PDA

View Full Version : Hillsborough Disaster 33rd anniversary

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2022, 03:33 PM
RIP.

Where has the time gone? 🤔

hibeg
15-04-2022, 04:36 PM
If I remember correctly we played Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi final a day later.
There was a very subdued atmosphere unsurprisingly
RIP

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2022, 04:37 PM
If I remember correctly we played Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi final a day later.
RIP

Indeed we did, Steve Fulton's "Baggio" game.

Hibernia&Alba
15-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Where has the time gone indeed? I was at primary school and assembly on the Monday was about the events in Sheffield. I remember watching it unfold on Grandstand, as they kept returning for updates. At first John Motson wasn't sure what was happening, thinking it might be crowd trouble, but it quickly became clear people had been crushed. Only later, on the news, did we learn people had died.

superfurryhibby
15-04-2022, 04:57 PM
An awful day, truly horrific.

R.I.P.

You’ll never walk alone.

ErinGoBraghHFC
15-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Never Forgotten. YNWA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
15-04-2022, 05:09 PM
There were a few occasions across the era, Bradford and Heysel included, where we witnessed events at football stadia that were terrifying.

Stevie Reid
15-04-2022, 05:11 PM
Where has the time gone indeed? I was at primary school and assembly on the Monday was about the events in Sheffield. I remember watching it unfold on Grandstand, as they kept returning for updates. At first John Motson wasn't sure what was happening, thinking it might be crowd trouble, but it quickly became clear people had been crushed. Only later, on the news, did we learn people had died.

Similar for me. Was in Primary 7 and my teacher on the Monday morning spent quite a lengthy time laying out the shocking failures involved from the moment wee sat down.

Obviously it was impossible not to be emotionally effected by the event, but as someone who attended Scottish football matches as a child at the time, it hit me really hard. A lot of the stadia at the time were in shocking condition and pretty dangerous places to be - especially given that the potential for crowd trouble never seemed too far away around those times as well.

I remember when a crowd of Aberdeen fans ran at us from behind on Bothwell Street in about 1986 when I was seven and my brother was 10. It was absolutely terrifying. I was also at ER for the Celtic game in 1987 when the CS gas canister was fired into the East and everyone spilled onto the park.

Hillsborough was not only a huge tragedy but more than that. The thought of simply going to a game of football and not coming home wasn’t only absolutely terrifying - it also wasn’t that hard to imagine something of that magnitude happening up here, given how things were at the time.

Was a really frightening thought to have at that age.

gbhibby
15-04-2022, 06:07 PM
Was passing a TV shop in the St James centre when it was unfolding on screen. Said to the wife there will be multiple deaths,sadly I was proved right. I was in the thick of things at the CS gas game and ended up on the pitch. The fencing delayed people getting to safety at Easter Road that day if only lessons had been learned.

McD
15-04-2022, 06:09 PM
I was 8 at the time, primary 4. I wasn’t one for watching much football on the tv at that age, was too restless and needed to be busy.

I remember the news programmes though, the newspaper pictures, people lying on the pitch, and the sheer shock of it all.

my abiding memory is seeing the state of the fences afterwards, and struggling as a child to comprehend how human bodies could do that to metal. Still utterly heartbreaking. No one, no one at all, should ever leave home to go to a football match and not come home

brianmc
15-04-2022, 07:05 PM
RIP

My first visit to Hampden

The 16yr old me watched the whole Hillsborough disaster unfold as reported on Saturday Grandstand.

Horrific stuff indeed - and even all these years later I still feel just as horrified.

Pagan Hibernia
15-04-2022, 07:18 PM
I was six, and I remember it.

I remember seeing a picture in the newspaper of terrified and desperate faces pressed against a fence that haunted me for years.

thoughts with the 97 and their families this and every year

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2022, 12:54 AM
I was 21 and at the game, a truly horrific day that will never be forgotten. I still get emotional when I watch footage or documentaries.

Billy Whizz
16-04-2022, 05:52 AM
I was playing amateur football at the time, one of these days you’ll always remember where you were when the news broke.
After the game we went to the Powderhall Arms, and waiting for the results to come through, then the awful pictures started to come through
Just so tragic

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2022, 06:52 AM
I was 21 and at the game, a truly horrific day that will never be forgotten. I still get emotional when I watch footage or documentaries.

I was 17 when I was there, I think we've discussed it before but, it never leaves you does it?

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2022, 09:19 AM
I was 17 when I was there, I think we've discussed it before but, it never leaves you does it?

No mate it doesn’t, yes we have discussed it before on here. 👍