PDA

View Full Version : Ian Gordon

AugustaHibs
02-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Please for the love of god get out our club you complete diddy.

HendoDelivered
02-05-2022, 08:41 PM

Take yer auld da with you 👍🏼

CL0762
02-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Yup. It was already a mess before this Mueller news.

Nothing will change on the pitch, regardless of who’s in the dugout if IG has any part whatsoever to play one the recruitment.

We need an experienced, knowledgable DoF/Sporting director heading the recruitment team.

Not the owners bored son who has absolutely ZERO experience in this whatsoever.

Vault Boy
02-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Qualified staff in key roles pls

overdrive
02-05-2022, 08:43 PM
I have no faith in his leadership of the recruitment department at all. I think Mueller’s signing was his “baby”. A damning indictment if it’s true that he’s away already.

bingo70
02-05-2022, 08:44 PM
Jesus, we’ve had one bad season.

What a bunch of spoilt brats our supporters have become.

bigwheel
02-05-2022, 08:45 PM

Is he qualified to do the role he is doing ?? seems a fair criticism to me …has had a terrible
Impact in the club so far …

AugustaHibs
02-05-2022, 08:45 PM

So you are happy with the owners totally inadequate son picking our signings?

Wouldn’t know a footballer if one hit him in the puss

Lago
02-05-2022, 08:46 PM

New to grow up and quickly.

04Sauzee
02-05-2022, 08:47 PM

We really need a like button 😁

May21/05/16
02-05-2022, 08:47 PM

What a bunch of spoilt brats our supporters have become.Agreed

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Johnny_Leith
02-05-2022, 08:48 PM

The managers have final say on signings, apparently.

Dmas
02-05-2022, 08:49 PM

Well said Bingo

Alfred E Newman

Spoilt. That’s the best one yet.

SlickShoes
Remember the bad season is the fault of the Gordon family, the good season was because of our lord and saviour Jack Ross, nothing to do with the Gordon’s.

hibee1875
02-05-2022, 08:50 PM
Can we wait and see if mueller actually goes and the reason for it before crap like this?

If it’s to the MLS it’s suggests he’s homesick and has asked for it himself. What’s the club meant to do about that?

bingo70
02-05-2022, 08:51 PM
Spoilt. That’s the best one yet.

Aye, well that’s maybe a fair point 😂

Callum_62
02-05-2022, 08:51 PM
Another cracker

We Will have nowt left by Christmas at this rate!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Unseen work
02-05-2022, 08:52 PM
I’m not going to criticise him for Mueller.

It looks a really good signing on paper and we got him for free, if he moves on for free then we’re saving X amount of years worth of his wages as you would imagine that’s the agreement.

Some work, some don’t.

I don’t think we can really criticise him for that especially when it could be down to mueller and his family not settling and wanting to move.

bingo70
02-05-2022, 08:55 PM

Im happy to take the owner at face value as what he says makes complete sense to me.

There’s a team of geeks that are studying software that scouts players. Ian Gordon effectively manages these geeks and presents options to the manager who then decide if they want to sign players or not.

The owner has put millions into buying the club, having a family member involved somewhere in the day to day running of the club makes complete sense and not the big deal many are making it out to be IMO.

bigwheel
02-05-2022, 08:57 PM
I’m not critical about the Mueller thing - but it’s an example of the poor work that is going on from him and those around him. our recruitment performance during the time since he has arrived has been very poor ..numbers in, but quality down - the exact opposite of the stated strategy . Others have been emptied for less .

BroxburnHibee
02-05-2022, 08:57 PM

I don't understand what you mean by that Bingo? Spoilt? Never as a Hibs fan have I felt spoilt.

bingo70
02-05-2022, 08:59 PM
I don't understand what you mean by that Bingo? Spoilt? Never as a Hibs fan have I felt spoilt.

I just mean the hysterical reaction to the owner and recruitment department because of a bad season.

18Craig75
02-05-2022, 09:03 PM
On balance I think you’re right. However, the way the club announced this, or rather didn’t announce it, has made the whole thing seem a bit shady. The PR side of it should’ve been handled far better than it has.

Another point; IG is on a hiding to nothing, because the role hasn’t been clearly defined and I think the lines of where his responsibility stops and starts are blurred. If there was a director of football/sporting director/head of football ops etc etc then at least we’d know who the figure point for the whole football side of things was, who they reported to and more importantly who reported to them!

hibee-boys
Im happy to take the owner at face value as what he says makes complete sense to me.

There’s a team of geeks that are studying software that scouts players. Ian Gordon effectively manages these geeks and presents options to the manager who then decide if they want to sign players or not.

The owner has put millions into buying the club, having a family member involved somewhere in the day to day running of the club makes complete sense and not the big deal many are making it out to be IMO.

Exactly, unfortunately this place is turning more like Twitter every day🙄

Pretty Boy
I'm actually surprised how easy a ride the Gordons are getting. Those of us who are critical of them are a tiny, albeit an admittedly noisy, minority.

I'm genuinely concerned. Some comments about increased revenue, with no real qualification as to any additional costs accumulated to bring about that increase, doesn't deflect from the shambles I am watching play out on the football side almost daily at the moment.

Chris Mueller packing up after 6 months and leaving is in itself no big deal. Add it to all the other ***** we have put up with this season and it suggests the people making big decisions don't know their arse from their elbow.

Barney McGrew
02-05-2022, 09:04 PM
I just mean the hysterical reaction to the owner and recruitment department because of a bad season.

I”d hardly say it’s hysterical - we’ve had two windows of the Gordon regime and both have been an utter shambles. We’ve binned two managers in four months, lost good people that have been with the club for years, got rid of a respected goalkeeping coach and replaced him with someone utterly out his depth that lasted a matter of weeks. And that’s just some of it.

Its entirely reasonable that they should start to get seriously questioned on how they are running our club right now, because it’s an absolute shambles.

CL0762
02-05-2022, 09:07 PM

If that’s what you want to believe, then more fool you.

bingo70
02-05-2022, 09:09 PM
If that’s what you want to believe, then more fool you.

What part is wrong? Ian Gordon is signing players without the manager approving it?

Barney McGrew
02-05-2022, 09:12 PM
What part is wrong? Ian Gordon is signing players without the manager approving it?

We don’t have a manager right now, and someone is making decisions on players. And it’s not David Gray.

jeffers
02-05-2022, 09:12 PM

I’m not convinced the manager has the final say that they have been suggesting is the case.

CB Hibs 68
02-05-2022, 09:14 PM
I”d hardly say it’s hysterical - we’ve had two windows of the Gordon regime and both have been an utter shambles. We’ve binned two managers in four months, lost good people that have been with the club for years, got rid of a respected goalkeeping coach and replaced him with someone utterly out his depth that lasted a matter of weeks. And that’s just some of it.

Its entirely reasonable that they should start to get seriously questioned on how they are running our club right now, because it’s an absolute shambles.
Yup totally correct the club is an omni shambles right now.No point in burying our heads in the sand and pretending all is okay when clearly it isn’t.God knows who will be appointed as manager but whoever it is has a massive job on their hands to turn our fortunes around.

Unseen work
Celtic just appointed Lawell’s son as head of recruitment…

Heisenberg
I’m not convinced the manager has the final say that they have been suggesting is the case.

If that’s true then there can’t be a lot of managers willing to sign up to take the job.

Pretty Boy

I'm not sure who has the final say.

Ian Gordon isn't some administration manager overseeing a team though. He is actively involved in identifying and recruiting players. If Ron Gordon says otherwise then he's lying.

CL0762
02-05-2022, 09:16 PM

What manager have we got to be making decisions on players at present?

Ian Gordon’s role is far more than ‘managing a team of geeks’.

If not, then why on earth is he with the CEO interviewing managerial candidates?

bigwheel
02-05-2022, 09:16 PM
Celtic just appointed Lawell’s son as head of recruitment…

Yep. Looks a good appointment , years of experience in related roles with Man City and others …it’s never been clear what Ian Gordon’s Credentials for our role are ?

Scotty Leither
02-05-2022, 09:18 PM
I'm actually surprised how easy a ride the Gordons are getting. Those of us who are critical of them are a tiny, albeit an admittedly noisy, minority.

I'm genuinely concerned. Some comments about increased revenue, with no real qualification as to any additional costs accumulated to bring about that increase, doesn't deflect from the shambles I am watching play out on the football side almost daily at the moment.

Chris Mueller packing up after 6 months and leaving is in itself no big deal. Add it to all the other ***** we have put up with this season and it suggests the people making big decisions don't know their arse from their elbow.

Spot-on. They'll not be being challenged about anything by the nodding dugs in the Boardroom either, that's for sure.

So far under his laddie's tenure as HEAD of Recruitment we've brought in two players from the States on a trial that have been packed off again as they weren't up to it, sacked the goalkeeping coach who no-one had heard of and was here for about two minutes, and now their marquee import looks like he's had enough/been deemed not good enough either...

And some on here still thinks the manager has full say on who we bring in?

Smelt the Americano coffee yet, boys and girls?

bigwheel

He’s not just an administrator though. It was reported that he personally recommended and scouted Mueller for example . And JR then persuaded him to join us ..so endorsed the signing . But it didn’t come from a set of “geeks”. He is much more involved than you suggest .

bingo70
What manager have we got to be making decisions on players at present?

Ian Gordon’s role is far more than ‘managing a team of geeks’.

If not, then why on earth is he with the CEO interviewing managerial candidates?

We’ve not signed anyone have we?

He’s a senior member of the recruitment team, of course he’s going to be involved in the recruitment of the manager?

Gordy M
02-05-2022, 09:20 PM
Spot-on. They'll not be being challenged about anything by the nodding dugs in the Boardroom either, that's for sure.

So far under his laddie's tenure as HEAD of Recruitment we've brought in two players from the States on a trial that have been packed off again as they weren't up to it, sacked the goalkeeping coach who no-one had heard of and was here for about two minutes, and now their marquee import looks like he's had enough/been deemed not good enough either...

Let me know the recruiting team that have 100% success in signings......il wait.

B.H.F.C
If that’s true then there can’t be a lot of managers willing to sign up to take the job.

The actual set up itself doesn’t concern me. I don’t think its really any different to the way most clubs operate these days.

Whether the guy heading it all up is at all competent or qualified to do so is a totally different question and I think we’d all come up with a pretty similar answer.

Nicho87
You can’t criticise our future owner like that …..

jeffers

Ian Gordon isn't some administration manager overseeing a team though. He is actively involved in identifying and recruiting players. If Ron Gordon says otherwise then he's lying.

I’ve heard the same.

I’m sure I read something attributed to Kensell suggesting that the manager was part of the decision making process but didn’t have the final say.

Callum_62
, sacked the goalkeeping coach who no-one had heard of and was here for about two minutes, and now their marquee import looks like he's had enough/been deemed not good enough either...

The former US international played with our Manager at Chicago Fire and in 2008 was named as the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year.

On the appointment, Maloney told Hibs TV: “He brings energy. He’s very, very passionate about goalkeeping and had a tremendous career in the MLS.

“When I got the job, Jon was immediately one that I wanted to bring in and one I thought that long-term would be brilliant for the club. He was also desperate to come in.

“After a few weeks, we managed to get him here, which I was really happy about. I also want to thank Craig (Samson) for all the work he did with me.”

Heisenberg

The goalkeeping coach was brought in by Shaun Maloney. They played together at Chicago Fire. Clearing the decks for the new manager and their chosen staff.

CL0762
02-05-2022, 09:21 PM
We’ve not signed anyone have we?

He’s a senior member of the recruitment team, of course he’s going to be involved in the recruitment of the manager?

Recruitment isn’t solely about players coming in though, is it? What manager is giving the okay to mueller leaving?

So he’s went from ‘managing a team of geeks’ to ‘senior member of the recruitment team’.

He’s qualified to do absolutely neither of those roles.

Ian Gordon is playing real life football manager and being allowed to do so by our owner who conveniently, is his father.

Alex Trager
02-05-2022, 09:22 PM

Are you holding a recruitment team to ransom, with one of your points being two trialists that have failed?

Jim44
02-05-2022, 09:22 PM

:agree: 100%.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2022, 09:23 PM
The former US international played with our Manager at Chicago Fire and in 2008 was named as the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year.

On the appointment, Maloney told Hibs TV: “He brings energy. He’s very, very passionate about goalkeeping and had a tremendous career in the MLS.

“When I got the job, Jon was immediately one that I wanted to bring in and one I thought that long-term would be brilliant for the club. He was also desperate to come in.

“After a few weeks, we managed to get him here, which I was really happy about. I also want to thank Craig (Samson) for all the work he did with me.”

Just a pity no one on our data driven recruitment team remembered to check he had the required qualifications for the role......

Stokesy's on fire
02-05-2022, 09:24 PM

How long have you supported Hibs? We have had more nad seasons than good in my lifetime!

bigwheel
02-05-2022, 09:25 PM
Just a pity no one on our data driven recruitment team remembered to check he had the required qualifications for the role......

We also lost Samson to bring this guy in - he was highly thought of at the club - another disappointing exit …

CB Hibs 68
02-05-2022, 09:26 PM
Let me know the recruiting team that have 100% success in signings......il wait.
Fair point.Be interested to know what you think our current recruitment success rate is sitting at.

HendoDelivered
02-05-2022, 09:27 PM

This.

Barney McGrew
02-05-2022, 09:29 PM
The more I think about what is going on, the more amazed I am that RG and Co are getting off Scott free like Pretty Boy has already said.

We’re in absolute freefall, on and off the park, our current form is proper relegation material and there is absolutely zero that the new regime has done that suggests they have any clue what to do to arrest it.

If this was happening in the days of Petrie there would be pitchforks getting sharpened.

Coco Bryce
02-05-2022, 09:30 PM

Aye we're spoilt right enough 😂

Gordy M
02-05-2022, 09:30 PM
Fair point.Be interested to know what you think our current recruitment success rate is sitting at.

Id need to go through the lists of who was signed by this recruitment team. I actually dont think any of the Jan signings were terrible and some were signed to bulk up the squad and never intended for regular 1st team, bit then we were absolutely ravaged by injuries which sqewed the whole policy imo.

Callum_62
02-05-2022, 09:32 PM
Just a pity no one on our data driven recruitment team remembered to check he had the required qualifications for the role......The manager wanted him. Not as the orginal poster I replied to suggested

Scotty Leither
02-05-2022, 09:36 PM

You'll wait a while for this lot to come up with any signings that aren't either cheap or untried loanees.

You'll wait even longer for anyone at Easter Road to tell you the exact parameters of his laddie's role, either.

Gordy M
02-05-2022, 09:39 PM
You'll wait a while for this lot to come up with any signings that aren't either cheap or untried loanees.

You'll wait even longer for anyone at Easter Road to tell you the exact parameters of his laddie's role, either.

Ah so you cant then......got you. Did we not pay a fee for Merkleson?

Smartie
02-05-2022, 09:40 PM
I’m as pissed off as everyone else but it feels just a little bit too convenient to have a scapegoat like this right now.

ancient hibee
I’ve heard the same.

I’m sure I read something attributed to Kensell suggesting that the manager was part of the decision making process but didn’t have the final say.
And I’m sure I heard Maloney saying(and also read it)that no player would be signed that he didn’t approve.

JimBHibees

Tend to agree outlined clearly as a relatively low level facilitator role. Not sure the great angst over this. Coach will sign off who comes in.

JimBHibees
02-05-2022, 09:41 PM
I’m as pissed off as everyone else but it feels just a little bit too convenient to have a scapegoat like this right now.

Agree unfair imo

Scotty Leither
02-05-2022, 09:41 PM
Are you holding a recruitment team to ransom, with one of your points being two trialists that have failed?

No, because if I took any of the recruitment team hostage I'd have to pay the ransom fee to hand them back, which isn't quite how it's supposed to work I think.

Sioux
02-05-2022, 09:42 PM

How do you know?

bigwheel

You’re right…it goes much deeper than this appointment….from board appointments to CEO, to management decisions , sponsorships and transfer business…it’s all seems nowhere near the standard required….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBHibees

Why? Both managers this season have said this is the case.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2022, 10:06 PM
How do you know?

Because like any workplace people who work for Hibs talk about their job and employer outside the office.

I'm 100% certain I'm not the only person who has been told this either.

JimBHibees
03-05-2022, 06:08 AM
Because like any workplace people who work for Hibs talk about their job and employer outside the office.

I'm 100% certain I'm not the only person who has been told this either.

What do you mean by actively involved in identifying and recruiting players? Coach asks for a list of right backs we can afford he and his team use the software most clubs use to provide with a list of players we may be interested in. Coach looks at list and gets them to look at availability etc of players he may be aware of personally e.g Ewan Henderson. Struggling to understand what the real issue appears to be that won't happen at other clubs. Agree we need more of a football person in a more overseeing role especially given the absentee owner and what appears to be lack of experience in other roles CEO ? however not altogether sure I see Ian Gordon's role in particular as being a huge issue if coach has input and ultimately decides who we sign assuming commercials are what club can afford.

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-05-2022, 06:29 AM

This :agree:

CL0762
03-05-2022, 06:43 AM
What do you mean by actively involved in identifying and recruiting players? Coach asks for a list of right backs we can afford he and his team use the software most clubs use to provide with a list of players we may be interested in. Coach looks at list and gets them to look at availability etc of players he may be aware of personally e.g Ewan Henderson. Struggling to understand what the real issue appears to be that won't happen at other clubs. Agree we need more of a football person in a more overseeing role especially given the absentee owner and what appears to be lack of experience in other roles CEO ? however not altogether sure I see Ian Gordon's role in particular as being a huge issue if coach has input and ultimately decides who we sign assuming commercials are what club can afford.

Ian Gordon repeatedly said no in the summer to us signing McCart.

Mathie & Ross wanted him and made that clear. Our ‘head of recruitment’ said no.

That alone tells you it’s not ‘managers asks for position, analysts provide a list and manager picks’.

JohnM1875
03-05-2022, 06:46 AM

Mathie & Ross wanted him and made that clear. Our ‘head of recruitment’ said no.

That alone tells you it’s not ‘managers asks for position, analysts provide a list and manager picks’.

We had bids rejected for McCart.

Heisenberg
03-05-2022, 06:47 AM

We tried to sign him several times and he was too expensive. Right decision made (whoever it was made by) by the looks of it. Had a horrific season for them. Shame the backup plan was Nathan Wood, who I’m sure I read on here was a Ben Kensell shout.

CL0762
03-05-2022, 06:50 AM
I wouldn’t believe everything you read in the paper.

Mccart was vetoed in the end by Gordon and Wood was recommended by Kensell.

Heisenberg
03-05-2022, 06:53 AM

I also don’t believe everything I read on here. The bids were reported everywhere, from local St Johnstone journalists to the EEN. The St Johnstone manager even confirmed it.

If he was ruled out eventually then I assume it was due to price, which is more than fair. Dodged a bullet not paying the £400k they wanted. I just don’t believe Ian Gordon has the power to decide that on his own over the manager/Mathie.

lucky
03-05-2022, 06:54 AM
Ian Gordon has become a hate figure based on not a lot of fact. The Gordon’s have put more money into Hibs than anyone in our history (including STF) but it appears they are fair game for anyone to have a pop at because this season has been rank. There needs to be change at Hibs and spas fans we need to feel listened too, that starts with the pricing structure at games. Kensell seems to be into lots of small sponsorship deals and gimmicks but Hibs just don’t seem to going in the right direction under his management. Hibs send out more emails trying to flog stuff than even Man Utd. Hibs are not ever going to be a money making cash cow like an American sports franchise and I hope the Gordon’s and Kensell realise this.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 06:55 AM

Callum Davidson openly spoke about it…it clearly happened..

CL0762
03-05-2022, 06:58 AM
I’m not saying the bids didn’t happen.

McCart was vetoed by others and not the management (and Mathie) at the time and it wasn’t for money reasons either.

Alex Trager
03-05-2022, 07:00 AM
No, because if I took any of the recruitment team hostage I'd have to pay the ransom fee to hand them back, which isn't quite how it's supposed to work I think.

Indeed. You’d have to pay to hand this lot back though ae?

In all seriousness, that particular point and indeed any point about transfers could absolutely be levelled at every recruitment team in the world.

These guys have had one window, I think we should wait and see what the next one or two brings.

Since452
03-05-2022, 07:00 AM
He and Kensell have a managerial appointment and a summer window to convince me that they are up to it.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 07:03 AM

McCart was vetoed by others and not the management (and Mathie) at the time and it wasn’t for money reasons either.

Can you explain your views further ? Because at the moment it’s reading like ..Gordon wasn’t going to sign him, but we bid for him….

Heisenberg
03-05-2022, 07:04 AM
He and Kensell have a managerial appointment and a summer window to convince me that they are up to it.

Pretty much where I am. I’m massively uncomfortable with the roles both of them have on the football side but seems they aren’t going anywhere soon. Big summer ahead.

degenerated
03-05-2022, 07:08 AM

McCart was vetoed by others and not the management (and Mathie) at the time and it wasn’t for money reasons either.So the management wanted us to sign McCart and the guy who we are being led to believe has the final say on signings vetoed it but yet we made numerous confirmed bids for the player.

easty
03-05-2022, 07:21 AM
So the management wanted us to sign McCart and the guy who we are being led to believe has the final say on signings vetoed it but yet we made numerous confirmed bids for the player.

We definitely bid for him. That’s clear. St Johnstone wanted more than we were willing to pay. The guys had an absolutely ***** season tae, so I’d argue that the board got this one right, by not paying over what we valued him at.

tonyrougier123
03-05-2022, 07:26 AM
We definitely bid for him. That’s clear. St Johnstone wanted more than we were willing to pay. The guys had an absolutely ***** season tae, so I’d argue that the board got this one right, by not paying over what we valued him at.

Kerr was always the better option,we should’ve pushed boat out for him last summer.
Pretty sure we then got that laddie on loan from boro,and Ross played Daz over him.
That in itself tells a story.
Love Daz mcgregor still has something to offer but it was a position of real concern last summer for me.

CL0762
03-05-2022, 07:28 AM
Can you explain your views further ? Because at the moment it’s reading like ..Gordon wasn’t going to sign him, but we bid for him….

Mathie & Ross wanted McCart and several bids were made.

Ultimately, Ian Gordon said no because he didn’t believe McCart was worth what St Johnstone wanted.

So the ‘head of recruitment’ vetoed a signing because he didn’t believe McCart was good enough for the fee St Johnstone wanted.

What are his credentials to determine whether a player is good enough or not?

degenerated
03-05-2022, 07:28 AM
We definitely bid for him. That’s clear. St Johnstone wanted more than we were willing to pay. The guys had an absolutely ***** season tae, so I’d argue that the board got this one right, by not paying over what we valued him at.I agree, I never thought he was any good anyway.
I was more trying to understand the logic that apparently Ian Gordon has absolute power in recruitment and didn't want a player which the management team did and yet we seemed fairly keen to get him. It seems a self defeating line of argument.

easty
03-05-2022, 07:36 AM
Kerr was always the better option,we should’ve pushed boat out for him last summer.
Pretty sure we then got that laddie on loan from boro,and Ross played Daz over him.
That in itself tells a story.
Love Daz mcgregor still has something to offer but it was a position of real concern last summer for me.

We absolutely needed a centre half last summer, and Nathan Wood was the wrong signing. Kerr would’ve been good but Wigan are probably paying him more than we could, he’s won the league and he’ll be playing in the championship next season, he’ll be happy with his decision.

easty
03-05-2022, 07:37 AM

Ultimately, Ian Gordon said no because he didn’t believe McCart was worth what St Johnstone wanted.

So the ‘head of recruitment’ vetoed a signing because he didn’t believe McCart was good enough for the fee St Johnstone wanted.

Doesn’t the fact that McCart has looked utter humpty this season show he was right on this one?

Broken Gnome
03-05-2022, 07:38 AM
I agree, I never thought he was any good anyway.
I was more trying to understand the logic that apparently Ian Gordon has absolute power in recruitment and didn't want a player which the management team did and yet we seemed fairly keen to get him. It seems a self defeating line of argument.

Gordon refusing to up the bid to Saints' acceptable level plays within that scenario.

I don't think anyone on here wanted Hibs paying anywhere near over the odds for Jamie McCart, IIRC.

degenerated
03-05-2022, 07:40 AM
Gordon refusing to up the bid to Saints' acceptable level plays within that scenario.

I don't think anyone on here wanted Hibs paying anywhere near over the odds for Jamie McCart, IIRC.If that's the case then he called it right.

easty
03-05-2022, 07:41 AM
I agree, I never thought he was any good anyway.

We did want McCart, and tried to get him, but only at the right price. Every player has a value, to the team he belongs to and to the team trying to buy them.

Hibs not signing McCart is about not agreeing a price, not about Ian Gordon deciding he wasn’t a player.

Stubbsy90+2
03-05-2022, 07:43 AM
Doesn’t the fact that McCart has looked utter humpty this season show he was right on this one?

:agree:

We had a couple of bids knocked back and I’d hazard a guess they weren’t £50k or so. They’d have most likely been a couple hundred grand.

He’s a terrible player and if Ian Gordon has put his foot down and said he’s not worth it then he’s done the right thing because a significant fee for McCart would have been money poorly spent whether Mathie and Ross wanted him or not.

degenerated
03-05-2022, 07:43 AM
We did want McCart, and tried to get him, but only at the right price. Every player has a value, to the team he belongs to and to the team trying to buy them.

Hibs not signing McCart is about not agreeing a price, not about Ian Gordon deciding he wasn’t a player.According to the poster who brought this up it was vetoed by Ian Gordon and it wasn't about money.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 07:44 AM
If qualifying out of the McCart signing is true - because of price - then fair enough ..what is more troubling is that we the. signed Wood and Rocky instead . Both of them nowhere near the level we need , and way below McCart. Turned out to really hurt us as we have McGinn Porto and Hanlon all out for periods ..weakened our team a lot .

Stubbsy90+2
03-05-2022, 07:45 AM
According to the poster who brought this up it was vetoed by Ian Gordon and it wasn't about money.

That doesn’t really tally up with the fact we did put bids in for him though.

degenerated
03-05-2022, 07:45 AM
That doesn’t really tally up with the fact we did put bids in for him though.That's why I was a bit confused

Heisenberg
03-05-2022, 07:48 AM

If that’s true, which I doubt, then he was spot on. Whether he is qualified to make those decisions regularly is a different story but he got that right.

Ron Gordon has brought all of this on himself by not being open about his son joining the club and then when he did appear on the directory there was no communication about his role or what he’d be doing. A total mess.

tonyrougier123
03-05-2022, 07:50 AM
We absolutely needed a centre half last summer, and Nathan Wood was the wrong signing. Kerr would’ve been good but Wigan are probably paying him more than we could, he’s won the league and he’ll be playing in the championship next season, he’ll be happy with his decision.

He’s been a big part of their team.
Wigan were loaning Tom James from us not so long ago because of financial restrictions that was thier ball park.
It’s these crucial players we need to be having a better go at.
Hibs fan tae.
Even if it never was to be we have to be in for the real winners before they end up out of our range.

Libby Hibby
03-05-2022, 07:57 AM

Bang on Bingo

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 07:58 AM
If that’s true, which I doubt, then he was spot on. Whether he is qualified to make those decisions regularly is a different story but he got that right.

Ron Gordon has brought all of this on himself by not being open about his son joining the club and then when he did appear on the directory there was no communication about his role or what he’d be doing. A total mess.

This example is one of the “off tone” actions that whilst smallish, gives me an unease around the ownership . Ian Gordon has never been formally announced . He has since been talked about , but there’s never been a press release discussing his role and why he’s a good appointment. It gets worse. He was put on the official website . Then when some discussion happened about it , disappeared from the website , and eventually reappeared - again without communication . It’s never been explained his credentials (other than nepotism) for the role . I’ve actually heard he does have some credentials - so I’m expecting it to be helpful for him - but it’s never been made clear .

There are a number of moments like this under RGs current ownership . This is a high profile one . It’s almost as if they think “we don’t have to explain ourselves to the fans” at times . They don’t of course , but naturally it breeds mistrust and poses questions as a result.

Brightside
03-05-2022, 08:00 AM

It’s true.

Heisenberg
03-05-2022, 08:06 AM
It’s true.

Well fair play, he called it right then.

Greenio
03-05-2022, 08:09 AM

Do we actually know IG vetoed it? I mean facts

Since452
03-05-2022, 08:12 AM

This. He's not a good player. Whoever vetoed it (if they did) were right to do so.

CL0762
03-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Do we actually know IG vetoed it? I mean facts

I believe the info I’ve been told, I’ve no reason to believe it’s lies.

I’m not wanting to argue with people, we all want what’s best for the club and I’m just passing on what I’ve been told.

Regardless of whether McCart has had a ***** season or not, the fact that Ian Gordon is either giving the okay or not to potential signings is worrying given he has absolutely no credentials for this whatsoever.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 08:26 AM
I believe the info I’ve been told, I’ve no reason to believe it’s lies.

I’m not wanting to argue with people, we all want what’s best for the club and I’m just passing on what I’ve been told.

Regardless of whether McCart has had a ***** season or not, the fact that Ian Gordon is either giving the okay or not to potential signings is worrying given he has absolutely no credentials for this whatsoever.

Don’t think this is abnormal in any way - he’s the voice of the owner on a day to day basis ..he will have the mandate to veto transfers if they don’t agree with the value

Brightside
03-05-2022, 08:34 AM
Don’t think this is abnormal in any way - he’s the voice of the owner on a day to day basis ..he will have the mandate to veto transfers if they don’t agree with the value

Is the CEO not the voice of the owner?

Dmas
03-05-2022, 08:35 AM

He has clarified Ian’s position more than once since, he told us Ian’s role was to check the affordability of targets identified…this falls into that category and as u say thank god he did as he’s pony

Greenworld
03-05-2022, 09:04 AM
The managers have final say on signings, apparently.Yes thats true the problem is the manager might not be able to persuade the transfer commitee that player he wants is right for the club.
What a completely ridiculous situation managers are getting sacked for player performances that a commitee is deciding are right for the club .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 09:14 AM
Is the CEO not the voice of the owner?

In a purist world yes, but when you are the owners son , those boundaries are a bit more fluid ..and there’s lots of messages from within the club that IG has a lot of influence . Apparently a nice guy tbf ..but holds a lot of authority ..

Since452
03-05-2022, 09:21 AM
In a purist world yes, but when you are the owners son , those boundaries are a bit more fluid ..and there’s lots of messages from within the club that IG has a lot of influence . Apparently a nice guy tbf ..but holds a lot of authority ..

I'd say so. Ron has got him looking for a new manager with Kensell. I was of the belief he was overseeing the player recruitment department? His position seems to be growing arms and legs. Did Ian Gordon have a part to play in appointing Maloney too? I can't remember his name being linked with the process. It's looking to me as if Ron will eventually pass the running of the club down to Ian. Seems to have his hand in everything.

flash
03-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Amazing that we have so many people with detailed knowledge of the inner workings of the club yet nobody can actually tell us who we have interviewed for the manager's job.
This forum is absolutely hooching with self indulgent fantasists these days.

MrRobot
03-05-2022, 09:27 AM
I’m not going to criticise him for Mueller.

It looks a really good signing on paper and we got him for free, if he moves on for free then we’re saving X amount of years worth of his wages as you would imagine that’s the agreement.

Some work, some don’t.

I don’t think we can really criticise him for that especially when it could be down to mueller and his family not settling and wanting to move.

the only issue is it has cost us to a degree in terms of wages already paid and any potential signing on fee. i hope we can recoup something rather than simply a free.

it’s a shame cause he seemed an exciting signing.

CB Hibs 68
03-05-2022, 09:29 AM
I'd say so. Ron has got him looking for a new manager with Kensell. I was of the belief he was overseeing the player recruitment department? His position seems to be growing arms and legs. Did Ian Gordon have a part to play in appointing Maloney too? I can't remember his name being linked with the process. It's looking to me as if Ron will eventually pass the running of the club down to Ian. Seems to have his hand in everything.
God help us if that is true.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 09:34 AM

Yes. Was part of the process for Maloney too

Ray_
03-05-2022, 09:39 AM
To be honest, no difference to when Rod Petrie came in and he was making [a hash] of those decisions.

Since452
03-05-2022, 09:42 AM
Yes. Was part of the process for Maloney too

Fair enough. Didn't realise that.

SlickShoes
03-05-2022, 09:43 AM
When employing someone, there is usually always a panel or committee, you don't just interview with the direct boss and that's it. So the fact that more than one person is involved in vetting and interviewing staff isn't exactly shocking, it is completely normal.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 09:45 AM
To be honest, no difference to when Rod Petrie came in and he was making [a hash] of those decisions.

There’s some truth in that - after many years of making mistakes, Petrie learned and set up the structure of CEO, football director etc ..which brought organisation and progress to the chaos ..it has since been dismantled . Bringing about a change of style every time we get a new manager ….

Will our current owner learn quickly ??

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2022, 09:46 AM

Aye, but at least he was doing good work in terms of infrastructure and reducing debt. Ron has no such excuse

SlickShoes
03-05-2022, 09:59 AM
Aye, but at least he was doing good work in terms of infrastructure and reducing debt. Ron has no such excuse

Like increasing revenue as a whole and starting to work on the stadium again which had all but been abandoned since we were relegated?

Ron is also the owner, Petrie was not so the comparison between the two makes no sense.

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 10:19 AM
Like increasing revenue as a whole and starting to work on the stadium again which had all but been abandoned since we were relegated?

Ron is also the owner, Petrie was not so the comparison between the two makes no sense.

Tbf Petrie was acting as Farmer ..he was in effect playing the role of owner ..

JimBHibees
03-05-2022, 10:46 AM
Amazing that we have so many people with detailed knowledge of the inner workings of the club yet nobody can actually tell us who we have interviewed for the manager's job.

:greengrin

04Sauzee
03-05-2022, 10:50 AM
They are just normal men
They are just innocent men

hibby rae
03-05-2022, 11:04 AM
First to wear the green....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61302607

Lago
03-05-2022, 11:05 AM
Tbf Petrie was acting as Farmer ..he was in effect playing the role of owner ..
Without the ultimate financial responsibility. Also interestingly I see Celtic have appointed Mark Lawwell, son of Peter, as Head of scouting and recruitment, obviously following Hibs lead 🤔

bigwheel
03-05-2022, 11:10 AM
Without the ultimate financial responsibility. Also interestingly I see Celtic have appointed Mark Lawwell, son of Peter, as Head of scouting and recruitment, obviously following Hibs lead [emoji848]

He had de facto financial responsibility - wasn’t all his money of course. He owned about 10 percent of the club

Looks a good appointment that - strong track record in similar roles - previously with Man City

Interesting that they have announced it and shared his credentials for the role . Maybe we can follow them on that?

Lago
03-05-2022, 11:23 AM
He had de facto financial responsibility - wasn’t all his money of course. He owned about 10 percent of the club

Looks a good appointment that - strong track record in similar roles - previously with Man City

Interesting that they have announced it and shared his credentials for the role . Maybe we can follow them on that?
Yes agree, at least a brief c v to support high profile appointments would be welcome.

tamig
03-05-2022, 11:24 AM

Do you know what Ian Gordon’s remit is and what he actually does? Or are you jumping to conclusions based on a job title?

matty_f
03-05-2022, 11:29 AM

Melkersen wasn’t cheap. McKay and Tait weren’t either, nor was Mueller, nor Boyle when he was recontracted, we paid a fee for Haig as well.

Can challenge whether the money was well spent, but throwing accusations about cheap signings isn’t fair.

matty_f
03-05-2022, 11:31 AM
We tried to sign him several times and he was too expensive. Right decision made (whoever it was made by) by the looks of it. Had a horrific season for them. Shame the backup plan was Nathan Wood, who I’m sure I read on here was a Ben Kensell shout.

I’m told that we actually pulled out of the McCart deal not because he was too expensive but because the “transfer committee” (or members of) decided he wasn’t good enough after watching him against Galatasary.

Callum_62
03-05-2022, 11:40 AM
I’m told that we actually pulled out of the McCart deal not because he was too expensive but because the “transfer committee” (or members of) decided he wasn’t good enough after watching him against Galatasary.Thank God for that [emoji23]

Hibee Mac
03-05-2022, 11:52 AM
I’m told that we actually pulled out of the McCart deal not because he was too expensive but because the “transfer committee” (or members of) decided he wasn’t good enough after watching him against Galatasary.If that's true then I worry about our committee approach to signings.

I actually think avoiding McCart was the right call, so perhaps not the best example to back up my point, but if guys like Gordon, Kensell, Ian Gordon( is he on the committee too?) are determining whether a player is good enough then there's an issue.

They are well placed to say whether he is too expensive, if financial terms are good etc but imo they should not be calling the shots on technical ability. If they are, then that's affectively like having a few of us on the committee making judgements on players.

Vault Boy
03-05-2022, 11:54 AM
I’m told that we actually pulled out of the McCart deal not because he was too expensive but because the “transfer committee” (or members of) decided he wasn’t good enough after watching him against Galatasary.

:agree:

degenerated
03-05-2022, 11:57 AM
If that's true then I worry about our committee approach to signings.

I actually think avoiding McCart was the right call, so perhaps not the best example to back up my point, but if guys like Gordon, Kensell, Ian Gordon( is he on the committee too?) are determining whether a player is good enough then there's an issue.

They are well placed to say whether he is too expensive, if financial terms are good etc but imo they should not be calling the shots on technical ability. If they are, then that's affectively like having a few of us on the committee making judgements on players.Who is on this committee?

Turkish Green
03-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Sheesh! We all laughed at the Romanov dynasty and their conveyor belt of Lithuanians arriving at the bus shelter but they had ability (well some did anyway). The Gordons are just playing at football management.

Did STF/Petrie do due diligence before taking the Yankee $$$.

Allant1981
03-05-2022, 03:24 PM

And quite right as well, the club will have an idea of what they are willing to spend, you are just trying to cause a drama here with these posts

leithsansiro
03-05-2022, 03:33 PM
I Could be totally wrong (though i hope I'm not), but I've always been under the impression that Ian Gordon has basically a glorified admin role. As Head of Recruitment, he "oversees" scouting, contracts, negotiations, etc. He supervises the data analysis guys. He isn't the one either identifying players or suggesting players to the manager (or the wonderful transfer committee). Despite us clamouring for a fall-guy, because God Knows we need one! - I don't think he's actually doing the job that people seem to think he is.

CL0762
03-05-2022, 03:34 PM
And quite right as well, the club will have an idea of what they are willing to spend, you are just trying to cause a drama here with these posts

I’m not trying to cause a drama, far from it.

As Matty has aluded to above, this ‘committee’ pulled out of the transfer despite both Mathie and Ross wanting the player in.

In what way was IG more qualified than Jack Ross to decide if a player is good enough or not?

This just proves that the manager does not have the final say in signings.

WhileTheChief..
03-05-2022, 03:52 PM

Yup.

If they appoint the right man and sign players in the damn positions that we've been screaming out for for years, they will quickly be left alone to crack on with their jobs.

Until they do though, they deserve any flak that comes their way.

I swear to God, they better not fanny around buying players for their flipping potential. We need first team starters that can make us challenge for third.

So, get the manager in, ask him what he needs, then go out and damn well get it done. No excuses.

Hibernian Verse
03-05-2022, 03:59 PM
Yup.

If they appoint the right man and sign players in the damn positions that we've been screaming out for for years, they will quickly be left alone to crack on with their jobs.

I swear to God, they better not fanny around buying players for their flipping potential. We need first team starters that can make us challenge for third.

So, get the manager in, ask him what he needs, then go out and damn well get it done. No excuses.

We need both.

OldEast
03-05-2022, 04:02 PM
We need both.

Yes we do but don't you think we have enough young talent and potential just for now. Experience and readiness for a fight is what we need right away.

Allant1981
03-05-2022, 04:08 PM

As Matty has aluded to above, this ‘committee’ pulled out of the transfer despite both Mathie and Ross wanting the player in.

In what way was IG more qualified than Jack Ross to decide if a player is good enough or not?

I was told it was down to money rather than not wanting him so he is probably well qualified to say what money we can and cant spend

hibbyfraelibby
03-05-2022, 04:10 PM
So Lawwell's laddie is now head of recruitment at Celtic? Typical lessers following our lead.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2022, 04:44 PM
So Lawwell's laddie is now head of recruitment at Celtic? Typical lessers following our lead.

He’s got experience of it though, worked with Ange in Japan, and he wanted him at Celtic

ancient hibee
03-05-2022, 04:54 PM

You’re wrong. No player is signed unless the manager approves. Of course it doesn’t mean that the manager gets everybody he wants. That would be crazy.

Ray_
03-05-2022, 05:20 PM

It didn't start that way, which was the point, the debt was run up before there was the need to reduce it, by the reckless support of Jimmy's Duff signings, for relatively big money. Then, having paid through relegation, there was a need to fund McLeish to build a proper team, which meant we ended up with a player pool of about fifty players, most of them not good enough to contribute, except in amassing a debt of over 23M and the sale of the best bunch of young players since the late sixties was used to service the said debt.

It was like night and day when Leanne took over the role and took the club forward, with full houses into the bargain.

CB Hibs 68
03-05-2022, 05:33 PM
It didn't start that way, which was the point, the debt was run up before there was the need to reduce it, by the reckless support of Jimmy's Duff signings, for relatively big money. Then, having paid through relegation, there was a need to fund McLeish to build a proper team, which meant we ended up with a player pool of about fifty players, most of them not good enough to contribute, except in amassing a debt of over 23M and the sale of the best bunch of young players since the late sixties was used to service the said debt.

It was like night and day when Leanne took over the role and took the club forward, with full houses into the bargain.
Jeezus how much do we miss Leanne.Her leaving in retrospect was the first sign of all the changes Ron was about to implement.Maybe she had planned to leave anyway but the dismantling of the existing structure has since moved on at some pace and not positively.

Lago
03-05-2022, 06:19 PM
They did a good job then 👍

Lago
03-05-2022, 06:22 PM
If that's true then I worry about our committee approach to signings.

They are well placed to say whether he is too expensive, if financial terms are good etc but imo they should not be calling the shots on technical ability. If they are, then that's affectively like having a few of us on the committee making judgements on players.
But your ignoring the fact that Maloney was quoted as saying he had already started to talk to targets for next season. So the manager obviously has input.

Stubbsy90+2
03-05-2022, 06:30 PM
Yes we do but don't you think we have enough young talent and potential just for now. Experience and readiness for a fight is what we need right away.

Yup.

Porteous, Doig, Melkersen, Nisbet, potentially a couple coming through our youth team that are the best in the country. Hauge, the boy from Standard Liege who’s name I’ve forgot..

We’ve got a good few young guys to develop. We don’t ‘need’ anymore. We need ready made first team players to help them to develop. If these young lads are hung out to dry playing with the dross they are now then nobody will be developing to the level we want them to.

Fergos
03-05-2022, 07:23 PM
Yup.

Where I’m at. Well said.

GGTTH

NC1875
03-05-2022, 07:37 PM
I Could be totally wrong (though i hope I'm not), but I've always been under the impression that Ian Gordon has basically a glorified admin role. As Head of Recruitment, he "oversees" scouting, contracts, negotiations, etc. He supervises the data analysis guys. He isn't the one either identifying players or suggesting players to the manager (or the wonderful transfer committee). Despite us clamouring for a fall-guy, because God Knows we need one! - I don't think he's actually doing the job that people seem to think he is.

Exactly this. Laughable people think he’s responsible for everything.

NC1875
03-05-2022, 07:43 PM

Exactly this. Laughable people think he’s responsible for everything.

JimBHibees
04-05-2022, 08:24 AM

How do you even know any of this? Both Mathie and Ross have left the club and if from them have an agenda so would need to be careful what to believe imo

There would always be a commercial decision to be made in any transfer. Maybe as a club we weren't prepared to pay Saints value. They would not have wanted to lose a player on the cheap after losing Kerr and McCann in the summer.

RIP
04-05-2022, 10:46 AM
There’s some truth in that - after many years of making mistakes, Petrie learned and set up the structure of CEO, football director etc ..which brought organisation and progress to the chaos ..it has since been dismantled . Bringing about a change of style every time we get a new manager ….

Will our current owner learn quickly ??

That’s my biggest concern too BW. In many ways, the appointment of the Football Director is more crucial than the Head Coach. In turn the FD /. DofF then sources the recruitment team and Head Coach.

The team of Dempster Craig and Stubbs all demonstrated a good grasp of football management. The model was actually proposed by the Vision working group of LWT which included director Brian Houston.

It was Brian and senior fans representatives that sold the model to Rod and the rest of the board.

neil7908
05-05-2022, 07:57 AM
Reports in the Scotsman etc today suggesting he's leading with Kensall. Seems like this is guys role at the club is expanding all the time. And I'm still not sure what his credentials are to lead a recruitment team, or pick a football manager.

Since90+2
05-05-2022, 08:01 AM
Reports in the Scotsman etc today suggesting he's leading with Kensall. Seems like this is guys role at the club is expanding all the time. And I'm still not sure what his credentials are to lead a recruitment team, or pick a football manager.

I get your point and sort of agree but if it was Ron and Kensell leading on it nobody would bat an eyelid, and Ron doesn't have a great deal of knowledge in the football world either.

Heisenberg
05-05-2022, 08:03 AM

He was apparently in London with Kensell last week. Final interviews to be completed by Ron, BK and a couple of board members from what I read.

leith lynx
05-05-2022, 08:18 AM
Does Ian Gordon live permanently in Edinburgh /Scotland now?

Smartie
05-05-2022, 08:23 AM
Do you need to know about football to appoint a football person or do you need to know about appointing people?

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Ian Gordon to be perfectly honest.

neil7908
05-05-2022, 11:22 AM
Do you need to know about football to appoint a football person or do you need to know about appointing people?

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Ian Gordon to be perfectly honest.

I genuinely think the former. Running and managing a football club is hugely different from most businesses.

I don't want to single out Ian Gordon or even Ron. I am not into hounding people out of the club and I don't think either have bad intentions.

But remember when we used to take the mic out of Hearts for all the 'successful business woman' stuff about the Budge? Well it feels like we are straying into the same territory now with Ron.

Billy Whizz
05-05-2022, 11:45 AM
Does Ian Gordon live permanently in Edinburgh /Scotland now?

He’s been living in Edinburgh coming up for a year

Unseen work
05-05-2022, 11:59 AM
I think what needs to happen is Ian Gordon give an interview with Hibs tv.

Other than an episode on down the slope I’ve not heard from him.

I think an interview will ease a lot of peoples concerns if they can actually see and hear from one of the people making decisions at the club.

leith lynx
05-05-2022, 12:04 PM
He’s been living in Edinburgh coming up for a year

Thanks Billy, might be good for hibs TV to interview him as a sort of introduction to the fans/shareholders to try and debunk the 'mystery man' negativety, after all he seems to be in one of the top positions at the club, or is he?... Nobody has told us officially!

leith lynx
05-05-2022, 12:06 PM

I think an interview will ease a lot of peoples concerns if they can actually see and hear from one of the people making decisions at the club.

Great minds think alike!

Smartie
05-05-2022, 12:13 PM
I genuinely think the former. Running and managing a football club is hugely different from most businesses.

I don't want to single out Ian Gordon or even Ron. I am not into hounding people out of the club and I don't think either have bad intentions.

But remember when we used to take the mic out of Hearts for all the 'successful business woman' stuff about the Budge? Well it feels like we are straying into the same territory now with Ron.

I just wonder what the footballing credentials have been of the people who have appointed Shankly, Stein, Busby, McLean, Ferguson or Klopp over the years?

Clubs often used to be owned by local business people, now they seem to be owned by foreign despots. Whilst I know little about Ian Gordon and his suitability for this role, I’d be amazed if he was hugely inferior to those who have appointed managers before. He might even have the added bonus of being able to get into his dad’s head more easily and figure out what exactly he’s looking for.

Smartie
05-05-2022, 12:14 PM

I think that would be very useful.

Unless, of course, he’s actually a useless twat.

Heisenberg
06-05-2022, 06:15 AM
Club have clearly noted the discontent and tried to clear it up (again). I maintain it could all have been avoided if they had initially brought him in and been clear on his role. Sneaking him in quietly and not mentioning it for ages has cost them. Also doesn’t help that Kensell seems to have ****ed up properly explaining how the process works on the podcast.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-and-the-ian-gordon-saga-quashing-fans-fears-over-dangerous-dynasty-3682519

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 06:19 AM
Club have clearly noted the discontent and tried to clear it up (again). I maintain it could all have been avoided if they had initially brought him in and been clear on his role. Sneaking him in quietly and not mentioning it for ages has cost them. Also doesn’t help that Kensell seems to have ****ed up properly explaining how the process works on the podcast.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-and-the-ian-gordon-saga-quashing-fans-fears-over-dangerous-dynasty-3682519

Agree never a good idea to sneak him in and not give a clear steer on his remit. Not sure the job title helps either if the role isn't explained properly

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 06:21 AM

Agree no harm at all in that should have been done before

percy veer
06-05-2022, 07:05 AM
Some people are relentless with the ian gordon bashing , carefull what you wish for, if people were constantly hounding my son I'd get fed up and think stuff the lot of you .

degenerated
06-05-2022, 07:15 AM
Agree never a good idea to sneak him in and not give a clear steer on his remit. Not sure the job title helps either if the role isn't explained properlyI doubt it would have made any difference, they've explained numerous times now and people refuse to listen.

Brightside
06-05-2022, 07:21 AM
Some people are relentless with the ian gordon bashing , carefull what you wish for, if people were constantly hounding my son I'd get fed up and think stuff the lot of you .

Of that’s the kind of guy he is he’d be best not in control of our club. Can he not just hire people with experience? Ben K has no experience of running a football club. Ian G has no experience of running a recruitment department. Not sure why the fans are being bashed for pointing that out.

Brightside
06-05-2022, 07:23 AM
I doubt it would have made any difference, they've explained numerous times now and people refuse to listen.

Based on their explanation the recruitment department will currently be doing nothing then. I don’t think anyone believes that. So who is deciding what positions are priority for Hibs right now.

degenerated
06-05-2022, 07:30 AM
Based on their explanation the recruitment department will currently be doing nothing then. I don’t think anyone believes that. So who is deciding what positions are priority for Hibs right now.I think you make my point succinctly

Heisenberg
06-05-2022, 07:34 AM
Based on their explanation the recruitment department will currently be doing nothing then. I don’t think anyone believes that. So who is deciding what positions are priority for Hibs right now.

Nothing will happen and no one will be brought in till we have a manager to make the decision. They will be working on the same areas identified under the previous manager(s). New manager comes in and then decides if he agrees or wants other areas looked at after evaluating the squad.

Unseen work
06-05-2022, 07:35 AM

It says in it they look at players based on recommendations, data etc

That won’t stop because a new manager is in place and I’m sure the scouting department as drawing up a list of names of potential replacements for each player which is then given to the new manager for his consideration.

bigwheel
06-05-2022, 07:37 AM
I think you make my point succinctly

[emoji1787]

Since90+2
06-05-2022, 07:37 AM
Would he have been hired for the role of Head of Recruitment at one of Scotland's biggest football clubs with his experience in the game and of Scottish/British market if his dad wasn't the owner?

The obvious answer to that is no. Shouldn't be in the job as he has literally zero experience of the British game where 90% of our potential signings are based.

18Craig75
06-05-2022, 07:50 AM
The club could do a fly on the wall documentary style piece which follows IG and takes a look at the whole departments activity. Obviously we would probably need a manager in for them to present the targets to. Even have a bit of comedy about it. Just let the fans get to know him and his personality and take a bit of a liking to him. At the end of the day, RG is investing heavily in a club he has no previous emotional ties to, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have his own pair of eyes and ears within the club in a prominent position. At the end of the day, RG is no spring chicken, so again having IG involved now isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Having said all that, it shouldn’t be to the detriment of a vital department in the club - but if he’s only heading up a talented team then for me his lack of experience shouldn’t matter really. Furthermore, who’s better at getting their parents to loosen purse strings than their kids?!?!

For me it’s not the fact he’s in the position he is in, it was the way they announced it, or more precisely - didn’t announce it. The club could really benefit from someone with a bit of PR experience, there’s been a few faux pas on that front recently.

bigwheel
06-05-2022, 07:51 AM
Would he have been hired for the role of Head of Recruitment at one of Scotland's biggest football clubs with his experience in the game and of Scottish/British market if his dad wasn't the owner?

The obvious answer to that is no. Shouldn't be in the job as he has literally zero experience of the British game where 90% of our potential signings are based.

Probably not , but didn’t he do a similar technical scouting role in the states for Charleston?? So think he has some credentials ..may be wrong through

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 09:10 AM
Nothing will happen and no one will be brought in till we have a manager to make the decision. They will be working on the same areas identified under the previous manager(s). New manager comes in and then decides if he agrees or wants other areas looked at after evaluating the squad.

Seems clear to me that would be the case.

soul_driver
06-05-2022, 09:15 AM
What if the new manager has his own targets in mind. Will they need to be vetted and/or approved by IG or the committee? Surely the manager can override them?

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 09:17 AM
What if the new manager has his own targets in mind. Will they need to be vetted and/or approved by IG or the committee? Surely the manager can override them?

Just like most clubs they will discuss them and make a decision whether to pursue based on a number of factors including whether he is affordable etc

mcfly
06-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Regardless who the new manager is

The club need to regain the trust of the fans. This has faltered in recent years and the chief executive needs to up his game and communicate with the fans and get the lost fans back.

We are falling further behind in Scottish football and that needs to change.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2022, 09:30 AM
We need to get this new manager in pronto, or other clubs will be able to sign the best available players before Hibs can

LeithMike
06-05-2022, 09:36 AM
What if the new manager has his own targets in mind. Will they need to be vetted and/or approved by IG or the committee? Surely the manager can override them?We will be able to tell a lot about the direction of the club from who gets appointed. If its a strong manager with a good track record then I doubt he will have agreed to a nonsense recruitment policy. If its a novice or someone otherwise desperate for another chance in management after recent failures, it may suggest that his control over recruitment and other aspects of the club is limited.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Smartie
06-05-2022, 03:02 PM
Regardless who the new manager is

The club need to regain the trust of the fans. This has faltered in recent years and the chief executive needs to up his game and communicate with the fans and get the lost fans back.

We are falling further behind in Scottish football and that needs to change.

Your post succinctly sums up my thoughts on the matter.

All sorts of sideshows, scapegoats and nonsense around right now.

We need to get this season finished, have a wee break for a while, have Hibs give a few people a shake whilst appointing a few more to crucial positions before we "go again" next season.

We are a mess, but far from being an unsalvageable mess.

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2022, 03:06 PM

If he is uncomfortable with his son getting stick, he shouldn't be giving him a job he is woefully unqualified for.

If Ron buggers off because questions are rightly being asked of his son, I don't think anyone will be that fussed.

Allant1981
06-05-2022, 03:09 PM

But his staff will have

basehibby
06-05-2022, 03:13 PM
Recruitment isn’t solely about players coming in though, is it? What manager is giving the okay to mueller leaving?

So he’s went from ‘managing a team of geeks’ to ‘senior member of the recruitment team’.

He’s qualified to do absolutely neither of those roles.

Ian Gordon is playing real life football manager and being allowed to do so by our owner who conveniently, is his father.

Does it not occur to anyone that in the event of Ron popping his clogs Ian Gordon WILL be the owner of Hibs??? And given that possible scenarios it not perhaps a good thing that Ian is becoming immersed in the club?

Also Ron, being based in the US, may feel better for having trusted eyes and ears on the ground.

I'll grant you that it's been a bumpy ride of late andIan has had a part to play in that but let's consider all the factors at work please!

overdrive
06-05-2022, 03:17 PM
Does it not occur to anyone that in the event of Ron popping his clogs Ian Gordon WILL be the owner of Hibs??? And given that possible scenarios it not perhaps a good thing that Ian is becoming immersed in the club?

Also Ron, being based in the US, may feel better for having trusted eyes and ears on the ground.

I'll grant you that it's been a bumpy ride of late andIan has had a part to play in that but let's consider all the factors at work please!

Weirdly, I’d feel much more comfortable if he had a more general management role in the club than the one he has, mainly for that reason that he might be the owner one day. Say, deputy CEO or COO learning from an experienced CEO (not Kensell).

On the point about eyes and ears on the ground, what ever happened to the guy who was advising Ron Gordon with the take over and who was meant to be his eyes and ears on the ground? Was it somebody Archie something?

Pretty Boy
06-05-2022, 03:24 PM
Weirdly, I’d feel much more comfortable if he had a more general management role in the club than the one he has, mainly for that reason that he might be the owner one day. Say, deputy CEO or COO learning from an experienced CEO (not Kensell).

On the point about eyes and ears on the ground, what ever happened to the guy who was advising Ron Gordon with the take over and who was meant to be his eyes and ears on the ground? Was it somebody Archie something?

Archie Paton. Still a non exec director.

CL0762
06-05-2022, 03:47 PM

Becoming immersed in the club is not a problem, far from it.

Having a key position in a part of the club he is wholly unqualified to hold us a problem though.

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 05:03 PM
Becoming immersed in the club is not a problem, far from it.

Having a key position in a part of the club he is wholly unqualified to hold us a problem though.

Who says he is wholly unqualified for the role. If it is as being presented then someone organised and capable would be able to do it imo.

Frazerbob
06-05-2022, 05:11 PM
Who says he is wholly unqualified for the role. If it is as being presented then someone organised and capable would be able to do it imo.

Hibs fans on the internet do. Must be true.

Frazerbob
06-05-2022, 05:13 PM

Like every manager in my 40 years of supporting Hibs, any potential signings will have to be agreed by those who run the club and sign the cheques. So yes, I imagine they will need to be approved.

JimBHibees
06-05-2022, 05:28 PM

Clearly :greengrin

Do we have a particularly self destructive fan base?

Since90+2
06-05-2022, 05:29 PM
But his staff will have

So what's he bringing to the party then? He has zero experience in Scottish football and his entire experience seems to be working as a scout for a second tier American team.

Allant1981
06-05-2022, 05:44 PM
So what's he bringing to the party then? He has zero experience in Scottish football and his entire experience seems to be working as a scout for a second tier American team.

I dont know what he brings to the party as you put it as i dont know his background. Do you know his background? Do you honestly think he needs experience of scottish football to sign off on the players that his scouts/analysis team have recommended?

Hibiza
06-05-2022, 06:05 PM
I dont know what he brings to the party as you put it as i dont know his background. Do you know his background? Do you honestly think he needs experience of scottish football to sign off on the players that his scouts/analysis team have recommended?

So , basically what your saying is that anyone could do the job ?

soul_driver
06-05-2022, 06:10 PM
Like every manager in my 40 years of supporting Hibs, any potential signings will have to be agreed by those who run the club and sign the cheques. So yes, I imagine they will need to be approved.

Yeah I did mean within our budget of course.

Allant1981
06-05-2022, 06:19 PM
So , basically what your saying is that anyone could do the job ?

What a ridiculous statement to make, where have i even remotely suggested or said that?

Hibiza
06-05-2022, 06:45 PM
What a ridiculous statement to make, where have i even remotely suggested or said that?

Soz man , calm, youre saying he doesn't need any experience,

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2022, 06:47 PM

Good. If he does it and does it well, thats great.

I'd like to know about the process that lead him to get the job, though. Was he the best candidate or just the one most related to the owner? Why was he snuck in with no proper annoucement?

Allant1981
06-05-2022, 06:54 PM
Soz man , calm, youre saying he doesn't need any experience,

Ill try explain it so you understand, i clearly said i dont know his background so dont know his qualifications, if he is an experienced manager in business or a recruitment manager then id say yes he should be fine in the role but again i dont know what he has done before, think ive clearly said that, why would he need experience in scottish football? I have never once said he doesnt need any experience, hope that is nice and simple for you

Allant1981
06-05-2022, 06:57 PM
Good. If he does it and does it well, thats great.

I'd like to know about the process that lead him to get the job, though. Was he the best candidate or just the one most related to the owner? Why was he snuck in with no proper annoucement?

Think this is the thing thats annoying fans, no one knows what the guy has done before so we dont know if he can or cant do it, would be good if RG had given a wee bit about his background when he appointed him

Lago
06-05-2022, 08:23 PM
And there are a multitude of them 🙄

Lago
06-05-2022, 08:24 PM
That's how all good businesses are run.

CL0762
07-05-2022, 12:12 AM

Well like the fanfare when Kensell was appointed as CEO, if he was fully qualified and the best man for the job, surely the club would’ve announced it publicly via a statement? Rather than snuck into the club directory thinking no one would spot it.

degenerated
07-05-2022, 08:33 AM
Clearly :greengrin

Do we have a particularly self destructive fan base?A noisy element, yes

SlickShoes
07-05-2022, 09:08 AM
Well like the fanfare when Kensell was appointed as CEO, if he was fully qualified and the best man for the job, surely the club would’ve announced it publicly via a statement? Rather than snuck into the club directory thinking no one would spot it.

You don’t publish something on an official website thinking no one would see it

bigwheel
07-05-2022, 09:11 AM

Why did the take it off again for a while ? Then put it back on ..defend them all you wish , there is no doubt they handled the comms around this appointment poorly . It’s the reason these threads remain

CL0762
07-05-2022, 10:04 AM

So why take it down for no reason just to add it back on?

Turkish Green
07-05-2022, 04:41 PM
I am not someone who is familiar with the running of a football club, but my question is: is 26 individuals listed as the football staff (including 5 football analysts) on the Official Site a normal number for a club of Hibs' size?

jacomo
08-05-2022, 10:16 AM
I am not someone who is familiar with the running of a football club, but my question is: is 26 individuals listed as the football staff (including 5 football analysts) on the Official Site a normal number for a club of Hibs' size?

Who knows?

It’s a significantly lower headcount than Aberdeen, and we have a training centre and academy to run.