PDA

View Full Version : Squad clear out

Diclonius
16-04-2022, 03:53 PM
I imagine that there will be some major surgery to the sqaud for the first time in a good few years, especially if Gordon means business re spending. Here's my opinion on who we have at present:

Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Mueller, Stevenson, Mitchell, Jasper, Dabrowski, Doyle-Hayes, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen, Henderson

Go: Wright, Doidge, Gogic, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Campbell, Bushiri

Undecided: Macey, Hanlon, McGinn, Magennis, Nisbet, MacKay, Hauge

Porteous should be offered our top wage and the captaincy. Doidge I don't think is going to come back from his injury, Hanlon and McGinn are getting on a bit now, Macey I'm not convinced is a #1. Magennis definitely has some quality but no point keeping him if he never plays, and I would honestly take the first decent offer we get for Nisbet as he is not developing here.

500miles
16-04-2022, 04:01 PM
Hanlon and McGinn may have taken a bit of settling in after injury, but we saw the value of them when they did.

We need some experience in attack and some pace.

H18 SFR
16-04-2022, 04:03 PM
I can see Doig and Porteous being sold and the money used for a complete rebuild.

Steve20
16-04-2022, 04:03 PM
Newell and Doyle Hayes are just not good. No way should they stay.

hibee-boys
16-04-2022, 04:09 PM
Porteous will be sold but only because, I imagine, he’ll not be signing a new contract. Other than a couple of errors he’s had a great season and really has kicked on, I’d be gutted to lose him, especially for some of the figures that were being banded about previous, circa £1 million🙈 Doig hasn’t progressed as much as I’d have hoped but playing him out of position doesn’t help, he may grow into a CB or LCB role but at the moment he isn’t strong or streetwise enough for those positions. With the Boyle money, and likely Porto money, in the bank I think Doig will stay for another season at least.

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 04:12 PM

Newall is a very good player and should absolutely stay.

Pretty Boy
16-04-2022, 04:12 PM
Clear out one of the keepers and keep the other as back up. A new number 1 should be close to a priority.

From the defence I'd have no issue with Mcginn, McGregor and Rocky going.

Midfield Gogic and Murphy are as good as away already. Wright, Campbell and Allan can join them. I wouldn't be distraught to see Doyle Hayes move on either if better came in. Mueller and Jasper I'm undecided on but the former looks powderpuff and the latter flatters to deceive. Henderson is all round better than both.

Up top Scott will go, I think Doidge may be a spent force and I'd be tempted to cash in on Nisbet as well.

The issue is we are also likely to lose our last 2 really saleable assets in Porteous and Doig so that opens up another 2 spaces. Stevenson isn't getting any younger either. Even allowing for one or both or the 1st 2 staying we still have a huge rebuilding job on our hands. It's criminal the squad has been allowed to get into such a mess.

Smartie
16-04-2022, 04:15 PM
Porteous will be sold but only because, I imagine, he’ll not be signing a new contract. Other than a couple of errors he’s had a great season and really has kicked on, I’d be gutted to lose him, especially for some of the figures that were being banded about previous, circa £1 million🙈 Doig hasn’t progressed as much as I’d have hoped but playing him out of position doesn’t help, he may grow into a CB or LCB role but at the moment he isn’t strong or streetwise enough for those positions. With the Boyle money, and likely Porto money, in the bank I think Doig will stay for another season at least.

Porteous has been excellent at times this season but his daft moments have continued to cost us.

We could have done with him being less rusty going into today’s game and I thought he had a ropey first 45 before improving as the game went on.

He’ll be away this summer and will take a bit of replacing because even in spite of aforementioned daft moments, our team looks infinitely better when he plays.

Nicho87

Said threads ago sums up our club dishing out extensions which aren’t merited

SteveHFC
Clear out one of the keepers and keep the other as back up. A new number 1 should be close to a priority.

From the defence I'd have no issue with Mcginn, McGregor and Rocky going.

Midfield Gogic and Murphy are as good as away already. Wright, Campbell and Allan can join them. I wouldn't be distraught to see Doyle Hayes move on either if better came in. Mueller and Jasper I'm undecided on but the former looks powderpuff and the latter flatters to deceive. Henderson is all round better than both.

Up top Scott will go, I think Doidge may be a spent force and I'd be tempted to cash in on Nisbet as well.

The issue is we are also likely to lose our last 2 really saleable assets in Porteous and Doig so that opens up another 2 spaces. Stevenson isn't getting any younger either. Even allowing for one or both or the 1st 2 staying we still have a huge rebuilding job on our hands. It's criminal the squad has been allowed to get into such a mess.

One of the first players I'd be looking to get rid off is Macey.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 04:17 PM

He was a disgrace today. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
16-04-2022, 04:19 PM
Contract extension for Cadden and try to get Clarke on longer deal . Clearout needed but people saying get rid of Nesbit and McGennis - what club would sign players with serious fitness issues ?

Pretty Boy
16-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Contract extension for Cadden and try to get Clarke on longer deal . Clearout needed but people saying get rid of Nesbit and McGennis - what club would sign players with serious fitness issues ?

Hibs?

CL0762
16-04-2022, 04:24 PM

Nisbet doesn’t have serious fitness issues? That’s the first serious injury of his career.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 04:25 PM

A nothing player who absolutely chucked his pals under the bus.

Should never play for Hibs again.

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 04:28 PM
They have needed a squad clearout for the past year or so, but quality to replace comes at a price and dont know if Hibs can financially compete anymore with the other 2 we are meant to compete with. The sheep and the manky ones on the other side of the city both have more finance.
The younger players will all need a season or two before they can be considered for the first team, but it is looking promising if we can build a good spine to the side, old Bill Shankly who knew a wee bit about building teams used to buy a good goalie, good centre Half and good centre forward, all 3 at the time just happened to be Scots, but that is how he done it, then brought in the players to play around the main 3.
:thumbsup:

Basildon Hibs
16-04-2022, 04:29 PM
I can see Doig and Porteous being sold and the money used for a complete rebuild.

I seriously think you're over estimating just how much we'd actually get for them ..😉

Lago
16-04-2022, 04:29 PM
I imagine that there will be some major surgery to the sqaud for the first time in a good few years, especially if Gordon means business re spending. Here's my opinion on who we have at present:

Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Mueller, Stevenson, Mitchell, Jasper, Dabrowski, Doyle-Hayes, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen, Henderson

Go: Wright, Doidge, Gogic, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Campbell, Bushiri

Porteous should be offered our top wage and the captaincy. Doidge I don't think is going to come back from his injury, Hanlon and McGinn are getting on a bit now, Macey I'm not convinced is a #1. Magennis definitely has some quality but no point keeping him if he never plays, and I would honestly take the first decent offer we get for Nisbet as he is not developing here.
Gogic left in January

IberianHibernian
16-04-2022, 04:32 PM
Nisbet doesn’t have serious fitness issues? That’s the first serious injury of his career.Thought he was out till about November . Not many clubs would want to sign him now .

CL0762
16-04-2022, 04:34 PM
Thought he was out till about November . Not many clubs would want to sign him now .

He doesn’t have a ‘fitness issue’ though, it’s a bad injury from a tackle.

jakedance
16-04-2022, 04:36 PM
I’d want to keep Stevenson but that’s about it. We should be trying for better than literally everyone in the squad.

Realistically though, I’d want to keep Porteous (likely sold), Doig and McGennis (if we can be confident in his fitness). Jasper, Mueller, Henderson and Mikelsson I’m undecided on and probably deserve some time. The rest can bolt.

fiolex1
16-04-2022, 04:36 PM

Agree, McGinn in the same bracket

Northernhibee
16-04-2022, 04:37 PM
One of the first players I'd be looking to get rid off is Macey.

His shot stopping stats are very poor.

loanheadhibby
16-04-2022, 04:39 PM

You are deluded, contributes nothing.

IberianHibernian
16-04-2022, 04:49 PM
He doesn’t have a ‘fitness issue’ though, it’s a bad injury from a tackle.Am aware of that but point is we`re unlikely to be able to sell him this summer if we want to and / or player wants .

CL0762
16-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Am aware of that but point is we`re unlikely to be able to sell him this summer if we want to and / or player wants .

Aww right aye, thought you meant he was like Magennis with the persistent injuries 👍🏻

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 04:57 PM
A nothing player who absolutely chucked his pals under the bus.

Should never play for Hibs again.

OK. That's in no way OTT....

Haymaker
16-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Clear out the forwards (except The Hoff) and bring in Griffiths and Cummings for experience, bring through the young lads O'Connor, young etc

LustForLeith
16-04-2022, 05:24 PM

Has Gordon said he’s splashing the cash?

And do we need a massive clear out and a whole team of players to come in so we start all over again?

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 05:34 PM
Has Gordon said he’s splashing the cash?

And do we need a massive clear out and a whole team of players to come in so we start all over again?

We don’t need a massive clear out but we do need to sign two top quality centre mids and a couple of decent forwards. If Maloney had done that in January he might not be facing calls for his sacking.

hibee1875
16-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Darren Fletcher is pushing for McGinn to be signed for Man Utd.

If we don’t take that money and overhaul the squad I’ll be severely disappointed.

I’m fully being the business plan of buy young talented players with the hope to sell on but we have enough of them now. The next window must be about getting experience in.

H18 SFR
16-04-2022, 05:37 PM
I seriously think you're over estimating just how much we'd actually get for them ..😉

Fair point, rebuild within the financial parameters the two fees would allow.

Greencore
16-04-2022, 05:42 PM

If we don’t take that money and overhaul the squad I’ll be severely disappointed.

I’m fully being the business plan of buy young talented players with the hope to sell on but we have enough of them now. The next window must be about getting experience in.

It will go towards vegan food at the new bar in the west stand.

hibee1875
16-04-2022, 05:43 PM
We don’t need a massive clear out but we do need to sign two top quality centre mids and a couple of decent forwards. If Maloney had done that in January he might not be facing calls for his sacking.

We need an experienced spine but I feel like we’ve needed that for the last x windows

B.H.F.C
16-04-2022, 05:44 PM
OK. That's in no way OTT....

In what way? What’s he given us this year?

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2022, 05:48 PM

They probably will be sold, not for a rebuild but to balance the books.
Unless someone with a shed load of cash appears on the horizon who wants to invest in the team and not fancy gimmicks like big screens, we are destined to be also rans for the immediate future.
Provided they spend wisely which I fear they will, we certainly will not be competing with Hearts given the huge boost in funds coming their way next season.

JamesHFC
16-04-2022, 05:51 PM
New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Ball winning midfielder, box to box midfielder and advanced playmaker.

Two new strikers.

Roughly at least 8 signings needed imo. I expect there will be plenty of outgoings in the summer too so our incoming signings could go into double figures.

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 05:52 PM
Unless someone with a shed load of cash appears on the horizon who wants to invest in the team and not fancy gimmicks like big screens, we are destined to be also rans for the immediate future.
Provided they spend wisely which I fear they will, we certainly will not be competing with Hearts given the huge boost in funds coming their way next season.

Have to agree with you Alfred, we have wandered into this situation sleepwalking and now it is perhaps too late.
:top marks

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2022, 05:56 PM
New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

Roughly at least 8 signings needed imo. I expect there will be plenty of outgoings in the summer too so our incoming signings could go into double figures.

Unless you win the Euro millions, that is complete pie in the sky. We could certainly sign 8 players but they would be no better quality or worse than the lot we have now.

JamesHFC
16-04-2022, 05:57 PM
Unless you win the Euro millions, that is complete pie in the sky. We could certainly sign 8 players but they would be no better quality or worse than the lot we have now.

We can get better players than we have now, they are out there.

Keith_M
16-04-2022, 06:07 PM

Balancing the books is not an issue for us, as we made a profit last year.

In the last three seasons, we've played in six semi finals and two finals, That's surely earned us decent money as well.

Smartie
16-04-2022, 06:08 PM
New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

I don’t think you’re far off the mark here.

We arguably need more.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2022, 06:09 PM

The McGinn money isn't coming. He is not going to Man United this summer.

AL-Qaholik
16-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Wouldn’t be fussed if any of the current squad left. That’s how bad we are.
Given the choice, I would keep Clarke, Cadden, Porteous and Mitchell.
And that’s about it. Enormous rebuild required IMO.

Keyser Sauzee
16-04-2022, 06:13 PM
Of the best teams in my time watching Hibs we’ve had real drive in the middle of the park and I think if you are to be a really good team in Scotland u need that, Newell shows it occasionally but nowhere near enough. Doyle-Hayes is so pedestrian, plays the safe backwards pass most of the time and just isnt good enough (and I say that as someone who wanted him signed on a longer deal after a few games of the season). We need to priorities a player with drive to play in the there along with Newell.

LunasBoots
16-04-2022, 06:20 PM
New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

Agreed. Big big rebuild is needed, are the club up for it going on previous windows? Who knows, but they need to be to fix this mess.

hibee1875
16-04-2022, 06:26 PM
The McGinn money isn't coming. He is not going to Man United this summer.

Feeling, thought or fact?

hibee_girl
16-04-2022, 06:33 PM
I’d want to keep Stevenson but that’s about it. We should be trying for better than literally everyone in the squad.

Realistically though, I’d want to keep Porteous (likely sold), Doig and McGennis (if we can be confident in his fitness). Jasper, Mueller, Henderson and Mikelsson I’m undecided on and probably deserve some time. The rest can bolt.

Stevenson is signed until 2023 so he’s not going anywhere thankfully.

Agree Porteous will be sold but if we could get him to sign a new deal and stay for another year that would be amazing.

I’d keep Melkerson, there’s a player in there. He’s a young one who will come good, we shouldn’t be in the position where we’re relying on him to be our main striker right now.

Jasper I’m undecided about. Mueller I like but he needs to learn how to tackle, he’s too scared of a challenge right now.

Wasn’t fussed for Henderson before today but if he can play like that more regularly he can stay, wouldn’t be fussed if JDH left but can’t see that happening.

I’d keep McGinn, he’s a good player to have the squad.

Nicho87
16-04-2022, 06:36 PM
Keeper
Centre half x 2
New midfield x 3
1 x winger
2 x forwards

Out
Wright
Macey
McGinn
Allan
Doidge
Mcgregor

16-04-2022, 06:36 PM
Balancing the books is not an issue for us, as we made a profit last year.

In the last three seasons, we've played in six semi finals and two finals, That's surely earned us decent money as well.

No gate receipts for half of them as they were in front of no fans.

Stubbsy90+2
16-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Stevenson, Mitchell, Hanlon, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen

Go: Wright, Doidge, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Campbell, Bushiri, Macey, Magennis, Dabrowski, JDH, McGinn

Undecided: Jasper, Nisbet, MacKay, Hauge, Henderson, Tait, Mueller

JohnM1875
16-04-2022, 08:06 PM
No chance of it happening with his new deal but I'd definitely be trying to punt JDH.

IberianHibernian
16-04-2022, 09:11 PM
Very easy to make long lists of players you want to leave even if players often have long contracts to be paid off . What`s much more difficult is finding replacements who are actually better than those leaving , consistent and fit . Even in a disappointing season like this there aren`t many non Old Firm opposition players who really stick out and they`re often loanees ( Ronan at St Mirren , Ellis at Hearts ...) so unlikely to stay long and are not usually available till late in the transfer window .We`ve done well to sign good Scottish players like both McGinns , Magennis , Cadden and Nesbit though all at a price . Hence need to cast net wider - signings of Muller and Norwegians are a good start though I`m not sure how much Brexit may limit signings . I`m optimistic about longer term planning with Under 23 team etc but only if fans show some patience .

cameronw-hfc
16-04-2022, 09:37 PM
Feeling, thought or fact?

Incredibly unlikely. Tried to explain on here before that it's never been likely, and got called all sorts for saying he wouldn't be leaving Villa. Villa will demand too much, United aren't what they use to be with half the pulling power, club in turmoil.

He's not worth the money Villa will ask for, they've always been my English team and whilst I love John, there's a lot of talk within the Villa fans whether he needs to be replaced or not. Quality is evident, consistency is a nightmare for him. Has a good run then goes into a spell of honking form and has kinda been a trend for him in the Prem. Again, I love John as much as any Hibs fan, and I fully expect the green tinted specs to come out and slate me again for daring to say this, but he won't be going to UTD because they won't pay the 50/60m Villa will demand, and with the way UTD are going, it's not even a certain he wants to go to a sinking ship.

He's not the same Mcginn as he was at Hibs, great player, but not exactly the best in the team or even top 3/4 in the Villa team. Again, im not trying to diss him, just be realistic from someone that's seen him weekly for the past God knows how many years now at Hibs and then at Villa.

Edit- I don't mean he's changed as a played in the last paragraph, I mean he's not got the same impact on this Villa team that he had on Hibs, or even Villa in the championship, he's incredibly inconsistent for Villa in the Prem.

tonyrougier123
16-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Incredibly unlikely. Tried to explain on here before that it's never been likely, and got called all sorts for saying he wouldn't be leaving Villa. Villa will demand too much, United aren't what they use to be with half the pulling power, club in turmoil.

He's not worth the money Villa will ask for, they've always been my English team and whilst I love John, there's a lot of talk within the Villa fans whether he needs to be replaced or not. Quality is evident, consistency is a nightmare for him. Has a good run then goes into a spell of honking form and has kinda been a trend for him in the Prem. Again, I love John as much as any Hibs fan, and I fully expect the green tinted specs to come out and slate me again for daring to say this, but he won't be going to UTD because they won't pay the 50/60m Villa will demand, and with the way UTD are going, it's not even a certain he wants to go to a sinking ship.

He's not the same Mcginn as he was at Hibs, great player, but not exactly the best in the team or even top 3/4 in the Villa team. Again, im not trying to diss him, just be realistic from someone that's seen him weekly for the past God knows how many years now at Hibs and then at Villa.

Edit- I don't mean he's changed as a played in the last paragraph, I mean he's not got the same impact on this Villa team that he had on Hibs, or even Villa in the championship, he's incredibly inconsistent for Villa in the Prem.
Without the green tints whenever I’ve watched villa,mcginn has either assisted or been a catalyst in build up to anything positive they do.
Not to mention his amazing international performances for Scotland.

His Twitter is always lit up by positivity towards him after games as well,I don’t think I’ve read a critical tweet towards him.

I don’t think Gerrard takes him off or drops him much either.

The Harp Awakes
16-04-2022, 10:03 PM
No chance of it happening with his new deal but I'd definitely be trying to punt JDH.

He is the least of our problems. A defensive midfielder who keeps possession and rarely gives the ball away. Jeez and even in that position he's probably our top scoring midfielder this year.

Get a couple of aggressive, attack minded midfielders in and JDH will do just fine.

ekhibee
16-04-2022, 10:07 PM
For me sometimes it's difficult keeping track of who's a loan deal and who's actually our player. It looks like, even though we have got some revenue streams, we are still way off being able to do the kind of overhaul that IMO is needed, but that's just my opinion. And don't forget, if we book a taxi for Maloney and Caldwell there will be a compensation issue as well. We need adaptable players who can adapt to a change in system and they cost money. Too many of our players in recent years have been good, solid players but only really perform when we play a particular system. We need to be able to switch to a Plan B when necessary, and I'm not sure that a/ most of the players we have are really capable of that and b/ that we don't have the kind of finances necessary to effect those kind of changes in personnel. Hope I'm wrong though.

Daily Hibs
16-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Clear every one of them out and start again.

16-04-2022, 10:11 PM
New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

This is also my take on where we are now. We have not strengthened the midfield and attacking players when we should have and now our defenders are all of an age (excluding Porto) where they need to be replaced, and there is no guarantee that we will hold onto Porto. Also agreed Macey needs replaced in goals. It is disgraceful that the club now find themselves in this position and it is down to really poor management of the club. How on earth will they now be able to fund the required number of changes.

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-04-2022, 10:12 PM
Clear every one of them out and start again.

All of them? Put the pint down n go to sleep.

Daily Hibs
16-04-2022, 10:12 PM
New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

Yes, a whole new team required with players who are mentally strong.

Daily Hibs
16-04-2022, 10:13 PM
All of them? Put the pint down n go to sleep.

Yes, all of them.

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-04-2022, 10:13 PM
Yes, all of them.

Jesus wept

Sir David Gray
16-04-2022, 10:18 PM
I genuinely wouldn't be bothered if any of the current squad left tomorrow.

I'd like McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson to remain at the club in some capacity but I wouldn't lose any sleep if any of them left tomorrow.

cameronw-hfc
17-04-2022, 01:03 AM
Without the green tints whenever I’ve watched villa,mcginn has either assisted or been a catalyst in build up to anything positive they do.
Not to mention his amazing international performances for Scotland.

His Twitter is always lit up by positivity towards him after games as well,I don’t think I’ve read a critical tweet towards him.

I don’t think Gerrard takes him off or drops him much either.

I think John is perfect for Villa, personally, however I was trying to give a balanced view, ie, there's a section of the support that don't rate him at Villa. He doesn't score nearly enough goals compared to his Scotland form however.

He's got it all there to be a top, top player, but he's not really grown in the last year or two. He still runs into trouble a lot and gives away slack passes, but he also scores the odd screamer and his driving runs are integral to Villa's style of play.

I wasn't trying to bash, I'm just meaning he divides a lot of opinion with the Villa fans. I follow a few big accounts on socials that regularly slate him and get 3/4k likes whenever they do, so yeah, I rate him, I think he's class, but he's not quite as important to this Villa team as he is/was to Hibs/Scotland.

It could be because he plays as more of an 8 at Villa and more of a second striker for Scotland, but his consistency has been a real issue the last year or two, along with the rest of the squad right enough.

heid the baw
17-04-2022, 03:11 AM
The biggest difficulty rebuilding will be the financial hit due to a decline in season ticket renewals. Poor quality football coupled with rising living costs make for challenging times. There is also a growing apathy/disconnect between team and support that you can feel at games.
Winning today would only have papered the cracks, this team would have lost the final and lets be honest, they should be nowhere near a European competition.
I would like to see a big clear out and some younger ambitious players brought in.
Maloney was never my choice but we stick with him for next season.
I will continue my HSL payments, but probably won't renew my season ticket and will just select the games l want to attend

Brightside
17-04-2022, 06:56 AM

Porto won’t be captain

truehibernian
17-04-2022, 06:57 AM
Porto won’t be captain

I don’t think he’ll be here next season.

Coco Bryce
17-04-2022, 07:33 AM
Porto won’t be captain

He'll be away in the summer.

LewysGot2
17-04-2022, 07:37 AM
He'll be away in the summer.

Definitely looking that way and the club will look to cash in before he can speak to others for nothing. The public flogging of him by all and sundry isn't likely encouraging him to stay but I think he was going anyway. He's turned down everything Hibs have offered to try and extend his deal.

Coco Bryce
17-04-2022, 07:42 AM
Definitely looking that way and the club will look to cash in before he can speak to others for nothing. The public flogging of him by all and sundry isn't likely encouraging him to stay but I think he was going anyway. He's turned down everything Hibs have offered to try and extend his deal.

He has. There are a few teams after him I've heard. All offering much more cash than Hibs could afford.

Hibs90
17-04-2022, 07:45 AM
A shot on target against Macey is practically a goal. Marciano streets ahead of him. So I’d start with him.

mcfly
17-04-2022, 07:51 AM
Need a new goalie
2 strongcentre backs
Ball winning midfielder
Striker

Need a ruthless clearout as well - no sentiment

Too many continuous losers in that team. We need winners

Greenworld
17-04-2022, 07:55 AM
I think John is perfect for Villa, personally, however I was trying to give a balanced view, ie, there's a section of the support that don't rate him at Villa. He doesn't score nearly enough goals compared to his Scotland form however.

He's got it all there to be a top, top player, but he's not really grown in the last year or two. He still runs into trouble a lot and gives away slack passes, but he also scores the odd screamer and his driving runs are integral to Villa's style of play.

I wasn't trying to bash, I'm just meaning he divides a lot of opinion with the Villa fans. I follow a few big accounts on socials that regularly slate him and get 3/4k likes whenever they do, so yeah, I rate him, I think he's class, but he's not quite as important to this Villa team as he is/was to Hibs/Scotland.

It could be because he plays as more of an 8 at Villa and more of a second striker for Scotland, but his consistency has been a real issue the last year or two, along with the rest of the squad right enough.At villa he plays a deeper role . I watch most of villa's games and he almost never wastes a pass .
He would be fantastic at man utd but liverpool are also interested klopp things he is outstanding .
A ready made replacement for Jordan Henderson

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Greenworld
17-04-2022, 07:58 AM
Need a new goalie
2 strongcentre backs
Ball winning midfielder
Striker

Too many continuous losers in that team. We need winnersSaid this for seasons now spine of the team is where you spend the money and that where we need new players a new keeper is a must macey gives no confidence to defence .

Greenworld
17-04-2022, 08:35 AM
Two players out of contract are ;
Zander Clark goalkeeper
Jamie mccart center half

Like the goalie

Thoughts anyone

madhatter
17-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Two players out of contract are ;
Zander Clark goalkeeper
Jamie mccart center half

Like the goalie

Thoughts anyone

Avoid. Signing players from St Johnstone hasn't worked out for us recently. Liam Craig, Drey Wright...

Tambo
17-04-2022, 08:43 AM
Only thing I am worried about which I said in one of the Maloney thread is who does he expect to come in and improve us on our budget?

If he really wants to implement and play this style 100% of the time then it would cost millions for me.

McGruber
17-04-2022, 08:55 AM
There's loads I'd empty, some I'd keep - none of it matters if Maloney is here though.

number9dream
17-04-2022, 09:11 AM
We don't exactly have many sellable assets, do we? Porteous and Doig are probably the only ones and their respective values will have diminished this season, with the latter going off the boil a bit and Porto nearer the end of his contract and attracting lots of negative headlines.
The money we got for Boyle will disappear quickly if season ticket sales drop off dramatically, while some of it has already been wasted in January.
Like others, I'm uncomfortable with us taking an interest free Covid loan from the government and sticking it in the bank. The right thing to do is give that money back.
So, unless Ron is ponying up significantly, we're not going to be able to make wholesale changes and we're stuck with a lot of mediocre players on long contracts.
There will be some money from Allan and Wright's wages, while Scott & Bushiri probably won't be back, not sure about Jasper or the option of an extra year for McGinn. An English League One side might pay something for Doidge but it won't be much.
At least six new faces are required - players that can go straight into the first team and improve it - not punts on the future, but do we have any faith in a recruitment team led by Ron jnr & Swiss Tony?
Hopefully guys like Melkersen, Hauge, Bradley, MacKay, Delfererriere & O'Connor can push on but we shouldn't be relying on them.

Aldo
17-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Need a new goalie
2 strongcentre backs
Ball winning midfielder
Striker

Too many continuous losers in that team. We need winners

McFly sorry but I disagree. I think we need a min of 2 maybe 3 strikers!

Agree re CH’s and defo need a MF general.

Centre Hawf
17-04-2022, 09:25 AM
Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Mueller, Stevenson, Mitchell, Jasper, Dabrowski, Doyle-Hayes, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen, Henderson, Bushiri, MacKay, Hauge, Nisbet, Magennis, Hanlon, Campbell, Tait, Delfierre.

Go: Wright, Doidge, Gogic, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Macey.

Personally think we need a new goalkeeper as I've never taken to Macey as a ball playing keeper and I'm not overly convinced with his ability to command his area. Nisbet is injured to the winter so no one will take him, but we need to sign a new striker or two anyway.

Young laddies like Melkersen, Tait, MacKay, Hauge, Delfierrie, and even Campbell have a place in the squad but can't be over relied upon like Campbell has been since October/November. They should be there to supplement the squad in order to develop.

I think overall we still have some good players in the squad that when fit will make a difference, but there's a lot of players that at the moment are not contributing to us when they're probably taking a half decent salary. Guys like Allan, Doidge, McGregor, Scott have probably been no where near the value for money this season which will be freed up an allow us to sign better in the summer. Gogic and Murphy's wages will no doubt be mostly paid by their loan clubs at the moment but the same applies to them.

Overall there is huge scope for overhauling the squad, but I think some folk need to be realistic on how many will actually be signed and that means a lot of players you probably don't like will stay here.

Allant1981
17-04-2022, 09:26 AM
A shot on target against Macey is practically a goal. Marciano streets ahead of him. So I’d start with him.

Now you are just making stuff up, he has the 5th highest number of clean sheets out of all the spfl keepers this season, so clearly isnt as bad as some make out

NC1875
17-04-2022, 09:45 AM

Spoke to one of there grandads last week and that was the Jist of what he said. Ryan and Josh will be away.

J-C
17-04-2022, 09:46 AM

It was signed a week or so after Ross left and before Maloney took over, so I'd assume this was done on Ross's recommendation, if Maloney wants shot, Hayes will understand, new deal or not.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Macey is very poor with his feet but I don’t think we can fix everything at once. We need to prioritise. And for me, that means two centre mids and two strikers. If we use all available money to sign quality in those positions then we will be in a lot better shape.

J-C
17-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Replace Macey but not a top priority.

If Porteous goes then a new CH plus another for cover, please don't sign Rocky, bombscare. Delferriere has been on the bench a few times and came with a very rep, still young but may be ready for next season.

Let McGinn go and bring in another young wingback for cover, a new left wingback if Doig goes, maybe Mitchell earmarked for that position.

Move on JDH, Campbell and Wright, unsure about Magennis as we've hardly seen enough of him but we need 3 new midfielders with one a ball playing No.6

Don't think Jasper is good enough and Hauge is still settling in, we need at least 2, maybe 3 attacking forwards for the wide areas.

My reckoning is we'll need around 7-8 signings.

Onion
17-04-2022, 10:10 AM
Macey is very poor with his feet but I don’t think we can fix everything at once. We need to prioritise. And for me, that means two centre mids and two strikers. If we use all available money to sign quality in those positions then we will be in a lot better shape.

No secret to successful teams - a strong spine. Decent Goalie, strong CBs, strong ball winning midfielder and good striker. Maloney needs to put his shopping list in to RG now. No excuses or like for like replacements.

ekhibee
17-04-2022, 10:10 AM
The biggest difficulty rebuilding will be the financial hit due to a decline in season ticket renewals. Poor quality football coupled with rising living costs make for challenging times. There is also a growing apathy/disconnect between team and support that you can feel at games.
Winning today would only have papered the cracks, this team would have lost the final and lets be honest, they should be nowhere near a European competition.
I would like to see a big clear out and some younger ambitious players brought in.
I will continue my HSL payments, but probably won't renew my season ticket and will just select the games l want to attend

This.

Tully
17-04-2022, 10:24 AM
Everyone out of contract can go,we need 2 centre half's especially if porteous goes,hanlon as a back up only,a bully in midfield, a winger and at least 1 striker,would love an experienced older goalkeeper and most of all to some how have a injury list that is not 8 plus players out weekly

Tambo
17-04-2022, 10:25 AM
We have brought in 33 players in the last 4 season, I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it does seem like the past few has been a rebuild.

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 10:29 AM
Dabrowski’s shots saved percentage is nearly 77%, Maceys is just over 70%.

Lago
17-04-2022, 10:32 AM
Replace Macey but not a top priority.

If Porteous goes then a new CH plus another for cover, please don't sign Rocky, bombscare. Delferriere has been on the bench a few times and came with a very rep, still young but may be ready for next season.

Let McGinn go and bring in another young wingback for cover, a new left wingback if Doig goes, maybe Mitchell earmarked for that position.

Move on JDH, Campbell and Wright, unsure about Magennis as we've hardly seen enough of him but we need 3 new midfielders with one a ball playing No.6

Don't think Jasper is good enough and Hauge is still settling in, we need at least 2, maybe 3 attacking forwards for the wide areas.

My reckoning is we'll need around 7-8 signings.

7 or 8 signings!! Dream on.

HIBEETILLIDIE
17-04-2022, 10:36 AM

Keep
Stevenson
Porteous
Cadden
Clarke
Melkerson
Nisbet

Get rid of the rest if we can!

Scotty Leither
17-04-2022, 10:37 AM
We have brought in 33 players in the last 4 season, I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it does seem like the past few has been a rebuild.

The player churn is really high, but when you buy cheap you generally do end up buying twice.

Tambo
17-04-2022, 10:56 AM
Keep
Stevenson
Porteous
Cadden
Clarke
Melkerson
Nisbet

Get rid of the rest if we can!

Clarke won't be at Hibs next season but if we are only keeping 6 players on for next season then geez that's some rebuild and some cheque Ron has to write.

Would definitely keep the likes of Newell, Mcginn as back up players

ekhibee
17-04-2022, 11:01 AM
Clarke won't be at Hibs next season but if we are only keeping 6 players on for next season then geez that's some rebuild and some cheque Ron has to write.

Would definitely keep the likes of Newell, Mcginn as back up players

Not sure, but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that Clarke's loan deal carries on into next season? not sure if that's true though.

overdrive
17-04-2022, 11:04 AM
Not sure, but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that Clarke's loan deal carries on into next season? not sure if that's true though.

It does but Arsenal have several break point clauses where they can recall him, e.g. if they get a better offer for a loan or a club wants to buy him. Rangers were sniffing around.

Key West
17-04-2022, 11:16 AM

This is exactly how I feel about things.

Tambo
17-04-2022, 11:21 AM
It does but Arsenal have several break point clauses where they can recall him, e.g. if they get a better offer for a loan or a club wants to buy him. Rangers were sniffing around.

That's what I feel will happen unfortunately. Clarke could easy say he would prefer to play elsewhere and Arsenal call him back.

J-C
17-04-2022, 01:36 PM

out of contract
Allan
McGinn
Wright
Murphy
Gogic

Possibly away
Porteous
Doidge
Doig

That's 8 players who won't be here.

You then have Rocky and Jasper who are on loan and may not be kept on after the summer.

That's a lot of players possibly moving on and will need replaced.

Hibs90
17-04-2022, 03:37 PM
Now you are just making stuff up, he has the 5th highest number of clean sheets out of all the spfl keepers this season, so clearly isnt as bad as some make out

Clean sheets not because he's saved them, but because the defence were pretty solid.

Someone gets a clean shot on goal at him and it goes in more often than not. That's a fact.

500miles
17-04-2022, 03:38 PM
Doig has been good since Maloney came in, but I don't think he'll get a championship team on the basis of overall team performance. I think we'll get another season from him.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 03:41 PM

Totally standard for a club to have a recall clause. Nothing to suggest it will be used.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 03:42 PM
Clean sheets not because he's saved them, but because the defence were pretty solid.

Someone gets a clean shot on goal at him and it goes in more often than not. That's a fact.

Actually, it isn't.

See facts are things that can be proven absolutely correct. A save percentage of 70% proves this is indeed, pish.

JohnM1875
17-04-2022, 03:44 PM
Totally standard for a club to have a recall clause. Nothing to suggest it will be used.

Didn't Hull have one for Scott?

jacomo
17-04-2022, 03:48 PM
Didn't Hull have one for Scott?

They can activate that asap please.

JohnM1875
17-04-2022, 03:51 PM
They can activate that asap please.

Haha! Thought he was fine yesterday but completely agree.

jacomo
17-04-2022, 03:53 PM
Haha! Thought he was fine yesterday but completely agree.

He offers zero goal threat.

He did at least run around quite a bit for the first quarter of the match. Then he reverted to jogging and pointing, and as infuriating as ever.

Starting him in such a big match is a great illustration of where we’ve gone wrong.

cameronw-hfc
17-04-2022, 04:00 PM
At villa he plays a deeper role . I watch most of villa's games and he almost never wastes a pass .
He would be fantastic at man utd but liverpool are also interested klopp things he is outstanding .
A ready made replacement for Jordan Henderson

I've watched every game for a few years and I highly doubt you've watched them if you're saying he never wastes a pass. It's been his biggest criticism this whole season, his passing has been pretty slack...

He's got a 76.1% accuracy per/90, that's about 6% below the average, for a "top" Premier League midfielder that's pretty bad. Again, I'm not trying to bring Mcginn down, just claiming to watch most games and saying he rarely wastes a pass is just false when he's got a distinctly below-average pass accuracy.

Given this has probably been his worst season for Villa, I'd be incredibly surprised if Klopp is still.interested as that was only rumours in the summer. Same with the UTD rumours, they've been there for year's, literally never come close to anything.

overdrive
17-04-2022, 04:26 PM

Except there is in this case. Arsenal used the same clause in their contract with Ross County as soon as we started sniffing around. If a club comes along that they think they could get a better deal out of either in terms of another loan or a permanent deal, they’ll probably do the same to us.

Since452
17-04-2022, 04:31 PM
Hearts are now shopping in a higher market than us unfortunately. European group stage football and raking it in from fan contributions. This could be the start of a long period behind them. Only ourselves to blame.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Except there is in this case. Arsenal used the same clause in their contract with Ross County as soon as we started sniffing around. If a club comes along that they think they could get a better deal out of either in terms of another loan or a permanent deal, they’ll probably do the same to us.

Did they terminate it, or were they planning to sent him to a different club anyway? Or was he unhappy at county? Could be anything.

Nothing to suggest Rangers still want him, either. With the money from the boy they sold to Everton, they will be able to do much better, lets be honest.

Diclonius
17-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Hearts are now shopping in a higher market than us unfortunately. European group stage football and raking it in from fan contributions. This could be the start of a long period behind them. Only ourselves to blame.

Hibs could finish 3rd in the league, have near-record season ticket sales, have finished in the final of two cups and Hearts could have just been relegated and there would STILL be the "oh well they have more money than us" argument. In fact, I know there would be because this literally happened last season.

I'm fed up of this spending power thing. We have a rich owner, he can spend some of his money for us. And he can start with getting rid of this godforsaken Hearts inferiority complex for good.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 04:37 PM

Thing is, you just need to beat them a few times, they'll sack Neilson and hire some doughnut like Cathro.

Thats the Downside of their entire existance depending on beating us.

Sadly, yes, they will get a big benefit from being in Europe financially. Although, Europe, the league cup and all the league games requires a big squad to compete. The Old firm stuggle nevermind hearts.

IberianHibernian
17-04-2022, 04:38 PM
We have brought in 33 players in the last 4 season, I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it does seem like the past few has been a rebuild.33 sounds like a lot but it`s probably the same at all clubs . In our case , some have been signed for Under 23 team . In modern football , squads are changing constantly which is why it`s so hard to be consistently top 3 or 4 . One good season and players leave especially if your best players are loanees . And fans expect new signings in both windows however team is doing .

LewysGot2
17-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Hibs could finish 3rd in the league, have near-record season ticket sales, have finished in the final of two cups and Hearts could have just been relegated and there would STILL be the "oh well they have more money than us" argument. In fact, I know there would be because this literally happened last season.

I'm fed up of this spending power thing. We have a rich owner, he can spend some of his money for us. And he can start with getting rid of this godforsaken Hearts inferiority complex for good.

Interesting questions here about who pays for the club. Ron clearly mentioned us ponying up. There's definitely some folk who hanker for the rich man's anything model but most clubs are run with the income coming from customers- fans, media, sponsors.
How do we compete with AberDNA or FoH funds going into their clubs?

madhatter
17-04-2022, 04:42 PM

Fans would turn up in their numbers if we got a team that were filled with idols as well. Attendance after cup win and under Lennon in top league must have been highest in a long time. Nevermind the merchandise sales from cup win.

Ron Gordon will need to take first step now. Investing in infrastructure and B squad while our first team implodes has placed the onus on him. He'll need to make the first action to get fans on board. Everything he is trying to do makes sense but fans don't want to wait 10 years to see some positives.

GreenCastle
17-04-2022, 05:00 PM
Not so long ago Hearts we’re getting beat by Brora and we were in cup finals. A year in football a lot can happen.

Hearts hire Savage to recruit and they have all done pretty well. Hibs scattergun approach / lack of fixing glaring problems and the idea to invest in youth has cost us.

We need players that have the right character and personality to ply for Hibs. Players who won’t get walked all over in derbies and understand what playing for the club means.

Every season there is about 8+ changes to a squad in Scotland so I expect nothing different this summer.

Should have happened last summer but didn’t and cost Ross and Mathie jobs. Our winter transfer window wasn’t great so they have to get this right or it’s more money wasted.

I expect us to lose some players being sold also - so you could say we need to find an new identity if older players aren’t involved as much and players like Porto and Doig move on.

They should be actively sorting this out and have a plan already. The issue is still whether they keep Maloney or bring in a new manager and if the recruitment team are good enough to understand what we are missing.