PDA

View Full Version : The official definitive Hibernian squad clear-out thread

Diclonius
15-05-2022, 01:12 PM
Vote for whether, on balance, you would keep or get rid of the following squad members this season. Multiple choice poll so as many answers as you like.

Aim Here
15-05-2022, 01:35 PM
Vote for whether, on balance, you would keep or get rid of the following squad members this season. Multiple choice poll so as many answers as you like.

Any reason why Sylvester Jasper isn't in the poll? I'd keep him

MKHIBEE
15-05-2022, 01:39 PM
It won’t let me vote for keeping no one.

Diclonius
16-05-2022, 02:43 PM
So far, going by referendum rules, Hibs initial squad next season would be:

GK: Dabrowski
DF: Clarke, Doig, Hanlon, Porteous, McGinn, Mitchell, Cadden
MF: Newell, Stevenson, Hauge, Henderson
FW: Nisbet, Melkersen

Hermit Crab
16-05-2022, 02:47 PM
So far, going by referendum rules, Hibs initial squad next season would be:

GK: Dabrowski
DF: Clarke, Doig, Hanlon, Porteous, McGinn, Mitchell, Cadden
MF: Newell, Stevenson, Hauge, Henderson
FW: Nisbet, Melkersen

These three should be away as well.

Iain G
16-05-2022, 02:58 PM

You are getting good at this dry humour 😁

MartinfaePorty
16-05-2022, 02:59 PM

Why bother having a poll if you're just going to answer for everyone?

Gaffer1875
16-05-2022, 04:06 PM
Doesn’t the official comms from the club come out 1 or 2 days after the season end saying who has left / returning to their parent club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
16-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Doesn’t the official comms from the club come out 1 or 2 days after the season end saying who has left / returning to their parent club?

Yes, but we usually have a manager in place who’s part of the decision making

KWJ
16-05-2022, 06:22 PM
There's not many I'd want to actively punt/get rid of for free and while I'd like to keep someone like Paul Hanlon, I would like to see us bring in improvements too.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2022, 06:25 PM
There's not many I'd want to actively punt/get rid of for free and while I'd like to keep someone like Paul Hanlon, I would like to see us bring in improvements too.

Paul’s under contract for another 2 seasons
If you click on the detailed button, shows who has what left on their contract

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/kader/verein/903/saison_id/2021/plus/1

Smartie
16-05-2022, 06:27 PM
I’d be happy for Wright and Allan’s deals not to be renewed and I don’t think James Scott should be back next season.

Other than that, I’d rather the new manager got a good look at everyone. If he deems anyone fit to be part of his plans then I’d accept that, if he saw fit to lose anyone after seeing what they can / cannot do, I’d equally be on board with that.

Tbh I think the only ones I’d be 100% up for keeping would be Doig, Clarke, Magennis, Mitchell, Cadden and Stevenson. The rest I could be convinced either way.

Hermit Crab
16-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Why bother having a poll if you're just going to answer for everyone?

I'm not answering a posters question, I'm offering my opinion. That ok?

Sir David Gray
16-05-2022, 06:31 PM
Based on what I've seen so far;

Clarke
Porteous
Magennis
Nisbet
Stevenson
Demetri Mitchell
Cadden

Obviously more than that will stay but that's the ones I would actively want to retain for next season.

MartinfaePorty
16-05-2022, 07:34 PM
I'm not answering a posters question, I'm offering my opinion. That ok?

Do what you want. Plenty other posts where you've expressed that opinion. I just thought it would be nice for the poll to be left to speak for itself and maybe discuss the results when it's been up for a bit longer.

SteveHFC
16-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Based on what I've seen so far;

Clarke
Porteous
Magennis
Nisbet
Stevenson
Demetri Mitchell
Cadden

Obviously more than that will stay but that's the ones I would actively want to retain for next season.

Add Melkersen to that last and I agree.

S4uzee
16-05-2022, 07:43 PM
I can’t watch another season of Newell and JDH with Campbell chucked in, I genuinely think it would finish me

Big_Franck
16-05-2022, 07:50 PM
There's not a single player in the squad that I'd be gutted to see leave. That's how poor they've been this season. Right now I'd keep Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Melkersen, Demetri Mitchell, Nisbet and Cadden. The squad needs serious work and soon.

Tambo
16-05-2022, 07:53 PM
I can’t watch another season of Newell and JDH with Campbell chucked in, I genuinely think it would finish me

So we have these 3 and Tait and magennis for next season in central midfield. Wouldn't be surprised if it's JDH and Campbell moved on.

Don't want to be called a flip flopper but Newell could be a handy squad player, I have posted in the past how I think he don't show it as much as he should, very frustrating player was awful vs Dundee then played well vs St Johnstone.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2022, 07:55 PM

Possibly as a back up, I just haven't seen enough from him so far which is making me desperate to keep him.

I realise he's very young though and has been put into the first team before he was really ready which isn't his fault.

Hopefully he develops into a good player though, he certainly won't be going anywhere any time soon so we just need to support him and hope he comes good.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2022, 07:56 PM
So we have these 3 and Tait and magennis for next season in central midfield. Wouldn't be surprised if it's JDH and Campbell moved on.

Don't want to be called a flip flopper but Newell could be a handy squad player, I have posted in the past how I think he don't show it as much as he should, very frustrating player was awful vs Dundee then played well vs St Johnstone.

Doyle-Hayes and Campbell have both signed new contracts recently to keep them at the club for another 3 years.

I can't see them being moved on unless a club wants to buy them.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2022, 07:59 PM
Doyle-Hayes and Campbell have both signed new contracts recently to keep them at the club for another 3 years.

What was wrong with Doyle-Hayes yesterday

Tambo
16-05-2022, 07:59 PM

So has Newell, Tait is a new signing and Magennis will be hopefully coming back to full fitness so worrying times if we can't move some on.

GreenCastle
16-05-2022, 08:00 PM

It’s like Allan and Mallan couldn’t play together.

You can’t play 2 of JDH, Newell and Campbell together.

Tambo
16-05-2022, 08:00 PM

Probably still hiding from Adam 😂 In all seriousness thought the same aswell when he never made the bench either.

GreenCastle
16-05-2022, 08:02 PM
Probably still hiding from Adam 😂 In all seriousness thought the same aswell when he never made the bench either.

Someone said he was sick?

Not sure if he came onto pitch at end or was at end of season awards ?

Cod Boy
16-05-2022, 08:04 PM

He was unwell they said that at the player of year awards. He won goal of season Paul Hanlon collected the award on his behalf.

madabouthibs
16-05-2022, 08:25 PM
These three should be away as well.Hanlon is a part of the 3rd best defence in the league this season. 👍

Hermit Crab
16-05-2022, 08:27 PM
Hanlon is a part of the 3rd best defence in the league this season. 👍

He also cost us plenty goals and points this season.

JohnM1875
16-05-2022, 08:28 PM

I'm a big Hanlon fan but he's been rank since coming back from the latest injury. Makes sense though as SDG said he's been playing whilst needing surgery.

Hopefully the surgery doesn't keep him out for too long, especially if Porto is off this window.

Gaffer1875
16-05-2022, 08:49 PM
Steven Bradley could be a decent player for us next season, he’s done well on loan over in Ireland.

heretoday
16-05-2022, 08:56 PM

So let's keep the defence and bin everyone else.

Iain G
16-05-2022, 09:04 PM
It’s like Allan and Mallan couldn’t play together.

You can’t play 2 of JDH, Newell and Campbell together.

Yet JDH, Newell and Magennis were a really good midfield unit at the start of the season

MrRobot
16-05-2022, 09:14 PM
Steven Bradley could be a decent player for us next season, he’s done well on loan over in Ireland.

Looking forward to see him, Tait and MacKay. Didn’t agree with any of them being loaned out

ekhibee
16-05-2022, 09:51 PM
Obviously not every player in the squad is totally useless, and we also have to factor in money we would get for any of them to help finance a rebuild. I was looking at that transfer list to see who's worth what, but taking into account injuries, length of contract, etc. I'd hope we'd still get decent money for Doig, although he's a long way from the finished article and for me a bit overrated (but that's just my opinion). A bigger loss would probably be Porteous and we'd get something for him too, possibly Newell and Doidge, a fit Mitchell and Magennis, after that I can't see us making too much to make a huge financial difference without RG digging into his pockets again and could involve releasing a few on frees, but that's just my opinion, others will no doubt be able to supply better info and alternative opinions.

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2022, 10:09 PM
The thing is its ok to vote for some players to stay even if you think its possible to replace them with better. The poster boy for that is Lewis Stevenson, by now he should be behind Doig in the pecking order for left back and he should be nowhere near our midfield, but the truth is in the absence of Doig through injury or suspension he is still a more than capable left back and for the last few weeks he has shown he can do a very decent job in the middle of the park, which is a real credit to him given his utter lack of game time in that area ... the guy is a total credit to himself and this club.

DstN75
16-05-2022, 10:28 PM
The thing is its ok to vote for some players to stay even if you think its possible to replace them with better. The poster boy for that is Lewis Stevenson, by now he should be behind Doig in the pecking order for left back and he should be nowhere near our midfield, but the truth is in the absence of Doig through injury or suspension he is still a more than capable left back and for the last few weeks he has shown he can do a very decent job in the middle of the park, which is a real credit to him given his utter lack of game time in that area ... the guy is a total credit to himself and this club.

Totally, he just never lets you down.

Look at it this way, it's an amazing achievement to overtake Willie Ormond in appearances given where Lewis was about 100 games ago in his career. It looked like he was winding down then but he's stepped up every time he's been asked, and in about four different positions. Legend.

WeeRussell
16-05-2022, 10:34 PM

Add Jasper too and I’ll just about be signed-up as well 👍

RIP
16-05-2022, 10:37 PM
What was the last transfer window where we ditched half the squad and the new signings greatly improved the team on the park?

wookie70
16-05-2022, 10:37 PM
Surprised more want Henderson to stay than Mitchell. Hanlon really is underappreciated by our supporters. He covers Porteous all the time, plays while needing operations and doesn't end up watching from the stand as he is suspended all the time. I voted for Macey to leave too but strange how more fans want Kev to stay than Macey but that may be because of Marshall. Quite a few players on long deals that fans would like to see the back off and that is the big problem for the club to solve in the summer.

DstN75
16-05-2022, 10:41 PM
What was the last transfer window where we ditched half the squad and the new signings greatly improved the team on the park?

Yeah this. I see posts where people say "hopefully we sign six or seven completely proven quality players". I mean in what world would that ever happen?

Smartie
17-05-2022, 12:41 AM
Looking forward to see him, Tait and MacKay. Didn’t agree with any of them being loaned out

I didn’t see much in MacKay early on in the season but he’d looked decent for Inverness once or twice last season. I’d have rather he’d stayed, same with Bradley, it was odd that they went out on loan.

I’m also looking forward to these 3 coming back.

Onion
17-05-2022, 01:10 AM

2014 Stubbs rebuild

JamesHFC
17-05-2022, 01:12 AM
I can’t believe only Celtic and Rangers have conceded less than us this season. Shows how much the sale of Boyle and injuries to Nisbet, Doidge and Magennis effected us.

Brightside
17-05-2022, 07:12 AM
I’m not expecting Doig to go. He wants another season before he thinks he is ready for English football.

greenpaper55
17-05-2022, 07:15 AM
They all looked good until the season started !

Brightside
17-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Yeah this. I see posts where people say "hopefully we sign six or seven completely proven quality players". I mean in what world would that ever happen?

I think we will get 4/5 core players and the usual bunch of loan fillers.

RIP
17-05-2022, 08:00 AM
2014 Stubbs rebuild

Thanks.
In the post relegation era with Mathie, Craig, Dempster and Stubbs as Head Coach? It needed all four working together to achieve that level of quality in recruitment and not binning people when immediate results were not forthcoming

Diclonius
17-05-2022, 09:08 AM
2014 Stubbs rebuild

Yup. Start of four good windows in a row.

Since452
17-05-2022, 09:24 AM
Voted to keep 14 of the 25 listed. Quite surprised at that actually. Makes me feel less bad about where we find ourselves.

SlickShoes
17-05-2022, 09:50 AM
I definitely want to keep more than I thought I would, but some of those I would be keeping as back up and not starters.

I didn't vote for McKay or Tait either because I have never seen them play, same applies to Haugue as well, young players that I have no idea about where they fit in, probably not first team starters any time soon.

I voted to keep the whole defence because while we have been shocking and their mistakes seems catastrophic when they happen, that is due largely to the fact we can't score goals.

Can understand people not picking Mitchell as we have barely seen him play sadly. I think if he stays fit he will be very good for us.

AlbertK86
17-05-2022, 09:53 AM

SDG said in prematch interview that JDH was ill

easty
17-05-2022, 10:08 AM
I think we will get 4/5 core players and the usual bunch of loan fillers.

Yeah, that's what I think too. :agree:

I actually think 4 of 5 starters is enough, with a few squad fillers too.

theonlywayisup
17-05-2022, 10:43 AM
There's not a single player in the squad that I'd be gutted to see leave. That's how poor they've been this season. Right now I'd keep Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Melkersen, Demetri Mitchell, Nisbet and Cadden. The squad needs serious work and soon.

That's my view. I ask myself "is there a player that I would be gutted not to see at Hibs next season" and my answer is "NO". I'm sick of the players who give us flashes of good play intermixed with poor / safe play. I like Stevenson and Cadden, so they're probably the first that I would be gutted not too see. If Porto and Doig are still with us next season, I would be pleased, but feel that they need to move south to progress their career.

hibbyfraelibby
17-05-2022, 12:01 PM
That's my view. I ask myself "is there a player that I would be gutted not to see at Hibs next season" and my answer is "NO". I'm sick of the players who give us flashes of good play intermixed with poor / safe play. I like Stevenson and Cadden, so they're probably the first that I would be gutted not too see. If Porto and Doig are still with us next season, I would be pleased, but feel that they need to move south to progress their career.

We need to move Doig and Porto on to generate the cash to fund any rebuild.

In Porto's case its also because his passion, and consequent reputation, is costing us points as he sits in the stand instead of playing. We cannot afford to have a key player missing 20% of the season through suspensions

Smartie
17-05-2022, 12:14 PM
We need to move Doig and Porto on to generate the cash to fund any rebuild.

In Porto's case its also because his passion, and consequent reputation, is costing us points as he sits in the stand instead of playing. We cannot afford to have a key player missing 20% of the season through suspensions

I reckon that was the number mistake we made last summer - expecting someone to pay us decent money for someone in order to fund the signing of our main targets.

When that didn’t materialise, that’s why we ended up in the bargain bucket at the last minute.

Since then we’ve taken in decent money for Boyle and tbh the season ticket sales aren’t as bad as I was expecting.

Given we know for a fact that we’re needing to bring in a reasonable number of important players, I think it would be a risk to gamble on getting decent money for Doig and Porteous, when it appears that the rest of the world don’t rate them as highly as we do, and maybe rightly so.

WeeRussell
17-05-2022, 12:15 PM
2014 Stubbs rebuild

Essentially the last time we did it then.

allezsauzee
17-05-2022, 12:57 PM
I find it astounding that there is hardly any difference between Magennis and Henderson. Magennis is the only midfielder we have that is good enough. Presumably 1 in 4 think he's always going to be injured.

Stubbsy90+2
17-05-2022, 01:21 PM
I find it astounding that there is hardly any difference between Magennis and Henderson. Magennis is the only midfielder we have that is good enough. Presumably 1 in 4 think he's always going to be injured.

I never picked Magennis for that reason.

We paid a fee so will no doubt be a fairly high earner and his signing has been a disaster really.

Would rather we moved him on so we could spend the money on someone who will actually be able to offer something. 36 appearances in two seasons (many of them as a sub) with the majority of them being really poor. No doubting he’s a good player but if we can get someone to take him off our hands then I’d do it.

HoboHarry
18-05-2022, 01:21 AM

We paid a fee so will no doubt be a fairly high earner and his signing has been a disaster really.

Would rather we moved him on so we could spend the money on someone who will actually be able to offer something. 36 appearances in two seasons (many of them as a sub) with the majority of them being really poor. No doubting he’s a good player but if we can get someone to take him off our hands then I’d do it.

The notion that we can just "move him on" at this point is nothing short of fanciful.

Sir David Gray
18-05-2022, 07:00 AM

He still has 3 years left on his current contract, I doubt anyone will be taking him off our hands whilst he's injured.

leithsansiro
18-05-2022, 02:15 PM
So, going by the poll of who’s worth keeping and who’s not and who our likely new manager is going to be (LJ), I had a bit of a think about how that might work out…

According to press reports, Johnson either favours a 4231 or a 433, neither of which is groundbreaking.

If it’s a 433, the “favoured” players from the poll would suggest that it could be
GK Dabrowski / Marshall*
DR Clarke
DL Doig (assuming he doesn’t leave) / Stevenson
DC Hanlon
DC Porteous (assuming he doesn’t leave) / McGinn
DMC Newell (but only if Doig leaves and Stevenson isn’t in there instead)
MC Henderson / Magennis
MC Cadden
WF Mitchell
WF Melkerson
SC Nisbett

Or if it’s a 4231, the players most commonly picked in the poll would give us
GK Dabrowski / Marshall*
DR Clarke
DL Doig (assuming he doesn’t leave) / Stevenson
DC Hanlon
DC Porteous (assuming he doesn’t leave) / McGinn
MC Newell (but only if Doig leaves and Stevenson isn’t in there instead)
MC Cadden
WF Mitchell
WF Melkerson
AMC Henderson / Magennis
SC Nisbett

As a minimum, it’s probably no great surprise to anyone that we’re going to need

a good right sided centre half
a creative central midfielder with a bit of drive
a striker who can hold the ball up and link play

I'd be expecting to see guys like Tait, Bradley and Hauge knocking in and around the first team too I'd hope.

JimBHibees
18-05-2022, 03:38 PM

Personally would have kept Murphy also incredibly lacking in any sort of experience in the team

Stubbsy90+2
18-05-2022, 04:05 PM
The notion that we can just "move him on" at this point is nothing short of fanciful.

I don’t disagree with that. But I’m not going to tick him as one we should keep simply because we can’t get rid of him :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
18-05-2022, 04:05 PM
When is nisbet expected back? I’ve had it in my head he was out until Christmas but he’s just up a video of himself in the gym at east mains doing some drills with a ball?

sadtom
18-05-2022, 04:45 PM
So 10% of our support don’t want Porteous here next year?!
I suggest all of the 10% give up watching fitba…you are all utterly clueless and quite frankly I would trust any of your opinions/judgements if my life depended on it.

Ronniekirk
18-05-2022, 04:47 PM
When is nisbet expected back? I’ve had it in my head he was out until Christmas but he’s just up a video of himself in the gym at east mains doing some drills with a ball?

December was what we were told before he would be bsck match fit if everything went well
So anything before that will be a bonus

Stubbsy90+2
18-05-2022, 04:47 PM
So 10% of our support don’t want Porteous here next year?!
I suggest all of the 10% give up watching fitba…you are all utterly clueless and quite frankly I would trust any of your opinions/judgements if my life depended on it.

I don’t want him here. I’d rather take the money that we’d get for him as this will be our last chance and use it to improve the squad.

He’s perma-banned and when he plays he is often good, but not good enough to deal with him missing 10 games a season through suspension.

Selling him for a decent fee (in relation to his contract) would be the best thing for Hibs.

sadtom
18-05-2022, 04:51 PM
I don’t want him here. I’d rather take the money that we’d get for him as this will be our last chance and use it to improve the squad.

He’s perma-banned and when he plays he is often good, but not good enough to deal with him missing 10 games a season through suspension.

Selling him for a decent fee (in relation to his contract) would be the best thing for Hibs.

So you want to improve the team by losing easily our biggest asset and best player by a considerable distance…brilliant. You’re a genius.
p.s. RP has 40 appearances this season! Aye “perma-banned” right enough.

Jones28
20-05-2022, 10:38 AM
I think we will probably lose Doig and Porteous to England, albeit at reduced fee's compared to what they would have gone for last season.

The out-of-contracts will be away, but I'd offer Wright another year. He's got the air of a player who'd go to somewhere like Livi and we'd be crying out for him following good performances against us.

I'd go out of my way to keep Cadden and Nisbet.

Unsure about Doidge, I'd love to see him get back to pre-injury levels.

Lots of other long term contracts there, though I'd lose no sleep if any of our midfield three were to leave.