PDA

View Full Version : Is it you in this video? (Hands Off Hibs)

RIP
07-05-2022, 02:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjZC0qcUFU

I remember watching this great TV article and spotting an old friend from the late 80's (Mike Wilson) in the HOH tent at Easter Road, presumably one of the organising committee. We were acquainted through music and I'm not even sure I was aware Mike was such a devoted Hibby back then.:not worth

Are any of you Netters in this film at at what point?

I'm aware that it's 30 years ago some some will be in heaven now RIP :pray:

Nakedmanoncrack
07-05-2022, 05:01 PM
I'm in it at 06.48, never seen that particular footage before.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2022, 05:05 PM
I have been going to games at ER since just before my 3rd birthday but the Hands Off Hibs rally is the earliest memory I have of being at ER. Largely because I saw my Grandad cry which I have only seen another once since. That kind of thing sticks with you.

I don't remember much of the day but I remember being there and I genuinely don't remember being at ER before then even though I have been told I was.

Nakedmanoncrack
07-05-2022, 05:06 PM
And again just before 9 mins, I've seen that footage before though, but not until fairly recently.

hibee_girl
07-05-2022, 05:08 PM
I have been going to games at ER since just before my 3rd birthday but the Hands Off Hibs rally is the earliest memory I have of being at ER. Largely because I saw my Grandad cry which I have only seen another once since. That kind of thing sticks with you.

I don't remember much of the day but I remember being there and I genuinely don't remember being at ER before then even though I have been told I was.

I was 4, it was my first time at ER too and I have vague memories of the day.

My Grandad made the whole family go, I remember being bored and was handed his car keys to play with 😂

Scotty Leither
07-05-2022, 05:14 PM
I wish the club had half the spirit now that the fans showed during that time.

God bless you Kenny MacLean senior.

PS: **** you Mercer.

DaveF
07-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Seeing that git Mercer makes my blood boil to this day. I remember it vividly, taking a half day from work (alongside my then manager) to head to ER when it was announced.

Rot in hell Mercer. No sympathy here.

RIP
07-05-2022, 11:03 PM
A lot of passion showing in that film.

Have to laugh at the haircuts, Rod Petrie taches and crumpled jeans. The fitba may not have improved but at least the terracing fashion is a lot better 😂

Keith_M
08-05-2022, 05:08 PM
I wasn't at the HoH (I was on holiday) but went to the first derby game after it and it was one of the most toxic atmospheres ever.

It didn't help that Hibs were utter **** and already losing 3-0 at half-time... and the Hearts Fans chanting 'there's only one Wallace Mercer'

There was one young woman that ran onto the pitch from the East Stand (twice, I think) and she was either drunk or seriously high on drugs.

cabbageandribs1875
08-05-2022, 07:52 PM
i recognise the face on the guy on the left from games back then but can't remember his name

and of course many older fans on here will recognise MM in the grey jumper :(

https://i.ibb.co/KXLwYZP/fans.jpg (https://ibb.co/QfCdZBg)

FilipinoHibs
08-05-2022, 08:10 PM
Wow very emotional to bring back those memories. I am briefly in at 3:41. Where did my dark hair and slim build go?

Mick O'Rourke
08-05-2022, 09:45 PM
i recognise the face on the guy on the left from games back then but can't remember his name

and of course many older fans on here will recognise MM in the grey jumper :(

https://i.ibb.co/KXLwYZP/fans.jpg (https://ibb.co/QfCdZBg)

I forgot his name anaw.Shocking memory !
He was a good pal of Mick McGhee,who of course is the MM you refer to in the photie.
God bless him.
I had a house in Granton in the 70s.Mick lived in Wardieburn then.
One New Years Eve, I got a first foot from Mick and his pals.
I hardly knew him then. But how gallus was he.
Someone tipped him i was Jimmys brother and would likely have a good drink in the hoose for Hibbys.
Lovely man was Michael .Really was.
He didnae miss ye if he knew you missed a game .
Mind the old saying "He loves the Hibs so much he would watch the pitch grass grow"
That was Mick
Mick was a time served brickie,but really did not continue his trade.
His trade and life was following Hibs ...

Still much missed by his family and pals

darwenhibby
08-05-2022, 09:45 PM
Aye my Uncle Drew is in there with so many others RIP
If it wasn’t for them we would have nothing to moan about now
Let’s get behind is great club of ours
GGTTH 🇳🇬🇳🇬

cabbageandribs1875
08-05-2022, 10:08 PM
I forgot his name anaw.Shocking memory !
He was a good pal of Mick McGhee,who of course is the MM you refer to in the photie.
God bless him.
I had a house in Granton in the 70s.Mick lived in Wardieburn then.
One New Years Eve, I got a first foot from Mick and his pals.
I hardly knew him then. But how gallus was he.
Someone tipped him i was Jimmys brother and would likely have a good drink in the hoose for Hibbys.
Lovely man was Michael .Really was.
He didnae miss ye if he knew you missed a game .
Mind the old saying "He loves the Hibs so much he would watch the pitch grass grow"
That was Mick
Mick was a time served brickie,but really did not continue his trade.
His trade and life was following Hibs ...

Still much missed by his family and pals

nice story :thumbsup:my memory is shocking as well, last time actually spoke to mick was (i think) one of our youth sides playing in a final at the Falkirk Stadium during the week but mick was there, iirc he had already suffered a bit of a health scare but was feeling fine again, he was certainly a character and bled Green, i'm sure many a good/funny story could be told about mick :agree:

joebakerforever
09-05-2022, 01:21 AM
nice story :thumbsup:my memory is shocking as well, last time actually spoke to mick was (i think) one of our youth sides playing in a final at the Falkirk Stadium during the week but mick was there, iirc he had already suffered a bit of a health scare but was feeling fine again, he was certainly a character and bled Green, i'm sure many a good/funny story could be told about mick :agree:

Mick also followed Monarchs Speedway @ Powderhall where was known to all as "Texas" for some reason?

He took the offer to come on an off season trip to see some away matches of Speedway during the summer.

4 of us piled into an old Ford Capri on a Saturday morning with Mick & I in the back seat. He looked a bit rough & promptly conked out.

When over the border going over a stretch of road known as the switchback railway, he suddenly woke up & boaked down the back of the driver's seat, doing a good imitation of the vomit scene from the Exorcist!

After making an emergency stop, he reckoned it was the cold fish fingers he had scoffed after a heavy night on the bevy made him puke.

The other memorable episode from that trip was that had forgot to bring a toothbrush & asked his room mate if he could borrow his & was given it & told he could keep it also.

He certainly livened up that trip!!

BILLYHIBS
09-05-2022, 05:28 AM
Flew out to Italia ‘90 the day the news broke

That and Costa Rica got the holiday off to a bad start :greengrin

brog
09-05-2022, 09:00 AM
How dignified and articulate was Kenny McLean, proud to have called him a friend. On Mercer, I had almost forgotten the guff about 1 team challenging for honours. Total garbage, it was capitalism and greed at it's worst.
More on Mercer, not long after HOH, I sat beside him on a plane from Gatwick to Edinburgh. I'm guessing that was the longest hour of his life. I quickly determined that he couldn't even tell me the Hearts scorers from a 2 1 win over Falkirk the day before. By the end he agreed he was really a 'rugby chap' with no affiliation to Hearts. To be fair to him he remained polite throughout, though that was probably more through fear than fellowship!