PDA

View Full Version : Open training session

JamesHFC
27-04-2022, 12:20 PM
I assume this is still going ahead on Monday?

JimBHibees
27-04-2022, 12:20 PM
I assume this is still going ahead on Monday?

Would assume so

Viva_Palmeiras
27-04-2022, 05:00 PM
:greengrin

Allant1981
27-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Club posted earlier that its still happening

w pilton hibby
27-04-2022, 06:27 PM
Club posted earlier that its still happening

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-host-open-training-session-for-season-ticket-holders

brianmc
27-04-2022, 07:30 PM
I originally got tickets for this because I wanted to see exactly what Maloney had the players doing during training.

Personally I have zero interest in seeing how a caretaker boss fills their time until the next guy is appointed.

I'll give it a miss.

Danderhall Hibs
27-04-2022, 08:35 PM
I originally got tickets for this because I wanted to see exactly what Maloney had the players doing during training.

Personally I have zero interest in seeing how a caretaker boss fills their time until the next guy is appointed.

I'll give it a miss.

It’s Sir David mate - future Hibs manager.

Anyway, I’m going for the freebies they’ll be giving out. They know it’s only the real fans going to this.

27-04-2022, 11:32 PM
Keep a look out for this guy.

https://i.ibb.co/h1PM33X/photofunny-net.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

O'Rourke3
30-04-2022, 01:32 PM
Bump. Can't go now thanks to a positive covid test. Can pass on my ticket if someone wants to go.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The dalmeny
01-05-2022, 08:34 AM

Anyway, I’m going for the freebies they’ll be giving out. They know it’s only the real fans going to this.

I'm no a fan of the 'real fans' thing ...... but you have a point

superfurryhibby
01-05-2022, 09:04 AM

Real fans don’t need freebies.

Make sure that you boo the pricks for the rest of us daytrippers

LewysGot2
01-05-2022, 05:09 PM
Got tickets for this buy not sure I can be bothered any more. Will decide on the day.

Carheenlea
01-05-2022, 05:31 PM
Keep a look out for this guy.

https://i.ibb.co/h1PM33X/photofunny-net.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

:hilarious

JimBHibees
01-05-2022, 05:32 PM
Got tickets for this buy not sure I can be bothered any more. Will decide on the day.

Coco Bryce
01-05-2022, 06:32 PM

Join in. You might actually get a game on Saturday.

LewysGot2
02-05-2022, 11:02 AM
Anyone go?

I couldn't muster the enthusiasm 😬

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-05-2022, 11:14 AM
The cones took an early lead and managed to win 1-0!

Coco Bryce
02-05-2022, 11:19 AM
Did any any shooting at goal take place?

GreenCastle
02-05-2022, 11:22 AM

None of the starters did shooting.

Just the subs and others who didn’t play.

Ringothedog
02-05-2022, 11:26 AM

The question should be did we hit the target with any of our attempts.

angus hibby
02-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Yes..

Players came out..did some light running and stretching / sprints.

Keepers did own thing - 5 keepers I think. Did they even have a coach??

Gray and Eddie May then took some basic keep ball rondo grids x2. Felt like it went on forever.

Some passing drill followed which was pretty dull and didn’t really seem realistic to a game.

The players who played Saturday then football tennis for rest of session!!!

Those who didn’t play didn’t some finishing practice with some running.

Then those who didn’t play then played 5v5 and those who played went to sign autographs a don’t that was them done.

Not sure what I was expecting but thought it would be better.

No real coaching and just generic stuff but surprised didn’t see something a little more interesting. Obviously they won’t be doing shaping before Aberdeen but find it all pretty boring and players looked bored too.

Is it common a Monday after game they have a recovery session? That leaves only 3 possible days training (won’t do much day before game) prior to Aberdeen game.

No Hanlon - think Dan Mackay was back training as Killie season over. Had that Adam guy do some random interviews with Joelle Murray and Hibs womens coach Gibson plus a few plugs to sell ST’s - all pretty cringe I felt. Least the kids interviews were more fun. Food stalls open and it was freezing cold.

I got a ticket for this but didn’t bother making the 3 hour round trip to go, especially after Maloney was sacked. I coach at youth level and was looking forward to seeing him as I think his sessions would be excellent and it’s always good to see new drills etc.

Based on the above though, I’m glad I didn’t bother!

hibsforeurope
02-05-2022, 11:34 AM
What what the turn out like, did many people turn up?

GreenCastle
02-05-2022, 11:43 AM
I got a ticket for this but didn’t bother making the 3 hour round trip to go, especially after Maloney was sacked. I coach at youth level and was looking forward to seeing him as I think his sessions would be excellent and it’s always good to see new drills etc.

You made a good decision.

Wasn’t expecting a Pep level training session and seems it was more for the kids but what I felt was evident was lack of leadership.

From coaches and players. Just a bunch of nice guys having fun and no real grit / determination to raise standards.

Just seen the reason no GK coach as he’s just left club.

SlickShoes
02-05-2022, 12:04 PM
You made a good decision.

Wasn’t expecting a Pep level training session and seems it was more for the kids but what I felt was evident was lack of leadership.

From coaches and players. Just a bunch of nice guys having fun and no real grit / determination to raise standards.

Just seen the reason no GK coach as he’s just left club.

Not really a shock when we have no manager.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-05-2022, 12:06 PM
The bacon rolls and roll and sausage far better than the crap on matchday

Jamesie
02-05-2022, 01:57 PM
The bacon rolls and roll and sausage far better than the crap on matchday

I guess they’d say it’s easier to cater for 1,500 rather than 15,000. Were they free?!

Jamesie
02-05-2022, 02:00 PM
I’m told by a mate who attended that about 1,500 fans were there. No sign of Cadden, Wright, Jasper, Nisbet or Doidge. Hanlon wasn’t there to start with but eventually appeared.

Now I appreciate that some of these players might have had physio or other medical appointments or other personal issues that precluded their attendance, but you’d hope putting in an appearance before or after an appointment for autographs / selfies wouldn’t have been out of the question. Not a big ask.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-05-2022, 02:01 PM
I guess they’d say it’s easier to cater for 1,500 rather than 15,000. Were they free?!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Two sausage, one bacon and one coffee£11

Still......cheaper that the boardwalk beach club🤣🤣

WestStandWillie
02-05-2022, 02:06 PM
Sounds like it was a waste of time other than for our young fans meeting their heroes.

Jamesie
02-05-2022, 02:11 PM
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No such thing as a free brunch I guess!!

Coco Bryce
02-05-2022, 02:13 PM
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He's a robbing bas that guy :agree:

Blaster
02-05-2022, 02:15 PM
Sounds like it was a waste of time other than for our young fans meeting their heroes.

I’m surprised anyone thinks it would be any different

GreenCastle
02-05-2022, 02:18 PM
I’m told by a mate who attended that about 1,500 fans were there. No sign of Cadden, Wright, Jasper, Nisbet or Doidge. Hanlon wasn’t there to start with but eventually appeared.

Now I appreciate that some of these players might have had physio or other medical appointments or other personal issues that precluded their attendance, but you’d hope putting in an appearance before or after an appointment for autographs / selfies wouldn’t have been out of the question. Not a big ask.

Someone really needs to sort Hibs out and get the connection going between players and fans.

I get some players did autographs today but you would expect others to at least show face too.

Feels very Butcher / relegation days - no connection and players not really caring.

Really hope this will change but can only see it happening if a good manager is appointed.

LaMotta
02-05-2022, 02:24 PM

The players certainly didn't think Maloney's training was excellent, so his sacking may have saved you a wasted 3 hour round trip anyway.

Allant1981
02-05-2022, 02:57 PM
The kids seemed to enjoy meeting the players so surely thats the main thing, did anyone really think they were going to see a proper training session

brog
02-05-2022, 03:10 PM
Someone really needs to sort Hibs out and get the connection going between players and fans.

I get some players did autographs today but you would expect others to at least show face too.

Feels very Butcher / relegation days - no connection and players not really caring.

Really hope this will change but can only see it happening if a good manager is appointed.

In my over 60 years of supporting Hibs this, to my knowledge, is the first time an event like this has happened. It went ahead even though we have no manager.
About half the posters then criticise Hibs! It seems sometimes the club can't win.

Since452
02-05-2022, 03:14 PM
In my over 60 years of supporting Hibs this, to my knowledge, is the first time an event like this has happened. It went ahead even though we have no manager.
About half the posters then criticise Hibs! It seems sometimes the club can't win.

I agree. Exactly the type of thing that should be happening to help unite the team and fans. It's a good idea, unfortunatley in ****ty circumstances. It might have been a better idea doing it in the summer when the schools were off.

Callum_62
02-05-2022, 03:15 PM

most of the time it seems that way

folk do love a moan though, that much is evident

JimBHibees
02-05-2022, 03:18 PM
The cones took an early lead and managed to win 1-0!

JimBHibees
02-05-2022, 03:22 PM

Think for that alone it was well worth doing and should happen more often. Good thing to do imo

JimBHibees
02-05-2022, 03:23 PM

Totally agree an excellent thing to do imo

GreenCastle
02-05-2022, 03:39 PM

I’ve been to an open session when a previous manager was here - sat in east stand for it. Can’t remember who was manager though.

I think it was fine but it surely just can’t be about the kids as not everyone is a child and not everyone has kids.

From an adult perspective it would be good if they did a little more to make the day better as watching them play football tennis was pretty boring.

I’m all for connecting with fans etc but there was the issue raised of some players just not showing up.

Obviously tricky timing as just after a 1-0 loss to Livi. Had they won at the weekend I’m sure players would be buzzing more.

Overall happy for Hibs to do this but think they could make more of it for all fans.

oneone73
02-05-2022, 03:39 PM

Actually, I remember Yogi having an open training session - which included nonsense like a crossbar challenge.

H18 SFR
02-05-2022, 04:02 PM
I remember being at one when Alex Miller was the manager and they played three games of 5 aside at the same time splitting the pitch into thirds.

Tortolano and Gordon Hunter ended up having a right argument.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2022, 04:06 PM
Hibs have definitely done stuff like this before. I remember going to one at ER and another one at Wardie playing fields so that must have been a while back. They were marketed more at kids then.

Tbh I'm not sure what people expected today. It's a Monday. It's a day for getting the guys who didn't play to make up their distances for fitness and so on and for the guys who played to open up the legs ready for tomorrow.

Sounds a bit like it was a kids event that has been rehashed to be used as a ST holders perk. I suspected it would be a glorified meet and greet so didn't bother.

percy veer
02-05-2022, 04:07 PM

by what has been described sounds like the hibs kids open days in the 90s, loved they days not sure why they binned them TBH

Viva_Palmeiras
02-05-2022, 04:12 PM

Changed days, before the 90s and maybe 00s (perhaps the 80s) did support talk of needing to sort the disconnect between the club and the fans when goings got tough?

I’m not saying that’s necessarily a good or bad thing but just wondering what’s changed?

“lack of atmosphere” is another perplexing thing - is that the same as or a strand of “match day experience”?

Seems to me some folks are always looking for someone or something to blame - ineffective management/board/singing section. It was also sheeeite back in the day when it was JoeT scapegoating (which BTW was absolutely shameful on part of those that took part - just watch his St Pats interview to see how much that affects him to this day).

I’m just grateful that when it came to the crunch we had a support that bought into “Hands off Hibs” and “stand up and be counted”.

I know we have a long suffering support and it’s not easy to stomach the dark side on the up, I hope we’re here to and answer the rally call as we did during COVID as we rise to better times in the hopeful near future.

and a final thought - I wonder if the COVID years replayed with crowds would have increased the bond between fans, players, the manager and owner. It really dealt us a blow in what was a fantastic season…

The dalmeny
02-05-2022, 04:22 PM
most of the time it seems that way

folk do love a moan though, that much is evident

welcome to the internet

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2022, 04:27 PM
Did the barn door and banjo make an appearance?

Bobo
02-05-2022, 04:28 PM

it's been done a few times in the past.

Last two were 2012 & 2014 with Fenlon then Stubbs, Alex Miller also did similar sessions. Couple of photos attached.

Ronniekirk
02-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Any sign of the Solar Panels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
02-05-2022, 04:49 PM

Nah its definitely taken place before

Jamesie
02-05-2022, 04:57 PM
I’ve been to an open session when a previous manager was here - sat in east stand for it. Can’t remember who was manager though.

I’m sure I went to an open session when at primary school. It may have been the Easter holidays in April 1992 in fact, because I seem to recall I also had my photograph taken with the Skol Cup!

Jamesie
02-05-2022, 04:59 PM
I remember being at one when Alex Miller was the manager and they played three games of 5 aside at the same time splitting the pitch into thirds.

Tortolano and Gordon Hunter ended up having a right argument.

This may well have been the April 1992 session I mention above - it rings bells!

Jamesie
02-05-2022, 05:15 PM
Changed days, before the 90s and maybe 00s (perhaps the 80s) did support talk of needing to sort the disconnect between the club and the fans when goings got tough?

I’m not saying that’s necessarily a good or bad thing but just wondering what’s changed?

“lack of atmosphere” is another perplexing thing - is that the same as or a strand of “match day experience”?

Seems to me some folks are always looking for someone or something to blame - ineffective management/board/singing section. It was also sheeeite back in the day when it was JoeT scapegoating (which BTW was absolutely shameful on part of those that took part - just watch his St Pats interview to see how much that affects him to this day).

I’m just grateful that when it came to the crunch we had a support that bought into “Hands off Hibs” and “stand up and be counted”.

I know we have a long suffering support and it’s not easy to stomach the dark side on the up, I hope we’re here to and answer the rally call as we did during COVID as we rise to better times in the hopeful near future.

and a final thought - I wonder if the COVID years replayed with crowds would have increased the bond between fans, players, the manager and owner. It really dealt us a blow in what was a fantastic season…

A lot of interesting points here. I think historically, there was more of a natural connection between players and fans when the team had emerged from the same communities as the fans. For example take the 1991 Skol Cup winning side:

John Burridge, Willie Miller, Graham Mitchell, Gordon Hunter, Tommy McIntyre, Murdo MacLeod, Mickey Weir, Brian Hamilton, Keith Wright, Gareth Evans, Pat McGinlay

Nine out of that starting eleven grew up in east-central Scotland by reckoning. They knew what the club was all about because they’d grown up with it and they were unlikely to make too many moves in the course of their careers. Of the two that were not - Burridge and Evans - the former still has a connection with the fans to this day and Evans’ second home is of course Edinburgh.

Contrast the team that played Livingston on Saturday:

Macey, McGinn, Hanlon, Stevenson, Clarke, Doyle-Hayes, Newell, Doig, Henderson, Melkersen, Scott

I’d say five, maybe at best six, of that team meet the above criteria. And for all of them, they’re likely to play for far more clubs in their careers than their predecessors did. On that basis, any connection will naturally be weaker. I’d love to be proven wrong, but I’d be surprised if any of this team has sat down with Tom Wright for an hour or two to learn about the history of Hibs.

Sioux
02-05-2022, 05:40 PM

Why would the players want to connect with fans that simply want to criticize everything that they do?

Media, such as this place and twitter etc, are merely vehicles for the hard of thinking to shout anonymous abuse at everything under the sun.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2022, 05:43 PM
Did most Hibs fans in the 80s not just stop going altogether? Hardly suggests a great connection between fans and club.

Frazerbob
02-05-2022, 07:15 PM
From the reports I’ve read about tiday, it’s no surprise we’re *****. Sounds like the training sessions I put on for Edina Hibs U10’s 25 years ago were more challenging.

Allant1981
02-05-2022, 07:40 PM
From the reports I’ve read about tiday, it’s no surprise we’re *****. Sounds like the training sessions I put on for Edina Hibs U10’s 25 years ago were more challenging.

Do you honestly think they were going to put on proper training sessions? Good excuse to have a needless pop at the club though. It was a chance for fans to see the players

H18 SFR
02-05-2022, 07:42 PM
This may well have been the April 1992 session I mention above - it rings bells!

Tortolano got taken away by Jimmy McLaughlin who I don’t think was even full time at the club, just helped out on match day.

Frazerbob
02-05-2022, 07:53 PM
Do you honestly think they were going to put on proper training sessions? Good excuse to have a needless pop at the club though. It was a chance for fans to see the players

Chill out man, my post was tongue in cheek. I doubt anyone from the club will read my shan patter in here so I wouldn’t worry about any ‘pops at the club’. Was it an open training session or a Hibs Kids meet & greet though? Maybe badly labelled.

Unseen work
02-05-2022, 07:56 PM
In fairness to the club I don’t think it was ever going to be a particularly strenuous training session especially with the amount of injuries we’ve had.

There’s so way they would do anything tactical either.

More short sided games, possession or shooting drills would maybe have been more entertaining but I think It was more just so people could see them and get some good photos with them up close.

I get head tennis is a bit boring though! But most drills they do would probably be viewed as boring especially when doing it for a lengthy period.

One in pre season though when there’s new signings, everyone is flying and they do big games would be good to watch.

Unseen work
03-05-2022, 06:29 PM
Anyone know where Jasper was or if he’s injured?

Couldn’t see him in any of the photos.

JimBHibees
04-05-2022, 06:04 AM
Anyone know where Jasper was or if he’s injured?

Couldn’t see him in any of the photos.

He did get absolutely booted late on at Livi maybe getting some treatment