PDA

View Full Version : Johnson or Tomasson

JeMeSouviens
16-05-2022, 12:38 PM
Pretty sure I can guess which way this will go but just in case anyone from the club needs to know how the support views these 2 options. :wink:

Lee Johnson or Jon Dahl Tomasson?

Springbank
16-05-2022, 01:04 PM
If JDT was able to get the most out of Malmo (he won back to back titles, after Malmo hadn't won it for a couple of years, and qualified for the Champions League) then that is a serious bit of clout on the CV

MrSmith
16-05-2022, 01:10 PM
JDT brings something more I think, but my choice is more of a gut instinct and I'd be happy either way though.

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 01:11 PM
JDT is definitely the most attractive/exciting on paper but without being privy to the interview process who knows. We won’t be aware of any red flags that may have arisen in the process.

A purely hypothetical example, but say what if JDT had been asked how he would improve the squad and he didn’t mention bringing in better central midfielders. To me that would flag up a weakness on his part in assessing squad strength, however we as fans would not be aware of it because we can only go on what’s in the public domain.

Diclonius
16-05-2022, 01:15 PM
Lol

basehibby
16-05-2022, 01:17 PM
I've gone against the grain here and voted for Johnson - at first I was like "Lee who???" but an examination of his career path reveals a story of pretty much constant upward mobility whereby he performs well at one club and gets poached by a bigger one - and repeat. He got emptied from his last gig at Sunderland on the back of a 6-0 tonking though so he clearly has his blindspots. That said he is certainly experienced and that includes a couple of short spells playing in Scotland - no bad thing as it should mean he has a very good idea of the standards expected.

Both Johnson ad JDT are good candidates though and both seem capable of taking the club forwards.

on-the-level
16-05-2022, 01:18 PM
Looks like the support are getting united
Hope the board can get there
Please let it be Tomasson's Torneado's
:flag::thumbsup::flag:

MrSmith
16-05-2022, 01:49 PM
Looks like the support are getting united
Hope the board can get there
Please let it be Tomasson's Torneado's
:flag::thumbsup::flag:

I think luckily, we have two good candidates that may well take us forward albeit on different paths. I for one am quite excited about either getting the job.

on-the-level
16-05-2022, 01:54 PM
I think luckily, we have two good candidates that may well take us forward albeit on different paths. I for one am quite excited about either getting the job.

Yeh agree we have two very good candidates
Just feel JDT will be better at dealing with the media, which is such a big part of things these days.

Hermit Crab
16-05-2022, 01:56 PM
5 people picked LJ. :confused:

Smartie
16-05-2022, 02:00 PM
Apart from being a Hertz get, is Jamie McAllister not pretty highly thought of as a coach?

As we saw with Stubbs, it's often the management team rather than just the boss himself. If McAllister were to come with Johnson, maybe that starts to add up to a bit more than the sum of the parts and is a bit of a known quantity, whereas JDT would remain a bit of a mystery.

I've not voted as I quite like both options. I also liked the sound of Appleton. Personally I won't have any problem getting behind any of them, as long as they don't bring every man back to defend corner kicks.

One Day Soon
16-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Lol

Incomplete. Who is going to be pumping who?

Diclonius
16-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Incomplete. Who is going to be pumping who?

Honoured to share an in-joke, and a glass of orange juice, with a fellow veteran.

One Day Soon
16-05-2022, 02:39 PM
JDT comes across as a bit in your face and and by God we need some of that.

HoboHarry
16-05-2022, 02:42 PM
JDT comes across as a bit in your face and and by God we need some of that.

Doesn't have much fear lol. His bit of s**thousery with the Scottish press about sevco was epic :greengrin

One Day Soon
16-05-2022, 03:12 PM
Doesn't have much fear lol. His bit of s**thousery with the Scottish press about sevco was epic :greengrin

Exactly. And the time has long since passed since we should have been calling out refereeing bias, SFA stupidity and Old Firm favouritism. But mainly it would be good to have someone who's view of Scottish football doesn't begin and end with the established narrative of 'all things Ugly Sisters good, everything else secondary'.

on-the-level
16-05-2022, 07:33 PM
Malmo got pumped 4-0 by Djugardens IF
Looks like there missing JDT🤔

Tambo
16-05-2022, 07:44 PM
5 people picked LJ. :confused:

I'm guessing fans seem more excited with JDT.

TAHibby
16-05-2022, 09:15 PM
"Yeah, I think so" *bond villain smile*

IberianHibernian
16-05-2022, 09:17 PM
Hopefully other candidates still being considered .

aberhibsfc
16-05-2022, 10:06 PM
JDT for me!

badabing67
16-05-2022, 10:10 PM
And me

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2022, 10:23 PM
JDT .... The guy has won two titles in a decent league and given his playing career, which is pretty bloomin' impressive, the players couldn't fail to respect him. Even so its a punt, but then so would Johnson be and if the tie breaker is which appointment would excite the fans more then JDT has the edge as the poll clearly demonstrates.

Whoever gets the job will have my full support ( at least until Christmas :greengrin ) but the big question is the support they will get from the owner vis a vis transfers, Hibs simply cant afford to get this one wrong and if that's to happen they have to move heaven and earth to help him get the players he needs.

DstN75
16-05-2022, 10:35 PM
JDT .... The guy has won two titles in a decent league and given his playing career, which is pretty bloomin' impressive, the players couldn't fail to respect him. Even so its a punt, but then so would Johnson be and if the tie breaker is which appointment would excite the fans more then JDT has the edge as the poll clearly demonstrates.

Whoever gets the job will have my full support ( at least until Christmas :greengrin ) but the big question is the support they will get from the owner vis a vis transfers, Hibs simply cant afford to get this one wrong and if that's to happen they have to move heaven and earth to help him get the players he needs.

Broadly speaking there's basically only two types of manager Hibs can appoint - a "safe pair of hands" or a "punt".

The former will be a guy who has done something like ground out some results in Scotland (he'll almost certainly be Scottish), maybe had his fingers burned down south, then pitched back up and done a decent job at a club a bit smaller than ours.

The latter will be relatively untried but with some sort of flicker of success on the CV (actually JDT has more than that, really) and with "ideas", hopefully.

I'd always prefer the second one but I appreciate that gambling isn't always the best option. Look at this season, for example.

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2022, 11:07 PM
Broadly speaking there's basically only two types of manager Hibs can appoint - a "safe pair of hands" or a "punt".

The former will be a guy who has done something like ground out some results in Scotland (he'll almost certainly be Scottish), maybe had his fingers burned down south, then pitched back up and done a decent job at a club a bit smaller than ours.

The latter will be relatively untried but with some sort of flicker of success on the CV (actually JDT has more than that, really) and with "ideas", hopefully.

I'd always prefer the second one but I appreciate that gambling isn't always the best option. Look at this season, for example.

All true ... when it came to Maloney it was a total punt seeing as he had never managed a club before, you could say the same for Tony Mowbray who did work out but even then he has been a total failure since leaving Hibs, both candidates in this case at least have some experience actually managing clubs with some successes to their names, even if in Johnson's case that only amounts to improving things for short spells at the likes of Bristol City.

Unseen work
16-05-2022, 11:35 PM
Still in two minds.

For me Johnson makes sense for where we are at the moment and would provide stability and improve us. I think he would come in and already know of a lot of our players and players he could improve us with on a similar budget from within the UK. He knows the Scottish league too and would need minimal time to adapt. His football is supposedly good too.

JDT is hugely exciting and would have been ideal after Ross. I think the board may be hesitant though due to his lack of knowledge of our players and league and would see this as another risk. He could bring in loads of foreign players but there would again be a period of everyone adapting and getting used to the league. He’s a huge name though and you’d imagine would demand respect and standards, he also doesn’t seem the type to just go with the flow and will speak his mind.

In an ideal world Hibs would appoint JDT tomorrow and he would take to the league and club like a duck to water and he’d improve the players we have and have a list of players he wants from Sweden, Denmark and Holland from his coaching. He has a presence I like and seems a strong leader, there would be a massive buzz about the place. I look at Ange with Celtic and wonder could JDT do that with us. I’m not so sure, it could be brilliant or it could be a disaster.

I can’t see the board taking two risky appointments in a row which makes me think it will be Johnson, part of me thinks it would have already been announced if it was him though…

Since452
17-05-2022, 05:30 AM
Swaying towards Johnson. I think he's a better fit. We need to get this right. I'll be right behind either.

Libby Hibby
17-05-2022, 05:50 AM
Any appointment is a gamble.

JDT seems to have more about him, an edge and his playing and managerial experience is impressive.

LJ, to me, just doesn’t seem right. An ex-jambo, a meh managerial career, nothing disastrous, nothing spectacular just vanilla. He may turn out to be ok but he just doesn’t get the juices flowing for me.

JimBHibees
17-05-2022, 06:08 AM
All true ... when it came to Maloney it was a total punt seeing as he had never managed a club before, you could say the same for Tony Mowbray who did work out but even then he has been a total failure since leaving Hibs, both candidates in this case at least have some experience actually managing clubs with some successes to their names, even if in Johnson's case that only amounts to improving things for short spells at the likes of Bristol City.

clearly not the case Mowbray has done well relatively speaking at Blackburn

JimBHibees
17-05-2022, 06:11 AM
Swaying towards Johnson. I think he's a better fit. We need to get this right. I'll be right behind either.

Kind of where I am. Absolutely need to get that right the reverse would be that this might be the one chance to get someone of Thomassons profile and recent managerial success

McGruber
17-05-2022, 06:23 AM
Kind of where I am. Absolutely need to get that right the reverse would be that this might be the one chance to get someone of Thomassons profile and recent managerial success

Agreed. Not often we would see the chance of someone of JDT's pedigree and standing in the game in the mix. I think LJ is the type of manager there are loads of on the shelf.

JeMeSouviens
17-05-2022, 01:10 PM
Pretty clear result - 93% for JDT currently. Sort it, board! :greengrin

To me, LJ is a total meh appointment. It'll probably go all right but pulling up any trees is pretty unlikely. Probably he's the Kensell option, since he'll be well connected down south?

JDT could be a disaster, but might just be a spectacular. Got to be worth the punt if Ron has any intention of having a proper go at it?

AugustaHibs
18-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Lol