PDA

View Full Version : A Naffed-Off Long Time Season Ticket Holder Thinks Out Loud

One Day Soon
18-05-2022, 10:58 AM
I was taken to my first Hibs game at age 15 in 1979 with my best mate and his dad. George Best's home debut. I got home bug eyed and in love with the team in green. I'm 57 now and I've had a season ticket continuously for almost 40 years.

So why am I seriously in two minds about renewing for next season? Is it me or is it Hibs? Or to put it another way, is it 'that sounds like a you problem Dad' as my kids are fond of saying?

flash
18-05-2022, 11:02 AM
I was taken to my first Hibs game at age 15 in 1979 with my best mate and his dad. George Best's home debut. I got home bug eyed and in love with the team in green. I'm 57 now and I've had a season ticket continuously for almost 40 years.

So why am I seriously in two minds about renewing for next season? Is it me or is it Hibs? Or to put it another way, is it 'that sounds like a you problem Dad' as my kids are fond of saying?

It's normal after a dismal season I reckon.

The good news is things can only get better!

Alex Trager
18-05-2022, 11:02 AM

I wouldn’t say it is a you thing mate. I feel the exact same but haven’t had anywhere near the amount of time you have supporting them

JeMeSouviens
18-05-2022, 11:09 AM
I think it's because all the impetus and momentum from 2016 has been well and truly squandered. We'll never experience a high like that again, let alone kick on further which it briefly looked like we just might.

Yet another transition beckons. Yay. :rolleyes:

CentreLine
18-05-2022, 11:15 AM
I think it's because all the impetus and momentum from 2016 has been well and truly squandered. We'll never experience a high like that again, let alone kick on further which it briefly looked like we just might.

I think that’s a fair point. For me it’s also about the lack of support and backing from the stands. My first outing was 1967 and I cannot remember a time when so many people came along to ER simply to abuse players and Hibs supporters.

I’ve not renewed. I’m grateful fir the additional thinking time but it’s unlikely I want to spend a lot of money to spend a Saturday afternoon hearing people clamber for relevance by plumbing ever deeper in to abuses of our club and players.

Key West
18-05-2022, 11:22 AM
I haven't renewed, I feel that too many games are being rescheduled also the type of football that has been on view recently is poor with teams wasting time and players feigning injuries and that's just to get into the top 6, abuse aimed at our own players tops it all, I can never understand that. I will attend as many games as I can though despite the reasons above.

A Hi-Bee
18-05-2022, 11:30 AM
It's normal after a dismal season I reckon.

The good news is things can only get better!

:faf: things can and do get worse, but always best to look on the bright side.
:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
18-05-2022, 11:36 AM

You probably spend too much time reading the tripe on here.

Smartie
18-05-2022, 11:47 AM
From the thread title I thought we were entering open letter territory.

I'm a switherer who is yet to renew. Having hated the Maloney era, I've simply got a spring in the step that this is going to be something different.

TBH I quite like Johnson and could see this working, so I probably will renew.

Onion
18-05-2022, 11:48 AM

Think there's something in this. I go back even further and never saw a time when I'd give up on Easter Road, but my feelings have shifted. 2016 was amazing but also the culmination of a great struggle. Decades of doing my bit to bring some real success to the club. The following years promised more but it has just fizzled out. More poor decisions by folk who look like transients have thrown away the feel good. Had we not won the Cup, I'm pretty sure I'd be back on the hamster wheel doing my bit but age and wisdom says I should be doing more enjoyable stuff on a Sat afternoon.

Northernhibee
18-05-2022, 11:49 AM
There’s a chance that Johnson might recruit well and having us play winning football, just as there’s a chance that JDT would have blown the budget on dross and crashed and burned.

He’s not as glamorous a name but if he’s impressed more in interviews then that’ll do for just now.

One Day Soon
18-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Think there's something in this. I go back even further and never saw a time when I'd give up on Easter Road, but my feelings have shifted. 2016 was amazing but also the culmination of a great struggle. Decades of doing my bit to bring some real success to the club. The following years promised more but it has just fizzled out. More poor decisions by folk who look like transients have thrown away the feel good. Had we not won the Cup, I'm pretty sure I'd be back on the hamster wheel doing my bit but age and wisdom says I should be doing more enjoyable stuff on a Sat afternoon.

This sentence goes to the heart of a lot of what I'm feeling I think.

Pretty Boy
18-05-2022, 12:04 PM
I've always been an early renewer and I always do it more or less without thinking.

I'm definitely changing though and it's more than just the bad season just gone. The biggest issue is I just don't like football all that much anymore. I don't watch many games other than Hibs, I'd say about 6 or 7 a season, so I'm not invested in everything that is going on in the game in the way others are and I used to be. Other teams pitch up at ER and I genuinely have no idea who their players are; that's less the case when it's Hearts, Rangers and Celtic but I still couldn't name you the usual starting 11 for any of those 3, maybe 5 or 6 at best. The Champions League bores me, again probably because I don't know who plays for Real Madrid, Juventus or Bayern Munich anymore.

I've renewed for next season but I increasingly find myself not needing much of an excuse to give games a miss now. Hibs have my money so I'm not harming them and I'm not sure they will care. That creates a situation where I start to think of all the other things I could be doing on a Saturday that quite frankly I would enjoy more than being at ER a. Can I say with 100% certainty that this time next year I will be ready to renew again? Unfortunately not. Times change, people change. Football is an expensive habit if you aren't getting much enjoyment for it, a habit I find more and more difficult to justify to myself.

RIP
18-05-2022, 12:07 PM

I hear you buddy. My dad Hugh took me to my first game in 1961. In 2019 I was diagnosed with inoperable cancer. Caught up in treatment and diagnoses, I let my season ticket lapse.

Looking back through the decades, I've never regretted a minute spent on the terracing with fellow supporters watching my beloved Hibernian FC. So many high points and enjoyable experiences I could write a book - maybe one day soon I will. The picture in my profile of me and my youngest in 2016 was an unforgettable day.

Howerver since the internet came in, I've wasted literally hundreds of days of this precious life reading posts from people telling us how they're no longer going to support the club.

I'm done!!

I'm going online today to buy a season ticket for 2022/2023. My club needs me and I need my club.

East Stand - see you in August! GGTTH.:flag:

DaveF
18-05-2022, 12:10 PM

Quit yer whinging and get it renewed. It's what you do.

hibsbollah
18-05-2022, 12:11 PM

Same debut game as me. I think many of us at that age were brought along to that fixture because of the stardust element. I hear the great man bumped the crowds up by a few thousand in those days, many of them youngsters. I can't commit to a season ticket anymore for work reasons but the poor performance on the field won't sway me either way. I'll go when I can.

A Hi-Bee
18-05-2022, 12:27 PM
I hear you buddy. My dad Hugh took me to my first game in 1961. In 2019 I was diagnosed with inoperable cancer. Caught up in treatment and diagnoses, I let my season ticket lapse.

Looking back through the decades, I've never regretted a minute spent on the terracing with fellow supporters watching my beloved Hibernian FC. So many high points and enjoyable experiences I could write a book - maybe one day soon I will. The picture in my profile of me and my youngest in 2016 was an unforgettable day.

Howerver since the internet came in, I've wasted literally hundreds of days of this precious life reading posts from people telling us how they're no longer going to support the club.

I'm done!!

I'm going online today to buy a season ticket for 2022/2023. My club needs me and I need my club.

****, this post alone has made me decide to renew my season ticket even if I never get to use it, someone else can, well done Sir. Best of luck to you.
:thumbsup:

allezsauzee
18-05-2022, 02:01 PM

I'm done!!

An inspiration post sir! There's never been much doubt in my mind that I'll be a ST holder again next season but you 've sealed the deal!

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2022, 02:38 PM

Pretty much sums up my experience since the cup win, it's sad but, don't see much changing.

leith lynx
18-05-2022, 02:43 PM

I'm done!!

I'm with you all the way RIP, you strike me as a great person. Inspiring.

Scottie
18-05-2022, 02:45 PM

I'm done!!

East Stand - see you in August! GGTTH.:flag:One of the best posts I've read on here for a long time. Hope your health is good at the minute. Long my your Lum reek pal. :aok:

Since452
18-05-2022, 02:47 PM

I'm done!!

Great post. Respect.

Malthibby
18-05-2022, 07:20 PM

I'm done!!

Good man, this should get posted as a banner at the top of all these self - abuse threads. Much respect.
GG

NAE NOOKIE
19-05-2022, 12:49 AM
I presume that back in the day Hibs.Net was set up by people who love Hibernian football club as an on line site where fans of Hibernian football club could come together to discuss the club they love. Part of that discussion way before the internet was and still is to be critical of the failings of the owners, the players the managers and in general to moan about whatever other failings we see as contributing towards stopping the club we 'support' from being everything we want it to be, or at the very least from reaching the potential it so frequently fails to live up to.

That's all part of supporting a football club, practically any club and unfortunately more often than not this club. But ye gods, you come onto this 'Hibs supporters' site these days and it's not just folk complaining about how the club is letting us all down, now what we are faced with is piles of posts from so called Hibs 'supporters' telling everybody why they wont be renewing their season tickets and some even making it pretty clear that they think anybody who does is a mug.

For every positive post asking folk to stick with it and supporting my point of view that 'supporting' your club shouldn't be simply down to it's results but rather to dedicate yourself to that support for better or worse ( coz that's the very definition of a football supporter ) there seems to be half a dozen others from folk telling us all why they won't be back, with some folk who seem to be of the opinion that the best way to 'support' a club having a downturn in it's fortunes is to withdraw their vocal and financial backing.

If there is a down side to logging into a site like this it isn't folk who disagree with your opinion on the merits of various players, it isn't folk who disagree with your opinion on the merits of managers past present or future, it isn't folk who disagree with you on how the owner is running the club, it isn't folk disagreeing with you over what the style of play should be and it isn't the folk who disagree with you over what the club's 'culture' should be. It is very much the depth of despair you feel reading posts from folk saying they are giving up on the club, most until it meets their measure of a club deserving of their support and some saying it's for good.

This place might have been set up to allow Hibs fans to discuss their club, but these days as a vehicle that in any way encourages Hibs fans to stick with their club it's about as much use as a last minute Hearts winner in a derby and about as enjoyable.

Brown Hibs
19-05-2022, 02:19 AM
Depressingly this thread says it all as far as where our club is at the minute. Personally I'm right behind Ron and LJ, not quite using dot net as a counselling tool... Yet.

Nakedmanoncrack
19-05-2022, 02:47 AM

You do remember we got relegated that season? Things are nowhere near as bad now as they were then!

LewysGot2
19-05-2022, 08:39 PM
You do remember we got relegated that season? Things are nowhere near as bad now as they were then!

Well, this.

And Bertie Auld.

Things have been much worse. :confused:

All this stuff is as bewildering as the umpteen The Thes fans on the radio and telly today saying they’re proud of their 10 year old club and they stick by them through thick and thin as if supporting one of the horses in a two horse raise was a challenge.

One Day Soon
19-05-2022, 09:04 PM
I presume that back in the day Hibs.Net was set up by people who love Hibernian football club as an on line site where fans of Hibernian football club could come together to discuss the club they love. Part of that discussion way before the internet was and still is to be critical of the failings of the owners, the players the managers and in general to moan about whatever other failings we see as contributing towards stopping the club we 'support' from being everything we want it to be, or at the very least from reaching the potential it so frequently fails to live up to.

That's all part of supporting a football club, practically any club and unfortunately more often than not this club. But ye gods, you come onto this 'Hibs supporters' site these days and it's not just folk complaining about how the club is letting us all down, now what we are faced with is piles of posts from so called Hibs 'supporters' telling everybody why they wont be renewing their season tickets and some even making it pretty clear that they think anybody who does is a mug.

For every positive post asking folk to stick with it and supporting my point of view that 'supporting' your club shouldn't be simply down to it's results but rather to dedicate yourself to that support for better or worse ( coz that's the very definition of a football supporter ) there seems to be half a dozen others from folk telling us all why they won't be back, with some folk who seem to be of the opinion that the best way to 'support' a club having a downturn in it's fortunes is to withdraw their vocal and financial backing.

If there is a down side to logging into a site like this it isn't folk who disagree with your opinion on the merits of various players, it isn't folk who disagree with your opinion on the merits of managers past present or future, it isn't folk who disagree with you on how the owner is running the club, it isn't folk disagreeing with you over what the style of play should be and it isn't the folk who disagree with you over what the club's 'culture' should be. It is very much the depth of despair you feel reading posts from folk saying they are giving up on the club, most until it meets their measure of a club deserving of their support and some saying it's for good.

This place might have been set up to allow Hibs fans to discuss their club, but these days as a vehicle that in any way encourages Hibs fans to stick with their club it's about as much use as a last minute Hearts winner in a derby and about as enjoyable.

So to go back to my OP you're coming down on the side of 'that sounds like a you problem Dad'?

NAE NOOKIE
20-05-2022, 01:09 PM
So to go back to my OP you're coming down on the side of 'that sounds like a you problem Dad'?

Deh ken mate, I just think supporting a fitba club should involve more of a commitment than spitting the dummy and walking away after one bad season.

In fact I don't think it should ever involve walking away, supporting your club shouldn't be a simple matter of going to games when the product is good and stopping going when it isn't .... as I've said many times, if there's one factor that entitles fitba fans to justified righteous indignation whenever some owner or CEO stupidly refers to them as 'customers' it's the fact that they stick with their clubs even when the product is pish ..... it's the single biggest factor that justifies fans being able to say 'we are the club' ..... lose that part of football supporter culture then all we become is 'customers' of a business as if we were shoppers at TESCO or ASDA who decide to shop at Aldi coz they are cheaper and have a better car park, with absolutely no thought whatsoever as to whether the lack of our presence will put TESCO or ASDA out of business.

SlickShoes
20-05-2022, 01:50 PM
I think it's because all the impetus and momentum from 2016 has been well and truly squandered.

I don't really agree, we got promoted the season after, then had another good season after that.

As much as winning the cup was huge for hibs, it literally was just winning the cup. If we had won the top league then you'd really have reason to say we achieved something earth-shattering that was then squandered.

I just don't think there was much more we could do after winning the cup than we actually did. Things have went poorly recently but all we can do is move forward, we still operate on a limited budget, winning the cup barely shifted that in comparison to what the top two teams have at their disposal.

WhileTheChief..
20-05-2022, 01:56 PM
Deh ken mate, I just think supporting a fitba club should involve more of a commitment than spitting the dummy and walking away after one bad season.

In fact I don't think it should ever involve walking away, supporting your club shouldn't be a simple matter of going to games when the product is good and stopping going when it isn't .... as I've said many times, if there's one factor that entitles fitba fans to justified righteous indignation whenever some owner or CEO stupidly refers to them as 'customers' it's the fact that they stick with their clubs even when the product is pish ..... it's the single biggest factor that justifies fans being able to say 'we are the club' ..... lose that part of football supporter culture then all we become is 'customers' of a business as if we were shoppers at TESCO or ASDA who decide to shop at Aldi coz they are cheaper and have a better car park, with absolutely no thought whatsoever as to whether the lack of our presence will put TESCO or ASDA out of business.

If all of what you say were true, every club's fanbase would remain constant season after season.

They rarely do though, unless you're winning everything in sight.

Play well and win, the crowds go up. Lose, they go down.

It's always been this way. Even back in the amazing 50s or 70s or to the year dot.

We're no different to any other fan base.

Logging on here and reading negative stuff about our owners or players isn't the problem. It's the needless arguing between posters.

You can disagree with someone on their view about LJ or RG or whoever, but there's absolutely no need for posters to be calling others names or clueless or whatever just because they see things differently. This isn't directed at you, just an observation.

You're clearly very passionate about what it means to be a Hibs fan. I guess I just don't feel it as strongly as you. Still a Hibs fan though.