PDA

View Full Version : Jake Daniels

hibby rae
16-05-2022, 04:29 PM
Blackpool’s Jake Daniels becomes the first UK male pro footballer in 32 years to come out as gay

Brave guy. Lot of respect for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4ygBi9Bpc

hibs#1
16-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Good on him. Hopefully we can to a point where it isn't even a question. Wish him all the best.

Jonnyboy
16-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Blackpool’s Jake Daniels becomes the first UK male pro footballer in 32 years to come out as gay

Massive respect to the laddie

Vault Boy
16-05-2022, 04:42 PM
It shouldn't be brave, but it is.

Well done that man, he'll be a source of inspiration for an untold number of young men involved in the sport up and down the country.

wookie70
16-05-2022, 04:42 PM
Hopefully this will be the start of other players feeling more comfortable openly being themselves. He is a brave lad and I was pleasantly surprised that the twitter thread I left was really positive.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Brave boy. Hopefully the days when none of this matters aren't too far away.

Pretty Boy
16-05-2022, 04:47 PM
I think this is testament to how much attitudes have moved on. The likes of Twitter can be a cesspit and of course there is a noisy minority who will make their voices heard. However for many, I'd argue a vast majority, the 1st reaction will be to be supportive or shrug their shoulders, say 'good for him' and move on.

Of course the fact this is still news means we have a way to go but someone had to be the 1st (In the UK and excepting Justin Fashanu who was from a different era) . It's inconceivable there aren't more gay men playing professional football so I doubt he will be the last.

at last 61
16-05-2022, 04:47 PM
As devine, no not Sydney, once said, I am what I am, if he can play football it doesn't matter what you are if we had a gay player I wouldn't care less as long as he was a good player, ps if you haven't seen divine check it out, he is not for the fainthearted

Hibernia&Alba
16-05-2022, 04:52 PM
Good for him, and I think most football fans will support him. Society is more progressive now; gay players was probably the last real taboo in the game, but we might be at the stage where it's no big deal. I certainly hope so. All the best to him.

Fuzzywuzzy
16-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Fair play to the lad. It's a shame that he's felt he's had to wait so long to do it

Bostonhibby
16-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Good luck to the guy, shouldn't make a difference what he does for a living.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Since452
16-05-2022, 04:58 PM
Sad that it's even a story to be honest. Good on the lad but hopefully we get to the stage where "coming out" isn't even a thing anymore.

Mrimbetween
16-05-2022, 05:01 PM
I just dont think there are that many gay players out there and if they come out, sound, if not fine

Hibernia&Alba
16-05-2022, 05:05 PM
I just dont think there are that many gay players out there and if they come out, sound, if not fine

They are pioneers, just like the first black players. Nobody should have to live a lie to be a professional athlete, but sport hasn't kept apace with societal changes, due to the macho culture. We will get to the point where it isn't a big deal, and each gay player who goes public will help expedite that.

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2022, 05:08 PM
Good man. :aok:

Hopefully this can start a wave of players coming out. Once it becomes a semi regular occurrence we can then just move on without even having to know hopefully.

Pretty Boy
16-05-2022, 05:12 PM
They are pioneers, just like the first black players. Nobody should have to live a lie to be a professional athlete, but sport hasn't kept apace with societal changes, due to the macho culture. We will get to the point where it isn't a big deal, and each gay player who goes public will help expedite that.

I think we will reach a point when people won't have to come out publicly, in football or any other walk of life.

Whilst things have of course moved on I think there is enough of the residual tabloid culture that necessitates a footballer or the like having to make an announcement. If they were living as a gay man (privately or publicly) then there would almost certainly be a rag seeking to 'expose' them. Daniels is controlling the narrative, such as it is, on this now. He's empowered and the support will massively outweigh any negativity. It's a good thing.

Unseen work
16-05-2022, 05:14 PM
Mental and very sad that in 2022 this is even a story.

Well done to him for coming out and telling people, hopefully more feel comfortable as a result.

hibby rae
16-05-2022, 05:23 PM

There definitely are quite a few. One of my pals worked for LGBT Youth Scotland and he was contacted by professional footballers for advice and support.

hibeejeebies
16-05-2022, 05:38 PM
Good on him, hopefully opens the door for others to do the same.

zitelli62
16-05-2022, 05:41 PM
I'm no mathematician but with 92 league clubs in England with average Squads of say 25 to 40 full time players that's a lot of people surely there must be more gay players just afraid to come out sad times.

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2022, 05:44 PM
Respect

cameronw-hfc
16-05-2022, 05:48 PM

There are plenty. Multiple in each league I'd imagine, I know of a couple in Scotland in lower leagues that would never come out due to the abuse👍

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2022, 05:49 PM
I'm no mathematician but with 92 league clubs in England with average Squads of say 25 to 40 full time players that's a lot of people surely there must be more gay players just afraid to come out sad times.

There’ll be triple figures easy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if football had a below average representation of gay players compared to society in general but there’ll still be lots.

Dr What If?
16-05-2022, 05:50 PM
A quick google search (highly scientific :agree:) tells me 6% of the UK population is gay......so assuming that stretches to football then at least one player on every football pitch in every match is gay......society may be moving forward but the bubble of football is still stuck in the 70s. Its men like Jake we need in our game, not the shameful bigots that would torture a fellow human being for daring to be what God made them.

J-C
16-05-2022, 05:52 PM
Sad state of affairs where we have to congratulate anyone for coming out in this day and age, as everyone has said well done but he shouldn't have to go so public because it's football. Lets hope the eejits down south don't abuse him from the terraces but you just know there's going to be some doing it.

Colr
16-05-2022, 05:55 PM

Good for him.

Shouldn’t really be an issue.

The Veteran
16-05-2022, 05:57 PM
And why not indeed?

Well done to the chap, it’s just a shame that it becomes something big when it should not have.

Great whiskey too!

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2022, 06:06 PM
There has been rumours flying about down here about him for a while, i wonder if he's got it out there before one of the tabloids?

Hibernia&Alba
16-05-2022, 06:12 PM
Nobody should have to live a lie:

https://youtu.be/itHh580JdiA

Baader
16-05-2022, 06:25 PM

Two at every club according to Patrice Evra

madhatter
16-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Still something wrong if "bravery" and "courage" gets used for this type of thing. Got some ways to go until we just treat everyone with respect and not get caught up in differences.

Credit to him but we genuinely all deserve credit for living a life in-keeping with who we are.

Side-notes, I thought this was about Jack Daniels initially and then thought "he's an old looking 17 year old". Hibs 17 year olds look like they are kids compared to him.

gbhibby
16-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Shouldn't be an issue in this day and age. Well done to the guy.

Is It On....
16-05-2022, 07:28 PM
As devine, no not Sydney, once said, I am what I am, if he can play football it doesn't matter what you are if we had a gay player I wouldn't care less as long as he was a good player, ps if you haven't seen divine check it out, he is not for the fainthearted

Divine as in the 80s singer?

heretoday
16-05-2022, 07:57 PM
Big deal. Not a story.

Tambo
16-05-2022, 08:02 PM
Could he do a job for us?

Bristolhibby
16-05-2022, 08:09 PM

10% of the population are gay. No reason to expect footballers would be any different.

J

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2022, 08:10 PM
Two at every club according to Patrice Evra

Unless it’s a signing policy every club adheres to I’m not sure that’ll be the case :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2022, 08:12 PM
10% of the population are gay. No reason to expect footballers would be any different.

J

I would expect them to be.

It’s not a traditionally welcoming environment for gay people and I reckon a lot would have never taken up the sport or dropped out of it because of it.

I’d expect there’ll be loads, but it’ll be less than the 10% in normal society imo.

Alfred E Newman
16-05-2022, 08:18 PM

J
If you look it up you’ll find that the figure is a lot lower than that.

hibby rae
16-05-2022, 09:33 PM
I would expect them to be.

It’s not a traditionally welcoming environment for gay people and I reckon a lot would have never taken up the sport or dropped out of it because of it.

I’d expect there’ll be loads, but it’ll be less than the 10% in normal society imo.

Yeah, representation is important in breaking down attitudinal barriers

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2022, 11:52 PM
Big deal. Not a story.

It absolutely is a story though that’s the sad thing, when it becomes a none story, we can rejoice.

Hibernia&Alba
17-05-2022, 12:01 AM
It absolutely is a story though that’s the sad thing, when it becomes a none story, we can rejoice.

Spot on.

hibby rae
17-05-2022, 09:52 AM
One thing I was discussing with a pal last night, if Justin Fashanu hadn't went through what he had would we have seen other players coming out sooner?

I think it's reasonable to assume they would have.

Keepthefaith
17-05-2022, 10:16 AM
Big deal. Not a story.

It is a big deal. Imagine you have your dream career ahead of you, but know that if a hidden part of you is disclosed then that may result in abuse, rejection and judgement. Imagine that by disclosing it you're opening yourself up to the bigotry of others?

At 17 to have the self confidence to take all of this on is huge. As a gay man it took me til i was 21 to come out, and I went through a period of rejecting football because I felt I didn't belong.

What this young man has done is significant for any young person who loves football and who doesn't identify as heterosexual. I applaud his bravery.

Smartie
17-05-2022, 10:20 AM
It's only really a big deal because he's been the first to openly come out in such a long time. It was going to seem like a big deal whoever was going to be the first since Fashanu.

I (like to) think that society has evolved to such an extent that this isn't actually that big a deal at all, and so it seems to be.

That certainly wouldn't have been the case 20 years ago.

CropleyWasGod
17-05-2022, 10:25 AM
It is a big deal. Imagine you have your dream career ahead of you, but know that if a hidden part of you is disclosed then that may result in abuse, rejection and judgement. Imagine that by disclosing it you're opening yourself up to the bigotry of others?

At 17 to have the self confidence to take all of this on is huge. As a gay man it took me til i was 21 to come out, and I went through a period of rejecting football because I felt I didn't belong.

What this young man has done is significant for any young person who loves football and who doesn't identify as heterosexual. I applaud his bravery.

Well said.

I think it's also good for young straight guys. Footballers are role models, and if one's heroes are gay, that makes it less of a "thing ".

It's a bit like Bowie in the 70s, when a lot of macho young men started to realise that being gay wasn't "a bad thing "

Lester B
17-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Great post.

Of course it's a big deal and I cannot see why people are claiming that it it isn't. The guy has just turned 17 so his confidence and pride in doing this are remarkable. It's also massively overdue and I hope others follow his example. It's about time football entered the 21st Century

J-C
17-05-2022, 11:20 AM
Great post.

Of course it's a big deal and I cannot see why people are claiming that it it isn't. The guy has just turned 17 so his confidence and pride in doing this are remarkable. It's also massively overdue and I hope others follow his example. It's about time football entered the 21st Century

I think the vast majority are saying it shouldn't be a big deal but unfortunately it still is.

Fuzzywuzzy
17-05-2022, 12:00 PM
It's only really a big deal because he's been the first to openly come out in such a long time. It was going to seem like a big deal whoever was going to be the first since Fashanu.

I (like to) think that society has evolved to such an extent that this isn't actually that big a deal at all, and so it seems to be.

That certainly wouldn't have been the case 20 years ago.

Strange thing is though, we haven't evolved enough in society. The last few years have shown us that
People hate people and actively want to hate people.

I watched Do The Right Thing not so long ago and there is a monologue by Sweet Dick Willie talking about racism. That's a 30 year old film and nothing has really progressed from what he said.

I think that for this lad to come out is brave. It shouldn't be but it is. It takes a lot of courage for people to come out and for someone in the public eye it must be an extremely difficult decision to make knowing that there is a chance you're going to get berated by fans and your possibly your fellow pros.

There was a PSG player that refused to play against Montpellier as the numbers and other bits of kit were in the rainbow design. That's the kind of **** this guy will have to face

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2022, 06:50 AM
When i was a kid growing up in Leith, i never knew about gay people, it was a word banded about as an insult to someone we argued with or didnt get on with.

All the usual words were used, and i will admit to saying them all when young. Now i've grown up, now i know better, living in Blackpool as i do, it is a very open place, where being gay is not a problem for most gay men or women.

There are lots of gay friendly bars, bars that straight people go to and mix without thought, i go with my mates sometimes, and that is something i never thought i would do years ago.

What i'm trying to say, probably badly is, people can change, people can learn, and people can accept all ways of life.

My local is a gay friendly pub, 2 of my best friends there are gay, it does not matter, it is not even a conversation we even have.

DaveF
18-05-2022, 02:14 PM
And then you have this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61492696

A Hi-Bee
18-05-2022, 02:27 PM
**** when I seen the title I thought we was going to talk about drink, who cares what or who the guy is.