PDA

View Full Version : It’s probably going to get worse before it gets better

HendoDelivered
11-05-2022, 07:13 AM
As the title says. Thoughts?

Scorrie
11-05-2022, 07:15 AM
If so, we’ll be relegation candidates next season. Really hope the shower running our club can turn this round but I fear that they can’t. Hope you and I are very wrong though

Willis1875
11-05-2022, 07:16 AM
There isn’t really much between the teams in the league.
The right signings this summer could see us back up into the lofty heights of 4th….getting those right signings is another matter though

Onceinawhile
11-05-2022, 07:26 AM
If so, we’ll be relegation candidates next season. Really hope the shower running our club can turn this round but I fear that they can’t. Hope you and I are very wrong though

Candidates? We'll be straight down by a distance.

Stubbsy90+2
11-05-2022, 07:27 AM
If it gets worse then we’re going down. We’ve been one of the worst teams in the league for near enough the full season. A decent wee run at the start is the only reason we’re not going down.

My concern is the midfield. Seeing that we’ve got about 8 or 9 contracted for next season and I don’t think any of them should be starters and the majority of them shouldn’t be here at all then that is a massive concern for me.

Smartie
11-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Since October we've been the 11th best team in the Premier League.

We can't afford for it to get any worse before it gets better.

Scorrie
11-05-2022, 07:34 AM
Candidates? We'll be straight down by a distance.

I was trying to be positive!

allezsauzee
11-05-2022, 07:36 AM
I really hope not. The squad we have at the moment (post Boyle) would struggle to stay in this division. Nesbitt, Doidge, Porto, Clarke, Doig , Cadden and Magennis (If he is ever fit again) would probably be about the only players I'd keep as first choice players in addition to Marshall coming in. We really need the recruitment to be right this summer. Experienced and competent manager along with a strong spine in the team.

Sir David Gray
11-05-2022, 07:36 AM
If it gets any worse, in fact I'd argue even if it stays the same, then we're going down next season.

Over the last 7 months we are 1 point off the bottom of the league. We absolutely must see rapid improvement or we're in serious trouble.

hibee1875
11-05-2022, 07:38 AM
I really hope not. The squad we have at the moment (post Boyle) would struggle to stay in this division. Nesbitt, Doidge, Porto, Clarke, Doig , Cadden and Magennis (If he is ever fit again) would probably be about the only players I'd keep as first choice players in addition to Marshall coming in. We really need the recruitment to be right this summer. Experienced and competent manager along with a strong spine in the team.

Where even is Doidge?

We’ve been riddled with mystery long lasting injuries this season.

ThisIsTheYear
11-05-2022, 07:39 AM
Can’t get any worse!! At least the seasons almost over and can’t get relegated!! Onwards and upwards… confident we will eventually get it right on manager front and signings like Marshall will get the fans onside

Springbank
11-05-2022, 07:40 AM
The engine room is crucial.
I mentioned a few times during the January transfer window I thought that, without mcgennis, we have had the 11th best midfield in the league
Last night we were overrun & beaten by the 12th best, so we are already needing to ship out the guys contracted to 2025.

They proved it again last night - they are punching above their weight getting a jersey in this league & should by rights be English league 2 / Scottish championship level

BoomtownHibees
11-05-2022, 07:44 AM
I mentioned a few times during the January transfer window I thought that, without mcgennis, we have had the 11th best midfield in the league
Last night we were overrun & beaten by the 12th best, so we are already needing to ship out the guys contracted to 2025.

They proved it again last night - they are punching above their weight getting a jersey in this league & should by rights be English league 2 / Scottish championship level

Somebody will be along shortly to tell you that there are good players in there.

For me the midfield is by far our biggest issue. I wouldn’t keep any of Newell, JDH or Campbell however the problem is that all 3 have recently been rewarded for their performance with new contracts. Whoever sanctioned those should also be getting their jotters

I'm_cabbaged
11-05-2022, 07:49 AM
Where even is Doidge?

We’ve been riddled with mystery long lasting injuries this season.

He was never fit when he came back; long Covid maybe? 🤷

hibsbollah
11-05-2022, 08:06 AM
I think we have seen glimpses from Henderson, Newell is here for the long haul, those two you can work with, assuming Magennis Scott Allan have long term problems, that means 3 new quality signings for midfield. Deep pockets required.

SlickShoes
11-05-2022, 08:08 AM
We are in that phase right now, we don't have a manager, the players are not motivated, there is nothing to play for, the fans are raging. It has to get better from the end of the season onwards otherwise we will be relegated next season.

I HOPE this is the lowest point, this week of suffering, then we can move forward with this season firmly in the bin.

Carheenlea
11-05-2022, 08:22 AM
Without major surgery, the squad as it stands is proper relegation material.

Given we have some ability for financial manoeuvring more so than fellow strugglers (along with Aberdeen), we should be able to organise a side capable of competing outwith the relegation places, providing the right man is appointed. May mean some restructuring behind the scenes as well, and some of our cash reserves might have to take a hit to do so, but this is very much an emergency situation. Thankfully we have time on out side as well.

Jones28
11-05-2022, 08:24 AM
I'm optimistic that this is the "worse" part. We have a summer to re build, and look like we're on the cusp of bringing in a new manager so I'm by no means writing off next season.

easty
11-05-2022, 08:36 AM
I cannae see it getting worse. We’re on a horrendous run already. 2 wins in 17 league games. Pumped off of the worst team in the league. It’s not going to be worse than that.

Carheenlea
11-05-2022, 08:41 AM
I cannae see it getting worse. We’re on a horrendous run already. 2 wins in 17 league games. Pumped off of the worst team in the league. It’s not going to be worse than that.

Up against a side last night who’s manager pretty much wrote off any chance of survival despite still being mathematically possible after game at weekend past.

Never underestimate how low Hibs can take you. That last night is up there with one of the worst results in many years all things considered.

GreenCastle
11-05-2022, 08:44 AM

Are we going to win Sunday???!

Could we 2 in 18.

Anyway I was thinking when’s this going to hit rock bottom…

The last 5 months especially have been terrible football for the majority of it.

Can’t remember (maybe Boyle hatrick) the last full game we played well.

We are lucky we aren’t in playoffs as feel Arbroath or ICT would beat us currently.

MrSmith
11-05-2022, 08:44 AM

100% this! :top marks I have been shouting from the rooftops about needing commanding midfielders or even midfielders who are better than those of the other 9 teams. It's been so clear that we need midfielders but our footballing dept. seem to know better! I have absolutely no confidence in this team! I do have confidence in Doig, Porto, Stevenson, Hanlon and Clarke providing they get better players around them. Too many in our team are coasting!

Steve20
11-05-2022, 08:45 AM
There's absolutely no need for it to get worse, IF the people running the club start doing it properly.
Get the right manager and a proper transfer window (unlike the last few that have been garbage, despite Ron thinking the appalling January one was decent) and there's no reason why we can't be challenging for third and get round to winning a cup.

But the right decisions have to be made from the people at the top.

hibsbollah
11-05-2022, 09:55 AM
It's also worth remembering that one rule of football that's indisputable is things change way faster than you expect. I'd never felt so low about Hibs in March (?) 2016 when Ross County had just scored a last minute winner to beat us in yet another Hampden final. A few weeks later it's Sir David Gray day and everything is wonderful.

WhileTheChief..
11-05-2022, 09:58 AM
I'm optimistic that this is the "worse" part. We have a summer to re build, and look like we're on the cusp of bringing in a new manager so I'm by no means writing off next season.

Agreed.

I'm now feeling strangely optimistic about things on the basis that this is as bad as it can get.

RG has said repeatedly where he wants us to be as a club, so now he's got to do something to deliver it.

I'm back to believing that he will appoint someone that the majority of us will go "wow, didn't see that coming, nice one Hibs!"!

Jones28
11-05-2022, 10:01 AM
Agreed.

I'm now feeling strangely optimistic about things on the basis that this is as bad as it can get.

RG has said repeatedly where he wants us to be as a club, so now he's got to do something to deliver it.

I'm back to believing that he will appoint someone that the majority of us will go "wow, didn't see that coming, nice one Hibs!"!

I'm even more optimistic now, because WTC an I agree on something. :greengrin

McGruber
11-05-2022, 10:09 AM
Nobody can tell. Solely depends on how recruitment goes between now and next season both new manager/coaches/players.

That and hopefully better luck with injuries

IberianHibernian
11-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Depressing thread but at the same time realistic . There`s little between 4th and 10th so only a small improvement and we`ll be challenging for 4th at least . Unlikely to do so well in cups . Surely won`t have as many bad injuries next season . We seemed to have at least 4 or 5 key players out every week .

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2022, 10:11 AM
No reason it should get worse unless the new manager is rubbish. A good manager will get results

Victor
11-05-2022, 10:13 AM
We have a team with defenders, who cannot defend, strikers who cannot score and a mid-field who, well, don’t do very much. I am hoping that the malaise is due to the position we are in i.e. a manager less team playing meaningless end of season games, but fear it could be something worse and that the present squad will be unable to compete effectively in the forthcoming season. A total clear-out is unrealistic, but brutal surgery is required to cut out the wasteful elements in the team. Unless a new manager can re-motivate and revitalise what we have, we are going to have to fund a completely new team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smartie
11-05-2022, 11:04 AM
We have a team with defenders, who cannot defend, strikers who cannot score and a mid-field who, well, don’t do very much. I am hoping that the malaise is due to the position we are in i.e. a manager less team playing meaningless end of season games, but fear it could be something worse and that the present squad will be unable to compete effectively in the forthcoming season. A total clear-out is unrealistic, but brutal surgery is required to cut out the wasteful elements in the team. Unless a new manager can re-motivate and revitalise what we have, we are going to have to fund a completely new team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is a problem that every department of the team currently looks substandard and in need of drastic reinforcement.

Couple that with the situation that the players most likely to leave are the ones we’d most want to hold onto and we’ve got a huge summer ahead.

Northernhibee
11-05-2022, 11:07 AM
This has all the feelings of the pre Dempster era under Petrie. What felt like a club full of yes men with a glaring lack of enough footballing people in decision making positions, awful recruitment, a feeling of Groundhog Day, a half empty ER, awful football, awful results - but turbocharged.

I have no idea how we’ve gone from third in the league to this in less than twelve months. It’s bizarre.

theonlywayisup
11-05-2022, 11:44 AM
Including only the last ten league matches, we're bottom of the league after last nights defeat by Dundee, albeit that we've only lost four of those ten games.

Cinch Premiership | Form Guide | Last 10 Matches | Football Web Pages (https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-premiership/form-guide/ten)

Sir David Gray
11-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Including only the last ten league matches, we're bottom of the league after last nights defeat by Dundee, albeit that we've only lost four of those ten games.

Cinch Premiership | Form Guide | Last 10 Matches | Football Web Pages (https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-premiership/form-guide/ten)

Even more concerning is that this form actually goes back a lot further than 10 games.

Over the last 30 games (i.e. going back over 7 months to the start of October) we are just one point off the bottom of the league.

27 points picked up from our last 30 league games

Dundee and St Johnstone both have 26 points from their last 30 league games.

We have also scored just 21 goals in our last 30 league games.

HoboHarry
11-05-2022, 11:59 AM
Seriously thinking about going back to Scotland and starting up a business on Albion Road selling colostomy bags and rubber bed sheets, be rich in double quick time. F*** sake this place just sucks the life out of you with it's negativity.

Coco Bryce
11-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Seriously thinking about going back to Scotland and starting up a business on Albion Road selling colostomy bags and rubber bed sheets, be rich in double quick time. F*** sake this place just sucks the life out of you with it's negativity.

Wont last a week mate. There's nobody there :greengrin

theonlywayisup
11-05-2022, 12:05 PM

Being a "pint half full" type of person, I can honestly think of nothing that gives me any positive vibes about Hibs at the moment. Being 4,500 miles away from Easter Road sounds like a good option, albeit I would miss watching the Hibees. Theonlywayisup!

loanheadhibby
11-05-2022, 12:28 PM
As the title says. Thoughts?

Geez is that possible?

loanheadhibby
11-05-2022, 12:31 PM
He was never fit when he came back; long Covid maybe? 🤷
Why was he brought back then?
Maybe he's just hopeless. Like Newell people stick up for him on here but I don't know why.

Northernhibee
11-05-2022, 12:33 PM
Why was he brought back then?
Maybe he's just hopeless. Like Newell people stick up for him on here but I don't know why.

He scores goals. We know that, plus he holds the ball up well and defends well too. He makes multiple players better by his presence on the pitch.

Rumour has it that he’s been told he can find a new club and that’s shambolic if true, he’s a very good player.

donno
11-05-2022, 12:36 PM
I know there's a few million in cash reserves sitting in a bank somewhere, that some have suggested we delve into to rebuild the squad over the summer window.
I'm worried about how much of that is actually left.
In the last 6 months, 2 managers, and backroom staff, all on long contracts will have had to be paid off.
If the slow season ticket sale rumours are correct, then Ron will have to budget some of the reserve cash, to make up for that.
Add in the contract extensions for bit part players, no doubt on increased terms, and the cupboard is looking pretty bare!
Worried[emoji848]

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
11-05-2022, 03:43 PM
It all depends on choosing the right manager and backing him/supporting him accordingly. A big summer ahead; if the board get it wrong this time, we'll be in big trouble.

WhileTheChief..
11-05-2022, 05:22 PM
Even more concerning is that this form actually goes back a lot further than 10 games.

Over the last 30 games (i.e. going back over 7 months to the start of October) we are just one point off the bottom of the league.

Didn't realise things were so bad. These are grim stats.

Jones28
11-05-2022, 05:25 PM

I’m a happy clapper too, but I’m over that and I’m ready to stick the knife in until the club change my mind.

Smartie
11-05-2022, 05:33 PM
I’m a happy clapper too, but I’m over that and I’m ready to stick the knife in until the club change my mind.

Me too, but when they’re as pish as they are it needs called out.

Sir David Gray
11-05-2022, 05:35 PM
Didn't realise things were so bad. These are grim stats.

:agree: We took 15 points from our first 7 games which, over the course of a full season, would give us 81 points and is almost title winning form to then taking just 27 points from our last 30 matches which, over the course of a full season, would give us 34 points and could have seen us end up in the play offs with a defeat on Sunday.

For some context we got 35 points in 13/14 when we finished 11th and went down via the play offs.

Smartie
11-05-2022, 05:36 PM

It’s not unlike the Duffy season. Promising start and a chance to go top with a result against Rangers followed by an almighty slide.

That season we rallied towards the end under McLeish but this time we seem to be carrying the abject form on.

It’s been sustained drivel for a very long time and we’re in deep trouble if it doesn’t improve.

loanheadhibby
11-05-2022, 06:00 PM
He scores goals. We know that, plus he holds the ball up well and defends well too. He makes multiple players better by his presence on the pitch.

Rumour has it that he’s been told he can find a new club and that’s shambolic if true, he’s a very good player.
Scores goals, holds the ball up and defends well.
Keep believing that and in your fantasy world it may even come true.
He will be no loss and that's why he's probably been told to find another club.

One Day Soon
11-05-2022, 06:09 PM
If the new manager has some star or achievement quality about him then it may help season ticket sales. That is highly unlikely though so our our season ticket sales are going to depend on signings. That means Ron Gordon opening the wallet substantially. If that doesn't happen then we will be facing low sales, limited budget for new players and poor crowds and poor atmosphere at the start of next season.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the kind of club and team we are going to be for at least the next three or four years depends on Ron Gordon being prepared, one way or another, to speculate to accumulate in the next two months. If Ron thinks we can climb out of the current mediocrity on the cheap or just on the back of fans 'ponying up' then he is in for an even ruder awakening than the one he's currently having.

Alfred E Newman
11-05-2022, 09:20 PM

You surely can’t be surprised by the negativity but by all means list some positives.

Basildon Hibs
11-05-2022, 10:38 PM
100% this! :top marks I have been shouting from the rooftops about needing commanding midfielders or even midfielders who are better than those of the other 9 teams. It's been so clear that we need midfielders but our footballing dept. seem to know better! I have absolutely no confidence in this team! I do have confidence in Doig, Porto, Stevenson, Hanlon and Clarke providing they get better players around them. Too many in our team are coasting!

I've said for years that we are soft as ***** in midfield.

Why can't the numerous managers see this?

heretoday
12-05-2022, 04:55 AM
New faces required in all areas.