PDA

View Full Version : Your deepest confession as a Hibby

Northernhibee
21-05-2022, 09:06 PM
What views do you hold that would see you labelled as a yam and get a LTYF faster than HC on a Paul Hanlon appreciation thread? What's the least Hibby opinion, action or trait that you have? Time to let it out and look for redemption from the wider Hibs community.

Here's mines: Much as I love taking the Michael out of him, much as he's a pantomime villain - I think Craig Levein is a genuinely funny man and would be my choice for "Jambo I'd most like a pint with". Think he plays up the role of pantomime villain perfectly and is really funny on Sacked in the Morning with plenty good banter and self deprecating humour. I'll never also not find it funny that he had a chance to win the league but quite literally shat it. I do like the guy.

What's yours?

matty_f
21-05-2022, 09:08 PM
What views do you hold that would see you labelled as a yam and get a LTYF faster than HC on a Paul Hanlon appreciation thread? What's the least Hibby opinion, action or trait that you have? Time to let it out and look for redemption from the wider Hibs community.

Here's mines: Much as I love taking the Michael out of him, much as he's a pantomime villain - I think Craig Levein is a genuinely funny man and would be my choice for "Jambo I'd most like a pint with". Think he plays up the role of pantomime villain perfectly and is really funny on Sacked in the Morning with plenty good banter and self deprecating humour. I'll never also not find it funny that he had a chance to win the league but quite literally shat it. I do like the guy.

What's yours?
I agree about Levein. I’m sorry.

Pagan Hibernia
21-05-2022, 09:08 PM
I like cardigans

and my dad once owned a rover

Northernhibee
21-05-2022, 09:09 PM
I agree about Levein. I’m sorry.

Shall we start a support group or helpline?

heidtheba
21-05-2022, 09:12 PM

What's yours?

OK, a serious one here. I really wanted them to with the 2013/14 League Cup. My mate's dad was a Hertz ST holder and had a heart attack when sitting in his car after an early round in that competition. Wanted it for him and his son.
I also wanted Hearts to win today. All the people I actually know who are hearts fans are good people and support their team. With two exceptions, all the The Rangers fans I know are utter fandans (and some of them are family). I'd want us to beat Hearts, no doubt, but if we're not in it (and now that we're away from that massively over inflated cash situation), I don't mind them as much. They're our rivals, but the 2006-2012 period was really really annoying. Skacel, Black and players they wouldn't have afforded.

And finally. I once met Craig Gordon in the park walking our dogs. Genuinely nice bloke, we talked 'dogs' and not 'football'. Was just a decent and polite guy out with his girls and his dog. I like how he came back from almost losing his career.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2022, 09:12 PM
About 30 years ago I owned a maroon C17 baseball jacket, it was very smart. IIRC I bought it in a shop on Shandwick Place which is long gone.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 09:14 PM
I can't confess it it on a family forum and without the attendance of a priest. She was some lassie, though, and it was some night. I was only young.....

oneone73
21-05-2022, 09:14 PM
I'm married to a Jambo. She's ok.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2022, 09:15 PM
OK, a serious one here. I really wanted them to with the 2013/14 League Cup. My mate's dad was a Hertz ST holder and had a heart attack when sitting in his car after an early round in that competition. Wanted it for him and his son.
I also wanted Hearts to win today. All the people I actually know who are hearts fans are good people and support their team. With two exceptions, all the The Rangers fans I know are utter fandans (and some of them are family). I'd want us to beat Hearts, no doubt, but if we're not in it (and now that we're away from that massively over inflated cash situation), I don't mind them as much. They're our rivals, but the 2006-2012 period was really really annoying. Skacel, Black and players they wouldn't have afforded.

And finally. I once met Craig Gordon in the park walking our dogs. Genuinely nice bloke, we talked 'dogs' and not 'football'. Was just a decent and polite guy out with his girls and his dog. I like how he came back from almost losing his career.

Why was he walking your dogs? 🤔

Lancs Harp
21-05-2022, 09:15 PM
I can't confess it it on a family forum and without the attendance of a priest. She was some lassie, though, and it was some night. I was only young.....

You were 10 and she was 37?

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 09:17 PM
You were 10 and she was 37?

Nothing as bad as that :greengrin

Since452
21-05-2022, 09:19 PM
I really don't think I laughed hard enough at their last relegation. Really don't think three weeks was enough and still feel a bit guilty about it.

heidtheba
21-05-2022, 09:20 PM
Why was he walking your dogs? 🤔

Ah. He had his. I had mine. Brain not functioning so well up here this evening!

Frazerbob
21-05-2022, 09:23 PM

What's yours?

Levein is now very self deprecating and laughs at himself for winning nothing and the 4-6-0 debacle. My confession? I don't hate Rudi Skacel, I think he was a good player and even better pantomime villain.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 09:25 PM
Levein is now very self deprecating and laughs at himself for winning nothing and the 4-6-0 debacle. My confession? I don't hate Rudi Skacel, I think he was a good player and even better pantomime villain.

Immediately reported.

Lancs Harp
21-05-2022, 09:30 PM
Ive seen quite a few interviews etc with CL come up on my facebook. To be honest I think hes quite funny he has more than a few amusing football anicdotes.

Jones28
21-05-2022, 09:37 PM
I suit maroon. My face fits a maroon top.

Grandad is a jambo which could explain it.

DaveF
21-05-2022, 09:38 PM
My face fits a maroon top.

That's not a confession, it's a problem only plastic surgery can fix.

McSwanky
21-05-2022, 09:39 PM
Honestly can't think of one thing. Not one.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 09:41 PM
Honestly can't think of one thing. Not one.

Staunch :flag::greengrin

Jones28
21-05-2022, 09:43 PM
That's not a confession, it's a problem only plastic surgery can fix.

If you front the money, I’ll make it happen 😂

If there’s any mitigation my 3 year old daughter suits the full kit like it was meant to be.

ekhibee
21-05-2022, 09:43 PM
I very nearly started watching "highlights" of today's Scottish Cup final, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 2 teams that I detest. It seems like it was a pish game anyway.

I'm_cabbaged
21-05-2022, 09:44 PM
So drunk I can’t even focus on some of the replies; but **** them, hertz barstewads

Alex Trager
21-05-2022, 09:47 PM
I really don't think I laughed hard enough at their last relegation. Really don't think three weeks was enough and still feel a bit guilty about it.

Must say I feel the same.

The ballox I’ve had from this lot this season has really reminded me of how billy big time they can get.

I am currently delighted that they have lost yet another final. I make that:

L - SM LC final
- Hibs win SC 2016
L - SC Celtic 2019 (normal time)
L - SC Celtic 2020 (pens)
L - SC Huns 2022 (Extra Time).

Big teams lose four finals in a row

Scottie
My old man my best mate is 92 this year and has followed Hearts for over 85 years. Tynecastle one week ER the next. Took me to ER every time he could and sat on his hands when we played them in derbies. Sat in the Hibs end when they beat us in 2012 and said nothing and sat with me at the 2016 final and cheered like hell for me and Hibs when we won. He couldn’t have been more chuffed for us.

There are good Hearts people but he’s the Best man in the world Jambo or not.

Eyrie
Almost thirty years ago I had a Rover 214, albeit in green.

It is still referred to as "the piece of ####" for its unreliability on a damp morning, and was gone in two years.

coldingham hibs
21-05-2022, 09:49 PM
I'm married to a Jambo. She's ok.

My wife was a Jambo before I met her, isn’t now. You need to work harder 😂

coldingham hibs
21-05-2022, 09:51 PM
My old man my best mate is 92 this year and has followed Hearts for over 85 years. Tynecastle one week ER the next. Took me to ER every time he could and sat on his hands when we played them in derbies. Sat in the Hibs end when they beat us in 2012 and said nothing and sat with me at the 2016 final and cheered like hell for me and Hibs when we won. He couldn’t have been more chuffed for us.

Sounds like an awesome guy 👏🏻

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 09:54 PM

That's a lovely tribute, mate. It's heart-warming to read such things. You must have wanted them to win today for him.

Lancs Harp
21-05-2022, 09:55 PM

Thats a fab story!

cameronw-hfc
21-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Dated a Rangers fan from Ardrossan for a bit.

Got introduced to her dad as "this is Cameron, we've been seeing each other a while now and he's a Hibs fan". It was a family party, but I had no idea they were all staunch Orangemen belonging to lodges. His first question was " catholic?"

Had to sit through hours of bigoted music and couldn't say a word about it, just had to smile and wave.

Split up a few weeks later 😂

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 10:04 PM

Got introduced to her dad as "this is Cameron, we've been seeing each other a while now and he's a Hibs fan". It was a family party, but I had no idea they were all staunch Orangemen belonging to lodges. His first question was " catholic?"

Split up a few weeks later ��

Told this story before, but I dated a lassie from Uphall when doing my Highers. Lovely girl, I visited her house only once. Parents were very nice to me and we chatted away, then they got out the family photos, including at the the most recent Orange Walk in Broxburn:

"I don't think they would want me there."
"How no?"
"I'm Catholic and a Hibs fan." Wee chuckle, thinking nothing of it.

The atmosphere suddenly cooled and her parents looked very pale. I was never invited back and we broke up not long after. She never said why, but I knew the score.: The Fenian has to go :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2022, 10:14 PM
I know a few Jambos who are absolutely top guys, wouldn't wish bad on any of them.

Two things:

1) I actually didn't want them to go out of existence when they paid the price for supping with the Devil.

2) I did think it was unfair being relegated with enough games to go to technically save themselves, no matter how pish they had been all season.

But if I needed a reminder of how much I detest their club, of how much they are still up themselves even after a lesson that should have taught them some humility, then the number of times I had 'wee team' shouted at me as I made my way on my own from Hampden to Queen's street station after the semi final was enough ... I wouldn't want the *******s to win the toss up, never mind a game of fitba.

bingo70
21-05-2022, 10:17 PM
Something I’m not proud of and not something I would normally admit to but I’ve had a few beers and this seems like a safe environment to confess to this sort of thing.

I like that song Rangers have been playing after winning in Europe recently, think they played it after todays game too.

Apologies to all concerned.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 10:18 PM
I know a few Jambos who are absolutely top guys, wouldn't wish bad on any of them.

Two things:

1) I actually didn't want them to go out of existence when they paid the price for supping with the Devil.

2) I did think it was unfair being relegated with enough games to go to technically save themselves, no matter how pish they had been all season.

But if I needed a reminder of how much I detest their club, of how much they are still up themselves even after a lesson that should have taught them some humility, then the number of times I had 'wee team' shouted at me as I made my way on my own from Hampden to Queen's street station after the semi final was enough ... I wouldn't want the *******s to win the toss up, never mind a game of fitba.

Agree. It was unfair.

Cat Stanton
21-05-2022, 10:20 PM

Genuinely lovely post!

bingo70
21-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Agree. It was unfair.

Really old ground here but that’s something I’ve just never understood. There was clearly no other viable alternative. They were perhaps quite unfortunate but there was nothing unfair about it.

**** them.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Really old ground here but that’s something I’ve just never understood. There was clearly no other viable alternative. They were perhaps quite unfortunate but there was nothing unfair about it.

**** them.

Fair enough, but I would have been furious had that been Hibs.

bingo70
21-05-2022, 10:28 PM
Fair enough, but I would have been furious had that been Hibs.

I don’t doubt a lot of Hibs fans would be.

I’m quite pragmatic about these things and I genuinely think I would have understood that there was no other option and we had to go down. If it was me in charge, I would have tried to negotiate a far more realistic compensation package for going down as compensation.

FWIW I found that whole period absolutely fantastic and I still look back and laugh at some of the rubbish they spouted at the time.

cameronw-hfc
21-05-2022, 10:31 PM
Told this story before, but I dated a lassie from Uphall when doing my Highers. Lovely girl, I visited her house only once. Parents were very nice to me and we chatted away, then they got out the family photos, including at the the most recent Orange Walk in Broxburn:

"I don't think they would want me there."
"How no?"
"I'm Catholic and a Hibs fan." Wee chuckle, thinking nothing of it.

The atmosphere suddenly cooled and her parents looked very pale. I was never invited back and we broke up not long after. She never said why, but I knew the score.: The Fenian has to go :greengrin

Aye same was never asked back 😂. Mind Stokes lived in Uphall and the Orange Walk would stop outside his gaff everytime haha

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 10:37 PM
Aye same was never asked back 😂. Mind Stokes lived in Uphall and the Orange Walk would stop outside his gaff everytime haha

It's a pathetic state of affairs, but it still exists.

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2022, 10:39 PM
I don’t doubt a lot of Hibs fans would be.

I’m quite pragmatic about these things and I genuinely think I would have understood that there was no other option and we had to go down. If it was me in charge, I would have tried to negotiate a far more realistic compensation package for going down as compensation.

FWIW I found that whole period absolutely fantastic and I still look back and laugh at some of the rubbish they spouted at the time.

It absolutely was funny, but I won't pretend that if it had been Hibs I wouldn't have been raging as well.

For me this would have been a good chance to expand the premiership to at least 14 teams, a situation which would have kept everybody happy. Of course as only they can Hearts turned absolutely everybody against the concept by suggesting the league be expanded for a single season, a move that was so blatantly self serving even clubs who might have thought expansion was a good idea were turned off. If ever anything summed up Hearts as a club it was that moment, no wonder they are the most hated club in Scotland outside of the Ugly Sisters.

JXM73
21-05-2022, 10:42 PM
Ltyf?

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2022, 10:51 PM
Ah. He had his. I had mine. Brain not functioning so well up here this evening!

I was only joking.

The Tubs
21-05-2022, 11:18 PM

This exemplifies the pinnacle of human evolution. However, as it involves football rivalry, it's just too weird and I cannot relate to it.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 11:25 PM
This exemplifies the pinnacle of human evolution. However, as it involves football rivalry, it's just too weird and I cannot relate to it.

You savage :greengrin

Bostonhibby
21-05-2022, 11:37 PM
I do like a nice maroon 100% polyester blazer with gold coloured plastic buttons and a big pocket for showing of my collection of biros.

Works brilliantly with beige corduroy strides.

M

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 11:41 PM
I do like a nice maroon 100% polyester blazer with gold coloured plastic buttons and a big pocket for showing of my collection of biros.

Works brilliantly with beige corduroy strides.

M

Union Jack socks and Y-fronts?

overdrive
21-05-2022, 11:50 PM

Had to sit through hours of bigoted music and couldn't say a word about it, just had to smile and wave.

Split up a few weeks later 😂

I’ve only ever slept with Rangers fans. It must be a fetish! I’m about to go onto Rangers fan wife #2… this one is a bit more hardcore than the others in that she has actually had a season ticket to Ibrox.

stoneyburn hibs
21-05-2022, 11:51 PM
I spent probably a half season at tynecastle over 2 years.
All my mates bar 1 were Jambos growing up.
Was asked time and again to switch.
No chance,live and Hibs.

Bostonhibby
21-05-2022, 11:59 PM
Union Jack socks and Y-fronts?No mate, all beige except the blazer, favourite colour especially the matching shirt & tie set.

Hibernian Verse
22-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Something I’m not proud of and not something I would normally admit to but I’ve had a few beers and this seems like a safe environment to confess to this sort of thing.

I like that song Rangers have been playing after winning in Europe recently, think they played it after todays game too.

Apologies to all concerned.

I’m feeling it. Absolute belter, better when used when they get beat though.

“Alexa play I’m feeling it” was used on Wednesday evening.

JamesHFC
22-05-2022, 12:29 AM
About 30 years ago I owned a maroon C17 baseball jacket, it was very smart. IIRC I bought it in a shop on Shandwick Place which is long gone.

😂

JamesHFC
22-05-2022, 12:30 AM
Jam tarts are decent.

heretoday
22-05-2022, 12:34 AM
It's not really a confession. I started going to football in1963.

My father, a Cambridge Blue footballer and ex-Elgin City player in the old Highland League, used to take me to games at Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next.

Lucky to have a car, we went all over the place in the sixties to watch football. We saw Falkirk beat Celtic 6-2 on a pouring wet night.

Johnny Graham was the star with a hattrick. A year later and Celtic were European Champions.

We sat in the Ibrox stand behind a row of blind men, who had friends describing the action to them in a commentary better than Bob Crampsey.

We saw Billy McNeill rise to score the winner against Dunfermline in the cup final which set off their great run.

We saw Hibs score four goals in the first twenty minutes at Tynecastle in 1965 and seven goals without reply in 1973. Great memories.

Bristolhibby
22-05-2022, 12:48 AM
I like cardigans

and my dad once owned a rover

And mine a Volvo. He works in insurance.

J

Pete
22-05-2022, 01:02 AM

What's yours?

Totally agree about Craig Levein. He's dry as hell but that's what Fifers are like and they're a marmite breed if you don't get them.
I cringe when I see us getting wound up about his wind ups.

And this stuff about him deliberately missing Dens is very harsh. Love him or loathe him he's no *****bag, as his dealings with hard man Graeme Hogg and the United interview after Ibrox will testify

Pretty Boy
22-05-2022, 04:36 AM
I like Levein too. Very dry sense of humour and he's excellent in Sacked in The Morning. I also like Paul Hartley. He enjoyed getting one over on us but it was understandable. He also took the stick he got in good spirits.

In terms of a really dark confession. When I was about 5 or 6 I went to a Hearts v Celtic game with my cousin. I sat in the Hearts end and wore a Hearts scarf. I knew then it felt wrong and 30 years on it's still a shameful burden I carry.

AFKA5814_Hibs
22-05-2022, 05:55 AM
In the 80s I had a pair of sta-presed maroon trousers. The only time I've ever wore maroon but they were quite fashionable at the time. 😄

One Day
22-05-2022, 06:07 AM

I think we need more stories like this

Hibrandenburg
22-05-2022, 06:35 AM
Once when absolutely blootered I started to sing "Away doon in Gorgie", unfortunately my alcohol consumption wasn't high enough to completely erase the memory and I woke up feeling like a dirty hoor the morning after. Thankfully the only witnesses to my indiscretion were German and hadn't a clue what I was singing.

TheGroundsman
22-05-2022, 07:06 AM
I drive a maroon coloured car.

Tidy looking car, good history and I got a good deal with a trade in.
Just a minging colour

Alfiembra
22-05-2022, 07:18 AM
All of my pals are either Rangers or Aberdeen fans only one pal I see very rarely has a Hibs connection.
When I watch either of the Uglies playing in European games I am a bit disappointed if they lose.

Keith_M
22-05-2022, 07:24 AM
For the whole four years I was at High School, I sat at registration class with my three best pals, one a Jambo, one a Tim and one a Hun.

I also had a 'Yale' cardigan around the same time. It was was Burgundy....which is very nearly maroon.

hibbyfraelibby
22-05-2022, 07:26 AM
I used to catch the bus to work on Queensferry Road. If I couldn't get on the Green SMT bus I would get on the Maroon and White one...

Keith_M
22-05-2022, 07:28 AM
I used to catch the bus to work on Queensferry Road. If I couldn't get on the Green SMT bus I would get on the Maroon and White one...

:shocked:

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 07:30 AM
I was born a jambo deep down in Gorgie

My first strip was a Hearts strip

I am part of a generation that went to Tiny one week Easter Road the next in the days before saturation TV coverage

I don’t know what it was but I just loved the Hibs

I have not been back to Tiny since 1990

Their loss

Just love to see them lose and cannot feel sorry for them

Roll on the new season

May the best team win

Pagan Hibernia
22-05-2022, 07:35 AM
It absolutely was funny, but I won't pretend that if it had been Hibs I wouldn't have been raging as well.

For me this would have been a good chance to expand the premiership to at least 14 teams, a situation which would have kept everybody happy. Of course as only they can Hearts turned absolutely everybody against the concept by suggesting the league be expanded for a single season, a move that was so blatantly self serving even clubs who might have thought expansion was a good idea were turned off. If ever anything summed up Hearts as a club it was that moment, no wonder they are the most hated club in Scotland outside of the Ugly Sisters.

it was unfortunate for hearts but in my opinion it would have been far more unfair to deny Dundee United a fully deserved promotion when they were running away with the championship.

I wouldn’t have been opposed to reconstruction and an expanded league, I think that would have been the fair option, but the clubs democratically rejected that straight away so what can you do.

DaveF
22-05-2022, 07:44 AM
In the 80s I had a pair of sta-presed maroon trousers. The only time I've ever wore maroon but they were quite fashionable at the time. 😄

WTF? Why the hell did I not disown you there and then 😂

PatHead
22-05-2022, 08:17 AM
I once went to a Farts v Morton game on a Saturday when I had nothing else to do. Andy Ritchie was superb and Morton won.
They were crap in those days so I knew they would lose.

AFKA5814_Hibs
22-05-2022, 08:24 AM
WTF? Why the hell did I not disown you there and then 😂

It was early 80s. Before I saw the light and became a Hibs
Kid. 😄 I blame my Jambo supporting Dad.

gbhibby
22-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Had a maroon car for 2 years.
Been to three of their Scottish Cup finals 1968 1976 and 1986(they lost all three)

Pagan Hibernia
22-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Been to three of their Scottish Cup finals 1968 1976 and 1986(they lost all three)

keep going to their cup finals! :agree:

where'stheslope
22-05-2022, 10:03 AM
I was always at Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next with my mates until they segregated fans.
It hurt, but, if you shouted out of turn you were tossed out of both venues.
Back then you would always go to even Derbies with your mates, and at times you had to stand up to fellow supporters picking on mates!!!

Bostonhibby
22-05-2022, 10:20 AM
On the very day, and hour I was born Hearts were losing to Hibs at Tynecastle. I swore right there and then I'd support the winners that day[emoji16]

superfurryhibby
22-05-2022, 10:32 AM
I wanted them to win the 98 cup final.

hibstag
22-05-2022, 11:40 AM

I'm a bit like this about them and finals v the old firm usually until I encounter a jambo, I kinda wanted them to win in 20 and yesterday as The old firm win almost everything...Then I come to my senses yesterday was the 5 1 banner. In 20 getting so close hurt them more than a horsing so I enjoyed the aftermath.

Jamesie
22-05-2022, 11:41 AM
From about 1999 - 2006 I was a volunteer for both the Hibs.net website (as it then was) and, thereafter, the Hibs official website. This meant attending press conferences both pre and post match and preparing articles thereafter and it spanned the time when Jim Jefferies was at Kilmarnock and Bobby Williamson at Hibs.

I always found Jim Jefferies to be one of the best managers to deal with in post match conferences - straightforward, good humoured, and always courteous. Somebody I’d happily have a pint with and hear his football stories. This was the complete polar opposite to my experience of Bobby Williamson!

Libby Hibby
22-05-2022, 11:54 AM

Same. Back then the rivalry was healthy but pretty much since that day they all have become obsessive weirdo’s with all things Hibs.

SaulGoodman
22-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Once when absolutely blootered I started to sing "Away doon in Gorgie", unfortunately my alcohol consumption wasn't high enough to completely erase the memory and I woke up feeling like a dirty hoor the morning after. Thankfully the only witnesses to my indiscretion were German and hadn't a clue what I was singing.

I once sang the paulo Sergio song with some hearts pals. Was also absolutely blootered.

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2022, 12:38 PM
I once attended Tynecastle for a friendly and wanted Hearts to win, they were playing Everton.

OldEast
22-05-2022, 12:45 PM
When I was about 10 my favourite jumper was maroon and I like John Robertson. Nothing too bad really 🤷🏻

scm70nyd1973
22-05-2022, 12:50 PM

What's yours?

In the 80s I bought - and actually wore - a pair of white Nike trainers which had a maroon Nike logo - almost as bad as sporting a stupid moustache that was in vogue at the time.

Bostonhibby
22-05-2022, 12:54 PM
When I was about 10 my favourite jumper was maroon and I like John Robertson. Nothing too bad really [emoji1744]Nothing wrong with John Robertson.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Played in a charity match at Easter Rd at the start of the 83/84 season. It was a Scotmid/Radio Forth select against a Hibs select. Hibs put out a really a strong team that included, Rough, Shaedler, McNamara and Blackley. Stanton was the Manager and played as well
I unfortunately had to wear a Hearts strip that day, upfront with Donald Ford.
Friends have photos of me wearing maroon😎

Bostonhibby
22-05-2022, 01:06 PM
Played in a charity match at Easter Rd at the start of the 83/84 season. It was a Scotmid/Radio Forth select against a Hibs select. Hibs put out a really a strong team that included, Rough, Shaedler, McNamara and Blackley. Stanton was the Manager and played as well
I unfortunately had to wear a Hearts strip that day, upfront with Donald Ford.
Friends have photos of me wearing maroon[emoji41]A plague upon you. Maroon is not even a colour [emoji6]

AltheHibby
22-05-2022, 01:08 PM

If it makes you feel better, the actual shade is Madder, not Maroon.

basehibby
22-05-2022, 02:45 PM

I have to confess to the very same. Had a lot of jambo mates growing up - some v good friends - and none of them had witnessed their team lift a trophy (also it was vs the huns) so it seemed churlish not to wish them well.

But my REAL confession is that - with these self same friends I once attended a Derby at Easter Rd at the Jambo end! One of them had a spare ticket as I recall and I was given assurances re my safety etc.

It was an experience I will never forget - Hibs won the game courtesy of a peachy Eddie May winner right in front of my eyes. The sight of the Hibs end celebrating was absolutely magnificent and I wanted to jump for joy - but of course I could do nothing - much as I had a friendly mate on either side of me we were surrounded by slavering jamtards who had been singing riotous about being up to their knees in fenian blood right up until Eddie shut their ugly puses and celebrating in any way would have been suicidal.

Memorable experience as it was, it was one I would not want to repeat and - if there had been even a slither of a doubt as to which end I belonged on Derby day, it was emphatically erased that day. As the goals went in I longed to be in among my fellow hibees celebrating and thats where I've remained ever since.

HoboHarry
22-05-2022, 02:49 PM
When we bought our current house, the existing front door was Hertz maroon in color. Took two years to get the wife to change it. Had to look at that thing every day for two years, should have just flung her and the door out at the same time....

Soldiersteve
22-05-2022, 02:49 PM
:top marks:flag:

Hibernia&Alba
22-05-2022, 02:50 PM
When we bought our current house, the existing front door was Hertz maroon in color. Took two years to get the wife to change it. Had to look at that thing every day for two years, should have just flung her and the door out at the same time....

:hilarious

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-05-2022, 02:52 PM
I didn't celebrate Horgan's two goals at Tynie. Being deep in the home end on a borrowed season ticket, is a poor excuse, but I feel cleansed for fessing up.

hibbyfraelibby
22-05-2022, 03:26 PM

Aye they're Madder alright...

Bostonhibby
22-05-2022, 04:15 PM

There are good Hearts people but he’s the Best man in the world Jambo or not.Great story, very uplifting.

I was taken, as a 12 year old, to the 1-6 Scottish cup final defeat by celtc by my late Uncle who was dyed in the wool Jambo, good man and different times, he actually wore a maroon jacket to the game.

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2022, 06:04 PM

:top marks

Best post I have read on here in quite some time

Uplifting

Brilliant!

FitbaFolkKen
22-05-2022, 06:08 PM
I didn't celebrate Horgan's two goals at Tynie. Being deep in the home end on a borrowed season ticket, is a poor excuse, but I feel cleansed for fessing up.

Did the same for the Boxing Day game in 2019, tough times sit on your hands with that Boyle double [emoji23]

I also ended up in the Tynie Arms with a couple
of other Hibbies with my Hibs gear on after we got gubbed 4-0 in that semi. They were reasonably hospitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heidtheba
22-05-2022, 06:44 PM

That's a lovely story. I wonder if anyone still does that? If not, I wonder when that stopped and if it will ever happen again?
I will say one thing about our rivalry with our Maroon/Madder neighbours, I don't think there are many cities where that would happen. Liverpool/Everton maybe? Dundee? Glasgow - naw.

McD
22-05-2022, 06:55 PM

this is one of the best posts I’ve read here, genuinely heartwarming mate

gbhibby
22-05-2022, 07:05 PM
A Hibby walks into the bar 3 Hearts mates at the bar asks
them the question, what is the colour of the Hearts top? To which one of them replies maroon,Hibby says that's kind of you mines a pint of lager.

I'll get ma coat.

Killiehibbie
22-05-2022, 07:17 PM
Since moving through here and not seeing any of them very often I would rather they had won yesterday. The world would be a better place if Rangers won nothing.

SerenityGreen
22-05-2022, 07:53 PM
Grew up in Dalry and when we were kids we used to go along to Tynecastle and try and get in as ballboys. This was early 70's before real ballboys. Used to go to the odd game wi ma pals as they were all jambos as was too young to go to ER on ma own. Also, played for them when I was a youngster. Ever since though I've always wanted to run out at ER in full kit, getting on a bit now though so.😁

Mick O'Rourke
22-05-2022, 07:57 PM
Since moving through here and not seeing any of them very often I would rather they had won yesterday. The world would be a better place if Rangers won nothing.

Hear,hear !

Mick O'Rourke
22-05-2022, 08:04 PM

Happy Birthday when it comes, Mr Half Pint,snr !!

Risboro Hibby
22-05-2022, 08:10 PM
My Jambo brother in law took me to the 1968 Scottish cup final. He bought me a Hearts for the cup rosette which as a 12 year old I felt obliged to wear for the day. Just as well Hearts lost.

hibbyfraelibby
23-05-2022, 09:05 AM
My Jambo brother in law took me to the 1968 Scottish cup final. He bought me a Hearts for the cup rosette which as a 12 year old I felt obliged to wear for the day. Just as well Hearts lost.

Was that not the game Rene Moller picked wee Alex Edwards up by throat and handed him to the ref? Not even booked for it.

CL0762
23-05-2022, 10:06 AM
Used to meet up with a group of mates after derbies (all of them Jambos), one specific game after we’d beaten them (think it was the Farid game) got absolutely blootered and put one of their tops on and gave it the 5-1.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

Edina Street
23-05-2022, 10:52 AM
I wish Paul Hartley had stayed at Hibs.

As an aside, I also wish Stevie Crawford had stayed at Hibs, but Stevie Crawford did not become the pantomime villain that Paul Hartley became, so hardly a revelation.

lyonhibs
23-05-2022, 07:00 PM
I have several good Rangers friends, thoroughly decent blokes, one was a groomsman at my wedding. Hence I definitely distinguish between a Hun and a Rangers supporter.

I had "Simply the Best" at my wedding purely because it's an absolute banger of a tune

AltheHibby
23-05-2022, 07:12 PM
A Hibby walks into the bar 3 Hearts mates at the bar asks
them the question, what is the colour of the Hearts top? To which one of them replies maroon,Hibby says that's kind of you mines a pint of lager.

I'll get ma coat.

:rolleyes:

AltheHibby
23-05-2022, 07:14 PM
I think I may have caused a bit confusion. It's the buses that are madder.

And the yaks fans.

Hermit Crab
23-05-2022, 07:36 PM
I have quite a few misdemeanours involving Hearts.

I once danced on the bar, in the Arcade Bar with a Hearts scarf on after another derby hosing at Easter rd. Picture evidence of this exists somewhere too.

I have been in that Hearts club on Gorgie road loads of times after derbies at Tynecastle, usually after getting pumped. Never had any grief from them either.

I got insanely jealous of their Euro jaunts in the mid 2000s and watching their goal celebrations away to teams like Braga, Basel and Bordeaux really pissed me off but they were great to watch.

I have 2 close friends from growing up in the same estate who are Hearts fans and I wanted Hearts to win on Saturday for them. (one of them runs the Amoruso Lets it Run Twitter page, very decent blokes. We all meet up 5/6 times a year.

My personal favourite. I was at a function in the Gorgie suite years ago and we snuck out onto the pitch at some point during the function and I took a piss in the goalmouth of the Gorgie road end, I must have only been 18 or 19 at the time. :greengrin

McD
23-05-2022, 08:39 PM
I have quite a few misdemeanours involving Hearts.

I once danced on the bar, in the Arcade Bar with a Hearts scarf on after another derby hosing at Easter rd. Picture evidence of this exists somewhere too.

I have been in that Hearts club on Gorgie road loads of times after derbies at Tynecastle, usually after getting pumped. Never had any grief from them either.

I got insanely jealous of their Euro jaunts in the mid 2000s and watching their goal celebrations away to teams like Braga, Basel and Bordeaux really pissed me off but they were great to watch.

I have 2 close friends from growing up in the same estate who are Hearts fans and I wanted Hearts to win on Saturday for them. (one of them runs the Amoruso Lets it Run Twitter page, very decent blokes. We all meet up 5/6 times a year.

My personal favourite. I was at a function in the Gorgie suite years ago and we snuck out onto the pitch at some point during the function and I took a piss in the goalmouth of the Gorgie road end, I must have only been 18 or 19 at the time. :greengrin

that’s not a confession, that’s a pat on the back :thumbsup:

Killiehibbie
23-05-2022, 08:44 PM
Only once did I ever get to kick a ball about on the pitch at Easter Road, it was at half time during a reserve game with Alex McDonald and the other Hearts sub.

Hibernian Verse
23-05-2022, 08:54 PM
I have several good Rangers friends, thoroughly decent blokes, one was a groomsman at my wedding. Hence I definitely distinguish between a Hun and a Rangers supporter.

I had "Simply the Best" at my wedding purely because it's an absolute banger of a tune

They’re a sound family. Reminds me I need to see Fino more often.

Hermit Crab
23-05-2022, 09:25 PM
that’s not a confession, that’s a pat on the back :thumbsup:

Haha, the things you do when you're a young dafty eh.

SteveHFC
23-05-2022, 11:45 PM
Despise Rangers fans more than Hearts fans. :duck:

cameronw-hfc
24-05-2022, 02:06 AM
Despise Rangers fans more than Hearts fans. :duck:

I'll join you there

Jones28
24-05-2022, 06:38 AM
Before 2016 I used to think being a Celtic or rangers fan would be really fun. Going anywhere expecting a win, making big money signings and all that.

When 2016 happened I realised they would never, ever feel that way. That ecstasy, the parade, none of it would be there for them.

I didn’t feel sorry for them in the slightest, but it did remind me that you don’t just win a trophy and go home to your dinner as a Hibs fan. They are truly special things.

One Day Soon
24-05-2022, 11:21 AM

Absolutely outstanding.

One Day Soon
24-05-2022, 11:36 AM

You need to keep attending any others they qualify for…

hibstag
24-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Before 2016 I used to think being a Celtic or rangers fan would be really fun. Going anywhere expecting a win, making big money signings and all that.

When 2016 happened I realised they would never, ever feel that way. That ecstasy, the parade, none of it would be there for them.

I didn’t feel sorry for them in the slightest, but it did remind me that you don’t just win a trophy and go home to your dinner as a Hibs fan. They are truly special things.
Its losing that impacts them more . Ask any celtic fan who scored their goals in the 2013 scottish cup final I doubt they will know. Ask them to to name who missed a penalty in the coca cola Cup shootout in 1994 they will tell you no problem. Don't bring up helicopter Sundays involving dunfermline either

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2022, 12:30 PM
I have a dark grey jacket that I bought online with a "deep red" inside lining that wasn't in any of the pics. It was a bargain and it's a really good jacket but obviously I have to have it fully zipped up at all times. Should've just bitten the bullet and sent it back. :rolleyes:

Mcbizz1998
24-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Used to meet up with a group of mates after derbies (all of them Jambos), one specific game after we’d beaten them (think it was the Farid game) got absolutely blootered and put one of their tops on and gave it the 5-1.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

Ok, this thread is all fun and games but that’s just too much for me. What on earth!???

LTYF!!!!