PDA

View Full Version : Newell

Key West
16-04-2022, 04:30 PM
A massive disappointment, a stupid first booking and a brainless 2nd tackle.He doesn't take responsibility unlike Henderson who tries to make things happen, runs about like he's playing in a 5 a side match, plays easy balls to Hanlon and McGinn instead of trying to go forward, shame really because he should be a lot better than that.

BoomtownHibees
16-04-2022, 04:31 PM
Another needing replaced

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 04:32 PM
A massive disappointment, a stupid first booking and a brainless 2nd tackle.He doesn't take responsibility unlike Henderson who tries to make things happen, runs about like he's playing in a 5 a side match, plays easy balls to Hanlon and McGinn instead of trying to go forward, shame really because he should be a lot better than that.

Pass, we need better.

:thumbsup:

Key West
16-04-2022, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately he's been given a new contract.

marinello59
16-04-2022, 04:34 PM

Which he deserved. He messed up today, he will know that himself. We’ve surely all had days at work we would rather forget? He is still one of our better player and has been all season.

truehibernian
16-04-2022, 04:36 PM

As I posted earlier, would wager he’ll pick up an injury next game or two and sit the season out on the golf course ! Heart of a mouse. Never rises to the occasion and another who flatters to deceive most weeks he plays. That was a disgraceful showing from him today.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 04:37 PM
A nothing player. Doesn’t defend. Doesn’t attack. Gives loads of fouls away and that’s about it.

SlickShoes
16-04-2022, 04:37 PM
He can be a good player but getting sent off with a needless second yellow in a cup semi final against your rivals is unforgivable. Wouldn’t be unhappy to never see him again.

BoomtownHibees
16-04-2022, 04:38 PM

So did the rest of the midfield who give us absolutely **** all. Empty them all

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2022, 04:39 PM
Another of hia normal displays, his good performances are the exception.

jakedance
16-04-2022, 04:40 PM
Just about the angriest I’ve ever been with a Hibs player today. Utterly stupid bookings. It would be no loss if he never plays for us again.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Good player, let us down today. Will be as disappointed as any of us. Probably not in the semis without his brilliant performance at Motherwell.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Awful player and everything that’s wrong with this team. We won’t progress while he is in that midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
16-04-2022, 04:43 PM
Good player, let us down today. Will be as disappointed as any of us. Probably not in the semis without his brilliant performance at Motherwell.

He won’t be as disappointed as me. Can guarantee it

Allant1981
Awful player and everything that’s wrong with this team. We won’t progress while he is in that midfield.

Sorry but he is anything but awful, let the side down today but he certinly isnt awful

B.H.F.C
Just about the angriest I’ve ever been with a Hibs player today. Utterly stupid bookings. It would be no loss if he never plays for us again.

My thoughts exactly. His second made him look thick, which he is given he couldn’t just walk home from the pub in Wallyford to his house in Wallyford.

Dmas
16-04-2022, 04:44 PM
I thought he played quite well up to the red, his yellow was soft in comparison to some of the tackles Beaton allowed hearts away with first half, Kingsley I think it was checking cadden out for an example that was a stick on yellow and the game would have ended 10 v 10, can’t argue is second yellow was daft especially after being getting away with one moments earlier.

Do need better though I think we’re needing to get a few centre mids in, I’m not convinced JDH is good enough though played well today and we need better off the bench than Campbell

The Modfather
16-04-2022, 04:44 PM
A player who doesn’t score, assist, run ahead of the ball or drive into the opposition half with the ball. I’m not sure he is good enough or consistent enough to play the MGeough role. He may benefit from better and more dynamic players round him, but that’s the same for JDH, Campbell, Stevenson etc.

Would move on a number of other midfielders before him, but he’s expendable IMO.

Key West
16-04-2022, 04:45 PM
Which he deserved. He messed up today, he will know that himself. We’ve surely all had days at work we would rather forget? He is still one of our better player and has been all season.

These games don't come along very often, if he was going to have a bad day at the office then this was not the time.

Pete
16-04-2022, 04:46 PM

Agree. I'd definitely keep him. Maloney did ask him to play on the edge but sometimes players take it that little bit too far and you go over it.
I think people are just a little bit upset because if he wasnt sent off, we probably wouldve won that. They won't admit it though.

marinello59
16-04-2022, 04:47 PM
These games don't come along very often, if he was going to have a bad day at the office then this was not the time.

His timing wasn’t great, true. :greengrin

Key West
16-04-2022, 04:48 PM

When are you on at the Fringe?

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2022, 04:49 PM
When are you on at the Fringe?

yawn

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 04:49 PM
Sorry but he is anything but awful, let the side down today but he certinly isnt awful

We have different opinions on that. Since he arrived our midfield has been second best most games. There is zero bite about it. He is a massive part of that. Doesn’t break up play but isn’t creative either. Can’t shoot or score. Can’t pass forward. Can’t remember last time I saw him break out of a jog into a sprint.
He’s a poser in midfield. Stevenson showed today what a centre mid is supposed to do.
Newall will be here for a while yet. And while he is here we will remain a soft touch in midfield. Teams will keep playing through us knowing that they won’t be closed down or put under any pressure.

Carheenlea
16-04-2022, 04:50 PM
He's OK. Had the odd good game but largely your classic journeyman footballer. Should be looking for much better in such a key area, particularly when we lament the service given to our attackers.

Making a foolish challenge whilst on yellow with half an hour to go and really getting on top while not costing us the game as such, but certainly made getting back into game and winning it that bit more difficult. Having 11v11 might just have made all the difference in the closing stages.

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-04-2022, 04:51 PM
Newell’s our best, most consistent midfielder right now.

He was stupid today though and let us down badly.

BoomtownHibees
16-04-2022, 04:51 PM

Does that really say that much?

marinello59
16-04-2022, 04:52 PM
Final request, can we do this without the petty personal digs? We don’t want to be deleting posts , we have better things to do on a Saturday night.
Thanks.

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-04-2022, 04:53 PM
Does that really say that much?

No but there’s others i’d empty 1st before I got to Newell.

Heisenberg
16-04-2022, 04:53 PM
Massively let us down today. The discipline throughout the squad has been dreadful all season to be honest. Have we had a season with more red cards/suspensions in recent years? Struggling to think of one.

BoomtownHibees
16-04-2022, 04:54 PM
No but there’s others i’d empty 1st before I got to Newell.

I’d empty them all

Greencore
16-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Would not be sad to see him go. He's decent at best.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 04:57 PM
Massively let us down today. The discipline throughout the squad has been dreadful all season to be honest. Have we had a season with more red cards/suspensions in recent years? Struggling to think of one.

Yep, and not just on the park. Newell being the prime example.

Callum_62
16-04-2022, 04:57 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAwful player?

Tad exaggerated imho

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Key West
16-04-2022, 05:01 PM
His timing wasn’t great, true. :greengrin

It's unfortunate but we don't get anywhere near than enough from him.

superfurryhibby
16-04-2022, 05:03 PM
It was a cheap sending off. Totally unnecessary and cost us a chance of winning that game. Very disappointed in him. He's old enough and should be savvy enough to know better.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 05:05 PM
Awful player?

Tad exaggerated imho

What does he do that is good?

WillieP
16-04-2022, 05:06 PM
A nothing player. Doesn’t defend. Doesn’t attack. Gives loads of fouls away and that’s about it.agreed

:confused:

Steve20
16-04-2022, 05:07 PM
He offers nothing. I have no idea what some people see in him as a player. He doesn’t do anything.

Mcbizz1998
16-04-2022, 05:07 PM
He can be a good player but getting sent off with a needless second yellow in a cup semi final against your rivals is unforgivable. Wouldn’t be unhappy to never see him again.

I forgive him.

Smartie
16-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Senior player.

Gets sent off at a key point in our biggest game of the season. Done for drink driving earlier this season.

Poor decision making at key points.

You forgive that if he’s outstanding every week, not when he’s anonymous as often as he is.

2 new contracts in a season? Who is making these decisions?

HibbyAndy
16-04-2022, 05:10 PM
He let us down big time today , I honestly fancied us to win that game even at 2-1 down ! We dominated that 2nd half !

Utterly pissed off when he lunged in like that , ****ing amateur stuff !! Rightly sent off and have no complaints

Pretty Boy
Let himself and his team mates down today. That was a crazy challenge to make when already on a booking. He'll know that better than anyone.

He had played well up to that point though. He should have been hooked as it was so obvious a 2nd yellow was coming. He'd had another couple of niggly fouls before the 2nd yellow and the absolute theatrics every time we went within 5 yards of a Hearts player meant there was an inevitability about it.

Mcbizz1998
Sorry but we complain about lack of dig and desire for this team - clearly Joe was out there to put it all on the line and he put in a decent performance today.

I forgive him.

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 05:11 PM

😂 The hysteria in full swing now.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 05:26 PM
[emoji23] The hysteria in full swing now.

I think you’ll find I have been totally consistent in my views of Joe Newall. No hysteria here. I’m sure he’ll be here for a while yet and go through at least another couple of managers before he eventually moves on.

bigwheel
16-04-2022, 05:26 PM

There’s nothing like balanced objective analysis ………….

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2022, 05:27 PM

He was stupid today though and let us down badly.

That doesn’t say much for the rest.
No pace, doesn’t score goals, doesn’t create goals, crossing is poor.
Other than having nice hair he flatters to deceive and handing him a lengthy contract beggars belief.

loanheadhibby
16-04-2022, 05:27 PM
Do you really believe Newell was brilliant at Motherwell?
You continually let us know how highly you rate Newell but I just don't see it.
I feel he adds nothing. What do you think are his main attributes?

dp00
16-04-2022, 05:28 PM
I just don’t know what goes through his head to make that challenge while on a yellow card ? It’s poor from him but it’s also poor from maloney not to replace him

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 05:32 PM
I just don’t know what goes through his head to make that challenge while on a yellow card ? It’s poor from him but it’s also poor from maloney not to replace him

Should have replaced him in January and then we might not have been wanting him out.

HH81
16-04-2022, 05:33 PM
He cost us game today with his stupidity. He was warned by ref few mins early and then he makes that tackle. FFS.

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Sorry but we complain about lack of dig and desire for this team - clearly Joe was out there to put it all on the line and he put in a decent performance today.

I forgive him.

That wasn’t dig, that was stupidity. Stevenson showed how to really get stuck in and fairly at that.

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 05:43 PM
I think you’ll find I have been totally consistent in my views of Joe Newall. No hysteria here. I’m sure he’ll be here for a while yet and go through at least another couple of managers before he eventually moves on.

That's true to be fair. You are consistently negative.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-04-2022, 06:33 PM
Let the whole team down with his challenge. Total stupidity.

theonlywayisup
16-04-2022, 06:38 PM
Stupid, but from around the 60th minute I did think he need to be replaced as he looked as if the game was bypassing him. It was not a surprise to me that he lunges into a tackle and gets sent off. Our problem is that we didn't have anyone better on the bench. Taking him off would have been a wrong decision, but........

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-04-2022, 06:38 PM
Newell is a good player but I don't think he is good enough for Hibs. Too negative for the type of football we are supposed to be playing. I loved lewy today but lewy is generally a negative player too. Rarely plays through balls as well as JDH. If lewy plays the rest of his games like he did today I'd be happy with him in midfield!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
16-04-2022, 06:39 PM
I’ve defended Newell multiple times but that was indefensible today. He’s got to realise that Haring would take any chance to exaggerate a challenge.

Pretty poor on the ball aswell. Him and JDH were so poor in both derbies against bang average Hearts midfielders.

Total rebuild required

Fergus52
16-04-2022, 06:40 PM
We have different opinions on that. Since he arrived our midfield has been second best most games. There is zero bite about it. He is a massive part of that. Doesn’t break up play but isn’t creative either. Can’t shoot or score. Can’t pass forward. Can’t remember last time I saw him break out of a jog into a sprint.
He’s a poser in midfield. Stevenson showed today what a centre mid is supposed to do.
Newall will be here for a while yet. And while he is here we will remain a soft touch in midfield. Teams will keep playing through us knowing that they won’t be closed down or put under any pressure.

"Doesn't break up play and isn't creative" is complete nonsense.

He has plenty of weaknesses to his game that he can be criticised for, but there's no point just making stuff up.

He has the 8th most tackles per game, and 7th most chances created of all central midfielders in the league.

Very few players in the league are that highly ranked for both those metrics, usually it's one or the other.

Hibby70
16-04-2022, 06:51 PM
The whole team were going full into challenges today - to prove they have some bite following all the deserved criticism. I wasn't surprised we had a man sent off considering Beaton was refereeing.

After a year of watching a soft as ***** team I'm not going to start picking on palyers for doing the opposite. Yes he should have been hooked beforehand and his decision making was questionable but to start saying he's a bad player is just wrong.

Key West
16-04-2022, 07:04 PM
The whole team were going full into challenges today - to prove they have some bite following all the deserved criticism. I wasn't surprised we had a man sent off considering Beaton was refereeing.

After a year of watching a soft as ***** team I'm not going to start picking on palyers for doing the opposite. Yes he should have been hooked beforehand and his decision making was questionable but to start saying he's a bad player is just wrong.

He's not a bad player I've seen worse but he is well overrated and his sending off was entirely down to him.
As someone else pointed out he flatters to deceive.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 07:06 PM

He has plenty of weaknesses to his game that he can be criticised for, but there's no point just making stuff up.

He has the 8th most tackles per game, and 7th most chances created of all central midfielders in the league.

Very few players in the league are that highly ranked for both those metrics, usually it's one or the other.

Two good tackles today though.

He’s a coward.

Callum_62
16-04-2022, 07:08 PM
Two good tackles today though.

He’s a coward.Sure he is.

The Modfather
16-04-2022, 07:12 PM

Those stats suggest Newell is one of the best all round midfielders in the league. That’s not what I see. There’s a place for stats, but there was also a stat the other day that Murphy has our best goals/assists to minutes in the squad. That was 2 goals (one against the team from Andorra) and 1 assist in real terms.

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 07:14 PM

Great Post. The undisputable truth. Still a few experts here will know better than the facts....

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 07:26 PM

What is it they say, you have lies, damn lies and statistics, you can manipulate figures anyway you want I just don't think he is good enough at Hibs for where I want to see my team going.

The Modfather
16-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Great Post. The undisputable truth. Still a few experts here will know better than the facts....

If we’re digging into stats this website shows Campbell (1.09) & JDH (1.2) average more points per game than Newel does (1.0) and when goals scored and goals conceded are netted of against each other we’re better off again under both Campbell (-0.21) & JDH (-0.02) than Newel (-0.68).

Maybe we should be starting the midfield rebuild by replacing Newel first?

https://fbref.com/en/squads/f3aacc58/Hibernian-Stats

TelaStella
16-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Given the reaction on here maybe I’ve got this wrong but genuinely could not believe he got a booking for that 2nd. Perhaps just my angle.

cameronw-hfc
16-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Can rate/not rate newell all yous want, but coming after his character, Ie. Someone claiming he'll coincidently spend the rest of the season out injured playing golf?? And the "coward" comments are too far. He's a Hibs player ffs.

Say he's hopeless if that's the opinion, but don't come after a guys character because he had a bad game of football.

marinello59
16-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Can rate/not rate newell all yous want, but coming after his character, Ie. Someone claiming he'll coincidently spend the rest of the season out injured playing golf?? And the "coward" comments are too far. He's a Hibs player ffs.

Say he's hopeless if that's the opinion, but don't come after a guys character because he had a bad game of football.

:agree:

JohnM1875
16-04-2022, 07:36 PM
Shocking from him, absolutely shocking challenge on a yellow. Could have arguably got a second yellow a few minutes before for a pull back.

Let the whole team down today. We were completely bossing it and honestly think we win that 11 v 11

EricM
16-04-2022, 07:50 PM
Continually makes poor decisions.

Made several stupid tackles today, everyone could see he should have been taken off.

Poor decisions off the pitch too says it all for me.

Get rid.

cabbageandribs1875
16-04-2022, 07:52 PM
Continually makes poor decisions.

Made several stupid tackles today, everyone could see he should have been taken off.

Poor decisions off the pitch too says it all for me.

Get rid.

we can't

gaz1875
16-04-2022, 08:06 PM
Given the reaction on here maybe I’ve got this wrong but genuinely could not believe he got a booking for that 2nd. Perhaps just my angle.

It didn't look bad from section F2, but having just seen the highlights on BBC, stick on yellow.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 08:13 PM
Sure he is.

He is. Tried to show he cared by kicking folk.

Meant to be a ‘top’ player. Get on the ball and play….

loanheadhibby
16-04-2022, 08:23 PM

Meant to be a ‘top’ player. Get on the ball and play….

You’ve answered your own point (as I suspect you know).

He’s not a top player, never has been and never will be. He’s not good enough to get on the ball and play.

He may have other attributes but he can’t play and let us down massively today when he should have stepped up.

Drink driver to boot.

I'm Spartacus
16-04-2022, 08:40 PM

I get the 'breaking up play' role, but F me he just gives away fouls ALL the time. The second booking today was a disgrace, we were unlucky today, but we were also very lucky to finish with 10 men IMO.

We actually kept the ball better when Newell was off.

Lee Marvin
16-04-2022, 08:53 PM
3 year deal though

EricM
16-04-2022, 10:42 PM
we can't

Yes of course, the infamous 3 year contract.

Time to make use of the wording on this contract.

Rot on the bench, minimum salary due to zero appearance money, no chance of career progression.

Make the player move.

Callum_62
16-04-2022, 11:00 PM

Meant to be a ‘top’ player. Get on the ball and play….He had 1 bad tackle and one silly tackle altho as I've said we will see Ryan Jack and Callum. Mcgregor get away with simla tomorrow with a talking to

I bet you were whining last week about our lack of aggression and us being bullied [emoji849]

Calling him a coward... Another hibs class post on here

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Yes of course, the infamous 3 year contract.

Time to make use of the wording on this contract.

Rot on the bench, minimum salary due to zero appearance money, no chance of career progression.

Make the player move.

Tonight is mental!! Imagine talking about our player like that!
All over a tackle. Classless comment.

NC1875
16-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Another bang average player

EricM
16-04-2022, 11:12 PM
Tonight is mental!! Imagine talking about our player like that!
All over a tackle. Classless comment.

Username checks out

Not good enough on or off the pitch

The Baldmans Comb
17-04-2022, 12:00 AM
According to various sources on "Hibs Bounce" it was also Newell who leaked the starting line up last night which was all over social media this morning.

Neilson probably thought it was a wind up and ignored it but it just screams out the naievity at the heart of Maloney's thinking that if he picks the team the day before and lets the players know.

Its then no great surprise that everyone else knows as well a few hours later.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 12:05 AM
According to various sources on "Hibs Bounce" it was also Newell who leaked the starting line up last night which was all over social media this morning.

Neilson probably thought it was a wind up and ignored it but it just screams out the naievity at the heart of Maloney's thinking that if he picks the team the day before and lets the players know.

Unless that’s proven then let’s ignore it. Let’s focus on the fact he not very good.

sunshinejim
17-04-2022, 12:11 AM
He had 1 bad tackle and one silly tackle altho as I've said we will see Ryan Jack and Callum. Mcgregor get away with simla tomorrow with a talking to

I bet you were whining last week about our lack of aggression and us being bullied [emoji849]

There were tackles flying in from both sides. i genuinely thought Beaton could have put Newell on a last warning talking to however that seems to be the privilege of the OF and Yams. How cochrane survived staying on the pitch is a complete mystery. But hey ho after 2016 its just another derby. Hope the Yams get pumped in final but don't care either way. Mon Hibs

Pete
17-04-2022, 12:22 AM
There were tackles flying in from both sides. i genuinely thought Beaton could have put Newell on a last warning talking to however that seems to be the privilege of the OF and Yams. How cochrane survived staying on the pitch is a complete mystery. But hey ho after 2016 its just another derby. Hope the Yams get pumped in final but don't care either way. Mon Hibs

Agree with Newells treatment. The best refs in the world are emotionally intelligent enough to recognise the way games are going and keep men on the pitch through early intervention in the form of dialogue.
If you're reading John, that means have a stern chat.

I know some of us are angry but the vitriol towards a decent player and selective memories make this thread an embarrassment.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 12:25 AM
Agree with Newells treatment. The best refs in the world are emotionally intelligent enough to recognise the way games are going and keep men on the pitch through early intervention in the form of dialogue.

I know some of us are angry but the vitriol towards a decent player and selective memories make this thread an embarrassment.

You kidding? He has two feet of the ground and lunges in late. He’s lucky it’s not a straight red?

Pete
17-04-2022, 12:37 AM
You kidding? He has two feet of the ground and lunges in late. He’s lucky it’s not a straight red?

If you're talking about his second tackle, I think you're being a bit dramatic. He was trying to win/block the ball and talk of a straight red is nonsense.

My main point is that the ref could've controlled that game better. It's a derby FFS, someone like Colina wouldve made everyone know the boundaries after the second robust challenge.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-04-2022, 12:52 AM
Another nobody rewarded with long term contract, who could never play another game for Hibs, not be missed, & leave virtually no trace behind him in our memories of his time at ER.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 04:25 AM

What on earth is wrong with picking the team the day before a 12:15 kick off? Surely very standard. Plenty sticks to beat the manager with, that's not one of them.

B.H.F.C
17-04-2022, 04:58 AM
He had 1 bad tackle and one silly tackle altho as I've said we will see Ryan Jack and Callum. Mcgregor get away with simla tomorrow with a talking to

Too right I was whining about us rolling over last week. That doesn’t mean I wanted him to go and do what he did though. It’s the cowardly way of trying to show you care, much easier to do that than actually get on the ball and try to make a difference that way.

I’d gladly never see him in a Hibs top again but, unfortunately, we’ve decided to dish out contracts to our midfield who have been failing all season.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 05:05 AM
Too right I was whining about us rolling over last week. That doesn’t mean I wanted him to go and do what he did though. It’s the cowardly way of trying to show you care, much easier to do that than actually get on the ball and try to make a difference that way.

I’d gladly never see him in a Hibs top again but, unfortunately, we’ve decided to dish out contracts to our midfield who have been failing all season.

Probably because Newell was very much succeeding last season?

B.H.F.C
17-04-2022, 05:17 AM
Probably because Newell was very much succeeding last season?

In some folks eyes he might have been. Others would suggest our midfield has needed strengthened for some time.

None of the contracts give out to him, JDH and Campbell this season have been based on performance this season. Last season is an irrelevance.

Turkish Green
17-04-2022, 05:18 AM
Before the game I was discussing with my son what the likely scenario could be and we both agreed on one thing that Newell would get himself red carded but thought it would be on a reckless challenge on he irritating Devlin. He is a liability, although after his tackle on McKay, the winger went and hid for the rest of the game.

We were dominating the 2nd half until the sending off. Then to their advantage they had Gordon in goals.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 05:35 AM
In some folks eyes he might have been. Others would suggest our midfield has needed strengthened for some time.

None of the contracts give out to him, JDH and Campbell this season have been based on performance this season. Last season is an irrelevance.

He certainly was succeeding last season.

While last season might he irrelevant now, it shows the level he can play at. Newell is a good player. Very easy scapegoat. Has been since day 1 really.

Don't mind jdh, decent squad player. Campbell is murder.

Crunchie
17-04-2022, 06:12 AM
Let himself and his team mates down today. That was a crazy challenge to make when already on a booking. He'll know that better than anyone.

He had played well up to that point though. He should have been hooked as it was so obvious a 2nd yellow was coming. He'd had another couple of niggly fouls before the 2nd yellow and the absolute theatrics every time we went within 5 yards of a Hearts player meant there was an inevitability about it.

This

mcfly
17-04-2022, 07:48 AM
An utter idiot doing what he did.

Hasn’t endeared himself to fans after yesterday as he cost us a chance if a result imo.

Was also v poor management not subbing him.

Another player I’m not bothered with if he goes.

Brooster
17-04-2022, 10:00 AM
Being the player with the 8th most tackles in the leagues does not mean he can tackle. He clearly cannot tackle.

gaz1875
17-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Being the player with the 8th most tackles in the leagues does not mean he can tackle. He clearly cannot tackle.

He'd be 1st in shirt pulling if that's a stat taken during games.

The Modfather
17-04-2022, 10:28 AM
If we’re digging into stats this website shows Campbell (1.09) & JDH (1.2) average more points per game than Newel does (1.0) and when goals scored and goals conceded are netted of against each other we’re better off again under both Campbell (-0.21) & JDH (-0.02) than Newel (-0.68).

Maybe we should be starting the midfield rebuild by replacing Newel first?

https://fbref.com/en/squads/f3aacc58/Hibernian-Stats

How accurate this website is I don’t know, but the more you look into it the more all stats appear to show Newell makes us less than the sum of our parts. His average points per match is actually the lowest in the whole squad. Only the January signings have a worse points per game average.

Doyle Hayes also wins considerably more tackles per game than Newell. Although he apparently wins the most tackles per game in the whole squad so maybe the website is making it up as they go along after all.

Genuinely Interested to hear from those that are fans of Newell what their take on these stats is.

Frazerbob
17-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Yet another player who seems to have ability, is very neat and tidy but simply does not influence a game to any extent. Has he ever taken a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us? Not that I can recall. On the flip side, he lost us any chance of a result yesterday.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 10:55 AM
At the end of the last window I was confident that Maloney’s failure to bring in centre mids would cost him his job. I still think that will be the case as if the club don’t act now, they will at the end of the season.
If, however, he somehow survives and starts the next season then he simply has to replace Newall and bring in a couple of quality centre mids. If he does that then maybe he has a chance to save his career.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 10:58 AM
Very overrated. We've an inflated opinion of him. Comfortable gig at Hibs. Not be prolific in any aspect of the game but become a fans favourite, somehow.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Very overrated. We've an inflated opinion of him. Comfortable gig at Hibs. Not be prolific in any aspect of the game but become a fans favourite, somehow.

The last bit has baffled me for a long time now?

Thegreenside
17-04-2022, 11:23 AM
A nothing player. Doesn’t defend. Doesn’t attack. Gives loads of fouls away and that’s about it.

absolutely spot on.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 11:29 AM
The last bit has baffled me for a long time now?

Think it's something in our fan base. Melkersen scores 2 goals for us and he's already made out to be the next Haland. We exaggerate our players too much. That's one of the biggest reasons why we are an easy target for a mocking. We big up a player that doesn't contribute much, give him contract extension and then he does nothing much in a big game. It's been like that for a long time.

Watch out for X, he'll score a hattrick against you. X plays like a Sunday league player and we get mocked.

fiolex1
17-04-2022, 11:31 AM
I think he let us down yesterday but gave his all, what did Doyle Hayes do?

bigwheel
17-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Think it's something in our fan base. Melkersen scores 2 goals for us and he's already made out to be the next Haland. We exaggerate our players too much. That's one of the biggest reasons why we are an easy target for a mocking. We big up a player that doesn't contribute much, give him contract extension and then he does nothing much in a big game. It's been like that for a long time.

Watch out for X, he'll score a hattrick against you. X plays like a Sunday league player and we get mocked.

Nobody is saying Melkerson will be the next great thing ….every fan base gets excited by anyone who looks like he’ll be a bit - we are no different . Newall is a good player in our league - if you can’t see that, then that’s about you …

madhatter
17-04-2022, 11:35 AM
Nobody is saying Melkerson will be the next great thing ….every fan base gets excited by anyone who looks like he’ll be a bit - we are no different . Newall is a good player in our league - if you can’t see that, then that’s about you …

Good player based on what? Assists, interceptions, goals, driving the team up the pitch? Genuine question. What stats have Newell as a standout?

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 11:39 AM
Good player based on what? Assists, interceptions, goals, driving the team up the pitch? Genuine question. What stats have Newell as a standout?

Percentage of a teams fans fooled into thinking he’s any good? Probably has that stat nailed.

Tyler Durden
17-04-2022, 12:07 PM
These recent discussions re Newell go round in circles. There are a number of posters who are just making a ***** of themselves by being unable to understand basic stats that measure the performance of a centre midfielder in the modern game. Not really worth trying.

If you don’t like him and want to criticise him fair enough. I think he was a total idiot to get sent off.

But for all those going on about him not driving the team forward etc, watch the start of the 2nd half again. Newell is forward to win us a few corners in the first 10 minutes. Has a blocked cross and then a shot from edge of the box. Must have imagined that since he never gets involved in the final third apparently.

If we have a decent coach in place, Newell can be a good player for Hibs. Poor season overall, as is the case for virtually every player with exception of maybe Porteous and Cadden.

Zambernardi1875
17-04-2022, 12:14 PM
He’s a player I’ll forget even played for us in 5years. The grey man

Key West
17-04-2022, 12:35 PM
These recent discussions re Newell go round in circles. There are a number of posters who are just making a ***** of themselves by being unable to understand basic stats that measure the performance of a centre midfielder in the modern game. Not really worth trying.

If you don’t like him and want to criticise him fair enough. I think he was a total idiot to get sent off.

But for all those going on about him not driving the team forward etc, watch the start of the 2nd half again. Newell is forward to win us a few corners in the first 10 minutes. Has a blocked cross and then a shot from edge of the box. Must have imagined that since he never gets involved in the final third apparently.

If we have a decent coach in place, Newell can be a good player for Hibs. Poor season overall, as is the case for virtually every player with exception of maybe Porteous and Cadden.

Most of the time he never gets out of first gear and I think that is what his detractors are alluding to, there is a player in there somewhere but we see that player very rarely,and that is disappointing, his best game was against Hearts at Easter Road, if he produced that kind of performance more often he would be a key player.

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2022, 12:53 PM
I've said it many times, he plays in lots of games where he is hardly noticed or influential in any way, then he has a stormer, where he drags the ball around as if its stuck to his boots and dictates the way we play very well.

Those games are not nearly enough for me, he clearly has very good ability, but unless he starts to show it all the time, he can go along with the manager.

eastmainsmsh
17-04-2022, 01:01 PM
First decent bid will see joe go

HairyMM
17-04-2022, 01:09 PM

100% agree ….he’ll be gutted that he let his teammates down but a very good player at this level.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 01:22 PM

He’ll be seeing out his contract then.

McD
17-04-2022, 07:23 PM

selective memories? Ffs! The guy has done heehaw in a Hibs jersey, we’re not talking about John mcginn here! Newell is a flatters to deceive merchant. Takes little responsibility for taking hold of a game, floats about the place, hardly ever seems to get into a sprint, gives away plenty fouls, rarely assists or scores, never dominates opposition players

:agree: And a straight leg to go with it, just fortunate that the leg went to the side of haring (who made a meal of it anyway). There’s absolutely no complaints about that yellow card at all

B.H.F.C
17-04-2022, 07:25 PM

I’d be surprised if anyone was looking to spend any kind of decent money on Newell.

angus hibby
17-04-2022, 09:13 PM

Thankfully our manager disagrees and he’s just been rewarded with a new contract, which I’m delighted about.

very good player and I imagine he’ll be gutted about yesterday. Split second decision to make a tackle and thought he could win the ball. Imagine he’d have been called out by some had he pulled out of the tackle. Just because he doesn’t score many, or have direct assists, folk think he’s useless. McGeouch and Fyvie weren’t high on goalscoring/assists either but both were very good players for us.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:20 PM
Thankfully our manager disagrees and he’s just been rewarded with a new contract, which I’m delighted about.

very good player and I imagine he’ll be gutted about yesterday. Split second decision to make a tackle and thought he could win the ball. Imagine he’d have been called out by some had he pulled out of the tackle. Just because he doesn’t score many, or have direct assists, folk think he’s useless. McGeouch and Fyvie weren’t high on goalscoring/assists either but both were very good players for us.

He's a decent squad player. People talk about him like he's a star player. There's reasons we're bottom 6 and midfield is a big contributor to it. When Newell wins the Scottish Cup with Hibs he can be talked about in the same regard as Fyvie and McGeouch. Until then he's not even close.

truehibernian
17-04-2022, 09:37 PM
He's a decent squad player. People talk about him like he's a star player. There's reasons we're bottom 6 and midfield is a big contributor to it. When Newell wins the Scottish Cup with Hibs he can be talked about in the same regard as Fyvie and McGeouch. Until then he's not even close.

A voice of reason. Newell is bang average and offers little in midfield. Tidy player, yes, no doubt, but doesn’t have the heart or drive to change games. Plays within himself and plays very safe football. I’ve been called out before but I always question his ‘injuries’ and I don’t think he has the inner innate strength to play through adversity, and others fall into that category too.

I was at the Old Firm game today and Scott Arfield epitomised what I want from a midfielder - changed the game, hungry, desire, skill and drive. Newell doesn’t have any of that in his locker.

easty
17-04-2022, 09:43 PM
When Newell wins the Scottish Cup with Hibs he can be talked about in the same regard as Fyvie and McGeouch. Until then he's not even close.

If that’s how it works then we’ve had a hell of a lot of very good midfielders who you wouldn’t talk about in the same regard as Fyvie or McGeough.

easty
17-04-2022, 09:46 PM
I was at the Old Firm game today and Scott Arfield epitomised what I want from a midfielder - changed the game, hungry, desire, skill and drive. Newell doesn’t have any of that in his locker.

Arfield is probably paid 4 or 5 times what Newell is.

TelaStella
17-04-2022, 09:49 PM
Regarding this apparent leak. Can I ask where this has come from? Saw or heard absolutely nout in the run up to yesterday to suggest what team we would put out. Frankly the whole support was astonished when it was announced so I’m struggling to buy the leak chat?

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:50 PM
If that’s how it works then we’ve had a hell of a lot of very good midfielders who you wouldn’t talk about in the same regard as Fyvie or McGeough.

I didnt make the original comparison. How does a midfielder that isn't great defensively and very inefficient offensively become comparable to cup winning legends?

People complain about tippy tappy passing and slow build up and use that to lay into Maloney. One of the biggest culprits of tippy tappy passing and slowing the game down? Newell. Ironic really.

angus hibby
17-04-2022, 09:54 PM
A voice of reason. Newell is bang average and offers little in midfield. Tidy player, yes, no doubt, but doesn’t have the heart or drive to change games. Plays within himself and plays very safe football. I’ve been called out before but I always question his ‘injuries’ and I don’t think he has the inner innate strength to play through adversity, and others fall into that category too.

Nonsense about his ‘injuries’. Was out for weeks and came straight back into the team when was nowhere near 100% fit (think it was for Motherwell Cup game?).
Also, played against United when nowhere near 100% fit as had had a sickness bug during the week.

truehibernian
17-04-2022, 09:57 PM

Slivka, Gogic, Hallberg, Wright, Campbell, Omeonga, Doyle-Hayes, Docherty, Irvine, Magennis, Newell, Vela, Malian, the list goes on.

The midfield recruitment has been dreadful, some permanently injured, some just utterly awful. arguably none that have really changed games, and I mean big games, and they’ve all failed when it mattered.

Midfield to front needs immediately rectified and if we’re hanging our hat on Joe Newell, sorry, I’m out !

truehibernian
17-04-2022, 10:00 PM
Nonsense about his ‘injuries’. Was out for weeks and came straight back into the team when was nowhere near 100% fit (think it was for Motherwell Cup game?).
Also, played against United when nowhere near 100% fit as had had a sickness bug during the week.

I stand by my post. You think it’s nonsense, I don’t - we’ll respectfully disagree.

truehibernian
17-04-2022, 10:03 PM
Arfield is probably paid 4 or 5 times what Newell is.

A pay packet doesn’t or shouldn’t ever mean you don’t have the sane drive and commitment. If anything it shows a player what can be achieved. I’m well aware Arfield gets paid more, but I don’t think he ever thinks of his pay packet when he plays. Inner innate will to win - that’s something every footballer should have in their make up.

sunshinejim
17-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Newell is a very good player. He was unlucky to be sent of yesterday. As other posters have stated that if he had the leeway of say being a Rangers or Hearts player he'd never have been sent off. i hope Hearts do complain when the are given the East Hampden area and that they are successful as it would begin the process of anti bigotry of which Hampden dumps its Protestant v Catholic seating plans.

Key West
17-04-2022, 10:14 PM
A pay packet doesn’t or shouldn’t ever mean you don’t have the sane drive and commitment. If anything it shows a player what can be achieved. I’m well aware Arfield gets paid more, but I don’t think he ever thinks of his pay packet when he plays. Inner innate will to win - that’s something every footballer should have in their make up.

The more I think about it there’s a lack of belief at Hibs, Newell along with others choose not be as good as they can be and settle for the easy options.

sunshinejim
17-04-2022, 10:20 PM
The more I think about it there’s a lack of belief at Hibs, Newell along with others choose not be as good as they can be and settle for the easy options.

Why would you think there is a 'lack of belief at Hibs'? You sound like a BBC jambo troll Ha Ha.

Key West
17-04-2022, 10:26 PM
Why would you think there is a 'lack of belief at Hibs'? You sound like a BBC jambo troll Ha Ha.

Interesting remarks.

sunshinejim
17-04-2022, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Key West;6927763]Interesting remarks.[/QUOT

Why?

Brightside
18-04-2022, 06:46 AM
Regarding this apparent leak. Can I ask where this has come from? Saw or heard absolutely nout in the run up to yesterday to suggest what team we would put out. Frankly the whole support was astonished when it was announced so I’m struggling to buy the leak chat?

I was shown the team 30 mins before it came out. The original source was an ex player.

easty
18-04-2022, 07:07 AM
I was shown the team 30 mins before it came out. The original source was an ex player.

Yeah me too.

Onion
18-04-2022, 07:17 AM

Which is why Maloney should have removed him. Newall had already had a couple of poor challenges and his second yellow was a matter of time. A more experienced manager would have hooked him and ensured we finished with 11 on the field.

Stubbsy90+2
18-04-2022, 07:18 AM
Slivka, Gogic, Hallberg, Wright, Campbell, Omeonga, Doyle-Hayes, Docherty, Irvine, Magennis, Newell, Vela, Malian, the list goes on.

The midfield recruitment has been dreadful, some permanently injured, some just utterly awful. arguably none that have really changed games, and I mean big games, and they’ve all failed when it mattered.

Midfield to front needs immediately rectified and if we’re hanging our hat on Joe Newell, sorry, I’m out !

Docherty was one we could have done with keeping.

Shame we didn’t manage. Great player and would have made a world of difference to this team.

Allant1981
18-04-2022, 07:49 AM
Docherty was one we could have done with keeping.

Shame we didn’t manage. Great player and would have made a world of difference to this team.

He is a good player now, certainly wasnt a great player then, he was ok, nothing more at the time

Stubbsy90+2
18-04-2022, 07:53 AM
He is a good player now, certainly wasnt a great player then, he was ok, nothing more at the time

He only managed 8 games before the season was stopped but he scored 3 goals and I thought was very good.

His mobility alone would improve our midfield to no end imo. I’ve not seen him since he left us but he also seems to always be fit.

Lee
18-04-2022, 08:16 AM
We'd be alot happier with Newell if he had an attacking, creative partner or two in the middle.

Having 2 or 3 of the same type of players playing CM every week just puts more emphasis on his flaws (lack or goals or forward runs/dribbles, for example).

I'd have him in over JDH imao (and JDH being back up, at this stage anyway) - give him the right foil in the engine room and we're probably not even having this debate.

Callum_62
18-04-2022, 08:22 AM
selective memories? Ffs! The guy has done heehaw in a Hibs jersey, we’re not talking about John mcginn here! Newell is a flatters to deceive merchant. Takes little responsibility for taking hold of a game, floats about the place, hardly ever seems to get into a sprint, gives away plenty fouls, rarely assists or scores, never dominates opposition players

:agree: And a straight leg to go with it, just fortunate that the leg went to the side of haring (who made a meal of it anyway). There’s absolutely no complaints about that yellow card at allFunnily enough I even remember posts critisizing Mcginn

Its an odd pursuit, being a football fan

Stubbsy90+2
18-04-2022, 08:41 AM
We'd be alot happier with Newell if he had an attacking, creative partner or two in the middle.

Having 2 or 3 of the same type of players playing CM every week just puts more emphasis on his flaws (lack or goals or forward runs/dribbles, for example).

I'd have him in over JDH imao (and JDH being back up, at this stage anyway) - give him the right foil in the engine room and we're probably not even having this debate.

Agree.

I don’t think Newell is as good as some do but I don’t think he’s terrible.

Our midfield is so poor in terms of only really having 3 players who play there. Campbell is a mile off being good enough and JDH probably isn’t good enough either. They are also all fairly alike in terms of what they offer.

Newell would do well if we had a better standard of player to play alongside him and if that player was also a different style of player. Someone with the legs to get around the pitch for example.

I’d say that we need to go out and sign someone with the attributes Magennis has who we can rely on.

Since452
18-04-2022, 08:45 AM
We were still the better side with 10 men but it took the wind out our sails at a time we were really dominating. The game was still there for us. That was frustrating. I'm being a bit of a hipocrite though as last week i was asking why nobody wanted to go through a Hearts player while they were tickling our bellies. I guess you heve to pick your battles and Joe didn't. That is football.

Stubbsy90+2
18-04-2022, 08:49 AM
We were still the better side with 10 men but it took the wind out our sails at a time we were really dominating. The game was still there for us. That was frustrating. I'm being a bit of a hipocrite though as last week i was asking why nobody wanted to go through a Hearts player while they were tickling our bellies. I guess you heve to pick your battles and Joe didn't. That is football.

If he put that tackle in on the edge of our box I think he’d get less criticism.

It was a shocker of a tackle to put in whilst you’re on a yellow and the opponents are 70 yards from your goals whilst you’re chasing the game and got them pinned back.

Nicho87
18-04-2022, 08:57 AM
Would understand the need for the challenge if it was a last gap challenge but it was in our own half

Poor decision that cost us a fair crack at the whip

Poor decision for newell

GreenCastle
18-04-2022, 08:58 AM
Newell, JDH and Magennis looked good early season but they hardly played together.

JDH is inconsistent- Hibs staff know this and they never know what type of performance he will give.

Newell - playing alongside Campbell and JDH doesn’t help him - would feel he would better with more energy beside him - even Stevenson helped but bottom line is that JDH, Newell and Campbell isn’t good enough.

2 out the 3 need replaced / improved.

Our midfield is so important and it’s been mentioned many times but the spine needs fixed.

Better Keeper
New centre back
Central midfielder - defensive and a play maker.
Improved striker who scores goals. Not a James Scott.

h1bs4life
18-04-2022, 12:24 PM
Bottler , weak mentality another one rewarded with a long term contract for nothing.
Disappears in games and then usually gets booked for lunging in or pulling back someone who has ran past him
We handout contract extensions for nothing.
What was the rush to give out contract extensions last November to Campbell , Doidge , Doyle Hayes , Hanlon and Stevenson could have waited till now or even to the end of the season.
To make matters worse weeks after contracts signed we sack the manager who probably ok’d them and bring in another manager who is stuck with them wether he wants them or not

J-C
18-04-2022, 12:31 PM
My views on Newell are well known, he's a decent tidy player, who when he can be arsed turning up is a very handy player but unfortunately he disappears all too often in big games, we need better and it's because of players like Newell we see ourselves where we are.

Tambo
18-04-2022, 12:37 PM
I like Joe when he drives forward with the ball or tries to play a diagonal and forward pass but just don't see it enough.

It's not the first time also he has went in for stupid tackles or gave away silly fouls but now he has the new contract we are stuck with him.

easty
18-04-2022, 12:42 PM
I'd happily replace all our players if we can find better ones to come in. I'd be replacing a load of other players before Newell though. We need someone to play the Magennis role, and a better player in to replace JDH. For me they are far more important positions to fill, before we look at moving on Newell.

Newell, in my opinion, would start for every team in the league outwith the Old Firm.

The Modfather
18-04-2022, 12:55 PM
So what’s the consensus on what Newell’s role should be as part of a midfield rebuild? A defensive midfielder in the McGeough role? With two players who will drive forward with the ball, run ahead of the ball and get into the box, 2 box to box midfielders in essence, to compliment him? Or one box to box midfield and a creator like Allan or Latapy?

Tambo
18-04-2022, 12:59 PM
So what’s the consensus on what Newell’s role should be as part of a midfield rebuild? A defensive midfielder in the McGeough role? With two players who will drive forward with the ball, run ahead of the ball and get into the box, 2 box to box midfielders in essence, to compliment him? Or one box to box midfield and a creator like Allan or Latapy?

Would be happy to get in better quality and keep him as a squad player, we can't go into next season with Newell, JDH, Campbell and Tait.

keep the faith
18-04-2022, 01:05 PM
I'd happily replace all our players if we can find better ones to come in. I'd be replacing a load of other players before Newell though. We need someone to play the Magennis role, and a better player in to replace JDH. For me they are far more important positions to fill, before we look at moving on Newell.

Newell, in my opinion, would start for every team in the league outwith the Old Firm.

100%. The stick Newell is taking from the very vocal minority on here is disgusting. A very good player who is more than good enough for us going forward. It's rare to have a player of his ability get stuck in as much as him and he really cares about the club.
Watching JDH and Campbell in our midfield and then deciding to hound out Newell is classic hysteria. I think its an opportunity for the haters to wheel out the "show pony" nonsense again.
I can agree he should have been taken off before getting booked again, but for who?? Any sub would have weakened us. Maloney gambled and it didn't pay off.
You cant blame Newell for getting dug in - and that lot made the most of things. The worst tackle of the game came not from Newell but someone who should have been sent off when he was supposed to be the fresh legs. Not a lot being said about that.
Lots of surgery required to this team but Joe Newell is not the issue.

JohnM1875
18-04-2022, 01:06 PM

I like Newell as a player and was pleased he signed an extension, but him getting sent off in that semi has really pissed me off, so probably not the best time to comment.

I do think he could play the deeper role, but when he does he needs to look forward and more often than not when he is deeper he doesn't do that and just gives it back to Porto/Hanlon. He's nowhere near as good at McGeouch at the role, then again Dylan had a fully fit Allan and McGinn in there with him.

I think he's better further forward but then he can't shoot and barely has any assists as folk have rightly pointed out. So I do think we should be looking for better in the summer and if Newell is good enough he can force his way back into the starting XI.

angus hibby
18-04-2022, 01:36 PM
100%. The stick Newell is taking from the very vocal minority in his is disgusting. A very good player who is more than good enough for us going forward. It's rare to have a player of his ability get stuck in as much as him and he really cares about the club.
Watching JDH and Campbell in our midfield and then deciding to hound out Newall is cl assic hysteria. I think its an opportunity for the haters to wheel out the "show pony" nonsense again.
I can agree he should have been taken off before getting booked again, but for who?? Any sub would have weakened us. Maloney gambled and it didn't pay off.
You cant blame newall for getting dug in - and that lot made the most of things. The worst tackle of the game came not from newall but someone who should have been sent off when he was supposed to be the fresh legs. Not a lot being said about that.
Lots of surgery required to this team but Joe Newall is not the issue.

👏👏👏. Great post. I like Doyle Hayes too but him and Newell are similar players with both probably at their best as the defensive midfielder. We probably get away with playing both if we had better forward players and were able to play 4-2-3-1.

Heisenberg
18-04-2022, 01:42 PM
👏👏👏. Great post. I like Doyle Hayes too but him and Newell are similar players with both probably at their best as the defensive midfielder. We probably get away with playing both if we had better forward players and were able to play 4-2-3-1.

I remember the guy that runs the Pie and Bovril account on Twitter saying previously that JDH was best for St Mirren in a more advanced role. Not sure I see that in him from his time at Hibs right enough.

lucky
18-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Newell is a decent player but his sending off on Saturday was stupid but he’s not the first Hibs player this season to make a rash tackle when on a booking. I also think Campbell was lucky not to get sent off.

jacomo
18-04-2022, 01:48 PM

In this formation we don’t have space for JDH and ‘the Magennis role’. There are only 2 spots in central midfield.

Key West
18-04-2022, 02:11 PM
100%. The stick Newell is taking from the very vocal minority in his is disgusting. A very good player who is more than good enough for us going forward. It's rare to have a player of his ability get stuck in as much as him and he really cares about the club.
Watching JDH and Campbell in our midfield and then deciding to hound out Newall is cl assic hysteria. I think its an opportunity for the haters to wheel out the "show pony" nonsense again.
You cant blame newall for getting dug in - and that lot made the most of things. The worst tackle of the game came not from newall but someone who should have been sent off when he was supposed to be the fresh legs. Not a lot being said about that.

He is certainly not hated some people think he is a very good player others have a different view, his sending off played a big part in making us weaker, the critism he has taken for that is deserved, he probably thinks that as well.

Highwayman
18-04-2022, 03:42 PM
So thats Joe Newell telt then.

(1) He’s a crap footballer.

(2) He lives in Wallyford.

(3) He got done recently for drunk driving.

The chap is obviously not fit for purpose and should be transported to Rwanda sans delai.

Ah the wonderful world of hibs.net.

B.H.F.C
18-04-2022, 05:07 PM

I don’t think Newell is being hounded at all in comparison to the other two you mention, particularly Campbell. I think the verdict on Campbell is pretty unanimous. Newell is a better player than Campbell, probably better than JDH but that, in the the view of quite a few, just makes him the best of a bad bunch and not some kind of top player that others think he is.

J-C
18-04-2022, 05:13 PM

Not stick, many fans think he doesn't show it enough, he can be very infuriating by disappearing in games and then the following week he's MOM, very inconsistent but that applies to the majority of our squad.

Nicho87
18-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Apparently said in a barbers last week hearts have a better team than us

Pathetic mind set

superfurryhibby
18-04-2022, 10:31 PM

Pathetic mind set

I heard he told a Staffie at the coop in Tranent that Hibs were dug meat.

Barking mad.

CMac1988
18-04-2022, 10:49 PM

Pathetic mind set

I mean he's not wrong...

If you were to put together a first team squad from both teams based on performances over the last few months, we'd have about 3 players in it at a push.

Pretending we're better than we are for most of the season is the reason we are where we are.

Equally he could've said that in reponse to a number of questions. Could be downplaying the match to appear less arrogant, albeit thaty's never really worked for the club before. May feel he's being honest but feels that we have a chance if the team push to compete etc. is that such a bad thing to do? Should he just lie and then look stupid next time he's in? If so should he care?

I wouldn't be to bothered about something he's said without knowing the context surrounding it.

LewysGot2
18-04-2022, 10:55 PM
I mean he's not wrong...

If you were to put together a first team squad from both teams based on performances over the last few months, we'd have about 3 players in it at a push.

Pretending we're better than we are for most of the season is the reason we are where we are.

Equally he could've said that in reponse to a number of questions. Could be downplaying the match to appear less arrogant, albeit thaty's never really worked for the club before. May feel he's being honest but feels that we have a chance if the team push to compete etc. is that such a bad thing to do? Should he just lie and then look stupid next time he's in? If so should he care?

I wouldn't be to bothered about something he's said without knowing the context surrounding it.

Totally.

tamig
18-04-2022, 10:59 PM

Pathetic mind set

I wouldn’t think Joe would be frequenting a “barbers” with his quality barnett.

FitbaFolkKen
18-04-2022, 11:03 PM
Good player who made a mistake in a game. I'd agree he doesn't score enough goals, he had a fresh air swipe from 4/5 yards, fell over and blocked Caddens first attempt before Cadden scored.

Comes across as pretty strong mentally too, dealt with the disastrous start to his Hibs career.

Hibiza
19-04-2022, 02:19 PM
Joe let us down - big time , with a stupid challenge. An extremely average player at best, wouldn't be missed.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2022, 02:30 PM
Joe let us down - big time , with a stupid challenge. An extremely average player at best, wouldn't be missed.

Yes, he wont be missed as he isn't going anywhere.

You think on his absolutely best day, he is average? Wow.

At best, he was playing every week for a side who finished 3rd and reached back to back finals. Even his biggest critics on here admit he is a very good player on his day.

MrRobot
19-04-2022, 05:41 PM

Pathetic mind set

they do though

WeeRussell
19-04-2022, 05:47 PM
they do though

Absolutely - stating the obvious to say they’ve currently a better team than us, and depending on the context, can’t see any real issue with Newell admitting it.

Hearts wouldn’t be sweating on the fitness of Joe Newell to have anything about their midfield at any point this season, for example.

cameronw-hfc
19-04-2022, 05:58 PM

Pathetic mind set

Can't tell if this is a wind up or not