PDA

View Full Version : Best Defense Outside The Old Firm.....

California-Hibs
14-05-2022, 01:19 PM
Here's a mental stat....

Go look at the league table and see who has conceded the least goals outside Celtic and Rangers. Actually couldn't believe it and didn't realize 🙈😂

Just shows you how poor the league has been this season because we all know our defense needs MAJOR improvement. All the plaudits Hearts have recieved yet their defense has been leakier than ours 🤯 That being said, I'm sure we'd all agree middle to front is definitely the first priority.

Since452
14-05-2022, 01:32 PM
That is quite bizarre. Seemed like we lost a goal every time a cross came in earlier this season. The league has been chronic this season outside the top two.

C77
14-05-2022, 01:35 PM
Here's a mental stat....

Go look at the league table and see who has conceded the least goals outside Celtic and Rangers. Actually couldn't believe it and didn't realize 🙈😂

Just shows you how poor the league has been this season because we all know our defense needs MAJOR improvement. All the plaudits Hearts have recieved yet their defense has been leakier than ours 🤯 That being said, I'm sure we'd all agree middle to front is definitely the first priority.

Aye because we're in the bottom half of the league...

Smartie
14-05-2022, 01:35 PM
I guess this is the silver lining in the cloud that is getting pissed off at watching 1 and 2 forwards taking on an entire defensive unit with no help from the midfield.

hibbydog
14-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Here's a mental stat....

Without being a tw@t about it, can you explain why we need major improvements to our defence if we have the best defence outside the old firm?

ancient hibee
14-05-2022, 01:37 PM
Craig Gordon has saved Hearts from many a defeat this season. Their defence is hopeless.

heretoday
14-05-2022, 01:38 PM
The problems lie at the top end of the pitch.

Inconsequential
14-05-2022, 01:38 PM
That's why the club have signed a new goalie! Can't have stats like that it's not the Hibs way. It's a funny old game......:agree:

The Modfather
14-05-2022, 01:47 PM
Here's a mental stat....

To be fair more often than not we’ve lined up with a back 3, two wingbacks who are good athletes but primarily defenders, and then JDH & Newell in midfield. That’s 7 defensive outfield players. Add in the third man being Campbell or Wright and it’s up to 8 of the 10 outfield players who aren’t attacking players or offer no threat.

Alongside our lack of quality there’s a direct correlation as to how toothless we are but solid in the main defensively IMO.

CMac1988
14-05-2022, 01:48 PM
When your midfield dares venture in to the opposition box you'd hope they were doing something at the other end of the park. It's why many posters on here are happy with a couple of our midfielders. They generally defend well enough. They just can't all be defending all of the time and doing nothing up top. A few changes in midfield and a proven striker in January would've helped us finish on the top half.

The Spaceman
14-05-2022, 01:53 PM
We basically played 7 at the back though. We have had a minging combination of two of JDH/Josh Campbell/Newell sitting in front of a back 3 and hardly venturing forward plus wing backs who didn’t get as far as we needed. Had we been any worse defensively we’d have been relegated!

where'stheslope
14-05-2022, 02:42 PM
Its all about attack, only 3 Premiership sides have plus figures, the rest are minus!!!
What's needed is an attack minded manager who can put together a strong defence!
Keeping the goals down only works if you score at the other end.

Spike Mandela
14-05-2022, 05:51 PM
We are nowhere near as bad as people make out.

A promising season ruined by the sale of Boyle, injuries to Doidge and Nisbet , an off the boil Nisbet, injury to free scoring MacGennis and poor forward relacements in Mueller and Scott.

Replenish our attacking options. New signings with some pace up front, players returning from injury and an experienced manager has a fighting chance.

I am quietly confident the basis of a decent team is there.

Eyrie
14-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Its all about attack, only 3 Premiership sides have plus figures, the rest are minus!!!
What's needed is an attack minded manager who can put together a strong defence!
Keeping the goals down only works if you score at the other end.

To be fair, the goal difference column for most teams is skewed by the Ugly Sisters being +70 and +49.

There are four teams with a negative goal difference in single figures and oddly three of those are in the bottom six, including us at -8.

GreenCastle
14-05-2022, 06:22 PM
Here's a mental stat....

Before the split ?

greenlex
14-05-2022, 06:43 PM
The problems lie at the top end of the pitch.

This

HoboHarry
14-05-2022, 07:13 PM

A promising season ruined by the sale of Boyle, injuries to Doidge and Nisbet , an off the boil Nisbet, injury to free scoring MacGennis and poor forward relacements in Mueller and Scott.

Replenish our attacking options. New signings with some pace up front, players returning from injury and an experienced manager has a fighting chance.

Agree with all of that 👍👍

green day
14-05-2022, 07:22 PM
Am I the only person triggered by the use of the word "defense" instead of "defence"?

HoboHarry
14-05-2022, 07:38 PM
Am I the only person triggered by the use of the word "defense" instead of "defence"?

Been living here so long there's times I forget British spelling from US spelling 😆

Waxy
14-05-2022, 08:07 PM

Yes defense doesnt sit right.

Smartie
14-05-2022, 09:25 PM

I can accept it written down but I don’t think I’d accept hearing it spoken out loud, as in the way it gets chanted at basketball games.

Sir David Gray
14-05-2022, 10:50 PM
Before the split ?

We had the 4th equal best defensive record before the split behind Celtic, Rangers and Hearts and level with Dundee Utd.

overdrive
15-05-2022, 09:50 AM
This deserves to be on the Facts that Seem Untrue thread.

Keith_M
15-05-2022, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we also had the highest number of 0-0 draws in the league.

SChibs
15-05-2022, 10:19 AM
I think this goes to show despite this being a crap season we maybe don't need a complete overhaul. Some more attacking options, good coaching and solid game plans could see us have a far better campaign next season.

Is It On....
15-05-2022, 11:18 AM

100% agree with you. We lost our attacking threat with the loss of Magennis and Boyle. In addition, we really need to hope that Doidge comes back to full match fitness after the Achilles injury.

Keith_M
15-05-2022, 02:56 PM
100% agree with you. We lost our attacking threat with the loss of Magennis and Boyle. In addition, we really need to hope that Doidge comes back to full match fitness after the Achilles injury.

Looks like we've finally got our attacking threat back

:greengrin