PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Ambition Hibs?

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 10:26 AM
It's not the appointment the vast majority of fans (from the poll on here) wanted, instead we've got the same kind of appointment we always seem to go for. To go back to a recent interview instead of getting the Ferrari we've ended up with, well, not even a Toyota.

When Ron came in he said something along the lines of wanting to challenge at the top of the league, taken to mean challenge Celtic for the title.

We have been told our commercial operations are at record levels and rising, we have record amounts of cash in the bank, the commercial side of the club seems to be delivering what is says.

Where is the ambition and investment on the Football side of things?

If not on the playing/management side of things where is the investment going? A new hospitality Suit wont save us from another season of turgid football next season.

How long are we going to sit and accept the soundbites from the Board and owner without questioning the lack of improvement?

We need to get the excitement and joy back in all aspects of the club before it's too late.

JXM73
18-05-2022, 10:28 AM
Where's the official statement or are you wetting the bed from twatter feeds?

Heisenberg
18-05-2022, 10:29 AM
Where's the official statement or are you wetting the bed from twatter feeds?

It’s definitely Johnson. It’s all over the press now.

CraigHibee
While I'm not overly joyed, who knows he might do well if he's appointed just need to see what happens. Any new manager is potential a risk but I'm prepared to give him a bit time

Jones28
And there it is!

Johnson out!

Before he's even actually appointed.

Hibs.net jumps the shark.

Hibernian Verse
18-05-2022, 10:30 AM
The ambition will be defined by the transfer window.

Since452
18-05-2022, 10:31 AM
It's not the appointment the vast majority of fans (from the poll on here) wanted, instead we've got the same kind of appointment we always seem to go for. To go back to a recent interview instead of getting the Ferrari we've ended up with, well, not even a Toyota.

When Ron came in he said something along the lines of wanting to challenge at the top of the league, taken to mean challenge Celtic for the title.

We have been told our commercial operations are at record levels and rising, we have record amounts of cash in the bank, the commercial side of the club seems to be delivering what is says.

If not on the playing/management side of things where is the investment going? A new hospitality Suit wont save us from another season of turgid football next season.

How long are we going to sit and accept the soundbites from the Board and owner without questioning the lack of improvement?

We need to get the excitement and joy back in all aspects of the club before it's too late.

Remember Terry Butcher?

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 10:32 AM
And there it is!

Johnson out!

the point of my post isn't necessarily aimed at the manager.

Jones28
18-05-2022, 10:34 AM

Oh really? So whats the point in it then? Having a go at the board before the transfer window is even open and we don't have a manager.

We signed David Marshall, not a bad start.

And it just so happens that it appears when LJ rumours start gathering pace.

MrSmith
18-05-2022, 10:35 AM
It has been the football on the park that has left me delusional and fed up with the style of play for the last 4 years. I really hoped Maloney could change that but turned out a disaster unfortunately. However, LJ may just make us play with a bit more flair and passion that hopefully, will get our bums off seats. I want the team to look like they want to win and perform in that manner, it might mean glorious failure but I'm up for it!:flag:

Diclonius
18-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Here it come

marinello59
18-05-2022, 10:38 AM

We haven’t even had an official appointment yet and the boots are going in. Mental.

GreenGray
18-05-2022, 10:41 AM
We haven’t even had an official appointment yet and the boots are going in. Mental.

Are fans not allowed to give their opinion though? My first game of season I’ll be there supporting don’t get me wrong but I’m still allowed to express my disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 10:43 AM
Oh really? So whats the point in it then? Having a go at the board before the transfer window is even open and we don't have a manager.

We had the chance to do something ambitious, something a bit different, something exciting compared to the past appointments, who, other than possibly 3 in the 10-15 years have been flops. But it appears the financial backing, or lack of it, has stunted our ambition but The Board push the boat out for better functions suits.

marinello59
18-05-2022, 10:45 AM
Are fans not allowed to give their opinion though? My first game of season I’ll be there supporting don’t get me wrong but I’m still allowed to express my disappointment.

The OP has basically trashed the abilities of the man he thinks may be appointed to beat the owner of the club with. I am less than impressed with the current regime but this is bonkers, let’s wait and see who actually gets the job first.

A Hi-Bee
18-05-2022, 10:47 AM
If it is him then good luck to him, but low ambitions are about level with low expectations, time will tell.

flash
18-05-2022, 10:48 AM
We had the chance to do something ambitious, something a bit different, something exciting compared to the past appointments, who, other than possibly 3 in the 10-15 years have been flops. But it appears the financial backing, or lack of it, has stunted our ambition but The Board push the boat out for better functions suits.

We did that with Maloney.

Steve20
18-05-2022, 10:51 AM
Hibs don't do ambition. We are a club that aim to 'get to Hampden' instead of the aiming to win something. So we were never going to be ambitious when it comes to a manager.

This is always going to be the level of manager we got. That's why I won't be getting as worked up as others. Hopefully he's allowed to replace the dross with some decent players.

Good luck to him.
Target - win a trophy.

500miles
18-05-2022, 10:53 AM

I do suspect we feel we've had our fingers burnt previously.

We look like we're signing a manager who has a history of lasting at his clubs - over 2 years on average - as opposed to one who lasts less than a year on average.

Tyler Durden
18-05-2022, 10:54 AM
Can those who are all hysterical about Johnson name an example of a non Old Firm team in Scotland, making what they would consider to be an ambitious appointment?

basehibby
18-05-2022, 10:55 AM

I know he's not as glamorous as JDT but Johnson looks like a good appointment to me. Both looked good choices to me.

JeMeSouviens
18-05-2022, 10:58 AM

This guy has had multiple jobs and got a Swedish team to the group stage of the CL. He's hardly the completely untried rookie.

Mr. Wonderful
18-05-2022, 11:02 AM
If we'd hired Johnson instead of Hecky or after Lennon it would've been seen as very ambitious..

Jones28
18-05-2022, 11:20 AM

Unsubstantiated pish.

How do we know what happened? What if the other candidate had an awful interview?

Johnson hasn't even been confirmed other than some Twitter buzz that's based off one post.

Since452
18-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Aberdeen. A similar sized club with similar aspirations appointed Jim Goodwin. I'm happy with our choice.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-05-2022, 11:26 AM
Posted on another tread, but relevant here.

Looks like it's LJ then. I'm ok with that. Reading his resume, it looks pretty good tbh. We've taken long enough so i'd like to think we've been through the right process

He's certainly not exotic, but he might just be what is needed to succeed at our level in Scottish football:

Robbie Neilson, failed at MK Dons
Graham Alexander, turfed out at multiple clubs down south
Malky Mckay, failed at a few clubs down south (extra baggage too)
Jim Goodwin, jury's out
Derek McInnes, struggled down south

The only club in the prem doing something different is DU and he almost got sacked halfway through the season.

We're signing DM, if we keep our current squad, we're a CB, 2 CMs and a couple of attackers away from competing for third again

Let the new era commence

Waxy
18-05-2022, 11:27 AM
Lets see who we sign. It’s more important the players we bring in.
David Marshall for starters.

One Day Soon
18-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Posted on another tread, but relevant here.

Looks like it's LJ then. I'm ok with that. Reading his resume, it looks pretty good tbh. We've taken long enough so i'd like to think we've been through the right process

He's certainly not exotic, but he might just be what is needed to succeed at our level in Scottish football:

Robbie Neilson, failed at MK Dons
Graham Alexander, turfed out at multiple clubs down south
Malky Mckay, failed at a few clubs down south (extra baggage too)
Jim Goodwin, jury's out
Derek McInnes, struggled down south

The only club in the prem doing something different is DU and he almost got sacked halfway through the season.

We're signing DM, if we keep our current squad, we're a CB, 2 CMs and a couple of attackers away from competing for third again

Let the new era commence

In my book we're also a Captain, centre mid playmaker, winger, at least two players with pace and at least one proven goalscorer away from a first team.

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2022, 11:29 AM

1 Who has been appointed?

2 Along the lines ?.

3 I believe it to be the case in some of that. Some figures surprised me given covid restrictions

4 Do you have any idea how much so far the new regime has been spent on players coming in,transfer fees and new/extended contracts.?

5 Should we be hiring airplanes,sharpening pitchforks and siiting on the road blocking HTC?:greengrin

In the words of Private James Frazer "we're doomed a tell ye. We're doomed" !

A Hi-Bee
18-05-2022, 11:34 AM
Just no got much enthusiasm left for my great old club, most of what is/has been happening does not add much for me, perhaps time to forget about them for a while, but Hibs are a difficult addiction to break.

18-05-2022, 11:40 AM

You are allowed to express your opinion and if you post it on here then fans are allowed to express their opinion of your opinion.

Forza Fred
18-05-2022, 11:42 AM

I remember reading similar fans expressions in the media when a Glasgow club appointed some Australian guy who nobody had heard of.

How did that work out again?

I know its not de rigueur, but I’ll wait and see how the incoming manager performs before passing judgement on him.

Spike Mandela
18-05-2022, 11:48 AM
Hibs ambition doesn’t really matter now, Lee Johnson’s does. Hopefully he has plenty and maybe it shone through in the interview.

BegbieHSC
18-05-2022, 11:48 AM
The board evidently don’t give a flying **** about fan voice, because they’ve went with the manager that no fans wanted compared to our other option. It might sound hysterical, but a board who don’t listen to fans is very, very concerning.

Northernhibee
18-05-2022, 11:53 AM
The board evidently don’t give a flying **** about fan voice, because they’ve went with the manager that no fans wanted compared to our other option. It might sound hysterical, but a board who don’t listen to fans is very, very concerning.

By listening to the fans shouting “Jack Ross GTF” in the stands we ended up in a far bigger mess than if we’d stuck to our guns.

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Like they did when they appointed Terry Butcher?

Ozyhibby
18-05-2022, 11:57 AM
Let’s just wait and see. If he signs a couple of centre mids and a couple of strikers then he might do well. If he perseveres with the like of Joe Newall then he’ll go the same way the last three managers who did that went.
Good luck to him I say.

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2022, 11:58 AM

So the board ignored a poll voted on by a few dozen people on a website.
"our other option" may have said no to the club.
Anyway,nothing official yet.
Just trolls/attention seekers,so far.

Hibbyradge
18-05-2022, 11:59 AM

Sorry, but what?

Hibbyradge
18-05-2022, 12:00 PM

Did the other boy have a good interview?

Was he interested in the contract we offered.

Did we even speak to him?

Onion
18-05-2022, 12:03 PM
Can those who are all hysterical about Johnson name an example of a non Old Firm team in Scotland, making what they would consider to be an ambitious appointment?

2012/13 Aberdeen, Derek McInness. They saw the hole that opened up withThe Rangers demise and backed him with real money to become the 2nd best team by a distance. The only thing that stopped them doing well was a vg Celtic team going for 10IAR and winning trebles.

Jock O
18-05-2022, 12:05 PM
Its a shame to see the FB type uninformed nonsense and hysteria coming on over here, nobody seems to be thinking that Tomasson might just have said no, despite Hibs trying their best to get him. He is not going to be short of offers so I suspect it would have been as much about us selling the club and its desire to him, and convincing him why this is correct next step in his career, he seems to have left Malmo looking for a step up and like it or not he may not view us as the right step depending on what other interest he is getting.

The negativity about the current process also doesnt seem to align to where we, and most Scottish clubs, are in the football world these days, both in money and profile. Therefore getting a manager of the profile we all want may not be in our hands, we can only try,

I get why people are frustrated at current exec, but thought in RG last interview it was obvious he gets it, and despite what some people seem to think it really is not in his interest to get it wrong again, but unlike in business he can't just go and headhunt who he wants. Like it or not, there are constraints specific to Football we are bound by,

I agree its a worrying time, and things look bleak at moment, but I really think Gordon has lots to lose by getting this wrong, in a world where lets be honest, more people get it wrong than right. So I think it is a case of support as best we can and have a little more patience, as trying as that currently is,

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 12:10 PM
Unsubstantiated pish.

How do we know what happened? What if the other candidate had an awful interview?

Johnson hasn't even been confirmed other than some Twitter buzz that's based off one post.

We never even got as far as talking to/interviewing JDT himself as the offers put to his agent were so low. we struggled to match half his deal at Malmo.

worcesterhibby
18-05-2022, 12:13 PM
This place is a mess at the moment. The only thing that matters is that the new manager, whoever he is, wins football matches. If we are top 5 next year, and beat hearts at home twice, most people will be happy. All the pompous crap on here from people demanding this and demanding that is utterly irkesome.

Let's find out who the new manager is, let's give him a fair chance and some vocal support and let's back the team he puts on the park.

:flag::flag:

Onion
18-05-2022, 12:14 PM

Ambition needs to be funded. Unless RG commits to dipping into his own pocket or we get a SJM windfall, ability to strengthen squad will be limited. This must have been part of the decision and discussion with candidates.

Mick O'Rourke
2012/13 Aberdeen, Derek McInness. They saw the hole that opened up withThe Rangers demise and backed him with real money to become the 2nd best team by a distance. The only thing that stopped them doing well was a vg Celtic team going for 10IAR and winning trebles.

And had Celtic felt a real threat from Aberdeen(or anyone for that matter )their largest shareholder would have topped up the piggy bank.
He is is a billionaire.
Maybe he could have to stop the hun getting their first major title.

Celtic blew 10IAR ,though,money or otherwise
The hun sneaked up on them and they panicked big style.
On and off the field.

Hibbyradge
We never even got as far as talking to/interviewing JDT himself as the offers put to his agent were so low. we struggled to match half his deal at Malmo.

So we couldn't afford him.

You understand that, yes?

Tyler Durden
18-05-2022, 12:15 PM

Firstly we tried the "something different" with Maloney.

Secondly you're just speculating widely on the financial backing point. Lee Johnson would have been on much bigger money in his past few jobs than we pay. Do you think he's coming here to spend less on the football side than we did 2/3 years ago?

Finally your point about function suites is bonkers. We will at times need to invest to maintain and upgrade the stadium etc. Ultimately this is how we can increase our revenues which translate into a bigger budget for the first team. It's happening already under Ron Gordon. Spending it wisely is another matter but anyone moaning about Hibs trying to do things on the cheap is way off the mark IMO.

Jones28
18-05-2022, 12:17 PM

We struggled to match the wages of a team who played in the Champions League group stages and won 2 league titles - is that what you're meaning?

ScottB
18-05-2022, 12:22 PM
Ultimately, if Johnson is the guy who performed the best in the interview process, they’ve made the right choice as far as they can make it.

We don’t know, for sure, who else was actually interviewed, but all we can say is that the Board think that, all told, Johnson is the guy.

So now we wait to see how it goes. It’s not more ‘ambitious’ to go appoint someone else purely because he meets some arbitrary name recognition test, or has a different background.

Say it was down to Johnson, JDT and Keane, the Board, after the hiring process, thinks Johnson is the best guy for the job, so they’re right to appoint him, not pick the guy they think the fans will be excited about short term, if they think he’s wrong long term.

Now we wait to see whether their conclusion works out. Draw a line under it, see how we go.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-05-2022, 12:22 PM
How ambitious were Hearts when they pinched a manager that they had previously discarded? Who had already failed at the level LJ has been stable at?

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 12:24 PM
Sorry, but what?

His opening interview on Sky saying he wants to initially be best of the rest, we we had that and ripped those structures up, and then move on to challenging for the championship.

Is It On....
18-05-2022, 12:30 PM
And there it is!

Johnson out!

Happy Days then...

Stokesy's on fire
18-05-2022, 12:31 PM
This appointment is a bit boring and uninspiring. It will take serious player recruitment now..I just hope when they announce Johnson they don't call it a 5 year plan as we are forever in some sort of plan for the future yet our future never arrives.

davhibby
18-05-2022, 12:35 PM

Well Lee Johnson has a much better CV than McInnes did prior to going to Aberdeen so you should be looking at this in a similar fashion then no?

WestStandWillie
18-05-2022, 12:40 PM
Our support has certainly evolved a few fans into wet wipes.

I've seen one guy cancel his ST renewal and there's posts on Facelessbook, in those Hibs pages, that are downright ridiculous and uncalled for.

Writing the new man off before the ink has even dried. That's a new low for us. What next, protests outside the West Stand if we lose against Norwich?

Really makes you wonder who in their right mind would want to manage us when you have all that toxicity coming from the fanbase via social media channels.

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 12:42 PM
We struggled to match the wages of a team who played in the Champions League group stages and won 2 league titles - is that what you're meaning?

At the time he was there the top earner was on less than £9k a week, so they aren't massively above our levels of pay, considering what Boyle and Meuller were on.

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2022, 12:48 PM
If our new manager is Lee Johnson, i dont see that as not having ambition.
Some names mentioned over the weeks were unrealistic in my view.

Lets hope there are no more of these "guessing new managers "threads for a long time.

GGTTH

hibee-boys
18-05-2022, 12:48 PM

Exactly, I suggest that by appointing Maloney we were being ambitious, look how that turned out! Appreciate that we all think Hibs are a big deal but who do we honestly expect to appoint as a manager other than people relatively new to management, managers already up here or guys from lower leagues in England.

NAE NOOKIE
18-05-2022, 12:58 PM
FFS ..... The guy's last two jobs were Bristol City and Sunderland, two clubs with probably ten times the spending power of Hibs, why didn't they appoint a stellar name instead of Lee Johnson? Could it be he interviewed well and persuaded them he had something to offer and lets not even pretend the fact that he was sacked from these two jobs means anything, if that was a factor in deciding whether or not a manager could do a job at your club practically 90% of current European managers would still be signing on.

Lets give the guy a bloody chance and in my opinion the real test of Hibs ambition isn't appointing this manager, it's how we back him in the summer transfer window, fail to do that properly and then it will be time to get seriously worried.

So basically lets stop wetting the sodding bed over this and give the guy a chance ... oh and just to be clear I couldn't give a flying *@"# if he played for Hearts, I stand to be corrected but I'm willing to bet he wouldn't even make the top 300 of Hearts fans greatest or most memorable players.

hibby rae
18-05-2022, 12:58 PM

George Burley for Hearts, Steve Clarke and Derek McInnes for Killie, Neil Lennon for Hibs, Paul Hartley for Cove, Ray McKinnon for Queen's Park

Sergio sledge
18-05-2022, 01:35 PM

When Aberdeen appointed McInnes he had just been sacked by Bristol City with the team sitting at the bottom of the championship.

TedZ
18-05-2022, 01:41 PM
Exactly, I suggest that by appointing Maloney we were being ambitious, look how that turned out! Appreciate that we all think Hibs are a big deal but who do we honestly expect to appoint as a manager other than people relatively new to management, managers already up here or guys from lower leagues in England.

Although I disagreed with the appointment of our previous manager, I understood it was a gamble which might have worked, even if it was a long shot and I rarely comment on this forum as people do have a wide variety of opinions and I am reluctant to engage in a possible war of words with people who are obviously unarmed, but I am so livid at the hypocrisy behind the current appointment, I feel the need to comment on this occasion. For the owner to pretend that Hibs are an ambitious club and then make this appointment is just a joke and I cannot understand how anyone can defend it, apart from Hearts supporters. One of the definitions of madness, is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result and yet we appoint yet another ex Sunderland failure. If the club cannot attract a better class of manager, then fine, just admit it right from the start and I would accept the appointment of an up and coming Scottish manager, in those circumstances, rather than pretend that the appointment of a second rate English manager was ambitious.
I am also of the opinion that the playing squad is often of more importance than the actual manager and the signing of some good players might bring future success to Hibs, no matter who the manager is. However, the lack of ambition behind the managerial appointment does not bode well for our future activity in the transfer market and I fully support the actions of those fans who will not renew their season tickets until the current owner either shapes up or ships out.

Steve88
18-05-2022, 01:45 PM

Unbelievable. Go join Kickback

makaveli1875
18-05-2022, 01:52 PM
Don’t know a lot about him but being realistic we were never getting a Roy Keane or a Tomasson .
He’s got all summer to put a team together and get things organized . Here’s hoping he hits the ground running and gets us winning again .
Welcome aboard Lee , used to be a Jambo but he’s alright now

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2022, 02:02 PM
Unbelievable. Go join Kickback

Aye,there's nought as queer as folk.

marinello59
18-05-2022, 02:03 PM
FFS ..... The guy's last two jobs were Bristol City and Sunderland, two clubs with probably ten times the spending power of Hibs, why didn't they appoint a stellar name instead of Lee Johnson? Could it be he interviewed well and persuaded them he had something to offer and lets not even pretend the fact that he was sacked from these two jobs means anything, if that was a factor in deciding whether or not a manager could do a job at your club practically 90% of current European managers would still be signing on.

Lets give the guy a bloody chance and in my opinion the real test of Hibs ambition isn't appointing this manager, it's how we back him in the summer transfer window, fail to do that properly and then it will be time to get seriously worried.

So basically lets stop wetting the sodding bed over this and give the guy a chance ... oh and just to be clear I couldn't give a flying *@"# if he played for Hearts, I stand to be corrected but I'm willing to bet he wouldn't even make the top 300 of Hearts fans greatest or most memorable players.

:top marks

Jones28
18-05-2022, 02:11 PM
At the time he was there the top earner was on less than £9k a week, so they aren't massively above our levels of pay, considering what Boyle and Meuller were on.

Nobody knows what they were on. The reported £10k a week for Mueller has NEVER been confirmed. It was a random figure plucked out the air.

GreenGray
18-05-2022, 03:42 PM
You are allowed to express your opinion and if you post it on here then fans are allowed to express their opinion of your opinion.

There’s a difference between replying with an actual opinion and just saying “some fan you are he’s not even started yet” etc.

hibsforeurope
18-05-2022, 03:46 PM
This post wasn’t meant to be a dig at the (reported) new manager, I was more questioning the boards role in proceeding.
I think they talk a good game but what they deliver is far from convincing.
There are similarities at hibs to why kensell left Norwich, this won’t work out well for us.
But ultimately I don’t trust what Ron is telling us.
Why is he so keen to buy up supporter held shares? why does he not want hsl to have a voice or to increase their shareholding?
Why is he so keen to get rid of all remnants of the previous regime, long standing hibs people removed from the club.
Where did the money come from to buy hibs, was it his, did it come from a third party, is as it a loan from the offshore bank he’s involved with?
These are quite important details that remain unanswered but no one seems to care.
We keep getting promised or expect the Ferrari is on its way but so far there’s is no sign.

This will increase the calls that I’m a yam but I can assure you I’m not. I’ll be in my seat in the west again next season as it a what i do rather than in any real expectation now.

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2022, 03:59 PM
This post wasn’t meant to be a dig at the (reported) new manager, I was more questioning the boards role in proceeding.
I think they talk a good game but what they deliver is far from convincing.
There are similarities at hibs to why kensell left Norwich, this won’t work out well for us.
But ultimately I don’t trust what Ron is telling us.
Why is he so keen to buy up supporter held shares? why does he not want hsl to have a voice or to increase their shareholding?
Why is he so keen to get rid of all remnants of the previous regime, long standing hibs people removed from the club.
Where did the money come from to buy hibs, was it his, did it come from a third party, is as it a loan from the offshore bank he’s involved with?
These are quite important details that remain unanswered but no one seems to care.
We keep getting promised or expect the Ferrari is on its way but so far there’s is no sign.

This will increase the calls that I’m a yam but I can assure you I’m not. I’ll be in my seat in the west again next season as it a what i do rather than in any real expectation now.

The bits in bold.

Is he trying to buy supporter-held shares?

Not sure what your concern is about the financing. He has a long, and public, business record which is open to a fair amount of scrutiny. Whether it's his money, borrowed from another of his companies, or a bank (onshore or off) is surely not that much of a concern. Were there rumblings of a Romanov or Qatari-type, you might have a point. But are there?

jacomo
18-05-2022, 04:27 PM
While I'm not overly joyed, who knows he might do well if he's appointed just need to see what happens. Any new manager is potential a risk but I'm prepared to give him a bit time

:agree:

Paul1642
18-05-2022, 04:30 PM

I thought Daniel Stendel was really ambitious and was worried it would click big time for them. Fortunately the club were a mess at the time.

jacomo
18-05-2022, 05:37 PM
George Burley for Hearts, Steve Clarke and Derek McInnes for Killie, Neil Lennon for Hibs, Paul Hartley for Cove, Ray McKinnon for Queen's Park

All good examples.

But the stars have to align, and just chasing a big name for the sake of it is a sure fire way to get rinsed.

timewilltell
18-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Although I disagreed with the appointment of our previous manager, I understood it was a gamble which might have worked, even if it was a long shot and I rarely comment on this forum as people do have a wide variety of opinions and I am reluctant to engage in a possible war of words with people who are obviously unarmed, but I am so livid at the hypocrisy behind the current appointment, I feel the need to comment on this occasion. For the owner to pretend that Hibs are an ambitious club and then make this appointment is just a joke and I cannot understand how anyone can defend it, apart from Hearts supporters. One of the definitions of madness, is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result and yet we appoint yet another ex Sunderland failure. If the club cannot attract a better class of manager, then fine, just admit it right from the start and I would accept the appointment of an up and coming Scottish manager, in those circumstances, rather than pretend that the appointment of a second rate English manager was ambitious.
I am also of the opinion that the playing squad is often of more importance than the actual manager and the signing of some good players might bring future success to Hibs, no matter who the manager is. However, the lack of ambition behind the managerial appointment does not bode well for our future activity in the transfer market and I fully support the actions of those fans who will not renew their season tickets until the current owner either shapes up or ships out.

Utter tosh..

jacomo
18-05-2022, 06:00 PM

Presumably if we appointed Roy Keane you’d be fuming too?

I mean, he also failed at Sunderland…

silverhibee
18-05-2022, 06:00 PM

Same crap with Maloney, we just never learn.

Ron should have just went for one of the top managers on .net. :thumbsup:

bigwheel
18-05-2022, 06:01 PM

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacomo
18-05-2022, 06:01 PM

Me! Me! Me!

One of these days the club will listen :greengrin

WestStandhibee
18-05-2022, 06:07 PM

Derek McInnes who was not long sacked from Bristol City? Ambitious? :hmmm:

NC1875
18-05-2022, 06:08 PM

Ray McKinnon and Paul Hartley 😂😂 ambition

Iain G
So much angst based on no concrete news whatsoever 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway who is this Anne Bition and can she manage a football team? 😁

Argylehibby
From a friend who is a Bristol City fan.
He did a good job for us, always split opinion, but only because of his surname as he played when his dad was manager and some fans couldn’t get over that…..We had an identity and good style of play and is forward thinking with training methods.

Dalianwanda
18-05-2022, 06:09 PM

I’m happy enough with him but the ambition will be shown in the players we bring in.

hibby rae
18-05-2022, 06:12 PM
Ray McKinnon and Paul Hartley 😂😂 ambition

Yes, for a team that had went professional for the first time in it's history and was in League Two and a team in the SPFL for the first time. But feel free to ignore the context.

HFC 0-7
18-05-2022, 06:13 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. This appointment doesn’t fill
Me with optimism to be honest. Nothing wrong with people saying how they feel about it either way. It is a fans forum after all.

NC1875
18-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Yes, for a team that had went professional for the first time in it's history and was in League Two and a team in the SPFL for the first time. But feel free to ignore the context.

So who should we have appointed ? Someone ambitious ? Like who ?

And they’d be a guaranteed success would they ?

Why don’t all teams just do that eh, so simple.

hibby rae
18-05-2022, 06:20 PM
So who should we have appointed ? Someone ambitious ? Like who ?

And they’d be a guaranteed success would they ?

Why don’t all teams just do that eh, so simple.

No one ever is.

Because they aren't easy appointments to make, a variety of factors have to be at play.

But I would say, after being linked with numerous names, and Hibs stating there was more interest than last time from a higher calibre of candidate, they have built themselves up for a fall in comms terms as this seems anti-climatic.

chrisski33
18-05-2022, 06:30 PM
Just imagine this time next year we will have finished 3rd and in a scottish cup final in a season where we beat Hearts in every game we played them. Lot of humble pie being eaten by some fans. Well lets hope so! Time to give LJ a chance

Dalianwanda
18-05-2022, 06:37 PM
This appointment is a bit boring and uninspiring. It will take serious player recruitment now..I just hope when they announce Johnson they don't call it a 5 year plan as we are forever in some sort of plan for the future yet our future never arrives.

I think what is more boring and uninspiring is the negative assumptions being spouted as facts on here & social media..PersonalyIm not bothered about being inspired or entertained by the manager but I do by whatI see on the pitch.

.I agree its going to take serious player recruitment & the board have already stated that they are aiming for that (this would have been the same with any manager)..We may (or may not) have more money to play with on the player pool front due to this appointment.

Im just glad its made, that the board have taken their time (I'd guess thats because its been a thorough process) & were ready to get going for a successful next season.

NAE NOOKIE
18-05-2022, 10:57 PM

So you fully support folk turning their back on the club because the owner hasn't turned us into the third force in Scotland after two years in charge. Well here's a wee heads up for you.

Tom Farmer was owner of Hibs for 30 years, in that time the club won 3 trophies, was relegated twice and barely made a dent in the top half of the league. With the exception of Harry Swan not a single Hibs owner has taken this club to the position it should be in for anything like a consistent period and you are saying fans should chuck it after one bad season on the back of an owner barely in the door compared to the likes of Tom Farmer or Tom Hart. There's a word for clubs with fans like you ............... defunct ..... now sod off to kickback.

Forza Fred
19-05-2022, 01:29 AM
I think what is more boring and uninspiring is the negative assumptions being spouted as facts on here & social media..PersonalyIm not bothered about being inspired or entertained by the manager but I do by whatI see on the pitch.

.I agree its going to take serious player recruitment & the board have already stated that they are aiming for that (this would have been the same with any manager)..We may (or may not) have more money to play with on the player pool front due to this appointment.

Im just glad its made, that the board have taken their time (I'd guess thats because its been a thorough process) & were ready to get going for a successful next season.

Agree!

Some fans I think are looking for some kind of a Messiah to be appointed and all will be well!

I think many social media critics didn’t think Ange Who was in the Messiah class either when first announced, but over in Glasgow he seems to be regarded as a saint by half the city now.

Let’s just let the new guy in, sign some much needed replacement players and play a few games at least before we judge and crucify him.

flash
19-05-2022, 06:03 AM
If ever a post proved the old adage "quality over quantity" it's this.

CapitalGreen
19-05-2022, 06:14 AM

So 6 appointments from about 50 clubs spanning a 17 year period.

WestCoastHibby
19-05-2022, 06:24 AM

Speroni at Kilmarnock 😆
McGhee at Dundee😆😆😆

WestCoastHibby
19-05-2022, 06:36 AM
Many saying “give the man a chance” absolutely 100% and we will. Opportunity has knocked and I’m sure he will step up to the challenge .
However I can’t feel any more underwhelmed at the moment about the club I’ve followed for fifty odd years.
I always thought too many thought the sunshine shone out of Leeann Dempster and that she was untouchable. However since she left it’s just been a catalogue of poor decisions one after another.
All the bookies favourite guff about a box office appt ( Keane ) and now we are going for someone who was not on anyones Radar.
Not so much box office but more the guy who heats up the popcorn

hibsforeurope
19-05-2022, 06:57 AM
The bits in bold.

Is he trying to buy supporter-held shares?

Not sure what your concern is about the financing. He has a long, and public, business record which is open to a fair amount of scrutiny. Whether it's his money, borrowed from another of his companies, or a bank (onshore or off) is surely not that much of a concern. Were there rumblings of a Romanov or Qatari-type, you might have a point. But are there?

He is trying to buy up the shares, he has certainly made offers for family shares held on multiple occasions since he came in.

If it’s borrowed money, what is it secured against, what guarantees have been made. We don’t know enough about Ron to discount Romanov similarities. But I bet the yams wish they’d questioned things more before it was too late.

happiehibbie
19-05-2022, 07:07 AM
I come on here and boy do people love to judge before anything happens

Lets give the manager the benefit of the doubt It cant be worse than what we just witnessed.

He is a Jambo was the best one yet, so was Gordon Smith, David Gray, Alan Gordon to name three.

Lets park this season hopefully RG steps up with a transfer kitty, Injuries to key players will heal up

We build a team round Porteous, Doig,

We play more than a one Striker,

enjoy the close season and get ready to go again when it kicks off

Sorry for the positive post :)

Spike Mandela
19-05-2022, 07:08 AM
Many saying “give the man a chance” absolutely 100% and we will. Opportunity has knocked and I’m sure he will step up to the challenge .
However I can’t feel any more underwhelmed at the moment about the club I’ve followed for fifty odd years.
I always thought too many thought the sunshine shone out of Leeann Dempster and that she was untouchable. However since she left it’s just been a catalogue of poor decisions one after another.
All the bookies favourite guff about a box office appt ( Keane ) and now we are going for someone who was not on anyones Radar.
Not so much box office but more the guy who heats up the popcorn

None of the managers at Hearts, Dundee Utd, Motherwell or Ross co are what you would describe as ambitious, inspiring or box office but have managed European football and top six.

Solid, dependable characters who got the best out of their players’ sometimes meagre talents. For me we have such a person signed up and it boils down to player recruitment now.

Bridge hibs
19-05-2022, 07:12 AM
Not so much box office but more the guy who heats up the popcornLeeann made mistakes too lets not forget, but on your other point, bookies favourite guff about a box office appointment. Thats exactly what it was, guff. Same with the press throwing names into the hat in a bit to get clicks and sales, we would all have liked a “box office Manager”

Folk buy into that as seen by the many posts on here, Im guilty of that too by the way. We just have to assume Lee Johnson has what it takes to improve us and have us challenging at the right end of the table, we cant change the decision, its in his hands now and hopefully he will be well backed on and off the pitch

hibby rae
19-05-2022, 07:39 AM
So 6 appointments from about 50 clubs spanning a 17 year period.

Sorry I didn't realise I was meant to do a comprehensive list.

He asked for one example I gave him six.

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2022, 08:04 AM
He is trying to buy up the shares, he has certainly made offers for family shares held on multiple occasions since he came in.

If it’s borrowed money, what is it secured against, what guarantees have been made. We don’t know enough about Ron to discount Romanov similarities. But I bet the yams wish they’d questioned things more before it was too late.

How is he going about making these offers for shares? And how much is he offering? I haven't had any offers for mine, nor have my family or anyone I know. That's not to say it isn't happening, but I think we might have heard on here, at east.

As for digging deeper into the financing, Bydand is registered in Delaware. They have a register of companies, just as we have in the UK. You could probably find more of what you're looking for on there.

What is the offshore bank you say he's involved with?

Hibbyradge
19-05-2022, 08:29 AM

Tell him he can have my shares for market value.

I can't think why he'd want them though, given he already has the majority holding.

hibsforeurope
19-05-2022, 08:49 AM
How is he going about making these offers for shares? And how much is he offering? I haven't had any offers for mine, nor have my family or anyone I know. That's not to say it isn't happening, but I think we might have heard on here, at east.

As for digging deeper into the financing, Bydand is registered in Delaware. They have a register of companies, just as we have in the UK. You could probably find more of what you're looking for on there.

What is the offshore bank you say he's involved with?

I'm not going to disclose figures but offer letters have been sent on more than two occasions.

its a Bermudan investment bank, it might be innocent but why all the secrecy and shade.

MWHIBBIES
19-05-2022, 09:08 AM
If the fans behave like this he will fail. If you support Hibs, you'll be supporting Lee Johnson as you would any other manager

Hibbyradge
19-05-2022, 09:11 AM
I'm not going to disclose figures but offer letters have been sent on more than two occasions.

its a Bermudan investment bank, it might be innocent but why all the secrecy and shade.

What's secret?

Fuzzywuzzy
19-05-2022, 09:22 AM
When did we become so entitled as fans? There seems to be this train of thought that we should be top three every season, winning cups, signing world class international and rubbing shoulders with the big boys in European competition.

Reality is we're mediocre at best and just not very consistent.

Give the guy a chance to get in the door, sign some players, get the pre-season done and start the 22/23 season.

Also, seen a few posts saying 'ron needs to go'. Go where exactly??? It's his club until he decides to sell!! Jesus, we've all seen how hated Ashley was at Newcastle and how long it took him to leave!!

Since452
19-05-2022, 09:23 AM
Can we at least let him make some signings and play a few games before we write him off?

oldbutdim
19-05-2022, 09:23 AM
Who were the offer letters sent to? HSL?

WhileTheChief..
19-05-2022, 09:24 AM
When did we become so entitled as fans? There seems to be this train of thought that we should be top three every season, winning cups, signing world class international and rubbing shoulders with the big boys in European competition.

Reality is we're mediocre at best and just not very consistent.

Give the guy a chance to get in the door, sign some players, get the pre-season done and start the 22/23 season.

Also, seen a few posts saying 'ron needs to go'. Go where exactly??? It's his club until he decides to sell!! Jesus, we've all seen how hated Ashley was at Newcastle and how long it took him to leave!!

Is this on Twitter you're talking about?

Nobody has posted anything remotely like that on here!!

degenerated
19-05-2022, 09:25 AM
What's secret?Who's behind this operation?

I'll tell you what I know :hilarious

https://youtu.be/UXKak8AzBpg

hibsforeurope
19-05-2022, 09:37 AM
Who were the offer letters sent to? HSL?

Not sure about HSL but individual shareholders, certainly in my family.

jacomo
19-05-2022, 09:43 AM

It’s not a secret is it?

I think when Ron came in he said that he wanted overall control and open to increasing his stake in the club. HSL’s ability to acquire more shares was shut down.

You can have an opinion on this of course but you seem to trying to stir the pot.

Ron’s bona fides and source of wealth are well known.

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2022, 09:58 AM

When was this?

And any thoughts on why your family and not others?

Is.the Bermudan bank anything to do with Bydand?

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2022, 07:35 AM
Is this on Twitter you're talking about?

Nobody has posted anything remotely like that on here!!

I was slightly bemused by that too.

McD
21-05-2022, 05:14 PM
Some folk on this thread are just trolling imo, and there’s a few others that are just so filled with bitterness it’s untrue

theres shades of ponzi scheme type of chat with some of the posts :rolleyes:

McD
21-05-2022, 05:18 PM

so just to be clear, no one else has ever mentioned an offshore bank, no one else outside your family/friends have had offers in writing for their shares, and no one else has had any inkling of a leveraged buyout but you’re sure it’s happened…? :hmmm:

Mikey
21-05-2022, 05:29 PM

What's secret?

The bit in bold presumably!

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2022, 05:49 PM

I have a tiny number of shares as does my mate, neither one of us has received letters asking to buy ours. Perhaps your family hold an amount of shares significant enough to have an offer made for them ..... Tell us how many and then folk can judge whether RG is trying to buy up shares or if you are just making pish up.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2022, 05:53 PM

Definitely. Big changes required now.

Diclonius
21-05-2022, 06:51 PM
There are quite a few high profile Hibs "supporters" who are perpetually angry that the owners of Hibs are "not them".

ahibby
21-05-2022, 07:36 PM

David Marshall isnt a great signing he is way past his best and does make huge errors in judgement in goals. I dont know how he will fair but cant see there being much improvement if any. I am concerned we moved for a goalie first when our issue has been scoring goals. For me, the jury is out.

Allant1981
22-05-2022, 06:37 AM
David Marshall isnt a great signing he is way past his best and does make huge errors in judgement in goals. I dont know how he will fair but cant see there being much improvement if any. I am concerned we moved for a goalie first when our issue has been scoring goals. For me, the jury is out.

What huge errors?

Jones28
22-05-2022, 07:33 AM

I see no reason to be concerned. He was available, that’s why he signed early.

Moving for an out of contract goalie who’s looking for something to end their career is completely different to signing an under contract striker for whom we’d be paying a fee.

MKHIBEE
22-05-2022, 08:15 AM
What's secret?
I don’t know, it’s secret

tamig
23-05-2022, 04:46 PM

Indeed. Every board at Hibs has consulted the fans before every managerial appointment. Mental that Ron has done away with that now. Sacrilege.

danhibees1875
23-05-2022, 04:59 PM
What huge errors?

Was he not ordering a pie when Scotland conceded at the euros or something? :dunno:

Mantis Toboggan
23-05-2022, 06:31 PM

How could the jury not be out given its the close season ?
But yes we badly need goal threat. Fully expect a number of signings there as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-05-2022, 05:59 AM
There are quite a few high profile Hibs "supporters" who are perpetually angry that the owners of Hibs are "not them".

as Craig David sang “can you fill me in”? I’ve not read that so curious.

Waxy
24-05-2022, 06:17 AM

Who would you sign instead?

green day
24-05-2022, 06:21 AM
as Craig David sang “can you fill me in”? I’ve not read that so curious.

Simon Pia and Paul Kane without even thinking more than 2 seconds.

JimBHibees
24-05-2022, 06:25 AM
Simon Pia and Paul Kane without even thinking more than 2 seconds.

Indeed quite bizarre their apparent hatred for the club.

JimBHibees
24-05-2022, 06:28 AM

Only concern with him is that he stays fit personally have no concerns about him playing wise he will make mistakes as all players but give us so much more in terms of experience of playing at a very high level. He was exceptional at Wembley and has played consistently well for years at a higher level than he will play at Hibs. Great signing.

Hibernian Verse
24-05-2022, 06:36 AM

You know it's possible that a sizeable recruitment team can be "moving" on multiple targets at once :aok:

This was first over then line, then Kenneh and likely many more to come. It's May ffs.

green day
24-05-2022, 06:49 AM
Indeed quite bizarre their apparent hatred for the club.

I think they love Hibs.

They just dont want anybody to own Hibs.

hibsforeurope
24-05-2022, 12:34 PM
I have a tiny number of shares as does my mate, neither one of us has received letters asking to buy ours. Perhaps your family hold an amount of shares significant enough to have an offer made for them ..... Tell us how many and then folk can judge whether RG is trying to buy up shares or if you are just making pish up.

I'm not making pish up at all, the offer was fairly significant, into the thousands but not prepared to say exact amounts.

Inconsequential
24-05-2022, 08:55 PM
David Marshall isnt a great signing he is way past his best and does make huge errors in judgement in goals. I dont know how he will fair but cant see there being much improvement if any. I am concerned we moved for a goalie first when our issue has been scoring goals. For me, the jury is out. Must agree. You better watch out as some posters get upset if you criticise David Marshall. Like any other signing I'll wait to see how he performs at Hibs. Scoring goals was the main problem for Hibs without a doubt.

Stevie Reid
24-05-2022, 09:10 PM

Given that when he was at his best he was unattainable for us, I don’t have much of a problem if that is the case. The curious thing with goalkeepers though is the amount of times that they can reach the peak of their powers - or at least match that - in their late 30s.

We have first hand experience of that with Jim Leighton, and in the past two seasons we’ve seen performances from Gordon and McGregor that have been easily as good as their best.

Time will tell but on paper, it’s great business. He’s played at a good level his whole career, as well as having Champions League experience alongside playing in the Euros just last year.

Not really sure why anyone wouldn’t be pleased with this signing. And I say that as someone who liked Macey as our keeper.

jacomo
24-05-2022, 11:08 PM
I think they love Hibs.

They just dont want anybody to own Hibs.

Except for themselves?

CropleyWasGod
25-05-2022, 11:12 AM
I'm not making pish up at all, the offer was fairly significant, into the thousands but not prepared to say exact amounts.

You maybe missed my questions about this, so I'll repost them here.

When was this?

hibsforeurope
25-05-2022, 12:45 PM
You maybe missed my questions about this, so I'll repost them here.

When was this?

The 1st time was shortly after Ron took over and there have been others each closed season since, not heard if anything had come through this off season yet.

who knows why but i have seen the letters.

I assume Bydand Sports LLC is based off shore as the address given online doesn't look very business like, more like something you'd see on the Property Brothers.

CropleyWasGod
25-05-2022, 01:01 PM
The 1st time was shortly after Ron took over and there have been others each closed season since, not heard if anything had come through this off season yet.

who knows why but i have seen the letters.

I assume Bydand Sports LLC is based off shore as the address given online doesn't look very business like, more like something you'd see on the Property Brothers.

Like I said earlier, Bydand is based in Delaware. They have a register of companies, just like the UK. It's a little less accessible, but it is there if you want to go deeper.

I have my own theory as to why your family and no-one else (apparently) might have been approached. I'll keep that to myself for now, though 😉