PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight is a wonderful thing

St.Kristopher
06-05-2022, 09:11 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-and-the-ian-gordon-saga-quashing-fans-fears-over-dangerous-dynasty-3682519

Patrick McPartlin has just published the above. For what it is worth, I support the Gordon’s and don’t think there is anything sinister about their ownership of Hibs. However, this article (puffed up press release) is arrogant nonsense. With language like this:

“How many were Shaun Maloney’s choice, and how many had been foisted upon him by the younger Gordon? (Answer: none)”

“Privately, the Hibs hierarchy are baffled by the manner in which misconceptions about Gordon’s role have snowballed.”

“Confusion over Gordon jnr’s role may well linger, but, like so much of the last nine months, Hibs have to draw a line under it and move on – and perhaps the fans do as well.”

I have been firmly in the let’s give it time camp, but this has got my back up. I really don’t like the language, and my guess is that it’s not Patrick’s words. In my head, we will move on once we see success on the pitch. Ron has been cutthroat on people he has perceived as not his people. We as fans will be just as critical of his team until such time as they get it right - then we will draw a line under it and move on.

AugustaHibs
06-05-2022, 09:25 AM
The last few days have seen hibs media mouthpieces all rushing to defend Ian Gordon.

Nobody at the club is brave enough though to come out and explain the situation.

*****bags.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-05-2022, 09:27 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-and-the-ian-gordon-saga-quashing-fans-fears-over-dangerous-dynasty-3682519

Patrick McPartlin has just published the above. For what it is worth, I support the Gordon’s and don’t think there is anything sinister about their ownership of Hibs. However, this article (puffed up press release) is arrogant nonsense. With language like this:

“How many were Shaun Maloney’s choice, and how many had been foisted upon him by the younger Gordon? (Answer: none)”

“Privately, the Hibs hierarchy are baffled by the manner in which misconceptions about Gordon’s role have snowballed.”

“Confusion over Gordon jnr’s role may well linger, but, like so much of the last nine months, Hibs have to draw a line under it and move on – and perhaps the fans do as well.”

I have been firmly in the let’s give it time camp, but this has got my back up. I really don’t like the language, and my guess is that it’s not Patrick’s words. In my head, we will move on once we see success on the pitch. Ron has been cutthroat on people he has perceived as not his people. We as fans will be just as critical of his team until such time as they get it right - then we will draw a line under it and move on.

yeah the “draw a line” piece irked a bit. Feels a bit political - speak and convenient.

CropleyWasGod
06-05-2022, 09:30 AM
The last few days have seen hibs media mouthpieces all rushing to defend Ian Gordon.

Nobody at the club is brave enough though to come out and explain the situation.

*****bags.

Did RG not do that just the other week?

Jones28
06-05-2022, 09:34 AM

That line would get me if it had come from Kensall or Gordon, but it didnt?

Heisenberg
06-05-2022, 09:39 AM
Did RG not do that just the other week?

Aye, it’s just some folk have decided he was lying. I don’t think there’s more they can explain now about his responsibilities. They should’ve done it when IG was appointed to his role but they can’t change that now.

I don’t think IG is qualified for the role he’s got (unless he’s got experience that we haven’t heard about) but that’s a different complaint. They have more than explained what he does at the club.

madhibee_again
06-05-2022, 09:48 AM
It's all becoming a bit tiresome this, notwithstanding whether Ian Gordon should be in his managing role, the process is pretty much the same process that is followed at every other club at our level and higher across the country and Europe. Managers these days don't draw up lists of players and track them across the country. They rely on recruitment departments to provide them with options to fill a requirement or position that the manager has identified as needing filled within the squad. At times a manager may have worked with a player or been approached by an agent regarding the availability of player, in these situations does anyone really believe the manager will be told he's not on our list so can't be considered? The player would be considered with all those others identified - surely that's just good governance?

Hibs needed, and need, to do some regarding the perception that's been developed by Richard Foster, Michael Stewart and the red tops. This is then trying to do that.

Hearts, whose transfer approach has been lauded this year, work in pretty much the same way. Albeit they've appointed someone with experience of football and the role to head it up.

SlickShoes
06-05-2022, 09:53 AM
People are getting angry at everything and this is another example of that. Whatever the club do we will have thread here full of people angry about it.

Hibs either try to change people's perception of things or they just let the media make things up and say whatever they want. Either way, people get angry. Here we have you not believing a journalist could write this and it's just propaganda from hibs...

It seems that many are more willing to believe a random "in the know" post on a forum, or some random person that works for the Daily Record than things the club actually say. I don't know how you win those people back, you probably don't if we are being realistic.

Not everything is going to be a huge conspiracy to do something nefarious, human beings make mistakes all the time.

LaMotta
06-05-2022, 09:57 AM

I think they very much are Patrick's words and I don't see anything wrong with them to be honest.

Brightside
06-05-2022, 09:58 AM
It's all becoming a bit tiresome this, notwithstanding whether Ian Gordon should be in his managing role, the process is pretty much the same process that is followed at every other club at our level and higher across the country and Europe. Managers these days don't draw up lists of players and track them across the country. They rely on recruitment departments to provide them with options to fill a requirement or position that the manager has identified as needing filled within the squad. At times a manager may have worked with a player or been approached by an agent regarding the availability of player, in these situations does anyone really believe the manager will be told he's not on our list so can't be considered? The player would be considered with all those others identified - surely that's just good governance?

Hibs needed, and need, to do some regarding the perception that's been developed by Richard Foster, Michael Stewart and the red tops. This is then trying to do that.

Hearts, whose transfer approach has been lauded this year, work in pretty much the same way. Albeit they've appointed someone with experience of football and the role to head it up.

Hearts have a Sporting Director. As soon as we put one in place I’ll be a lot happier.

Pagan Hibernia
06-05-2022, 10:00 AM
People are getting angry at everything and this is another example of that. Whatever the club do we will have thread here full of people angry about it.

Hibs either try to change people's perception of things or they just let the media make things up and say whatever they want. Either way, people get angry.

It seems that many are more willing to believe a random "in the know" post on a forum, or some random person that works for the Daily Record than things the club actually say. I don't know how you win those people back, you probably don't if we are being realistic.

we do undoubtedly have a moany fanbase.

but people are justifiably angry and bemused after a shocker of a last 12 months. And the pain from a double humping from hearts. It just feels like everything the club does these days they make an arse of it

andyf5
06-05-2022, 10:01 AM

This is my worry, the lack of experience.

J-C
06-05-2022, 10:02 AM
Same posters no matter what is said have it in for the owner/running of the club, even though they know their agenda is BS, they moaned about Petrue too, they'll never be happy.

oldbutdim
06-05-2022, 10:04 AM
Same posters no matter what is said have it in for the owner/running of the club, even though they know their agenda is BS, they moaned about Petrue too, they'll never be happy.

............ and the "Ponzi Scheme".............

:rolleyes:

Rick Rude
06-05-2022, 10:11 AM

*****bags.

Pretty sure both Ron Gordon and Ben Kensell have said it on a number of occasions but everyone either chooses to not believe or would just rather ignore as then can't use it as a stick to beat the club with.

I'd be most interested to know who done the role previously. Did it just fall as part of the remit of the CEO or was it done by someone else and no one cares cause it wasn't the son of the owner.

Pagan Hibernia
06-05-2022, 10:13 AM
............ and the "Ponzi Scheme".............

:rolleyes:

the irony being that had there not been that hateful lying campaign against HSL at the beginning which undoubted hindered its momentum, Gordon and his unqualified son wouldn’t be here and the fans would have more of a stake themselves.

idiots.

ahibby
06-05-2022, 10:15 AM

You make a fair point. I have never been hostile towards the club this season, I accept they,ve got things wrong and they know they have. As an institution never mind a club we seem to have these kind of fails at the worst times. Conversly we seem to have successes at times when success is less advantageous for Europe level. Its bad luck or bad planning lacking in foresight we know that with hindsight.;-)

St.Kristopher
06-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Same posters, no matter what is said have it in for the owner/running of the club, even though they know their agenda is BS, they moaned about Petrue too, they'll never be happy.

Mate, I have never once complained about the owners. I’ve not even done this in the OP. I don't have a problem with the setup at all. However, it has not thus far yielded results in the park.

My comments are not directed at the set-up but this puff piece article. We have one similar building Ian’s credentials up before that amounted to him being integral to the Muller signing. I hope they get it right, and I don't doubt their endeavour. However, as fans and customers, we have every right to make comments. I felt the article was arrogant in its tone and it is my view that we heard that same language in the press conferences after Maloney left. It's not how Patrick normally writes, so it is my view that much of this has come from the club.

Vault Boy
06-05-2022, 10:37 AM
The tone isn't great. You can't give someone a role with the title 'Head of Recruitment' and get annoyed when fans assume it's a senior position.

leith lynx
06-05-2022, 10:40 AM
A fans Q&A with Ian Gordon would clear a lot of confusion.

Smartie
06-05-2022, 10:44 AM
I don’t have any issue with Ian Gordon but the way Hibs are handling this I’ll probably end up being as angry as everyone else seems to be.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2022, 10:59 AM
The tone isn't great. You can't give someone a role with the title 'Head of Recruitment' and get annoyed when fans assume it's a senior position.

I think this is a huge part of the issue.

For better or worse in relatively recent times we became used to having things the club were doing spoon fed to us. Structures were explained, arrivals and departures in relatively minor roles were announced, the doors were thrown open for those who were interested to see it for themselves etc etc. Now obviously the pandemic inhibited any real opportunity to engage with fans face to face but the Ian Gordon appointment was handled badly. When you give someone the title of 'head of recruitment', don't explain it to the fans at the time, add them to the club directory with no fanfare then remove them when social media sleuth notice then the optics aren't great. No amount of retrospective explanation is going to completely erase that and articles that carry the tone like the one in the OP are probably not particularly helpful to the club either.

leith lynx
06-05-2022, 11:04 AM
I think this is a huge part of the issue.

For better or worse in relatively recent times we became used to having things the club were doing spoon fed to us. Structures were explained, arrivals and departures in relatively minor roles were announced, the doors were thrown open for those who were interested to see it for themselves etc etc. Now obviously the pandemic inhibited any real opportunity to engage with fans face to face but the Ian Gordon appointment was handled badly. When you give someone the title of 'head of recruitment', don't explain it to the fans at the time, add them to the club directory with no fanfare then remove them when social media sleuth notice then the optics aren't great. No amount of retrospective explanation is going to completely erase that and articles that carry the tone like the one in the OP are probably not particularly helpful to the club either.Exactly.

degenerated
06-05-2022, 11:42 AM
The tone isn't great. You can't give someone a role with the title 'Head of Recruitment' and get annoyed when fans assume it's a senior position.Even when it's explained on almost a daily basis and completely ignored?

JohnM1875
06-05-2022, 11:45 AM

Totally agree. They might well feel they don't have to defend their decision. But it would certainly give him a chance to tell is himself.

Unseen work
06-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Jesus Christ so now we’re having a go at the board for a journalist suggesting fans move on too?

This is becoming ridiculous.

thebausburst
06-05-2022, 11:59 AM
The issue I have with RG is he defended the clubs change of staff i.e. old faces moved on and new coming in as improving and professionalising things saying did we want to be a ‘mom and pop outfit’ or professional outfit, yet flys in the face of this by giving his own son a senior recruitment position!

St.Kristopher
06-05-2022, 12:08 PM
Jesus Christ so now we’re having a go at the board for a journalist suggesting fans move on too?

This is becoming ridiculous.

That the thing though it seems ghost written. The days of journalists to research fact check and then craft an article are mostly gone. Much of what we read in the papers are just statements and press releases tarted up to look like a story. This article has all the halmarks of something put out by the club to try and dispell the current scrutiny of the clubs performance and Ian Gordon’s roll.

Sioux
06-05-2022, 12:14 PM

Aye, so it would! Fans on here and elsewhere have already decided he shouldn't be in the role, or any other role for that matter. Any answers IG gave would be regarded as lies, lies and more lies, whilst half his critics wouldn't understand the process of having some cornflakes in the morning.

Fuzzywuzzy
06-05-2022, 12:18 PM
I felt that was completely patronising and placing a lot of 'misunderstandings' being squarely left to the fans as not having an understanding of what goes on in club football.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2022, 12:33 PM
I felt that was completely patronising and placing a lot of 'misunderstandings' being squarely left to the fans as not having an understanding of what goes on in club football.

Tbh I think it's fair to say most fans don't have an understanding of what goes on at football clubs but then they are fans so it doesn't really matter.

I don't think anyone in a position of power at Hibs really gives a stuff what you, I or anyone else at ER on Saturday thinks about Ian Gordon's role or his suitability for it. Of course they have to pretend that isn't the case publicly but in private? They won't care unless they are ridiculously thin skinned which I can't really imagine being the case.

Fwiw I don't think that article has been fed to McPartlin. When someone like David Hardie 1st started at the EEN it was a different world. He would have been fed bits of information to get out there when it suited Hibs, asked to hold things back when it didn't and in exchange he'd have got the early heads up when anything worth reporting was about to happen. These days clubs don't have to wait for the presses to run to get news out. They can control the narrative through social media. It's a bit of a rant from a journo, nothing more and nothing less.

B.H.F.C
06-05-2022, 04:20 PM
I think the whole thing about structure and approach to transfers is getting made in to something it’s not. It’s as if managers at every other club do it all themselves and we’re totally different.

The folk in the positions (be it manager, CEO, Sporting Director, Head of Recruitment) clearly haven’t done a good job over the last year but that’s down to their individual ability/performance rather than the structure they’re working in.

Hibs brought a lot of the criticism on themselves trying to sneak the owners laddie in without anyone noticing though.

flash
06-05-2022, 04:23 PM

*****bags.
Away and boil yer heed.

Tully
06-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Away and boil yer heed.

The proof of the pudding will be if we're sitting here at the same time next season moaning about the same things as just now, this is one of the biggest decisions in getting the proper manager and supporting him because we need to have stability

leith lynx
06-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Aye, so it would! Fans on here and elsewhere have already decided he shouldn't be in the role, or any other role for that matter. Any answers IG gave would be regarded as lies, lies and more lies, whilst half his critics wouldn't understand the process of having some cornflakes in the morning.

Try some smoothing germoloides...

Mrimbetween
06-05-2022, 05:11 PM
I chip in when i can but one i didnt to was the Proclaimers one

Hows that going ?? honestly !!

Why dont the guys do a show or two at ER and rake in the cash.. seems they are all talk

Mikey_1875
06-05-2022, 05:13 PM
The end of the article is probably bang on even though it’s not what fans like to hear. I’ve had my fair share of digs at the club in the last few weeks but it’s getting to the stage where it’s evident the people currently in position aren’t going to change their approach. So as a club we could do with putting the uneasiness on the back burner and everyone getting behind the new manager for next season.

So far they have promised an increased wage budget, transfer kitty and acknowledged the need for more established players in the team. I’m happy to wait and see if they follow through on that and how we get on next season under a new manager.

Vault Boy
06-05-2022, 05:18 PM
Even when it's explained on almost a daily basis and completely ignored?

Yes.

The explanations don't provide any clarity on the seniority of Ian's position, nor the relevant experience or qualification he holds for the role. They only seek to suggest that Ian isn't solely in charge of recruitment. That's fine, but it's not really the primary concern.

Bridge hibs
06-05-2022, 06:04 PM
I chip in when i can but one i didnt to was the Proclaimers one

Hows that going ?? honestly !!

Why dont the guys do a show or two at ER and rake in the cash.. seems they are all talkWhy the **** should the Proclaimers do concerts in aid of hibs ? We are not skint ffs 🤣

Hearts didnt roll out Ronnie Corbet for a comedy night or the legendary Cicero or Exploited for a black tie cabaret night

Is It On....
06-05-2022, 08:25 PM

"Albeit they've appointed someone with experience [he was previously at Brighton amongst others] of football and the role" is something I would say is critical.

RIP
06-05-2022, 09:01 PM
The article has all the hallmarks of a tasty ‘exclusive’ spoon-fed to a friendly journalist.

David Forsyth of Benchmark PR was a seasoned pro at that tactic and reputedly had a couple of local journos in his back pocket.

Football journalism works the same way all over the globe. If you need an example closer to home, you only have to look at the Daily Ranger.

JoeT
06-05-2022, 09:04 PM
Hindsight is ****. Just reminds you how **** decisions were first time round

Logie Green
07-05-2022, 09:19 AM
The article has all the hallmarks of a tasty ‘exclusive’ spoon-fed to a friendly journalist.

David Forsyth of Benchmark PR was a seasoned pro at that tactic and reputedly had a couple of local journos in his back pocket.

Football journalism works the same way all over the globe. If you need an example closer to home, you only have to look at the Daily Ranger.

I agree.

If Hibs had announced IG’s appointment and explained his role then articles like this wouldn’t be needed.

I’m surprised that Ron Gordon, a man who has become wealthy through media, seems to allow things like this to mushroom instead of being open and honest from the start.

He also could’ve closed down the issue of whether he’d sell up by simply saying ‘no’ but instead gave the journalist a headline. Rather naive in my opinion.

superfurryhibby
07-05-2022, 09:43 AM

It’s almost as if the bit in bold doesn’t count for some folk.

The interview is a lily livered PR exercise, with the journalist being spoon fed the story. Gordon snr isn’t going to be overseeing Hibs on a day to day basis. His son is his man at the club. Fair enough, but he needs more support than a former glorified admin manager at his side.

Whilst the club continues to underperform and buy development players whilst sliding down the league, criticism will follow and it will be harsh.

Scotty Leither
07-05-2022, 10:57 AM
It’s almost as if the bit in bold doesn’t count for some folk.

The interview is a lily livered PR exercise, with the journalist being spoon fed the story. Gordon snr isn’t going to be overseeing Hibs on a day to day basis. His son is his man at the club. Fair enough, but he needs more support than a former glorified admin manager at his side.

Whilst the club continues to underperform and buy development players whilst sliding down the league, criticism will follow and it will be harsh.

:top marks

jacomo
07-05-2022, 10:57 AM
That the thing though it seems ghost written. The days of journalists to research fact check and then craft an article are mostly gone. Much of what we read in the papers are just statements and press releases tarted up to look like a story. This article has all the halmarks of something put out by the club to try and dispell the current scrutiny of the clubs performance and Ian Gordon’s roll.

No question about it.

Mind you, it’s how Hearts and other clubs operate and their fans just lap it up, so I can understand Hibs giving it a go.

I’m still less angry at the hierarchy then I am at the fans who think we are the sort of club that bins its manager a week before a major cup final.

Unfortunately, we’ve become that, in part because the owners lack the sureness of touch of seasoned operators imo.