PDA

View Full Version : Relegation next season

john rossi
10-05-2022, 09:50 PM
I really feel the club is on a downward spiral, and can see us being relegated next season we are the worst team in the premier leauge after losing to bottom club Dundee tonight. Our owner has a lot to answer for and is out of his depth in running a football club. Unless we get a change of ownership which he must consider we could finish up like Dunfermline a big club in the lower leagues. I thought the Farmer/Petrie era was bad think again this American dud and his son are taking us into the abyss.

Paul1642
10-05-2022, 09:56 PM
Nonsense. We will have a new manager who will be backed.

flash
10-05-2022, 10:03 PM
I really feel the club is on a downward spiral, and can see us being relegated next season we are the worst team in the premier leauge after losing to bottom club Dundee tonight. Our owner has a lot to answer for and is out of his depth in running a football club. Unless we get a change of ownership which he must consider we could finish up like Dunfermline a big club in the lower leagues. I thought the Farmer/Petrie era was bad think again this American dud and his son are taking us into the abyss.
Get tae yer bed.

Diclonius
10-05-2022, 10:05 PM
Calm yourselves.

Willis1875
10-05-2022, 10:06 PM
I remember my first beer too

Jim44
10-05-2022, 10:06 PM
Nonsense. We will have a new manager who will be backed.

It’s not nonsense but a distinct possibility. Maloney was a new manager and got a fair bit of backing compared to the lack of support JR got in the latter part of his tenure. The key issue is getting the right manager but also hiring the right people to help him.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2022, 10:07 PM
Relegation next season is absolutely not a nonsense suggestion.

We are really dreadful and it's hard to see how it changes as much as it needs to by next season.

Kilmarnock will be a stronger side than Dundee have been this season and over the last 80% of the season we are just one point better off than both Dundee and St Johnstone.

21 goals scored in those 30 games is also utterly terrifying.

This season reminds me of the couple of seasons leading up to our relegation in 2014 and right now I would put us as real candidates for playing Championship football in 2023/24.

SMAXXA
10-05-2022, 10:08 PM

Absolutely ridiculous and I suggest we will be relegated we don’t even have a manager and a new squad let’s make that judgment half way through the season 🙈

Willis1875
10-05-2022, 10:09 PM

We are really dreadful and it's hard to see how it changes as much as it needs to by next season.

Kilmarnock will be a stronger side than Dundee have been this season and over the last 80% of the season we are just one point better off than both Dundee and St Johnstone.

This season reminds me of the couple of seasons leading up to our relegation in 2014 and right now I would put us as real candidates for playing Championship football in 2023/24.

It’s a tight league at the best of times,recruit well enough and could find ourselves as quickly back up the table as we found ourselves down the bottom

Unseen work
10-05-2022, 10:10 PM
Let’s wait and see who our manager is and what players we sign in the next 2 windows before we start thinking about being relegated in a years time.

We were 3rd last year, in this league it’s pretty easy to jump up a couple of places with some signings.

We’re awful, but so is everyone else in the league with the exception of the top 3 at the moment.

The board will spend big this summer to get us back up there.

JamesHFC
After watching St Johnstone go from double winners to the season they are having now, it can never be ruled out.

They lost key players in the summer though and we really can’t get any worse than what he have got just now, we should and will 🤞🏻 improve.

A decent pre season under the new manager with decent recruitment and we will be top six next season.

Think I'll wait until the new manager is in, how the team is after the transfer window and what sort of start we get off to before contemplating where in the league we're likely to end up.

Smartie
10-05-2022, 10:12 PM
It’s not a nonsense suggestion but I’d like to think we’ll be ok.

We need at least 4 or 5 very good players to come in though. Starters, who will need to be our best players.

If we were to lose the likes of Porto and Doig then we’ll need more.

And if we make anything like a similar mess of this window to the way we’ve messed up some of them lately then relegation is a distinct possibility.

Our form and results since September have been excruciating.

MikeyS
10-05-2022, 10:12 PM

It is a nonsense, we will be a vastly different team next season when you consider we are looking at Macey, McGregor, Rocky, Allan, Henderson, Jasper and Scott all moving on and you could probably add Doidge, Porto and Doig to that list too..

Far too easy to say we will get relegated when you are basing it on current players.

Some bloody job assembling a new squad and getting them tonhit the ground running but we have to hope.

cabbageandribs1875
10-05-2022, 10:18 PM
It is a nonsense, we will be a vastly different team next season when you consider we are looking at Macey, McGregor, Rocky, Allan, Henderson, Jasper and Scott all moving on and you could probably add Doidge, Porto and Doig to that list too..

Far too easy to say we will get relegated when you are basing it on current players.

Some bloody job assembling a new squad and getting them tonhit the ground running but we have to hope.

he's not going anywhere

MikeyS
10-05-2022, 10:19 PM
he's not going anywhere

Oh well, that's a shame. Still a very large list of players disappearing thankfully.

Carheenlea
10-05-2022, 10:22 PM
Can we trust Gordon/Kensell to make the right appointment and steer the club on a course away from the threat of relegation?

The squad as it stands is championship level and it’s going to be a challenging job to overhaul the squad be that by offering free transfers/paying off players etc and a major rebuild to follow.

We can’t afford to get this wrong.

GreenCastle
10-05-2022, 10:23 PM
It’s not a nonsense suggestion but I’d like to think we’ll be ok.

We need at least 4 or 5 very good players to come in though. Starters, who will need to be our best players.

If we were to lose the likes of Porto and Doig then we’ll need more.

And if we make anything like a similar mess of this window to the way we’ve messed up some of them lately then relegation is a distinct possibility.

Our form and results since September have been excruciating.

Agreed.

We need starting players who key players.

Not bench fillers or B team projects.

If we fail to do this then we only have ourselves to blame. I think Doig or Porto will leave though so need to sort that too.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2022, 10:24 PM

No offence but you've started your post by saying the idea of relegation is a nonsense to ending it by saying that we have to hope.

That's not the most resounding case for us not being relegated that I've ever heard.

McGregor, Allan and Doidge haven't really played in a long time so can't really be considered to be part of this current mess and Henderson is also on a 3 year deal so he's going nowhere.

Whilst we have a midfield of Newell, Campbell, Doyle Hayes and Henderson we're not going to see much improvement at all.

mixumatosis
10-05-2022, 10:25 PM

Honestly, i think you'll be alright next season. You probably won't manage third again as Craig Gordon relies on his walking stick more and more, but i think you're being a bit melodramatic if you think Hearts will be relegated. Your "owner" is definitely out her depth though, i agree, but i'm a bit confused because i thought you were "fan owned" ?

JamesHFC
10-05-2022, 10:44 PM
Marshall is a good addition already.

Billy McKirdy
10-05-2022, 11:10 PM
As much as it pains me to say, we are probably in a worse state than we were the season Butcher took us down, this season can only get worse with them winning the cup 10 years after that humiliation.

We have not suddenly become a bad team, the decline has been steady and a torture as this season has limped along.

Ron, put your hands in your pocket and show is all the size of your ambition for our club, you say you get us, prove it, listen to the fanbase who have supported this club all our lives and will continue that loyalty long after you’ve left us, invest in an experienced and ambitious manager and back them with the funds they need to challenge the old firm, that’s should be the level of our ambition.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2022, 11:13 PM
As much as it pains me to say, we are probably in a worse state than we were the season Butcher took us down, this season can only get worse with them winning the cup 10 years after that humiliation.

We have not suddenly become a bad team, the decline has been steady and a torture as this season has limped along.

Ron, put your hands in your pocket and show is all the size of your ambition for our club, you say you get us, prove it, listen to the fanbase who have supported this club all our lives and will continue that loyalty long after you’ve left us, invest in an experienced and ambitious manager and back them with the funds they need to challenge the old firm, that’s should be the level of our ambition.

Challenging Ross County and Motherwell would be a start.

Sadly challenging Celtic and Rangers is a pipe dream for any other Scottish club any time soon but we should be aiming for 3rd place every single year.

The fact that we might end this season in 10th place is an absolute disgrace.

Smartie
10-05-2022, 11:14 PM

The best thing about the Butcher situation was that there was an opportunity to clear out a bit of deadwood. And players coming in we’re going to be blooded at a lower level.

You also had the knowledge that LD was coming in and that other things were likely to change as a result.

I’m concerned about a new manager having to get a tune out of so many of these players, and for them to have to try to pick up points against SPFL teams.

What a mess.

CB Hibs 68
10-05-2022, 11:18 PM

Little chance of what you are asking for happening.Ron is not about putting his hands in his pocket.He wants Hibs to generate its own income and rely on a player sale or two a season to keep our heads above water financially.We really have screwed up spectacularly this season with Europe even for finishing fifth a possibility.

Mrimbetween
10-05-2022, 11:19 PM
No way will Hibs go down next season

It might be not the best but certainly work in progress

New Manager/Signings

Look if Livi can stay up FFS

Its been a shan season but im sure things will improve fast and than f uck to

Hibernia&Alba
10-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Tonight's team could get us relegated next season, but that won't be the team that starts 2022-23. Our form is relegation form, which is why we don't have a manager. The crux of the matter is the board must appoint a good manager; one who can make big changes to the squad and will be backed accordingly. Our current state must be a wake up call that we have big problems that need addressing. If the board are unable to fix that, we will be in big trouble. It's a huge summer ahead.

Baader
10-05-2022, 11:46 PM
Hell of a job to do for whoever comes in that's for sure.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2022, 11:51 PM
Tonight's team could get us relegated next season, but that won't be the team that starts 2022-23. Our form is relegation form, which is why we don't have a manager. The crux of the matter is the board must appoint a good manager; one who can make big changes to the squad and will be backed accordingly. Our current state must be a wake up call that we have big problems that need addressing. If the board are unable to fix that, we will be in big trouble. It's a huge summer ahead.

I think a large bulk of that team most probably will start next season though.

McGinn, Jasper, Scott and Bushiri are the only ones who played last night who are not currently contracted to the club for next season.

The likes of Campbell, Newell, Doyle Hayes and Henderson won't be going anywhere and considering they are all on long term contracts I don't see them being out of the team much either.

We have two senior strikers, both of whom are injured, one for another 6 months and another with an unknown issue.

Our third striker is clearly not ready to play every week in the first team.

Cadden and Magennis would improve us but whilst the former will hopefully be back for the new season, the latter has major fitness issues and no-one really knows what's going on there.

The managerial appointment must be spot on and I think a frw structural changes are needed too. Unless those are implemented over the next couple of months I really fear for us next season.

Haymaker
11-05-2022, 03:27 AM

This. :agree:

Don't want to agree with it but :agree:

Pretty Boy
11-05-2022, 05:13 AM
One of the things that often typifies a bigger team going down is a period of decline and then a warning season preceding the relegation.

Looking at it objectively we shouldn't go down. We will likely have the 5th biggest budget in the league next season but football doesn't always work like that though, we need to iron out a myriad of problems to be absolutely sure we'll not only be fine in regards to relegation abut also ready to push up the league.

The reality is we are probably starting from one of the least stable bases. Poor squad, no manager and a football operation that lacks cohesion and isn't working. I don't think we will be relegated next season but it's not outwith the realms of possibility.

Stokesy's on fire
11-05-2022, 05:26 AM
No way will Hibs go down next season

It might be not the best but certainly work in progress

New Manager/Signings

Look if Livi can stay up FFS

Its been a shan season but im sure things will improve fast and than f uck to

Livi are better than us....

Since452
11-05-2022, 05:28 AM
A horrific squad under long contracts, a transfer committee with a history of very poor windows, a new manager from the English lower leagues and an owner who doesn't accept poor runs. What could go wrong?

Libby Hibby
11-05-2022, 05:30 AM
Distinct possibility that relegation is on the cards for next season.

Every bit of good that Leeann Dempster built at this club has gone. We are a mess.

Hibs90
11-05-2022, 05:33 AM
With that midfield it’s a possibility I’m afraid. New contracts though

Stubbsy90+2
11-05-2022, 05:51 AM
With that midfield it’s a possibility I’m afraid. New contracts though

JDH - not good enough
Newell - sub
Campbell - a million miles from good enough
Tait - couldn’t get a game for Killie so presumably not at our level yet
Magennis - perma injured
Henderson - not good enough
Hauge - never gets a game so presumably not good enough yet
Mitchell - not too bad but certainly not going to single handedly make us a good side
Mackay - See Tait
Bradley - promising

That’s next seasons contracted midfielders. That is terrifying.

Haymaker
13-05-2022, 12:55 AM
If we go sign Griffiths this summer we should be fine.

McGruber
13-05-2022, 02:26 AM
Thought this thread was irrelevant, we would appoint a good manager and push on. If we make Lee Johnson our manager though then relegation is a definite possibility.

Haymaker
13-05-2022, 02:56 AM
Thought this thread was irrelevant, we would appoint a good manager and push on. If we make Lee Johnson our manager though then relegation is a definite possibility.

It's a certainty without Griffiths

Vexhim Hibee
13-05-2022, 05:17 AM
I have seriously considered not renewing my season ticket but I probably will based on the assumption that things can only get better.

McGruber
13-05-2022, 05:44 AM
It's a certainty without Griffiths

Very true

truehibernian
13-05-2022, 06:12 AM
JDH - not good enough
Newell - sub
Campbell - a million miles from good enough
Tait - couldn’t get a game for Killie so presumably not at our level yet
Magennis - perma injured
Henderson - not good enough
Hauge - never gets a game so presumably not good enough yet
Mitchell - not too bad but certainly not going to single handedly make us a good side
Mackay - See Tait
Bradley - promising

That’s next seasons contracted midfielders. That is terrifying.

Contrast with 5 years ago (2017/18)…..

Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Allan
Slivka
F Murray
Barker
Swanson
Whittaker (occasionally)

That for me highlights the failed recruitment and unforgivable regression in the midfield area.

Since452
13-05-2022, 11:05 AM
Contrast with 5 years ago (2017/18)…..

Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Allan
Slivka
F Murray
Barker
Swanson
Whittaker (occasionally)

That for me highlights the failed recruitment and unforgivable regression in the midfield area.

Slivka and Swanson would walk in to our team just now. Says it all.

One Day Soon
13-05-2022, 11:33 AM
I remember my first beer too

One Day Soon
13-05-2022, 11:34 AM
One of the things that often typifies a bigger team going down is a period of decline and then a warning season preceding the relegation.

Looking at it objectively we shouldn't go down. We will likely have the 5th biggest budget in the league next season but football doesn't always work like that though, we need to iron out a myriad of problems to be absolutely sure we'll not only be fine in regards to relegation abut also ready to push up the league.

The reality is we are probably starting from one of the least stable bases. Poor squad, no manager and a football operation that lacks cohesion and isn't working. I don't think we will be relegated next season but it's not outwith the realms of possibility.

Absolutely spot on post.

HendoDelivered
13-05-2022, 11:47 AM
Distinct possibility that relegation is on the cards for next season.

Every bit of good that Leeann Dempster built at this club has gone. We are a mess.

Hate being negative, but I have to agree with this.

GRA
13-05-2022, 11:55 AM
FFS the catastrophising negativity on this board really is grating! It's been a horrendously poor season from November onwards but that's what happens if we sell our best player, keep changing managers and have an unlucky run with injuries.

We're nowhere near as bad as people are making out. With a decent manager and a decent spine (hopefully signing Marshall is a sign of things to come) we'll be back competing for the Euro places no problem.

Jones28
13-05-2022, 12:48 PM
FFS the catastrophising negativity on this board really is grating! It's been a horrendously poor season from November onwards but that's what happens if we sell our best player, keep changing managers and have an unlucky run with injuries.

We're nowhere near as bad as people are making out. With a decent manager and a decent spine (hopefully signing Marshall is a sign of things to come) we'll be back competing for the Euro places no problem.

Been here long? :greengrin

I agree though, it's draining.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2022, 12:51 PM
Nonsense. We will have a new manager who will be sacked.

Sorted. :greengrin

Jones28
13-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Hibs will not be relegated next season. We've had a stinker, no question about it. However we are nearly at the end of a dreadful season, with the consolation that next season should be a clean slate for everyone.

A new manager to come in as well, with fresh ideas and lots of potential to work with from our table topping young team.

Last summers recruitment was a disaster, and the person responsible was rightly punted. FWIW while Mueller was a bit of a disaster (though worthwhile gamble), I actually think we've brought in some decent players in January and with a good summer of solid quality and experience I think we can build on it. 3 key players to come back from lengthy lay offs to, Magennis, Nisbet and Doidge. If all 3 can get good pre seasons in and hit the ground running next season we will be in a far far better position next season.

Come on, a bit of positivity guys.

tamig
13-05-2022, 01:59 PM
Hibs will not be relegated next season. We've had a stinker, no question about it. However we are nearly at the end of a dreadful season, with the consolation that next season should be a clean slate for everyone.

A new manager to come in as well, with fresh ideas and lots of potential to work with from our table topping young team.

Last summers recruitment was a disaster, and the person responsible was rightly punted. FWIW while Mueller was a bit of a disaster (though worthwhile gamble), I actually think we've brought in some decent players in January and with a good summer of solid quality and experience I think we can build on it. 3 key players to come back from lengthy lay offs to, Magennis, Nisbet and Doidge. If all 3 can get good pre seasons in and hit the ground running next season we will be in a far far better position next season.

I’ve not been on here a lot lately but the doom and gloom - especially on threads like this - is unbelievable.

allezsauzee
13-05-2022, 02:20 PM
I don't think we'll be relegated next season but that is based on my expectation that we will recruit to significantly strengthen the squad. Anyone who believes that our current squad is good enough to avoid a relegation battle needs to take their heads out of the sand and have a look at our form post the sale of Boyle.

B.H.F.C
13-05-2022, 02:22 PM
If we don’t sort out the middle of the park we won’t improve.

I think a big issue for the new manager is that a lot of the players under contract are players that have played a big part in our struggles. Anyone out of contract or at the end of a loan needs to go which will be a decent start. We’re going to need to try and move some of the contracted ones on, especially in the midfield area. Would probably look at moving Doidge on as he’ll be on a decent wage and has managed 8 goals in the league in two seasons now.

Said it all season that a big problem is the quality of the squad even though the managers are the ones that have lost their jobs. If we don’t change the squad, quite drastically IMO, we’ll continue to struggle.

Coco Bryce
13-05-2022, 02:23 PM
No danger we'll be relegated next season.

Been total **** for about 8 months and still 13 points of bottom

jacomo
13-05-2022, 02:26 PM

As we aren’t going to get relegated, and Butcher is nowhere near our club, we clearly are in a better position now.

Do we have to put up with much more hysteria like this? The situation is bad but let’s get a sense of perspective ffs.

ScottB
13-05-2022, 02:32 PM
The standard of 4th to 10th was pretty terrible this year, as shown by it going down to the last game before the split to sort it out, as it seemed like everyone was struggling to win a game.

We’ve since switched off completely, which in the circumstances isn’t a surprise.

It won’t take much to turn us back into competing for the top 6, assuming we pick up a decent manager and at least a couple starters over the summer.

Challenging Hearts for 3rd might need more significant surgery, but avoiding relegation really shouldn’t be a struggle unless we seriously screw up the summer.

Stubbsy90+2
13-05-2022, 03:04 PM
As we aren’t going to get relegated, and Butcher is nowhere near our club, we clearly are in a better position now.

Do we have to put up with much more hysteria like this? The situation is bad but let’s get a sense of perspective ffs.

In terms of not ending up in the Championship then we’re in a better position.

That summer we had a huge amount of players out of contract and generally speaking, it was the worst of them that were leaving.

This season we’ve got lots of players who still have contracts here and they’re a huge part of the problems we’ve got squad wise.

tamig
13-05-2022, 05:59 PM

That summer we had a huge amount of players out of contract and generally speaking, it was the worst of them that were leaving.

This season we’ve got lots of players who still have contracts here and they’re a huge part of the problems we’ve got squad wise.
I think folk are underestimating how effective some of these so called problem players could be with a couple of key additions. The team looked good at the start of the season and the wheels fell off with Magennis getting laid up again.

Lago
13-05-2022, 06:11 PM
I’ve not been on here a lot lately but the doom and gloom - especially on threads like this - is unbelievable.
This lightweight compared with some 😅

AugustaHibs
13-05-2022, 06:18 PM

Good post but I disagree with the ‘clean slate’ for everyone.

Im there’s a good 10 players in this squad that shouldn’t even be given a chance to prove anything. Get rid at all cost.

jacomo
13-05-2022, 08:32 PM

Cmon now, it’s been a season to forget but let’s not wet the bed about it.

Onion
14-05-2022, 02:49 AM
The standard of 4th to 10th was pretty terrible this year, as shown by it going down to the last game before the split to sort it out, as it seemed like everyone was struggling to win a game.

We’ve since switched off completely, which in the circumstances isn’t a surprise.

It won’t take much to turn us back into competing for the top 6, assuming we pick up a decent manager and at least a couple starters over the summer.

Challenging Hearts for 3rd might need more significant surgery, but avoiding relegation really shouldn’t be a struggle unless we seriously screw up the summer.

Other teams must pray for Hibs to be in the bottom 6 as our post-split record is horrible. There is something in the Hibs soft psyche that switches the players off when to comes to the last 5 games. High time ST prices reflected that :cb

Sir David Gray
14-05-2022, 07:00 AM
Other teams must pray for Hibs to be in the bottom 6 as our post-split record is horrible. There is something in the Hibs soft psyche that switches the players off when to comes to the last 5 games. High time ST prices reflected that :cb

Yep.

It's something that I pointed out a few weeks ago.

* 21/22 - 4 points (bottom six)
20/21 - 7 points (top six)
18/19 - 2 points (top six)
17/18 - 8 points (top six)
13/14 - 1 point (bottom six)
12/13 - 11 points (bottom six)
11/12 - 6 points (bottom six)
10/11 - 1 point (bottom six)
09/10 - 4 points (top six)
08/09 - 5 points (top six)
07/08 - 2 points (top six)
06/07 - 5 points (top six)
05/06 - 4 points (top six)
04/05 - 5 points (top six)
03/04 - 6 points (bottom six)
02/03 - 12 points (bottom six)
01/02 - 7 points (bottom six)
00/01 - 5 points (top six)

Since the split was brought in we have picked up an average of just over 5 points per season in the post-split games ahead of this season.

For top six seasons we have picked up an average of just under 5 points per season and for bottom six seasons we have picked up an average of just over 6 points per season.

#2 Double Tap
14-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Yep.

Since the split was brought in we have picked up an average of just over 5 points per season in the post-split games ahead of this season.

For top six seasons we have picked up an average of just under 5 points per season and for bottom six seasons we have picked up an average of just over 6 points per season.

Grim reading

Sir David Gray
14-05-2022, 07:40 AM
Grim reading

Indeed. Especially when you consider that picking up a win tomorrow but still only getting 7 points from our 5 post-split bottom six fixtures would be considered to be an above average season.

high bee
14-05-2022, 07:52 AM
Anything could happen next season, I don’t see this season being a gauge of what to expect next season. We should be about to have a massive turnaround of players and a new manager so the decisions made on recruitment in the next couple of months are going to decide our fate.

Here’s hoping we’re back challenging at the right end of the table but if we’re not then it’s down to the decisions made from now rather than a hangover from last season, we have enough players due to leave that the squad should be a different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastterrace
14-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Yep.

For top six seasons we have picked up an average of just under 5 points per season and for bottom six seasons we have picked up an average of just over 6 points per season.that’s really depressing reading. It looks like players downing tools when we are in bottom six.

LeithMike
14-05-2022, 11:40 AM
that’s really depressing reading. It looks like players downing tools when we are in bottom six.Top six record isnt great either. Its almost as if finishing in the top 6 is the big objective and performances tail off whether that objective is achieved or not.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
14-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Shows how bad we have been this season when we have 2 brutal teams like Dundee Utd and Motherwell in Europe - both very poor sides who will embarrass us next season - but sadly we've been slightly worse than them both