PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Johnstone 15 05 2022)

Jonnyboy
15-05-2022, 03:41 PM
With empty seats galore around the three home stands, I suppose it could be argued that those choosing not to attend missed a four goal bonanza with the much derided James Scott bagging a hat trick. Until the first goal we were being bettered by a makeshift St. Johnstone side at least in terms of possession but the end result led to happy smiling faces as the fans trooped out at the finish.

Two changes were made to the starting eleven with Bushiri and Campbell dropping to the bench whilst Melkersen and McGregor (captain for the day) came in. I’d guess that might well be Darren’s final game in a Hibs jersey and he marked it by turning in a fine display. It was good also to see a number of youngsters, from the table topping U18’s side, on the bench.

It was expected that Saints would be leaving players out with the play-offs coming up in the coming week and that’s exactly what they did. Even so, they had the better of the early possession and in those early minutes both Gilmour and Butterfield had shots but neither troubled Matt Macey. At the other end, a delivery from Ewan Henderson was met by Darren McGregor and although the headed attempt was on target, Elliot Parish plucked it out of the air before it reached the target. It was a bit alarming at how much space the visitors were finding in midfield where Lewis Stevenson seemed to be fighting a lone battle. More than once, Stevenson had to make a telling challenge to halt the progression of the visitors and it seemed to me that his midfield team mates were not pulling their weight.

On the half hour, Cifti fed Middleton, but the latter’s strike was easily saved by Macey. Five minutes later a cracking cross by Newell found Doig at the back post but the Hibs No. 3 struck his effort wide when a goal looked certain. A series of midfield exchanges followed until ten minutes from the interval when Scott fed Clarke with the latter striking a fierce shot that was defected for a corner. Next, whilst defending a corner in his own box, Shaun Rooney managed to burst clear and was bearing down on goal with only Lewis Stevenson around to challenge him. The experience of Lewis meant he challenged for the ball at just the right time and the threat of conceding was averted.

It has to be said that we were second best for the bulk of the half but in the final minute of the half, Hibs broke the deadlock when a corner was met by Melkersen who headed the ball back into the danger area. Both Porteous and McGinn went for but it would be McGinn that applied the finishing touch as he poked the ball into the net from close range.

The hosts started the second half brightly and within a few minutes doubled their lead. There was an element of good fortune to it when McGinn’s cross into the area was missed in the air by Jamie McCart and the ball then struck James Scott on the thigh before rolling into the net. There’s been plenty of occasions this season when such a lucky break eluded Hibs and so this one was more than welcome. Ten minutes later, McGregor was booked for a foul around twenty two yards from goal allowing Glenn Middleton to try and hit the target, but his poor effort sailed over the bar. Moments later, Ryan Porteous latched on to a ball inside his own penalty area and went on a marauding run of some 60 or 70 yards before being stopped in his tracks by Shaun Rooney who was booked for the challenge. Henderson took the resultant free kick but failed to get it past the wall. Soon after, Josh Doig saw an effort flash wide with Hibs now gaining the upper hand.

After Charlie Gilmour was booked for a pretty reckless challenge on Stevenson, Hibs kept possession and a lovely cross from the right by Newell saw James Scott on hand to double his tally and increase Hibs’ lead to 3-0. Whilst there may have been an element of luck for the first one, no luck was involved this time as Scott struck the ball sweetly into the net.

With a little over 20 minutes left, Clarke was replaced by Murray Aiken who was making his first team debut and immediately drew applause from the home support as he jigged past a St Johnstone player and fed McGinn with a fine pass. The visitors were struggling to offer anything in terms of hitting the target although both Butterfield and Cifti did see chances blocked. Next, Melkersen set up Scott who was inches away from getting a hat trick as the ball flashed just wide of the post. Seconds later, Scott rifled in a shot that Parrish could only parry into the path of Melkersen, but the youngster couldn’t react quickly enough and steered his shot wide of a gaping goal. Undeterred, Melkerson soon had another chance, but this time Parrish saved.

Both sides then decided to make changes with Hibs replacing Melkersen with Robbie Hamilton whilst Liam Gordon and Liam Craig replaced Rooney and Butterfield. Oscar MacIntyre then replaced a limping Ryan Porteous and as the big defender limped off, I wondered whether we’d see him in a Hibs jersey again.

Just to remind Hibs the game wasn’t quite over yet, Middleton tested Macey with a shot, but the keeper was up to the challenge and then Murray Aiken fouled Liam Craig who reacted badly to the challenge and was in the referee’s face complaining, as usual. Soon after that, Aiken found himself at the edge of the St. Johnstone box but before he could get a shot away the ball was nicked away from him. With five minutes left, McGinn and Henderson were replaced by Alan Delferriere and Jacob Blaney and the guys arrived just in time to watch Josh Doig deliver a superb cross into the box for James Scott to steer a header into the top corner for his hat trick. I know Scott hasn’t been very popular with the fans but even the harshest of critics must have been pleased for him today.

With the game over the players and their families, together with the coaching staff walked round the pitch and I know a fair few posters on here were suggesting they had no right to do that given the season we’ve had but my view is that the event allowed the players to applaud the fans for sticking with them through trying times. I was pleased to see that the vast majority in the home stands stayed to acknowledge that.

The players – In a departure from the norm, I’m going to have a joint award today to two players who deserve that recognition.

Macey – Matt had one good save in the first half, pushing a fierce strike away to his right but otherwise it was a quiet afternoon for the big guy.

McGinn – Another goal for the likeable McGinn who played well and gave a lot of his time at the end to the young fans nearest the pitch.

McGregor – If this was indeed his final appearance, I can confidently say he finished with a fine performance.

Porteous – After a couple of ropey passes in the first half, Ryan came in to his own and that run in the second half had the whole place bouncing.

Clarke – Harry has some engine in him, and he clearly enjoys playing for this club, so I hope Arsenal don’t recall him over the summer.

Newell – Joe had a strange sort of game today in that he was posted missing in the midfield a few times but also managed to put in a few excellent crosses, one of which led to a goal.

Stevenson – If there is a blade of grass that Lewis didn’t cover today, someone will need to point it out to me. He was everywhere and totally committed from start to finish. That jockeying of Rooney is worth the man of the match award alone but it’s his overall performance that wins it for me.

Doig – Josh had a good outing, and both attacked and defended well. He’s another with a superb engine to go with his undoubted skill.

Henderson – Ewan had a quieter day today, but you could see flashes of what might be in store for us to watch in the future.

Melkersen – I feel heart sorry for the laddie as nothing went right for him and especially that glaring second half miss but good will come of him yet, I feel sure.

Scott – A hat trick and a decent all round performance means he shares my man of the match award with Lewis. Bizarre to think that the last Hibs player to score a hat trick was Martin Boyle!

Aiken – At 17 you’re still growing, and he has a way to go but for someone so young, inexperienced and slight of build he certainly didn’t shy away from anything.

MacIntyre – Showed a maturity when under pressure and helped keep that clean sheet.

Hamilton – Looked busy and eager to get involved.

Delferriere – This laddie has pace and looked more than comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Blaney – Only got around 7 or 8 minutes but looked solid in the back three.

SDG – Must have been delighted with the end result and I’m sure, like me, he enjoyed watching us play with some freedom after the second goal went in.

Referee – David Dickinson – I hardly really noticed him during the game so it could be argued he done a good job.

And finally ………….. My last TIHIF of the season. Thank you for all the feedback and I hope my utterings have helped contribute to debate.

Billy Whizz
15-05-2022, 03:47 PM
Jonnyboy, thanks for all the “This is how it feels” this season

I hope next season is a much much better one for Hibs and their loyal fans!

Enjoyed the game and the goals today

Bostonhibby
15-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Cheers for that JB, wasn't even able to listen today so it feels just like I was there[emoji16]

Thanks for all you do here, it is a good benchmark for those of us further afield to check against what we listen to and sometimes see[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

tanfield
15-05-2022, 03:53 PM
Stevenson was absolutely immense today.

Inconsequential
15-05-2022, 03:54 PM
Thank you Johnny for the reports over the season. Usually a rational, balanced and informative contribution unlike much of the nonsense that gets posted on here. Enjoy your close season but go easy on the Pimms. :wink:

Mick O'Rourke
Haste ye back JB with some roving and roaring reports of good performances and victories
:thumbsup: GGTTH

:hibees

Northernhibee
Cheers JB, always something I look out for post match. Enjoy your summer 👍👍

Golden Bear
15-05-2022, 03:55 PM
Many Thanks for your reports over the course of a very dismal season JB.

👍

Scotty Leither
15-05-2022, 03:55 PM
Well done John, I’ve enjoyed your insights and very rarely disagreed with your match summaries this season.

Which is saying something for a contrary so and so like me! 😉

Bobby Coombe
15-05-2022, 04:03 PM
How Stevenson continues to cover so much ground over 90 minutes at his age is just amazing and Daz too had a fine game today. Really good to see the youngsters given an outing.
JB, your reports are always first-class and much appreciated.

HibbyAndy
15-05-2022, 04:14 PM
Stevenson eh , What a guy what a player , Gives everything every single match

Fuzzywuzzy
15-05-2022, 04:25 PM
I actually laughed when melkersen missed his sitter. Fortunately we were 3-0!!

Just realised he missed a sitter roughly same area against Aberdeen😂😂 he got abuse for that

Aldo
15-05-2022, 04:26 PM
Cheers JB! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LewysGot2
15-05-2022, 04:27 PM
Stevenson has clearly looked after himself throughout his career and it is highlighting how others are not making the most of the opportunities presented to them by football. Despite today’s contribution, you can’t look at James Scott and think he’s doing the same.

Northernhibee
15-05-2022, 04:29 PM
Stevenson eh , What a guy what a player , Gives everything every single match

A true one off.

MartinfaePorty
15-05-2022, 04:32 PM
Great summary,but Macey also had a great block from Midddleton 2nd half.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Jim Herriot
15-05-2022, 04:42 PM
Thanks as ever, Jonnyboy. Your thoughtful analysis is always appreciated. Even after a bad result, not today of course, your carefully worded criticisms are a welcome relief after many of the usual knee-jerk reactions.

Greenio
15-05-2022, 04:46 PM
Big thanks to you Jonnyboy

Love your reviews

Wull
15-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Many thanks JB, always my first read after a game, your no often wrong, but your right again. :thumbsup:

cannastar
15-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Cheers Jonnyboy for your input throughout the season always look forward to your reports.

tonyrougier123
15-05-2022, 05:18 PM
The football at an end,just as the pitch and weather is getting better.
After a winter of shoddy football it almost feels quite crap that the season is over.
Few redeeming moments in this season an interesting summer ahead for hibs regardless.
Thanks for all reports through the season jonnyboy always a pleasure to read.
Enjoy your summer!

JohnM1875
15-05-2022, 05:22 PM
Stevenson was absolutely immense today.

Correct.

When they broke and it was only Lewie back against a few Saints players running at him, you just knew he'd deal with it.

The guy has been unbelievable this season. Playing at least three different positions. Man, what a player.

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Looking forward to next season already

Cannot be any worse

Many thanks for all your hard work

It is really appreciated

Stay safe

Fuzzywuzzy
15-05-2022, 05:33 PM
Was also nice to play with two up front. It does seem to make a difference!

The Captain....
15-05-2022, 05:52 PM
Always an interesting read, thank you for making the effort throughout a disappointing season.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Bridge hibs
15-05-2022, 06:22 PM
Thanks Johnnyboy, hope to read more next season, enjoy your well earned break 👍

Eyrie
15-05-2022, 06:40 PM
Accurate and honest as ever.

Thanks for all the reports and enjoy the break.

Franck Stanton
15-05-2022, 07:24 PM
Definitely the first post I look for after every game. Well done young man, more power to your elbow. Keep 'em coming.
If you describe McGinns acrobatic goal as "poked the ball into the net" then you truly are a hard man to please. Lol

O'Rourke3
15-05-2022, 08:27 PM
Thanks again JB. Looking forward to the next set. Hopefully cheerier than this years. The goal changed everything today. Probably the best end of season game since Goram scored (well next to the 5-5...)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Cat Stanton
15-05-2022, 09:49 PM
Sincere thanks for doing this every week. Yours is the first report I look for, especially for games I've missed. Much appreciated.

wookie70
15-05-2022, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your muttering over the season. Not an easy one to write about. Lewis was my man of the match by a distance and that says something when we had a player scoring a hatrick. I thought Henderson was very poor. Set pieces terrible and he gave the ball away the first 6 times he was involved with lazy poor passes. He got a bit better as the game wore on but he really needs to do so much more.

Smartie
15-05-2022, 11:10 PM
Great summary,but Macey also had a great block from Midddleton 2nd half.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Macey had a good game today. Not much to do, but what he did he did well.

Dalkeith Boy
16-05-2022, 02:48 AM
Many thanks John, always the first post I read after the game. Straight forward honest appraisal of events and performances.

AZhibee
16-05-2022, 04:11 AM
Thanks for another season of game summaries, Jonnyboy. Until next time, :flag::flag::flag:

PeeJay
16-05-2022, 04:48 AM
Thanks from me too for your consistently interesting and frank summaries: enjoy the break and let's hope next season wipes away the memory of this awful one ...

judas
16-05-2022, 05:32 AM
Many thanks for your excellent reports this season 👍

jacomo
16-05-2022, 07:24 AM
Thanks again JB. Having filled in for you just once, it’s clear how hard you work to deliver these reports on every match. I enjoy them a great deal.

As for the team… some end of season reflections. Once again, our midfield struggled to assert control, and against a makeshift Saints team as well. Getting the first goal helped of course.

Joe Newell remains an enigma to me. Henderson doesn’t look very good and I would have preferred to keep Mueller instead, who at least has good feet. Lewis once again one of our best performers but he can’t do it on his own.

Big Daz and Porto will be big losses if they both move on this summer.

I got criticised on the match day thread for casting doubt on the ability of any of the debutants to step up next season, but this issue can’t be ignored. Having one or two young players able to claim their place would be hugely welcome, given that we will probably see a lot of change this summer.

Stonewall
16-05-2022, 07:39 AM
Your measured and thorough reports stand out amongst the over the top reactions and draining negativity surrounding all things Hibs at the moment.

Thank you JB and enjoy your break over the summer.

Stubbsy90+2
16-05-2022, 07:45 AM
Thanks again JB. Having filled in for you just once, it’s clear how hard you work to deliver these reports on every match. I enjoy them a great deal.

As for the team… some end of season reflections. Once again, our midfield struggled to assert control, and against a makeshift Saints team as well. Getting the first goal helped of course.

Joe Newell remains an enigma to me. Henderson doesn’t look very good and I would have preferred to keep Mueller instead, who at least has good feet. Lewis once again one of our best performers but he can’t do it on his own.

Big Daz and Porto will be big losses if they both move on this summer.

I got criticised on the match day thread for casting doubt on the ability of any of the debutants to step up next season, but this issue can’t be ignored. Having one or two young players able to claim their place would be hugely welcome, given that we will probably see a lot of change this summer.

I said the same after the game regarding the debutants. We could really do with one or two youngsters able to step up that are already here.

You’d have to imagine the most likely candidates would be Hague and Delferriere. Maybe Josh O’Connor as well? With such a huge turnover it would be handy if we had a couple ‘new’ players waiting in the wings.

JimBHibees
16-05-2022, 07:52 AM
I think it is a shame the under 18 team play on a Friday night as would have been a breathe of fresh air for them to have got more game time in the bottom 6 games. Surely they could play their games mid week to allow this.

WestStandWillie
16-05-2022, 08:01 AM
As far as i'm concerned the first 2 names on the team sheet next season are Clarke and Stevenson.

Clarke has some devastating speed and the wee man is just getting better with age. You'll still get the naysayers who come out with the "not good enough" or "can't beat the first man with his crossing" patter but as far as i'm concerned they're eejits.

Smartie
16-05-2022, 08:18 AM
I said the same after the game regarding the debutants. We could really do with one or two youngsters able to step up that are already here.

You’d have to imagine the most likely candidates would be Hague and Delferriere. Maybe Josh O’Connor as well? With such a huge turnover it would be handy if we had a couple ‘new’ players waiting in the wings.

I quite liked the look of Delferriere. He looked to have the physicality and energy to play at that level, even if he was obviously a bit rough around the edges.

jacomo
16-05-2022, 08:22 AM

Soon after coming on Delferriere tried to do a trick turn and lost the ball.

A few minutes later he tried the same trick and the same thing happened.

I was tearing my hair out. Don’t these guys know to focus on the simple stuff, complete a few passes and play their way into the game? Do your job for your team, then maybe add the heroics on top.

Obviously he’s a prospect, but he needs to be better than that.

Dan Sarf
16-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Many thanks for your excellent reports this season 👍

:agree:

Smartie
16-05-2022, 08:29 AM
Soon after coming on Delferriere tried to do a trick turn and lost the ball.

A few minutes later he tried the same trick and the same thing happened.

I was tearing my hair out. Don’t these guys know to focus on the simple stuff, complete a few passes and play their way into the game? Do your job for your team, then maybe add the heroics on top.

Obviously he’s a prospect, but he needs to be better than that.

That's the great value in him getting a wee run out yesterday and it was a shame we couldn't have given more young players the last 15 minutes of games after relegation had been avoided.

All part of the learning experience.

Jay
16-05-2022, 10:42 AM
Thank you for your reports this season JB. They are a part of my match day now :aok:

Groathillgrump
16-05-2022, 10:51 AM
I rarely comment on your pieces but always look forward to reading them and 9 times out of 10 I'll be nodding in agreement with your summaries.

Keep up the good work as it's much appreciated. :aok:

bigwheel
16-05-2022, 10:57 AM
Thanks Johnnyboy!! Another season of great summary and good debate sparked off by this thread - long make you continue ! Enjoy your close season ! [emoji1][emoji106]

H18S NX
16-05-2022, 11:00 AM
Thank you Johnnyboy,have a great summer m8:aok:

BroxburnHibee
16-05-2022, 11:08 AM
John, thank you yet again for taking the time to contribute these reports throughout the season. God knows that must have felt a trial this year :greengrin

Enjoy your summer break sir and hopefully next season we have a lot more to smile about.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.......

ancient hibee
16-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Thanks for your efforts this season. One of the few "Hibs things"that deserves a player of the year award.

ozhibs
16-05-2022, 12:19 PM
Thanks for This is how it feels I love reading them and find you are usually spot on with the analysis, not over the top and not wa to cut your throat either
GGTTH

JimBHibees
16-05-2022, 07:54 PM
Always the first I read after a game. Excellent detail and fair to both sides. Well done enjoy your deserved break :aok: