PDA

View Full Version : Melkerson's miss

leith lynx
15-05-2022, 04:34 PM
The Dundee Utd miss was bad, but he topped that today! Thought he had a few good moments, hopefully we will see an improvement next season.

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2022, 04:38 PM
Played well today. Today's miss was a much more awkward one than united but he should've scored both.

Allant1981
15-05-2022, 04:44 PM
Played well today. Today's miss was a much more awkward one than united but he should've scored both.

It wasnt awkward in the slightest, all he had to do was hit it on target, very poor miss

SaulGoodman
15-05-2022, 05:06 PM
It wasnt awkward in the slightest, all he had to do was hit it on target, very poor miss

All any striker has to do is hit it on target. Easy to say watching from the stands. Even the best strikers in the world have missed sitters, it happens.

LewysGot2
15-05-2022, 05:08 PM
Most frustrating thing was Lewis left it to him unselfishly . It was perfectly set up for him to have used his left foot, too.

cameronw-hfc
Scuffed it into the ground, he'll come good. Good movement and definitely in the right positions, just hasn't found that finishing touch yet.

Smartie
It's a wee bit concerning that it's the second sitter he's missed. Both have been pretty awful tbh.

He played well otherwise today.

Another striker who looks better in a pair though?

Sir David Gray
15-05-2022, 05:09 PM
It was a bad miss but it's encouraging that he was at least in position to miss the chance in the first place.

Mr. Wonderful
15-05-2022, 05:14 PM
There's no defending that. Looking like Bodo got a sweet deal

SaulGoodman
15-05-2022, 05:16 PM

Jesus, here we go

Jones28
15-05-2022, 05:17 PM

Go and have the summer off eh?

CL0762
15-05-2022, 05:17 PM

😂

sleeping giant
15-05-2022, 05:19 PM

😂

Bobby's Cinema
15-05-2022, 05:19 PM
Had to remind myself he was playing tbh. Didnt contribute an awful lot. Time to go away and reflect in the summer and come back stronger next season. Hopefully as a backup and not an expected starter most weeks.

Johnny_Leith
15-05-2022, 05:20 PM
It was a bad miss but it's encouraging that he was at least in position to miss the chance in the first place.

I remember people saying the same about Edwin de Graff!

I'm not sure he can be excused so easily, I know he's adapting to a new country, a new style of football, even playing on grass but that was undoubtedly miss of the season. That should be the strongest part of his game. I hope a pre-season will see him kick on but honestly I've not been overly impressed with him, apart from 1 game at Motherwell.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-05-2022, 05:25 PM
“N-n-n-n-nineteen, nineteen
N-nineteen, nineteen
With Hibernian the manager / player typically served a twelve-month tour of duty
But was exposed to hostile fire almost every day…”

First up a Apologies for making a point wider than the OP.

The boy is just nineteen.

Exactly When will folks wake up?

We want another golden generation yet we get tore in before many have had much of chance.
if we believe in giving youth a chance. We need to give youth a chance.

SaulGoodman
15-05-2022, 05:27 PM
N-nineteen, nineteen
With Hibernian the manager / player typically served a twelve-month tour of duty

We want another golden generation yet we get tore in before many have had much of chance.

Couldn’t agree more.

Lago
15-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Jesus, here we go
Didn't take long did it?

JohnM1875
15-05-2022, 05:33 PM
The Dundee Utd miss was bad, but he topped that today! Thought he had a few good moments, hopefully we will see an improvement next season.

Don't think I'm going to watch today's one back. Feel so sorry for the boy as you could see he was gutted about it.

Was clearly supposed to be nowhere near the first team this season, but thought there were at least signs today he's capable.

Fair play Newell as well when Hoff was subbed off, walked over and put a wee arm around him and had a word in the ear, class from Joe.

Malthibby
15-05-2022, 05:33 PM
Was pleased that most of the boo boys took the day off today. Not pretending the atmosphere was up to much but at least no-one was on Melkerson's case after the miss, mostly sympathetic clapping.Was good to see a few goals & Scott continuing to score. Goos way to finish a crap season.
GG

Allant1981
15-05-2022, 05:34 PM
All any striker has to do is hit it on target. Easy to say watching from the stands. Even the best strikers in the world have missed sitters, it happens.

I didn't say they havent, it was pretty much an open goal from about 3 yards, terrible miss no matter how you try to cover it up

Gmack7
15-05-2022, 05:34 PM
Had to remind myself he was playing tbh. Didnt contribute an awful lot. Time to go away and reflect in the summer and come back stronger next season. Hopefully as a backup and not an expected starter most weeks.

We're not paying 400k for a back up

cameronw-hfc
15-05-2022, 05:41 PM
We're not paying 400k for a back up

No, we paid it for a kid. Do you think he'd cost 400k if he was the final product at 19? Use your brain and lay off the lad a bit

Mick O'Rourke
15-05-2022, 05:47 PM
Most frustrating thing was Lewis left it to him unselfishly . It was perfectly set up for him to have used his left foot, too.

I think i heard him shout,with an accent..... Ma baw,lewey!"

Nakedmanoncrack
15-05-2022, 05:57 PM
N-nineteen, nineteen

I'm not sure anyone is getting tore into him, just expressing opinions based on what they've seen so far. Today's miss was an absolute shocker at any level of football so let's not pretend otherwise - I'm sure he wouldn't. I'm still remaining hopeful that he could come good, but only time will tell.

Gloucester Hibs
15-05-2022, 06:13 PM
N-nineteen, nineteen

None of them received a hero's welcome

SlickShoes
15-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Bad miss today sure but he got an assist for the first goal and the pass he played to Scott that led to the miss was fantastic.

People here continually underestimate how hard it is moving to a new country especially for someone so young, he signed when he was still 18.

He will grow, improve, get stronger, learn the game here with time. He’s less than a year older than most of the 5 “kids” that came off the bench today. He has been chucked in at the deep end on a sinking ship this season and I hope he’s learned a lot.

Walter
15-05-2022, 06:16 PM
Cut the boy some slack, a young lad who's moved abroad and had to adjust in a turbulent time for the club probably doesn't need a thread about a miss he is probably already playing over in his head. No wonder we have been cack since the fans came back

Since452
15-05-2022, 06:17 PM
Said on another thread that he needs to bulk up a bit. Only 19 though so that will come. If we bring in a couple of strikers in the summer I wouldn't mind him going out on loan.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-05-2022, 06:22 PM
N-nineteen, nineteen

Tricla
15-05-2022, 07:33 PM

I'm no on here as much these days but whenever I am there's a good chance there'll be some negative drivel from your good self.

B.H.F.C
15-05-2022, 07:42 PM
Was a shocking miss. I really wanted him to get a goal today as well.

I thought he played quite well apart from that. The miss affected him though because he started trying to do everything after that, and it just wasn’t happening for him.

Mr. Wonderful
15-05-2022, 07:44 PM
Go and have the summer off eh?

Laugh all you want, but I'll happily put my neck on the line - the laddie won't make it here.

Mr. Wonderful
15-05-2022, 07:47 PM
I'm no on here as much these days but whenever I am there's a good chance there'll be some negative drivel from your good self.

It's been a pretty dire season, anyone being relentlessly positive must need mental help.

15-05-2022, 07:50 PM

Played a massive part in getting us to the cup semi so arguably the income from that went a long way to paying his transfer fee.

CapitalGreen
15-05-2022, 07:52 PM
This place is mad sometimes, a 19 year old laddie being written off after a handful of games playing up front in one of the least creative Hibs squads in my lifetime.

For comparison, Melkerson is currently a year younger that Riordan was when he scored his first Hibs goal back in 2003. I imagine if some posters on this thread were posting back in 2002 they’d have been writing him off too.

Jones28
15-05-2022, 07:54 PM
Laugh all you want, but I'll happily put my neck on the line - the laddie won't make it here.

Ok cool, well we can revisit this in a years time.

Not In The Know
15-05-2022, 07:58 PM
That this has a thread all of its own is a perfect example of how people are going out their way to make this place as negative as possible.

Boys going to be good. Weird that anyone wants to bet against him tbh.

jacomo
15-05-2022, 08:13 PM
That this has a thread all of its own is a perfect example of how people are going out their way to make this place as negative as possible.

Boys going to be good. Weird that anyone wants to bet against him tbh.

:agree:

Due to circumstances he’s played a lot more than maybe he should have over the past couple of months.

There’s a lot to like about him, he will come good.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-05-2022, 08:18 PM
It's been a pretty dire season, anyone being relentlessly positive must need mental help.
Pretty crass comment given all the educational stuff that’s gone on in the public domain and initiatives within the club on mental health - shame on you.

weecounty hibby
15-05-2022, 08:19 PM
The laddie played well today. Showed flashes of why we paid money for a young kid. The ball came to him very quickly for the chance. Probably should have scored but all round I thought he played well

Gmack7
15-05-2022, 08:26 PM
No, we paid it for a kid. Do you think he'd cost 400k if he was the final product at 19? Use your brain and lay off the lad a bit

Steady on mate, I'm not having a go at him I'm just stating that we will not pay that for a back up, when he signed he would be expected to start most weeks. Hopefully a full pre season he has a good start next season

lyonhibs
15-05-2022, 08:31 PM
Pretty crass comment given all the educational stuff that’s gone on in the public domain and initiatives within the club on mental health - shame on you.

Steady on 😅 it was just crap patter.

Callum_62
15-05-2022, 08:34 PM
It's been a pretty dire season, anyone being relentlessly positive must need mental help.Stay classy.

Crikey.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

wookie70
15-05-2022, 08:41 PM
Was his miss not offside anyway. He had a decent game yesterday and hopefully being fired in early because of some terrible recruitment decisions will help rather than hinder his time here. Plenty positive signs and he certainly makes lots of good runs. He just needs to make them at the right time like v Motherwell. Watching Glenn Middleton I would have him before Henderson or Jasper. He was involved, beat men and his movement was excellent.

IberianHibernian
15-05-2022, 08:42 PM
He was signed for Under 23 team and ideally would have made his first team debut in post split fixtures . Unfortunately huge injury crisis forced Maloney and later Gray to use him as a starting striker . I`m stating the obvious but unfortunately that isn`t enough for some so a young player gets criticised and we spend resources and time looking for a new manager .

McGruber
15-05-2022, 08:44 PM
I like him. He's raw, unsurprisingly, though the potential is obvious. He'll be a good investment. Bad miss but like Doidge, gets himself in there. Goals will come - I've no doubt he'll come good, actually.. very good

CapitalGreen
15-05-2022, 08:53 PM
He was signed for Under 23 team and ideally would have made his first team debut in post split fixtures . Unfortunately huge injury crisis forced Maloney and later Gray to use him as a starting striker . I`m stating the obvious but unfortunately that isn`t enough for some so a young player gets criticised and we spend resources and time looking for a new manager .

He wasn’t signed for the under 23 team.

B.H.F.C
15-05-2022, 08:58 PM

I don’t think you’re staying the obvious, Hibs don’t spend 400k on a player for the development side.

That’s not to say he was signed to be our main striker, but he was signed to play a part.

I think he’ll come good, I think he has something, but I’m a bit disappointed he doesn’t have another 2 or 3 goals to his name already.

hibby rae
15-05-2022, 09:08 PM
Was his miss not offside anyway. He had a decent game yesterday and hopefully being fired in early because of some terrible recruitment decisions will help rather than hinder his time here. Plenty positive signs and he certainly makes lots of good runs. He just needs to make them at the right time like v Motherwell. Watching Glenn Middleton I would have him before Henderson or Jasper. He was involved, beat men and his movement was excellent.

I mean, we did have him and he was crap for us.

IberianHibernian
15-05-2022, 09:15 PM
I don’t think you’re staying the obvious, Hibs don’t spend 400k on a player for the development side.

That’s not to say he was signed to be our main striker, but he was signed to play a part.

I think he’ll come good, I think he has something, but I’m a bit disappointed he doesn’t have another 2 or 3 goals to his name already.Obvious in that he wouldn`t have been a regular starter if Nisbet and Doidge had been fully fit . He`d have been introduced gradually into the team until he was a regular starter whether late this season with team comfortably in top 6 and Europe or next season . He hadn`t played at a high level in Norway but had been identified as a great prospect . Time will tell if that promise was justified .

jst1875
15-05-2022, 09:16 PM
that miss aside, I think he will come good but imo he has to bulk up, at the moment he's bit lightweight for this league, he gets bundled off the ball too often

cameronw-hfc
15-05-2022, 09:18 PM
Wonder how many folk saying he won't make it here said the same about Doidge in his first few weeks. Often feel like a section of our fans want certain players to fail. He's a kid, literally a teen still. Moved to a new country, new surface, new team, new environment and completely different styles of play, give him time. He's here for the long run, not to make us a quick mil. Let him develop at his own pace and see what kind of player we end up with.

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2022, 09:20 PM

Any grumpy old man laying into a 19 year old is pretty shameful never mind the initiatives.

CapitalGreen
15-05-2022, 09:20 PM
I mean, we did have him and he was crap for us.

I mean, he was only 19 years old at the time - footballers tend to develop and improve as they age. Our recently departed star winger was playing 4th tier football with Montrose when he was 19 years old.

Unseen work
15-05-2022, 09:22 PM
He got a bit excited after playing a good pass through to Scott and then bursted a gut running to catch up.

Nothing to see here, bad miss but it happens.

He’ll come good.

B.H.F.C
15-05-2022, 09:28 PM
Obvious in that he wouldn`t have been a regular starter if Nisbet and Doidge had been fully fit . He`d have been introduced gradually into the team until he was a regular starter whether late this season with team comfortably in top 6 and Europe or next season . He hadn`t played at a high level in Norway but had been identified as a great prospect . Time will tell if that promise was justified .

He was introduced gradually though. Wasn’t in the squad for a fair period, then didn’t get on to the pitch for a bit when he did get in to the squad, then got a few sub appearances, then finally started a game a good couple of months after signing.

B.H.F.C
15-05-2022, 09:29 PM
He got a bit excited after playing a good pass through to Scott and then bursted a gut running to catch up.

Nothing to see here, bad miss but it happens.

He’ll come good.

Thought the miss was a shocker but it was good to see a player desperate to get in to the box. That’s something we’ve lacked all season.

HoboHarry
15-05-2022, 09:29 PM
I haven't seen anyone being relentlessly positive, it's just that the place has been overwhelmed with the relentlessly hysterical, all racing to repeat the same message in an ever increasing volume than the last daftie. We don't collectively need to have the same message repeated daily.

cameronw-hfc
15-05-2022, 09:30 PM
Steady on mate, I'm not having a go at him I'm just stating that we will not pay that for a back up, when he signed he would be expected to start most weeks. Hopefully a full pre season he has a good start next season

It was made obvious from Maloneys multiple "he's one for the future" comments. He was for the first team yes, but he was not signed to go straight in as a started. The opposite actually, if it wasn't for injuries he'd have got cameos here and there to get up to speed and adjust, developing him. The only reason he's starting weekly is injuries.

hibby rae
15-05-2022, 09:31 PM
I mean, he was only 19 years old at the time - footballers tend to develop and improve as they age. Our recently departed star winger was playing 4th tier football with Montrose when he was 19 years old.

He's been fairly poor for the bulk of the season for St Johnstone

Ryan91
15-05-2022, 09:38 PM
I'm sure Melkerson will rue the miss, but fortunately in the grand scheme of things it didn't cost us.

I'm sure that clip will end up on one of these football clips shows some day as part of a segment on goals "Granny Could Have Scored"

chrisski33
15-05-2022, 09:40 PM
With a good manager melkerson will come good. Theres no need to lay into him for his miss today

Mr. Wonderful
15-05-2022, 09:48 PM

Here's me thinking this is a football forum. Apologies, I seem to have stumbled across woke.net

SaulGoodman
15-05-2022, 09:53 PM
Here's me thinking this is a football forum. Apologies, I seem to have stumbled across woke.net

Ahh you’re one of those folk

green with envy
15-05-2022, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure anyone is getting tore into him, just expressing opinions based on what they've seen so far. Today's miss was an absolute shocker at any level of football so let's not pretend otherwise - I'm sure he wouldn't. I'm still remaining hopeful that he could come good, but only time will tell.

Nothing wrong with this assessment. Wasn't to pleased with the miss but no one sitting around me would have been aware. More than happy to believe the lad will do well next season.

Onceinawhile
15-05-2022, 10:11 PM

These days you have to call it a corner shop.

Smartie
15-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Thought the miss was a shocker but it was good to see a player desperate to get in to the box. That’s something we’ve lacked all season.

Yeah, I agree. That was much better today. Melkerson may have missed his chance but at least he was in there to make it a chance, and because James Scott was in there he ended up getting 2 goals out of it.

green with envy
15-05-2022, 11:00 PM

Weirdo!

Mr. Wonderful
15-05-2022, 11:14 PM
Weirdo!

I mean he's a bit unconventional and his dress sense isn't the best but he seems like an OK kid.

jacomo
15-05-2022, 11:21 PM

Aye he will.

He’s clearly got the right stuff, he’ll be ok.

Mr. Wonderful
15-05-2022, 11:30 PM
Aye he will.

He’s clearly got the right stuff, he’ll be ok.

I'll take that bet sir. Pin this post and we'll see

Maguire
16-05-2022, 01:52 AM

I'm of the same opinion. What was worrying for me was the ease in which he was brushed off the ball, countless times he was being bullied. Definitely needs to hit the gym over the break.

cameronw-hfc
16-05-2022, 02:28 AM
I'll take that bet sir. Pin this post and we'll see

You seem desperate for him to fail

PeeJay
16-05-2022, 04:59 AM
Melkerson's miss ("sitter") was only one part of his game today (thought he was maybe unsettled by Stevenson also being involved?), these things happen. He assisted for the first goal and had a generally good game for us. I think he will prove to be a fine addition to the team, he's a very talented youngster and alone his goals against Motherwell indicate to me there is a good player in there. Hope the next manager is able to coax the maximum out of him ...

BegbieHSC
16-05-2022, 05:16 AM
His overall game was grand today.

With raw, 18 y/o strikers, composure is something that needs built into their game with experience, which Melkersen will gain.

I have no doubts, from seeing his overall gameplay, he’ll turn into a top striker for us.

HH81
16-05-2022, 05:29 AM
Just seen it. Bad miss although on one of the angles he looked like he was stretching a bit.

Should have left it to Stevenson [I think] but all happens so quick and he will have wanted a goal.

Jones28
16-05-2022, 05:46 AM

It’s sad when people are so eager to be proven right they’d rather see an exciting young player fall on their face than have to eat humble pie.

Heisenberg
16-05-2022, 05:54 AM
Was a bad miss and he knew it himself. If he keeps getting into good positions he’ll score goals. Plenty more to come from him.

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 06:14 AM

You seem desperate to make false assumptions

Allant1981
16-05-2022, 06:29 AM
One positive was he didnt hide after it, he had another few shots so at least he is confident and not wanting to let ot get him down

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2022, 06:59 AM
Terrible miss, no getting away from that.

Thought he done alright yesterday though.

jacomo
16-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Terrible miss, no getting away from that.

Thought he done alright yesterday though.

He did do ok overall.

For the miss, the ball was already past the near post when he hit it. Lewis had the better angle and should have screamed for it… not his style though :greengrin

eastterrace
16-05-2022, 08:25 AM
On sport scene highlights the miss was called offside by the linesman but he was well onside but Stevenson looked offside. So if he had scored it wouldn’t have stood.

wookie70
16-05-2022, 09:23 AM
On sport scene highlights the miss was called offside by the linesman but he was well onside but Stevenson looked offside. So if he had scored it wouldn’t have stood.

The lino definitely gave offside at the game and that is confirmed on the highlights. Stevenson and Melkerson were both miles onside though. It was a poor miss but Melkerson had to move awkwardly to get to the ball and was slightly off balance. Not sure Stevenson had much more chance looking again at the highlights as he had over ran the ball as it bounced back. The lino was the worst offender in that passage of play and we should maybe look at Melkerson's pass and movement as mitigation for the miss. We would have had a thread for the pass if Scott Allan had made it

Conj
16-05-2022, 09:29 AM
I think the linesman was signalling for a goal kick, both signals are fairly similar, flag up then point across the pitch. Easily mistaken for each other, commentators do it often enough on tv.

basehibby
16-05-2022, 09:30 AM
Bad miss today sure but he got an assist for the first goal and the pass he played to Scott that led to the miss was fantastic.

People here continually underestimate how hard it is moving to a new country especially for someone so young, he signed when he was still 18.

He will grow, improve, get stronger, learn the game here with time. He’s less than a year older than most of the 5 “kids” that came off the bench today. He has been chucked in at the deep end on a sinking ship this season and I hope he’s learned a lot.

The most ardent critics seem utterly unaware of the bit in bold - Melkerson actually played a perfect sliderule pass to Scott and then sprinted like hell to get on the end of the cross from which he put his effort wide. Yes it was a bad miss - but the opportunity would not have presented itself without Melkerson's excellent throughball.

He is a player and has already shown he has quality and can finish - have faith - he will come good!

basehibby
16-05-2022, 09:33 AM

There's no defending ignorant pish like you are posting - the chance was CREATED by Melkerson's excellent throughball. Every transfer is a gamble but I think we will come out smelling of roses from this one with just a wee bit patience shown for a promising young player.

Tambo
16-05-2022, 09:33 AM
Tam said on the commentary that it was a sitter and miss of the season.

Kept his head up after and won't be judging Melkersen untill the end of next season but I do agree he looks better with a partner.

MKHIBEE
16-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Dearie me, you really are beginning to make yourself look like a complete slaver

DH1875
16-05-2022, 10:12 AM
His pass and then run into the box to set up his miss actually fills me with more confidence.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2022, 10:14 AM
At least he’s getting into the box to miss chances
I think he’ll come good, just going to take a bit of time. He’s still only a kid

jacomo
16-05-2022, 10:29 AM

Learning and developing as a society is nothing to be ashamed of.

There are many things that football fans used to say that are now deemed unacceptable, almost always for very good reasons.

Be part of a better world, no one likes a self-pitying prick.

MrSmith
16-05-2022, 10:40 AM
Seemed to come at him really quickly but at least he tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynaqwpmfn0o

Smartie
16-05-2022, 10:43 AM
At least he’s getting into the box to miss chances
I think he’ll come good, just going to take a bit of time. He’s still only a kid

I think my biggest frustration this season was when Cadden was hitting balls across the 6 yard box and nobody was even close to getting on the end of them (well, there was the "every man back for corners" stuff as well but we'll ignore that for now).

So I agree that it's a vast improvement to have Melkerson getting in there and getting on the end of stuff, even if he isn't quite converting them yet.

Balls hitting off James Scott and going in is an improvement too, and simply wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been in there.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2022, 10:51 AM
Those two finishes against Motherwell were really very good, the 2nd one was sublime. He seemed confident then, and those finishes were maybe a look into the future when he's more used to us, more comfortable in the team, and an integral part of it.

He's come to a struggling side, not a lot going for us, and on top of a heavy price tag, we were probably wanting a more finished player, but he is only 19.

It's a different strategy by the club, i've never seen us spend that type of money for someone who's not ready for the 1st team, but it is what it is, and maybe the new manager will get enough cash to bring in quality players that will help him slowly find his feet and make one of the positions in the team his own.

I suppose that's the hope. :pray:

Vault Boy
16-05-2022, 11:00 AM

Gotta take a little time

leith lynx
16-05-2022, 11:06 AM
Those two finishes against Motherwell were really very good, the 2nd one was sublime. He seemed confident then, and those finishes were maybe a look into the future when he's more used to us, more comfortable in the team, and an integral part of it.

He's come to a struggling side, not a lot going for us, and on top of a heavy price tag, we were probably wanting a more finished player, but he is only 19.

It's a different strategy by the club, i've never seen us spend that type of money for someone who's not ready for the 1st team, but it is what it is, and maybe the new manager will get enough cash to bring in quality players that will help him slowly find his feet and make one of the positions in the team his own.

I suppose that's the hope. :pray:
Hope so!

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 11:10 AM
There's no defending ignorant pish like you are posting - the chance was CREATED by Melkerson's excellent throughball. Every transfer is a gamble but I think we will come out smelling of roses from this one with just a wee bit patience shown for a promising young player.

YES he did tremendously well to create a chance and miss a sitter against *checks notes* St Johnstone b team in a dead rubber. Maybe if he'd shown up in important matches we'd have a cup final to look forward to this weekend.

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 11:20 AM
YES he did tremendously well to create a chance and miss a sitter against *checks notes* St Johnstone b team in a dead rubber. Maybe if he'd shown up in important matches we'd have a cup final to look forward to this weekend.

If he still at the club, I’ll bet you that Melkerson will have more Hibs goals by his 21st birthday than Riordan did upon turning 21.

Will you take that bet with me?

CallumHibs07
16-05-2022, 11:25 AM
The sitter against United is what mattered. Score that and we'd have qualified for the top 6 and would likely be playing in Europe next season. Costly.

Radium
16-05-2022, 11:26 AM
… so glad we didn’t bin Martin Boyle after missing an open goal against Falkirk that would have put us 4-1 up in a game we went on to draw 3-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 11:42 AM
If he still at the club, I’ll bet you that Melkerson will have more Hibs goals by his 21st birthday than Riordan did upon turning 21.

Will you take that bet with me?

So 12 then? If you take away the caveat of "if he's still at hibs" because if he's not and he hasn't he's clearly failed.

Here's a better bet perhaps before we go comparing apples with oranges anyway. Melkersen won't finish his hibs career with more goals than Oli Shaw.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2022, 11:54 AM
So 12 then? If you take away the caveat of "if he's still at hibs" because if he's not and he hasn't he's clearly failed.

Here's a better bet perhaps before we go comparing apples with oranges anyway. Melkersen won't finish his hibs career with more goals than Oli Shaw.

Thus speaketh the Oracle.

What an embarrassing contribution to a discussion on a very young and inexperienced striker.

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 11:57 AM

If you don’t have enough confidence to take the bet just say so.

CL0762
16-05-2022, 12:00 PM

Didn’t he show up in an important match to get us to hampden in the first place 🤔

bigwheel
16-05-2022, 12:05 PM

He was sub in the semi - brought on with 15 mins to go ..if that is the best you can throw at him, you clearly have little to back up your case ..

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2022, 12:06 PM
that miss aside, I think he will come good but imo he has to bulk up, at the moment he's bit lightweight for this league, he gets bundled off the ball too often

Agree with this, at least 3 times on Sunday he lost possession in decent positions purely through being muscled off the ball, he needs to bulk up a wee bit for sure. Having said that if you watch him throughout the game he is always moving and more than once he found good space about 30 yards out and just didn't get the ball and I swear at least twice it was because the Hibs player in possession didn't have the confidence in their own ability to play the 20 or 30 yard pass that would have picked him out.

The other thing I agree with is that clubs like Hibs don't fork out the sort of money we have on this kid to play him in the development team, that's for clubs like Spurs, West Ham and maybe Celtic .... if we have done it would be a frightening sign that the folk running this club have an incredibly warped idea of it's place in the grand scheme of things, you would have to have no knowledge of football at our level at all to think over three hundred thousand pounds shouldn't have an immediate impact on the quality of the first team.

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 12:08 PM
If you don’t have enough confidence to take the bet just say so.

If you don't have enough confidence that he won't be here cos he's failed just say so.

I'll take both bets btw if you're willing to take away your cushy wee safety net. Or you can keep it and I'll add one of my own and discount league cup group stage goals against farmers

MikeyS
16-05-2022, 12:09 PM

You really are a tedious bore on here! And as for this chronic checks notes patter, that definitely belongs back on *checks notes, Kickback!

Stuart93
16-05-2022, 12:11 PM
Surely posters aren’t having a go at a 19 year auld laddie who’s only been here for half a season?

Plenty more developing to do

Hibs90
16-05-2022, 12:11 PM

That's gotta be the worst take I've ever seen.

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 12:14 PM

We shall see

A Hi-Bee
16-05-2022, 12:16 PM
I see the school playground is pretty full today, ffs, this is dire when we slag off our players like this.
The young guy is a player alright and sure time will tell, you have to be there to miss the chance in the first place.
:thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2022, 12:17 PM

Without him there was no semi final.

hhibs
16-05-2022, 12:25 PM
Surely posters aren’t having a go at a 19 year auld laddie who’s only been here for half a season?

Plenty more developing to do

Exactly, hard to believe the flak the young guy is getting from a few posters

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 12:26 PM
If you don't have enough confidence that he won't be here cos he's failed just say so.

I'll take both bets btw if you're willing to take away your cushy wee safety net. Or you can keep it and I'll add one of my own and discount league cup group stage goals against farmers

The caveat was actually in case he was sold to a bigger club next summer but sure I’ll remove it 👍

Ok, so to confirm, the bet is that Melkerson will have scored 13 goals for Hibs before 01/01/2024. (Currently on 2)

Say the loser donates £200 to the Dnipro Kids, deal?

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 12:29 PM

Yup. The majority of Shaw’s goals were scored as a 21 year old in the best Hibs team of the last 15 years. Melkerson is a 19 year old in a new country playing in one of the least creative Hibs teams of the last 15 years.

Mr. Wonderful
The caveat was actually in case he was sold to a bigger club next summer but sure I’ll remove it 👍

Ok, so to confirm, the bet is that Melkerson will have scored 13 goals for Hibs before 01/01/2024. (Currently on 2)

Say the loser donates £200 to the Dnipro Kids, deal?

Competitive games only and I'll take it.

CapitalGreen
Competitive games only and I'll take it.

Obviously

🤝

SaulGoodman
16-05-2022, 12:36 PM

The same Oli Shaw that had one of the best Midfields in Scottish football at the time behind him.

Melkersen has any combination of Newell, JDH, Campbell and Henderson behind him.

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 12:53 PM
The same Oli Shaw that had one of the best Midfields in Scottish football at the time behind him.

Melkersen has any combination of Newell, JDH, Campbell and Henderson behind him.

Aye the same Shaw who had milligan, mallan, slivka, hyndman, Bartley, bigirimana et al. Hibs have their biggest ever budget now, so there's no excuses.

SaulGoodman
16-05-2022, 12:59 PM
Aye the same Shaw who had milligan, mallan, slivka, hyndman, Bartley, bigirimana et al. Hibs have their biggest ever budget now, so there's no excuses.

Nice one, just you handpick the midfielders he’s played with to suit your agenda. Including Bigirimana who played 1 game for us.

Milligan, Mallan, Slivka and especially Bartley were hardly bad midfield players.

HoboHarry
16-05-2022, 01:04 PM
Surprising to see so many responding to a fairly obvious troll.

Sergio sledge
16-05-2022, 01:17 PM
Yup. The majority of Shaw’s goals were scored as a 21 year old in the best Hibs team of the last 15 years. Melkerson is a 19 year old in a new country playing in one of the least creative Hibs teams of the last 15 years.

It is an interesting comparison, Oli Shaw started exceptionally well, scoring 4 goals in 6 starts and 10 sub appearances by the time he was Melkerson's age. He was scoring at a rate of 149 minutes per goal in a Hibs team which finished the season scoring 1.63 goals per game or a goal every 55 minutes of play.

He had the benefit of having come through the system at Hibs, being comfortable in his surroundings and being brought into a team surrounded by players like SJM, Allan, McGeouch, Boyle, MacLaren (in his first spell), Kamberi (in his first spell).

Melkerson has come into an awful Hibs team averaging only 1 goal per game over the season and has understandably struggled, scoring 2 goals in 8 starts and 4 sub appearances at a rate of 345 mins per goal. This team has been creating nothing though and it's been a really tough slog for him.

By comparison at the same age Riordan had scored 3 goals in 5 starts and 15 sub appearances at 250 mins per goal. Riordan came into a team scoring 1.47 goals per game.

It'll be interesting to see how Melkerson gets on next season when (hopefully) the team is on better form and more attacking. I don't think he was brought in for the development team, but I certainly think that the management would have preferred to have been able to bring him into the team more gradually and not put so much pressure on him, unfortunately inuries to Nisbet and Doidge meant he was thrown in at the deep end.

I've seen enough to think that he's got the talent to make it here, but so much depends on the team around him and stability behind the scenes.

bigwheel
16-05-2022, 01:21 PM
It is an interesting comparison, Oli Shaw started exceptionally well, scoring 4 goals in 6 starts and 10 sub appearances by the time he was Melkerson's age. He was scoring at a rate of 149 minutes per goal in a Hibs team which finished the season scoring 1.63 goals per game or a goal every 55 minutes of play.

He had the benefit of having come through the system at Hibs, being comfortable in his surroundings and being brought into a team surrounded by players like SJM, Allan, McGeouch, Boyle, MacLaren (in his first spell), Kamberi (in his first spell).

Melkerson has come into an awful Hibs team averaging only 1 goal per game over the season and has understandably struggled, scoring 2 goals in 8 starts and 4 sub appearances at a rate of 345 mins per goal. This team has been creating nothing though and it's been a really tough slog for him.

By comparison at the same age Riordan had scored 3 goals in 5 starts and 15 sub appearances at 250 mins per goal. Riordan came into a team scoring 1.47 goals per game.

It'll be interesting to see how Melkerson gets on next season when (hopefully) the team is on better form and more attacking. I don't think he was brought in for the development team, but I certainly think that the management would have preferred to have been able to bring him into the team more gradually and not put so much pressure on him, unfortunately inuries to Nisbet and Doidge meant he was thrown in at the deep end.

I've seen enough to think that he's got the talent to make it here, but so much depends on the team around him and stability behind the scenes.

I do like a bit of analysis on here [emoji119][emoji119]

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 01:33 PM

Any idea what midfield Riordan had behind him under BW when he scored those goals, since apparently it makes a huge difference?

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 01:42 PM

I agree with the points you make but I’m not sure some of the stats you have are correct in the first paragraph. If you are using Transfermarkt, they have an incorrect DOB listed for Shaw.

Melkerson is 19 years & 135 days.

Shaw scored his first goal for Hibs when he was 19 years & 141 days.

Riordan scored his first goal for Hibs when he was 20 years & 86 days.

Sergio sledge
16-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Any idea what midfield Riordan had behind him under BW when he scored those goals, since apparently it makes a huge difference?

Jack, Brebner, O'Neil and Orman vs Livingston and Jack, Brebner and Matyus (I think, although it's a struggle to work out what formation was being played) when he scored 2 vs Aberdeen.

It clearly does make a difference the players playing around you and the set up of the team, Oli Shaw came into a team scoring 1.63 goals per game, Riordan into a team averaging 1.47 goals per game and Melkerson into a team averaging 1 goal per game. I'd have hoped that he would have scored more if he'd come into the 2017/2018 team.

It'll be interesting to see how he develops. Hopefully you are wrong about him.

CapitalGreen
16-05-2022, 01:46 PM

The midfield for Riordan’s debut goal was Ian Murray, Grant Brebner and John O’Neill and he was up front alongside Garry O’Connor.

Sergio sledge
16-05-2022, 01:57 PM
I agree with the points you make but I’m not sure some of the stats you have are correct in the first paragraph. If you are using Transfermarkt, they have an incorrect DOB listed for Shaw.

Melkerson is 19 years & 135 days.

Shaw scored his first goal for Hibs when he was 19 years & 141 days.

Riordan scored his first goal for Hibs when he was 20 years & 86 days.

You could be right, I was basing it on Soccerbase where his birthdate is listed as 12/09/1998, making him 19 years and 44 days old when he scored against Celtic. Happy to stand corrected though.

You are right about Riordan as well, I was a year out with my calculations :greengrin

Makes things look a bit better for Melkerson though.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2022, 02:02 PM
You could be right, I was basing it on Soccerbase where his birthdate is listed as 12/09/1998, making him 19 years and 44 days old when he scored against Celtic. Happy to stand corrected though.

You are right about Riordan as well, I was a year out with my calculations :greengrin

Makes things look a bit better for Melkerson though.

Shaw was born on 12th March 1998.

basehibby
16-05-2022, 02:24 PM
Exactly, hard to believe the flak the young guy is getting from a few posters

Only really one that's writing him off unfairly and I'm sure he'll be back wibbling and slavering all over the thread presently.

Mr. Wonderful
16-05-2022, 02:31 PM
Jack, Brebner, O'Neil and Orman vs Livingston and Jack, Brebner and Matyus (I think, although it's a struggle to work out what formation was being played) when he scored 2 vs Aberdeen.

It clearly does make a difference the players playing around you and the set up of the team, Oli Shaw came into a team scoring 1.63 goals per game, Riordan into a team averaging 1.47 goals per game and Melkerson into a team averaging 1 goal per game. I'd have hoped that he would have scored more if he'd come into the 2017/2018 team.

It'll be interesting to see how he develops. Hopefully you are wrong about him.

Cheers. The only thing I'll add is that good strikers score goals regardless. Griffiths is the obvious example but Kris Boyd is another.

I hope I'm wrong too but I just don't see it

SlickShoes
16-05-2022, 03:12 PM
Cheers. The only thing I'll add is that good strikers score goals regardless. Griffiths is the obvious example but Kris Boyd is another.

Erling Haaland
2015–2016 Bryne 2 14 -Apps (18)gls
2016–2017 Bryne 16 -Apps (0)gls
2017 Molde 2 4 -Apps (2)gls
2017–2019 Molde 39 -Apps (14)gls

Even one of the best strikers in the world had a period where he didn't score, rattled them in for the reserves, moved up, and didn't score a single goal.

When he moved to Molde he scored 2 goals in his first 13 games, suppose they should have punted him at that point.

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2022, 03:17 PM

Do they? Benzema scored 5 league goals in a season not long ago.

There is about 500 hundred examples of top strikers from all over the world struggling at times.

Melkersen isn't even struggling ffs. Guy played well, goals will come.

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2022, 03:18 PM
Erling Haaland
2015–2016Bryne 214 -Apps(18)gls
2016–2017Bryne16 -Apps(0)gls
2017 Molde 24 -Apps(2)gls
2017–2019Molde39 -Apps(14)gls

Even one of the best strikers in the world had a period where he didn't score, rattled them in for the reserves, moved up, and didn't score a single goal.

When he moved to Molde he scored 2 goals in his first 13 games, suppose they should have punted him at that point.

He was about 15 tbf

SlickShoes
16-05-2022, 03:39 PM
He was about 15 tbf

When he played for Molde he was 17/18, but Melkersen is 18 when he signed and 19 now. Also I am not comparing him to Haaland, just saying Haaland is one of the best strikers on earth and he wasn't magically amazing at every stage in his career.