PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Maloney - stay or go

Pages : [1] 2

Diclonius
16-04-2022, 02:42 PM
Not as enraged as I was yesterday but on balance I'd still rather we went with someone else.

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-04-2022, 02:44 PM
Stay

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
16-04-2022, 02:45 PM
Time's up for me.

Northernhibee
Go. Sub Fenlon.

Bridge hibs
Stay

Callum_62
16-04-2022, 02:46 PM
I'd say stay and see how we go until the end of the season

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 02:49 PM
Stay as Hibs are a long term project, as we fall further and further behind the manky, neighbours financially, we need to bring in quality to compete. We cannot afford to be paying out for new managers every 6 months.

Ray Donovan
16-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Go.

Even if he does stay he'll be remembered for the hearts results forever. Dead man walking.

heretoday
16-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Stay as Hibs are a long term project, as we fall further and further behind the manky, neighbours financially, we need to bring in quality to compete. We cannot afford to be paying out for new managers every 6 months.

Correct. History shows it's swings and roundabouts anyway. Chances are the roles will be reversed in a year's time. Let's see what the guy can do with a couple of new faces and some players moved on.

olivebuzzer
16-04-2022, 02:54 PM
Stay

Paul1642
16-04-2022, 02:54 PM
I can’t vote on iPhone but 100% go!

Stokesy's on fire
16-04-2022, 02:55 PM
Go utter disaster

LunasBoots
16-04-2022, 02:55 PM
Go

overdrive
16-04-2022, 02:57 PM
Go.

jeffers
16-04-2022, 02:57 PM
Voted go. We competed well today against a Hearts team that are no more than decent, but it’s been mainly woeful under Maloney and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s the answer moving forward.

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 02:58 PM
Stay. Today was the turning point.

The Captain....
16-04-2022, 02:58 PM
No doubt in mind he needs to go ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

BS44
16-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Stay, but we need the same standard of performance till the end of season.

If we go back to the rubbish we've watched recently then he can go

loanheadhibby
16-04-2022, 03:00 PM
Go. Utter disaster. Bottom 6 sealed it.

Northernhibee
16-04-2022, 03:00 PM

We lost.

Wull
16-04-2022, 03:01 PM
Stay till at least December, the club needs to have an alternative plan before we jump in to something we have no control over, like we have done numerous times in the past few years

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Go - ideally Belgium FA give him assistant role back before the World Cup.

Need a manager who doesn’t split the support - the empty seats today was a sign fans aren’t happy. The empty seats at last few games and lower ST sales will show what fans think.

Hibs need a reboot - including some proper summer recruitment.

Bottom 6
No wins against top 3.
No wins in 3 against Hearts.
Some awful performances and team selections.
Couldn’t beat the bottom 3 - only 2 points from 9 against in these games.

Tambo
16-04-2022, 03:07 PM
Stay if he is willing to change the style a little and try and get both the ball and more bodies forward.

Sudds_1
16-04-2022, 03:08 PM

We've been a long term project since i started supporting us in 1963!!!! 😆😆

Jim44
16-04-2022, 03:09 PM
The thought of yet another managerial change appalls me but the thought of retaining Maloney is just as bad. I couldn’t care one way or another, but I went for ‘go’.

Coach Jon
16-04-2022, 03:11 PM
Looks like he doesnt have a clue how to change a game. If you have to rely on Gary Caldwell to give you advice during a game then you are in serious trouble. Go now please and lets get a manager in who knows what to do.

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 03:12 PM
We've been a long term project since i started supporting us in 1963!!!! 😆😆

Ha,ha I started a couple o years before you, and thats what makes us Hibs supporters, we dont just give up and throw oor toys oot the pram when things are no going well.

Keepthefaith
16-04-2022, 03:13 PM
Stay. No guarantee that next guy can do better. He has to be given a chance to implement what he's started

Tambo
16-04-2022, 03:13 PM
Looks like he doesnt have a clue how to change a game. If you have to rely on Gary Caldwell to give you advice during a game then you are in serious trouble. Go now please and lets get a manager in who knows what to do.

Watching on the telly with one camera shot of SDG talking in his ear to which Maloney didn't seem he liked his idea.

Stokesy's on fire
16-04-2022, 03:14 PM

Losing 2 1 is a turning point?

Renfrew_Hibby
16-04-2022, 03:15 PM
This will buy him time... remember when duff Jimmy got a battling performance against them? That turned out well.

ErinGoBraghHFC
Stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
Its not been great but cant decide if its down to injuries/suspensions or maloney himself. We werent great when he came in but we havent improved since, cant see him being sacked

jeffers
16-04-2022, 03:19 PM
Its not been great but cant decide if its down to injuries/suspensions or maloney himself. We werent great when he came in but we havent improved since, cant see him being sacked

I think it boils down to whether you think he could have done better with the resources he had available to him or not, even taking into consideration injuries and suspensions.

Arnie
16-04-2022, 03:21 PM
Maloney just isn’t a manager. He’s soft

Allant1981
16-04-2022, 03:22 PM
I think it boils down to whether you think he could have done better with the resources he had available to him or not, even taking into consideration injuries and suspensions.

Im not sure he could, but again thats basing it on what we habe seen so far, so possibly unfair

allmodcons
16-04-2022, 03:23 PM
After a terrible opening 20 minutes I thought we played well today.

We were much more combative and competitive than I've seen us in recent games but, that said, I think Maloney should go.

I don't think Jack Ross should have been sacked in the first place, but Maloney is not the answer.

A 'rabbit caught in the headlights' is how I'd describe his managerial debut. Far too inexperienced to manage a Club of our stature. Should never have been allowed to take the reigns at Hibs as his first managerial role.

Just Alf
16-04-2022, 03:24 PM
Stay as Hibs are a long term project, as we fall further and further behind the manky, neighbours financially, we need to bring in quality to compete. We cannot afford to be paying out for new managers every 6 months.This... I'm really conflicted about it all. But on balance, our available funds sort of point towards keeping the manager and spending on players who will hopefully live up to the desired tactical plans etc

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 03:25 PM
Another telling sign is when the opposition want you to keep a manager.

Sometimes players don't work at certain clubs and I just don't think Maloney suits Hibs at this time with these players.

Just Alf
16-04-2022, 03:26 PM
We've been a long term project since i started supporting us in 1963!!!! [emoji38][emoji38]Ha ha good point well made!

Pedantic_Hibee
Duncan Ferguson.

Waxy
Stay. We cant just keep sacking managers.

overdrive
16-04-2022, 03:27 PM

We can and should if they are incompetent. That is Maloney!

ekhibee
16-04-2022, 03:28 PM
I voted Stay on the basis of the game today, but he has to keep up that level of performance from the team and in the summer buy 2 goal scorers. I think we need to sign more players that have proven adaptability. To beat teams like Hearts we have to have a different approach than when we play St Mirren for example. It's all very well talking about the style of play that he's trying to instill in players, but at the moment we really don't seem to have a Plan B. That's not just a problem he's had, plenty of previous Hibs managers have had the same problem. And we should always have that approach, instead of constantly moaning about getting beat when we've been the better team.

A Hi-Bee
Duncan Ferguson.

Play him up front, although he has no been doing great at the Blue side of Liverpool for some time now.

Northernhibee

Said it on another thread but when we let Boyce waltz through just before HT and he should have scored, Maloney did a little fist pump (or what looked like one) when he missed and didn’t get on top of the defence.

Sums him up.

kentao
Needs to win a minimum of 3 games from the bottom six fixtures for him to stay on in my opinion.

He's had more than enough time to implement change and improve performances and results but has so far failed.

easty
Go.

Hibs90
16-04-2022, 03:29 PM
Big game record worse than Ross

thebausburst
Has to go surely, results are appaling, his signings are nothing special, interviews are embarrassing, we really going to let him spend another bunch of cash this summer 🤦*♂️

GreenCastle

We can't just keep losing games / dropping points, losing derbies and finishing bottom 6.

How bad does it need to get? The magical October when next season is a write off also (another transition season?)

Or do we give a new manager a summer to work on a style of play and get some new players in - giving us some fresh optimisium going into the new season.

A Hi-Bee
Said it on another thread but when we let Boyce waltz through just before HT and he should have scored, Maloney did a little fist pump (or what looked like one) when he missed and didn’t get on top of the defence.

Sums him up.

:faf: what would you want him to do, ffs.

California-Hibs
16-04-2022, 03:31 PM
Should be asked after the next 5 games. Stupid to make a decision now. I lean on stay because of seeing certain signs ie today 2nd half and the hope of a good summer window. However as the weeks have went on I've been drifting closer to that Go. We'll see what the next 5 games bring. Today's performance can't go under the rug, it can be built on.

H18S NX
16-04-2022, 03:31 PM
Go.

CL0762
16-04-2022, 03:32 PM
We can't just keep losing games / dropping points, losing derbies and finishing bottom 6.

How bad does it need to get? The magical October when next season is a write off also (another transition season?)

Or do we give a new manager a summer to work on a style of play and get some new players in - giving us some fresh optimisium going into the new season.

And then the new manager doesn’t get off to a great start and we have countless threads saying *insert manager name* out and we want someone in before the January window.

See how it goes? Just continuous circles as soon as we’re not performing like the Harlem globetrotters.

hibee-boys
16-04-2022, 03:33 PM
He should get the first round of games of the next season, he can have no excuses if there’s no improvement after a pre-season and opportunity to find the players he needs to play his preferred system.

Northernhibee
16-04-2022, 03:35 PM
And then the new manager doesn’t get off to a great start and we have countless threads saying *insert manager name* out and we want someone in before the January window.

See how it goes? Just continuous circles as soon as we’re not performing like the Harlem globetrotters.

We hire a better manager. We are more thorough in our recruitment.

What else, let Maloney relegate us, sign even more dross, see ST sales drop below 5k because we’re too proud to admit we got it wrong?

Northernhibee
16-04-2022, 03:37 PM
:faf: what would you want him to do, ffs.

Hold the defence to account. Look out for what is under our control rather than celebrate what isn’t.

Be a ****ing manager in order words.

GreenCastle
Should be asked after the next 5 games. Stupid to make a decision now. I lean on stay because of seeing certain signs ie today 2nd half and the hope of a good summer window. However as the weeks have went on I've been drifting closer to that Go. We'll see what the next 5 games bring. Today's performance can't go under the rug, it can be built on.

He lost last games to St Mirren, Livingston, Aberdeen when he played them last time.

He drew with Dundee and St Johnstone.

So he hasn't beaten a bottom 6 team yet.

Diclonius
Big game record worse than Ross

Maloney record v Celtic, Rangers and Hearts:

Played: 6
Won: 0
Drawn: 2
Lost: 4

Goals for: 2
Goals against: 9

Yup.

Groathillgrump
16-04-2022, 03:38 PM
He's got to go.

The guy's a dud. Hopelessly out of his depth.

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 03:38 PM

I would have more faith in a new manager improving us then this coaching / managerial experiment.

The Hibs support are split - that is not a good place to be.

Ross split the fans - Maloney is making it worse.

Hibs need a reboot or ST sales will be awful.

McGruber
16-04-2022, 03:40 PM
He has to go, it's been a disaster. Go now aswell, give the new man some game time. Today showed up his failings all the more

Pretty Boy
16-04-2022, 03:42 PM
As it stands go.

However the last 5 games is a chance at redemption for him. For all the bottom 6 is a disappointment if he shows he can change it up, instill a bit desire and get a few wins then he probably earns a shot at next season.

I accept it's easier to play like we did today against a team like Hearts than one like Dundee but if today's performance level was a one off and we resort to performances like last week, the 1st half V Dundee Utd or the games at home against St Mirren and St Johnstone then he will have to go.

MikeyS
16-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Get him to f***, doesn't matter about the 2nd half display. We shouldn't be 2 nil down before we turn it on in vain

CL0762
16-04-2022, 03:44 PM
We hire a better manager. We are more thorough in our recruitment.

What else, let Maloney relegate us, sign even more dross, see ST sales drop below 5k because we’re too proud to admit we got it wrong?

‘We hire a better manager’.

So the same people that brought in Maloney?

Take a look across the city at what sticking with a manager can do. Pretty sure Hearts fans wanted Neilson out last year and now look at them, guaranteed European football until Christmas with a cup final to look forward to.

They’ve done that by A. Sticking to their beliefs & B. Giving the manager the tools to go about his recruitment in the right way.

But no, let’s rip it up and search for someone else, taking more money out of the budget.

Pretty sure ST sales didn’t drop down to 5k last time we went down and there’s absolutely zero chance we go down this year, that’s just nonsense.

wookie70
16-04-2022, 03:45 PM
I didn't think he would work out, I don't think he is working out and I don't think it will end up working out. That being said I'd still give him until the summer as there isn't too much of a risk doing so. Hopefully, it starts to click and we don't need to throw more money down the pan on managers

Pretty Boy
16-04-2022, 03:48 PM
‘We hire a better manager’.

So the same people that brought in Maloney?

Take a look across the city at what sticking with a manager can do. Pretty sure Hearts fans wanted Neilson out last year and now look at them, guaranteed European football until Christmas with a cup final to look forward to.

They’ve done that by A. Sticking to their beliefs & B. Giving the manager the tools to go about his recruitment in the right way.

But no, let’s rip it up and search for someone else, taking more money out of the budget.

Pretty sure ST sales didn’t drop down to 5k last time we went down and there’s absolutely zero chance we go down this year, that’s just nonsense.

The big issue is that Hearts did get the recruitment correct.

They appointed a guy with a wealth of experience to such a role. We have a department headed up by the owners son that has failed to deliver repeatedly now.

I'm not really sure Neilson has developed all that much as a manager, had they lost today he would have been under huge pressure again. He just has a significantly bigger budget and better players to work with now. I'd be genuinely quite worried if Hearts replaced him, a better manager could see them really pull well clear of the rest.

Golden Bear
16-04-2022, 03:50 PM
Stay,can't vote on my phone though.

The Harp Awakes
16-04-2022, 03:51 PM
Unsure if Maloney is the answer, but he has to be given the close season to bring fresh blood in. He's inherited an imbalanced squad and this season's failure isn't all down to him.

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2022, 03:52 PM
It's unlikely he'll be punted after today's performance but we don't know how much of that was the result of Stevenson and Porteous getting stuck in.
The bottom line is, no matter how well we played in the second half, we lost again and it's unlikely we will see such an aggressive performance against St Mirren and co so unfortunately I don't find much to be enthusiastic about.
He'll survive in the short term but I still think the writing is on the wall

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 03:54 PM

They appointed a guy with a wealth of experience to such a role. We have a department headed up by the owners son that has failed to deliver repeatedly now.

I'm not really sure Neilson has developed all that much as a manager, had they lost today he would have been under huge pressure again. He just has a significantly bigger budget and better players to work with now. I'd be genuinely quite worried if Hearts replaced him, a better manager could see them really pull well clear of the rest.

Fully agree.

I am still concerned if Maloney is here in summer or not about recruitment.

We finish 3 and recruit really badly = finish bottom 6 - not winning a Derby.

Hearts get promoted and recruit much better and they finish 3rd - undefeated against us this season in 4 games.

The importance of recruitment cannot be lost - but right now still feels both the managers ideas of type of player he wants and lack of players with the quality, mental toughness, character and experience to play for Hibs is missing.

LunasBoots
16-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Missed out on top 6 and lost a load of money, missed out on a final and missed out on more money, STs about to drop to low figures for a stupid project, Maloney and Kensell out

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2022, 04:01 PM
Unsure if Maloney is the answer, but he has to be given the close season to bring fresh blood in. He's inherited an imbalanced squad and this season's failure isn't all down to him.

Why?

I'd absolutely love to have an answer to why he should be given next season other than ''we cant keep sacking managers'' or ''he needs time''?

The idea he needs some perfectly balanced squad to beat Dundee, United, St Johnstone, Livi or St Mirren is just rubbish. He has been absolutely dreadful so far. Dreadful. Over a season he is literally taking us down with his performance so far.

If he stays, next season is a write off AGAIN. He has shown nothing to suggest he can put a good side on the pitch.

JimBHibees
16-04-2022, 04:05 PM
Stay and be given the window and preseason imo then review in October. Think there are enough mitigating factors to give him the benefit of the doubt including Boyle sale and horrendous injury list. What is for sure is it needs to be so much better and the level of intensity and desire shown today needs to be the benchmark going forward. Feel a bit sorry for him in some respects as has been dealt a pretty poor hand imo.

keep the faith
16-04-2022, 04:07 PM
Losing 2 1 is a turning point?

Yeah. Today the players and the manager understood what it's about. How its about having a go, attacking and giving your all. The connection between the fans and the team kicked in today and now its about taking that into the last 5 games and winning them all. Then seeing who's worth keeping next season.
I thoroughly enjoyed today and was proud of the team. We won most challenges and got back to attacking football. Its a small step for these players and major surgery is still required in the summer but it's a chink of light in a grim couple of years for the club.. We can't be sacking SM at this point. That's just ridiculous. Let's see if he can build on this with our support.

Dalianwanda
16-04-2022, 04:07 PM
stay..get recruitment done and a pre season in to see what he can do with no excuses. getting another manager guarantees nothing

JimBHibees
16-04-2022, 04:08 PM
stay..get recruitment done and a pre season in to see what he can do with no excuses. getting another manager guarantees nothing

Exactly where I am

SteveHFC
16-04-2022, 04:09 PM
Why?

I'd absolutely love to have an answer to why he should be given next season other than ''we can keep sacking managers'' or ''he needs time''?

The idea he needs some perfectly balanced squad to beat Dundee, United, St Johnstone, Livi or St Mirren is just rubbish. He has been absolutely dreadful so far. Dreadful. Over a season he is literally taking us down with his performance so far.

If he stays, next season is a write off AGAIN. He has shown nothing to suggest he can put a good side on the pitch.

Agreed but he needs some more time apparently.

Waxy
16-04-2022, 04:09 PM
I actually would t be that surprised if Maloney got sacked given the ruthless way Jack Ross got chopped while having credit in the bank.

OstKurve Hibs
16-04-2022, 04:15 PM
Stay, he needs another window or 2 to get the right players in, theres a big problem with concentration of players in that squad, they switch of during games and ots costing us.
You cant blame the manager for the goals shipped today

Carheenlea
16-04-2022, 04:15 PM
If there was a third option of not fussed either way then I`d vote for that. Just want to see us win some games and some derbies, be that with Jack Ross, Shaun Maloney or whoever in the dugout.

CL0762
16-04-2022, 04:17 PM

Yeah, that’s a bigger issue for me IMO than Maloney.

Sacking Maloney and bringing in a new manager working under the bosses son wouldn’t change a thing for me.

We need an experienced DOF/Sporting director/whatever you want to call it heading up the most important area of the club.

Key West
16-04-2022, 04:22 PM
Why?

I'd absolutely love to have an answer to why he should be given next season other than ''we cant keep sacking managers'' or ''he needs time''?

The usual crap from you, Maloney deserves time when he has a full squad to pick from then make a judgement. The teams in this league are not that good including Hearts,the quality is poor and that is more or less down to finances. Regardless of who is in charge mitigating circumstances will dictate, covid,injuries and suspensions.

Northernhibee
16-04-2022, 04:25 PM
The usual crap from you, Maloney deserves time when he has a full squad to pick from then make a judgement. The teams in this league are not that good including Hearts,the quality is poor and that is more or less down to finances. Regardless of who is in charge mitigating circumstances will dictate, covid,injuries and suspensions.

Today Hearts were without Baningme, Souttar and lost Halliday and Halket to injury. Sorry, but that’s all excuses.

The Harp Awakes
16-04-2022, 04:28 PM
Why?

Mainly because I don't think <4 months is long enough to know if any Manager is capable of turning a club around. We've been crap all season and there's incumbents at the club who are more culpable for our failure. Lets also not kid ourselves that our injury list hasn't been horrendous.

The main reason we're in the state we're in, is a complete recruitment failure last close season. We also came up short during the January recruitment window, but signing quality players mid-season is not as easy.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2022, 04:28 PM
The fans are voting with their feet it appears. Not sure how long the club can put up with that.
Do we really want to give up on next season by letting him start it? Would another window make a difference for him? Even he doesn’t seem that keen on the players he signed in January.

SlickShoes
16-04-2022, 04:30 PM
How come the players trying really hard today is down to them as individuals but in previous games it’s the manager that’s made them play badly?

Key West
16-04-2022, 04:31 PM
Today Hearts were without Baningme, Souttar and lost Halliday and Halket to injury. Sorry, but that’s all excuses.

They're hardly world beaters in my opinion.

Stuarty1875
16-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Stay

Big summer for us in terms of recruitment. I still think he should be given the chance to make us better.

Pretty Boy
16-04-2022, 04:36 PM
The fans are voting with their feet it appears. Not sure how long the club can put up with that.
Do we really want to give up on next season by letting him start it? Would another window make a difference for him? Even he doesn’t seem that keen on the players he signed in January.

I think that will be the basis of conversations taking place at ER in the coming weeks.

Maloney has had a tough time since coming in but has shown little to suggest he is the man even allowing for that. Crowds have been dwindling for a while and ST sales on a steady decline since the afterglow of the cup win started to fade. They will be at their lowest level for the best part of a decade for next season unless we do something spectacular early in the window. If you give Maloney a healthy budget (and the recruitment issues will still exist) and we start next season poorly you are handing a new manager someone else's problem and a fanbase baying for blood. The 'he just needs 2 or 3 windows' chat starts again. Or you can cut your losses, hand a new guy the summer window and the budget (but the recruitment issues are still there) and we either improve massively or he has a nightmare and the 'we should have stuck with Maloney' chat starts.

Sack or keep are both massive gambles with the volatile nature of the Scottish Premiership and the budget constraints almost every team works under. I wish I had faith that the current custodians of the club will get it right.

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 04:38 PM
Stay and be given the window and preseason imo then review in October. Think there are enough mitigating factors to give him the benefit of the doubt including Boyle sale and horrendous injury list. What is for sure is it needs to be so much better and the level of intensity and desire shown today needs to be the benchmark going forward. Feel a bit sorry for him in some respects as has been dealt a pretty poor hand imo.

It’s looking like we could be worse off in October if we wait as long to take action.

Do we keep waiting and being in transition or is it a lot to ask for a manager to actually show signs of improvement by winning games.

Effort is the minimum expected - we really need to raise our standards for the amazing support the fans give this club.

number9dream
16-04-2022, 04:44 PM
As it stands go.

However the last 5 games is a chance at redemption for him. For all the bottom 6 is a disappointment if he shows he can change it up, instill a bit desire and get a few wins then he probably earns a shot at next season.

I accept it's easier to play like we did today against a team like Hearts than one like Dundee but if today's performance level was a one off and we resort to performances like last week, the 1st half V Dundee Utd or the games at home against St Mirren and St Johnstone then he will have to go.

This is where I am. It was a decent performance because some of the more experienced players were back and they played with real dig and determination, although some went too far with the aggression. If we simply resort to tippy-tappy nonsense for the final five games, then we're no further forward.

Hibs90
16-04-2022, 04:56 PM
Maloney record v Celtic, Rangers and Hearts:

Played: 6
Won: 0
Drawn: 2
Lost: 4

Goals for: 2
Goals against: 9

Yup.

I was half joking but that's pretty crap tbh.

where'stheslope
16-04-2022, 04:57 PM
Voted stay: Today it showed me that it was the players who let us down last week not the manager!!
Today was not pretty, in fact some of it was brutal, but at least we got into their faces, unlike last week!!!

hibee1875
16-04-2022, 05:12 PM
Stay. Although he and the players have to know that the next 5 games they’re playing for their future at the club. No excuses to not win all 5

Greencore
16-04-2022, 05:16 PM
I voted stay, if we don't make 7th he should leave. Anything under 7th is unacceptable even with the sheep next to us.

PeeJay
16-04-2022, 05:16 PM
Two defeats on the trot from Hearts, failure to make top six: he should be out the door this evening ... he won't be of course, but this is absolutely unacceptable.

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 05:17 PM
Stay. Although he and the players have to know that the next 5 games they’re playing for their future at the club. No excuses to not win all 5

Zero chance we win 5 in a row.

We haven’t won more than 2 all season let alone against teams Maloney hadn’t beaten yet.

Do we just wait till we lose the next Derby to change manager or keep going with the same outcomes which aren’t getting wins.

Maloneys targets when he arrived..

Top 6
Semi final

1 out of 2 but you could argue top 6 was easier considering the teams and fixtures we had.

Heisenberg
16-04-2022, 05:20 PM
I voted stay, if we don't make 7th he should leave. Anything under 7th is unacceptable even with the sheep next to us.

To be fair anything below 5th is unacceptable. He’s been dreadful so far and I’ve little faith he’ll guide us to more than one win post split.

Is It On....
16-04-2022, 05:31 PM

Hey, you are not allowed to mention the way we have set up our recruitment or who is in charge!! Separately, Kensell said that if we hadn't lost Martin Boyle that the recent transfer window recruitment would have been one of the best ever.

On the subject of Martin, given he is still top scorer and has the most assists, is it possible for him to be voted our Player of the Year?

Greencore
16-04-2022, 05:32 PM
To be fair anything below 5th is unacceptable. He’s been dreadful so far and I’ve little faith he’ll guide us to more than one win post split.

Hope you're wrong mate.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-04-2022, 05:33 PM
Go. Along with pretty much all the playing staff. We need a huge upheaval.

judas
16-04-2022, 05:39 PM
If this is a long term project, can we be sure that Maloney will stay when the results start to come in?

I doubt it.

So as I see it:

Year 1 - Maloney stabilises Hibs. We are back in the top 6 and we’ve had a good cup run.
Year 2. - Hibs acquire 3rd spot. 2 good cup runs and 2 derby wins.
Year 3 - Hibs seem to be even better than last year. We are top at Xmas and still in the cups. This is the best squad and team we have had for years. We know we won’t hold top spot but we are going places with this pioneering young manager.
Tail End of Year 3 - Maloney has been noticed. He’s offered a job in the English Championship. He leaves.

Is that the kind of long term project we are looking at? Or do we just need a really good manager who can get results quite quickly.

A Hi-Bee
16-04-2022, 05:43 PM
If this is a long term project, can we be sure that Maloney will stay when the results start to come in?

I doubt it.

So as I see it:

Year 1 - Maloney stabilises Hibs. We are back in the top 6 and we’ve had a good cup run.
Year 3 - Hibs seem to be even better than last year. We are top at Xmas and still in the cups. This is the best squad and team we have had for years. We know we won’t hold top spot but we are going places with this pioneering young manager.
Tail End of Year 3 - Maloney has been noticed. He’s offered a job in the English Championship. He leaves.

Is that the kind of long term project we are looking at? Or do we just need a really good manager who can get results quite quickly.

Good questions, I would take your scenario regarding Maloney, as Hibs will always be a stepping stone/selling club, that is just where we are in the football pecking order.
Even if we could find a good manager who could get us results quickly he would soon be off as well.

brianmc
16-04-2022, 05:48 PM
Yeah. Today the players and the manager understood what it's about. How its about having a go, attacking and giving your all. The connection between the fans and the team kicked in today and now its about taking that into the last 5 games and winning them all. Then seeing who's worth keeping next season.
I thoroughly enjoyed today and was proud of the team. We won most challenges and got back to attacking football. Its a small step for these players and major surgery is still required in the summer but it's a chink of light in a grim couple of years for the club.. We can't be sacking SM at this point. That's just ridiculous. Let's see if he can build on this with our support.

100%^^ this.

Though such common sense posts are unlikely to catch on.

brianmc
16-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Hey, you are not allowed to mention the way we have set up our recruitment or who is in charge!! Separately, Kensell said that if we hadn't lost Martin Boyle that the recent transfer window recruitment would have been one of the best ever.

On the subject of Martin, given he is still top scorer and has the most assists, is it possible for him to be voted our Player of the Year?

Boyle wasn't on the list of players to vote for (though he should've been).

eastmainsmsh
16-04-2022, 05:59 PM
It hasn’t worked out unfortunately thought we were on a good thing I reckon Kensell and the Gordon’s are the problem

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2022, 06:03 PM

I doubt it.

So as I see it:

We have little or no chance of finishing third in two season time. What you omit in your scenario is that Hearts are guaranteed to strengthen next season as our crowds dwindle while we are “ stabilising”

AL-Qaholik
16-04-2022, 06:05 PM

Terry Butcher

Tyler Durden
16-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Stay, he needs another window or 2 to get the right players in, theres a big problem with concentration of players in that squad, they switch of during games and ots costing us.
You cant blame the manager for the goals shipped today

The first came from losing the ball in our own half due to unnecessary passing. It’s something we’ve seen several times since Maloney came in. Totally his fault.

H18 SFR
16-04-2022, 06:15 PM
I was 50/50 before today.

After today I’ve voted stay. We are clearly a long term project. I fear that we will just keep sacking managers and never actually build anything.

Box 17
Maloney was dealt a bad hand when he started with the loss of Boyle. Injuries haven't helped either.

Needs to be given time to bring in his own players and just as importantly, let go the underperformers.

Think SM could be a class act and this time next year we'll be in a lot better shape.

DickieDastardly
Go.

Has been a disastrous appointment, slow ponderous build up, passive in the last third and forcing a style of football that cannot be played with our level of player. Cost us the first goal again today.

H18 SFR
16-04-2022, 06:16 PM
Maloney was dealt a bad hand when he started with the loss of Boyle. Injuries haven't helped either.

Needs to be given time to bring in his own players and just as importantly, let go the underperformers.

Think SM could be a class act and this time next year we'll be in a lot better shape.

I think this is what I was essentially trying to suggest.

Hibrandenburg
16-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Stay. No guarantee that next guy can do better. He has to be given a chance to implement what he's started

I'm struggling to think how it can get worse. If we continue this trend we'll be relegated.

Gaffer1875
16-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Stay.

Smartie
16-04-2022, 07:01 PM
Go.

JamesHFC
16-04-2022, 07:01 PM

This is exactly my view on it also.

Stubbsy90+2
16-04-2022, 07:02 PM
We have little or no chance of finishing third in two season time. What you omit in your scenario is that Hearts are guaranteed to strengthen next season as our crowds dwindle while we are “ stabilising”

Were we not guaranteed to strengthen this season after a third place finish as well?

Why is it absolutely guaranteed to go well for Hearts?

jacomo
16-04-2022, 07:46 PM
I actually would t be that surprised if Maloney got sacked given the ruthless way Jack Ross got chopped while having credit in the bank.

It’s impossible to argue with that. Feels like anything could happen.

May21/05/16
16-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Stay

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES

I doubt it.

So as I see it:

Option 1 - As bad next year as he is this season. Binned. Another season wasted.
Option 2 - Finally gets a fully fit squad who all buy into his great ideas, all fit his style, we win some games. Then someone leaves, or gets injured and as he needs a fully fit squad of his own players to beat even Dundee, we're again ****ed.

Desperately need just a good football manager who can get the most out of his players.

H18 SFR
It’s impossible to argue with that. Feels like anything could happen.

Not that Hibs.net polls will mean anything but JR had strong backing on the last poll before his removal. SM retains the support of a slight majority on here, I think the board will still with the long term project and he will remain in post.

Hiber-nation
16-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Really pleased to see the results of this poll. The silent majority :aok:

Smartie
16-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Really pleased to see the results of this poll. The silent majority :aok:

I'll take the contrary "Kremlin propaganda" route and say that I think it's staggering that a Hibs manager has managed to get so many people wanting him gone even before he's even taken charge of 20 games.

And he's enjoying a smaller silent majority than Jack Ross was shortly before he got the bullet.

Hiber-nation
16-04-2022, 08:03 PM
I'll take the contrary "Kremlin propaganda" route and say that I think it's staggering that a Hibs manager has managed to get so many people wanting him gone even before he's even taken charge of 20 games.

And he's enjoying a smaller silent majority than Jack Ross was shortly before he got the bullet.

He had a problem to fix and he should be given time to do it.

john rossi
16-04-2022, 08:07 PM
Go Maloney is way out of his depth results stats one win in 14 games the guy is a loser end of.

Hermit Crab
16-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Go, just another big game bottler. Just another that can't beat hearts. :bye:

One Day Soon
16-04-2022, 08:33 PM
Stay - but subject to what I’m going to post on a thread I’ll start later once I get back from deepest darkest Fife…

Tyler Durden
16-04-2022, 08:41 PM
Go, just another big game bottler. Just another that can't beat hearts. :bye:

Previous 6 managers all beat Hearts. Sure you’ll be sorry to hear.

GreenCastle
16-04-2022, 08:56 PM
For those who want him to stay - what’s success next season?

League position?

Cups ?

Players / formation (captain etc) / playing style ?

Just trying to picture this improvement.

Stubbsy90+2
16-04-2022, 08:59 PM
Pleasantly surprised that in the aftermath of a derby defeat at Hampden there’s still a decent majority want him to stay 👍🏼

Eyrie
16-04-2022, 09:42 PM
The argument for him staying - he's only just here, the players aren't good enough, people are just pining for Ross.

The argument for him going - he's been here long enough that a reasonable assessment can be made, his January signings have been poor, we can't afford to waste money in the summer on signings to suit a manager whose position and judgement are in question, he plays players out of position, he is tactically inflexible, our performances are worse than under Ross and he couldn't get us into the top six when the teams around us seemed to be competing to drop into the bottom six.

I've been careful not to be anti-Maloney and to give him a fair chance, but after last week I had to face facts and accept that I'd waited long enough. One decent performance today isn't enough and I have no confidence that will be replicated in what's left of our season.

So it's a clear "go" from me.

Greenbeard
16-04-2022, 09:45 PM
Today's improved performance just papers over the cracks in Maloney's managerial ability. Muckle big cracks. One swallow and all that. And it was a beaten swallow at that. Nah.

#2 Double Tap
16-04-2022, 09:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LZfTP7JDA

Daily Hibs
16-04-2022, 10:04 PM
Maloney out! Season over, well not if we want to avoid play off. Not good enough and far too weak mentally.

Too many celebrating failure which is holding the club back.

JamesHFC
16-04-2022, 10:06 PM
Pleasantly surprised that in the aftermath of a derby defeat at Hampden there’s still a decent majority want him to stay 👍🏼

I think there was a lot more frustration last time because Hearts were a championship side and hardly kicked a ball for 6 months. This time they are ahead of us and were favourites going into the game.

flash
16-04-2022, 10:13 PM
Maloney out! Season over, well not if we want to avoid play off. Not good enough and far too weak mentally.

Too many celebrating failure which is holding the club back.

Take the celebrating failure pish and ram it where the sun don't shine.

madhatter
16-04-2022, 10:15 PM
Maloney in for now.

Genuinely not sure what we get by changing the manager at this time.

We need to sign a better calibre of player in the summer and need more depth.

Club were arrogant, Jack Ross was loyal and arrogant. No cover for many positions throughout the team, left unresolved for ages and now we're reliant on young players on loan to make an impact.

If players hadn't fought today it would've been Maloney out. On today's showing they are still fighting for him and the club. Massive summer ahead.

Daily Hibs
16-04-2022, 10:22 PM
Take the celebrating failure pish and ram it where the sun don't shine.
Experiment hasn't worked.

We have lost back to back derbies in consecutive weeks which has...

Allowed Hearts to send us to bottom six
Allowed Hearts to clinch 3rd
Allowed Hearts to clinch European group stage football worth £5m
Allowed Hearts to reach another Scottish Cup final at our expense

And we are supposed to be happy about it after today? Maloney has to go.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-04-2022, 10:22 PM
Clearly Maloney is not the only problem and there are far bigger problems way above him. In his defence we have had a horrendous run of injuries and he had the rug pulled from beneth his feet by the club selling our only really decent player and didn't give him funds to find a replacement. Having said that, we should still have had enough to finish top 6. Finish 10th or higher and maybe give him a summer but he has to be given money to spend if the likes of Porteous or Doig are sold.

McGruber
17-04-2022, 12:29 AM
Some saying stay because of today's performance.

It was poor management from Maloney today. Players were up for it but where were the goals meant to have come from? Scott needed support. Fair enough if the plan was to get a foothold in the game then go for it. When we had them rattled and had all the ball ... and were losing chasing a goal - he has to roll the dice, he has to get attacking players on. Hampden would have suited Melkerson and Jasper much more than Tynecastle. Why are they playing in the previous game and not now - not when we are needing a goal. Jasper was what 5 mins injury time - Melkerson on 15 mins down to 10 men

Newell a walking red card.

Make the changes - affect the game.. manage the game.

NZ Green
17-04-2022, 12:37 AM
I think he should get another transfer window, we pass the ball around well, we just don't have a consistent striker to reward it. Also his first run at management, a few more lessons to settle in and he'll be good I reckon.

sunshinejim
17-04-2022, 12:42 AM
Experiment hasn't worked.

We have lost back to back derbies in consecutive weeks which has...

Allowed Hearts to send us to bottom six
Allowed Hearts to clinch 3rd
Allowed Hearts to clinch European group stage football worth £5m
Allowed Hearts to reach another Scottish Cup final at our expense

And we are supposed to be happy about it after today? Maloney has to go.

Why are Hearts so much imposed upon yer fella?

They live inside our heads. Gimps.

Mon Hibs.

EricM
17-04-2022, 01:02 AM
Has to go at the end of the season.

His footballing philosophy doesn’t match ours now and it won’t change in the future.

I understand the slow build up, pass repeatedly across the back line, “if we’ve got the ball they can’t score” style is the way the modern game is played at the top level and there have been glimpses of it working but I can’t see it getting much better with the calibre of players we have now or will have in the near future.

Tha Cabbage Kid
17-04-2022, 04:18 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHow do you know this? Because of how he talks on camera?

Arnie
17-04-2022, 04:43 AM
How do you know this? Because of how he talks on camera?

I know this from watching his disastrous time in charge at Easter Road. He has helped turn us back 10 years easy. Back to soft old Hibs.

B.H.F.C
17-04-2022, 04:47 AM
I genuinely don’t know. I think our problems are bigger than the manager currently. We’ve screwed up on a monumental scale this season and unless we sort ourselves out off the pitch the next guy will suffer the same as the two we’ve had this season.

Bottom line is we had two season defining games against our biggest rivals and lost both. I don’t think he can come back from it, even if he put up a decent fight yesterday.

Johnny Clash
17-04-2022, 05:22 AM
Stay. Let’s judge him after he’s had a chance to bring in the type of players who can comfortably play his style. Ron Gordon needs to give him the resources to build his squad otherwise why appoint him in the first place?

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 05:41 AM
Stay. Let’s judge him after he’s had a chance to bring in the type of players who can comfortably play his style. Ron Gordon needs to give him the resources to build his squad otherwise why appoint him in the first place?

You cannot seriously expect to last long as a manager in Scotland if you need a whole squad of perfect players to get any results.

hibsbollah
17-04-2022, 05:45 AM
You cannot seriously expect to last long as a manager in Scotland if you need a whole squad of perfect players to get any results.

Nobody said he needed a whole squad of perfect players.
If you’re going to debate with someone its just polite not to make things up.

Since452
17-04-2022, 05:49 AM
Can't win the big games. Or any games really.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 05:51 AM

Absolutely nobody has suggested that other than yourself.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 05:51 AM
Nobody said he needed a whole squad of perfect players.
If you’re going to debate with someone its just polite not to make things up.

That seems to be the narrative, though. Like, he cannot get anything above relegation form without his own players, what happens when they move on?

It's a shame but pretty much everything points to Maloney continuing to struggle. He isn't getting any good results whatsoever.

McGruber
17-04-2022, 05:56 AM
Were we not guaranteed to strengthen this season after a third place finish as well?

Why is it absolutely guaranteed to go well for Hearts?

Pleasantly surprised that in the aftermath of a derby defeat at Hampden there’s still a decent majority want him to stay ����

Based on a Hibs net poll! I think the majority want him out, those that way inclined probably less likely to vote or even look at football forums. We will see what the majority want via attendances and season ticket sales.

As for someone elses comment on Hearts guaranteed to strengthen - they don't know, nobody does when every signing is a gamble. Decent educated guess though given they have added circa 6 million extra to their coffers and brought in a recruitment team that signed really well last season.

I think we could/should have won yesterday with the players stepping up but Maloney's crap management of the game in not seizing on being on the front foot and putting on attacking reinforcements kept our task to equalise more difficult.

Hopefully he's gone this morning and it's too early for the news. I just can't sleep cos getting beat twice in a week from those gimps has done me in. He'll never be forgiven for it

hibsbollah
17-04-2022, 06:03 AM
That seems to be the narrative, though. Like, he cannot get anything above relegation form without his own players, what happens when they move on?

It's a shame but pretty much everything points to Maloney continuing to struggle. He isn't getting any good results whatsoever.

I think one narrative is he’s been particularly unlucky with injuries. Any manager would struggle with the amount of squad changes he’s been having to make in crucial areas. At a time when the style of play is going through a dramatic change you need consistency.

I like the system he plays, and I think it can work even in Scotland, but you need better players in that system and Ron needs to either trust him with more money to spend or get rid and find someone that he does trust. Trying to be a Ferrari with Trabant parts does no one any good.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 06:04 AM
Based on a Hibs net poll! I think the majority want him out, those that way inclined probably less likely to vote or even look at football forums. We will see what the majority want via attendances and season ticket sales.

As for someone elses comment on Hearts guaranteed to strengthen - they don't know, nobody does when every signing is a gamble. Decent educated guess though given they have added circa 6 million extra to their coffers and brought in a recruitment team that signed really well last season.

I think we could/should have won yesterday with the players stepping up but Maloney's crap management of the game in not seizing on being on the front foot and putting on attacking reinforcements kept our task to equalise more difficult.

Hopefully he's gone this morning and it's too early for the news. I just can't sleep cos getting beat twice in a week from those gimps has done me in. He'll never be forgiven for it

I never heard anyone at the game boo him or call for his head either.

The majority don’t want him out.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2022, 06:06 AM
I think one narrative is he’s been particularly unlucky with injuries. Any manager would struggle with the amount of squad changes he’s been having to make in crucial areas. At a time when the style of play is going through a dramatic change you need consistency.

I like the system he plays, and I think it can work even in Scotland, but you need better players in that system and Ron needs to either trust him with more money to spend or get rid and find someone that he does trust. Trying to be a Ferrari with Trabant parts does no one any good.

Does he only have the 1 style, then? Is there nothing whatsoever he could do to make this side better by playing a style that suits them?

I really just don't see it. I desperately want us to succeed but it's not looking very likely.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 06:09 AM
Does he only have the 1 style, then? Is there nothing whatsoever he could do to make this side better by playing a style that suits them?

I really just don't see it. I desperately want us to succeed but it's not looking very likely.

We played a different formation yesterday.

Jack Ross played a different style. That wasn’t succeeding either, in fact it was every bit as bad towards the end.

The squad/players are the issue here imo.

hibsbollah
17-04-2022, 06:12 AM

You mean a ‘plan b’? Apologies if I have you confused with another poster but I thought you didn’t believe in Plan B?

This podcast is usually awful listening, can’t stand the presenters but the interviewee is very good on the Belgian way if you’re interested. I still feel it’s a system that needs quality on the ball more than the hearts system does. We don’t have the quality to play that way at the moment unfortunately.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5JjX6yKuRPrLJfajaIpCUD?si=oiaV805lQiuQpsO6fL46-Q

Turkish Green
17-04-2022, 06:12 AM
If the only way Maloney can achieve beating our city rivals is to instruct the players to go out and foul then this is not the team I have supported for 30 years.

Go, just go.

tonyrougier123
17-04-2022, 06:14 AM
I’ve not voted as I use lite.canny be bothered switching to vote on this.
My feelings are that we need another change of direction.
He won’t get time the supporters are too divided,and the derby defeats have been painful at best this past fortnight,it will be hard for him to win back some in the support.
The problems might not be isolated to the dugout,kensall made a big call on hauge and melkerson and failing to address the first team issues,yet again by the way after acknowledging them is up for scrutiny as well.
If we don’t recruit well in the summer and have a manager able to get a tune out the squad it could be worry some.
We cannot afford to take the form we’ve been in on to the start of next season.
Why have been in such limbo on the transfer agenda for so long now.

The owner has to recognise that a team must be built in order to compete for Europe on the regular.

Always doing patchwork on the squad is a real issue.

Injuries have been an issue but let’s not paper over cracks and convince ourselves what’s being served up is anywhere near what Hibernian fc deserve.

hibsbollah
17-04-2022, 06:14 AM
If the only way Maloney can achieve beating our city rivals is to instruct the players to go out and foul then this is not the team I have supported for 30 years.

Go, just go.

He didn’t instruct them to do that.

McGruber
17-04-2022, 06:17 AM

No point arguing what neither of us know. The attendances will tell us going forward and season ticket sales if he is still here.

I never heard anyone booing round me either, the support yesterday was tremendous and players deserved it for their fight, passion and effort. They came up short but gave everything, that's never getting boos and nowt to do with Maloney.

Plenty boos during our catastrophic series of performances and results as we've plummeted to bottom 6 obscurity. What has it been 5 or 6 goals in 14/15 games without a win. Utter disaster.

What you can't deny whether you are in the stay camp or the go camp is the fanbase is split. Not a good place for the club to be

Heisenberg
17-04-2022, 06:17 AM
His insistence on playing out from the back cost us yesterday. We clearly don’t have the players for it. From the goalkeeper to defenders they all look highly uncomfortable. Even Porteous yesterday, who is normally the best of a bad lot, looked dreadful and gave it away numerous times.

Maloney clearly isn’t learning in that regard. He’s got his style and is sticking to it despite it failing to pick up acceptable results. Not the best sign.

MikeyS
17-04-2022, 06:24 AM

Plenty around me giving him pelters after the game.

Baader
17-04-2022, 06:47 AM

He has been unfortunate with injuries, that's true.

But he accepted the job knowing what was there. He's never going to have 'Ferrari' parts and he shouldn't be limited to just one style of play. The whole Belgium chat is ridiculous as you suggest. We are closer to pub league standard than the likes of Kevin De Bruyne unfortunately. Every team in this league is.

McGruber
17-04-2022, 06:50 AM
His insistence on playing out from the back cost us yesterday. We clearly don’t have the players for it. From the goalkeeper to defenders they all look highly uncomfortable. Even Porteous yesterday, who is normally the best of a bad lot, looked dreadful and gave it away numerous times.

Maloney clearly isn’t learning in that regard. He’s got his style and is sticking to it despite it failing to pick up acceptable results. Not the best sign.

Halliday saying they worked on it in training - pressing goal kicks and pressing high up. It's Maloneys tactics and shocking from the players - Maloney's insistence though. As the opposition you could use it as a tactic - just you run offside high up so it gives them a free kick around their goal and a chance for us to score from it.

Had a couple warnings just before it aswell -crazy

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 06:52 AM
He has been unfortunate with injuries, that's true.

But he accepted the job knowing what was there. He's never going to have 'Ferrari' parts and he shouldn't be limited to just one style of play. The whole Belgium chat is ridiculous as you suggest. We are closer to pub league standard than the likes of Kevin De Bruyne unfortunately. Every team in this league is.

He accepted the job with Martin Boyle as part of his squad and a hell of a lot less in the way of injuries than he has now. He had Martin Boyle, Kevin Nisbet, Christian Doidge. At that point Kyle Magennis was due back pretty soon.

1 of them has been sold, 2 of them are now out for the season and Doidge hasn’t been able to recapture any sort of form and has now disappeared to the treatment room as well.

To replace them, he’s been given a bunch of 19/20 year olds and players who have hardly played any first team football at this level.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 07:07 AM
Bigger problems in and around Maloney and certainly bigger problems above him at the moment.

People won't accept it but Jack Ross signed some average players and left behind an average squad. Says everything that some fans were sad that Drey Wright was injured for the cup game.

He's come onto a game but let's be honest he shouldn't have been signed in the first place.

The way Jack Ross was going we were going to end up with a squad built entirely from signings from bottom 6 sides. St Mirren, St Johnstone, Hamilton...

This isn't entirely Jack Ross' fault. However, it looks like it is more than people will accept. Heckingbottom, we signed players from England. Ross, we signed players from Scottish leagues...clearly manager has a big say in who we sign.

Maloney needs time IF Ron Gordon is going to back him and IF we plan to get scouting and player recruitment right. Otherwise, may as well just run a fan competition to be Hibs manager. Quality of players we sign is paramount; strong characters with some technical ability are needed.

Smartie
17-04-2022, 07:08 AM
We played a different formation yesterday.

Jack Ross played a different style. That wasn’t succeeding either, in fact it was every bit as bad towards the end.

The squad/players are the issue here imo.

I thought part of the reason we played better yesterday was because he went with a more “normal” formation.

It still had the usual wacky selections with players in bizarre positions but you could see what he was trying to address this time. If he’d played that way more often this season, I suspect we might have sneaked into the top 6.

Hibrandenburg
17-04-2022, 07:18 AM
Maloney in for now.

Genuinely not sure what we get by changing the manager at this time.

We need to sign a better calibre of player in the summer and need more depth.

Club were arrogant, Jack Ross was loyal and arrogant. No cover for many positions throughout the team, left unresolved for ages and now we're reliant on young players on loan to make an impact.

If players hadn't fought today it would've been Maloney out. On today's showing they are still fighting for him and the club. Massive summer ahead.

We need a new manager in now so he can work with the players and see what he has to work with before going on a shopping spree. Both the manager and the current squad aren't up to the job.

Bridge hibs
17-04-2022, 07:19 AM
For those who want him to stay - what’s success next season?

League position?

Cups ?

Players / formation (captain etc) / playing style ?

Just trying to picture this improvement.I think a bit of everything to be honest, we certainly have to put up a much better fight in games, far too powderpuff from back, middle to front. We need experienced players in the team to blend in with youth

Is any of that achievable with Maloney et al in charge, that Im not sure off, lets see if the board back him as most fans dont, certainly going by posts on here anyway

Since452
17-04-2022, 07:21 AM
At the end of the day he's had three massive games in a row and won none of them. Lost to Hearts twice in a week. Where does it end?

Coco Bryce
17-04-2022, 07:22 AM
Go. Not got a clue what he's doing.

Astonishing how people think a slightly better more effort, but still another defeat, against a Hearts team that bad is acceptable. No wonder our club is in such a mess.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 07:27 AM
We need a new manager in now so he can work with the players and see what he has to work with before going on a shopping spree. Both the manager and the current squad aren't up to the job.

How is a new manager going on shopping spree? Doubt that will happen unless Ron Gordon gets cheque book out.

What Scottish manager from lower league teams do we want? An ex-Hibs player somewhere? Scott Brown? Sure they all know how to manage a football team better...

GreenCastle
17-04-2022, 07:27 AM
Halliday saying they worked on it in training - pressing goal kicks and pressing high up. It's Maloneys tactics and shocking from the players - Maloney's insistence though. As the opposition you could use it as a tactic - just you run offside high up so it gives them a free kick around their goal and a chance for us to score from it.

Remember Hearts trying to play out from the back with Stendal and Boyle / Allan just set traps at Tynecastle and we scored goals.

Maloneys style of play will never work for a full game at Tynecastle due to the ridiculous small pitch unless he has very good players.

Even on a bigger pitch - McGinn who wasn’t match sharp was caught out yesterday and 5 seconds later we were 1-0 down.

The every signing is a gamble chat and he has to recruit better is part of the problem. I listened to a Joe Savage podcast about how Hearts recruit and they do their homework so the player fits the club and gets what it’s like to play in Scotland. We don’t seem to do that - we did for a while but have reverted back to signing potential and players just to fit a system without the character part.

Bottom line is we can’t afford to fail with recruitment with the next players who come in. My concern is whether Maloney and / or the recruitment team understand this or will make same mistakes again. That’s probably where I have a serious trust issue with Maloney to get it right. At least a new manager would surely identify the soft touch / lack of character part of the team.

Chorley Hibee
17-04-2022, 07:34 AM

The latest in a line of 'modern managers' who are welded to an ideology rather than trying to work with what they have at their disposal.

It's exemplifies his poor management, not to mention his ego as well.

My worry is we stumble on with this latest failure until October/November before getting rid. We then enter yet another transitional season, with the usual sub standard loans in January, and crowds falling even further.

Callum_62
17-04-2022, 07:35 AM
He didn’t instruct them to do that.No, but he instructed us to be aggressive which lead to Joe Newell committing some fouls, which lead to a red card

I was furious last week at how meek we were and now I'm furious that we tried to get in about them

I'm also furious that we tried to pass the ball, lost it and Sims scored a goal

I was also furious at how pragmatic and direct Jack Ross style of play was

Rinse and repeat for the next fall guy

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
17-04-2022, 07:39 AM
I thought part of the reason we played better yesterday was because he went with a more “normal” formation.

It still had the usual wacky selections with players in bizarre positions but you could see what he was trying to address this time. If he’d played that way more often this season, I suspect we might have sneaked into the top 6.

I also remember hearing some top coaches say you should never make huge changes for important games as the players need to be in the flow of the game and not worrying about new formations etc when there is enough pressure as it is.

Now I’m not saying he should have stuck with what wasn’t working but the change of shape seemed to make a difference but we still looked vulnerable at the back. At times Hanlon and Porto were 2v2 and Hearts got in behind us quite a few times first half and again with Boyce near half time and could have been game over. I also have think Porto plays worse alongside Hanlon. When he was injured Porto played the best he’s played. I’m just not sure the 2 of them together are a good fit. Would be interesting to know if you spoke to them about it.

Gatecrasher
I'm surprised to see the bigger margin for him staying to be honest. I respect those opinions and that they are based off a fighting performance, I suspect when we get little joy from the bottom 6 teams those will start to turn.

Smartie
Maloney should have taken Newell off. It was clear as day what was coming.

I have no issue with Maloney’s instruction to play on the edge, we were much better for it. The manager needs to be able to spot when a player has been booked and then given the benefit of the doubt a couple of times - because then there’s no margin for error if you play on the edge.

Newell’s actions are on him. But Maloney should have spotted what the rest of the world spotted, it’s his job.

Chorley Hibee
17-04-2022, 07:40 AM
Go. Not got a clue what he's doing.

Astonishing how people think a slightly better more effort, but still another defeat, against a Hearts team that bad is acceptable. No wonder our club is in such a mess.

They displayed the bare minimum in what I expect from a Hibs team in a game of that magnitude.

The fact it's being used by some as something to be enthused about, rather than reflecting upon why we've lost again, shows us the mentality that still pervades ER.

4 defeats at Hampden to that lot in 16 years and an aggregate score of 13-3. Don't worry though, at least James Scott ran about a bit this time.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 07:41 AM
They displayed the bare minimum in what I expect from a Hibs team in a game of that magnitude.

The fact it's being used by some as something to be enthused about, rather than reflecting upon why we've lost again, shows us the mentality that still pervades ER.

4 defeats at Hampden to that lot in 16 years and an aggregate score of 13-3. Don't worry though, at least James Scott ran about a bit this time.

We were the better team for the vast majority of the game. Let’s not make up nonsense that the only reason people thought we done well is cause we put in a bit of effort and nothing else.

Smartie
17-04-2022, 07:43 AM
I also remember hearing some top coaches say you should never make huge changes for important games as the players need to be in the flow of the game and not worrying about new formations etc when there is enough pressure as it is.

Now I’m not saying he should have stuck with what wasn’t working but the change of shape seemed to make a difference but we still looked vulnerable at the back. At times Hanlon and Porto were 2v2 and Hearts got in behind us quite a few times first half and again with Boyce near half time and could have been game over. I also have think Porto plays worse alongside Hanlon. When he was injured Porto played the best he’s played. I’m just not sure the 2 of them together are a good fit. Would be interesting to know if you spoke to them about it.

Yeah, I thought we were ropey at the back 1sf half, and I don’t know if bringing back both McGinn and Porto was a wise choice.

It was the second half that was an improvement really, and the players had had 45 minutes to settle in by that point.

ShetlandHibby
17-04-2022, 07:44 AM
We were the better team for the vast majority of the game. Let’s not make up nonsense that the only reason people thought we done well is cause we put in a bit of effort and nothing else.

We created one chance. All we did was run about and put the boot in. We managed to injure a lot of their players. That’s the sum total of ‘being the better team’

Chorley Hibee
17-04-2022, 07:46 AM

We lost, yet again.

That's all that matters.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 07:46 AM

How did Jack Ross keep his job for as long as he did? Why do some fans keep saying "he shouldnt have been sacked"? Why is Jack Ross' derby defeats and cup failures regarded as successes?

Jack Ross routinely got owned by St Johnstone, failed against Hearts in the cup and still people want him back.

Why is it Maloney signifies this mentality at ER? People don't like his height? Doesn't dress as smartly as Jack Ross?

Chorley Hibee
17-04-2022, 07:49 AM
We created one chance. All we did was run about and put the boot in. We managed to injure a lot of their players. That’s the sum total of ‘being the better team’

Agreed, the idea we were playing them off the park is nonsense and, as you correctly state, we created very little once again.

Effort and physicality should come as standard in such a game.

Sioux
17-04-2022, 07:50 AM

A team trying to score a goal deliberately have someone run offside so that the opposition can have a free kick?

:faf::faf::faf:

Chorley Hibee
17-04-2022, 07:52 AM
How did Jack Ross keep his job for as long as he did? Why do some fans keep saying "he shouldnt have been sacked"? Why is Jack Ross' derby defeats and cup failures regarded as successes?

Jack Ross routinely got owned by St Johnstone, failed against Hearts in the cup and still people want him back.

Why is it Maloney signifies this mentality at ER? People don't like his height? Doesn't dress as smartly as Jack Ross?

You've mistakenly attributed my criticism of Maloney as me being pro Jack Ross.

I wanted Ross out, and I had plenty of criticism for his reign at ER too.

The idea you must be in one camp or the other is just silly.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 07:58 AM
You've mistakenly attributed my criticism of Maloney as me being pro Jack Ross.

I wanted Ross out, and I had plenty of criticism for his reign at ER too.

The idea you must be in one camp or the other is just silly.

So you think yet another manager change will get us a strong mentality at ER? I've no idea what manager we should be after now. Most suggestions from fans will be Kevin Thomson, Scott Brown or Malky Mackay. Glad fans aren't in charge of club.

Players are the weakness. We need to be more ruthless. Shouldn't be giving out lengthy contracts to poor or average players. Can't build on top of what we have. Doesn't matter what manager we bring in. Need 5-6 quality players in with strong mentalities.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 08:00 AM
We lost, yet again.

That's all that matters.

And yet you’re sitting here posting about effort etc.

It seems the score is all that matters if somebody has anything positive to say yet if you want to be negative then the performance, effort levels etc matter.

Since452
17-04-2022, 08:01 AM
Sadly it doesn't look like Ron is going to show Maloney the same ruthlessness he showed Ross. Disappointing really. Didn't necessarily agree with Ross being punted but at least it showed that Ron wouldn't accept a bad run of form and a high bar had been set. Well I thought so anyway. Was obviously just a smokescreen.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2022, 08:10 AM
Genuinely stunned people want him to stay.

He’s been a disaster. For his entire reign, we’ve rarely look like scoring. He sticks stubbornly to this ridiculous 7 behind the ball nonsense and showed absolutely no signs whatsoever that he’s capable of doing this job.

I’ve had a season ticket now for 15 years and I’m genuinely considering not renewing as I really can’t bare the thought of watching the dross he serves up.

Chorley Hibee
17-04-2022, 08:47 AM
And yet you’re sitting here posting about effort etc.

It seems the score is all that matters if somebody has anything positive to say yet if you want to be negative then the performance, effort levels etc matter.

Effort shouldn't be seen as a positive, that is the point I'm trying to make.

It should be standard!

Christ, if they can't show effort in a Scottish Cup Semi Final, against Hearts, then we really do have problems.

McGruber
17-04-2022, 08:49 AM
A team trying to score a goal deliberately have someone run offside so that the opposition can have a free kick?

:faf::faf::faf:

No, I know - said firmly tongue in cheek. Just ridiculous how often it happens, how predictable it is, how much it is hurting us.

Goodwin at St Mirren, Hearts - teams pressing high on the basis that we always try play it short and often muck it up / gift goals and opportunities. They know we aren't good enough to pull it off. They all know. Only Maloney doesn't

madhatter
17-04-2022, 08:52 AM
No, I know - said firmly tongue in cheek. Just ridiculous how often it happens, how predictable it is, how much it is hurting us.

Goodwin at St Mirren, Hearts - teams pressing high on the basis that we always try play it short and often muck it up / gift goals and opportunities. They know we aren't good enough to pull it off. They all know. Only Maloney doesn't

How does Maloney find out who is good enough to play the way he wants without playing the way he wants?

Play 442 hoofball until the end of the season? Goodwin is such a genius he's not got a tune out of Aberdeen yet.

blackpoolhibs
All we are arguing about is another loser of a manager getting a half decent performance in another game we've lost, and arguing that its enough to give him more time. He is a dead man walking, everybody knows it.

Tambo
I don't want Maloney sacked but I really don't understand why he don't play to our strengths? It's obviously not working how he wants to go about playing.

Other managers, pundits and even fans can see how we are going to play before a ball is kicked.

Tambo
17-04-2022, 08:54 AM
How does Maloney find out who is good enough to play the way he wants without playing the way he wants?

Play 442 hoofball until the end of the season? Goodwin is such a genius he's not got a tune out of Aberdeen yet.

How many games does he need to be in charge of to see things ain't working?? How is next season going to be any different with this style?

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 08:58 AM

He sees them daily in training.

There are also styles of football between the two extremes of hoofball and aimless passing around the back.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2022, 08:58 AM
I'm surprised to see the bigger margin for him staying to be honest. I respect those opinions and that they are based off a fighting performance, I suspect when we get little joy from the bottom 6 teams those will start to turn.

I am a bit surprised with that too if I'm honest and think you're right in that it's based on a gutsy second half performance. The end result was still defeat though and it's becoming much too common for us to lose.

I've slept on it and my opinion hasn't changed, I still think we need to admit that we made a mistake with Maloney and start planning for next season.

This season has been an utter disaster, not all of it is Maloney's fault but we are going nowhere under him and we have had three must win games in a row over the last two weeks and won none of them resulting in us finishing in the bottom six and yet another defeat to Hearts at Hampden.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 08:59 AM
How many games does he need to be in charge of to see things ain't working?? How is next season going to be any different with this style?

Things ain't working because we have absolutely nothing upfront. People are expecting progress from Jack Ross even though when we finished 3rd Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle were like goal machines. Now? Nisbet - crippled, Doidge - injured and struggling to make any comeback, Boyle - Gone.

Different with this style? Mitchell hopefully doesn't get injured almost immediately which then gives us pace to stretch the pitch. We sign a fast, physical striker and another pacey winger. We also sign 2 CBs, 2 midfielders and 1 goalkeeper.

Eyrie
17-04-2022, 09:03 AM

If Maloney is a good manager, he would adapt his system and tactics to suit the available players whilst still using enough concepts to evaluate them, and then evolve over the course of the current season based on what is and isn't working.

There was a very clear and achievable objective when Maloney was appointed - make the top six, more prize money, get two home games against Hearts and Sevco, secure European football for next season and create a sense of anticipation to encourage season ticket renewals. All that adds up to plenty of money to spend in the summer on improving the squad with players who are more suited to how Maloney wants to play, and an offseason to work with the current players to understand that system.

Maloney failed because of his inflexibility. He's had half a season to show sufficient signs of progress and instead we've gone backwards.

Tambo
17-04-2022, 09:03 AM
Things ain't working because we have absolutely nothing upfront. People are expecting progress from Jack Ross even though when we finished 3rd Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle were like goal machines. Now? Nisbet - crippled, Doidge - injured and struggling to make any comeback, Boyle - Gone.

Different with this style? Mitchell hopefully doesn't get injured almost immediately which then gives us pace to stretch the pitch. We sign a fast, physical striker and another pacey winger. We also sign 2 CBs, 2 midfielders and 1 goalkeeper.

So 8 new players for the summer? On our budget and at our level who you expecting to come in and make all the difference with the style Maloney wants to continue to Play.

Hibrandenburg
17-04-2022, 09:04 AM
How is a new manager going on shopping spree? Doubt that will happen unless Ron Gordon gets cheque book out.

What Scottish manager from lower league teams do we want? An ex-Hibs player somewhere? Scott Brown? Sure they all know how to manage a football team better...Funds should be available for every transfer window. I have zero faith that Maloney would make good use of those funds.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

SlickShoes
17-04-2022, 09:05 AM
I don't want Maloney sacked but I really don't understand why he don't play to our strengths? It's obviously not working how he wants to go about playing.

Other managers, pundits and even fans can see how we are going to play before a ball is kicked.

What strengths? We’ve been dire all season no matter what way we’ve been set up to play, the only out we had was Boyle having a good game.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 09:07 AM

What are our strengths? What is it that this squad has that we should be using to our advantage but aren’t?

We’ve absolutely no pace. We’ve little physicality. We’ve little in the way of stand out high level technical players. We’ve often got little experience available.

For all the talk of how Maloney won’t ever change his formation/system (which is nonsense) I’ve yet to see anyone point out what the glaringly obvious changes are.

The squad is poor. No change of system is fixing that imo.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:09 AM
If Maloney is a good manager, he would adapt his system and tactics to suit the available players whilst still using enough concepts to evaluate them, and then evolve over the course of the current season based on what is and isn't working.

There was a very clear and achievable objective when Maloney was appointed - make the top six, more prize money, get two home games against Hearts and Sevco, secure European football for next season and create a sense of anticipation to encourage season ticket renewals. All that adds up to plenty of money to spend in the summer on improving the squad with players who are more suited to how Maloney wants to play, and an offseason to work with the current players to understand that system.

Maloney failed because of his inflexibility. He's had half a season to show sufficient signs of progress and instead we've gone backwards.

Who would you have played upfront?

What changes would you have made in centre mid?

People keep listing changes Maloney could've made as if we've got a massive list of options. He could've made changes, that much is clear, but being realistic he had a 19 year old Norwegian who has never played on grass before as his only option upfront for weeks. We have no pace in our team, no real height, no real mobility and creativity in midfield. Jack Ross was hopeless with this squad in the end. He didn't play Maloney-ball but we were still garbage.

mcfly
17-04-2022, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=Stubbsy90+2;6926208]We were the better team for the vast majority of the game. Let’s not make up nonsense that the only reason people thought we done well is cause we put in a bit of effort and nothing else.[/QUOT

I don’t care if we were the better team?

We still lost - so what if we put in a as
bit more effort. We still lost.

As a club We need to win the big games.

It’s not good enough

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 09:10 AM
What strengths? We’ve been dire all season no matter what way we’ve been set up to play, the only out we had was Boyle having a good game.

Two goalkeepers who have first team experience

Excellent engines at wing back. Cadden, Doig, Clarke, Mitchell, Stevenson, McGinn.

Experienced, solid CB. Porto, Hanlon, Clarke. Good leadership in this role too.

Midfield - Stevenson can also offer plenty of dig in there. Newell seventh in the league for interceptions. Henderson can pick a pass, and although his best days are behind him, so can Allan.

Up front - we have one of the leagues best target man in Christian Doidge. Once you get him firing he can’t stop scoring.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:12 AM
Funds should be available for every transfer window. I have zero faith that Maloney would make good use of those funds.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Did you have faith in Jack Ross using the finances? He got a decent spell of signing St Mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton players. Most of which we've cleared out.

Pointless debate. Ron Gordon didn't want Jack Ross spending his money. It'll be Ron Gordon's choice, it'll be Ron Gordon Maloney will need to convince.

Tambo
17-04-2022, 09:12 AM
What are our strengths? What is it that this squad has that we should be using to our advantage but aren’t?

We’ve absolutely no pace. We’ve little physicality. We’ve little in the way of stand out high level technical players. We’ve often got little experience available.

For all the talk of how Maloney won’t ever change his formation/system (which is nonsense) I’ve yet to see anyone point out what the glaringly obvious changes are.

The squad is poor. No change of system is fixing that imo.

Well our strengths under Maloney are definitely not piss about with it at the back like we are AC Milan of the 90's. Why Matt Macey gets giving a pass with the ball at his feet so many times when he can't pass a ball with his feet.

For me with this squad would be get the ball out wide as quick as possible and attack but it takes an age to get out wide.

Sorry for my opinion.

Eyrie
17-04-2022, 09:15 AM

People keep listing changes Maloney could've made as if we've got a massive list of options. He could've made changes, that much is clear, but being realistic he had a 19 year old Norwegian who has never played on grass before as his only option upfront for weeks. We have no pace in our team, no real height, no real mobility and creativity in midfield. Jack Ross was hopeless with this squad in the end. He didn't play Maloney-ball but we were still garbage.

I'm not talking about yesterday, I'm talking about how Maloney should have approached his first half season in charge.

However he could have pushed to sign a better back up for Nisbet as our lone striker than Doidge (too slow) and Melkerson. We could also try playing with two strikers. In midfield, Maloney got rid of Tait, Hallberg and Gogic so the lack of options is as least as much his fault as anyone else.

And for the record, I've never advocated bringing Ross back.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:16 AM
So 8 new players for the summer? On our budget and at our level who you expecting to come in and make all the difference with the style Maloney wants to continue to Play.

Get Jack Ross back then. We can sign players from St Mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton. We can play bottom 6 style football with bottom 6 quality players.

Even better let's get Kevin Thomson, Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker dream team in. We can all say they know Hibs, they know what it means and all the typical Hibs nonsense.

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 09:16 AM
Get Jack Ross back then. We can sign players from St Mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton. We can play bottom 6 style football with bottom 6 quality players.

Even better let's get Kevin Thomson, Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker dream team in. We can all say they know Hibs, they know what it means and all the typical Hibs nonsense.

We finished third under Jack Ross.

Eyrie
17-04-2022, 09:17 AM

The same bottom six football with bottom six players that saw us finish third last season?

Ross' football wasn't great this season, but let's not rewrite history.

mcfly
17-04-2022, 09:20 AM

Excellent engines at wing back. Cadden, Doig, Clarke, Mitchell, Stevenson, McGinn.

Midfield - Stevenson can also offer plenty of dig in there. Newell seventh in the league for interceptions. Henderson can pick a pass, and although his best days are behind him, so can Allan.

Up front - we have one of the leagues best target man in Christian Doidge. Once you get him firing he can’t stop scoring.

I needed a laugh this morning- thank you

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:20 AM
I'm not talking about yesterday, I'm talking about how Maloney should have approached his first half season in charge.

However he could have pushed to sign a better back up for Nisbet as our lone striker than Doidge (too slow) and Melkerson. We could also try playing with two strikers. In midfield, Maloney got rid of Tait, Hallberg and Gogic so the lack of options is as least as much his fault as anyone else.

And for the record, I've never advocated bringing Ross back.

It's his first managerial post. He came in as the window was starting. Genuinely think people dislike him due to him seeming weak because his way of speaking(and his height), and that he isn't an ex-Hibs man.

If he was an ex-Hibs player he wouldn't be getting hounded as much. People would look at how he came in and place more blame on Jack Ross, the club and the recruitment team.

Mick O'Rourke
17-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Yes,as fans,we are primarily concerned with the fitba team and want success ,third place, cup runs/wins and European tourneys.

It appears what Shaun is tasked to do is going to take time.
We really need some stability and just have faith in Shaun and his team to deliver.
We are all disconsolate about the way this season has gone and the back to back losses to the hertz.
That is their best against us since the cheating years,mind.
Think on that .We dumped them in our cup winning year and season later.

I look forward to next term. Shaun will have and can say then that this is my team and i look forward to,as we all do, good times !

Keep the faith

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 09:24 AM
It's his first managerial post. He came in as the window was starting. Genuinely think people dislike him due to him seeming weak because his way of speaking(and his height), and that he isn't an ex-Hibs man.

If he was an ex-Hibs player he wouldn't be getting hounded as much. People would look at how he came in and place more blame on Jack Ross, the club and the recruitment team.

I dislike him because his record mirrors Terry Butchers. Terrible football, in free fall, terrible recruitment (and he was there for a couple of weeks before the window), can’t make a decent sub, sticks with a style of play that doesn’t work.

To suggest it’s because he’s not very tall is laughable.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:25 AM
The same bottom six football with bottom six players that saw us finish third last season?

Ross' football wasn't great this season, but let's not rewrite history.

Don't rewrite history? Let's not compare Doidge, Nisbet and Boyle being in prolific form with a 19 year old Norwegian striker who has only played half a dozen games on grass then.

History? Jack Ross struggled to beat St Johnstone. Had teams that collapsed in latter stages of cup competitions. Twice against the aforementioned St Johnstone. The team that's likely to be in relegation playoff this season.

Eyrie
17-04-2022, 09:27 AM

You've replied to three of my posts this morning and in each of them I've stated where Maloney has made mistakes. Not once have I commented on anything about him as a person.

We'd all love Maloney to be a success. The fact is that he's shown no signs of that to date.

Anyway, real life beckons, so I'm out of here.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:29 AM
I dislike him because his record mirrors Terry Butchers. Terrible football, in free fall, terrible recruitment (and he was there for a couple of weeks before the window), can’t make a decent sub, sticks with a style of play that doesn’t work.

To suggest it’s because he’s not very tall is laughable.

A couple of weeks before the window starts in his first managerial post, one that he didn't even apply for...

You've convinced me. I cannot believe he didn't have a list of players pre-prepared for the job he didn't even apply for.

He changed formation against Hearts so the idea he doesn't change things is laughable.

If you don't think there is a macho man psyche in our support that think Maloney is weak because of his height and demeanour then we'll never agree on anything. Klopp could be a mouse and most people will automatically think he's a monster in the dressing room due to his height.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 09:30 AM
Well our strengths under Maloney are definitely not piss about with it at the back like we are AC Milan of the 90's. Why Matt Macey gets giving a pass with the ball at his feet so many times when he can't pass a ball with his feet.

For me with this squad would be get the ball out wide as quick as possible and attack but it takes an age to get out wide.

Sorry for my opinion.

Sorry if my post came across as arsey, I didn’t intend it to be.

I’m just genuinely stumped when people talk about how what Maloney is doing is so glaringly obviously wrong yet I really don’t see what the alternative is that would see things improve.

Jack Ross had us playing a significantly different style of football and formation and when he left we were just as bad as we are now.

There’s nothing that jumps out at me at all that I wonder why Maloney isn’t doing it other than potentially playing Allan a bit more, but even then I understand why he maybe wouldn’t be.

This squad is poor, has nobody with any real stand out attributes and a good few players with little decent attributes whatsoever.

I’d be interested to hear a proper in depth proposal as to how others would set this team up with the players that have been available the last few months because I honestly don’t have a clue what I’d have done all that differently.

We’ve often only got one available striker and when Doidge has been available he’s been dreadful. We’ve often not had more than two fit centre midfielders and quite often one of them is Campbell who is nowhere near the standard required and our defence has been all over the shop with players being in and out through injuries and suspensions. We also have a glaring lack of quality in goals imo with both goalies being below the standard required.

Our strongest position is probably wing back imo but that’s not a lot of use when all they’ve got to aim at is a young boy who can only be about 5ft9.

Since452
17-04-2022, 09:30 AM
All we are arguing about is another loser of a manager getting a half decent performance in another game we've lost, and arguing that its enough to give him more time. He is a dead man walking, everybody knows it.

Yup. There's no way back now really. We've lost two derbies in a week. I was actually somewhat happy with our showing yesterday but in the cold light of day we've lost yet again. Another huge game he hasn't won. Exactly the thing that folk said the last guy couldn't do. He's had three games in a row to try and do it. Trying hard doesn't really cut it.

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 09:31 AM
A couple of weeks before the window starts in his first managerial post, one that he didn't even apply for...

You've convinced me. I cannot believe he didn't have a list of players pre-prepared for the job he didn't even apply for.

He changed formation against Hearts so the idea he doesn't change things is laughable.

If you don't think there is a macho man psyche in our support that think Maloney is weak because of his height and demeanour then we'll never agree on anything. Klopp could be a mouse and most people will automatically think he's a monster in the dressing room due to his height.

No, we won’t agree on it because if you think that of the dozens of reasons Maloney should be sacked is because he’s not very tall then there’s not a debate to be had.

Also, Maloney didn’t just wake up one morning after a night on the tiles and found himself as Hibs manager. Whether or not he applied or was approached, it’s not a surprise to him.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 09:36 AM
No, we won’t agree on it because if you think that of the dozens of reasons Maloney should be sacked is because he’s not very tall then there’s not a debate to be had.

I don't think he should be sacked. I think all reasons given so far are extreme and are ignorant of the issues deeper within the club. We keep signing average players, we keep giving average players contract extensions and changing managers because we underperform. At some point we need to focus on the players rather than managers. We need to be more ruthless and not keep players because they are nice guys. Until we sort that it genuinely doesn't matter who the manager is. We won't sustain any success, a manager will have 1 good season and then we'll collapse. It has pretty much happened my entire life.

Stubbsy90+2
17-04-2022, 09:36 AM

There’s been all sorts of patronising pish posted about Maloney and as you say, you can guarantee it’s because of how he speaks and the fact he’s short.

If Darren McGregor was the Belgium assistant and came into manage Hibs do you think people would have been referring to him as ‘cone boy’? Of course they wouldn’t have.

Likewise, David Gray is doing the same job Maloney done at Belgium but at a much, much lower level. You can guarantee if he got the Hibs job that he wouldn’t get the same pish Maloney gets about how all he done was put out the cones etc.

mcfly
17-04-2022, 09:39 AM

Also, Maloney didn’t just wake up one morning after a night on the tiles and found himself as Hibs manager. Whether or not he applied or was approached, it’s not a surprise to him.

Its all good though cause doidge is the best target man in the league in your opinion with no goals this season. 🙈🙈🙈

MickeyEdwards
17-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Go.

Even if he does stay he'll be remembered for the hearts results forever. Dead man walking.

The game I watched yesterday had Hibs on top after the Hibs goal although Newell should not have got himself sent off which made the game more difficult for us.
the Gordon save from Porteous header was Top Class and spoilt what it was worth for us!

2-2 at that stage would have opened the game up

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Its all good though cause doidge is the best target man in the league in your opinion with no goals this season. 🙈🙈🙈

He’s been injured for a lot of it. But he’s always been a streaky goal scorer and once he gets one, he’ll get seven or eight more in quick succession. Get him firing and there are few like him.

But let’s go with “leave Maloney alone, ignore his record because he’s not very tall” as an argument. That’s good.

B.H.F.C
17-04-2022, 09:56 AM
He’s been injured for a lot of it. But he’s always been a streaky goal scorer and once he gets one, he’ll get seven or eight more in quick succession. Get him firing and there are few like him.

But let’s go with “leave Maloney alone, ignore his record because he’s not very tall” as an argument. That’s good.

He was good once he found his feet in his first season but he’s got 8 league goals since the start of last season. He can be streaky, but equally goes on long streaks without a goal.

overdrive
I’m amazed so many people want him to stay. He has showed zero to suggest he can turn things around.

I can’t believe so many people seem to have been hoodwinked by him with a bit of effort and kicking anything that moved yesterday.

We were two nil down within 20 minutes through goals that were conceded directly due to his tactics.

As others have said, effort and physicality are the minimum that we should expect. We barely get that from his teams never mind anything on top!

Tambo
Sorry if my post came across as arsey, I didn’t intend it to be.

I’m just genuinely stumped when people talk about how what Maloney is doing is so glaringly obviously wrong yet I really don’t see what the alternative is that would see things improve.

Jack Ross had us playing a significantly different style of football and formation and when he left we were just as bad as we are now.

There’s nothing that jumps out at me at all that I wonder why Maloney isn’t doing it other than potentially playing Allan a bit more, but even then I understand why he maybe wouldn’t be.

This squad is poor, has nobody with any real stand out attributes and a good few players with little decent attributes whatsoever.

I’d be interested to hear a proper in depth proposal as to how others would set this team up with the players that have been available the last few months because I honestly don’t have a clue what I’d have done all that differently.

We’ve often only got one available striker and when Doidge has been available he’s been dreadful. We’ve often not had more than two fit centre midfielders and quite often one of them is Campbell who is nowhere near the standard required and our defence has been all over the shop with players being in and out through injuries and suspensions. We also have a glaring lack of quality in goals imo with both goalies being below the standard required.

Our strongest position is probably wing back imo but that’s not a lot of use when all they’ve got to aim at is a young boy who can only be about 5ft9.

It's ok and I agree with we could have used Allan a bit more but maybe Maloney thinks his fitness would be an issue even though first half yesterday we sat off them.

Yes our strengths in past season has been out wide and no doubt Cadden was number one weapon after Boyle but like I said before it just seems an age before we get the ball out wide.

All I want is the ball moved about a bit quicker but maybe that's why I'm a poster on here and a FM manager and not Hibs manager.

mcfly
17-04-2022, 10:00 AM

What are you on about ? You said doidge was the best target man in the league. If he’s that good why is he not playing?

He will be gone in the summer

H18 SFR
17-04-2022, 10:01 AM
The way the support was yesterday has convinced me 100% that the fans can unite to support the team on match days.

Regardless of if the crowd drops to 9/10/11k at Easter Road or not, I think we will have 9/10/11k there that genuinely want to get behind the club.

onfire
17-04-2022, 10:03 AM

you are defending the manager that replaces ross purely out of an anti Ross agenda. Ross is away - and we need to move on to what’s facing us now. The football this year in the league has been a shambles- part of the debate is around should maloney have done better with what he’s had. Yesterday was about winning and IMO this was inhibited with maloney’s insistence on playing his style no matter what. If maloney is to get more time he’d do well to get a new number 2 to help guide him better.

Groathillgrump
17-04-2022, 10:13 AM
@madhatter

I've read your posts on this thread this morning and I'm staggered you seem to think that the reasons a large section of your fellow supporters want rid of Maloney are as follows:

1. He's not Jack Ross

2. He's too small

In reality it's down to his tactics, baffling team selections, poor game management and refusal to adapt his footballing 'philosophy' to suit the players he currently has at his disposal.

It's that simple.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 10:16 AM
you are defending the manager that replaces ross purely out of an anti Ross agenda. Ross is away - and we need to move on to what’s facing us now. The football this year in the league has been a shambles- part of the debate is around should maloney have done better with what he’s had. Yesterday was about winning and IMO this was inhibited with maloney’s insistence on playing his style no matter what. If maloney is to get more time he’d do well to get a new number 2 to help guide him better.

Think you've got that the wrong way around. People dislike Maloney with such verve as he is the man that replaced Jack Ross. People didn't want Jack Ross sacked. People said recruitment was Graeme Mathie's fault or the clubs fault when Jack Ross was in charge. Now, because they dislike Maloney replacing the beloved Ross, they say recruitment is almost squarely with Maloney. Ross couldn't beat St Johnstone. In my opinion he had a worse collapse against Hearts at Hampden but its not used in such a negative manner as it is with Maloney.

Maloney went to a diamond in midfield against Hearts. So he did change things. People don't want to hear it. If we started going longer rather than passing short people would complain as we have 0 physical presence upfront. Think some of our support would've been screaming "Get Doidge on" even though he is injured.

Northernhibee
17-04-2022, 10:19 AM
If he’s that good why is he not playing?

And that is a very good question. Even if he’s not fully fit he holds the ball up well, can defend at set pieces and once you get his first goal more are guaranteed to come. The way of his entire career.

We’ve got a manager who favours Sylvester Jasper who doesn’t pass, doesn’t score and runs himself into trouble at any given opportunity.

SlickShoes
17-04-2022, 10:32 AM

Ok so one of our strengths is we have two goalkeepers, great, how has maloney not utilised our goalkeepers?

We have strong wing backs and Maloney has tried to use them, Cadden has put an endless amount of balls into the box for Nisbet before his injury. Clarke - injured for months, Mitchell - injured for months, McGinn - Suspended then injured for months.

Centre halfs - Hanlon - suspended then injured, Porto - 4 match suspension, Clarke - injured for months

Midfield - Allan is past it, I can't agree he should be used more, Henderson has been good and has been used enough, Stevenson has done well when asked to play literally anywhere. Our midfield is not a strong point though and we all know this since last summer.

Up Front - Nisbet, terrible scoring record all season and now injured, Doidge - injured for ages, had covid, came back and looked so far off the pace in every game he played.

Everything you list has a strength has either been injured or suspended for months at a time, yet you expect maloney to be able to just ignore that and play to these things that are impossible.

Coco Bryce
17-04-2022, 10:34 AM

Spot on. Mediocrity seems acceptable with a large section of our fan base nowadays unfortunately. Season ticket sales will decide the outcome of this thankfully.

Since452
17-04-2022, 10:34 AM
Think you've got that the wrong way around. People dislike Maloney with such verve as he is the man that replaced Jack Ross. People didn't want Jack Ross sacked. People said recruitment was Graeme Mathie's fault or the clubs fault when Jack Ross was in charge. Now, because they dislike Maloney replacing the beloved Ross, they say recruitment is almost squarely with Maloney. Ross couldn't beat St Johnstone. In my opinion he had a worse collapse against Hearts at Hampden but its not used in such a negative manner as it is with Maloney.

Maloney went to a diamond in midfield against Hearts. So he did change things. People don't want to hear it. If we started going longer rather than passing short people would complain as we have 0 physical presence upfront. Think some of our support would've been screaming "Get Doidge on" even though he is injured.

As bad as the St Johnstone and Hearts results were last season at least we were sitting 3rd in the league. Losing yesterday is off the back of our pathetic effort to get in the top six. That's why people dislike Maloney. 3rd was still achievable when Maloney came in. This is a mess of his own doing and some picked up on it very quickly. It was a shocking appointment. All for replacing Ross but at least replace him with better.

Coco Bryce
17-04-2022, 10:36 AM

That 'Norwegian' has scored goals for us. James Scott on the other hand doesn't even score goals in training.

madhatter
17-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Spot on. Mediocrity seems acceptable with a large section of our fan base nowadays unfortunately. Season ticket sales will decide the outcome of this thankfully.

You're right. People want a manager change so we can get a manager that shouts alot and might get a bit more out of our mediocre players. For a season at least, then we can have our customary collapse and look at the manager again. Needs to get more from these players even though we know many are average and so on...

Aldo
17-04-2022, 10:41 AM
We were piss poor before SM took over losing 6/7 on the bounce and not scoring many!

Injuries haven’t helped but Heay that’s football.

What now needs to happen is RG and Co need
To decide where the club is going. As it stands it’s free fall and our rudderless club will go from manager to manager ever other season.

Massive decisions need to be made and we need a great summer of transfers, with quality required or we will find ourselves in the same position next season and the season after.

Over to you Ron

madhatter
17-04-2022, 10:43 AM
As bad as the St Johnstone and Hearts results were last season at least we were sitting 3rd in the league. Losing yesterday is off the back of our pathetic effort to get in the top six. That's why people dislike Maloney. 3rd was still achievable when Maloney came in. This is a mess of his own doing and some picked up on it very quickly. It was a shocking appointment. All for replacing Ross but at least replace him with better.

If you compare our squad with Hearts' and genuinely think 3rd was still achievable when Maloney came in we are debating from polar opposite perspectives and will never agree. I think this Hibs squad is shocking. Compare our benches and you can see the difference. Maloney called on Stevenson because he's still one of our best players even though people go in on him.