PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Nisbet

Unseen work
18-05-2022, 04:09 PM
Just saw on his Instagram he is back doing some training - Nothifn strenuous but being on the bounce, taking a touch and volleying back into the persons hands at HTC.

Great to see his recovery is going well and seems to be going fast.

Hopefully he’ll come back desperate to impress as I’m sure he’ll see it as time wasted.

Since452
18-05-2022, 04:12 PM
Great news

jacomo
18-05-2022, 04:26 PM
Yes this is great news.

Fingers crossed on a swift recovery from here on and a quick return to the squad.

Now, if only we had some positive news on Kyle Magennis…

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2022, 04:41 PM
UW . Thank you for that
Always welcome positive news on here :aok:

Green Man
18-05-2022, 04:53 PM
Yes this is great news.

Fingers crossed on a swift recovery from here on and a quick return to the squad.

Now, if only we had some positive news on Kyle Magennis…

Magennis says he should be back for pre season.

bigwheel
18-05-2022, 05:08 PM

If fit, would be like a new quality signing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibstrooper
18-05-2022, 05:12 PM
A fit and firing Nisbet and Magennis drastically enhance the quality of the team so will be great to have them back

Frazerbob
18-05-2022, 05:12 PM
Told us at the sponsors do that he won’t be back until October and targeting the World Cup.

Stubbsy90+2
18-05-2022, 05:21 PM
Told us at the sponsors do that he won’t be back until October and targeting the World Cup.

5 months seems like a hell of a long time when you see what he’s doing in the video.

Winston Ingram
18-05-2022, 05:30 PM
5 months seems like a hell of a long time when you see what he’s doing in the video.

The operation appears to have improved his touch

04Sauzee
18-05-2022, 05:31 PM
I had it in my head that he wouldn't be back for the start of the season. Good news for him that he's back doing some light work

Alfred E Newman
18-05-2022, 05:32 PM

When he will no doubt pick up a knock.

Garymcl
18-05-2022, 07:01 PM
Excellent news two good players we have missed this season I’m genuinely very optimistic about next season bring it on :flag:

bingo70
18-05-2022, 07:05 PM
Apologies if this is a stupid question but Out of curiosity do players with long term injuries get a break over the summer or have they effectively had their break when they couldn’t train?

Hibiza
18-05-2022, 07:14 PM
The operation appears to have improved his touch

Touch ? Nice one😂

Tambo
18-05-2022, 07:15 PM
That's good news, felt sorry for Nisbet being stuck up there on his own with not much service.

Hope he can get to work with Melkersen soon and form a partnership.

McD
18-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Apologies if this is a stupid question but Out of curiosity do players with long term injuries get a break over the summer or have they effectively had their break when they couldn’t train?

probably a bit of both tbh, they’ll have a rehab regimen to follow and work on with the physios/coaches, but also probably free to take a holiday or whatever like their teammates

in fairness, even players who are fit will still have a fitness programme to follow during the close season, almost certainly tailored to them specifically

Hibiza
18-05-2022, 07:21 PM
McGennis is class , hope Nisbet is sold . consistent underachiever.

Gmack7
18-05-2022, 07:52 PM

Loadypish

Hibby-G
18-05-2022, 07:56 PM

When was this? Just based of that video, I’d assume he could be back in contention for the start of next season.

GreenArmy1875
18-05-2022, 07:57 PM
Anyone notice the size of his biceps on Sunday doing the lap of appreciation

bigwheel
18-05-2022, 07:58 PM
When was this? Just based of that video, I’d assume he could be back in contention for the start of next season.

Nah. He’s very early in his rehab 4 months of that surely for that type of injury

Looks in better shape though - good to see

Hibiza
18-05-2022, 08:02 PM
Loadypish

Proven . Keep him , be another season of a loadypish

easty
18-05-2022, 08:29 PM

Drivel.

Jones28
18-05-2022, 08:47 PM
Drivel.

At least he’s consistent

3pm
18-05-2022, 09:19 PM
Anyone notice the size of his biceps on Sunday doing the lap of appreciation

He looked like he had been grafting in the gym!

OldEast
19-05-2022, 02:57 AM

Damn! Was getting excited there, nearly a whole thread where Magennis and Nisbet were spelt properly.

cameronw-hfc
19-05-2022, 03:48 AM

I've done my ACL twice and he's still at the beginning looking at that. He's got another wee while to go yet

CL0762
19-05-2022, 06:51 AM
Did he sign a 3 or 4 year deal?

Had a feeling he’ll be out of contract this time next year.

Stonewall
19-05-2022, 07:36 AM

Did he say which year.

Brightside
19-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Been a huge miss for us. Great to seem him moving forward.

Big_Franck
10-06-2022, 09:51 AM
Do we think we'll see Nisbet back in August/September? He seems to have been pictured doing gym work in club videos and images for several weeks now. I'd imagine he'll be building that up on his own as the rest of the squad have been away.

He got injured at the end of February and had surgery at the start of March. I wonder roughly when he'll be back, as players are rarely out for as long as the clubs initially predict with ACL injuries now. 9 months or so used to be the norm years ago, but a lot of players are back playing 5/6 months later now. I think the clubs still go with the 9 month estimate to manage fan expectations on return dates. With the squad we currently have we need him fit and back playing asap.

Frazerbob
10-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Told us at the sponsors do that he'll be back in October but probably not firing on all cylinders until January. He was targeting the World Cup, ah well.

cameronw-hfc
10-06-2022, 02:18 PM
Do we think we'll see Nisbet back in August/September? He seems to have been pictured doing gym work in club videos and images for several weeks now. I'd imagine he'll be building that up on his own as the rest of the squad have been away.

He got injured at the end of February and had surgery at the start of March. I wonder roughly when he'll be back, as players are rarely out for as long as the clubs initially predict with ACL injuries now. 9 months or so used to be the norm years ago, but a lot of players are back playing 5/6 months later now. I think the clubs still go with the 9 month estimate to manage fan expectations on return dates. With the squad we currently have we need him fit and back playing asap.

Doubt it. I've been through a few ACL snaps and from the videos I've seen he's still quite a bit away. Doesn't look like he's even past straight line running yet.

Smartie
10-06-2022, 02:32 PM
I'd be surprised if we see much football from him next season.

He'll be "back in October" in the same way that Christian Doidge was back in November and Kyle Magennis was back at various points througout the past season.

We need to be lining up someone who is going to be at the very least a reliable and season long deputy, if not a replacement. Worst case scenario then is that Nisbet gets back fit early, ready to fight for his place and has a genuine fight on his hands for a place in the team - a good situation for us.

Counting on Kevin Nisbet to be back fit and contributing at anything like an early stage next season is possibly the biggest mistake I think we could make, and could be the fatal one that sinks another season and another manager.

jacomo
10-06-2022, 03:41 PM

He'll be "back in October" in the same way that Christian Doidge was back in November and Kyle Magennis was back at various points througout the past season.

We need to be lining up someone who is going to be at the very least a reliable and season long deputy, if not a replacement. Worst case scenario then is that Nisbet gets back fit early, ready to fight for his place and has a genuine fight on his hands for a place in the team - a good situation for us.

Counting on Kevin Nisbet to be back fit and contributing at anything like an early stage next season is possibly the biggest mistake I think we could make, and could be the fatal one that sinks another season and another manager.

I agree he may well not be available for the first 2-3 months of the season but why the pessimism about him making a full recovery?

Long gone are the days when a serious knee or ankle injury meant likely retirement, thankfully.

Smartie
10-06-2022, 04:58 PM
I agree he may well not be available for the first 2-3 months of the season but why the pessimism about him making a full recovery?

Long gone are the days when a serious knee or ankle injury meant likely retirement, thankfully.

The pessimism is mainly an acknowledgment of the seriousness of the injury and the unfortunate timing of it.

He’s going to miss out on the whole of pre season then come back a few months into the season and we haven’t had a great track record in recent years in getting a lot out of players who have either had a disrupted pre season, a serious injury or both.

I don’t think it’ll be a retirement or permanent damage issue but I think it might be the following season before anyone sees the best of him again.

On a different note, I think it will have done Magennis no harm to have written off the end of last season and if he can be starting pre season injury free then that augurs well for keeping him fitter next season.

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2022, 05:05 PM

I agree, even when he is fit enough to play, he will pick up other knocks and strains because his body is not used to the stress of full on football for such a while.

We probably need a replacment for this coming season, to let him bed in gradually.

3pm
10-06-2022, 06:44 PM
I agree, even when he is fit enough to play, he will pick up other knocks and strains because his body is not used to the stress of full on football for such a while.

We probably need a replacment for this coming season, to let him bed in gradually.

And then he will leave on a free transfer the season after! 🤣

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2022, 07:41 PM
And then he will leave on a free transfer the season after! 🤣
:faf:

Tricla
10-06-2022, 07:46 PM

Did Boyle not come back from a similar long term injury then remain injury free for ages? Not saying KN will be the same just that it's not impossible.

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2022, 08:07 PM
Did Boyle not come back from a similar long term injury then remain injury free for ages? Not saying KN will be the same just that it's not impossible.

Did Boyle have a cruciate, was he out 9-10 months?:dunno:

Key West
13-06-2022, 09:46 AM
I think folk have forgotten how poor Nisbet was before his injury, if he recaptured his early form then it would be like a new signing.

jacomo
13-06-2022, 10:05 AM
The pessimism is mainly an acknowledgment of the seriousness of the injury and the unfortunate timing of it.

He’s going to miss out on the whole of pre season then come back a few months into the season and we haven’t had a great track record in recent years in getting a lot out of players who have either had a disrupted pre season, a serious injury or both.

I don’t think it’ll be a retirement or permanent damage issue but I think it might be the following season before anyone sees the best of him again.

On a different note, I think it will have done Magennis no harm to have written off the end of last season and if he can be starting pre season injury free then that augurs well for keeping him fitter next season.

Fair comment.

:aok:

Stubbsy90+2
13-06-2022, 10:08 AM
I think folk have forgotten how poor Nisbet was before his injury, if he recaptured his early form then it would be like a new signing.

:agree:

He was crap last season.

He’ll not only need to come back from his injury, but he’ll need to up his performances significantly.

Diclonius
13-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Nisbet was poor because we decided we only needed two strikers, thereby giving him all of the work.

ZitellZeTime
13-06-2022, 10:18 AM
Spat a wee bit of my coffee oout when I read that one liner, laddy asked if I was ok lol, its true though, I remember he was class and had a few games start of last season class but each day that passses i start to forget what he looks like a bit more eeach time., kinda like a dead relative !

Edit: Cam tell im stlll getting used to the forum based ones, iI' sure i clicked reply on the "Did he say which year" about Magennis being back for pre season. do I have to put a title or something or it doesn't appear as a reply? Or maybe i just didn't hit reply.

Centre Hawf
13-06-2022, 10:27 AM
He wasn't great last season by the standard he set when he first arrived.

But I would add if you go back and watch things like the goal of the season contenders a few weeks ago, or even some highlights from games we actually won you can see that he's still a very important player for us and we suffered massively having lost him.

Still needs to massively improve his consistency levels when he returns though and show it more often.

superfurryhibby
13-06-2022, 10:33 AM

It's fair comment. However, we also have to remember that he was mostly being played as a lone striker, in a team which was almost created nothing from midfield. The sale of Boyle just compounded that issue and then left us with no attacking threat

Key West
13-06-2022, 11:02 AM
It's fair comment. However, we also have to remember that he was mostly being played as a lone striker, in a team which was almost created nothing from midfield. The sale of Boyle just compounded that issue and then left us with no attacking threat

One thing is certain he can't play as a lone striker which seems to be the preferred option for a lot of teams.

MWHIBBIES
13-06-2022, 11:12 AM
One thing is certain he can't play as a lone striker which seems to be the preferred option for a lot of teams.

Maybe he can play it with proper support and a real system that works?

easty
13-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Maybe he can play it with proper support and a real system that works?

Absolutely.

In a system where he was expected to play up top on his own with no midfield runners, he was pretty much hung out to dry.

Alfred E Newman
13-06-2022, 11:24 AM

It wasn't Nisbet that was poor, it was the managerial tactics

Since452
13-06-2022, 11:28 AM
I'm hoping this injury lay off has allowed Kevin to re-engage. It just wasn't happening for him last season and obviously he's had his off field issues with the tragic loss of his dad which would effect any young man. He's got bags of talent and i'm hopeful LJ will be the type of manager to get the best out of him. Nisbet and Magennis will be like two new major signings. We missed them both badly.

Key West
13-06-2022, 11:32 AM

I wish that was the case, his control was very poor, he was incapable of holding the ball up and you could have been forgiven for thinking you were watching a different player from the one who showed a lot of promise at the beginning, I I think time has played a massive trick on the memories of a lot of people.

Sioux
13-06-2022, 11:42 AM
I wish that was the case, his control was very poor, he was incapable of holding the ball up and you could have been forgiven for thinking you were watching a different player from the one who showed a lot of promise at the beginning, I I think time has played a massive trick on the memories of a lot of people.

Ye, and the fact that many of his attempts on goal were a result of his incessant want to pass the ball into the net (keeper's hands), or pass it beyond the far post.

Raheem Sterling was like that at Liverpool, powderpuff. He now strikes the ball with a lot more power, even though nothing like a Shearer and others who used power to beat the keeper.

Quite why no one seems to have coached that out of him is weird, or maybe he didn't listen.

Brightside
13-06-2022, 01:57 PM

He was crap last season.

He’ll not only need to come back from his injury, but he’ll need to up his performances significantly.

He wasnt crap. He was doing the work that our non existing attacking midfield should have been doing. A huge loss once he was injured.

Brightside
13-06-2022, 02:03 PM

Sorry but thats rubbish. But as usual some Hibs fans remain very negative about our own players.

Alfred E Newman
13-06-2022, 02:07 PM
Ye, and the fact that many of his attempts on goal were a result of his incessant want to pass the ball into the net (keeper's hands), or pass it beyond the far post.

Raheem Sterling was like that at Liverpool, powderpuff. He now strikes the ball with a lot more power, even though nothing like a Shearer and others who used power to beat the keeper.

Quite why no one seems to have coached that out of him is weird, or maybe he didn't listen.
If Melkerson had passed the ball into the net against Dundee Unt instead of blootering it we could have been looking forward to European football this season.

Stubbsy90+2
13-06-2022, 02:09 PM
He wasnt crap. He was doing the work that our non existing attacking midfield should have been doing. A huge loss once he was injured.

He was crap. The rest of the team weren’t helping matters, but he was crap.

Key West
13-06-2022, 02:34 PM
Sorry but thats rubbish. But as usual some Hibs fans remain very negative about our own players.

I hope I am talking rubbish and he comes good again.

hibeg
13-06-2022, 03:37 PM
I hope I am talking rubbish and he comes good again.

I really think he will kick on when he returns
As others have said, the system didn’t suit him, and yes he wasn’t playing to his previous standards
He is however a very good footballer and I would expect LJ to bring out the best in him

Allant1981
13-06-2022, 03:56 PM

You think his control is/was good, not a chance. His first touch was horrendous in a lot of games. I like nisbet but lets not pretend that he wasnt poor in a lot of games last season

B.H.F.C
13-06-2022, 03:56 PM
I really think he will kick on when he returns
As others have said, the system didn’t suit him, and yes he wasn’t playing to his previous standards
He is however a very good footballer and I would expect LJ to bring out the best in him

I thought he was the problem more than the system.

He’d show the odd glimpse of quality and you were waiting for him to kick on them it just wouldn’t happen. Even after the winter break he was getting chances but he just wasn’t taking them.

Was always talk about him needing Doidge next to him but if he’s ever got any aspirations of playing above Hibs, he’ll need to get away from that because very few few teams play with two out and out strikers these days.

Michael
13-06-2022, 04:27 PM
I thought he was the problem more than the system.

He’d show the odd glimpse of quality and you were waiting for him to kick on them it just wouldn’t happen. Even after the winter break he was getting chances but he just wasn’t taking them.

Was always talk about him needing Doidge next to him but if he’s ever got any aspirations of playing above Hibs, he’ll need to get away from that because very few few teams play with two out and out strikers these days.

Yeah I'd agree with that. When we had Griffiths he would tear teams apart on his own and the same could be the case at times for Boyle too. We've never really seen this from KN.

Alfred E Newman
13-06-2022, 05:21 PM
Yeah I'd agree with that. When we had Griffiths he would tear teams apart on his own and the same could be the case at times for Boyle too. We've never really seen this from KN.
If he had the ability to tear teams apart on his own he would not be at Easter Road and we would never have been able to sign him in the first place.

Sioux
13-06-2022, 07:53 PM
If he had the ability to tear teams apart on his own he would not be at Easter Road and we would never have been able to sign him in the first place.

So Griffiths and Boyle didn't sign for Hibs after all?

CapitalGreen
13-06-2022, 08:00 PM

Neither Griffiths or Boyle were tearing teams apart when they initially joined. Griffiths didn’t dominate teams until his 2nd season and Boyle took 4 years worth of development to reach that stage. For sure we can get young players in and try and develop them but the Griffiths and Boyle that were dominating opposition teams by the time they left Hibs were £m+ players.

Winston Ingram
13-06-2022, 08:02 PM

It was absolutely Nisbet that was poor.

I love how people blame it on tactics. It’s down to the fact he’s not good enough to play up front on his own.

Stubbsy90+2
13-06-2022, 08:19 PM

I love how people blame it on tactics. It’s down to the fact he’s not good enough to play up front on his own.

Tactics didn’t have him missing all these good chances with pitiful efforts. Tactics didn’t leave him unable to control a ball or run himself into the ground.

The players supporting him were poor. This undoubtedly impacted his game. He was also poor though and this undoubtedly impacted everyone else’s game as well. Difference with Nisbet is that he’s an international striker with 10 caps who has aspirations of getting a big move. We rightfully expect more from him than we do from some of the others who were also poor.

jacomo
13-06-2022, 08:44 PM

Griffiths never did, that’s true.

FitbaFolkKen
13-06-2022, 09:24 PM
Nisbet is a cracking player, one up top doesn't work for him though. I remember even when he wasn't playing well he was working his arse off tracking back and putting challenges in.

He's an international striker, I honestly don't know what folk expect.

Let's hope we see more of what is in the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxyBeUEBNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BerZKb5U4tw

jacomo
13-06-2022, 09:25 PM

Let’s be fair, we didn’t see how he would cope if given proper service.

Tambo
13-06-2022, 09:43 PM
Two seasons ago he was used with a partner and even sometimes played a little deeper during the games and scored a fair few for his debut season.

Last season unfortunately he was used as a lone striker and didn't perform to the levels of the season before but still scored a couple.

If we get the ball into the box much more under LJ with more bodies then I'm sure a fully fit Nisbet would score a fair few.

Until then I'm interested to see how LJ uses Melkersen.

Winston Ingram
14-06-2022, 05:26 AM
Let’s be fair, we didn’t see how he would cope if given proper service.

We are being fair. What was different from the previous season when he had loads?

The reason he didn’t get this service was down to his movement and 1st touch being so bad.

cameronw-hfc
14-06-2022, 06:46 AM
We are being fair. What was different from the previous season when he had loads?

The reason he didn’t get this service was down to his movement and 1st touch being so bad.

Nisbet was poor compared to last season, but he also had a lot less service. Those two don't need to be mutually exclusive, it was both.

There's people on here that just dislike Nissy due to the transfer debacle, and there's some that will defend him to the hilt.

He had a bad year, but he had a lot less service last season in a team playing very poor.

Brightside
14-06-2022, 08:27 AM

When it comes to this player you are never fair. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
15-06-2022, 06:21 PM
Nisbet was poor compared to last season, but he also had a lot less service. Those two don't need to be mutually exclusive, it was both.

There's people on here that just dislike Nissy due to the transfer debacle, and there's some that will defend him to the hilt.

He had a bad year, but he had a lot less service last season in a team playing very poor.

I don’t dislike him. I just don’t rate him. His goal record is poor and he doesn’t set them them up either.

He had a decent 1st 4 months. Since Christmas 2020 he’s averaged 1 league goal every 4 league games for 14 months and amassed a total of 1 assist in that time.

Winston Ingram
15-06-2022, 06:29 PM

I don’t dislike him. I just don’t rate him. His goal record is poor and he doesn’t set them them up either.

He had a decent 1st 4 months. Since Christmas 2020 he’s averaged 1 league goal every 4 league games for 14 months and amassed a total of 1 assist in that time.