PDA

View Full Version : 50 years ago today SCF

expresso
06-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Travelled over from Belfast with my Celtic supporting family to see Hibs in the flesh for the first time.
Thankfully subsequent trips were happier.

bigwheel
06-05-2022, 08:32 AM
50 years again then since I got hammered by my Mum ..very young kid , asked her the score , threw my slipper at her when she told me …got it around my arse as a result !!

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 09:07 AM
50 years again then since I got hammered by my Mum ..very young kid , asked her the score , threw my slipper at her when she told me …got it around my arse as a result !!

Brilliant. Unfortunately was there about 9 old absolutely gutted as thought we were winning. Crops missed the game because a legendary manager to be broke his leg. Bertie Auld played or at least came on. Huge crowd was patronised by Celtic fans around us who said they would give me some coins whenever they scored unfortunately made quite a lot of money. :greengrin The nature of that defeat cut deep at that age however much happier time the next final I was at later in the year.

Ringothedog
06-05-2022, 10:11 AM
My abiding memory apart from the result was the size of the crowd and the constant battling of the 2 sets of fans

expresso
06-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Brilliant. Unfortunately was there about 9 old absolutely gutted as thought we were winning. Crops missed the game because a legendary manager to be broke has leg. Bertie Auld played or at least came on. Huge crowd was patronised by Celtic fans around us who said they would give me some coins whenever they scored unfortunately made quite a lot of money. :greengrin The nature of that defeat cut deep at that age however much happier time the next final I was at later in the year.

Indeed LCF was smashing.
Bertie Auld came 9n as a late substitute

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2022, 10:58 AM
New footage

https://youtu.be/S-VQ7hWcdVk

The fans

https://youtu.be/PcqvOBs0V8o

The 14 year old Billyhibs telt his ma he wiz away to the fitba and got picked up by the Carlton Branch at Haymarket Eddie Campbell Jimmy Marriott Pedro and all the usual suspects :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
06-05-2022, 12:01 PM
New footage

The fans

The 14 year old Billyhibs telt his ma he wiz away to the fitba and got picked up by the Carlton Branch at Haymarket Eddie Campbell Jimmy Marriott Pedro and all the usual suspects :greengrin

Remarkable and historic footage,Billy.
106,000 plus the turnstile dodgers and "lift overs".Some crowd.
Of course,date on film is wrong, but was great to see legendary union leader Jimmy Reid (or was it John Hughes!) in the stand.
Billy Connolly on a stretcher :greengrin,great close ups of Shades and assorted fans, some full of Buckie chumming police,arm in arm,round the running track.

Happy Days indeed, bar that result and me, a 20yr old dodging beer and wine bottles thrown at us in the covered end.
Bottles smashed off the roof beams. And they were winning !!!
Nae love lost back then wae the lesser greens.

Ah mind Eddie Campbell well ,lovely popular guy.

h1bs4life
06-05-2022, 12:28 PM
New footage

The fans

Thanks for posting , 50 years ago mental .
Aged 9 first ever trip to Hampden was there with old man and brother can remember Alan Gordon scoring , size of the crowd was also memorable 106 000.
Bar the games at Hampden when no crowds allowed the 3 of us have been to every Hibs appearance at Hampden since up until last months when the old man now in his eighties was unwell and had to watch on the tv .
Brother and me were there with other family members.

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2022, 12:32 PM
Of course,date on film is wrong, but was great to see legendary union leader Jimmy Reid (or was it John Hughes!) in the stand.
Billy Connolly on a stretcher :greengrin,great close ups of Shades and assorted fans, some full of Buckie chumming police,arm in arm,round the running track.

Happy Days indeed, bar that result and me, a 20yr old dodging beer and wine bottles thrown at us in the covered end.

Left at 1-4 when the mass pagger broke oot at The Rangers end and found masel oan the pitch

Credit to the Carlton Branch as they waited for the wee man who was sitting by hisel beside the driver

Leithenhibby
06-05-2022, 12:36 PM
New footage

The fans

Aw, fantastic memories, scoreline aside...

My first trip to Hampden and it feels like yesterday when leaving from the Doocot on a bus that was swimming, in fluids shall we say...:greengrin

gbhibby
06-05-2022, 12:36 PM

Was in the covered end their fans were climbing up onto the rafters underneath the roof and raining bottles down on the Hibs fans. They were also hitting their own fans as there was no segregation at the game. Was confident of winning that final.

I'm_cabbaged
06-05-2022, 12:44 PM

That EC from the inch?

Mick O'Rourke
06-05-2022, 12:56 PM
That EC from the inch?

Am sure it is Eddie C
Alex Cropley mentions in his book that Eddie contacted him for permission to name an amateur football team Liberton Cropley.
Crops played for them in later years and stated that unlike at Hibs training took place in the pub before and after the games !!

eastterrace
06-05-2022, 01:30 PM
Left at 1-4 when the mass pagger broke oot at The Rangers end and found masel oan the pitch

Credit to the Carlton Branch as they waited for the wee man who was sitting by hisel beside the driveryeh same here left at 4-1 and it was mayhem. I was glad to get out in one piece. Also what memory I have is Alan Gordon scoring equaliser and the stoor rising up from the ground in the rangers end. What a dump hampden was and still is.

MKHIBEE
06-05-2022, 02:12 PM
I missed 2 buses home while waiting for a mate. Me and another mate went home and went to tell my mates mum we couldn’t find him only for her to tell us he had been lifted. He went on to the track to avoid the bottles.

WoreTheGreen
06-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Am sure it is Eddie C
Alex Cropley mentions in his book that Eddie contacted him for permission to name an amateur football team Liberton Cropley.
Crops played for them in later years and stated that unlike at Hibs training took place in the pub before and after the games !!

Eddie was from the inch his gang hut was the Libby Inn

Pretty Boy
06-05-2022, 02:18 PM
New footage

The fans

That tackle by Stanton at about 50 seconds :faf: Straight red card and a newspaper campaign calling for a jail sentence these days.

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2022, 02:22 PM
That tackle by Stanton at about 50 seconds :faf: Straight red card and a newspaper campaign calling for a jail sentence these days.

Played the ba man !

Wi both feet

What a player he was by the way

Majestic

WoreTheGreen
06-05-2022, 02:25 PM

Credit to the Carlton Branch as they waited for the wee man who was sitting by hisel beside the driver

Was there with my dad and my brother my dad spent most of the game protecting us from the bottles raining down on us. We left at4 and genuinely thought I was about to die in the crush at the back of the Huns end trying to get out

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2022, 02:32 PM
The strangest thing about that game is it could easily ended up 5-6 as Hibs eagerly pressed forward second half trying to get back into the game leaving gaps at the back

Eddie Turnbull said post match “ We’ll be back “

brog
06-05-2022, 02:36 PM
The strangest thing about that game is it could easily ended up 5-6 as Hibs eagerly pressed forward second half trying to get back into the game leaving gaps at the back

Eddie Turnbull said post match “ We’ll be back “

Beat me to it though I'd have said 7 or 8 to 5. Of course it didn't help the hundreds of Celtc fans camped out behind the goal we were attacking. Bertie missed about 3 great chances.

Kojock
06-05-2022, 02:41 PM
I was there as a 10 year old and on cheering when Gordon equalised a big fat bearded Celtic supporter was going to attack me until my dad intervened. They were as horrible back then as they are now.

Alfred E Newman
06-05-2022, 02:43 PM
Was there with my dad and my brother my dad spent most of the game protecting us from the bottles raining down on us. We left at4 and genuinely thought I was about to die in the crush at the back of the Huns end trying to get out

That was the scariest moment I've ever had at a football match. The Ibrox disaster the previous year was still fresh in the mind and increased the panic in the crowd that were stuck in the alley way behind the cover. There were over 200 arrests that day

Logie Green
06-05-2022, 03:26 PM
My first Hibs Cup Final, I was 6.

I remember the huge crowd, lots of trackside activity throughout, the stoor from the ash terracing, Celtic fans abusing police for blocking the view and lots of Celtic fans up in the rafters of the ‘Rangers end’ singing Gary Glitter’s ‘I’m The leader of The Gang (I Am)’.

Changed days.

I'm_cabbaged
06-05-2022, 04:00 PM
Am sure it is Eddie C

Thought it would be, absolute gentleman is Eddie.

Mick O'Rourke
06-05-2022, 05:47 PM
Good thread
Interesting us older ones remember the violence as much if not more as the game.
I have little memory other than the radge stuff and the ash/stoor clouds.
It was not really the case that the fighting from the Celtic mob was so much anti Hibs .
It was more anti Edinburgh at the time.

Years later,i worked alongside a Celtic man from Clydebank on a contract in Inverness.
Shared a few beers with him after Friday shift

He was at that final and involved in the fighting.
His view was the "we dont like Embra" line.

He told me that back then the Celtic gangs/fans sometimes fought each other.
Mind it was the era of big housing scheme gangs.

Easterhouse and Castlemilk for example had loads of gangs.
Wee fact: Easterhouse in the 70s had a larger population than Perth. yet it had only one pub !
It had a wonderful name . The Casbah !

And i reminded myself and my new Celtic drinking buddy,i had attended a Glasgow Cup Final in the eary 70s.
I went to Hampden with some Southside tims i knew well.
Then the 1st team played this fixture. Not u18s.
Fights broke out in the Celtic end and they were not kidding.
Bottles flying,beer can openers being used for slashing.Mayhem

I got down the gangway quickstyle,to the front wae the wee yins.
Wisnae ma fight !!

So there you go,they didnae hate us after all.
The just wanted tae chib us :greengrin

kaimendhibs
06-05-2022, 06:31 PM
1979 final, i was 15 and first ever Hibs final(s). The violence and over 100 hibs buses with smashed windows has shaped my hatred of everything Rangers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Earlydelivery
06-05-2022, 06:49 PM
1979 final, i was 15 and first ever Hibs final(s). The violence and over 100 hibs buses with smashed windows has shaped my hatred of everything Rangers

My first Hibs final was 74 got beat 6-3.. but yes you’re spot on the 79 final ( I was 18 ) was the most violent I ever attended.. lucky if we had 3 windows left going along the M8

IberianHibernian
06-05-2022, 07:14 PM
Was in old north terracing under old North Stand in 1972 so missed fighting and bottles . It was packed and it`s hard to believe that another 28000 got in for Scotland v England games or following year`s Old Firm SC final . By 1979 , there were only about 50,000 at first game ( first final televised live ) and only about half that for 2 replays ( not televised live ) at least partly because of violence after first game .

gbhibby
08-05-2022, 02:52 PM

Did not get to the first game of the 1979 final until the second half. I was on one of the special trains. There had been fighting and vandalism on one of the trains ahead of us
We were shunted into a siding. This then led to fights on our train and many smashed windows. Aye those were the days.

He's here!
08-05-2022, 03:49 PM

As others have said it was no better against Celtic.

He's here!
08-05-2022, 03:52 PM
New footage

The fans

That's wonderful footage. Like another world, although one thing remains wonderful to this day...that glorious Hibs kit. I honestly don't think there's a kit to beat it in the history of world football. One of my oldest friends (sadly no longer with us) started supporting Hibs because of that kit.

BILLYHIBS
08-05-2022, 04:29 PM
That's wonderful footage. Like another world, although one thing remains wonderful to this day...that glorious Hibs kit. I honestly don't think there's a kit to beat it in the history of world football. One of my oldest friends (sadly no longer with us) started supporting Hibs because of that kit.

Absolutely brilliant footage and as you say from a different world and that strip truly was a thing of beauty

The fans footage really captures the times we didn’t have much money but knew how to enjoy ourselves a real social commentary

I remember going to Hampden for all the big games and you knew the game was about to start when the ball boys sprinted out of the tunnel wearing their trademark black tracksuits with white trim

No more Pipe Bands, Polis, Hampden stour or St Andrews Ambulance men for us

A bygone age

Era macaroon bars and the Wrigleys Spearmint Chewing Gum

Arth@talk
08-05-2022, 11:00 PM
Brilliant film! My second game at Hampden.
My first visit to Hampden was to see Hibs beat Rangers in the semi-final replay. I was 14.
At the final we stood on the terracing under the old North Stand. I didn't see any trouble ; surrounded by lots of Celtic fans with huge carry-outs of beer cans in poly bags. They were very kind to us as they celebrated each of the second half goals and we looked a bit glum.
The huge crowd and the mixing of fans meant you only knew what team someone supported by their reaction to a goal. Amazed by the size of the travelling Hibs support when we scored our goal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
09-05-2022, 05:06 AM
My second Hampden game. First was Scotland vs England in 68, attendance 134,000. The final felt just as packed. Remember Celtic fans throwing bottles and spitting at us. Sealed my hatred for both sides of the Old Firm.

CentreLine
09-05-2022, 07:44 AM
Can’t believe it’s 50 years. That was my first visit to Hampden as a young teenager. We went there with such optimism but it wasn’t to be. I remember being enthralled by the whole occasion, despite the result and waiters around to applaud both sides accepting their medals with good grace and sporting integrity. My brother and I were in the covered section, in what’s generally referred to as “the rangers end” (could never understand that) and I do remember bottles being thrown from Celtic fans where they would smash on the rafters above us and fall as shattered glass. Somehow it didn’t seem to affect my enjoyment of the occasion. Maybe I was just lucky enough not to be hit by glass and too naive to realise people could be injured elsewhere.
Things got better later that year but I missed that final due to being involved in the Evening News Penalty Prize competition at Tynecastle that December day 😖. I got pelted with coins because I wore my Hibs strip in goals. Didn’t even have the good sense to pick up the money 😡

Bobo
09-05-2022, 08:21 AM

Would be great to see the team play in that strip next season to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Tornadoes League cup victory, I think shirt sales would easily exceed any previous records.

Currie Hibbie
09-05-2022, 09:28 AM
I could be wrong but I recall Middle of the Road provided the before kick-off "entertainment". Their "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" song was number one sometime that year. Me and my pal Graham MacPherson were both on the perimeter track when the fighting started. Got special train to and from Kings Park station. When Hibs won the League Cup not long after the Celtic fans beside us were full of praise. Managed to get in a photograph taken at the Barmoral Hotel by the Evening News. Still have a copy somewhere. Can't believe it's 50 years ago.

AndyM_1875
09-05-2022, 10:04 AM
My old man went with his Jambo pal to that final. Both of them said that the Celtic fans behaved like animals and both had a lifelong disgust at either side of the Old Firm's fans.
Funnily enough they also went when Hearts were in the final in 1976 and when we were there in 1979. At all of the finals the weegies behaved appallingly. But football then was absolutely primal and brutal, a different era.

BILLYHIBS
09-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Attended the Rangers v Hearts Final in 1976 with some jambo mates

The fighting was unreal

Witnessed Huns throwing a jambo off a bridge from our bus

They truly are animals

Rangers scored before 3pm that day

gbhibby
09-05-2022, 11:20 AM
Attended the Rangers v Hearts Final in 1976 with some jambo mates

The fighting was unreal

Witnessed Huns throwing a jambo off a bridge from our bus

They truly are animals

Rangers scored before 3pm that day
Was at that game as well in the posh seats in the Centre stand with some jambo mates,
fights in the centre stand as well.The fighting on the East terracing was some of the worst I have seen.The Hearts fans were in the middle of Rangers fans with no escape some of them took a right beating.