 02:11 PM

Yup, so unforgiving that he is probably on 40-50k per week. He may move on and will get a club elsewhere on not quite so much money and not quite as prestigious and so on until he moves to Celtic in 2 or 3 years

JimBHibees
07-11-2022, 02:33 PM
He's been, to put it nicely, poor recently. It's been a long time coming, team looking so much better without him atm. He'll get back in, it's the first time he's been dropped in about 3 years, and he was looking like he needed a spell out.

I wonder if he really wanted to be captain bit of a call by Gerrard which maybe didn't sit well with him as think Mings was captain previously. Always thought it strange Dendonker not getting a start as always thought he was very good. John will be back might not be a bad thing to have a few weeks out the limelight.

HoboHarry
07-11-2022, 04:04 PM

Generally speaking, fans forums aren't to be taken seriously about the abilities of a player. Pretty much s***e/waste of a jersey to worth 40M with no other opinions in between.

Lago
07-11-2022, 04:30 PM
Generally speaking, fans forums aren't to be taken seriously about the abilities of a player. Pretty much s***e/waste of a jersey to worth 40M with no other opinions in between.
Yip we see it on here every day of the week

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 04:39 PM
More likely to make a bit of coin from Doig rather than McGinn now.

Even if McGinn is sold for £10m it would be a nice windfall for Hibs.

danhibees1875
07-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Would be pretty astonished if that happened. Plenty of clubs in England will want him, and in the Premiership.

Would show a severe lack of ambition if he came back to Scotland, don’t see him doing that.

Would it? Lack of ambition to do what?

If he has ambitions to win trophies, and play in the champions league then it's a good move (one of two available). Closer to family and probably a comparable enough wage to what he'd get in the English second tier.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 08:41 PM

If he has ambitions to win trophies, and play in the champions league then it's a good move (one of two available). Closer to family and probably a comparable enough wage to what he'd get in the English second tier.

I doubt very much that SJM will be playing at championship level for several years, if ever, but I don't think Celtic could match what he would command in wages, even if it was with a championship team.

cameronw-hfc
07-11-2022, 09:33 PM

Disagree. I see him weekly as a Villa fan, and as a Hibby also I would say I'm bias towards John, although there's no defending him atm for Villa. He's been used in a 6,8 and 10 for Villa and hasn't looked close to the player we know he can be for about a year now.

He's 150% lost form, he's easily in the worst form of his whole career right now, he just doesn't show it for Scotland. Similar to Bale in recent years I guess, but Mcginn has defo been shocking in the 10 as well as deeper for Villa.

shetlandhibee
07-11-2022, 11:22 PM
I doubt very much that SJM will be playing at championship level for several years, if ever, but I don't think Celtic could match what he would command in wages, even if it was with a championship team.
this 100% :top marks

JamesHFC
07-11-2022, 11:28 PM
Disagree. I see him weekly as a Villa fan, and as a Hibby also I would say I'm bias towards John, although there's no defending him atm for Villa. He's been used in a 6,8 and 10 for Villa and hasn't looked close to the player we know he can be for about a year now.

He's 150% lost form, he's easily in the worst form of his whole career right now, he just doesn't show it for Scotland. Similar to Bale in recent years I guess, but Mcginn has defo been shocking in the 10 as well as deeper for Villa.

Harsh on Bale comparing him to McGinn. He won another title the other day.

Forza Fred
08-11-2022, 02:21 AM

What!.

After being on here for years I take everything everybody says as gospel!

Agree that people are more likely to post negative post about a player than a positive one, but the sheer volume of posters who like him, but just don’t think he is good enough, is an indication at least, of the general view.

danhibees1875
08-11-2022, 06:14 AM

Will someone in the premiership buy him off Villa when he isn't producing for/getting into their XI?
Seems to me like he'd be more of an asset to a championship team seeking promotion.

Maybe I'm not up to speed with wages of each, but I'd have thought Celtic would/could offer ballpark what a championship team would/could offer.

LeithMike
08-11-2022, 06:41 AM

Interesting. I don’t SJM has the skillset to play as a #10 and doesn’t have the goalscoring rerun either. He does well for Scotland further forward but the opposition isn’t at the level he faces in the Premier League. I think we all know even in the Hibs team role somebody like Scott Allan was far more suited to the creative role.

He could probably make a fair go of the #6 role but again his passing is probably not the greatest and he can’t spin out of trouble like ethe way McGeouch did. I think he’d make a good #6 at Celtic in the same way as Scott Brown did and could boss games against lesser opposition.

That takes away the best part of his game which is his drive and mobility. He’s a really good #8 and has a lot to offer there although sometimes his touch isn’t always there. I think he’s been damaged by Gerrard’s formations which have been very defensive and you can see the same impact on guys like Buendia and Bailey who are now starting to shine with the shackles off.

Hopefully the new manager gets SJM back to his best but he’s also getting towards 30 and had a few injuries and it’s hard to play the #8 effectively into your 30s and most end up transitioning into a #6. I think SJM might struggle doing that but he should have a couple of years at the top level as a #8 but needs a manager to just let him play his game and cover the whole pitch with the appropriate supporting players. I still think he’d improve Liverpool’s midfield but I wouldn’t be investing big money in him.

hibsfan7
08-11-2022, 08:06 AM
Look celtic would not pay the £3 million for him so there is not chance they would pay £50 million or more for him the biscuit tin does not have that much in it

Mcbizz1998
08-11-2022, 08:17 AM

Why would he go to the second tier?

It would lack ambition to go to Celtic instead of playing in the EPL, which is where he will stay even after he leaves Villa.

Sure he can come and be a big fish in a small pond, win some trophies and get pumped in the Champions League every year if that’s what he wants to do but I would regard that as lacking ambition considering where he is. As for being near his family, who? His parents?

Yorkshire HFC
08-11-2022, 08:30 AM
Why would he go to the second tier?

It would lack ambition to go to Celtic instead of playing in the EPL, which is where he will stay even after he leaves Villa.

Sure he can come and be a big fish in a small pond, win some trophies and get pumped in the Champions League every year if that’s what he wants to do but I would regard that as lacking ambition considering where he is. As for being near his family, who? His parents?

I've never understood the feeling that playing for the Old Firm shows a lack of ambition - you have to be pretty good to get a game there - that's why one of them scores 4 / 5 goals most weeks. And I'm sure it's a better experience than battling relegation.

Mcbizz1998
08-11-2022, 08:36 AM
I've never understood the feeling that playing for the Old Firm shows a lack of ambition - you have to be pretty good to get a game there - that's why one of them scores 4 / 5 goals most weeks. And I'm sure it's a better experience than battling relegation.

Of course you have to be good but they only score 4/5 goals because of the standard in the rest of the league.

In Scotland you are playing against poorer opposition, in poorer stadiums, for less money, with less exposure.

It’s a step down from playing for any English Prem side. Hence why most decent Old Firm player jump at the first chance to get to the EPL.

WeeRussell
08-11-2022, 09:19 AM
Of course you have to be good but they only score 4/5 goals because of the standard in the rest of the league.

In Scotland you are playing against poorer opposition, in poorer stadiums, for less money, with less exposure.

It’s a step down from playing for any English Prem side. Hence why most decent Old Firm player jump at the first chance to get to the EPL.

Do you think Ryan Christie is now a step-up from playing for Celtic and starting regularly for Scotland?

easty
08-11-2022, 09:24 AM
Do you think Ryan Christie is now a step-up from playing for Celtic and starting regularly for Scotland?

Nah, but he moved to the championship to join Bournemouth. It was a clear step down.

Edouard to Palace is a step up in my opinion.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Nah, but he moved to the championship to join Bournemouth. It was a clear step down.

Edouard to Palace is a step up in my opinion.

I'll bet you going to Bournemouth was a big step up in salary, championship club at the time or not.

shetlandhibee
08-11-2022, 09:49 AM
I'll bet you going to Bournemouth was a big step up in salary, championship club at the time or not.

That’s what it boils to to IMO get double or at the least half as much again in wages over x amount of years is what players strive to achieve 👌👍